MESSAGE

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

The Art of BlakeyThe Art of Blakey
Evidence 1995
RYUHEI THE MAN-NEXT MESSAGE FROM THE MAN 5-JAPAN CD E50 US $24.99 Buy It Now 36m 19s
POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE 7" VINYL SINGLE US $6.62 Buy It Now 41m 44s
ENCOURAGE YOURSELF: THE MUSIC, THE MINISTRY, THE MESSAGE - NEW CD US $7.96 Buy It Now 48m 10s
RAMSEY LEWIS * WADE IN THE WATER * Tobacco Road... Message to Michael ... US $2.99 [0 bids]
49m 25s
Stitchie Serious Message CD NEW (UK Import) US $14.08 Buy It Now 50m
PRETENDERS EXTENDED PLAY LP MESSAGE OF LOVE, TALK OF THE TOWN PROMO SHRINK NM- US $12.75 [0 bids]
55m 51s
JAPAN/MESSAGE IN JAPANESE BY David Sylvian JP FLEX DISC US $32.00 Buy It Now 59m 24s
Split Enz-message to My Girl (VG++) US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
DJ Tom - The Message (Remixes) - Zentimental #327647 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Soul Funk BLUE MAGIC Message From The Magic NM! EB301 US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
We Shape Space - The Message - Bosting 106 - 1994 #3047 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Pretenders Message Of Love Holland Picture Sleeve 7'' Single 45rpm US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Andrae Crouch & Disciples Take the Message EVERYWHERE LP LIGHT LS-5504 NM- Vinyl US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Cymande -the message US $26.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Roykey Wydh - Secret Message [CD New] US $17.98 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Jazz Couriers feat Tubby Hayes "Message From Britain" Jazzland mono Rare Jazz LP US $9.99 [1 bids]
O'JAYS - MESSAGE IN OUR MUSIC 7" VINYL US $9.10 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Message #9 by Gasaraki (CD, 1999, Victor Entertainment/Japan, Digipak). US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
THE METERS - MESSAGE FROM THE METERS - NEW CD BOXSET US $10.97 Buy It Now 2h 9m
GRANDMASTER FLASH & FURIOUS FIVE The Message 1982 og lp Sugarhill old school rap US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 25m
1988 Club Nouveau Listen to the Message Warner Bros 33 LP Record B030 US $5.59 Buy It Now 2h 30m
NATALIA MOGILEVSKAYA MESSAGE RARE UKR ORIGINAL SLIPCASE CD BRAND NEW SEALED US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
THE O'JAYS LP-MESSAGE IN THE MUSIC/PHILLY INT'L REC VG+ US $6.98 Buy It Now 2h 31m
THE O'JAYS - MESSAGE IN OUR MUSIC/TRAVELIN' AT THE SPEED OF THOUGHT/ - NEW CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 2h 33m
911 Moving On Taiwan w/box CD+Promo 6 Postcard+bonus Message To The Fans Rare US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
HANK MOBLEY-MOBLEY'S 2ND MESSAGE-JAPAN SHM-CD D73 US $21.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
BEE GEES I've Gotta Get A Message To You CONTOUR vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $14.91 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE INVISIBLE ARILINES RADIO EDITS U.S.PROMO DJ CD CS279 ## US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE - JENNIFER 3-VERSION U.S.PROMO DJ CD CS279 ## US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
T Factory - Message In A Bottle - Inferno - 2002 #74593 US $4.96 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Break Dance Electric Boogie/The Message - 1999 #36147 US $4.96 Buy It Now 3h 5m
A Message Through Your Teeth - Killing Moon - CD rock US $2.50 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Art Blakey Quartet "A Jazz Message" McCoy Tyner Sonny Stitt Art Davis US $8.50 [0 bids]
Bop in Britain, Vol. 2: Gettin' the Message by Various Artists (CD, Jun-2003,... US $19.74 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Howlin' Wolf - Message To The Young [CD New] US $11.69 Buy It Now 3h 31m
PAT McGLYNN direct message from pat to you JAPAN 7" Flexi Disc US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
AUGUSTUS PABLO - MESSAGE MUSIC '86-94 2 LPS DIGITAL?? US $21.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Message in the Music: the Ashley Beedle Re-edits - Message In The Music: The Ash US $33.96 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Q-Burns Abstract Message - Feng Shui (CD 1999)24HR POST US $4.93 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Everly Brothers - Take A Message To Mary 7" London Tri US $10.76 Buy It Now 3h 56m
BOP IN BRITAIN 2: GETTIN THE MESSAGE / VARIOUS NEW CD US $27.70 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Message from Bud - Carsten Dahl New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $37.70 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Listen to the Message - Club Nouveau (Cassette 1988, Warner Bros.) NEW in Shrink US $9.74 Buy It Now 4h 12m
HEAR IT GIRL GROUP SURF The Interpreters Gemini 100 I Get The Message US $14.99 [0 bids]
Kool & The Gang - Music Is The Message NEW LP 12" vinyl US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 21m
HEAR ELVIS PRESLEY RELATED SONG POEM Geno Khan Arrow 002 Message From Heaven US $8.00 [0 bids]
TIM ROSE I've Gotta Get A Message To You / Jamie Sue CAPITOL RECORD 45 Promo US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 32m
PRETENDERS - MESSAGE OF LOVE 7" VINYL PS US $6.62 Buy It Now 4h 34m
MFSB love is the message 1974 PHILLY SOUL Quadraphonic ((LISTEN)) US $10.95 Buy It Now 4h 41m
