URIAH HEEP

Uriah Heep Uriah Heep album cover

Buy URIAH HEEP Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Gypsy (6:37)
2. Walking in Your Shadow (4:31)
3. Come Away Melinda (3:46)
4. Bird of Prey (4:05)
5. Dreammare (4:39)
6. Real Turned On (3:37)
7. I'll Keep on Trying (5:24)
8. Wake Up (Set Your Sights) (6:22)

Search URIAH HEEP Uriah Heep lyrics

- Paul Newton / guitar (bass), vocals
- Colin Wood / keyboards
- Ollie Olsson / percussion, drums

LP Mercury SR-61294 (1970 US)*

* The US Version of their debut album "Very 'eavy...Very 'umble", same tracklist, except "Lucy Blues" substituted for "Bird of Prey"

and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

URIAH HEEP MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy URIAH HEEP Uriah Heep Music

20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Uriah Heep20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Uriah Heep
Island Def Jam 2001
The Best of Uriah HeepThe Best of Uriah Heep
Mercury 1989
Best of Uriah Heep Part 2Best of Uriah Heep Part 2
Pidm 2000
Uriah HeepUriah Heep
Mercury
Vinyl$99.99
URIAH HEEP demons and wizards LP Mint- SRM 1-630 Stereo USA 1972 MercuryURIAH HEEP demons and wizards LP Mint- SRM 1-630 Stereo USA 1972 Mercury
Mercury Records
Vinyl$17.00 (used)
Uriah Heep - The Best Of - Bronze Records - 610 358Uriah Heep - The Best Of - Bronze Records - 610 358
Uriah Heep - Innocent Victim - Bronze Records - 25 543 XOT, Bronze Records - 25543 XOTUriah Heep - Innocent Victim - Bronze Records - 25 543 XOT, Bronze Records - 25543 XOT
Bronze Records
Vinyl$17.30 (used)
The Best of Uriah Heep by Uriah Heep [Music CD]The Best of Uriah Heep by Uriah Heep [Music CD]
Mercury
URIAH HEEP SWEET FREEDOM LP MADE IN BRAZIL 1stPRESS 1974 BRONZE LAMINATED COVER USD $29.99 Buy It Now 33m
BYRON BAND EVERY INCH OF THE WAY 7" P/S WITH ROUTINE (URIAH HEEP) UK USD $13.65 Buy It Now 34m 46s
1975 - URIAH HEEP - The Best Of.....+ UK Tour Dates - Press Advert - Poster Size USD $13.63 Buy It Now 53m 29s
Uriah Heep Encyclopedia article USD $11.37 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Uriah Heep Mick Box Intl. Musician Clipping #1 ABCD USD $11.37 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Uriah Heep Mick Box Intl. Musician Clipping #2 EFGH USD $11.37 Buy It Now 1h 27m
URIAH HEEP ON TOUR WITH MIKE MARAN ADVERT 15X24" USD $15.15 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Poster Size Advert 15x24 Uriah Heep, Return To Fantasy Album USD $15.15 Buy It Now 1h 41m
URIAH HEEP LIVE (GIANT 15X24") USD $15.15 Buy It Now 1h 41m
URIAH HEEP STAY ON TOP (2 X 7") 7" IN G/FOLD COVER WITH FREE LIVE EP UK USD $10.62 Buy It Now 1h 43m
URIAH HEEP LONELY NIGHTS 7" PIC DISC WITH WEEKEND WARRIORS UK USD $13.65 Buy It Now 1h 49m
David Byron Uriah Heep UK LP advert 1976 USD $8.34 Buy It Now 1h 52m
URIAH HEEP FREE ME 7" P/S GERMAN USD $13.65 Buy It Now 2h 3m
URIAH HEEP COME BACK TO ME 7" P/S GERMAN USD $13.65 Buy It Now 2h 14m
URIAH HEEP LOVE OR NOTHING 7" P/S GERMAN USD $13.65 Buy It Now 2h 18m
URIAH HEEP SWEET FREEDOM( P/S ONLY) 7" RARE THAILAND PICTURE SLEEVE (NO RECORD J USD $24.26 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Uriah Heep Fallen Angel UK LP Advert 1978 USD $8.34 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Uriah Heep Interview/article 1975 USD $8.34 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Uriah Heep UK Tour advert 1975 #1 ABCD USD $8.34 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Uriah Heep UK Tour advert 1975 #2 EFGH USD $8.34 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Uriah Heep UK Tour advert 1976 USD $8.34 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Uriah Heep UK Tour advert Nov/Dec 1975 USD $8.34 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Classic Rock albums - Lot of 17, 10 years after Uriah Heep, Nugent, Foghat, door USD $21.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP Access All Areas CD/DVD '2015 New & Sealed' Live 1990 USD $21.16 Buy It Now 2h 39m
