URIAH HEEP

Uriah Heep Uriah Heep album cover

Buy URIAH HEEP Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Gypsy (6:37)
2. Walking in Your Shadow (4:31)
3. Come Away Melinda (3:46)
4. Bird of Prey (4:05)
5. Dreammare (4:39)
6. Real Turned On (3:37)
7. I'll Keep on Trying (5:24)
8. Wake Up (Set Your Sights) (6:22)

- David Byron / lead vocals
- Mick Box / lead guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Ken Hensley / organ, Mellotron, piano, slide guitar, vocals
- Paul Newton / bass guitar, vocals
- Ollie Olsson / drums & percussion (5)

With:
- Colin Wood / keyboards (3,8)
- Alex Napier / drums (excl. 4,5)
- Keith Baker / drums (4)

DUPLICATED ENTRY: US Version of debut album "Very 'eavy...Very 'umble", same tracklist, except "Lucy Blues" substituted for "Bird of Prey"

LP Mercury ‎- SR-61294 (1970, US) New cover art and 1 different song from UK release

and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy URIAH HEEP Uriah Heep Music

URIAH HEEP - HE WAS THE WIZARD: 6 CD SETURIAH HEEP - HE WAS THE WIZARD: 6 CD SET
$15.85
Demons And Wizards  - Uriah HeepDemons And Wizards - Uriah Heep
$5.80
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Uriah Heep20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Uriah Heep
Island Def Jam 2001
$11.14
Sweet Freedom  - Uriah HeepSweet Freedom - Uriah Heep
Extra tracks
$6.13
URIAH HEEP - THE LOOK AT YOURSELF SESSIONS 1970: LIMITED EDITION ON INCA GOLD VINYLURIAH HEEP - THE LOOK AT YOURSELF SESSIONS 1970: LIMITED EDITION ON INCA GOLD VINYL
$19.82
Sea Of Light /  Uriah HeepSea Of Light / Uriah Heep
HNE 2018
$9.07
URIAH HEEP - THE HIGH AND MIGHTY TOUR: LIMITED EDITION ON WHITE VINYLURIAH HEEP - THE HIGH AND MIGHTY TOUR: LIMITED EDITION ON WHITE VINYL
$19.99
Extra tracks · Limited Edition · Remastered
$6.13

Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself NEW LP USD $28.33 Buy It Now
Uriah Heep - Live [New Vinyl] UK - Import USD $27.82 Buy It Now
Fallen Angel by Uriah Heep (SHM-CD.jp. mini LP),2011, UICY-94751 Japan USD $103.00 Buy It Now
Uriah Heep ?- Lonely Nights Bronze BROP 166 UK Vinyl 7 inch Single Picture Disc USD $16.18 Buy It Now
URIAH HEEP: Lonely Nights / Weekend Warriors 45 (UK, pic disc) Rock USD $8.00 Buy It Now
Live: January 1973 by Uriah Heep USD $13.00 Buy It Now
URIAH HEEP Salisbury 1970 CASSETTE TAPE GERMANY prog rock USD $10.00 [0 bids]
DAVID BYRON:TAKE NO PRISONERS/URIAH HEEP USD $10.38 Buy It Now
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself / Isaac Hayes - Shaft 7" Turkish Edt. Free P+P USD $45.00 Buy It Now 7m 32s
URIAH HEEP DEMONS AND WIZARDS UK Gatefold PRESS ILPS-9193 USD $6.49 [0 bids]
11m 29s
Ken Hensley (Uriah Heep) Free Spirit, Vinyl Lp, Bronze Records 1981 USD $7.78 [0 bids]
15m 12s
URIAH HEEP 'LOOK AT YOURSELF' STEREO LP 2018 RECORD STORE DAY RELEASE MINT USD $25.98 [0 bids]
24m 47s
URIAH HEEP 'WONDERWORLD' 1974 STEREO LP EX-/EX USD $16.88 [0 bids]
27m 20s
Look at Yourself by Uriah Heep (SHM-CD. jp. mini LP),2010, UICY-94723 USD $99.95 Buy It Now 29m 55s
URIAH HEEP-SOMETHING OF NOTHING-ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV PS 7" 45rpm 1974-UNIQUE COVER USD $7.99 Buy It Now 32m 5s
Uriah Heep - Sonic Origami(CD,1998 Eagle Records) USD $95.00 Buy It Now 38m 32s
Uriah Heep - Innocent Victim 5414939929588 (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $21.78 Buy It Now 46m 42s
THE BYRON BAND/ URIAH HEEP 'Every Inch Of The Way' 1981 German promotional 7"/45 USD $20.78 Buy It Now 49m 31s
7 INCH SINGLE URIAH HEEP LOOK AT YOURSELF JAPAN USD $11.05 [3 bids]
7 INCH SINGLE URIAH HEEP RETURN TO FANTASY JAPAN USD $13.00 [3 bids]
URIAH HEEP - VERY 'EAVY, VERY 'UMBLE NEW VINYL RECORD USD $31.19 Buy It Now 1h 10m
URIAH HEEP - HIGH AND MIGHTY NEW VINYL RECORD USD $23.68 Buy It Now 1h 10m
URIAH HEEP - ABOMINOG NEW VINYL RECORD USD $23.68 Buy It Now 1h 10m
URIAH HEEP - SWEET FREEDOM NEW VINYL RECORD USD $31.45 Buy It Now 1h 10m
URIAH HEEP Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble *RARE German 1971 A1/B1* BRONZE 85690 IT USD $16.88 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath (CD) Dio Deep Purple Uriah Heep USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Wonderworld by Uriah Heep (SHM-CD.jp. mini LP),2011, UICY-94746 / Japan USD $125.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Uriah Heep - 'Return to Fantasy':remastered cd USD $6.82 [0 bids]
Classic Collection (BMG) by Uriah Heep (CD, Apr-2002, BMG) NEW! USD $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Uriah Heep Live In Moscow CD (2007, BMG Japan, Made in Japan) BVCM-35109 USD $31.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Uriah Heep Fallen Angel 1978 BRNA 512 Ex+/Vg+ UK 1st Press USD $11.70 [1 bids]
Uriah Heep Head First Papersleeve CD (2006, BMG Japan, Made in Japan) BVMC-37741 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Vinyl Record LP Album URIAH HEEP LOOK AT YOURSELF (70) USD $16.25 [13 bids]
Uriah Heep - Come Away Melinda (2003) USD $7.78 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP ~ UNDERWORLD (REMASTER) SEALED BONUS TRACK USD $12.98 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep Demons and Wizards 8 Track Tape 1972 Mercury Records VG+ USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Uriah Heep: Demons & Wizards LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
The Magician's Birthday by Uriah Heep (SHM-CD.jp mini LP),2010, UICY-94725 Japan USD $115.00 Buy It Now 2h 37m
URIAH HEEP Live At KoKo + 2 JAPAN Mini LP 2 CD 2015 U.K. Mick Box USD $35.50 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Abominog by Uriah Heep (SHM-CD. jp. mini LP),2011, UICY-94753 Japan USD $115.00 Buy It Now 2h 47m
URIAH HEEP-INNOCENT VICTIM (UK) VINYL LP NEW USD $39.06 Buy It Now 2h 51m
VERY RARE URIAH HEEP HEAVY METAL CASSETTE CANADIAN RELEASES! DEMONS AND WIZARDS USD $11.33 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Uriah Heep - Uriah Heep Live 2 LP set - Mercury Records SRM-2-7503 USD $2.00 [0 bids]
Demons and Wizards by Uriah Heep (SHM-CD.jp mini LP),2010, UICY-94724 Japan USD $125.00 Buy It Now 3h 43m
URIAH HEEP - THE MAGICIAN'S BIRTHDAY (SRM1-652) G+ condition Awesome Album USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
URIAH HEEP Live JAPAN CD VICP-40100-1 1993 OBI USD $66.47 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Very 'Eavy... Very 'Umble by Uriah Heep (SHM-CD. jp. mini LP),2010, UICY-94721 USD $120.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Live: January 1973 by Uriah Heep (SHM-2CD. jp mini LP),2010, UICY-94726/7 USD $125.72 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday (1972) Mercury Record LP ILPS-9213 Vinyl USD $7.95 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Salisbury by Uriah Heep (SHM-CD. jp. mini LP),2010, UICY-94722 Japan USD $120.00 Buy It Now 5h
URIAH HEEP Collectible Vinyl Record Album! PROMO Copy! SR61294! ENDS NOV.17TH. USD $85.00 Buy It Now 5h