THE MITCHELL RUFF TRIO after this message LP Mint- Atlantic 1458 Mono 1966 USA US $24.00 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Direct Message Take the Right Road Christian Music CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
MOR-082 HARRISON, TOM Message OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Religious US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
HOWLIN WOLF - MESSAGE TO THE YOUNG (REISSUE) NEW CD US $20.44 Buy It Now 4h 55m
BTR-6036 LUCY SHOW New Message / (same) OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Augustus Pablo - Pablo Armageddon 7" Message mp3 US $4.98 [0 bids]
The Bee Gees 45 "I've Gotta Get A Message To You" US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Message From The Godfather, Taylor, James, Good US $2.94 Buy It Now 5h 17m
BEE GEES - I've Gotta Get A Message To You - Rare 1977 UK 12-track LP US $48.08 Buy It Now 5h 23m
4HIM The Message CD Daphne ALABAMA Peter Wolf Christian ORIGINAL BENSON Signed US $3.99 [0 bids]
Message In A Bottle: Original Motion Picture Score (1999 Film), Yared, Gabriel, US $15.39 Buy It Now 5h 38m
The Police - Message In A Bottle [7"] [Includes poster] US $50.00 Buy It Now 5h 56m
The Bee Gees 45 "I've Gotta Get A Message To You" ~ ATCO US $3.99 Buy It Now 6h
SECRET MESSAGE: COMMUNICATIONS FROM HYPER DEMENSIO NEW CD US $29.23 Buy It Now 6h 3m
PRETENDERS Extended Play mini LP Message of Love LIVE US $10.47 Buy It Now 6h 5m
EX NELSON EDDY Because/My Message COLUMBIA 45 / 571-6 Baritone US $9.90 Buy It Now 6h 25m
Record Album LP: BLUE MAGIC - MESSAGE FROM THE MAGIC US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 31m
THE POLICE GREATEST HITS *** CD *** roxanne message in a bottle US $11.01 Buy It Now 6h 31m
(AL895) Nat Jenkins, The Message - DJ CD US $4.96 Buy It Now 6h 33m
(CP611) Death Masks, Left A Message / Stares - 2012 DJ CD US $4.96 Buy It Now 6h 49m
Message 1998 Fine Line Rare AOR / Melodic Rock CD Escape Music U.K. US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Everly Brothers 45 'Take A Message To Mary/Poor Jenny" US $4.49 Buy It Now 7h 16m
(EJ407) Samuel, The Message - 2010 sealed CD US $11.77 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Message from Walton Street by MJT + 3 (CD, Jun-2000 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Message / Lessons JAPAN+4 Prophet Bon Jovi E US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
OSCAR TONEY JR.: Everything I Own / Message To Martha 45 Soul US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Ray Charles A Message from the People vinyl LP EX 1972 US $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 37m
JOSH ADAMS pop psych THE MESSAGE HEAR SMASH Angelica listen mp3 US $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 50m
(EB577) Syntax, Message - 2003 DJ CD US $4.96 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Howlin Wolf - Message To The Young NEW CD US $17.20 Buy It Now 7h 51m
The Message is the Media (CD) by Orlando Menthol US $5.51 Buy It Now 7h 54m
ASWAD Distant Thunder NM!!! ORIG U.S. PRESS MANGO The Message, Don't Turn Around US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 25m
Message from Beat Street: The Best of Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 28m
GENE LOVES JEZEBEL DESIRE/Message UK 7" 45 Beggars BEG 173 US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 28m
Various Artists : Subliminal: Get the Message 1 CD (1998) US $5.18 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Eddie Griffin : Message in the Hat CD (1993) US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Behrenwald, Michelle Welcome Home-a Special Message for Vietn CD US $8.52 Buy It Now 8h 33m
LUCKY PIERRE - BLANK FOR YOUR OWN MESSAGE - N/M 12" AMBIENT CHILL OUT - LTD EDIT US $8.28 Buy It Now 8h 37m
SPLIT ENZ 3xCASSETTE TAPES Greatest Hits FRENZY True Colors Message To My Girl US $6.66 Buy It Now 8h 39m
AUGUSTUS PABLO - MESSAGE MUSIC: DIGITAL PRODUCTIONS 1986-94 NEW VINYL US $35.42 Buy It Now 8h 52m
(BT847) Roddy Hart, Send A Message - DJ CD US $4.56 Buy It Now 8h 57m
The Cure Cd, Message From Jupiter, Live 96 US $25.00 Buy It Now 9h 3m
Jazz LP JuJu "A Message From Mozambique" Strata-East SES 19735 US $27.66 [5 bids]
STING-RUSSIANS/GABRIEL'S MESSAGE-A & M AM 292-UK 45- RECORD VG/PS VG US $2.99 Buy It Now 9h 15m
A Jackson in Your House/Message to Our Folks by The Art Ensemble of Chicago... US $10.99 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Message OF Hope Sung By Stoltzfus Family Grayson NC Album # 4 RCA Recording US $2.97 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Jimi Hendrix Message Of Love cd US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 23m
TSOP The sound of Philadelphia - Love is the Message MFSB 4Z8 3711 US $2.97 Buy It Now 9h 24m
Message to the Young [Reissue] [Remastered] [Digipak] by Howlin' Wolf (CD,... US $8.76 Buy It Now 9h 27m
Split Enz - Message To My Girl - 1983 A&M Promo AM 2652 45 rpm US $4.91 Buy It Now 9h 28m
Augustus Pablo - Message Music [Vinyl New] US $23.56 Buy It Now 9h 30m

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Send comments to Progbear (BETA) | Report this review (#45681) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Send comments to Melomaniac (BETA) | Report this review (#71356) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Review by historian9
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Jazz Rock/Fusion Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Send comments to historian9 (BETA) | Report this review (#658769) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"