EAGLES-ONE OF THESE DAYS LP 1975 RARE UNIQUE GREEK PRESS/ROCK/URIAH HEEP/RAINBOW USD $4.00 [0 bids]
THE COLLECTION - URIAH HEEP (CASSETTE) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
LP Uriah Heep, The Magician's Birthday USD $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Black Sabbath Uriah Heep Patto May Blitz Colosseum Vertigo Records Discography USD $9.86 Buy It Now 3h 14m
URIAH HEEP- POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL VINYL 7" 45RPM P/S * USD $2.87 Buy It Now 3h 40m
URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim UK white label test pressing vinyl LP A-1 / B-1 USD $128.89 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Uriah Heep Curved Air Wishbone Ash Buxton Fest doc 1972 USD $12.13 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Uriah Heep Geoff Brown 'Mojo' Interview Clipping USD $9.86 Buy It Now 4h 22m
URIAH HEEP STORY UK 1990 CD with RARE TRACKS NEW USD $6.05 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Uriah Heep - Celebration (CD New) USD $14.81 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Uriah Heep Live double LP records Mercury SRM-2-7503 Plays well good sound! USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Uriah Heep - Celebration [CD New] USD $15.66 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Uriah Heep - Logical Revelations (2012) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST USD $9.51 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Uriah Heep Look At Yourself UK LP Advert 1971 #2 USD $11.37 Buy It Now 5h 28m
5/5/73Pgn12 Uriah Heep "live" Double Album Advert 15x10 USD $15.15 Buy It Now 5h 31m
18/11/72Pgn11 Uriah Heep, The Magicians Birthday Album Advert Ilps 9213 USD $15.15 Buy It Now 5h 32m
5/5/73Pgn21 Uriah Heep Article & Picture, A Heep Gig To Take Home USD $6.05 Buy It Now 5h 33m
URIAH HEEP - PRIMA DONNA / SHOUT IT OUT 45 7'' PORTUGAL HARD ROCK UNIQUE SLEEVE USD $14.90 [1 bids]
6h
URIAH HEEP - THE WIZARD / WHY 45 7'' 1972 SPAIN ISLAND HENSLEY BYRON HARD ROCK USD $14.90 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP CD - LIVE AT KOKO: LONDON 2014 [2CD/1DVD DELUXE EDITION](2015) - NEW USD $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
RECORD ALBUM - VINTAGE - URIAH HEEP- THE MAGICIAN'S BIRTHDAY USD $3.45 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP "VERY EAVY VERY UMBLE" DEBUT ALBUM ADVERT FULL PAGE 1970 USD $45.42 Buy It Now 7h 24m
URIAH HEEP "WONDERWORLD" ALBUM ADVERT FROM 1974 USD $19.64 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Uriah Heep-Return To Fantasy 8 Track Tape 1975 Warner Bros. W Sleeve USD $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 31m
URIAH HEEP-----7 HARD ROCK ALBUMS---ABOMINOG+ LIVE+ GREATEST HITS+ SALISBURY!!! USD $49.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
URIAH HEEP-FREE ME 7'' RARE GERMAN PRESS 1977/HEAVY METAL/BLACK SABBATH/BOC USD $5.00 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP-SWEET FREEDOM LP 1973 RARE ORG USA PRESS TRIFOLD COVER/HEAVY METAL USD $8.00 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP-2 FOR 1: FIREFLY/ABOMINOG-CD (2) ISLAND NEW USD $9.49 Buy It Now 7h 56m
URIAH HEEP-THE URIAH HEEP COLLECTION-CD (3) BRUNSWICK NEW USD $11.09 Buy It Now 7h 56m
URIAH HEEP-RAGING SILENCE-CD SANCTUARY NEW USD $11.39 Buy It Now 7h 56m
URIAH HEEP-LIVE IN ARMENIA (2CD+DVD DIGIPAK)-CD (3) FRONTIERS NEW USD $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 56m
URIAH HEEP-OFFICIAL BOOTLEG VOL.5-LIVE IN ATHENS,GREECE 2011-CD EDEL RECOR NEW USD $13.59 Buy It Now 7h 56m