URIAH HEEP CD. THE BEST OF..GREATEST HITS .HEAP USD $6.03 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Uriah Heep - British Live Performance Series (CD Used Like New) USD $10.69 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself - Japan SHM-SACD NEW USD $115.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
URIAH HEEP "OFFICIAL BOOTLEG: VOL. 5 - LIVE IN ATHENS, GREECE" CD NEW+ USD $15.97 Buy It Now 7h 39m
Uriah Heep, LP Record, 1972 Rock, The Magician's Birthday, Mercury SRM 1-652 USD $6.00 [1 bids]
Ken Hensley Eager To Please GER LP 1975 + Innerbag Rare Variation Uriah Heep /3* USD $47.09 Buy It Now 8h 34m
Uriah Heep Uriah Heep German CD album (CDLP) 060075312808 UNIVERSAL 2008 USD $13.63 Buy It Now 8h 56m
David Byron - Take No Prisoners GER LP 1975 + Innerbag Prog Uriah Heep /3* USD $44.74 Buy It Now 9h 17m
Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday UK LP 1972 FOC /3* USD $42.38 Buy It Now 9h 30m
...Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble Uriah Heep Japanese CD album (CDLP) promo VICP-61828 USD $63.03 Buy It Now 9h 37m
Uriah Heep CD album (CDLP) The Magician's Birthday Japanese promo VICP-61830 USD $63.03 Buy It Now 9h 37m
Uriah Heep CD album (CDLP) Sea Of Light Japanese promo TECW-25020 SPV 1995 USD $37.04 Buy It Now 9h 40m
URIAH HEEP - MAGICIAN'S BIRTHDAY [SANCTUARY] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $8.44 Buy It Now 9h 41m
VTG LOT VINYL RECORD ALBUM 2 LP URIAH HEEP LIVE USD $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 42m
URIAH HEEP: SELECTIONS FROM DRIVEN -LTD (LP vinyl) USD $33.52 Buy It Now 10h 29m
URIAH HEEP: Sweet Freedom 45 (Stereo jukebox EP, envelope PS) Rock USD $25.00 Buy It Now 10h 46m
Uriah Heep: Look At Yourself LP (1971) SRM-1-614 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 10h 48m
Uriah Heep Live GER 2LP 1973 FOC + Innerbags Booklet Rare Pink Rim Orig! /3* USD $35.79 Buy It Now 11h 4m
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself GER LP + Poster /3* USD $35.79 Buy It Now 11h 10m
Uriah Heep - Demons And Wizards UK LP 1972 FOC /3* USD $35.79 Buy It Now 11h 18m
URIAH HEEP the best of uriah heep JAPAN CD 3008YEN VDP-1150 W/OBI 1986 USD $69.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
COLOSSEUM & URIAH HEEP AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL ADVERT 8X12 USD $10.40 Buy It Now 12h 6m
LP Uriah Heep Look At Yourself YS2649BZ BRONZE Japan Vinyl OBI USD $49.99 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Uriah Heep - Uriah Heep Live GER 2LP 1973 FOC + Innerbag, Insert /3* USD $31.31 Buy It Now 12h 38m
Uriah Heep - Demons And Wizards GER LP 1977 FOC + Insert /3* USD $28.64 Buy It Now 13h 9m
URIAH HEEP LIVE LP, NEAR MINT CONDITION, 1st UK PRESS, 1973 BRONZE RECORDS USD $32.48 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP - FUTURE ECHOES OF THE PAST USED - VERY GOOD REGION 2 DVD USD $17.96 Buy It Now 13h 33m
URIAH HEEP live (original uk press) DOUBLE LP EX-/VG ISLD 1 classic rock 1973 USD $28.39 Buy It Now 13h 44m
Uriah Heep 45 Easy Livin / All My Life USD $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 5m
DAVID BYRON Uriah Heep AVENUE RECORDINGS LTD UK 1969 Studio 33 AVE 10 015 EX EX USD $19.49 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP - FUTURE ECHOES OF THE PAST NEW REGION 2 DVD USD $18.05 Buy It Now 14h 20m
URIAH HEEP - MAGICIAN'S BIRTHDAY,THE 2 CD NEW+ USD $25.89 Buy It Now 14h 41m
URIAH HEEP - RAGING THROUGH THE SILENCE: 20TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT [DIGIPAK] USED USD $17.86 Buy It Now 14h 53m
1977 - URIAH HEEP - Innocent Victim + UK Tour Dates - Press Advert - Poster Size USD $11.68 Buy It Now 15h
Uriah Heep - Circle Of Hands - The Early Years NEW CD USD $10.81 Buy It Now 15h 9m
URIAH HEEP Stay On Top 7" Vinyl USD $6.49 Buy It Now 15h 12m
Scorpions on Kerrang Magazine Cover 1982 No: 12 Uriah Heep Rose Tattoo USD $19.49 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Uriah Heep - Raging Through The Silence: 20th Anniversary Concert (NEW 2CD+DVD) USD $19.48 Buy It Now 15h 17m
Uriah Heep - Revelations (The Anthology, 2004) CD X 2 - Prog Rock Blues USD $11.54 Buy It Now 15h 27m
URIAH HEEP - RAGING THROUGH THE SILENCE: 20TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT [DIGIPAK] NEW USD $18.05 Buy It Now 15h 28m
URIAH HEEP 8 TRACK TAPE USD $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 36m
Uriah Heep - Fallen Angel - Uriah Heep CD 7GVG The Fast Free Shipping USD $17.48 Buy It Now 15h 43m
Wonderworld Uriah Heep Vinyl Record USD $36.32 Buy It Now 15h 48m
URIAH HEEP: The Magician's Birthday Remastered [New 2-CD Set] w/Booklet USD $22.97 Buy It Now 16h 19m
URIAH HEEP: Look At Yourself Remastered [New 2-CD Set] w/Booklet USD $22.97 Buy It Now 16h 19m
URIAH HEEP-FUTURE ECHOES OF THE PAST-Import 2CD+DVD w/JAPAN OBI I98 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 16h 20m
URIAH HEEP - DEMONS AND WIZARDS (New & Sealed) CD Rare 1996 Release Inc Bonus USD $12.98 Buy It Now 16h 21m
Uriah Heep - Firefly (CD) USD $10.38 Buy It Now 16h 22m
Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday (CD 1996) USD $7.78 Buy It Now 16h 31m

