Message

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

Vous Avez Un Message - Dub Plate Records - 2007 #219319 USD $4.53 Buy It Now 27m 27s
Lovebase - Message - Lbase1 - 1995 #143198 USD $4.53 Buy It Now 27m 38s
Message In The Music - Digital Funk 1 - 2006 #176585 USD $4.53 Buy It Now 27m 43s
DJ KRUSH " THE MESSAGE OF THE DEPTH " *** CLEAR VINYL *** NUMBERED 180 GRAM USD $30.31 Buy It Now 1h 18m
INXS - I SEND A MESSAGE USD $3.91 [3 bids]
Electronic Get The Message (PS) 7" Vinyl Single USD $9.10 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Club Nouveau - Listen To The Message LP USD $10.60 Buy It Now 1h 31m
ORIG UK SONG BORD LABEL, SB-1028, 1970" MESSAGE FROM A BLACKMAN" DERRICK HARRIOT USD $15.15 [1 bids]
Cymande - The Message (2 CD Castle Music compilation CMEDD1106) USD $15.17 [2 bids]
Mfsb - Best Of-Love Is The Message CD SBME SPECIAL PRODUCTS USD $10.29 Buy It Now 2h 17m
The Message [1997] by 4Him (Cassette, Aug-1997, Verity) USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Lenny Hambro: Message From Hambro NEW CD USD $9.98 Buy It Now 2h 59m
BEE GEES~To Love Somebody bw I've Gotta Get A Message To You ATLANTIC OS 13083 USD $3.95 Buy It Now 3h 33m
THE CHARMERS:JUST MY IMAGINATION/I'VE GOT TO GET A MESSAGE TO YOU:SUPREME G+ USD $21.22 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Messager Ballet d'Isoline Francois Ruhlmann Pathe 78rpm x2 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 4h
OSMOND BROTHERS & Jimmy MESSAGE FLEXI JAPAN s0081 USD $16.00 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Gospel Soul/Funk vinyl LP THE SONS OF TRUTH - A Message From The Ghetto MINT! USD $48.88 Buy It Now 4h 12m
David Russell // Message Of The Sea - Celtic Music For Guitar / Surround Sound USD $9.50 [0 bids]
USD $12.35 Buy It Now
MESSENGER 1978 BRINGIN' THE MESSAGE Japan CD OBI rare AOR SOUL Rick Riso SEALED USD $52.20 Buy It Now 4h 26m
MFSB - Love Is The Message / TSOP - 12" Disco Single USD $9.98 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Filterfunk - S.O.S (Message In A Bottle) UK 7 Trk Promo Cd Ultra Rare The Police USD $12.12 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Maynard Ferguson-A Message From Birdland-Zawinul-1958 LP ROULETTE BIRDLAND-VG+ USD $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
LITTLE OSCAR I TRIED / THE MESSAGE SUPREME BLUES RECORDS 1022 NORTHERN SOUL FUNK USD $45.48 Buy It Now 4h 47m
PAUL BRYANT & CURTIS AMY "The Blues Message" vintage '60 Pacific Jazz LP USD $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
PUNK - THE POLICE - MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - GREEN VINYL - PICTURE COVER USD $4.08 [0 bids]
THE POLICE - MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE 7" VINYL USD $6.05 Buy It Now 5h 14m
The Whatnauts: Message From A Black Man: A Golden Classics Edition NEW CD USD $11.97 Buy It Now 5h 25m
LE PAPE PAUL VI A L'ONU Le Message de Paix LP Pope Paul VI French Roman Catholic USD $15.95 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Electronic- Get The Message 12" & 7" Vinyl USD $9.08 [0 bids]
THE KING'S SONS QUARTET 2 cd Timeless Message,Timely Sound/On Golden Street NICE USD $15.30 Buy It Now 5h 51m
BRASS CONSTRUCTION (Message, The) United Artists XW957 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings [Box] by The Police (CD, Sep-1993,... USD $12.33 [0 bids]
USD $28.76 Buy It Now
