MESSAGE

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Dawn Anew Is ComingDawn Anew Is Coming
Imports 2007
STING "RUSSIANS / GABRIEL'S MESSAGE" 45 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Nicholas Walker Quartet - Message in a Bateau CD FREE USA SHIP USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Q Burns Abstract Message - Oeuvre (1998) - Used - Compact Disc USD $1.37 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Richard Groove Holmes Soul Message Jazz Funk Vinyl Record USD $7.00 Buy It Now 3h 7m
THE LOCAL ART - Message - Japan CD - NEW J-POP USD $11.39 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Art Ensemble Of Chicago - A Jackson In Your House / Message To Our (NEW 2 x CD) USD $17.59 Buy It Now 4h 34m
The Bee Gees - "I've Gotta Get A Message To You" 7" (1968) EX / "Kitty Can" USD $2.86 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Worldwide Message Tribe - Heatseeker (1998) - Used - Compact Disc USD $1.37 Buy It Now 5h 37m
OSMONDS OSMOND BROTHERS / MESSAGE TO JAPANESE FAN RARE 6inch FLEXI DISC USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
THE PRETENDERS " MESSAGE OF LOVE " " EX+ COND.IN Or.PIC SL. USD $1.42 Buy It Now 6h 17m
DONNA DOUGLAS " THE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE" Or.UK PICCADILLY EX+ COND.IN Or. SLEEVE USD $1.85 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Enzso - Message To My Girl 3 Track CD Single USD $5.62 Buy It Now 6h 50m
As One / Kirk Degiorgio ?- The Message In Herbie's Shirts : Clear 2xLP IDM USD $2.86 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Francis Durbridge - Tim Frazer Gets The Message (2CD AUDIOBOOK) 24HR POST!! USD $11.48 Buy It Now 7h 26m
I gotta get a message to you - The Bee Gees - 7 inch single USD $1.72 [0 bids]
JOHN GROUP TCHICAI - TIMO'S MESSAGE NEW CD USD $27.79 Buy It Now 8h 6m
MESSAGER / WIDOR / CHAUSSON / HARTIG / MORIARTY - CLARINET BRILLIANTE 2 NEW CD USD $23.61 Buy It Now 8h 7m
HOWARD JONES A Personal Christmas And New Years Message 7" Japan promo red flexi USD $22.98 Buy It Now 8h 7m
THE POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE AMS7474 A-7U USD $2.16 Buy It Now 8h 11m
CD MESSAGER LANCHBURY LES DEUX PIGEONS LISZT LAMBERT DANTE SONATA ROYAL BALLET USD $11.48 Buy It Now 8h 18m
ELECTRONIC GET THE MESSAGE USD $2.87 Buy It Now 8h 22m
MEN WITHOUT HATS I Got The Message 12" UK includes Special Extended Remix USD $14.36 Buy It Now 8h 32m
MESSAGER / THOMPSON / OHIO LIGHT OPERA - VERONIQUE NEW CD USD $42.27 Buy It Now 8h 37m
GIEL - GIEL: THE MESSAGE BEHIND THE MUSIC NEW CD USD $22.14 Buy It Now 8h 38m
MEN WITHOUT HATS I Got The Message 7" UK includes Utter Space in picture sleeve USD $7.17 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Abstract - The Message - F*ck Willie Brown - 12 Inch V USD $4.30 Buy It Now 9h 2m
The Everly Brothers 45 POOR JENNY / TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY ~ VG+ USD $2.60 Buy It Now 9h 27m
Q-burns Abstract Message - Hes A Skull - 12 Inch Vinyl USD $8.61 Buy It Now 9h 29m
NRBQ .. MESSAGE FOR THE MESS AGE!! NR!!!!! USD $0.98 [0 bids]
SANDIE SHAW - MESSAGE UNDERSTOOD - 7" VINYL 1965 PYE USD $4.87 Buy It Now 10h 9m
