MESSAGE

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Fine LineFine Line
Extra tracks · Import
Jvc 1998

Message In Blood - Next of kin Skin Oi! hool isd USD $1.77 Buy It Now
LOVE HAPPY message of love MCST 2040 uk mca 1995 12" PS VG+/EX USD $13.97 Buy It Now
CASSETTE SINGLE - ELECTRONIC GET THE MESSAGE - EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $6.36 [0 bids]
MILLS STAR-SCAPE SINGERS the heraldic message LP Sealed KGOM22 Vinyl 1985 Record USD $24.00 Buy It Now
The Soldiers with Robin Gibb-I've Gotta Get A Message To You (The Official Poppy USD $3.55 Buy It Now
Club Nouveau - Listen To The Message LP WARNER 1988 USD $11.04 Buy It Now
Electronic 'Get The Message' & 'Feel Every Beat' White Label Promos USD $19.07 Buy It Now
Es-Plant - Message - Japan CD - NEW J-POP - 14Tracks USD $18.50 Buy It Now
EVERY LITTLE THING-14 MESSAGE: EVERY BEST SONGS 2 CD NEW USD $19.86 Buy It Now 17m 45s
Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings [Box] by The Police CD Set USD $14.95 Buy It Now 33m 3s
SOUL FUNK 45 - D.J. ROGERS - LISTEN TO THE MESSAGE - SHELTER 7322 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 33m 25s
SOUL JAZZ 45 - ILLINOIS JACQUET - THE MESSAGE / BONITA - ARGO 5444 VG+ USD $11.99 Buy It Now 33m 25s
UNIVERSAL MESSAGE, VOL. 3 USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $8.45 Buy It Now 40m 46s
MEN WITHOUT HATS - I Got The Message - Original 1983 UK Statik label 3-track 12" USD $16.19 Buy It Now 46m 8s
Love Happy Message Of Love 12" Single Promo NM 1995 USD $6.95 Buy It Now 50m 37s
Ghost Box Study Series 10 Message and Method Belbury Poly and Spacedog Vinyl USD $20.59 Buy It Now 51m 7s
Kam New Message w/Akon / Juice I'll Hip Hop 12" Single Sealed Bolo 2004 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 52m 38s
Meters 45 A Message From The Meters / Zony Mash NM USD $10.00 Buy It Now 54m 1s
GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE / THE MESSAGE / RAP HIP HOP 45 PC USD $7.45 [3 bids]
O'Jays, The - Message In Our Music 7" USD $1.91 Buy It Now 1h 20m
UNIVERSAL MESSAGE, VOL. 3 NEW CD USD $11.79 Buy It Now 1h 32m
A MESSAGE FROM BIRDLAND NEW CD USD $19.98 Buy It Now 1h 32m
MFSB Love Is The Message LP Philadelphia International KZ-32707 Soul Train Theme USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
NEVILLE MARTIN - THE MESSAGE / VERSION- CLAN DISC - REGGAE - ROOTS - MINTY USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Duotang The Message/Review/Farewell 7" Vinyl Record rare Mint Records Canada NM- USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
THE SPECIALS & RICO A MESSAGE TO YOU RUDY/NITE CLUB 45 1979 2 TONE USD $2.87 [10 bids]
CLUB NOUVEAU Listen To The Message LP VINYL 9 Track Unopened In Original USD $8.25 Buy It Now 2h 19m
A CHRISTMAS MESSAGE Various Artists LP VINYL 11 Track Featuring Vanessa USD $6.34 Buy It Now 2h 20m
A MESSAGE FROM THE METERS: THE COMPLETE JOSIE, REPRISE & WARNER BROS. SINGLES 19 USD $57.50 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Love, Peace & Happiness 45 Love is Stronger Far Than We/Message to the 70s Soul USD $3.75 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Q BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE Touchin' On Something 12" VINYL 4 Track (Asw6226) UK USD $8.25 Buy It Now 2h 46m
LOVE HAPPY Message Of Love 12" VINYL 4 Track K Klassik Mix (Mcst40052) European USD $3.04 Buy It Now 2h 46m
BARRY WHITE Follow That And See 12" VINYL 3 Track Extended Promo B/W Message USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
BARRY WHITE Follow That And See 12" VINYL 3 Track Extended B/W Message Mix USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
MARINE BOY Fluid 12" VINYL 4 Track Submariner's Message Mix Double B/w Oxydub USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