URIAH HEEP CONCERT TOUR DATES ADVERT 7X7" USD $10.62 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Slip Album: Uriah Heep : Live Sweden Rock Festival 2009 USD $10.60 [0 bids]
Slip Treble: Uriah Heep : Live 2011 Wolverhampton USD $18.87 [0 bids]
Slip Double: Uriah Heep Live Salzburg Austria 09 2CDs USD $15.07 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep Live 1973 FIRST PRESS Mercury 1973 SRM 2-7503 WITH CD BACKUP USD $12.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP "RETURN TO FANTASY" 8 TRACK TAPE W/ ORIGINAL SLIP CASE COVER 1975 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 9h
Uriah Heep Vertigo May Blitz Black Sabbath Juicy Lucy Gracious 1970 Catalogue USD $45.50 Buy It Now 9h 17m
URIAH HEEP-SALISBURY RARE RUSSIAN PRESSING LP EX+/NM UNIQUE LABEL USD $49.00 Buy It Now 9h 24m
Uriah Heep Sea of Light CD USD $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 28m
URIAH HEEP DEMONS AND WIZARDS SPECIAL UKR. EDITION USD $11.99 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Uriah Heep The Magicians Birthday 12" Vinyl USD $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Uriah Heep : Different World CD USD $9.12 Buy It Now 9h 50m
Uriah Heep-High and Mighty LP 1976 US Original LP Near Mint Vinyl USD $29.95 Buy It Now 10h 17m
URIAH HEEP:ABOMINOG JUNIOR:BRONZE 1982 EX/G USD $21.22 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Uriah Heep Live Record Mercury Gatefold SRM-2-7503 ~ USD $9.95 Buy It Now 10h 44m
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards - Mercury 12" Vinyl LP - Roger Dean Cover - NM- USD $9.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP easy livin the singles a's & b's 2 CD SEAL USD $4.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP RAGING SILENCE 1989 UNIQUE LAB.YU LP N/MINT USD $27.99 Buy It Now 11h 38m
Uriah Heep Innocent Victim Original SEALED LP Hard Prog Psych Warner US Press USD $35.99 Buy It Now 11h 45m
URIAH HEEP DEMONS WIZARDS CD PLATINUM DISC LP FREE P+P! USD $151.57 Buy It Now 11h 46m
ROGER GLOVER - LOVE IS ALL YUGO PRESS UNIQUE LABEL 7"PS DEEP PURPLE URIAH HEEP USD $29.99 Buy It Now 12h 27m
Uriah Heep John Wetton UK Interview 1975 ABCD USD $11.37 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Uriah Heep UK LP advert 1983 RST USD $11.37 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Uriah Heep UK LP advert 1985 UBQ USD $11.37 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Uriah Heep UK Tour advert 1979 USD $11.37 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Uriah Heep UK Tour advert 1985 USD $11.37 Buy It Now 12h 42m
JOHN LAWTON BAND A Sting in the Tale CD Melodic Hard Rock Uriah Heep 2003 RARE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 44m
Uriah Heep - Official Bootleg (CD New) USD $17.18 Buy It Now 12h 50m
KEN HENSLEY Running Blind CD Uriah Heep Classic Rock 2002 Hard To Find USD $17.99 Buy It Now 13h 5m
Sweet Freedom by Uriah Heep *New CD* USD $8.49 Buy It Now 13h 8m
Wake the Sleeper by Uriah Heep (CD, Jun-2008, Sanctuary (USA)) USD $10.50 Buy It Now 13h 8m
Into the Wild [Digipak] by Uriah Heep (CD, Apr-2011, Frontiers Records (UK)) USD $11.75 Buy It Now 13h 10m
The Best of Uriah Heep [Mercury] by Uriah Heep (CD, Jul-1989, Mercury) USD $4.95 Buy It Now 13h 13m
URIAH HEEP - OFFICIAL BOOTLEG NEW CD USD $19.04 Buy It Now 13h 15m
Uriah Heep "Salisbury" OOP! Lp! Original German Pressing! USD $30.00 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep Firefly US LP free shipping USD $10.00 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim German import LP on Bronze w/ INSERT free shipping USD $20.00 [0 bids]
0 result found for "URIAH HEEP"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results