Ordinary People - The Message Feat Amigo - 12 Inch Vin USD $21.55 Buy It Now 10h 15m
7" The Pretenders message of love USD $1.42 [0 bids]
ASD 2700381:Lanchberry/BSO:Messager:Two Pigeons '84 EMI German DMM USD $8.61 Buy It Now 10h 40m
Stunt Nuts - The Message - 12 Inch Vinyl - Listen USD $7.17 Buy It Now 11h 8m
Dj Morph - Message - 12 Inch Vinyl - Listen USD $28.73 Buy It Now 11h 10m
The Police: Message in a Bottle Orig 1979 7" US POSTER SLEEVE USD $11.48 Buy It Now 11h 34m
MAC, Marc - Message From Soulville - CD USD $10.06 Buy It Now 11h 37m
New Decade - Get The Message - 12 Inch Vinyl - Listen USD $21.55 Buy It Now 11h 37m
Andrae Crouch & Disciples "Take The Message Everywhere" Gospel Soul LP Light USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Jmo - Jack Is The Message - 12 Inch Vinyl - Listen USD $15.80 Buy It Now 11h 40m
MESSAGE OF THE SEA:CELTIC MUSIC FOR G BY RUSSELL,DAVID (CD) USD $22.16 Buy It Now 11h 47m
The Ojays -Message In Our Music -Great 70s record / Mint condition USD $4.31 Buy It Now 11h 48m
MOJOBONE - CROSSROAD MESSAGE & TALES FROM THE BONE NEW CD USD $24.16 Buy It Now 11h 51m
78 rpm 12" MESSAGER les deux pigeons ballet C 3779 USD $21.56 Buy It Now 11h 53m
MESSAGE FROM BIRDLAND BY FERGUSON,MAYNARD (CD) USD $18.25 Buy It Now 11h 54m
GRANDMASTER MELLE MEL & THE FURIOUS FIVE * Step Off / The Message * 12" Vinyl USD $4.30 [0 bids]
SXLP 30022:Mackerras:Delibes:La Source/Messager:Les Deux Pigeons USD $11.48 Buy It Now 12h 10m
THE MESSAGE DUBWISE..LP VERY RARE O.G U.K FAB USD $43.11 [2 bids]
SHANGO SHANGO MESSAGE 12" + PS MATERIAL AFRIKA BAMBAATA USD $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 12m
Django Reinhardt - Le Dernier Message De Django Reinhardt 10" RARE USD $43.12 Buy It Now 12h 14m
Mjt & 3 - Message From Walton Street [CD New] USD $9.41 Buy It Now 12h 17m
Feng Shui by Q-Burns Abstract Message USD $0.99 Buy It Now 12h 21m
Personal Message From Lorrie Morgan 2008 Promo CD USD $4.79 Buy It Now 12h 25m
FRANCOISE HARDY**MESSAGE PERSONNEL**2 CD SET USD $18.50 Buy It Now 12h 26m
Grandmaster Flash Stiff Little Fingers Message 7" Vinyl RSD NEW Side By Side USD $9.49 Buy It Now 12h 30m
MFSB - "Love Is The Message" Quadraphonic LP Philadelphia ZQ 32707 VG/NM USD $39.98 Buy It Now 12h 33m
Black Stalin Message To Sundar Cassette *SEALED* Leroy Calliste USD $4.49 Buy It Now 12h 57m
WORLD WIDE MESSAGE TRIBE * THE REAL THING & SWEET SALVATION * 45 RPM USD $8.00 Buy It Now 13h 5m
Nrbq - Message For The Mess Age [CD New] USD $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 15m
THE PRETENDERS " MESSAGE OF LOVE " 7" SINGLE EX/EX PIC SLEEVE 1981 USD $5.74 Buy It Now 13h 15m
Rare 7" Flexi Disc Cliff Richard-Cliff Richard`s Personal Message To You (1960s) USD $8.61 [0 bids]
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message - 1 USD $11.48 Buy It Now 13h 20m
NEW - Message From Meters by Meters USD $3.98 Buy It Now 13h 26m
Men With A Message Back To The Bible Gospel LP Album USD $4.50 Buy It Now 13h 28m
ARTHUR BAKER featuring AL GREEN - LOVE IS THE MESSAGE - VINYL 45' RECORD USD $5.75 Buy It Now 13h 30m
RARE Modern 45 Garage Punk Surf Untamed Youth Message To The World USD $7.19 Buy It Now 13h 32m