FAT LADY SINGS Dronning Maud Land 12" VINYL 3 Track B/w A Message Live USD $6.34 Buy It Now 2h 47m
LOUNGE JAYS Message A Rama 12" VINYL 2 Track B/W Sex Mechanic (Ems002T) Pic USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
TONY PAITON Got A Message 12" VINYL 2 Track B/W D.Mix (Ellt1) UK Ellorac USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
ARTHUR BAKER AND THE BACKBEAT DISCIPLES Message Is Love 12" VINYL 3 Track Cupid USD $6.34 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Jah Message USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Grand Master Flash 12" The Message Shrinked wrapped Vinyl mint . USD $3.80 [0 bids]
Men Without Hats I Got A Message 7" pictured shaped disc STAK14 MINT original pl USD $5.72 Buy It Now 3h 25m
MFSB: Love Is The Message Soul Record lp NM USD $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 28m
HOWLING WOLF MESSAGE TO THE YOUNG ORIGINAL VG+ STEREO USD $7.50 [3 bids]
The Message of Fatima-THE ROSARY-Bill Lundigan-BETTY LYNN (10' 33 rpm) PLUS CD-R USD $26.98 Buy It Now 3h 33m
CHI COLTRANE Message LP VINYL 9 Track With Inner In Envelope Sleeve Design USD $6.34 Buy It Now 3h 34m
EDDY GRANT Message Man LP VINYL 8 Track Sticker Tear On The Front Cover USD $6.34 Buy It Now 3h 34m
CHILDRENS DAY A Message To Pretty LP VINYL 6 Track (Vodk5003) US Vodka USD $6.34 Buy It Now 3h 35m
JOHN MIZAROLLI Message From The 5Th Stone LP VINYL 9 Track Sleeve Has Sticker USD $6.34 Buy It Now 3h 35m
BEE GEES I've Gotta Get A Message To You LP VINYL 12 Track (Cn2028) French USD $6.34 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Steve / Southern Salvation Hess - Carry The Message [CD New] USD $10.93 Buy It Now 3h 44m
ZED (SCOTTISH) Message LP VINYL 6 Track (Xy001) UK Xy USD $37.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Maynard Ferguson-A Message From Newport-Roulette 52012-PROMO USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
BOA-MESSAGE/CALL MY NAME-JAPAN CD+DVD D73 USD $18.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
PRETENDERS Message Of Love 7" VINYL B/W Porcelain (Are15) Pic Sleeve UK Real USD $2.66 Buy It Now 3h 54m
DUOTANG Message 7" VINYL 3 Track (Mrs022) Pic Sleeve US Mint USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
WORLD PARTY Message In The Box 7" VINYL B/W Nature Girl (Eny631) Pic Sleeve UK USD $2.66 Buy It Now 3h 55m
STING Russians 7" VINYL B/w Gabriel's Message (am292) Pic Sleeve UK A USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
LOUISE GOFFIN Send A Message 7" VINYL B/W B Side Myself Over You (Yz159) USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
ADAM FAITH A Message To Martha 7" VINYL B/W It Sounds Good To Me (R5201) UK USD $5.34 Buy It Now 3h 55m
LOVE INC FEATURING MC NOISE Love Is The Message 7" VINYL (Evol1) Pic Sleeve UK USD $2.67 Buy It Now 3h 55m
LUCY SHOW New Message 7" VINYL B/W Sun And Moon (Zb41603) Pic Sleeve UK Big Time USD $5.33 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Inspirational Power Mix, Music /with a positive message, Power Music 2002 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
ELECTRONIC Get The Message 7" VINYL B/W Free Will (Fac287/7) Pic Sleeve UK USD $5.33 Buy It Now 3h 59m
NILS LOFGREN Message 7" VINYL Flexi Disc Part 1 B/W Part 2 (Towfx73) UK USD $6.34 Buy It Now 3h 59m
PRETENDERS Message Of Love 7" VINYL (452064) Pic Sleeve Spanish Real USD $3.99 Buy It Now 4h
MELLE MEL AND DUKE BOOTEE Message Ii 7" VINYL B/W Instrumental (Sh119) UK Sugar USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h
WILLIE LOVE Musical Message Island Funk Reggae RECORD LP VG+ USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h
CONSOLIDATED Message To The People 12" VINYL 3 Track 12" Mix Promo (L338930) US USD $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 4m