LP - GERMANY PRESS- THE MOVE (MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY)-1971- HARVEST 062 04 785 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 6h
Art Ensemble Of Chicago A Jackson In Your House Message To Your Folks cd Jazz USD $10.62 Buy It Now 6h 25m
Curtis Amy & Paul Bryant 33 jukebox stereo ep BLUES MESSAGE / SEARCHIN'~ VG-toVG USD $2.87 Buy It Now 6h 44m
Sting 45 w/ps Russians / Gabriels Message ~ VG++ USD $3.28 Buy It Now 6h 47m
EYEHATEGOD Preaching The End Time Message CD New Orleans sludgecore outlaw order USD $15.98 Buy It Now 6h 59m
DJ ADLIB - SPREAD THE MESSAGE (FT. M.E.D.) VINYL SINGLE NEW+ USD $13.06 Buy It Now 7h 14m
GRANDMASTER FLASH / STIFF LITTLE FINGERS - THE MESSAGE - 7" - RSD 2015 USD $9.99 [1 bids]
MISIA Love Is The Message 2001 CD BMG JAPAN Import w OBI USD $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Universal Message, Chapter 1 by Various Artists (CD, Sep-1999, VP) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m
HLA 8863 The Everly Brothers - Take A Message To Mary / Poor Jenny - 1958 USD $10.62 [0 bids]
EVERY LITTLE THING - 14 MESSAGE: EVERY BEST SONGS, VOL. 2 - NEW CD USD $19.51 Buy It Now 7h 34m
ELECTRONIC GET THE MESSAGE USD $3.03 Buy It Now 7h 39m
JACOB MILLER -LOVE IS A MESSAGE /SOUND DIMENSION -PART 2 -ROCKSTEADY 45 7" USD $17.00 Buy It Now 8h
GR3YMAN & VALERYE BOYBENDER - The Message - IDM 12" NEW - Rematter / Low Res USD $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 2m
J R Monterose "The Message" New Mint Sealed LP USD $9.95 [0 bids]
Inca Babies - Death Message Blues [CD New] USD $11.01 Buy It Now 8h 9m
The Police Every Breath You Take CD NEW SEALED Message In A Bottle/Roxanne+ USD $7.57 Buy It Now 8h 15m
SONS OF TRUTH-MESSAGE FROM THE GHETTO CD NEW USD $11.33 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Various Artists-The Message CD NEW USD $17.16 Buy It Now 8h 17m
DAVID RUSSELL - MESSAGE OF THE SEA: CELTIC MUSIC FOR GUITAR NEW CD USD $19.36 Buy It Now 8h 28m
Augustus Pablo / Original rockers Good sound 1982 message reissue USD $34.00 Buy It Now 8h 33m
David Russell - Message Of The Sea [CD New] USD $12.30 Buy It Now 8h 34m
Grandmaster Flash - USA 12" / Message II Sugarhill 119 / Funk Soul Hip Hop Rap USD $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
SHAKA ALL STARS - Message From Africa (LP) SHAKA MUSIC (UK) - Roots! RARE REGGAE USD $28.00 Buy It Now 8h 42m
THE WORLD WIDE MESSAGE TRIBE The Real Thing-5 trk Promo CD-Journey Mixes+Stompy+ USD $3.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.87 Buy It Now
LET'S KEEP MESSAGE BENT JAEDIG AXEN mini lp CD Danish Jazz RARE 1960 EU DK Debut USD $24.99 [0 bids]
USD $39.99 Buy It Now
Richard Groove Holmes Soul Message LP Vinyl RI NEW USD $18.99 Buy It Now 8h 46m
Feng Shui Q-Burns Abstract Message MUSIC CD USD $7.54 Buy It Now 8h 49m
Sting Russians, Gabriel's Message + 1 live German 12" USD $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 50m
Subliminal Message CD: Increase your mind abilities USD $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 54m
7" vinyl UK single - Adam Faith - 'Message To Martha' USD $0.23 [0 bids]
Journey When You Love a Woman Message of Love Factory Sealed CD USD $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 6m
GRANDMASTER MELLE MEL - STEP OFF / THE MESSAGE SUGARHILL ORIG 12" USD $1.50 [0 bids]
Buddy Miles - A Message To The People LP - Mercury VG++ USD $6.00 [1 bids]
Artistic Sounds "Message To A Nation" Gospel Funk LP Savoy USD $7.99 [1 bids]
