Message

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

DUOTANG Message 7" 3 Track Pic Sleeve US Mint 1996 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 33m 13s
DOT ALLISON Message Personnel 7" B/w Arab Strap Remix Pic Sleeve UK Heavenly 19 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 33m 20s
ELECTRONIC Get The Message 7" B/w Free Will Pic Sleeve UK ISSUE PRESSED IN FRAN USD $8.19 Buy It Now 33m 34s
EPIDEMICS Keep It Up 7" B/w I Got Your Message Split Seam To Tour Pic Sleeve GE USD $8.19 Buy It Now 34m 7s
EYDIE GORME Everybody Go Home 7" No Centre B/w The Message UK Cbs 1963 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 34m 27s
FREDDY FENDER Livin It Down 7" Promo B/w Take Her A Message I'm Lonely UK Abc 1 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 34m 50s
G.O.S.H. Wishing Well 7" B/w Wishing Well Message. Great Ormond Street Charity R USD $8.19 Buy It Now 35m 4s
JAMES CARR Life Turned Her That Way 7" B/w A Message To Young Lovers Deletion H USD $16.40 Buy It Now 43m 31s
LOVE INC FEATURING MC NOISE Love Is The Message 7" Pic Sleeve UK Polydor 1991 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 44m 5s
JOHNNY JOHNSON ORCHESTRA Saturday Night 7" B/w A Message From Brian Matthew Pic USD $8.19 Buy It Now 44m 29s
Message - Browders (2009, CD New) USD $11.99 Buy It Now 45m 6s
MELLE MEL AND DUKE BOOTEE Message Ii 7" B/w Instrumental Pic Sleeve GERMAN Suga USD $8.19 Buy It Now 45m 9s
MELLE MEL AND DUKE BOOTEE Message Ii 7" B/w Instrumental UK Sugar Hill 1982 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 45m 13s
LOUISE GOFFIN Send A Message 7" B/w B Side Myself Over You Promoter Stickered P USD $8.19 Buy It Now 45m 42s
LOUISE GOFFIN Send A Message 7" B/w B Side Myself Over You UK Wea 1987 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 45m 46s
MFSB Love Is The Message 7" B/w My One And Only Love UK Philadelphia 1973 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 46m 20s
45RPM The Police Landlord/ Message in a Bottle Virgin A&M 2190-S 0909E USD $14.69 Buy It Now 46m 32s
45RPM INXS Mechanical/. I Send A Message Atco 7-99731 0909E USD $14.69 Buy It Now 46m 34s
MEN WITHOUT HATS I Got The Message 7" B/w Utter Space Pic Sleeve But Has Dj Sta USD $8.19 Buy It Now 46m 44s
MORGAN KHAN FEATURING JEFFREY GUISHARD World Was A Ghetto 7" Message Mix B/w Aci USD $8.19 Buy It Now 46m 47s
MYSTERE FIVE'S Shake Some Action 7" B/w No Message Writing On Back Of Pic Sleev USD $8.19 Buy It Now 48m 10s
LUCY SHOW New Message 7" Promo B/w Sun And Moon UK Big Time 1987 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 49m 8s
Electronic Get The Message 12" Factory 1991 USD $14.05 Buy It Now 51m 47s
"MESSAGE OF LOVE"...LOVE HAPPY...12" SINGLE...NEAR MINT...FAST SHIPPING USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
J.R. MONTEROSE THE MESSAGE * AUDIOPHILE XANADU CLASSIC RECORDS CD NOT 24K GOLD * USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
NICKY THOMAS Message From Maria 7" B/w I'll Be Waiting But Has Small Sticker Mar USD $14.76 Buy It Now 1h 13m
ORANGE WORLD Fun Noise And Message 7" 5 Track Orange Vinyl SWISS Strongly Oppos USD $18.76 Buy It Now 1h 13m
NOEL THE WAYSIDER Christmas Message 7" B/w Sing Along Pic Sleeve UK Sand Dollar USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 13m
POLICE Message In A Bottle 7" Limited Poster Sleeve B/w Landlord Live US A USD $14.76 Buy It Now 1h 13m
O'JAYS Message In Our Music 7" B/w She's Only A Woman Pic Sleeve DUTCH Philadel USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 15m
O'JAYS Message In Our Music 7" B/w She's Only A Woman US Philadelphia Internati USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 15m
NILS LOFGREN Message 7" Flexi Disc Part 1 B/w Part 2 UK Towerbell 1986 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 15m
EDDY GRANT -CAN'T GET ENOUGH / MESSAGE MAN - TWO ALBUMS CASSETTE TAPE USD $4.69 Buy It Now 1h 15m