INXS Shining Star 12" VINYL 4 Track Gatefold B/W Send A Message Live, Faith In USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 4m
LUCY SHOW New Message 12" VINYL 4 Track Promo B/W Invitation, Sun And Moon USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 4m
WORLD PARTY Message In The Box 12" VINYL 4 Track B/w You're All Invited To The USD $5.33 Buy It Now 4h 4m
ASWAD Message 12" VINYL 2 Track Full Length Version B/W Set Them Free Extended USD $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
ARTHUR BAKER AND THE BACKBEAT DISCIPLES Message Is Love 12" VINYL 5 Track Cupid USD $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
J C HODGE Give My Husband A Message 12" VINYL 2 Track B/W Selfish Lover But Has USD $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
COMMUNARDS You Are My World 12" VINYL 3 Track New York 87 Remix B/W Message USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 5m
7" RARE VINYL - THE POLICE - MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - PIC SLVE - AMS7474 1979 USD $4.45 Buy It Now 4h 5m
TONY PAITON Got A Message 12" VINYL 2 Track Hand Written White Label Test USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 5m
WORLD PARTY Message In The Box 12" VINYL 4 Track Promo B/w You're All Invited USD $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
STARBOW Intersidereal Message 12" VINYL 2 Track Promo B/W Voyager Ii USD $17.97 Buy It Now 4h 9m
JMO Jack Is The Message 12" VINYL 3 Track White Label/Test Press With USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 9m
SAMANTHA JANUS A Message To Your Heart 12" VINYL 3 Track Extended Mix B/W 7" USD $12.63 Buy It Now 4h 9m
FAT LADY SINGS Dronning Maud Land 12" VINYL 3 Track B/W A Message Live USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 9m
G.O.S.H. Wishing Well 12" VINYL 3 Track Featuring Message Mix And Wishing Well USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 9m
ENVOY Solitary Mission EP 12" VINYL 4 Track Featuring Prologue Envoy Message USD $5.33 Buy It Now 4h 10m
1201 LLOYD HEMMINGS-THE HEALER HAS COME-MESSAGE MESSAGE-REGGAE 45 7" USD $14.00 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Lionel & Leslie - Message By Angel [CD New] USD $12.42 Buy It Now 4h 14m
MESSAGE S/T CD 8 Track (Pl569) European Progressive Line USD $13.97 Buy It Now 4h 14m
RARE NRBQ "Message For The Mess Age" ADVANCE PROMO CD USD $3.41 Buy It Now 4h 14m
GINTAS K Message In A Bottle CD 14 Track In Fold-Out Card Sleeve European Rq USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 15m
PHAROAH SANDERS Message From Home CD 6 Track (5295782) European Verve USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 15m
MPO Shine On CD 3 Track Promo B/W Message And Feel Free (Trap1033) European USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 15m
TOMMY BANKHEAD - MESSAGE TO ST LOUIS CD New Sealed Fedora Saint USD $10.16 Buy It Now 4h 16m
NICKY THOMAS Message From Maria 7" VINYL B/w I'll Be Waiting But Has Small USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 35m
O'JAYS Message In Our Music 7" VINYL B/w She's Only A Woman (zs83601) US USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 35m
POLICE Message In A Bottle 7" VINYL B/W Landlord (Ams7474) Pic Sleeve UK A USD $6.34 Buy It Now 4h 35m
7/2/81PGN24 ADVERT: THE PRETENDERS SINGLE MESSAGE OF LOVE 15X11 USD $13.98 Buy It Now 4h 38m
THE BEE GEES. I'VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU. 1968. EX CONDITION. USD $2.53 [0 bids]
ASWAD Set Them Free 7" VINYL B/W The Message (Is383) Radio Station Ticker On USD $2.66 Buy It Now 5h 3m
PRETENDERS Message Of Love 7" VINYL B/W Porcelain But Has Small Writing On USD $6.34 Buy It Now 5h 3m

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"