Message

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Dawn Anew Is ComingDawn Anew Is Coming
Imports 2007
From Books & DreamsFrom Books & Dreams
Citystudio Media Production
T-Factory - Message in a Bottle (3 trk CD / Listen) USD $4.07 Buy It Now 35m 50s
ADAM FAITH - A MESSAGE TO MARTHA - PARLOPHONE 1964 USD $2.71 [0 bids]
39m 55s
THE WORLD WIDE MESSAGE TRIBE We Don't Get What We Deserve CD Album USD $4.11 Buy It Now 50m 1s
M.O.J.I. - Message of Japanese Identity - Japan CD NEW USD $15.99 Buy It Now 55m 1s
MFSB-The Best Of Mfsb: Love Is The Message CD NEW USD $14.34 Buy It Now 1h 12m
ELECTRONIC-GET THE MESSAGE [FACTORY 7") USD $2.73 Buy It Now 1h 18m
I've Gotta Get A Message To You LP Bee Gees - 1978 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Club Nouveau Listen to the Message Vinyl LP Sealed must see USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
ARTHUR BAKER & BACKBEAT DISCIPLES Love is the Message USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 20m
ARTHUR BAKER AND THE BLACKBEAT DISCIPLES The Message Is Love 7" Vinyl USD $1.36 Buy It Now 2h 20m
ARTHUR BAKER The Message is Love 12" Sound Clip in Listing USD $5.79 Buy It Now 2h 20m
BEE GEES I've Gotta Get a Message to You 7" vinyl USD $3.47 Buy It Now 2h 20m
CHACKA DEMUS / MARVELOUS Message of Joy 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing USD $6.95 Buy It Now 2h 21m
BETTER DAYS Love is the Message 12" Sound Clip in Listing USD $6.95 Buy It Now 2h 21m
MFSB-The Best Of Mfsb: Love Is The Message CD NEW USD $14.34 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Chet Huntley A Personal Message to You (sponsored by Penzoil) 33 RPM USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
MFG - MESSAGE FROM GOD - Japan CD - NEW USD $48.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
ELECTRONIC Get The Message 7" vinyl USD $3.47 Buy It Now 2h 33m
DANCE FLOOR VIRUS Message in a Bottle 12" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing USD $5.79 Buy It Now 2h 33m
ELECTRONIC Get The Message 7" Vinyl USD $3.47 Buy It Now 2h 33m
FIGHTSTAR I Am The Message CD USD $4.63 Buy It Now 2h 34m
w-inds. - W-inds. - 1st message - Japan CD J-POP A USD $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Police message in a bottle star shape picture disc record USD $5.99 [0 bids]
T-FACTORY Message in a Bottle 12" USD $5.79 Buy It Now 2h 38m
SXLP 30022 Delibes Source/Messager Pigeons Mackerras LP USD $13.90 Buy It Now 2h 38m
T FACTORY Message in a Bottle 12" white label Sound Clip in Listing USD $5.79 Buy It Now 2h 39m
THE POLICE Message In A Bottle 7" Vinyl USD $3.47 Buy It Now 2h 39m
THE POLICE " MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE " 7" SINGLE 1979 VG USD $3.39 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Arthur Baker & The Backbeat Disciples 7" Vinyl Single 'The Message Is Love' 1989 USD $4.07 [0 bids]
Un Message Pour Toi, Josephine Baker, 0636943263020 USD $9.27 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Message - Art Of Blakey [CD New] USD $10.81 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Sandie Shaw 7" vinyl single record Message Understood - Solid UK 7N.15940 PYE USD $12.20 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Message In A Bottle - Blue Vinyl Police UK 7" vinyl single record AMPP6001/I USD $17.65 Buy It Now 3h 9m
PRETENDERS Message of Love UK 7" 45 USD $3.47 Buy It Now 3h 9m
PRETENDERS Message Of Love 7" Vinyl USD $1.36 Buy It Now 3h 9m
PRETENDERS Message of Love 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing USD $3.47 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE Shame 12" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing USD $9.27 Buy It Now 3h 10m
PRETENDERS Message of Love UK 7" 45 USD $3.47 Buy It Now 3h 10m
RETRO PROJECT The Message 12" white label USD $6.95 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings [Box] by The Police (CD, Sep-1993,... USD $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 14m
THE MESSAGE~SUN SAND AND SEA~PT. 1~AND 2~RARE~DYN-O- MITE ~SOUL~ LATIN 45 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Francoise Hardy - Message Personnel JAPAN LP with LYRIC SHEET USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
BELBURY POLY/SPACEDOG - Study Series 10: Message & Method - Vinyl (7") USD $10.64 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE Invisible Airline (CD 2001) EXC Downtempo*IDM*Trip-Hop USD $13.60 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Howlin' Wolf - Message to the Young - Japan CD OBI USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Ju Ju - 1973 LP A Message from Mozambique RARE WHITE PROMO Jazz Strata-East USD $199.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
EMMANUEL "UNIVERSAL MESSAGE" LP 1987 emotional sealed USD $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 7m
CURTIS AMY BLUES MESSAGE PACIFIC JAPAN USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
MESSAGE Fine Line 1998 JAPAN CD OBI OOP AOR PROPHET Aldo Nova Paul Dean LOVERBOY USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 38m
MESSAGE Outside Looking In 2000 JAPAN CD OBI OOP AOR PROPHET HEARTLAND SHADOWMAN USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
SOUL MESSAGE BY HOLMES,RICHARD (CD) USD $22.77 Buy It Now 4h 39m