JOHN CHARLES THOMAS My Message/Nocturne 78 BRUNWICK 10258 USD $18.67 Buy It Now 13h 32m
Nrbq - Message For The Mess Age [CD New] USD $2.77 Buy It Now 13h 47m
ROOTS REGGAE WITH A UIIVERSAL MESSAGE-CULTURE/INNER CIRCLE/SIZZLA/LUCIANO... CD USD $3.98 Buy It Now 13h 51m
MFSB Love Is The Message PHILDELPHIA INTERNATIONAL RECORDS Promo USD $8.25 Buy It Now 13h 53m
Message In Blood - Next of kin Skin Oi! hool isd USD $2.00 Buy It Now 13h 56m
Love Happy - Message Of Love - 12 Inch Vinyl - Listen USD $7.17 Buy It Now 14h
George & Joan Davis "Standing On The Promises" Black Gospel LP Advent Message USD $4.99 [0 bids]
MAYNARD FERGUSON - MESSAGE FROM BIRDLAND - ROULETTE LP USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Split Enz-message to My Girl (VG++) USD $7.00 Buy It Now 14h 6m
NEW - Message by 4 Him USD $0.99 Buy It Now 14h 16m
Unknown - Message In A Brothel - 12 Inch Vinyl - Liste USD $11.48 Buy It Now 14h 23m
ADAM FAITH ~ A MESSAGE TO MARTHA ~ 1964 ~ PARLOPHONE ~ U.K. 45 USD $2.14 [0 bids]
Beige - The Rhythm The Message - 12 Inch Vinyl - Liste USD $5.74 Buy It Now 14h 42m
Tricky-Maxinquaye LP US Promo 1995 Gatefold 314-524 089-1 VG+ Message for 50 USD $50.00 Buy It Now 14h 43m
Howard Lemon Singers "Message For Today" Black Gospel LP Gospel Truth USD $4.99 [1 bids]
Public Enemy Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age USA Cassette Tape USD $10.39 Buy It Now 14h 55m
Tangled Universe Message From The Universe 12" Vinyl Single USD $10.06 Buy It Now 14h 56m
THE EVERLY BROTHERS - "BYE BYE LOVE"/"TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY" - 45 RPM BRAND NEW USD $8.00 Buy It Now 14h 57m
NEW - Message Uni Versa by G&D USD $0.99 Buy It Now 14h 58m
THE POLICE - Message In A Bottle - 1979 UK limited edition 2-track 7" single USD $10.33 Buy It Now 15h
NEW/SEALED Get the Message by The Get-Outs (CD, 2004) USD $6.50 Buy It Now 15h 5m
T Factory - Message In A Bottle - 12 Inch Vinyl - List USD $5.74 Buy It Now 15h 22m
SWITCHES Message from Yuz 10" + BADGES INDIE USD $5.02 Buy It Now 15h 26m
ADAM FAITH - MESSAGE TO MARTHA - PARLOPHONE R5201 - EX+ TOP COPY! USD $5.68 Buy It Now 15h 29m
Meters, The-A Message From The Meters / Zony Mash 7" 45-Josie Records, 45-1024, USD $14.30 Buy It Now 15h 30m
Adam Faith-A Message To Martha 7" 45-Parlophone, R 5201, 1964, Plain Sleeve USD $8.55 Buy It Now 15h 30m
I-Kon-Got A Message 12"-TP, TPA002, 1995, 2 Mix USD $8.55 Buy It Now 15h 31m
Ordinary People - The Message Feat Amigo - 12 Inch Vin USD $28.73 Buy It Now 15h 31m
I-Kon-Got A Message (TPA 004) 12"-TP, TPA004, 1999, 2 Mix USD $8.55 Buy It Now 15h 31m
Electronic-Get The Message 12"-Factory, Fac 287, 1991, Picture Sleeve 2 Track USD $8.55 Buy It Now 15h 31m
Men Without Hats-I Got The Message 7" 45-Statik Records, MV 011008, 1982, Portug USD $7.12 Buy It Now 15h 32m
Bee Gees-I've Gotta Get A Message To You LP-Contour, CN 2028, 1978, 12 Track USD $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 32m
Q Burns Abstract Message-Innocent 12"-NRK, NRK074, Company Sleeve BRITT / JOHNSO USD $8.55 Buy It Now 15h 32m
49ers - The Message - 12 Inch Vinyl - Listen USD $5.74 Buy It Now 15h 33m

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"