BONDAGE FRUIT I

Buy BONDAGE FRUIT Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Holy Roller (3:54)
2. Arabia no Zo (4:31)
3. Kodomo no Torokko (8:24)
4. Rigo (2:22)
5. Octopus-Command (7:16)
6. Hiko Suru Ko (6:45)
7. Kaku no Sakana (6:15)
8. Kinzoku no Taiji (7:37)
9. T-Rex (6:01)

- Okabe Youichi / percussion
- Saga Yuk / vocals
- Aki / vocals

With:
- Yen Chang / vocal (on 8)
- Namie Tokyo / vocal (on 4)
- Hirose Junui / saxophone (on 9)

Maboroshi No Sekai-MABO-014 \2500 - 1994 (CD)

Re-released Maboroshi No Sekai in 2002 as " Bondage Fruit"

and to snobb for the last updates

BONDAGE FRUIT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BONDAGE FRUIT Bondage Fruit I Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
SelectedSelected
Fruit III RecitFruit III Recit
Vivid Sound
IVIV
Gazul/Musea 2006

More places to buy BONDAGE FRUIT music online Buy BONDAGE FRUIT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BONDAGE FRUIT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BONDAGE FRUIT Bondage Fruit I ratings distribution

BONDAGE FRUIT Bondage Fruit I reviews

4 stars I cannot praise this band enough.Their debut album is a Japanese flavour of Zeuhl that is simply intoxicating to say the least. Not as much guitar as HAPPY FAMILY, but more Zeuhl sounding with the relentless bass and drums along with the amazing female vocalists. They impliment some xylophone, miramba, violin and glockenspiel as well. The violin is actually quite prominant and is played so tastefully.

"Holly Roller" opens the proceedings as drums and guitar riffs set the pace. Violin jumps in with vocal melodies to create a great sound. "Arabia No Zou" is the song that appealed to me right away upon first listen. What a catchy beat with those heavy drums with two female vocalists singing at times the same parts, and then different parts. Nice. Kido on guitar grinds out an amazing guitar solo. What a song ! And the most Zeuhl sounding too. "Kodomo No Torokko" has some incredible vocal arrangements.The drums are again dominant before it all calms down as a violin melody is beautifully played. The drums are relentless and then the violin is replaced by the acoustic guitar. It all grows in intensity as vocal melodies come back along with violin 8 minutes in to the end of the song. "Rigo" is a cool song, a little different. Female vocal melodies along with xylophone? and violin.

"Octopus-Command" makes me say "Here we go !" as pounding drums and killer female vocal melodies are joined by violin that is on fire. The vocals here remind me of Mauricia from ZAO's debut. Oh my ! Ok enough with the adjectives I know, but this is truly amazing stuff. Some ripping guitar comes in before the melody just stops with only deep bass sounds to be heard. Very atmospheric until the guitar comes crashing back in. It then becomes quite frantic before settling down a wee bit. "Hikou Suru Ko" opens with some beautiful vocal melodies and a powerful drum / bass rhythm. The violin replaces the vocals briefly before we get a guest male vocalist 4 1/2 minutes in. "Kakuu No Sakana" gives us time to relax a little as it features acoustic guitar in a rhythm that sort of drifts along. Some sweet sounding violin comes in after 3 minutes. "Kinzoku No Taiji" opens with drumming at the speed of light. This song is complex and very much in your face. A wall of sound at times. The guitar solo 3 1/2 minutes in just goes on and on. We're not worthy !Check out the bass ! It's the vocals and drums turn to show off 6 1/2 minutes in. This has the best ending ever ! "T-Rex" features pounding drums and scorching guitar. This one gets a little extreme, it's great. Some guest sax later that borders on dissonant.

