VIRUS

2. Invasion (6:42)
3. Carousel (10:29)
4. The Strain (5:23)
5. Canary Yellow (4:14)
6. Messiah Complex I: Ivory Tower (3:57)
7. Messiah Complex II: A Glutton for Punishment (3:38)
8. Messiah Complex III: Marigold (2:24)
9. Messiah Complex IV: The Sect (2:02)
10. Messiah Complex V: Ectobius Rex (4:57)
11. Only Stars (2:10)

* - "Prosthetic" song is a bridge between the two albums, "Vector" and "Virus"

- Ross Jennings / vocals
- Charlie Griffiths / guitars
- Richard Henshall / guitars
- Diego Tejeida / keyboards
- Conner Green / bass
- Raymond Hearne / drums

Artwork: Blacklake

Label: The Orchard Music, SME (on behalf of InsideOutMusic)
Format: 2LP/CD, Limited 2CD, CD, Digital
July 10, 2020

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

Buy HAKEN Virus Music

More places to buy HAKEN music online

HAKEN Virus ratings distribution

HAKEN Virus reviews

Review by rdtprog
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Heavy / RPI / Symphonic Prog Team
4 stars Is the new album of Haken is an indication of a new direction of the band with his title that reflects the new reality in our world? The previous ''Vector'' album was supposed to be a double album, but they knew they were going to write another album which is ''Virus''. They had the title 2 years ago, so it's just bad timing.I couldn't recognize the band with the first song ''Prosthetic''. This sounds more like an extreme metal or even a new metal band with this big and fast pace metal more in the vein of Fear Factory. We can feel the urgency in the music with a dark atmosphere and that fast pace style. The second song brings back the usual Haken style with this djent influence and the way Ross Jennings plays a sort of instrument with his voice, Leprous style. The band keep his Dream Theater complex style of metal with many tempo changes, some lighter breaks that bring the calm after the storm.

Despite his heaviness, this is still melodic and more eclectic than anything previous this one. This is coming at the right time bringing more excitement for the fans.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams
4 stars Having released its first album "Aquarius" only a decade ago, HAKEN has since become one of prog metal's most celebrated and anticipated acts with a series of albums and EPs that show a band that loves to change things up on every release without losing the core idiosyncrasies that makes this English band stand out from the prog metal pack. Despite the stylistic shifts from album to album one can easily distinguish the first three albums more focused on the progressive rock side of the equation from the latest three which crank out a more bombastic metal heft often at the expense of falling into the traps of mediocrity which was particularly so on the band's last album "Vector." It seemed as if HAKEN was fresh out of ideas and innovation and was resorting to a paint-by-numbers techniques of songwriting but with the band's sixth album VIRUS, the inspiration seems to have returned and although i wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to check out a new HAKEN album, i have been pleasantly surprised that this is a well-thought out intricately designed expression of prog metal in the modern era.

Although its merely happenstance that the title VIRUS was picked for an album that came out in the year that is all about microscopic pathogens, the title refers more to mental psychopathies rather than the physical varieties. This album that clocks in just shy of the 52 minute mark encapsulates themes that arise in the form of institutional abuse as well as physical and metal abusive relationships, anxiety, depression as well as suicide. Musically the album merges both aspects of the band's well known sounds. While rooted in the heavy djent-ish guitar riffs of the later albums, HAKEN has returned to its atmospheric roots by adding emotive counterpoints meticulously engineered and mixed by ex-Periphery bassist Adam "Nolly" Getgood. The result of this grab bag of HAKEN-isms is a stellar well-balanced album that celebrates a decade of prog metal ingenuity cleverly truncated into a single album's listening experience.

The album starts off with the lead single "Prosthetic" which was the first track crafted by the band and which sets the tone for the entire album's feel. The track immediately blends the eerie atmospheres with heavy guitar stomping bombast steeped in staccato palm muting action and accompanied by technically infused energetic drum workouts. At this stage in the band's career i would say they sound more like where Leprous should've been heading had they not abandoned their metal origins altogether and steered into sleepy time prog. The album continues with twelve tracks that blend the subtle melodic counterpoints of vocals, guitar and bass with the soaring keyboard accoutrements and jazzy drum workouts. The twin guitar attacks are tastefully reserved with dueling riffs and occasional soloing as extended pastiches of the emotive lyrical directions. The brashness of the slightly atonal djent guitar orotundity during the heavier parts in conjunct with Ross Jennings fragile and expressive vocal parts offer a beautiful contrast that works on all levels.

