THE UNKNOWN

Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Conspiracy (5:05)
2. Confess (4:37)
3. New World (7:22)
4. 1/2 A World Away (5:47)
5. There Is No End (5:14)
6. The Wheel (5:26)

Search CONSPIRACY The Unknown tabs

- Chris Squire / vocals, bass guitar
- Jay Schellen / drums
- Billy Sherwood / vocals, guitar

CD Inside Out-IOMA 2060-2-USA (2003)

CONSPIRACY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CONSPIRACY The Unknown Music

The UnknownThe Unknown
Extra tracks
Inside Out U.S. 2004

More places to buy CONSPIRACY music online Buy CONSPIRACY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CONSPIRACY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CONSPIRACY The Unknown ratings distribution

CONSPIRACY The Unknown reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Gone fishing

The wait for Chris Squire to follow up his excellent "Fish out of water" solo album goes on, but this comes pretty close.

Conspiracy are Squire with former Yes member Billy Sherwood, who together write and produce this their first album under that name. While the unmistakable voice of Squire is immediately apparent, the sound is not really anything like that of traditional Yes. "Big generator" or "Open your eyes" are probably more appropriate reference points.

Sherwood performs most of the lead instrumental work on both guitar and keyboards, with Squire sticking to bass and vocals. While there are a handful of guest musicians, none of the other past or present Yes members are involved.

At over 11 minutes, the title track is the most adventurous, with Squire slipping in a bass solo among a diversity of sounds and music more reminiscent of "Fish out of water" than the other tracks. There's plenty of reasonably strong melodies throughout, and a general good feel to the album.

Had Sherwood remained with Yes, many of the tracks here would undoubtedly have gone on to be recorded by the band. The "bonus" track (what's the point in that?), "I could" especially is pure "Open your eyes".

Worth hearing, but not essential.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#32127) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 26, 2004

Review by Muzikman
4 stars I find it ironic that the title of this album ended up being "The Unknown". Everything about this music has to do with a "known" commodity by the name of Chris Squire, bass player extraordinaire for YES. He is the only Yes member that has remained with the group through its various incarnations, and that is a tribute to his magnitude and constancy over the years as the model band member and musician. His partner in crime is guitarist Billy Sherwood (WORLD TRADE, YES). Together they make one implausible album. Although all the credit goes to the dynamic duo, a wink and a nod must go to drummer Jay Schellen for holding down the backbeat of this band. The bass and drummer is the spine of the musical body, so I think giving credit where it is due is very important.

Squire sounds like that other lead singer in the other band he usually gigs with in some ways, and the music itself is more than just an "offshoot," as they call it, of Yes, it is in close proximity to what Yes music has sounded like in the past. For me that was not a disappointment, but a welcome mat for my ears to wrap around. Oh yeah, by the way . I love YES.

I may sound like a rhyming fool here, but there is a story that falls together as the album progresses, so here it goes . The very first song sets the pace as the boys put together their "Conspiracy" to start a "New World." "There Is No End" to their creativity in each of these tracks, as Squire is in good voice and his bass powerfully sweeps and thumps its way through each piece as Sherwood's guitar answers the call of the veteran Squire's melodic persistence and clear hook filled vocals. Their tour de force prog-rocker is the title track, it clocks in at 11:21, and it is quite a showstopper. It is a most proper way to wrap up this session for all of the diehard prog-rock enthusiast (and YES faithful). On this advance copy, I was lucky enough to receive the one with the bonus track; it usually does not work that way so I was happy.

Those of you that have enjoyed the artsy prog-pop rock of ASIA, John Wetton, and sometimes YES (I emphasize the word "sometimes"), will be very appreciative of this CD, others may look upon this disdainfully as a Yes rip off. I loved this album without exception and could not stop listening to it. Whatever your viewpoint is, you are entitled to it, just remember one thing . these gents are two world-class musicians making some of the best rock music that you will find today. There now, I have told what you will get and now it is up to you to decide whether or not if you want it.

Send comments to Muzikman (BETA) | Report this review (#32128) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 24, 2005

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars Billy Sherwood and Chris Squire team up again to deliver something fresh and interesting. Admittedly, the music contained on this album is tame and at times pop-oriented, but the vocals are strong and the compositions tight. It's a great album with some exceptional musicianship on the part of the duo, and it remains almost consistent throughout.

"Conspiracy" The record does begin with one of the weaker tracks, however. It's full of energy and impressive vocal work, but it is a far cry from the rest of what's here. While not bad, it sounds too much like something off of Yes's Open Your Eyes. The "rapped" chorus gets old fast, and the guitar soloing is uninspired and unnecessarily long.

"Confess" Relying on acoustic guitar and rapid drumming, this song has a good melody and a strong chorus. Strangely enough, this song makes think of Collective Soul, as it's easy to imagine Ed Roland singing lead vocals.

"New World" Chris Squire delivers powerful bass work on this uplifting track. The vocal arrangements are likewise good, since the listener can hear both Squire and Sherwood individually even though they sing together. The chorus lingers a tad too long, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The final part of the song, which reminds me of "Leave It" from Yes's 90125, doesn't quite fit the rest of the song and should have been cut.

"1/2 A World Away" One of the few Squire sings lead vocals on, it ventures from lovely sentimentality to adventurous rock. Sherwood does an excellent job singing his part also, and the effects used on various parts of the refrain add more variety. The short guitar solo is a perfect fit, and moves back into the verse. This song actually has a special place in my mind since before we were married, my wife and I lived hundreds of miles away (even though the context of the song is likely much different given the bridge).

