BRAN COUCOU

RIO/Avant-Prog

PiNioL Bran Coucou album cover

Buy PINIOL Music
Studio Album, released in 2018

1. Pilon Bran Coucou (14:02)
2. Pogne (7:15)

- Benoit Lecomte / bass, vocals
- Guilhem Meier / drums, vocals
- Jean Joly / drums

Artwork: Willy Ténia

CD Dur Et Doux ‎- DD -022 (2018, France)

2xLP Dur Et Doux ‎- DD-022 (2018, France)

FLAC download - bandcamp.com

Thanks to damoxt7942 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy PINIOL Bran Coucou Music

Bran CoucouBran Coucou
Dur Et Doux 2018
$18.05

More places to buy PINIOL music online Buy PINIOL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

PINIOL Bran Coucou ratings distribution

PINIOL Bran Coucou reviews

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Avant, Crossover & Neo Teams
4 stars The PiNioL world flooded with confusion and revolution. Needless to say, a new combo PiNioL were founded as a joint venture project by two French avantgarde rock act PoiL and ni. We've waited for their debut creation "Bran Coucou", finally that was released officially upon April 27, 2018. Already via their bandcamp we could listen to their sample "Pilon Bran Coucou" full of PoiL's cynical soundscape and ni.'s speedy, violent sound attack, and the album "Bran Coucou" has never deceived our massive expectation. Firstly the sleeve with crazy psychedelia in the design of the pics should knock us out completely. And yes, their songs upon the album sound more and more avantgarde, complicated, and delicious, pleasant for us.

The first explosion "Pilon Bran Coucou" is deeply condensed, definitely essential without expression. In this track are lots of powerful, fruitful melodic / rhythmic phrases seasoned with mischievous, jokey flavour, and amazingly all of them should be harmonized and crystallized without any deviation. Even their words / voices full of meaningless madness can be addictive really. Repetitive psychedelic footsteps let us dance over and fall down. Painful sound dissonance is rather than enjoyable for the audience. Followed by "Pogne" that would be more and more flexible and dissected. We can feel of something dangerous, critical via the former part of this track. In the latter are much rhythmic voice percussion, quite danceable (it's a liar). Even dreamy, sensitive texture e.g. in "Mimolle" sounds a tad of another dimension. Such a creativity of theirs can ring our bell, obviously. On the other hand, "Sh' Shin" is sorta mysterious stuff. It has apparent magic all around, for every fan. Sorry I cannot hear precisely but they sing vaguely in Japanese, and this atmosphere swaying to and fro should be charming I guess.

Their sound development might be effective for release of our inner mind. We PiNioL lovers as surrealistic voyagers, would like departure from our customary music scene. For an hour, we can fly away from such a ceremonious turf. Do enjoy.

Review by Tapfret
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic & C/JRF Prog Team
5 stars This writer usually tries to curb his enthusiasm when it comes to rating and reviewing new releases to allow for a cooling off period. It's not unusual to find myself coming to a slightly different conclusion about an album months, or even as short as weeks down the road . But the 2018 release of Piniol's debut album, Bran Coucou, demands attention. It has been eagerly anticipated by many in the RIO community. Unfortunately, I found myself in the dark regarding this release until quite recently. What a pleasant surprise to find out that this project was in the works.

Piniol is the conglomeration of French trio Poil, and French quartet Ni. For those familiar with the two source bands that comprise this ensemble it would come as no surprise that the sound produced by this project is large-and-in-charge. Poil's most recent album Brossaklit, contains an absurd density of music considering it's coming from just three players. Being only human, I find it absolutely impossible to not put expectations on something that I'm about to listen to when I have a known variable involved. But knowing how much sound Poil can generate made it virtually impossible to anticipate what I was in for with Piniol and the addition of Ni's performers. As I listen to the first half of the album, I did not fully grasp everything that was going on. I suppose this should not have been unexpected. For all the complexities of the musicianship in the aforementioned Poil album, there was quite a bit of it that was vocal driven. Bran Coucou has far more texturized vocal background than the in-your-face nature of Poil's vocals.

The sound is big and loud in most sections, but contains an astounding number of subtleties, particularly in the department of interwoven rhythms. I had commented elsewhere, partially tongue-in-cheek, that this was the album I've been waiting 20 years for Meshuggah to produce. Usually a comparison to that particular band will scare most people away. But it should be made clear that there's absolutely no vocal similarity and the opacity of instrumental distortion is comparatively quite subdued to allow clarity of instrumental rhythm complexity. And this is absolutely essential considering there are two drummers two bass players and two guitarist to go along with keyboards. No, this album is heavy, complex, and bone jarring, without all the grating aspects (growling, screaming or impenetrable distortion) of the compared to Swedes.

Bran Coucou is easily the best album the first half of 2018 and will be really tough for anything else to beat for the remainder of the year. It's the kind of album that's likely to remain in my play rotation for years to come. And extra credit for being my retroactive gateway to the works of Ni. Highly recommended.

5 stars Featuring the current members of French bands PoiL, Ni., and Lunatic Toys, "Bran Coucou" is a long awaited debut album by PinioL from Lion, France. PinioL is a septet composed of two autonomous power-trios which are bound into the tight ensemble by a free conductor-keyboardist. From the very fi ... (read more)

Report this review (#1939679) | Posted by raigor | Monday, June 18, 2018 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PINIOL "Bran Coucou"