The highlight of the album has to be the five part "Messiah Complex" which is a tale of the ascent to power, tyranny and subsequent endgame beautifully brought to life by a series of musical motifs and musical gymnastics not heard from HAKEN since "The Mountain" such as the beautiful vocal harmonies heard on "Marigold." Despite the multi-suite magnitude of these tracks the individual parts are actually quite succinct with most just over two minutes and the grand finale "Ectobius Rex" just missing the five. Some of the most daring prog metal gymnastics occur in these final moments when wrestlers guitars riff up a storm with jittery time signature ambushes and Gentle Giant inspired vocal games emerge unexpectedly in "The Sect" along with angelic atmospheric backdrops and groovy rhythms, sizzling little solos and even a few video game noises. After a climactic finale of the "Messiah Complex" suite, the album tenderly drifts off into the spacey closer "Only Stars" which drops the metal altogether and offers a little dream pop ambience.

While HAKEN started out with a series of strong albums that crafted an intricate display of metal and prog in a powerful combo effect, on "Affinity" the band started to get cold feet and retreated from the more ambitious mingling of styles that got them noticed in the first place. While "Vector" was a step up at least in terms of quality of the composiitons, the band was still suffering from sounding generic and failed to stand out from millions of similar sounding bands. Happy to say that on VIRUS these guys have struck gold again by taking the heaviness of the last two albums and bringing back the diverse elements that made the first three albums so unique. Add a little emphasis on staccato driven grooves and an incessantly eerie atmospheric presence accompanied by strong melodic vocal performances and i can only conclude that HAKEN has made a triumphant return to form. While HAKEN will never rank high as one of my favorite bands of all time, i do enjoy their unique stylistic approach that they have made all their own even if influences are sometimes a bit too close for comfort. VIRUS doesn't miss a beat and offers an album's worth of updated HAKEN tunes to allow you to forget about the wild roller coast ride that is 2020, at least for nearly an hour's length.

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
3 stars They're back! And they're still doing that djenty-metal thing that they've been doing for the past ten years.

1. Prosthetic (5:58) full-on djent-metal! I actualy love the distortion effect on Ross's voice--and the opening vocal section. After that it turns into an aggressive KARNIVOOL song. Not bad. (8.5/10)

2. "Invasion" (6:42) cool start before it descends into usual acrid metal. (These plastic-sounding drums are so annoying.) The vocal reminds me of KARNIVOOL's Ian Kenny. In fact, the whole song reminds me of KARNIVOOL. (8.75/10)

3. "Carousel" (10:29) what?! Britain's Got Talent?! Tears for Fears? 0:30: Oh, good. This is Haken. (Though I still hear so much of KARNIVOOL. And maybe a little of the older LEPROUS.) The chorus at 5:00 is outright lame. The sparse slowdown section in the eighth minute is spoiled by that childish Hallowe'en bass line. Too bad cuz there's some other good stuff going on here (voice, keys, guitar, drums). (17/20)

4. "The Strain" (5:23) a horrible vocal (partly due to the effect chosen) opens this one before it turns nice-LEPROUS. Ross's voice sounds worn and old here, the chorus like KARNIVOOL's "Whipping Boy." The spacious, slowdown section in this song is better, more atmospheric--and the high octave vocal very nice. (8.75/10)

5. "Canary Yellow" (4:14) the gentler, more sedate side of KARNIVOOL. Wish it was better--more compelling. (8.5/10)

6. "Messiah Complex I: Ivory Tower" (3:57) psych guitar?! Weird! Not a bad song--until 2:15. That guitar riff is horrid--ruins it! (8.25/10) 7. "Messiah Complex II: A Glutton for Punishment" (3:38) continues the drumming here is so off-putting! Then they try to put LEPROUS and QUEEN vocals over the top! No! (7.75/10) 8. "Messiah Complex III: Marigold" (2:24) the music takes a complete turn here, into soft Neo Prog with some respectable drum play beneath the choral voices. But they couldn't let it go--had to burst into the militaristic heavy metal music. I'm not sure I can take these plastic drums any more. I'm going to have to go listen to some nice 1970s psychedelia just to get over the trauma! (4/5) 9. "Messiah Complex IV: The Sect" (2:02) something cool about all the stop-and-go epithets being spouted out here. (4.5/5) 10. "Messiah Complex V: Ectobius Rex (4:57) great start to the finale turns to DEVY TOWNSEND. They do a fairly good job of it, too! Doesn't save the epic suite, but gives me a shred of lingering hope. (9/10)

11. "Only Stars" (2:10) are they trying to elevate Ross into the realms of Einar Solberg or That Joe Payne? (4.5/5)

This year's model shows a continued addiction to loud, violent forms of human expression. And it's so like several other contemporary djenty metal bands. I guess I've been waiting for their album of chamber music.

