Ekseption

Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Introduction (0:35)
2. Siciliano In G (3:20)
3. Vivace (5:16)
4. For Exampleple / For Sure (9:03)
5. Virginal (4:30)
6. A La Turka (2:26)
7. Midbar Session (10:03)
8. Pie (1:30)

- Cor Dekker / bass guitar
- Dick Remelink / saxes, flute
- Peter de Leeuwe / drums, percussion, 12 string guitar

Guest:
- Rick Van der Linden junior (2 years) on "My son"

LP Philips 6423042 (1972)

and to Snow Dog for the last updates

EKSEPTION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy EKSEPTION 5 Music

Vinyl$8.00 (used)
Ekseption - 5 - Philips - 6423 042Ekseption - 5 - Philips - 6423 042
Philips
Vinyl$15.30 (used)
Ekseption - The 5th - Fontana - 6428 121Ekseption - The 5th - Fontana - 6428 121
Fontana
Vinyl$16.13 (used)
Ekseption 5Ekseption 5
Philips
Vinyl$143.00
Same (The 5th..) / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]Same (The 5th..) / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]
Vinyl$6.51 (used)
EKSEPTION 5th symphony France 7 Blue back cover Beat Psych Pop Listen USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE EKSEPTION 45 " Beethoven 5th Symphony / Sabre Dance " PHILIPS France USD $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Ekseption 5 by Ekseption [Vinyl NM / VG] USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
EKSEPTION 5th LP 11 Track GERMAN Fontana USD $8.24 Buy It Now 4 days
BEETHOVEN 5TH SYMPHONY played by EKSEPTION B/w SABRE DA USD $25.99 Buy It Now 4 days
EKSEPTION 5 original 1972 U.S. lp Holland prog Philips Rick Van Der LInden ELP USD $6.99 [0 bids]
EKSEPTION 5 1972 ORIG WHITE LABEL PROMO - JAZZ ROCK INSTRUMENTAL - N/M VINYL USD $9.99 [0 bids]
EKSEPTION 5th symphony France Original 7 Beat Pop Red back cover Listen USD $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
EKSEPTION The 5th / Sabre Dance ROCK 45 RPM RECORD USD $14.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Ekseption 5 RARE Israeli Israel LP Classic-Prog LISTEN USD $14.24 Buy It Now 12 days
EKSEPTION 5 GERMANY Original LP 1972 Philips w/GF Cover Safe & Free Shipping !! USD $43.95 Buy It Now 13 days
PROG ROCK LP: EKSEPTION 5 Canadian Press Philips USD $14.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Ekseption - 5 LP Psych philips 1972 original s USD $14.99 Buy It Now 13 days
? Ekseption - Ekseption 5(Philips 700-002) VanDerLinden USD $14.99 Buy It Now 13 days
EKSEPTION 5 Dutch Prog Rock Austrian Import Ex Libris PH 6858 040 NM USD $24.95 Buy It Now 15 days
Ekseption -The 5th (1998 16-track compilation from Dutch prog rockers) USD $2.69 Buy It Now 16 days
EKSEPTION 5 1972 GERMANY PHILIPS LP 6423042 USD $10.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Ekseption - 5 LP (1972 Vinyl, Promo Pressing!) USD $10.99 Buy It Now 21 days
EKSEPTION the 5th JAPAN 7" SFL-1255 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 22 days
EKSEPTION "5" RARE 1973 ISRAELI LP* Unique LABEL* LEGEND DUTCH SYMPHO-ROCK GROUP USD $3.00 Buy It Now 23 days
EKSEPTION - 5 SINFONIA - PORTUGAL 45 EP USD $24.00 Buy It Now 23 days
EKSEPTION EP MADE IN PORTUGAL 45 PS 7 *5º SINFONIA, CANVAS, ARIA, LITTLE X PLUS* USD $9.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Ekseption / 5 French Gatefold Vinyl LP Stunning Condition Philips 6319 201 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Ekseption 5 Original Philips Jazz Prog / Psych LP USD $8.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy EKSEPTION music online Buy EKSEPTION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for EKSEPTION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

EKSEPTION 5 ratings distribution

EKSEPTION 5 reviews

Review by slipperman
2 stars Yuck. When it comes to Symphonic Progressive Rock, Ekseption lacks the "progressive" and "rock" aspects. By the time this album was released (1972), marrying rock instrumentation and symphony orchestra was nothing new (see Procol Harum, Deep Purple, The Moody Blues, etc.) Simply combining the styles can't automatically be called a progressive gesture. There must be something more there. And I can find no trace of rock here. Ekseption's music lacks that viseral element necessary for anything labelled "rock". There might be drums and electric bass guitar here, but their role is downplayed, and their rhythmic attack, if you can even call it that, is feeble.