Thanks again Avestin. I'd also like to give a tip of the hat to loserboy who I have just passed on the review list. It's an honour to be up here with him, he's been abuntantly helpful over the years with his reviews here and on his web-site. He is so positive about music, I don't think i've ever read him say one negative thing about a band or album. Thanks Mr.Unger.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#141739) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Review by Tapfret
4 stars Stunning debut, launch pad for future greatness

Sub-genre: Zeuhl (good fit)
For Fans of: Koenjihyakkei, Ruins, Magma
Vocal Style: Multiple female (occasional male), vocals as instruments rather than vocals as lyrics
Guitar Style: Varying styles from distorted electric to sweet, full sounding acoustic
Keyboard Style: none
Percussion Style: Dual percussion, standard rock set plus, vibes, glock, trap drum, and I am pretty sure they kick a garbage can or 2
Bass Style: upright electric picked and occasionally beaten
Other Instruments: Electric violin played with ethereal Eastern influenced overtones

Summary: This is the first of an outstanding career by Bondage Fruit. This band is so free in its evolution that one would not likely identify this album as being from the same band as their most recent 6th release. The obvious differences are the vocals, which are integral to the fabric of the first two albums and completely absent after that. In the debut, the vocals are more layered, but occasionally sound out of tune. The guitar sound is much more aggressive in the first 2 albums as well. It seems that Kido Natsuki has directed his more distorted playing that we find in this album toward his power trio, Korekyojin. The album also differs from the traditional Zeuhl sound in that it lacks the prevailing darkness heard in the likes of Magma, Ruins and Koenjihyakei. The 2nd album would display this darkness with a very punky flavor. This album is electric and modern with textures of Eastern and traditional Japanese music. The traditional Japanese influence is well demonstrated in the very percussive opener, Holy Roller. My personal favorite from the album, as well as one of my 5 favorite Bondage Fruit songs, is Kinzoku no Taiji. The song is a Progressive tour de force, with a smash mouth slamming intro and verse.

Final Score: This is an excellent album, highly recommended and essential to any prog collection. This is so close to being a 5 star album, but the band seems to yet have the swagger present in the follow-up, or any of their even numbered releases. 4.2 very big stars.

Send comments to Tapfret (BETA) | Report this review (#157477) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Review by avestin
4 stars Tribal-zeuhl

Primordial sounding and somewhat raw, this wonderful Zeuhl album by the magnificent Japanese band is a stunning listening experience; it makes me think of me as the listener, exploring a foreign land, and on my way encountering unknown tribes and cultures, getting to know their bewitching music which works like magic, attracting to it unsuspecting strangers. The main instruments and sounds that are the most prominent here are the vocals, percussion, glockenspiel & vibraphone and the violin. The rest gives a good and effective support to the music.

Fast and frisky or slower and pounding, the music exerts its haunting effect continuously with an almost hypnotic fashion. The rhythm is engaging and the tune repetitive but mesmerizing. I can't help but get absorbed in this album when I put it, due to its addictive beat; it's relentless and seems unstoppable. The music has a positive and optimistic feel to it (even when it gets zany); it sounds as if they're having a blast playing and chanting. I sure have a great time listening to it. A good example of the amount of energy here would be the track Kinzoku no Taiji and particularly the intro to it with the powerful bass and rhythm section and the heavy out-of-control guitar that reappears later in the track causing havoc alongside the drums which seem to have also gone berserk. It sounds as if a wall of sound is crushing on you; best to play this very loud for the best effect. The vocalists, female vocals in the back and other leading (female & male) and sometimes crazy lead vocals, are at the forefront of the music serving as the extension of the rhythm and tunes, singing along with it and to it.

There's also some place for the instruments to express themselves in a more direct manner, such as the acoustic guitar in Kodomo no Torokko, vibraphone in Rigo and the violin throughout the album. In Octopus-Command, the guitar gets electrified and crazy as do the vocals which seem to have gone up to squeaking tones. In other words, there's also some variety with regards to the fact that repetitiveness is a key feature here. Hiko Suru Ko with its male vocalist reminds me a bit of some world music and actually provokes an image of an African wilderness and him and the band playing in the nature. The last track, T-Rex is perhaps the most experimental with its noisy and odd sounds and it would fit very well in other avant-rock albums I have. It definitely stands out in the album, but not in a bad way at all (for me, obviously). It does "resume normality" with the propulsive drumming and percussion and the violin and sax joining in elevating the noise factor even more (which is great to my ears). This ends the album with an unforgettable bang.

Rigo and Kaku No Sakana are two tracks that give a break from the otherwise persistent aural assault on our ears with their quiet, slow and percussion-less form, yet they are too based on repetition of a tune with an instrument in the foreground (violin) occasionally playing a few notes.

What more can one ask from an album? This is a superb listening experience, highly vibrant, full of life, catchy and rhythmic; irresistible. This is a great addition to your zeuhl and progressive music collection.