More places to buy URIAH HEEP music online Buy URIAH HEEP & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for URIAH HEEP DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

URIAH HEEP Uriah Heep ratings distribution

URIAH HEEP Uriah Heep reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Very 'eavy , very 'umble

Uriah Heep's first album, "Very 'eavy , very 'umble" was not released in the US under that title. Presumably this was because of the Cockney/Dickensian connections which would not have been so meaningful to those outwith the UK. Instead, it was released with a different sleeve and simply titled "Uriah Heep".

The track listing is the same, except that "Lucy Blues" is dropped in favour of "Bird of prey". Since "Lucy blues" was the weakest track on VEVU, being a somewhat out of place blues rendition, the revision does represent an improvement.

The version of "Bird of prey" included here is different to the one which appeared on the UK version of "Salisbury". (Despite this, it was in turn replaced on the US version of "Salisbury" by the single B side "Simon the bullet freak"). While the "Salisbury" version sees the track being developed well, the slightly rawer earlier version here is well worth hearing.

The opening track, "Gypsy" is indeed "heavy", with a driving Hammond organ, a thumping beat, and an early burst of Mick Box's famous wah wah guitar soloing. There are however several decidedly softer moments. "Come away Melinda" (also recorded by UFO) is one of the very few covers the band has done. Their interpretation is quite stunning, with David Byron adopting various vocal sounds to distinguish between the two characters in the song. It's a beautiful, haunting number, with a peaceful message. "Wake up (set your sights)" also has a lovely soft conclusion which follows an almost jazz like opening section.

The remaining numbers generally fall into the " 'eavy" category, with tracks like "I'll keep on trying" and "Dreammare" setting out the band's stall for future albums perfectly.

There was better to come from the band, but this is a high quality first offering, with some excellent tracks.

Review by semismart
4 stars It was June of 1970 and a new English band, with the funny name borrowed from one of the unsavory villains in Dicken's classic novel David Copperfield, came on the scene with their new/old sound. Curiously their music seemed to be dichotomy of complex simplicity. Upon analysis, their seemingly intricate music breaks down into uncomplicated hooks and refrains that present day, so called garage bands could learn a few things from.

Another interesting thing about this album is many Prog Heads (Aficionados of the progressive genre of music)consider this album was the seminal progressive rock/metal recording. Though Uriah Heep's debut is obviously a hard rock/heavy metal masterpiece it has progressive elements which sewed the seeds of the future progressive movement. You say, yes but Pink Floyd was around and recording three years prior to to Heep. True but many feel early Floyd music was more psychedelic than progressive. What's the difference? I don't know but that's just one of the many points of discussion in this most ambiguous of musical genres.

The musical signature of Uriah Heep is unmistakable with a throbbing beat of organ and guitars and the capable vocals David Byron and back up vocals of the entire band and dark songs in an almost spooky vein. Many of the songs like "Gypsy, "Bird of Prey" and "Dreammare", even exude a raw sexuality. Something that has been overlooked through the years is just how good and versatile these musicians were.

"Gypsy" "I was only seventeen I fell in love with a gypsy queen She told me: "Hold on" Her father was the leading man Said: "You're not welcome on our land" And then as a foe, he told me to go"

As simple as "Louie Louie" but with an enormously complicated bridge by master keyboardist Ken Hensley, this six and a half minute mostly medium paced number suddenly stops dead in the middle, then continues its swirling organ and guitar virtuosic cacophony to completion, a true gem.

"Walking in Your Shadow" "I'm walking in your shadow Ever since you went away And the clock on the wall Really hasn't very much to say Oh, you left me bleeding And left me needing you"

Another interesting medium paced song, albeit a bit tamer. "Walking in your Shadow" is another very simple song with in this case, the occasional guitar gingerbread.

"Come Away Melinda" "Daddy, daddy, come and look See what I have found A little ways away from here While digging in the ground

Come away Melinda Come in and close the door It's nothing, just a picture-book They had before the war"

It is a rare ballad that can get my attention and "Come Away Melinda" is indeed rare. The instrumentation is minimal on this ethereal melancholy song by Heep which is simply elegant, simply beautiful and Byron does a simply masterful job on the vocals.

"Bird of Prey" "I can see that look that says beware Try to move in closer if you dare So I will sit and play my waiting game And for a while I know She’ll do the same Oh no!"

This medium fast song gives us our first glimpse of a Heep trademark, the soaring background vocals by the band. As the name and lyrics implies the song has an ominous timbre however the melody and background vocals are quite compelling.

