Message

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

MessageMessage
2002
Hank Mobley Quintet 2nd Message LP *SEALED* Second USD $14.99 Buy It Now 30m 12s
World Wide Message Tribe - Real Thing - from Jumping In the House Of God - vinyl USD $2.99 [0 bids]
USD $3.99 Buy It Now
35m 45s
MFSB - LOVE IS THE MESSAGE VINYL LP NEW+ USD $30.11 Buy It Now 36m 1s
7"-Single THE BEE GEES - I've Gotta Get A Message To You (1968) GERMANY PS USD $14.99 Buy It Now 39m 31s
The Police - Message In A Bottle 7" Rare w/ fold out poster!! USD $12.00 [0 bids]
USD $18.00 Buy It Now
44m 49s
GOSPEL PRAISE DUETS: MANY VOICES, ONE MESSAGE - NEW CD USD $7.13 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Hambro,Lenny - Message From Hambro (CD New) USD $11.96 Buy It Now 1h 3m
HANK MOBLEY Mobley's 2nd Message PRESTIGE RECORDS Sealed Vinyl LP USD $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Private Message - Theresa Arnold (2012, CD New) CD-R USD $14.31 Buy It Now 1h 22m
World Party "Put A Message In The Box" PROMO Oz 7" USD $6.20 Buy It Now 1h 31m
CLUB NOUVEAU LP LISTEN TO THE MESSAGE WARNER BROS USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Serious Message - Stitchie (2010, CD New) USD $12.92 Buy It Now 1h 51m
'Lectric Workers/Message From The Future-Robot Is Systematic/Robot Is 12" Disco USD $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
LEROY SMART Japan 1994 PROMO NM CD PRIVATE MESSAGE USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Brahms/Debussy/Berg/Poulenc/Messager/Simons/Hahns/ - Susan Graham At Ca (CD New) USD $14.44 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Hank Mobley Mobleys Message Prestige 7061 "RVG" 447 W 50th St Great Condition USD $349.00 [12 bids]
FRANCOISE HARDY Message Personnel French Picture Sleeve 45 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h
ROGER HALLMARK...A MESSAGE TO KHOMEINI...VULCAN-45 USD $3.99 [0 bids]
Jessi Colter - Take A Message To Laura (stereo) / Take A Message To Laura (mono) USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
THE BEATLES Christmas Message ~ RARE early 1970's I.C. LABEL immaculate SUPERB! USD $19.88 [1 bids]
Vasks: Message Riga Philharmonic Rusmanis CD Made In England USD $9.69 Buy It Now 3h 30m
JOHNNY HAMMOND SMITH & Lem Winchester GETTIN' THE MESSAGE #PR7217 Mono LP VG++ USD $19.95 [0 bids]
D.J. ROGERS 45 IT'S ALL OVER / LISTEN TO THE MESSAGE~ VG+ USD $2.73 Buy It Now 3h 34m
PUBLIC ENEMY MUSE SICK N HOUR MESS AGE RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! DEF JAM USD $17.05 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings [Box] by The Police (CD, Sep-1993,... USD $7.00 [0 bids]
CHARLIE MOORE & BILL NAPIER Take A Message To Mother DJ USD $9.91 Buy It Now 3h 41m
KOOL AND THE GANG 'Music Is The Message' Limited Edition Colour Vinyl LP NEW USD $15.50 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Eddie Lawrence-Message to DJ's from the Old Philosopher 45 rare promo 1 sided USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
The Message by Die Young TX (CD, Apr-2005, Immigrant Sun) USD $4.90 [0 bids]
USD $6.90 Buy It Now
Cymande 45 THE MESSAGE / ZION I ~ Janus VG+ soul USD $14.04 Buy It Now 4h 8m
GRANDMASTER FLASH AND THE FURIOUS FIVE-"THE MESSAGE" 12" SINGLE SHRINK USD $4.99 [0 bids]
GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE-"THE MESSAGE" 12" FULL LP SH-268 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Hip Hop Vinyl 12" - Professa & DJ Supreme - Message From Me 2 U - SEALED - Rare USD $29.95 [0 bids]