GEORGE CLAYTON JOHNSON-MESSAGE FROM THE TWILIGHT ZONE USD $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 55m
KENNY ROGERS country 33 promo ep A PERSONAL MESSAGE (with music) ~ VG++ USD $9.75 Buy It Now 5h 3m
The Message by 4Him (CD, Aug-1997, Verity) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 14m
ADAM FAITH A MESSAGE TO MARTHA 45 PARLOPHONE 1964 USD $0.68 [1 bids]
JUDIE TZUKE Portfolio A Message From Radio City 1988 UK CD issue USD $14.25 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Paul Winter - Message from the Earth Japan cd Consort Oregon Paul Halley RARE USD $25.90 Buy It Now 5h 37m
SPLIT ENZ - MESSAGE TO MY GIRL ( COOL DUTCH A&M 7"PS) 1983 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Message In A Bottle: Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture Gabriel Yared USD $6.21 Buy It Now 6h 8m
The Pretenders - Message Of Love 7" single (vg+) (Real Records - 1981) USD $4.07 [0 bids]
Jimi Hendrix Signed Buddy Miles Signed Lp A Message To People PROOF Fillmore USD $195.00 Buy It Now 6h 16m
System- Chasing Dreams / Hidden Message 12" W/LBL USD $2.73 Buy It Now 6h 25m
The Police-Message in a Bottle (PS fold out poster) Promo Copy Mint- USD $25.00 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Message from Hambro - Lenny Hambro New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $14.92 Buy It Now 6h 49m
BIG BLACK: Message To Our Ancestors LP (drill hole) Soul USD $30.00 Buy It Now 6h 54m
EVERLY BROTHERS,Take A Message To Mary / Poor Jenny 45rpm USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
PETERIS VASKS MESSAGE CD ALBUM EXC Cor Anglais USD $10.89 Buy It Now 6h 57m
ATSUMI KURASAWA/MESSAGE w/OBI JPN L12565 USD $18.00 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Linda Chatterton - Gabriels Message-Christmas Carols For Flute & Harp [CD New] USD $17.32 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Revived - Worship Music CD by The World Wide Message tribe - UK version WWMT USD $2.71 [0 bids]
Private Message by USD $10.53 Buy It Now 7h 42m
THE POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOX- 4 CD Collectible Pack- Free US Ship USD $40.99 Buy It Now 7h 43m
Funky Bunch, The - Message 12" W/Lbl USD $2.73 Buy It Now 7h 53m
PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT'S WAR MESSAGE TO CONGRESS 1941..RARE 78! USD $9.99 [1 bids]
Linda Chatterton-Gabriel`s Message: Christmas Carols for Flute & Harp CD NEW USD $17.33 Buy It Now 8h
POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE STING 1979 RARE ITALIAN 7"PS USD $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 10m
MERRELL FANKHAUSER Message to the universe LP ROCK PSYCH USD $23.15 Buy It Now 8h 37m
THE O'JAYS message in the music US ORIGINAL WLP PROMO LP soul funk NM- USD $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
Art Blakey Quartet LP A Jazz Message USD $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 42m
The Police-Wrapped Around Your Finger plus Message in bottle live + Free UK post USD $10.89 Buy It Now 8h 53m
Sh82/15/9p38 GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE : THE MESSAGE SONGWORDS POSTER USD $8.18 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Police Cover Band - Message In A Bottle 12" W/Lbl USD $5.45 Buy It Now 9h 3m
BRIAN WILSON What I Christmas w/MESSAGE #16612 UK CD BEACH BOYS SEALED USA Sellr USD $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 4m
POSITIVE SOUND MESSAGE ~ THINK ABOUT IT RANDOM RAP / MODERN SOUL 12" SEALED  USD $49.77 Buy It Now 9h 5m
NEW No Message (Vinyl) USD $26.94 Buy It Now 9h 18m
VIC TWENTY CD SINGLE TXT MSG MUTE RECORDS TEXT MESSAGE 20 MEGA RARE USD $13.63 Buy It Now 9h 49m
MFSB - TSOP / LIVE IS THE MESSAGE 7" OLD GOLD VINYL USD $10.21 Buy It Now 9h 50m
Our Message To The People (For The Children) - Roots Of Rock 'N (Used Very Good) USD $8.10 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Best Of Mfsb: Love Is The Message - Mfsb (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.57 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Andre Messager Veronique Mady Mesple Michel Dens French 2-LP NM Vinyl Hartemann USD $10.95 Buy It Now 10h 13m
New Decade Blind Vision 4 Track EP Get The Message Remix 1993 OLDSKOOL HARDCORE USD $14.29 Buy It Now 10h 18m
Messager La Basoche Liliane Berton Nicole Broissin LP NM Henri Legay Michel Dens USD $19.95 Buy It Now 10h 20m
As One 'The Message In Herbie's Shirts' double LP - Clear ?CLR417 -1996 USD $10.90 Buy It Now 10h 38m
Christmas Message by Various Artists (CD, Oct-1990, Lection Records) USD $3.97 Buy It Now 10h 40m
THE EVERLY BROTHERS "TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY" 45 RPM USD $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 43m
THE POLICE - MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE 1979 UK 7" GREEN VINYL EX/EX USD $6.80 [0 bids]
Message Is Music Audio CD USD $30.55 Buy It Now 11h 20m
Carry the Message Audio CD USD $13.57 Buy It Now 11h 32m
Message In A Bottle: Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture, Various Arti USD $5.21 Buy It Now 11h 33m
Gabriel's Message - One Thousand Years of Carols Various Artists Audio CD USD $10.03 Buy It Now 11h 45m
CD dawn anew is coming
~ USD $14.96
LP from books and dreams
~ USD $22.69
More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"