"Dreammare" "Grinning demons, smiling sideways Laughing in my face Here within my troubled sleep There’s such a lonely place Running fast but never moving I can’t get away Strange but realistic objects Making me their prey"

Almost like a bookend to "Bird of Prey" "Dreammare" is every bit as ominous though a bit slower. Again we have have great background vocals a reverberated lead vocal and some great wa wa guitars. My personal favorite.

"Real Turned On" "Girl, before you go now There's one thing I wanted to do That's get you to come back Because I wanna make love to you

Got me real turned on Yes, you have"

For me, this is the least impressive song. "Real Turned On" has a nice medium paced beat but is features a discordant guitar throughout, which I found annoying.

"I'll Keep on Trying" "You came to me With all of your lies And I was taken in so well It took me quite a time To see the disguise"

Another goody! This one has a variable tempo with a typical Heep overpowering guitar and organ bridge and of course the signature choir (bandmembers). This five and a half minute number is another gem.

"Wake Up" "Wake up, set your sights For never shall we fail Stand up for your rights And justice will prevail

You're listening Through endless nights And decision is your goal So wake up, set your sights"

On this six minute plus number, I don't care much for the jazzy beginning but the back half makes up for it with a total change of pace to a pace more like track 3, The ethereal ballad "Come Away Melinda", a great ending. Again Byrons vocals are sublime.

CONCLUSION

Probably nothing new for the period but Uriah Heeps's obvious strength is picking out simple melodies and playing with and strengthening them with superb guitar and keyboard playing. Also as I mentioned the soaring harmonic background vocals by the band helped give the band a hook that many others were lacking.

It is a shame that these strengths which I have listed, other than guitar, with minor exceptions are not evident in most bands of today. If a band has keyboard player, which most don't, his or her role has been diminished and the signature background vocals that Heep utilized with such flair, also seem to be de-emphasized.

Uriah Heep were never really a headline band. Yes they had their die hard fans, still do, but they were never close to the big bands of the day. I even saw them live once in a dance bar format. (attendance probably two hundred) That is too bad, for I always felt their early music was very strong and deserved more attention but then again I feel the same about many bands.

In summary, Uriah Heep's self titled debut was certainly an excellent beginning and the good news is the best was yet to come.

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars This album is a nice artifact for collectors living out of United States. The album covers are in my opinion more tasteful here, and "The Bird of Prey" is featured in it instead of the lousy "Lucy Blues". The opener "Gypsy" is a hard rocking anthem, and especially "Come Away Melinda" is a wonderful mellotron driven ballad. Other picks: Jazzy "Wake Up" and "Dreammare".

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I discovered the Heep in 1973 with "The Magician's Birthday" and I really liked that band. Their hard rock with a special care for keyboards was quite original (although it sounded a bit like Purple). The core trio Byron (RIP), Hensley and Box is already in place which is a guarantee for quality.

The opening track "Gipsy" is absolutely gorgeous : strong vocals from Byron and incredible keyboards by Hensley. One of their best song ever that passes the proof of time very well. All the magic of the Heep is there : powerful lead vocals, great riff, strong instrumental parts and great harmonies. The final part of the song is really intricate.

It is not the case with the next track "Walking In Your Shadow", a post-psychedelic number which sounds quite outdated (this one particularly sounds as a "Mark I" song). Its only interesting feature IMO. But more similitudes will appear in their later works.

The mellow and quiet "Come Away Melinda" is an astonishing and surprising break : smooth mellotron, flute ... almost prog my friend ! At times, Byron sounds as Evans (again, "Mark I" ...).

On this US release, we'll get the fantastic "Birth Of Prey" : a wild hard-rock tune, with incredibly subtle, high and sublime vocals (it seems that Byron has switched from Evans to Gillan if you see what I mean...). Guitar and bass are outrageous. The second highlight and definitely a great Heep classic.

"Dreammare" is a bit in the same vein but less well achieved. Good hard-rock (even flirting with heavy sounds) all the way through. "Real Turned on" is 100% hard rock oriented and little inspired. It is the weakest number together with "Melinda".

"I'll Keep On Trying" is again a solid track with nice vocal arrangements and interesting rythm changes between hard-rock and prog moments (around 2'30" for example). Mick Box does a good job here. This track features all the element a good Heep song must have. Very nice song, (one more) on this very good album.

