MESSAGE

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
The Art of BlakeyThe Art of Blakey
Evidence 1995
Eddie Griffin- The Message - Press Kit US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Message in a Bottle [Original Soundtrack] by Origina... US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Electronic(7" Vinyl P/S)Get The Message-Factory-FAC 287-UK-VG/Ex US $9.39 Buy It Now 1h 55m
The Pretenders(7" Vinyl P/S)Message Of Love-Wea-ARE 15-UK-VG/VG US $7.82 Buy It Now 1h 55m
RAY CHARLES, 1972, "A MESSAGE FROM THE PEOPLE" US $7.82 [0 bids]
MIGHTY RYEDERS - Help Us Spread The Message: Special Edition (reissue) - LP US $33.08 Buy It Now 2h 9m
DJ KRUSH Message At The Depth Numbered Coloured 2x 180gm Vinyl LP NEW US $40.68 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Ronnie Fuller & The Fuller Experience Message from America CD US $5.52 Buy It Now 2h 19m
PRETENDERS Message Of Love 7" Vinyl US $1.57 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Thomas Edison/NY Mil. Band, Let Us Not Forget A Message To The American People US $75.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
BEE GEES I've Got A Message For You b/w Kitty Can 45 RPM US $4.99 [0 bids]
Morning Musume '14: Chapter 14 - The Message (2014) Japan / CD & PHOTO TAIWAN US $24.28 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Bryant,Paul - Blues Message (2 Lps On 1 Cd) (CD New) US $21.17 Buy It Now 2h 41m
THE HAMMERSMITH GORILLAS - MESSAGE TO THE WORLD 78 UK PUNK CATALYSTS SLD CD +3xt US $20.95 Buy It Now 2h 43m
The Pretenders - Message Of Love/Porcelain- Single (1981) US $1.57 [0 bids]
Special Disco mix, Love is the message/Hollywood party LP#OW-4002-B (VG) US $23.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Donna Douglas(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)The Message In A Bottle / If This Is Lov-Ex/NM US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 19m
TIM ROSE - I'VE GOT TO GET A MESSAGE TO YOU - GREAT COVER VERSION - 7" IN VG CON US $1.55 [0 bids]
MY NAME'S DIVINE: BE COOL KID (Message to a young drug dealer) w Orig Co Sleeve US $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
DEAR Heartful Message [8 TRACKS] JAPAN CD IMPORT 1992 US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
ARTHUR BAKER The Message is Love 12" Sound Clip in Listing US $7.84 Buy It Now 3h 41m
ARTHUR BAKER & BACKBEAT DISCIPLES Love is the Message US $5.41 Buy It Now 3h 41m
BETTER DAYS Love is the Message 12" Sound Clip in Listing US $9.41 Buy It Now 3h 41m
CHACKA DEMUS / MARVELOUS Message of Joy 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $9.41 Buy It Now 3h 42m
MY BRILLIANT CAREER "MESSAGE OF LOVE" RARE 1984 INDIE PRIVATE PRESS 12", SIGNED! US $12.21 Buy It Now 3h 42m
DANCE FLOOR VIRUS Message in a Bottle 12" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $7.84 Buy It Now 3h 42m
PRETENDERS Message of Love 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $3.84 Buy It Now 3h 47m
PRETENDERS Message of Love UK 7" 45 US $3.84 Buy It Now 3h 47m
PRETENDERS Message of Love UK 7" 45 US $3.84 Buy It Now 3h 47m
POLICE Message in a Bottle 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $3.84 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE Shame 12" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $12.54 Buy It Now 3h 47m
RETRO PROJECT The Message 12" white label US $9.41 Buy It Now 3h 47m