There is no doubting Rick Van Der Linden's talent. He certainly possesses plenty of inspiration to even try modern interpretations of Bach and Mozart pieces, and his stabs at original composition are commendable. But too many times the final result is less crashing symphonic color and more cheesy lite-jazz inflected pop (ie. early Chicago). Not even a song co-written by Keith Emerson ("For Example/For Sure") can stave off the album's dull plod.

I would give this one star because it's so unattractive to my ears and, I imagine, the ears of many symphonic prog fans who would rather hear Eela Craig, The Enid or indeed, ELP, do this sort of thing. But I'll give it another star for the band's inarguable talent, and because Van Der Linden does produce a few squiggly synth sounds that can't help but make even the most discerning prog fan smile. Most of it just makes me cry, cuz I spent $12 on this piece of vinyl and will probably never be able to sell it back at half the price. More fool me.

Send comments to slipperman (BETA) | Report this review (#62895) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 02, 2006

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars Quite a disapointment , really. True, I knew Ric Van Der Linden from the band Trace in the mid seventies and I was expecting something in that vein. I mean, good, symphonic prog rock. And instead what I got was an instrumental album that triees to mix, unsuccessfully I should say, jazz, rock and classical music (very few rock, be aware). The results are far from satisfying, bordering the ´cocktail´ jazz-pop type. After so much praising I heard from a lot of prog fans i could not help but feeling they were talking about a different record.

Not that everything here is bad. No. There are some nice tracks like classical influenced Virginal and the playful song My Son (even if the silly child´s noise in the background isa bit too cheesy, he had the right to do so). But most of the time the stuff is uninteresting jazz/rock/classical fusion that goes nowhere. Not really Just plain boring stuff, but I´ve heard this kind of mix done much better by ELP and others. A pity, since it is obvious that the musicians involved are all excellent ones. Even the use of instruments like trumpet and flugelhorn, not very commonly associated to a prog band, could lift it up.

If you´re into some soft jazz, this record may be a good pick. For progheads I found very few worthy moments. To me, 5 is for collectors and fans only. 2 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#241818) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 28, 2009

3 stars Time has gone since I reviewed "Trinity" and now it's time for Ekseption's fifht release with the name and number "5". The record was recorded 1972, three years after the debut record. I purchased it for a cheap amount on a second hand store and got a lot of nice minutes for this morning's work ... (read more)

Report this review (#1285508) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Sunday, September 28, 2014 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Symphonic prog without rock from Holland. An album where some cries masterpiece !! and other cries poor !. It is a love/hate record. It is probably a love/hate band too. The beef: The nearest reference to this album and Ekseption is Sky, The Nice and Emerson, Lake & Palmer. But where these t ... (read more)

Report this review (#185707) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, October 14, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one of my preferred albums and I consider it really a masterpiece of progressive music. It has a special place in my collection of LPs. I still like to listen Ekseption 5 music after more than 30 years, and it is one of the few LPs I like to listen from the beginning to the end. The p ... (read more)

Report this review (#122427) | Posted by isa71m | Wednesday, May 16, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Ekseption is with no doubt the most successful progressive rock band (yes, it is rock) when it comes to fusing rock and classical music. And quite a bit of jazz of course. This happens to be Ekseption at their very best, and it deserves no less than a masterpiece rating. ... (read more)

Report this review (#63031) | Posted by erlenst | Tuesday, January 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars At the time of writing this album has yet to be released on CD. This album starts off with Beethoven played by Rick on church organ, and it ends with Beethoven on church organ. In between we are in for a very diverse musical treat, where the famous Ekseption formula of mixing classical with roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#32843) | Posted by | Saturday, September 25, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of EKSEPTION "5"