"Wake Up" is another highlight. Very good and emotional vocals from Byron (but that's the Heep's trademark, right) ? It is the most complex song of the album and probably one of the few that could be related to prog (together with "Come Away Melinda"). At times, it reminds me of "Epitaph" (not too bad a reference).

The core of the what the Heep will release is already present in this first effort, it is not too often the case that a first album is so close to what the band will deliver afterwards so, it needs to be mentioned. This album has passed remarkably the proof of time (IMO at least). They will confirm this great debut album during several releases. All in all a very good first effort from the Heep.

A stupid Rolling Stone journalist (Melissa Mills) will write the following review for this album. I will write my comments into brackets: "If this group makes it, I'll have to commit suicide (you'd better have done it before your review). From the first note you know what you don't want to hear any more. Uriah is watered down, tenth-rate Jethro Tull, only even more boring and inane. UH is composed of five members : vocals, organ, guitar, bass and drums (do you know that these are not names, but instruments) ? They fail to create a distinctive sound tonality; the other factor in their uninteresting style is that their play is based on repetitive chord riffs".

And she goes on : "According to the enclosed promo information, UH spent the past year in the studio, rehearsing and writting songs. No doubt their lack of performing experience contributed to the quality of the record; if they had played live in clubs they would have been thrown off the stage and we'd have been saved the waste of this record". (Ever heard of Uriah Heep Live) ?

I hope that she was sacked a few weeks after his ridiculous review (or maybe she did what she said, committing suicide)!

Four stars for this encouraging debut album.

Review by Gatot
4 stars This was basically a US version of Uriah Heep debut album Very Eavy Very Umble.

Who on earth in the glory days of seventies has never heard that opening lyrical part of "Gypsy" that became a true rocking yell at the time? If any, they should switch the time tunnel going back to the seventies and purchased the LP of this album. Yeah, it's better because this song from a debut album of Uriah Heep whom just transformed themselves from Spice really took the rock industry by the storm, if I may say it. You bet, it was not as so popular as Deep Purple's "Child In Time" but it was so phenomenal for rock freaks at that time. As for my case I only knew this song when the band released the Live 73 album. In fact this song was the best out of all tracks featured in the double-LP set and I always kept repeating it when I played it. The studio version is of course different with the live one but it still get the energy and enthusiasm required by rock music even though there is no improvised organ work and drum solo. The song opens with a rough-edge keyboard/ organ work combined later with distorted guitar work unique to Mick Box and Olsson's dynamic drumming. It then follows with a very nice riffs (memorable too) which brings the first lyrical part. Yeah man . so rocking and I like it very much! Ken Hensley provides a distinctive distorted organ solo which later characterized Heep sound.

The following track "Walking In Your Shadows" (4:31) is a song with a simple riffs and good melody. The riffs are typical for any band that nowadays we call it as classic rock. "Come Away Melinda" by Hellerman/ Minkof was once a top radio hit in my country and became the trademark of the band whenever we hear this song or "July Morning". I remember vividly how once my friend compared this song with King Crimson's "I Talk To The Wind" or "Epitaph". It's a well composed song in mellow style with sweet vocal- a feature for the softer side of David's voice. The song tells basically a conversation between a father and his young daughter whose mother has died in the war.

"Lucy Blues" (5:09) as the title implies is a blues based song composition. It's unsusual that Heep has ever written this song. But remember that this was a debut album where typically any band would not firm yet with their music format. At that time it's hard to find any band that did not venture their music into blues because it also happened with Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin. It's good to now that Heep has ever created this blues song which is very enjoyable even though it did not turn out to be the hit of Heep then. Hensley plays differently with his organ during interlude.

"Dreammare" (4:39) was written by Paul Newton (bass) which the title combines drem and nightmare. It has soft organ solo at the opening followed with driving rhythm which brings the song into ballad rock with distorted and hard-edge guitar solo. "Real Turned On" (3:37) is a good track with rock 'n' blues style and great distorted guitar sounds. During interlude part there are two guitars used - one presumably be played by Ken Hensley.

"I'll Keep On trying" (5:24) is a song I never pay attention until I watched the Magician's Birthday Party DVD in which this song was performed excellently. Characterized mainly by Hensley's Hammond organ and wonderful choirs "aaa . aaa .aaa ..aaa" which characterizes Heep sound, this song flows excellently from start to end. This song also features stunning combination of hard-edge guitar solo and Hammond solo with powerful voice of David Byron. It's a beautifully composed song.

