Message

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

Songs From the Message - Way of LoveSongs From the Message - Way of Love
Sony 1997
Askari X Message To The Black Man Cassette Tape 3X Krazy Seagram G Funk Bay Rap USD $0.30 [2 bids]
42m 55s
A Message For You [EP] - Minus Driver (CD 2003) USD $2.49 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Jumping in the House of God by World Wide Message Tribe (CD, Jul-1996, b217 USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
THE MITCHELL RUFF TRIO-AFTER THIS MESSAGE-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B50 USD $12.50 Buy It Now 1h 58m
The Bee Gees I Gotta Get A Message To You 12 Track Vinyl LP USD $12.77 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Club Nouveau - Listen To The Message - Vinyl 33RPM LP Album Record USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE - Future Past Tense (Remixes) Rabbit In The Moon / Mazi USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
BETTER DAYS LOVE IS THE MESSAGE UK 12" 1990 VIRGIN XSTX 1293 FARLEY HOUSE USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Blue Eyed Soul - Strawberry Message 4 - 2003 #117623 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Cern - The Message - Five Am - 2003 #323069 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Love Is The Message (Remixes) - Recall - 1999 #64946 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Alaska Soul - The Message - Hiptonic - 2000 #42271 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Straight Life - The Message - Illsun Wreckords #647381 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Arc Angel - Spikey Message - Hansome Records 7 #409753 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 4h 52m
The Retro Project - The Message - Mostiko #129014 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Orion - Message Of The Ghost - Gamma Ray - 2001 #410661 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 4h 53m
BENNY GOLSON - CALIFORNIA MESSAGE W/ C. FULLER (Orig. JP) (BAYSTATE) LP USD $44.50 Buy It Now 5h
MESSAGER: LES DEUX PIGEONS - BONYNGE - 93 DECCA CD USD $20.00 Buy It Now 5h
Nikolaj Steen - The New Message - Imago - 1992 #139952 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Love Inc - Love Is The Message - Love - 1991 #4413 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 5h 28m
THE BEE GEES,I'VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU,RARE VINYL LP USD $1.53 [0 bids]
Break Dance Electric Boogie/The Message - 1999 #36147 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 6h
The Ballroom - Message In A Bottle - Sony #133685 USD $6.19 Buy It Now 6h
THE POLICE - MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE AMS7474 7" VINYL RECORD EX T1 USD $3.86 Buy It Now 6h 5m
JEAN-PIERRE JACQUILLAT-MESSAGER: LES DEUX PIGEONS-HIGHLIGHTS~ -JAPAN CD D73 USD $18.99 Buy It Now 6h 27m
@ CD J.A.M. - Message In A Bottle RARE DUTCH FEMALE WESTCOAST AOR 2001 LO'KO USD $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
James Carr Life Turned Her That Way / A Message 1968 Promo 45 Goldwax 335 USD $19.80 Buy It Now 6h 33m
BEE GEES - GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU USD $9.29 Buy It Now 6h 36m
SOFIA SHINAS - THE MESSAGE, ORG 1982 USA 5-TRACK vinyl 12", NEW - SEALED! USD $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 40m
The Move - Message From The Country (CD) NEW USD $7.74 Buy It Now 6h 45m