Samantha Janus A Message To Your Heart Enrovision Eastenders 7" Single USD $1.50 [0 bids]
Message from Home by Pharoah Sanders (CD, Mar-1996, Verve) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 29m
Everly Brothers - Take A Message To Mary - 45RPM - 1959 USD $1.99 [0 bids]
Rap Hip Hop Vinyl 12" - Professa & DJ Supreme - Message From Me 2 U - Rare - RA USD $15.95 Buy It Now 9h 36m
BARRY WHITE THE MESSAGE IS LOVE USD $10.99 Buy It Now 9h 38m
Spragga Benz "Jahmeka Mi Island" and "Di Message (Long Story) Riddim" 1999 VP USD $1.99 [0 bids]
BEE GEES I've Got To Get A Message To You 45 Orig. Press Rec. Co. Stamp USD $3.25 Buy It Now 9h 43m
James Taylor Quartet, "Message from the Godfather" (CD, Aug-2001) USD $1.99 [0 bids]
METERS**A MESSAGE FROM THE METERS**CD USD $6.91 Buy It Now 9h 57m
Police - Reggatta De Blanc LP (Message in a Bottle, Deathwish, Contact) VG/VG USD $6.90 Buy It Now 10h 5m
JR MONTEROSE / THE MESSAGE / MEGA RARE US JAZZ JAPAN PRESS VENUS LP USD $29.99 [1 bids]
Funk Breaks 45 KOOL AND THE GANG Music Is The Message Pt. 1&2 De-Lite Rare 7" USD $7.49 [0 bids]
USD $19.99 Buy It Now
Ray Barretto "The Message"w/Adalberto Santiago-Rare Latin/Salsa Fania LP USD $5.99 [1 bids]
Jumping in the House of God World Wide Message Tribe (CD, Jul-1996) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 10h 30m
3 4Him CD's The Message 1996 Basics of Life 1992 Best Ones 1999 4 Him Benson USD $12.97 Buy It Now 10h 36m
MESSAGER / WIDOR / CHAUSSON / HARTIG / MORIARTY - CLARINET BRILLIANTE 2 NEW CD USD $20.00 Buy It Now 10h 38m
the Message featuring ROBERT BANKS and his New Gospel Folk Sound SEALED Verve LP USD $21.00 Buy It Now 10h 40m
MFAG - LOVE IS THE MESSAGE 12" VINYL HOUSE USD $9.84 Buy It Now 10h 44m
** DERRICK HARRIOTT MESSAGE FROM A BLACK MAN HUGE FUNKY REGGAE CLASSIC!! USD $17.80 Buy It Now 10h 44m
Sons Of Truth "A Message From The Ghetto" Gospel Funk LP Gospel Truth Promo USD $9.16 [2 bids]
The Pretenders Message Of Love/Porcelain 7" Picture Sleeve UK Pressing USD $4.97 Buy It Now 10h 49m
BEE GEES LP GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU contour 2870 404 USD $12.89 Buy It Now 10h 51m
JUJU A Message from Mozambique LP NEW VINYL Black Fire Spiritual Drumming USD $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 59m
HUGH MUNDELL - africa must be free by 1983 - MESSAGE VG+/VG++ USD $31.00 [14 bids]
11h
Electro Boogie Rap Vinyl 12" - Mr. Magic - Magic's Message - Posse - POS-1213 USD $29.95 [0 bids]
Hip Hop Vinyl 12" - Professa & DJ Supreme - Message From Me 2 U - SEALED - Rare USD $29.95 [0 bids]
RARE WASP LP CHAINSAW CHARLIE 7 VINYL SINGLE WITH ETCHED MESSAGE FROM BLACKIE USD $3.02 [0 bids]
? RARE 1967 BOSS REGGAE - RUDY A MESSAGE TO YOU - DANDY - SKA BEAT 7" listen ?? USD $30.31 [1 bids]
HUBBARD & ZARFAS MINISTERING IN MESSAGE & MUSIC 2 LP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 17m
CEDARVILLE COLLEGE, MUSIC WITH A MESSAGE 1964 - LP USD $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 17m
THE WHATNAUTS - MESSAGE FROM A BLACK MAN - NEW CD USD $8.96 Buy It Now 11h 20m
HUBBARD & ZARFAS MINISTERING IN MESSAGE & MUSIC 1 LP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 21m
Jessi Colter Take A Message To Laura/Same(MONO Promo) 45 RPM RCA Records USD $7.00 Buy It Now 11h 22m
CD dawn anew is coming
~ USD $14.29
CD from books and dreams
~ USD $14.29
LP the dawn anew is coming
~ USD $20.94

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"