More places to buy URIAH HEEP music online Buy URIAH HEEP & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

URIAH HEEP Uriah Heep ratings distribution

URIAH HEEP Uriah Heep reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Very 'eavy , very 'umble

Uriah Heep's first album, "Very 'eavy , very 'umble" was not released in the US under that title. Presumably this was because of the Cockney/Dickensian connections which would not have been so meaningful to those outwith the UK. Instead, it was released with a different sleeve and simply titled "Uriah Heep".

The track listing is the same, except that "Lucy Blues" is dropped in favour of "Bird of prey". Since "Lucy blues" was the weakest track on VEVU, being a somewhat out of place blues rendition, the revision does represent an improvement.

The version of "Bird of prey" included here is different to the one which appeared on the UK version of "Salisbury". (Despite this, it was in turn replaced on the US version of "Salisbury" by the single B side "Simon the bullet freak"). While the "Salisbury" version sees the track being developed well, the slightly rawer earlier version here is well worth hearing.

The opening track, "Gypsy" is indeed "heavy", with a driving Hammond organ, a thumping beat, and an early burst of Mick Box's famous wah wah guitar soloing. There are however several decidedly softer moments. "Come away Melinda" (also recorded by UFO) is one of the very few covers the band has done. Their interpretation is quite stunning, with David Byron adopting various vocal sounds to distinguish between the two characters in the song. It's a beautiful, haunting number, with a peaceful message. "Wake up (set your sights)" also has a lovely soft conclusion which follows an almost jazz like opening section.