FIGHTSTAR I Am The Message CD US $6.27 Buy It Now 3h 47m
SXLP 30022 Delibes Source/Messager Pigeons Mackerras LP US $18.81 Buy It Now 3h 48m
T-FACTORY Message in a Bottle 12" US $7.84 Buy It Now 3h 48m
T FACTORY Message in a Bottle 12" white label Sound Clip in Listing US $7.84 Buy It Now 3h 48m
WORLD PARTY Message in the Box 7" 45 Sound Clip in Listing US $7.84 Buy It Now 3h 49m
THE POLICE Message In A Bottle 7" Vinyl US $3.84 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Andrea Begley - The Message - 3747682 US $10.96 Buy It Now 4h
The Blues Message * by Paul Bryant (CD, Dec-2010, Fresh Sound (Spain)) US $19.72 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Hank Mobley - Mobley's 2nd Message (Mono) [2014 LP] (200 Gram Audiophile Vinyl) US $34.20 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five-The Message lp US $7.82 [1 bids]
DJ ROGERS THE MESSAGE IS STILL THE SAME LP US $12.53 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Audio plastic Ltd UK Harry Taylor Studio Girl Hollywood A personal message ... US $12.53 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Bud Freeman - Dolphin Has A Message [CD New] US $9.13 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Paul Bryant - Blues Message (2 Lps On 1 Cd) [CD New] US $20.68 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Lawuandia - My Message [CD New] US $13.88 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Kirwani - Message Of The Birds [CD New] US $11.09 Buy It Now 4h 44m
THE PRETENDERS " MESSAGE OF LOVE " 7" SINGLE PIC SLEEVE 1981 VG/VG+ US $3.12 Buy It Now 4h 49m
JACOB MILLER " LOVE IS A MESSAGE " ROCKSTEADY LISTEN! US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE SPECIALS featuring RICO A MESSAGE TO YOU RUDY / NITE KLUB ~ 2 TONE COSTELLO US $3.12 [1 bids]
5h
The BEE GEES I've Gotta Get A Message To You 1974 compilation LP US $7.06 Buy It Now 5h 13m
INXS CANADIAN 1987 PROMO 7" Single I Send A Message US $5.47 Buy It Now 5h 22m
INXS USA 1984 PROMO 7" Single I Send A Message US $3.90 Buy It Now 5h 22m
MESSAGE TO THE WORLD - NEW CD US $14.63 Buy It Now 5h 28m
ALTERNATIVE/ Childrens Day - A Message To Pretty (EP) US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 45m
Art Ensemble of Chiciago A JACKSON IN YOUR HOUSE;MESSAGE TO OUR FOLKS 2cd NEW US $19.00 Buy It Now 5h 49m
LEILA BEN SEDIRA ? MESSAGER & OFFENBACH chanson de fortunio ULTRAPHONE 10" 78rpm US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 54m
SYNTH POP/ Men Without Hats - I Got The Message (WL Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
GERMAN History Michael Jackson FIRST PRESS CD, Message MJ, UNC. Lim.Edt. +++++++ US $19.90 Buy It Now 6h
BENNY GOLSON CALIFORNIA MESSAGE BAYSTATE RJL-8013 Japanese Pressing OBI Vinyl LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
6h
Art Ensemble of Chicago A JACKSON IN YOUR HYOUSE; MESSAGE TO OUR FOLKS cd NEW US $14.00 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Andr‚ Messager: V‚ronique (CD, Feb-2002, 2 Discs, EMI Music Distribution) US $14.02 Buy It Now 6h 11m
THE EVERLY BROTHERS 45 Take a Message to Mary CADENCE Soul VG++ #B663 US $13.00 Buy It Now 6h 11m
BLUES ROCK/ Redbone - Message From A Drum (LP) US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Kryfa Minimata 1967-1974 Hidden Message Greek LP Marinella Xylouris Mitropanos US $38.98 [0 bids]
Message E134430 Audio CD US $3.82 Buy It Now 6h 23m