PRETENDERS Message Of Love 7" B/w Porcelain Sticker Stain On Pic Sleeve SWEDISH USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 16m
PRETENDERS Message Of Love 7" B/w Porcelain But Has Small Writing On Label AUSS USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 17m
STING Russians 7" B/w Gabriel's Message Pic Sleeve UK A&m 1985 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 17m
SANDIE SHAW Message Understood 7" Solid Centre Label Design B/w Don't You Count USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 17m
WORLD PARTY Message In The Box 7" Numbered Box With Poster And Badge Pic Sleeve USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Rock 45 The Everly Brothers - Take A Message To Mary / Poor Jenny On Cadence USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Soul Survivor Live 2000: The Message Live From Manchester USD $3.74 Buy It Now 1h 19m
SOHO Message From My Baby 7" B/w Be My Love Pic Sleeve UK Hedd 1989 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 19m
POLICE Message In A Bottle 7" B/w Landlord Pic Sleeve UK A&m 1979 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 21m
THE PRETENDERS " MESSAGE OF LOVE " 7" SINGLE PIC SLEEVE 1981 EX/EX USD $3.89 Buy It Now 1h 21m
O'JAYS Message In Our Music 7" Four Prong Label Design B/w She's Only A Woman U USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 23m
WOODENTOPS It Will Come 7" With Message To Mike Read From Promoter On Compliment USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 23m
WORLD PARTY Message In The Box 7" B/w Nature Girl Pic Sleeve UK Chrysalis 1990 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 25m
WILLY JIVE Message Is Clear 7" B/w Schizo Kid UK Cheapskate 1982 USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 27m
WORLD PARTY Message In The Box 7" Un-numbered Box With Poster + Badge Pic Sleev USD $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 27m
EVERLY BROTHERS- TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY VINYL 7" 45RPM p USD $1.55 Buy It Now 1h 31m
POLICE, MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - 12" SINGLE SP-17122 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 33m
NEW Blue Magic: Message from the Magic [4/22] (CD, 2014, Funky Town Grooves) USD $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Dolphin Has A Message - Bud Freeman (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.05 Buy It Now 1h 53m
BENNY GOLSON FEATURING CURTIS FULLER-CALIFORNIA MESSAGE-ORIGINAL STEREO LP USD $9.99 [0 bids]
THE POLICE "MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE" JAPAN IMPORT FROM 1979 AMP-1052 USD $14.85 Buy It Now 2h 12m
RAY BARRETTO sealed The Message NY Salsa 1972 Fania LP vocals Adalberto Santiago USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Professa & DJ Supreme - Message From Me 2 U USD $16.00 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Rare first press heavy metal CD:Journey-The essential(message love,separate ways USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Redbone 3LP LOT Wovoka Message from A Drum Come And Get Your Best USD $7.00 [0 bids]
Ann Margret 12" PROMO Record Midnight Message DISCO NM- USD $26.25 Buy It Now 2h 48m
JOURNEY Message Of Love/When You Love A Woman 45 RPM Columbia USD $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 54m
SAMANTHA JANUS A Message To Your Heart Ex+ Hollywood 1991 P/S 7" USD $6.19 Buy It Now 2h 56m
LOVE HAPPY MESSAGE OF LOVE 12" VINYL HOUSE USD $10.15 Buy It Now 2h 59m
4 cd SET THE POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOX COMPLETE RECORDING WITH COLOR PHOTO BOOK USD $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
1992 Nikolaj Steen The Message 12" 72787-25013-1 NM Vinyl In Shrink Tested USD $3.90 Buy It Now 3h 28m
GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS 5 The Message LP Sugarhill Records with DL Card USD $27.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