The remaining numbers generally fall into the " 'eavy" category, with tracks like "I'll keep on trying" and "Dreammare" setting out the band's stall for future albums perfectly.

There was better to come from the band, but this is a high quality first offering, with some excellent tracks.

Review by semismart
4 stars It was June of 1970 and a new English band, with the funny name borrowed from one of the unsavory villains in Dicken's classic novel David Copperfield, came on the scene with their new/old sound. Curiously their music seemed to be dichotomy of complex simplicity. Upon analysis, their seemingly intricate music breaks down into uncomplicated hooks and refrains that present day, so called garage bands could learn a few things from.

Another interesting thing about this album is many Prog Heads (Aficionados of the progressive genre of music)consider this album was the seminal progressive rock/metal recording. Though Uriah Heep's debut is obviously a hard rock/heavy metal masterpiece it has progressive elements which sewed the seeds of the future progressive movement. You say, yes but Pink Floyd was around and recording three years prior to to Heep. True but many feel early Floyd music was more psychedelic than progressive. What's the difference? I don't know but that's just one of the many points of discussion in this most ambiguous of musical genres.

The musical signature of Uriah Heep is unmistakable with a throbbing beat of organ and guitars and the capable vocals David Byron and back up vocals of the entire band and dark songs in an almost spooky vein. Many of the songs like "Gypsy, "Bird of Prey" and "Dreammare", even exude a raw sexuality. Something that has been overlooked through the years is just how good and versatile these musicians were.

"Gypsy" "I was only seventeen I fell in love with a gypsy queen She told me: "Hold on" Her father was the leading man Said: "You're not welcome on our land" And then as a foe, he told me to go"

As simple as "Louie Louie" but with an enormously complicated bridge by master keyboardist Ken Hensley, this six and a half minute mostly medium paced number suddenly stops dead in the middle, then continues its swirling organ and guitar virtuosic cacophony to completion, a true gem.

"Walking in Your Shadow" "I'm walking in your shadow Ever since you went away And the clock on the wall Really hasn't very much to say Oh, you left me bleeding And left me needing you"

Another interesting medium paced song, albeit a bit tamer. "Walking in your Shadow" is another very simple song with in this case, the occasional guitar gingerbread.

"Come Away Melinda" "Daddy, daddy, come and look See what I have found A little ways away from here While digging in the ground

Come away Melinda Come in and close the door It's nothing, just a picture-book They had before the war"

It is a rare ballad that can get my attention and "Come Away Melinda" is indeed rare. The instrumentation is minimal on this ethereal melancholy song by Heep which is simply elegant, simply beautiful and Byron does a simply masterful job on the vocals.

"Bird of Prey" "I can see that look that says beware Try to move in closer if you dare So I will sit and play my waiting game And for a while I know She’ll do the same Oh no!"

This medium fast song gives us our first glimpse of a Heep trademark, the soaring background vocals by the band. As the name and lyrics implies the song has an ominous timbre however the melody and background vocals are quite compelling.

"Dreammare" "Grinning demons, smiling sideways Laughing in my face Here within my troubled sleep There’s such a lonely place Running fast but never moving I can’t get away Strange but realistic objects Making me their prey"

Almost like a bookend to "Bird of Prey" "Dreammare" is every bit as ominous though a bit slower. Again we have have great background vocals a reverberated lead vocal and some great wa wa guitars. My personal favorite.

"Real Turned On" "Girl, before you go now There's one thing I wanted to do That's get you to come back Because I wanna make love to you

Got me real turned on Yes, you have"

For me, this is the least impressive song. "Real Turned On" has a nice medium paced beat but is features a discordant guitar throughout, which I found annoying.

"I'll Keep on Trying" "You came to me With all of your lies And I was taken in so well It took me quite a time To see the disguise"

Another goody! This one has a variable tempo with a typical Heep overpowering guitar and organ bridge and of course the signature choir (bandmembers). This five and a half minute number is another gem.