Love Sounds - Message De Paul Mauriat/ Japan LP/ White Label Promo USD $12.49 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Electro Boogie Rap Vinyl 12" - Mr. Magic - Magic's Message - Posse - POS-1213 USD $29.95 [0 bids]
Dalia Lama the XIVth Compassion Special Message CD 2 Books His Holiness USD $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
PROTECTOR - OMINOUS MESSAGE OF BRUTALITY CD HEAVY METAL HARD ROCK NEW+ USD $22.90 Buy It Now 6h 40m
Message In A Bottle: Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture USD $0.99 Buy It Now 6h 44m
AMY WINEHOUSE A Message To You Rudy 7" NEW VINYL yellow Jools Holland Specials USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 58m
INXS I Send A Message PICTURE SLEEVE 7" 45 record + juke box title strip NEW USD $15.50 Buy It Now 7h 17m
?? n6773 LP [WHITE PROMO] BENNY GOLSON CURTIS FULLER / CALIFORNIA MESSAGE- JAPAN USD $17.99 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Cymande The Message 2CD Out Of Print Set VG condition USD $49.99 Buy It Now 8h 4m
Vintage LP Record A&M 7" 45 rpm Sting Russians + Gabriel's Message USD $10.00 [0 bids]
The O'Jays Message in the Music Japan Limited Mini-LP CD EICP-1346 W/Obi USD $9.99 [0 bids]
ATSUMI HIRANO-JAZZ MESSAGE-JAPAN CD F08 USD $23.99 Buy It Now 8h 48m
The Bee Gees - I've Gotta get A Message To You - 7" single 45rpm SPIN label USD $6.20 Buy It Now 8h 51m
BRASS CONSTRUCTION 7" 45RPM PS WHATS ON YOUR MIND / MESSAGE R&B SOUL POP FUNK UA USD $2.47 Buy It Now 9h 25m
The Police - Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings 4 CD's USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 33m
World Party Message In The Box (PS) 7" Vinyl Single USD $8.93 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Bud Freeman - Dolphin Has A Message CD USD $15.59 Buy It Now 10h 16m
Paul Bryant - Blues Message (2 Lps On 1 Cd) CD USD $24.49 Buy It Now 10h 23m
O'JAYS - MESSAGE IN OUR MUSIC..U.S PHIL.INTERNATIONAL RECORDS USD $5.94 Buy It Now 10h 38m
Andrae Crouch - Take The Message Everywhere CD USD $12.19 Buy It Now 11h
Nrbq - Message For The Mess Age CD USD $14.89 Buy It Now 11h 2m
CD . Various Artists . Message In A Bottle: Music From And Inspired By The Motio USD $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 16m
ANIME / QUEEN MILLENNIA hoshizora no message JAPAN 7" 7A0001 kR4 USD $15.99 Buy It Now 11h 36m
7"TOP EX;45RPM;ELECTRONIC;"GET THE MESSAGE"FREE WILL" USD $8.18 Buy It Now 11h 56m
STING"RUSSIANS"GABRIELS MESSAGE"7" EX COND;1985;P/S.UK USD $8.18 Buy It Now 11h 56m
A MESSAGE FROM BIRMINGHAM SUNDAY LP/1968 Folk-Pop Psych/Growing Concern USD $32.99 Buy It Now 12h 27m
MICHAEL JACKSON Love Is My Message JAPAN LP w/Postcard 25.3P-342 No Obi USD $59.99 Buy It Now 12h 28m
HAUNTED:Searching For My Baby 2:55-A Message To Pretty 2:35-Canada 7"Trans World USD $184.98 Buy It Now 12h 31m
Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love & Take A Message To Mary USD $1.27 [2 bids]
PATMOS-A MESSAGE TO MANKIND,CREATIVE SOUND,2 LP,IN SHRINK,W/INSERT! XIAN PSYCH! USD $11.99 [1 bids]
Club Nouveau Life Love & pain, Listen To The Message, Under A Nouveau Groove LPs USD $20.99 Buy It Now 13h 46m
The Message [1997] by 4Him (CD, Aug-1997, Verity) USD $4.00 [0 bids]
soho : Message From My Baby Record Mirror Advertisement 3x8 USD $5.21 Buy It Now 13h 59m
The Bee Gees(Vinyl LP)Ive Gotta Get A Message To You-UK-CN 2028-Contour-Ex/NM USD $13.19 Buy It Now 14h 15m
ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION 'DON'T MISS THE MESSAGE' US IMPORT 7" SINGLE USD $4.45 Buy It Now 14h 16m
Klanguage(12"Vinyl)The Message-France-RR001-Rise-New/Sealed/New/ USD $17.49 Buy It Now 14h 18m
1970'S Newspaper Clipping : The Jack Bruce Band, Getting the message out USD $10.41 Buy It Now 14h 20m
The Gorillas - Message To The World - DAMGOOD414CD USD $13.70 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Bee Gees(Vinyl LP)I've Gotta Get A Message To You-Pickwick-CN 2028-UK-VG/NM USD $13.19 Buy It Now 14h 28m
Messager(Vinyl LP)The Two Pigeons-HMV-ESD 7048-UK-VG+/NM USD $18.99 Buy It Now 14h 43m
The Everly Brothers(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Poor Jenny / Take A Message To Mary-Ex/Ex USD $18.99 Buy It Now 14h 43m
RYUHEI THE MAN-THE MESSAGE FROM BRUNSWICK -IT`S A WINDY CITY WORLD -JAPAN CD F32 USD $24.50 Buy It Now 14h 48m
BOYZONE "CHRISTMAS MESSAGE" V RARE 1999 PROMO CD POLYDOR UK RONAN KEATING USD $12.63 Buy It Now 14h 49m
The Bee Gees I've Got A Message To You 4 Track EP 1968 Rare Portugal Kitty Can USD $25.00 [0 bids]
USD $45.00 Buy It Now
RUDEBWOY FACE - A Message To - Japan CD - NEW J-POP USD $15.90 Buy It Now 15h 8m
The O'Jays - Message In Our Music 7" Single 1976 USD $13.39 Buy It Now 15h 10m
THE PRETENDERS 'MESSAGE OF LOVE' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE USD $2.22 Buy It Now 15h 21m
BEE GEES~I'VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU~1968 US PROMO 7" SINGLE~ATCO 45-6603 USD $8.18 Buy It Now 15h 26m
WORLD PARTY 'MESSAGE IN THE BOX' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE #3 USD $1.86 Buy It Now 15h 29m
WORLD PARTY 'MESSAGE IN THE BOX' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE #2 USD $1.86 Buy It Now 15h 29m
ZERRA I 'TEN THOUSAND VOICES, MESSAGE FROM THE PEOPLES' UK PIC/SLV 7" SINGLE USD $4.45 Buy It Now 15h 29m
THE O'JAYS-MESSAGE IN OUR MUSIC Northern Soul HEAR IT! EX+ USD $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 32m
World Wide Message Tribe - 'Heatseeker' UK CD Album USD $4.45 Buy It Now 15h 33m
HK VCD Takashi Sorimachi ???? " One Hour Live Message " NEW USD $18.00 Buy It Now 15h 44m
DA VINCI VOX THE HIDDEN MESSAGE, NEW CD USD $13.91 Buy It Now 15h 45m
A Message To DJ's on Amsterdam ADJ-1 PROMO USD $2.50 Buy It Now 15h 53m
LOVE IS THE MESSAGE - MFSB - PI RECORDS-32707 - STEREO USD $14.00 Buy It Now 16h 9m
AMY WINEHOUSE & JOOLS HOLLAND Monkey Man/A Message To You Rudy NEW COLORED 7" USD $8.90 Buy It Now 16h 14m
Lehar/Messager/Kalman(Vinyl LP)Bouquet D'Operettes---France-VG/NM USD $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 17m
Adam Faith - A message to Martha UK 7" USD $5.94 Buy It Now 16h 21m
WORLD PARTY - MESSAGE IN THE BOX - 7" VINYL BOX EDITION NO. 4000 1990 ENSIGN USD $5.94 Buy It Now 16h 25m
MARC MAC - MESSAGE FROM SOULVILLE CD - HIP HOP / RAP - 22 TRACKS - NEW+ USD $22.94 Buy It Now 16h 26m
GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE - THE MESSAGE CD NEW+ USD $20.70 Buy It Now 16h 53m
Message in Our Music: The Best of USD $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 57m
V.A.-JAZZ MESSAGE FROM TOKYO-JAPAN CD C75 USD $17.99 Buy It Now 17h
KEYSTONES QT LP MESSAGE 1000 A SOULFUL EXPERIENCE NM USD $10.00 Buy It Now 17h 3m
BILL HAYES ~ MESSAGE FROM JAMES DEAN ~ MEGA RARE ROCKABILLY ~ HEAR ! CADENCE 45 USD $21.99 Buy It Now 17h 4m
CD dawn anew is coming
~ USD $14.29
CD from books and dreams
~ USD $14.29
LP the dawn anew is coming
~ USD $20.93

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"