"There is No End" Kicking off with a funky, Country & Western-like guitar lick and some slide work, here we have a song that's all right. The lyrics aren't bad, but are a trifle campy.

"The Wheel" Decidedly the most solid song here, "The Wheel" is full of intriguing layers and musical textures. For once, the band is not playing as though they must get through the piece as soon as possible. The song has atmospheric keyboards and a warbling synthesizer in the introduction. The lyrics and vocal melody are excellent, and Squire does an outstanding job harmonizing. Furthermore, his bass really fills out the sound, making it thick and rich (instead of serving as more of a lead instrument). Sherwood's guitar work is prime stuff (with a striking tone), particularly that leading up to the end, which comes down to galactic sounds and some clean guitar.

"Premonitions" An above-average track, this one has a funky acoustic guitar riff and some springy clean electric guitar. The vocals throughout the verse are rich and lovely, but the chorus is what makes this song a bit cringe-inducing; quite frankly, it's goofy sounding, as is much of the instrumentation throughout.

"The Unknown" The longest track by far begins with strange vocal work and a little mandolin played over some guitar in the background. Initially, the singing is over acoustic guitar, drums, and various sounds. Joining the mandolin is a sitar, adding to the musical tapestry. Yes, the song is over eleven minutes long, but it's loaded with lyrics, lyrics about the September 11th, 2001 US terrorist attacks: "Towers of life and dreams brought down." The words undeniably show a strong feeling of vengeance, one perhaps even espousing the 2003 declaration of war in the Middle East ("Waking giant cannot be denied," "You can run away, but now we've got you dead in our sights," and "We're bringing our toys, coming over to play"). The song is also above-average, but does run on much longer than it should.

"I Could" This song is an edgier and altogether different version of "Finally" from Yes's The Ladder, which Sherwood and Squire both collaborated on. It starts off with a heavily distorted guitar, and like most of what came before, is played at an upbeat tempo. Sherwood uses another countrified guitar tone for his solos between verses. Not as good as or as colorful as "Finally," but not at all bad either.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#191630) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Billy Sherwood was never an essential member of Yes. But I still cannot help but to feel a bit sorry for poor Billy. All the Yes albums he contributed to (with the possible exception of The Ladder) are among the most maligned ones; Union, Talk, Open Your Eyes and The Ladder. Personally, I like all these albums and there are more than a few similarities between these albums and the two Conspiracy albums. Open Your Eyes is probably the most similar one to The Unknown, and if you like that one you should not miss out on this one.

The Unknown basically continues were the first Conspiracy album left off. But The Unknown has much more modern sound and production, indeed this sound is often too modern for my taste. But the bass guitar and voice of the amazing Chris Squire are unmistakeable (or maybe not because him and Billy have very similar voices, that blend perfectly), as are the song writing talents of the two of them.

This music is very melodic and very catchy, often just too catchy for my taste. But also progressive - Crossover Prog is a very good description of this music. All the instruments are very well played and the guitar sound sometimes imitates Steve Howe's style.

The first track has an annoying part that might be described as a light-rap section! This bit reminds me more than a bit of Swedish Euro Disco artist E-Type - and that is not a compliment! Also on the title track there is a short bit that sounds like moderns RnB!! But apart from that, there is nothing offensive on this album at all. It flows really well, and almost every song is better than the previous one, reaching a climax with the 10 minute plus title track.

Globally, I prefer the first Conspiracy album but hard core Yes fans and followers of Chris Squire should not miss out on The Unknown. And if you don't mind ultra modern production qualities and catchy melodies, this might be something for you even if you don't follow Yes.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#197950) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 09, 2009

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
3 stars Conspiracy is the project of Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood, with the addition of drummer Jay Schellen. Chris provides bass/vocals and Billy guitar/vocals, and somewhat not surprising the result is an album that sounds suspiciously like Yes in many places, although without so many keyboards. It is only on listening to this that it becomes clear as to just how important Chris's vocals are to Yes, as while the music is interesting melodic rock it is the vocals that really drive this album home. It is not possible to play this without comparing it to Eighties Yes, although the music itself is quite different, it is just that all of the time the sound seems quite familiar.

Is it an album that is worth purchasing on its' own merit? Having been a Yes fan for more years than I would really care to remember I would probably want to hear this album just to see what it was about, and I am not sure how I would approach this if I wasn't so interested in knowing what the offshoot sounded like. But, this is an album that does keep the listener involved throughout. It is a bit laid back in places although the result is an album that does sound more like a band than a project. Melodic rock with just a hint of progressive tendencies which never falls into the trap of typical AOR, it will probably appeal more still to fans of Yes than of the genre as a whole.

Originally appeared in Feedback #78, April 2004

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#998636) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013

4 stars I think that this is an excellent body of music. I would recommend it to anyone who prefers progressive rock to all of the dross that passes for music these days. I often listen to this in the car. The songs are well written, arranged and recorded. I agree with others who commended the efforts ... (read more)

Report this review (#72430) | Posted by | Monday, March 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Over the last few years Chris Squire (Bass and Vocals), Billy Sherwood (Guitars, Keyboards and Vocals) and Jay Shellen (Drums and Percussion) have built up the 'Conspiracy Project' and, with the contribution of J.Haun, J.Berliant and M.Sherwood, in 2003, in the Californian Studios 'The Office' ... (read more)

Report this review (#45643) | Posted by | Monday, September 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CONSPIRACY "The Unknown"