Decoding the Message by Daniel Schnyder (CD, Aug-1993, Enja (USA)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 25m
STARBOW: Intersidereal Message 12 (WLP) rare Soul US $40.00 Buy It Now 6h 26m
melissa etheridge- message to myself import maxi cd US $9.74 Buy It Now 6h 33m
GRANDMASTER MELLE MEL - STEP OFF / THE MESSAGE SUGARHILL ORIG 12" US $1.55 [0 bids]
YELLOWMAN CD MESSAGE TO THE WORLD US $4.99 [0 bids]
7 Seconds 7-Seconds The Music The Message Lp The Crew Rare US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE ARTISTIC SOUNDS gospel funk LP SAVOY "Message to a Nation" orig '77 shrink US $24.95 [0 bids]
The Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger Japan LP NM Message in a Bottle "Live" US $14.99 [0 bids]
The Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger EP Record NM Message in a Bottle "Live" US $10.99 [0 bids]
Black Stalin Message to Sundar 780563514021 Caribbean & Cuba World CD US $7.99 [0 bids]
Vasks: Message (CD, Feb-1995, Conifer) US $1.99 [0 bids]
DONNA DOUGLAS THE MESSAGE IN THE BOTTLE / IF THIS IS LOVE 35031 US $10.97 Buy It Now 7h 14m
RUDY A MESSAGE TO YOU / TIL DEATH US DO PART - Dandy / Dandy & His Group JB 273 US $13.34 [7 bids]
7" THE SPECIALS feat. RICO-Message To You Rudy-CHS TT5-2 Tone-Two Tone US $4.70 [1 bids]
The Message at the Depth by DJ Krush (CD, Feb-2003, Red Ink Records (USA)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
The Specials - Message to you - CHSTT15 - Paper Sleeve - Orig 1980 - Silver Lbl US $6.27 [0 bids]
7" THE SPECIALS feat. RICO-Message To You Rudy-CHS TT5-2 Tone-Two Tone US $11.76 [5 bids]
Geno Khan - Message From Heaven/Instrumental Theme, Arrow AR-002, 45 RPM Record US $1.99 Buy It Now 7h 30m
CLUB NOUVEAU Listen To the Message LP record US $0.76 [0 bids]
Amit Shoham - Universal Message EP Tarantic House NM US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 38m
HOLLYWOOD hollywood's message 12" VG+ RR 160 Vinyl 1984 Record US $60.00 Buy It Now 7h 50m
THE O'JAYS - MESSAGE IN OUR MUSIC - GAMBLE HUFF - PHILLY DISCO -LOFT- MANCUSO 7" US $3.90 [0 bids]
PRINCE FAR I The Message CRY TUFF 7" MINT US $15.66 [0 bids]
AUGUSTUS PABLO Golden Seal MESSAGE 7" MINT REPRESS US $10.96 [0 bids]
QUEEN ELIZABETH II - CHRISTMAS DAY MESSAGE 1953 - 10" HMV 78RPM DA2056 US $19.99 [7 bids]
8h
Mind Control Series/Adventist/Health Message/Mrs. White US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 5m
INXS RARE 12" Promo EP 1984 - I Send A Message US $39.20 Buy It Now 8h 7m
Norman Luboff "A Musical Christmas Message" Vinyl LP Record US $9.95 [0 bids]
ILLINOIS JACQUET Jazz Groove THE MESSAGE Kenny Burrell SAX Guitar Cadet LP Vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 37m
THE SOLDIERS - MESSAGE TO YOU (17 TRACK CD + DVD) US $1.55 [0 bids]
Orig.Webber Sisters Message Disco Style LP Dub/Roots US $2.66 [0 bids]
Club Nouveau Life Love & pain, Listen To The Message, Under A Nouveau Groove LPs US $22.99 Buy It Now 8h 51m
AL GREEN**AND THE MESSAGE IS LOVE**CD US $12.80 Buy It Now 8h 52m

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Send comments to Progbear (BETA) | Report this review (#45681) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Send comments to Melomaniac (BETA) | Report this review (#71356) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Send comments to historian9 (BETA) | Report this review (#658769) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"