"Wake Up (Set Your Sights)" (6:22) is different from other songs of Heep as it blends the components of jazz music into its composition. It reminds me to the music of Collosseum. The structure and composition can be considered as prog music as it combines jazz rock upbeat music with silent and explorative segments in the middle of the track. It's truly an excellent track.

This is an excellent addition to any prog / rock music collection.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Review by baz91
2 stars Ah, the complications of the music industry. Uriah Heep's debut album 'Very 'eavy ... Very 'umble' was released in the US nearly a year after it was released in the UK, although this time it was an eponymous debut and had a slightly different tracklisting. To be precise, Lucy Blues, a 5 minute bluesy piece, had been swapped for Bird Of Prey, the opener of the band's next UK album 'Salisbury'. Because of this, the US version of 'Salisbury' had to swap Bird Of Prey for Simon The Bullet Freak, but that's another story.

As I explained in my review of 'Very 'eavy ... Very 'umble', this is a weak debut album with just a couple of strong tracks. However, the inclusion of Bird Of Prey brings that number up to three. This heavy rocker has a very strong main riff, and a slightly progressive feel, due to the thematic change ¾ of the way through the song. The 'oo's and 'ah's towards the end of the song are quite silly, but that's all part of the fun of this track. If I had to question one thing, it's Byron's high pitched vibrato at the end of each line. This man certainly has a unique voice, and in the US album version he seems to have more power and control over it than in the UK album version.

In all honesty, I prefer the cobwebbed David Byron to the hellish snake thing on the cover. The UK album cover has more colour and interest and creativity than the drawing that could have come from anywhere. The US cover simply doesn't fit the music.

Because this is practically the same album, I feel like giving it the same rating. The pros and cons of the US version cancel each other out, and being British, I'd have always gone for the UK version anyway. The deluxe Sanctuary remaster of 'Very 'eavy ... Very 'umble' has all the tracks from both albums, and both sets of artwork, so you can get two albums in one essentially!

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars This debut for massive organ and guitar riffing giants Uriah Heep is the same as "Very 'Eavy and Very 'Umble" apart from one track which is 'Bird of Prey', marginally better than 'Lucy Blues'. The US front cover is just as nasty but I prefer this artwork than the cobwebbed freak on "VEVU". David Byron is a fantastic presence on this debut from massive Uriah Heep legends. One has to admire the sheer ferocity of the music with stabbing staccato blasts from Ken Hensley's organ and Mick Box's soaring lead guitar finesse. The rhythm machine of Paul Newton's bass and Ollie Olsson's percussion completed the sound. This is the album that unleashed the awesome power of the Heep.

It begins brilliantly with the crunching chords of 'Gypsy'. The way this hammers along with a blitzkrieg or grinding keyboards is a delight. Byron's vibrato compete beautifully with the distorted guitars and there is an amazing instrumental break. The brilliant unbeatable killer riff and hammering organ are incredible. Hensley's organ is aggressive, banging down massive chords, runs and fast frenetic sweeps. All the time the guitar is hypnotic with its two note metal distortion. It suddenly stops and a small sound of shimmering organ can be heard. Then it builds back to the monster riff and then Box has a turn. The lead break is cut short with another verse. Byron is sensational on vocals and the riff continues as he finishes the song off. An absolute masterpiece song ends with a bass, guitar, organ and drum frenzy freak out. The music sounds as though it has been put through a meat grinder. This is proto metal at its best.

Next is 'Walking In Your Shadow' with some heavy riffing from Box followed by acoustic beauty on 'Come Away Melinda'. 'Bird of Prey' is rawer than the version that appears on "Salisbury" but still very good, and 'Dreammare' returns to the heavy prog vibe. Perhaps the proggiest moments are found on the very weird 'Wake Up (Set Your Sights)', but this certainly is not the best that Heep could produce. That was yet to come, but as a debut for a new band, this was an album full of stellar tracks and worth seeking out, whether you get this, the US version or the UK, Heep stamped their authority as heavy hard driving rock never to be ignored.

4 stars Progressive rock tres Heavy hard rock, extremement interessant, by his(her,its) game(set,play) of clavier. The Singing(Song) is plaçé tres height, tranchantes guitars the sound is strong, the sublime melodies one can say here that this album is a jewel. Gypsy offer all this has the perfection, th ... (read more)

Report this review (#226719) | Posted by Discographia | Tuesday, July 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of URIAH HEEP "Uriah Heep"