THE MESSAGE -THE HISTORY OF RAP III -1997 NECTAR CD NEW USD $4.64 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Pit Er Pat - 3d Message (2006) - New - Compact Disc USD $5.18 Buy It Now 7h 36m
@ CD King Size - No Message RARE AUSTRIAN MELODIC ROCK / ATS RECORDS1992 ORG USD $39.99 Buy It Now 8h 16m
CLUB NOUVEAU - LISTEN TO THE MESSAGE Warner Brothers 9 25687-1 Sealed USD $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Blue Magic: Message from the Magic [4/22] (CD, 2014, Funky Town Grooves) NEW SS USD $14.90 Buy It Now 8h 49m
SPLIT ENZ_Message To My Girl_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships frm AUS!_C2c USD $9.39 Buy It Now 8h 50m
MICHAEL JACKSON "Working day.." POLICE "Message.." - RARE 7"ITALY PROMO for JB USD $17.99 Buy It Now 8h 55m
FUNK 45 - LITTLE OSCAR I Tried / The Message SUPREME RECORDS ? USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h
KOOL & THE GANG ~ MUSIC IS THE MESSAGE ~ ORIG. FUNK-SOUL LP..VERY STRONG VG+++ USD $25.00 Buy It Now 9h 10m
VARIOUS - Love Is The Message: A Night At The Gallery 1977 (Soundtrack) - CD USD $18.20 Buy It Now 9h 21m
Paul Bishop 45 Message-To-You-Mind / God Is The Greatest ~ VG+ Michigan gospel USD $49.99 [0 bids]
reggae EDDY GRANT Message Man 1978 Coach House LP USD $11.04 Buy It Now 9h 31m
Message In A Bottle: Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture, Various Arti USD $5.48 Buy It Now 9h 38m
Guitar Crusher - Message to Man..New Sealed (1997) USD $9.29 Buy It Now 10h 40m
LOVE HAPPY - MESSAGE OF LOVE - HOUSE CD SINGLE USD $3.08 Buy It Now 10h 40m
Deep Soul/Funk 45 WHATNAUTS Message From A Black Man/Dance To The Music on A USD $7.99 [1 bids]
11h
BIG JAY McNEELY -(45)- I GOT THE MESSAGE / PSYCO SERENADE SWINGIN' - 618- 1959 USD $10.99 Buy It Now 11h
Jesus Jones CD London (2001) Message Nowhere Slow In the Face of All of This USD $6.49 [0 bids]
Cymande "The Message" Funk 45 Janus mp3 USD $8.49 [2 bids]
5/8/72Pgn16 The Faces & Rod Stewart Concert Advert Cancellation Message 15x10 USD $15.49 Buy It Now 11h 13m
Louise Allen 12" single MESSAGE FROM HEAVEN 6.12 Vers. USD $6.98 Buy It Now 11h 38m
CANE & ABLE: Relating A Message To You LP (reissue) Soul USD $14.00 Buy It Now 11h 46m
SS501 Kim Hyun Joong TONIGHT 2013 Taiwan Ltd CD only+MESSAGE CARD USD $16.68 Buy It Now 11h 53m
MFSB - LOVE IS THE MESSAGE 7" VINYL USD $12.39 Buy It Now 11h 55m
The Heraldic Message Star-Scape Singers LP NM+ Vinyl USD $7.00 Buy It Now 12h 4m
Gail Williams "A Message From My Heart" Sweet Soul 45 Rialto mp3 USD $7.99 [1 bids]
Every Little Thing - 14 Message CD *SEALED* OBI USD $13.90 Buy It Now 12h 27m
1983 Tom Harrison Message LP Morada Christian NEW STILL SEALED USD $6.75 Buy It Now 12h 29m
V.A.-THE MESSAGE FROM BRUNSWICK: MIXED BY RYUHEI THE MAN-JAPAN CD E78 USD $22.99 Buy It Now 12h 34m
POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE 7" VINYL SINGLE USD $6.19 Buy It Now 12h 43m
John Tchicai Group - Timo's Message [CD New] USD $22.48 Buy It Now 12h 59m
BLACK GOSPEL - REV MACEO WOODS & CHRISTIAN TABERNACLE ENSEMBLE Message of Hope USD $35.00 Buy It Now 13h
Songs from the Message: Way of Love (CD, May-1997, Word/Epic) USD $1.99 Buy It Now 13h 2m
MFSB: Love Is The Message, Philadelphia Records, Vg++ USD $6.99 Buy It Now 13h 3m
Split Enz-message to My Girl (VG++) USD $16.00 Buy It Now 13h 5m
Soul Funk BLUE MAGIC Message From The Magic NM! EB301 USD $15.99 Buy It Now 13h 10m
AUGUSTUS PABLO - Golden Seal / Myhrr In Dub - Message 7" - ORIG 1979 (DSR8793/4) USD $6.20 [0 bids]
