WAITING FOR MIRACLES

Studio Album, released in 2019

CD 1 (63:28)
1. House of Cards (1:58)
2. Black Flag (7:42)
3. Miracles for America (10:03)
4. Vertigo (9:59)
5. The Bridge (5:32)
6. Ascending to the Stars (5:45)
7. Wicked Old Symphony (5:47)
8. The Rebel Circus (5:50)
9. Sleep with the Enemy (6:02)
10. The Crowning of Greed (4:50)

CD 2 (21:28)
11. House of Cards Reprise (1:21)
12. Spirals (5:06)
13. Steampunk (6:34)
14. We Were Always Here (7:35)
15. Busking at Brobank (0:52)

- Hasse Fröberg / lead & backing vocals
- Roine Stolt / electric, 12-string (2,13) & acoustic (5,7,9,14,15) guitars, keyboards, sequencer (4), Taurus Moog (8), Strings & pipe organ (9), Mellotron & ukulele (10,12), synth (14), lead vocals (3), co-producer
- Zach Kamins / Hammond, Mellotron, MiniMoog, synths, Rhodes, piano, Wurlitzer (7), Yamaha GX1 organ (8), glockenspiel & marimba (10,12), guitar & orchestration (6), Theremin & harmonium (15)
- Jonas Reingold / acoustic (5), fretless (4) & electric basses
- Mirko DeMaio / drums, percussion, vibes (3), timpani (3,6)

With:
- Michael Stolt / bass & Taurus Moog (1,2,7), backing vocals (3)
- John "Zach" Dellinger / viola (6)
- Paul Cartwright / violin (6)

Artwork: Kevin Sloan

CDx2 Inside Out Music ‎- 19075985272 (2019, Europe)

LPx2 + CDx2 Inside Out Music ‎- IOMLP 540 (2019, Europe) Full album on both media

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy THE FLOWER KINGS Waiting For Miracles Music

More places to buy THE FLOWER KINGS music online

THE FLOWER KINGS Waiting For Miracles ratings distribution

THE FLOWER KINGS Waiting For Miracles reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Reviewer
4 stars Back with the first Flower Kings album in six years, one immediately notes that long-time keyboard player Tomas Bodin is no longer with the band. He was an original member of the band, playing on the debut 'Back In The World of Adventures' back in 1995, and every release since, so I was very surprised to see him missing as he has been a key part of the sound since the beginning. This led me to do some quick checking of personnel and I was pleased to see other long-time members Hasse Fröberg (vocals) and Jonas Reingold (bass) still there alongside Roine Stolt (guitars, keyboards, ukulele, vocals). They have now been joined by Zach Kamins (keyboards, glockenspiel, guitar, Theremin, harmonium) and drummer Mirko DeMaio.

The Flower Kings will always have a special place in my affections, as I still remember being sent the solo album by the ex-Kaipa guitarist almost 30 years ago now, and the impact it had on me, never thinking it would lead to a full band. In addition, it was the first concert I ever took my youngest daughter to (and the photo of her at that gig, taken by the official tour photographer, appears at the end of Volume 3 of The Progressive Underground). I absolutely adore their music, and always look forward to each album, but always with just a hint of doubt. The reason for this is that Roine likes long songs and long albums (this one is well over 80 minutes in length), and it doesn't always work. There are times in the past where I have bemoaned the lack of an outside set of ears and the willingness to cull minutes of music from a song and make it more direct. However, the more recent albums have seen a much more focussed approach (even if no shorter), so what is this like?

Over recent years Roine has been working with other musicians and solo, and this is the first official new Flower Kings album since 2013's, 'Desolation Rose', with a new keyboard player to boot (I think there have been six or seven drummers over the years so they can obviously survive those changes). But, with Roine obviously very much in control, Hasse Fröberg still in fine voice and Reingold playing his normal set of different basses, adding the right sound where he needs to, I really shouldn't have worried. This is classic Flower Kings, as if they had never been away and as if Bodin was still there. Harmony vocals, lush sounds, layering of instruments, plenty of hooks and plenty of time for musicians to extend themselves without ever moving too far into the area of proving just how clever they are, this is an album any proghead will sit back with and smile.

The first time I listened to this I played it on headphones (always best with these guys I find) and just drifted along on a progressive wave, thoroughly enjoying the experience and never once wondering why they yet again weren't using an editor to cut back on their more over the top moments. Delicate when they need to be, rocky when the time is right, The Flower Kings are back with a wonderful release which is going to make them new friends with the old ones more than happy. Let's just hope we don't have to wait so long for the next one.

4 stars 𝗔 𝗦𝗮𝗳𝗲 𝗙𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗲𝗿 𝗞𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀 𝗔𝗹𝗯𝘂𝗺 The closest thing to a safe Flower Kings album for sure, I do really like this album but it is way mo ... (read more)

Report this review (#2418119) | Posted by Zoltanxvamos | Wednesday, July 8, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A measure of how much I enjoyed this album is that I over generously awarded it 5 stars after I first listened to it. Now I've had more of an opportunity to let it settle in my head I realize that 4 stars is a bit more appropriate. It reverts in musical style back to the period of the band I enjoyed ... (read more)

Report this review (#2285436) | Posted by iluvmarillion | Wednesday, December 4, 2019 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Another solid release from The Flower Kings. Waiting For Miracles is familiar territory, but different enough to show the band has changed. It still features excellent musicianship, and The Flower Kings signature sound with Roine at the helm. As far as the music goes, We Were Always Here is one o ... (read more)

Report this review (#2280274) | Posted by javajeff | Monday, November 11, 2019 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE FLOWER KINGS "Waiting For Miracles"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.