B/four stars; an album that you might like--especially if you're into the TOOL-DEVIN TOWNSEND school of heavy metal prog.

3 stars - Review #22 - So, Vector and Virus are one album. They both feature the same characteristics, the same story, even a similar minimalistic album cover. I also think it deserves the same three star rating as Vector, even though I think it's better than Vector. Virus features the same amount of ... (read more)

Report this review (#2546145) | Posted by King Brimstone | Thursday, May 27, 2021 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The English prog metal band Haken returns with the eagerly awaited sequel to its previous album (released in October 2018), a new chapter which has been highlighted with two previous albums. The proposed concept is the continuation of the "psychoanalytic" story set in the 1950s: we return, in fa ... (read more)

Report this review (#2529291) | Posted by prog_traveller!! | Monday, March 29, 2021 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Virus is more or less the same album as Vector, which makes sense since they're both technically one album. That's why I'm giving it the same rating as Vector, because they both have the same quality. Basically it's Djentesque progressive metal. Djent has been growing in popularity, that doesn't ... (read more)

Report this review (#2526554) | Posted by Isaac Peretz | Friday, March 19, 2021 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is crazy. I can't think of any other album from 2020 I've heard so far that defines "progressive rock". These guys are not sound chasers, looking to recreate the musical palette of older bands. This is an album that only cites one influence, and it cities it so heavily you can't help but ... (read more)

Report this review (#2477559) | Posted by Corcoranw687 | Thursday, November 19, 2020 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A really good progressive metal album! I must say that at this point nothing less is expected from Haken - the 'relatively' young London outfit that started well in 2007, has released a bunch of milestone, in my opinion, hard-hitting heavy prog albums since then. 'Virus' was presented as the cont ... (read more)

Report this review (#2460614) | Posted by A Crimson Mellotron | Wednesday, October 28, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Haken is one of those bands that becomes better with each record, and this is their masterpiece. Musically, I think this is a concept album (which I'll go into later), though I don't know if it has a story. Whatever, it's a great album and I recommend to all. The album begins with the bombast ... (read more)

Report this review (#2453769) | Posted by FatherChristmas | Sunday, October 4, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars With Virus I finally decided to dive in the discography of Haken and see what they're all about, and i'm very glad I did. This was the first album I really fully listened to from them, I think it's a great and truly progressive album that will certainly make the 2020 podium for me. The album is ... (read more)

Report this review (#2451377) | Posted by dougmcauliffe | Sunday, September 27, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Haken formed in 2007 in London England. They had their critical breakthrough in 2013 with The Mountain, which was pretty much met with critical acclaim everywhere. A little side note i do have to mention is the title of this album has nothing to do with the current covid 19 outbreak. The ba ... (read more)

Report this review (#2448523) | Posted by thesimilitudeofprog | Thursday, September 17, 2020 | Review Permanlink

2 stars On Haken's previous effort, 2018's Vektor, the band embraced a heavier chock-full-of metal riffs approach. While I found the album enjoyable all around, I had hopes that the sound on that record was more of a detour and not a full-fledged pivot. You see, although perfectly competent as metal com ... (read more)

Report this review (#2441908) | Posted by ssmarcus | Thursday, August 27, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars VIrus is Haken's best album yet. The six Englishmen have always been a bit of a hit-and-miss for me. Of course, I always appreciated their incredible technical chops and that hunger for pushing the envelope that led them to incorporate so many influences and styles into their music to the point of n ... (read more)

Report this review (#2440364) | Posted by lukretio | Saturday, August 22, 2020 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Haken continue to explore the territory of their most popular song with a quick successor to 2018's Vector. The music remains similar to what can be heard on the red one: lots of heavy technical riffing adulterated with melodic vocals and different kinds of stuff one might classify as prog elements. ... (read more)

Report this review (#2432563) | Posted by Homotopy | Monday, July 27, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I will avoid using the typical talking-points as they have been mentioned so many times such as the fact that "Virus" is the second part of a story that begins with "Vector" and ends with their song "Cockroach King". Long story short, "Virus" is not the melodic playground of the past that we hea ... (read more)

Report this review (#2432492) | Posted by xavier.petrick | Sunday, July 26, 2020 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The first thing that you will notice is the title. This is the year of the virus. Well, Virus the album, is a unique sounding release in the Haken catalog. It sounds less formula than the last two, so they made some effort to sound fresh and offer something new. The good news is that Virus does add ... (read more)

Report this review (#2431710) | Posted by javajeff | Friday, July 24, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HAKEN "Virus"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.