"Wake Up" "Wake up, set your sights For never shall we fail Stand up for your rights And justice will prevail

You're listening Through endless nights And decision is your goal So wake up, set your sights"

On this six minute plus number, I don't care much for the jazzy beginning but the back half makes up for it with a total change of pace to a pace more like track 3, The ethereal ballad "Come Away Melinda", a great ending. Again Byrons vocals are sublime.

CONCLUSION

Probably nothing new for the period but Uriah Heeps's obvious strength is picking out simple melodies and playing with and strengthening them with superb guitar and keyboard playing. Also as I mentioned the soaring harmonic background vocals by the band helped give the band a hook that many others were lacking.

It is a shame that these strengths which I have listed, other than guitar, with minor exceptions are not evident in most bands of today. If a band has keyboard player, which most don't, his or her role has been diminished and the signature background vocals that Heep utilized with such flair, also seem to be de-emphasized.

Uriah Heep were never really a headline band. Yes they had their die hard fans, still do, but they were never close to the big bands of the day. I even saw them live once in a dance bar format. (attendance probably two hundred) That is too bad, for I always felt their early music was very strong and deserved more attention but then again I feel the same about many bands.

In summary, Uriah Heep's self titled debut was certainly an excellent beginning and the good news is the best was yet to come.

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
3 stars This album is a nice artifact for collectors living out of United States. The album covers are in my opinion more tasteful here, and "The Bird of Prey" is featured in it instead of the lousy "Lucy Blues". The opener "Gypsy" is a hard rocking anthem, and especially "Come Away Melinda" is a wonderful mellotron driven ballad. Other picks: Jazzy "Wake Up" and "Dreammare".
Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I discovered the Heep in 1973 with "The Magician's Birthday" and I really liked that band. Their hard rock with a special care for keyboards was quite original (although it sounded a bit like Purple). The core trio Byron (RIP), Hensley and Box is already in place which is a guarantee for quality.

The opening track "Gipsy" is absolutely gorgeous : strong vocals from Byron and incredible keyboards by Hensley. One of their best song ever that passes the proof of time very well. All the magic of the Heep is there : powerful lead vocals, great riff, strong instrumental parts and great harmonies. The final part of the song is really intricate.

It is not the case with the next track "Walking In Your Shadow", a post-psychedelic number which sounds quite outdated (this one particularly sounds as a "Mark I" song). Its only interesting feature IMO. But more similitudes will appear in their later works.

The mellow and quiet "Come Away Melinda" is an astonishing and surprising break : smooth mellotron, flute ... almost prog my friend ! At times, Byron sounds as Evans (again, "Mark I" ...).

On this US release, we'll get the fantastic "Birth Of Prey" : a wild hard-rock tune, with incredibly subtle, high and sublime vocals (it seems that Byron has switched from Evans to Gillan if you see what I mean...). Guitar and bass are outrageous. The second highlight and definitely a great Heep classic.

"Dreammare" is a bit in the same vein but less well achieved. Good hard-rock (even flirting with heavy sounds) all the way through. "Real Turned on" is 100% hard rock oriented and little inspired. It is the weakest number together with "Melinda".

"I'll Keep On Trying" is again a solid track with nice vocal arrangements and interesting rythm changes between hard-rock and prog moments (around 2'30" for example). Mick Box does a good job here. This track features all the element a good Heep song must have. Very nice song, (one more) on this very good album.

"Wake Up" is another highlight. Very good and emotional vocals from Byron (but that's the Heep's trademark, right) ? It is the most complex song of the album and probably one of the few that could be related to prog (together with "Come Away Melinda"). At times, it reminds me of "Epitaph" (not too bad a reference).

The core of the what the Heep will release is already present in this first effort, it is not too often the case that a first album is so close to what the band will deliver afterwards so, it needs to be mentioned. This album has passed remarkably the proof of time (IMO at least). They will confirm this great debut album during several releases. All in all a very good first effort from the Heep.

