TOPOS

1. Topos 1 (19:28)
2. Topos 2 (20:52)

- Nikitas Kissonas / guitar, bass, keyboards, composer, arranger & producer

With:
- Panagiotis Krabis / grand piano (2)
- Konstantinos Kefalas / trumpet
- Nikolas Nikolopoulos / flutes
- Theodore Christodoulou / drums

Artwork: Anouk Arra

LP self-released (2018, Greece)

CD self-released (2018, Greece)

FLAC download - bandcamp.com

Thanks to historian9 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy METHEXIS Topos Music

ToposTopos
Methexis
$20.99

More places to buy METHEXIS music online Buy METHEXIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

METHEXIS Topos ratings distribution

METHEXIS Topos reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
4 stars Nikitas Kissonas is back with another serious contribution to the evolution of progressive rock music with an all- instrumental set of two "side-long" pieces that are structured much more like symphonies than rock songs.

1. "Topos 1" (19:28) a spacious, multi-faceted, symphonic creation which relies much less on rock constructs and traditional rock sounds (though they're there) than anything I've heard from Nikitas before. It's as if I'm listening to a combined instrumental performance of 1970s KING CRIMSON with Gabriel-era GENESIS: stark and industrial while still, oddly, pastoral and folk-friendly. This is going to take me many listens to fully appreciate, to fully judge. It's length makes it very difficult to get a grasp on a holistically. (9/10)

2. "Topos 2" (20:52) opens like blending of a Mark Isham soundtrack with Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge and a Villalobos guitar concerto. At the end of the sixth minute synthesized sounds take over on every level, then the electronic is woven within the symphonic (or vice-versa). At the end of the ninth minute the introduction of jazz guitar, fretless bass, and more-staccato trumpet play shift the music more into the domain of jazz. At 10:15 5he computerized click track ends and we transition briefly into a Greek folk ditty before returning to a slowed down, bare-bones, note-by-note version of the opening section. At 11:30 a bombastic drum entrance and blaring trumpet solo announce the arrival of a plaintive, "ballad" section. Electric guitar solos in a blues-rock fashion over the piano and slow rock rhythm section. I feel we are building--building in emotion, building in tension, building toward some further explosive exposition. Guitar moves into upper octaves to continue its cries before grand piano does some neat soloing over a very-Mike Oldfield-like section. Again, building and building, slowly, toward some crescendo or dénouement. But no! At the 16:00 mark we stop and switch into an entirely new style, new driving tempo, new sound combination, and melodic theme. The tempos and soundscapes continues to build, shift, clutter and clear, while an eerie space-synth solos in the background. Just shy of the 19 minute mark the lead switches to edgy electric guitar in an angular solo reminiscent of one Robert of Fripp. But then, rather suddenly, at the 20 minute mark, everything shifts into a Latin sound fusion for the finish! Weird! Again, I'm going to have to hear that one many more times in order to get an overall sense of what I'm experiencing. (9/10)

4.5 Stars; a near-masterpiece of eclectic symphonic progressive rock music.

4 stars "Good news from Greece!" What a coincidence, I just finished my serie of reviews about the early King Crimson albums (the 40th Anniversary Edition), then I started to listen to this new Methexis CD, to me it sounds ... (read more)

Report this review (#2137536) | Posted by TenYearsAfter | Monday, February 18, 2019 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The lonely and difficult paths are the ones that lead to the most beautiful places. Regular humans in their everyday lives try to keep the forces of chaos at bay, those forces that indicate randomness and the unpredictable and fragile nature of existence itself, remaining closely attached to the ... (read more)

Report this review (#2041841) | Posted by Antonis Kalamoutsos | Sunday, October 7, 2018 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of METHEXIS "Topos"