Blue Magic - Message From The Magic - 1977 CD - 1st Time Ever On CD USD $1.53 [0 bids]
BLACK GOSPEL ? MODERN SWEET SOUL - THE HOWARD LEMON SINGERS - Message For Today USD $35.00 Buy It Now 13h 25m
... And The Message Is Love 0731454025522, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H USD $15.36 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Andrae Crouch & Disciples Take the Message EVERYWHERE LP LIGHT LS-5504 NM- Vinyl USD $2.70 Buy It Now 13h 29m
BRIAN KENNEDY 1997 CD Single PUT THE MESSAGE CD1 MINT USD $3.08 Buy It Now 13h 37m
BRIAN KENNEDY 1997 CD Single PUT THE MESSAGE CD2 MINT USD $3.08 Buy It Now 13h 37m
O'JAYS - MESSAGE IN OUR MUSIC 7" VINYL USD $8.51 Buy It Now 13h 45m
The Isle of Wight Festival 1970 - Message to Love - DVD - Britain's Woodstock!!! USD $13.00 Buy It Now 13h 50m
Message #9 by Gasaraki (CD, 1999, Victor Entertainment/Japan, Digipak). USD $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 54m
The O'Jays - "Message In The Music" SOUL LP Philadelphia USD $7.99 [0 bids]
PIERRE DERVAUX**MESSAGER: VERONIQUE**2 CD SET USD $18.29 Buy It Now 14h 31m
THE O'JAYS LP-MESSAGE IN THE MUSIC/PHILLY INT'L REC VG+ USD $6.98 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Grandmaster Flash / Stiff Little Fingers The Message SPLIT 7" VINYL! 2015 RSD USD $35.00 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Little Oscar "The Message" Funk 45 Supreme Blues mp3 USD $7.99 [1 bids]
FIGHTSTAR "I AM THE MESSAGE" VINYL 7" SINGLE PICTURE SLEEVE USD $6.39 Buy It Now 14h 44m
Melle Mel & Duke Bootee ?- Message II (Survival) TEST PRESSING - ELECTRO - HEAR USD $29.99 [0 bids]
BEE GEES I've Gotta Get A Message To You CONTOUR vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $12.45 Buy It Now 14h 55m
Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE INVISIBLE ARILINES RADIO EDITS U.S.PROMO DJ CD CS279 ## USD $9.09 Buy It Now 14h 59m
Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE - JENNIFER 3-VERSION U.S.PROMO DJ CD CS279 ## USD $9.09 Buy It Now 14h 59m
ANDRE MESSAGER "LES DEUX PIGEONS BALLET SUITE/VERONIQUE OVERTURE" WL 5412 12" LP USD $12.58 Buy It Now 15h 3m
Ugly Kid Joe - Message To Sobriety (1995) USD $1.55 [0 bids]
Killing Moon : Message Through Your Teeth Ep CD (2006) USD $4.34 Buy It Now 15h 7m
Bobby Rydell Top Hits LP w/Inset 45 Included Message from Bobby Complete! USD $9.99 [0 bids]
A Message Through Your Teeth - Killing Moon - CD rock USD $2.50 Buy It Now 15h 21m
MFSB, The Best Of MFSB: Love Is The Message Audio CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 28m
MY NAME MESSAGE(+DVD)(TYPE B) CD USD $8.60 Buy It Now 15h 29m
ASH WEDNESDAY MESSAGE POPE PAUL VI 1968 - LP USD $25.00 Buy It Now 15h 37m
PAT McGLYNN direct message from pat to you JAPAN 7" Flexi Disc USD $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 39m
SAMANTHA JANUS A Message To Your Heart Ex+ Hollywood 1991 P/S 7" USD $6.14 Buy It Now 15h 47m
Messager - Fortunio / Alliot-Lugaz . Dran . Cachemaille . Trempont [Box Set] USD $25.56 Buy It Now 15h 48m
The Police . Reggatta De Blanc . 10" Inch Vinyl . "Sting" . Message In A Bottle USD $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 52m
Promo CD . World Wide Message Tribe . Frantik . Acceptable . USD $6.96 Buy It Now 15h 56m
Filterfunk - S.O.S (Message In A Bottle) - 12" Vinyl - Mint Condition USD $4.26 [0 bids]
CD dawn anew is coming
~ USD $14.29
CD from books and dreams
~ USD $14.29
LP the dawn anew is coming
~ USD $20.94

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"