The Message 4Him MUSIC CD USD $7.54 Buy It Now 4h 15m
PRETENDERS Extended Play ep LP Message of Love Talk of the Town Chrissie Hynde USD $7.46 Buy It Now 4h 20m
THE EVERLY BROTHERS - 1958 - TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY - ORIG.UK.SINGLE - EX-COND. USD $7.80 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Position / The Message / 1997 Near Mint CD Alex Lonabaugh Jack Kocher John Stout USD $12.93 Buy It Now 4h 41m
MFSB: Love Is The Message KZ32707 Philadelphia Records Vinyl Record LP R26 USD $4.49 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Messager:fortunio - De Lyon Opera New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $26.98 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Message In A Bottle - Various Artists (CD Used Very Good) CD-R USD $12.88 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Remy Shand Take A Message CD Single Universal MOTR20621-2 2001 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings [Box] by The Police (CD, Sep-1993, 4 D USD $10.00 [0 bids]
USD $35.00 Buy It Now
Bee Gees RARE Lebanese 45 I've gotta Get A Message 2 U Barry Robin Moris Gibb USD $23.37 [0 bids]
Browders - Message [CD New] USD $16.46 Buy It Now 5h 48m
FIRE - MESSAGE/IF YOU'RE ALONE TONIGHT EXTRA RARE YUGO PROG PSYCH 7"PS 1977 USD $99.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
(CS560) Death Masks, Left A Message / Stares - 2012 DJ CD USD $4.67 Buy It Now 5h 59m
O'JAY'S LP Message In The Music 1976 PZ 34245 Stereo FREE SHIP Paradise Joyful USD $6.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Gressier / Messager: Veronique (1953) / Monsieur Beaucaire (1952) / Les p'tite.. USD $44.54 Buy It Now 6h 8m
MESSAGE FROM ART BLAKEY HOLIDAY FOR SKINS VOL.2 BLUE NOTE 1ST PRESS EX BLP 4005 USD $28.00 [5 bids]
SPREADING A MESSAGE // THE SENSATIONAL WILLIAMS BROTHERS 1976 NASHBORO LP 7161 USD $12.50 Buy It Now 6h 35m
ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO MESSAGE TO OUR FOLKS BYG FRENCH LP ACTUEL 28 USD $29.00 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Robert Ellis Orrall 45 I Couldn't Say No / The Message record 7" vinyl USD $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 10m
5 CD SUBLIMINAL HYPNOSIS MESSAGES MESSAGING NLP PROGRAMMING BRAINWAVE MEDITATION USD $40.00 Buy It Now 7h 10m
GUIDED MEDITATION CD FOR SUBLIMINAL MESSAGING, BRAIN WAVES, SUBCONSCIOUS PEACE USD $4.21 Buy It Now 7h 14m
V.A. / Love Is My Message 25 3P-342 OBI LP Ay8512 USD $2.99 [1 bids]
JAPAN/MESSAGE IN JAPANESE BY David Sylvian JP FLEX DISC USD $34.00 Buy It Now 7h 38m
45: 1968 Bee Gees I've Gotta Get A Message To You 2:59 Mono Single Mix TESTED USD $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Message From A Drum - Redbone (CD Used Very Good) USD $16.51 Buy It Now 7h 48m
Message For The Mess Age - Nrbq (CD Used Very Good) USD $3.88 Buy It Now 7h 50m
RECORDS - 45s!! EVERLY BROTHERS - Take Message to Mary Cadence 1364 1959 VG+ USD $4.95 Buy It Now 7h 52m
FILTERFUNK S.O.S. Message in a Bottle 12" THE POLICE Tiger12 USD $4.74 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Howlin Wolf (Message to the Young) LP CH-50002 NM Chess in "Shrink" Rare 1971 USD $12.99 [0 bids]
Message-From Books and Dreams German prog psych cd USD $18.99 Buy It Now 8h 15m
Grandmaster Flash/Melle Mel/Furious Five Message From Beat Street/Best TAPE New USD $50.00 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Open Carefully Message Inside - Doyle & Quic Lawson New & Sealed Compact Disc Fr USD $20.79 Buy It Now 8h 30m
PUBLIC ENEMY CD 1994 MUSE SICK-N-HOUR MESS AGE with Sticker USD $9.19 Buy It Now 8h 37m
Howlin' Wolf Message To The Young Vinyl LP Record USD $14.97 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Lenny Hambro Message from Hambro Columbia 757 promo white label jazz lp USD $29.99 [0 bids]
CD dawn anew is coming
~ USD $14.52
CD from books and dreams
~ USD $14.52

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"