A stupid Rolling Stone journalist (Melissa Mills) will write the following review for this album. I will write my comments into brackets: "If this group makes it, I'll have to commit suicide (you'd better have done it before your review). From the first note you know what you don't want to hear any more. Uriah is watered down, tenth-rate Jethro Tull, only even more boring and inane. UH is composed of five members : vocals, organ, guitar, bass and drums (do you know that these are not names, but instruments) ? They fail to create a distinctive sound tonality; the other factor in their uninteresting style is that their play is based on repetitive chord riffs".

And she goes on : "According to the enclosed promo information, UH spent the past year in the studio, rehearsing and writting songs. No doubt their lack of performing experience contributed to the quality of the record; if they had played live in clubs they would have been thrown off the stage and we'd have been saved the waste of this record". (Ever heard of Uriah Heep Live) ?

I hope that she was sacked a few weeks after his ridiculous review (or maybe she did what she said, committing suicide)!

Four stars for this encouraging debut album.

Review by Gatot
4 stars This was basically a US version of Uriah Heep debut album Very Eavy Very Umble.

Who on earth in the glory days of seventies has never heard that opening lyrical part of "Gypsy" that became a true rocking yell at the time? If any, they should switch the time tunnel going back to the seventies and purchased the LP of this album. Yeah, it's better because this song from a debut album of Uriah Heep whom just transformed themselves from Spice really took the rock industry by the storm, if I may say it. You bet, it was not as so popular as Deep Purple's "Child In Time" but it was so phenomenal for rock freaks at that time. As for my case I only knew this song when the band released the Live 73 album. In fact this song was the best out of all tracks featured in the double-LP set and I always kept repeating it when I played it. The studio version is of course different with the live one but it still get the energy and enthusiasm required by rock music even though there is no improvised organ work and drum solo. The song opens with a rough-edge keyboard/ organ work combined later with distorted guitar work unique to Mick Box and Olsson's dynamic drumming. It then follows with a very nice riffs (memorable too) which brings the first lyrical part. Yeah man . so rocking and I like it very much! Ken Hensley provides a distinctive distorted organ solo which later characterized Heep sound.

The following track "Walking In Your Shadows" (4:31) is a song with a simple riffs and good melody. The riffs are typical for any band that nowadays we call it as classic rock. "Come Away Melinda" by Hellerman/ Minkof was once a top radio hit in my country and became the trademark of the band whenever we hear this song or "July Morning". I remember vividly how once my friend compared this song with King Crimson's "I Talk To The Wind" or "Epitaph". It's a well composed song in mellow style with sweet vocal- a feature for the softer side of David's voice. The song tells basically a conversation between a father and his young daughter whose mother has died in the war.

"Lucy Blues" (5:09) as the title implies is a blues based song composition. It's unsusual that Heep has ever written this song. But remember that this was a debut album where typically any band would not firm yet with their music format. At that time it's hard to find any band that did not venture their music into blues because it also happened with Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin. It's good to now that Heep has ever created this blues song which is very enjoyable even though it did not turn out to be the hit of Heep then. Hensley plays differently with his organ during interlude.

"Dreammare" (4:39) was written by Paul Newton (bass) which the title combines drem and nightmare. It has soft organ solo at the opening followed with driving rhythm which brings the song into ballad rock with distorted and hard-edge guitar solo. "Real Turned On" (3:37) is a good track with rock 'n' blues style and great distorted guitar sounds. During interlude part there are two guitars used - one presumably be played by Ken Hensley.

"I'll Keep On trying" (5:24) is a song I never pay attention until I watched the Magician's Birthday Party DVD in which this song was performed excellently. Characterized mainly by Hensley's Hammond organ and wonderful choirs "aaa . aaa .aaa ..aaa" which characterizes Heep sound, this song flows excellently from start to end. This song also features stunning combination of hard-edge guitar solo and Hammond solo with powerful voice of David Byron. It's a beautifully composed song.

"Wake Up (Set Your Sights)" (6:22) is different from other songs of Heep as it blends the components of jazz music into its composition. It reminds me to the music of Collosseum. The structure and composition can be considered as prog music as it combines jazz rock upbeat music with silent and explorative segments in the middle of the track. It's truly an excellent track.

