EUPNEA

Pure Reason Revolution Eupnea album cover

Buy PURE REASON REVOLUTION Music
Studio Album, released in 2020

1. New Obsession (5:09)
2. Silent Genesis (10:20)
3. Maelstrom (5:44)
4. Ghosts & Typhoons (8:45)
5. Beyond Our Bodies (4:28)
6. Eupnea (13:23)

Total time 47:49

- Jon Courtney / vocals, guitars, keyboards
- ChloŽ Alper / vocals, bass, keyboard

With
- Geoff Dugmore / drums

CD, LP, Digital download - InsideOut Music

Release date April 3, 2020

Thanks to TCat for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

Buy PURE REASON REVOLUTION Eupnea Music

More places to buy PURE REASON REVOLUTION music online Buy PURE REASON REVOLUTION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

PURE REASON REVOLUTION Eupnea ratings distribution

PURE REASON REVOLUTION Eupnea reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
4 stars This was a totally unexpected pleasure! Since the band's last studio album, Hammer and Anvil, was released in 2010, I had thought they were kaput.

Other reviewers comment on the "return to the form of their debut (The Dark Third)" while some have noted what I feel is a more accurate description of Eupnea being a kind of perfect mťlange of all three of their previous albums. The atmospheric spaciousness of TDT is definitely present in spades?as as re the wonderful multiple layered vocals of ChloŽ and Rob--but the heavy chord play and darkness of Amor Vincit Omnia and Hammer and Anvil are also quite present. Where this album shows its weakness, I'm sorry to say, is in the lyrical content. WTF are they talking about? These lyrics are too banal, too personal, and not poetic enough to stand alone without interpretation. And then, with Jon's nicely laid out song-by-song run through (on louder sound website) it brings more clarity and significance to each song's lyrics but it shouldn't have to be this way. I'm looking for transparency with the sensuality of Baudelaire, not hidden meaning within a sub-functional vocabulary. It's very disappointing to me when so much effort is spent on creating such beautiful, meticulously charted vocals when the messages being conveyed are naught but nugatory persiflage.

Still, many people are remarking on the band's newfound "confidence" and maturity and I will second this: the way the music is spread out and in no hurry to start, develop, or finish indicates to me a band that is very confident in what it is doing?enjoying every note and every nuance of each song's journey. And it pays off as this spaciousness allows for the listeners to have some really meaty material to sink into?and sink deeply!

Music: 8.75/10; sound/production: 9/10; lyrics: 7/10. Unfortunately, this is not an instrumental album.

Five star songs: 2. "Silent Genesis" (10:20) (18.25/20); 4. "Ghosts & Typhoons" (8:45) with its amazing second half (18/20), and; 6. "Eupnea" (13:23) (26.5/30).

Four star songs: 1. "New Obsession" (5:07) (8.67/10); 3. "Maelstrom" (5:44) (8.33/10); 5. "Beyond Our Bodies" (4:28) (8.5/10)

B+/4.5 stars; a near-masterpiece of progressive rock music. It's so great to have Pure Reason back! And I'm happy for the positive outcome of Jon's daughter's premature birth.

Review by TCat
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic / Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team
5 stars Pure Reason Revolution is one of those bands that started off strongly with their album 'The Dark Third' in 2006, an album that would instantly get a lot of respect in prog circles, especially among Pink Floyd fans. Their music mixed those lush PF sounds with their own unique male/female layered vocals, at times becoming very exploratory and giving a space rock mentality. Everyone was interested in where this band would go. Unfortunately, they moved to a more radio-friendly sound, and the follow up albums 'Amor Vincit Omnia' and 'Hammer and Anvil' did not stand up to the expectations set by that debut album. After ten years of becoming basically a memory, everyone had given up on them and had to settle on their one excellent album. Suddenly, the announcement was made that their new album 'Eupnea' would be released in 2020 and that it would be a return to form. Yeah, we've all heard that one before. But I have to admit that I was curious anyway.

So, I heard the new album once, and thought it sounded really great. But I had to be sure. So I listened more, and things just kept getting better the more I would listen. Not only has the band had a 'return to form', but they have also 'progressed' their sound to include a wider palette of styles making themselves more 'eclectic' in a way, effectively infusing other progressive styles into their music. Jon and Chloe have returned, and in a big way.

'New Obsession' sounds a few steps more promising than what we have been hearing from the band in their last few albums. There is a level of the poppiness there, but there is a definite return to form, at least somewhat. However, with 'Silent Genesis', the band not only returns to full-form with an amazing 10 minute track, but even steps ever so confidently into both progressive metal and jazz fusion territories as the track continues. The music as a result sounds so much more mature with a track that is even better than anything on their masterpiece album 'The Dark Third'. What an impressive track, and now we hear that the compositional genius of the band has only been laying dormant for several years, only to be awakened with a vengeance on this track.

'Maelstrom' then takes on a nice, slick and lush sound with Chloe taking the lead vocals alone this time before eventually sharing them with Jon later on. Now, we've got a track that sits quite comfortably among a more artistic pop sound, one that merits a spot alongside some of the better tracks of Alan Parsons Project, but with the unique PRR harmonies. But, it picks up some steam by the last third of the track with a great balance of vocals/guitars/keyboards. Very nice. 'Ghosts and Typhoons' goes back to a longer form track and begins with a sound more reminiscent of the songs on 'The Dark Third', that sound that so effectively brings in the Pink Floyd-ian styles that were explored so well on that album while retaining their unique vocal styling. But, you are not left to just float along for 8 minutes, like you might have been on that previous album. This time, the music becomes heavier and more intense, using dynamics to their advantage to create more depth. Then, to make it even more interesting, you get splashes of some great symphonic styles which later give way to layers of heaviness as it all re-develops to end in a powerful way.

The rest of the album continues to impress and amaze, especially with the 13 minute title track. When you listen to this, you will know that it is still the same band that created 'The Dark Third', but have even improved beyond that, which is what you would expect from any top-rate progressive band. I definitely had my doubts that PRR could ever come close to their debut album, but not only have they come close to it, they have surpassed it. Now they have done something that I had never expected them to do, create an album that could easily contend for the best album of the year. It is so good to have them back, better than ever!

4 stars It is wonderful when You discover a new group here in this website. I have been around reading the reviews and posting my own for more than 10 years and sometimes I hit the "random" link on top and not all the time I found things I like but now, oh boy! I am in love with this album. It is kinda ... (read more)

Report this review (#2348103) | Posted by steelyhead | Tuesday, April 7, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I was waiting this record for a long time because i love Pure Reason Revolution but i was not sure how good this new work could have been.Well, this is the best piece of music of 2020 (and,may be 2021?), hands down!Powerful and delicate at the same time,so much in the vein of The Dark Third tha ... (read more)

Report this review (#2347611) | Posted by Nomzamo | Sunday, April 5, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars They're back and they're better than they have been since their debut! The first time I ever heard about Pure Reason Revolution was when I saw them open for Porcupine Tree in Barcelona. You could say that it was love at first sight: the Floydian ambience, the pop hooks and the killer riffs made m ... (read more)

Report this review (#2347349) | Posted by Tasartir | Friday, April 3, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars EUPNEA is Pure Reason Revolution returning back to its roots. After a 10 years break, Chloe Alper and John Courtney new effort brings back the band to its trademark elements: Space Rock with great use of vocal harmonies, catchy choruses, grunge beats and heavy guitars. Fans of "The Dark Third" will ... (read more)

Report this review (#2347039) | Posted by Deadwing | Friday, April 3, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PURE REASON REVOLUTION "Eupnea"