This will surely please fans of Magma, Eskaton and Koenjihyakkei and any fans of highly energetic, catchy (and eccentric) rhythmic based music.

Send comments to avestin (BETA) | Report this review (#176338) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Review by snobb
4 stars Excellent debut album from Japanese zeuhl band. I really love this kind of zeuhl - not very dark and totalitarian-depressive, as on classic Magma albums, but lighter, jazzy, not overloaded with Orffian visions.

This album is interesting because of being release of Japanese band its music has strong European roots. Usually Japanese zeuhl (as well as many other progressive rock subgenres) are heavily influenced by proto-punk psychedelia/hardcore. Bondage Fruit's debut is light (as much as zeuhl could be light), with strong tradition of European fusion and at the same time influenced by Japanese folklore. Light tribal fusion psychedelic zeuhl?

Album's music contains, besides of usual instruments, violin and male/female jazzy wordless vocals. These additions changed songs radically - music became more variable, less dark and much more attractive.

One of best Japanese zeuhl album for sure. Could attract experimental fusion fans as well. Recommended!

My rating is 4+

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#299743) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 19, 2010

Review by SaltyJon
4 stars Along with the frantic, hyper side of the Japanese Zeuhl scene, some bands were taking the genre and doing something a bit different with it. The music is still faster than the French Zeuhl scene, still seemingly influenced by punk and avant prog, but in comparison with the hyper brain-melting style present on the best albums of Ruins and Koenjihyakkei, Bondage Fruit's debut presents the tribal edge of Zeuhl more fluently. The vocals on this album are mainly female, not as much chanting in a made up language as much as singing wordless vocals. Some of the songs on the album are calmer, while some (for example, the closer) display the chaotic side which they generally keep under control. There is only one track on the album which doesn't impress me to quite the same level as the rest - the short Rigo. The song is only the vocalists along with some very sparse instrumentation, which isn't a bad thing, but it somehow doesn't work as well for me as I had hoped it would. The rest of the album is all very good to great though.

Kido Natsuki and Yuji Katsui are the real standout musicians here for me. Both of them are incredibly talented, and both are in quite a lot of groups I enjoy. If you want something which isn't always ripping into your skull at high speeds, yet want to discover the Japanese Zeuhl style, this album would be a very good choice for you. The music on display is creative and quite a lot of fun, and they manage to effectively mix together the intense and the thoughtful. This one is easily a four star album, and with time I may end up changing it to five.

Send comments to SaltyJon (BETA) | Report this review (#367777) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Bondage Fruit's debut album is a remarkably well-realised presentation of the band's unique sound, which takes the standard zeuhlish martial rhythms and applies a diverse compositional approach to it and an unusual set of instruments (for a zeuhl band) in order to achieve a sonic atmosphere which, whilst bearing the heritage of Magma here or there, is otherwise entirely original to the band. Kastui Yuji's violin deserves particular mention, Yuji displaying both an enviable virtuosity and an extensive capacity to rock out; at points I am reminded of the amazing violin solo at the end of Baba O'Riley, and any band capable of bridging Magma and The Who is surely one to watch.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#618850) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 25, 2012

4 stars Japanese Zeuhl band prior to koenjihyakkei. Much in the more aggressive Japanese Zeuhl as accustomed in Ruins The songs are very complex but balanced, both in execution and in the composition I'm a fan of konenjiyankkey and found the fruit recently, and to me, both are a great performance bands ... (read more)

Report this review (#505698) | Posted by Jo„o Paulo | Friday, August 19, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars That's what we are talking about ! This is the debut album from the Japanese band Bondage Fruit. They are labeled zeuhl, but that is a label loosely applied to their music. This album is all over the music scenes. From fusion aka Mahavishnu Orchestra to Magma. In between, they also visit Afr ... (read more)

Report this review (#352183) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, December 14, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Bondage Fruit are one of the earliest and most circulated (well, in Japan maybe) Japanese Zeuhl bands. This, their debut album, released in '94, was likely a main factor in the foundation of the Zeuhl movement there. However, unlike other Japanese Zeuhl outfits, Bondage Fruit does not expand much ... (read more)

Report this review (#174167) | Posted by Shakespeare | Tuesday, June 17, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BONDAGE FRUIT "Bondage Fruit I"