This is an excellent addition to any prog / rock music collection.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Review by baz91
2 stars Ah, the complications of the music industry. Uriah Heep's debut album 'Very 'eavy ... Very 'umble' was released in the US nearly a year after it was released in the UK, although this time it was an eponymous debut and had a slightly different tracklisting. To be precise, Lucy Blues, a 5 minute bluesy piece, had been swapped for Bird Of Prey, the opener of the band's next UK album 'Salisbury'. Because of this, the US version of 'Salisbury' had to swap Bird Of Prey for Simon The Bullet Freak, but that's another story.

As I explained in my review of 'Very 'eavy ... Very 'umble', this is a weak debut album with just a couple of strong tracks. However, the inclusion of Bird Of Prey brings that number up to three. This heavy rocker has a very strong main riff, and a slightly progressive feel, due to the thematic change of the way through the song. The 'oo's and 'ah's towards the end of the song are quite silly, but that's all part of the fun of this track. If I had to question one thing, it's Byron's high pitched vibrato at the end of each line. This man certainly has a unique voice, and in the US album version he seems to have more power and control over it than in the UK album version.

In all honesty, I prefer the cobwebbed David Byron to the hellish snake thing on the cover. The UK album cover has more colour and interest and creativity than the drawing that could have come from anywhere. The US cover simply doesn't fit the music.

Because this is practically the same album, I feel like giving it the same rating. The pros and cons of the US version cancel each other out, and being British, I'd have always gone for the UK version anyway. The deluxe Sanctuary remaster of 'Very 'eavy ... Very 'umble' has all the tracks from both albums, and both sets of artwork, so you can get two albums in one essentially!

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars This debut for massive organ and guitar riffing giants Uriah Heep is the same as "Very 'Eavy and Very 'Umble" apart from one track which is 'Bird of Prey', marginally better than 'Lucy Blues'. The US front cover is just as nasty but I prefer this artwork than the cobwebbed freak on "VEVU". David Byron is a fantastic presence on this debut from massive Uriah Heep legends. One has to admire the sheer ferocity of the music with stabbing staccato blasts from Ken Hensley's organ and Mick Box's soaring lead guitar finesse. The rhythm machine of Paul Newton's bass and Ollie Olsson's percussion completed the sound. This is the album that unleashed the awesome power of the Heep.

It begins brilliantly with the crunching chords of 'Gypsy'. The way this hammers along with a blitzkrieg or grinding keyboards is a delight. Byron's vibrato compete beautifully with the distorted guitars and there is an amazing instrumental break. The brilliant unbeatable killer riff and hammering organ are incredible. Hensley's organ is aggressive, banging down massive chords, runs and fast frenetic sweeps. All the time the guitar is hypnotic with its two note metal distortion. It suddenly stops and a small sound of shimmering organ can be heard. Then it builds back to the monster riff and then Box has a turn. The lead break is cut short with another verse. Byron is sensational on vocals and the riff continues as he finishes the song off. An absolute masterpiece song ends with a bass, guitar, organ and drum frenzy freak out. The music sounds as though it has been put through a meat grinder. This is proto metal at its best.

Next is 'Walking In Your Shadow' with some heavy riffing from Box followed by acoustic beauty on 'Come Away Melinda'. 'Bird of Prey' is rawer than the version that appears on "Salisbury" but still very good, and 'Dreammare' returns to the heavy prog vibe. Perhaps the proggiest moments are found on the very weird 'Wake Up (Set Your Sights)', but this certainly is not the best that Heep could produce. That was yet to come, but as a debut for a new band, this was an album full of stellar tracks and worth seeking out, whether you get this, the US version or the UK, Heep stamped their authority as heavy hard driving rock never to be ignored.

4 stars Progressive rock tres Heavy hard rock, extremement interessant, by his(her,its) game(set,play) of clavier. The Singing(Song) is pla tres height, tranchantes guitars the sound is strong, the sublime melodies one can say here that this album is a jewel. Gypsy offer all this has the perfection, th ... (read more)

Report this review (#226719) | Posted by Discographia | Tuesday, July 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of URIAH HEEP "Uriah Heep"