MESSAGE

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

MessageMessage
Long Island 1995
The Art of BlakeyThe Art of Blakey
Evidence 1995
JAZZ MESSAGE #2 HANK MOBLEY LEE MORGAN SAVOY mono 12092 ORG Press SEALED! US $1,000.00 Buy It Now 30m 24s
Love Happy - Message Of Love - 1995 PS VG++ 12" Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 30m 47s
Rock 12" EP PRETENDERS Message Of Love etc NM MINI-3563 EB860 US $10.99 Buy It Now 57m 58s
Buddy Miles - A Message to the People 1970 Mercury orig. LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h
GARAGE 45 The Tokens - Sylvie Sleepin' /Message To The World BT PUPPY DJ PROMO E US $7.50 [0 bids]
1h
LATIN SOUL FUNK 45 RPM Dyna-Might - Sunshine Goddess / Message To Me Brother US $7.50 [0 bids]
1h
BETTY ROCHE I Just Got The Message Baby/Summertime JAZZ BLUES SOUL 45 rpm HEAR US $30.00 [0 bids]
Blue Magic "Message from the Magic" Atco Promo Lp US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Subliminal Get The Message Vol.1 CD USA US $17.79 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Sofia Shinas - The Message - Test Pressing 12" Single MK MIxes US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE EVERLY BROTHERS - TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY / POOR JENNY - CADENCE 1364 45 RPM US $7.99 [0 bids]
VIOLINAIRES TAKE TIME TO PRAY/MESSAGE TO MY FIRENDS 45 J EWEL BLACK GOSPEL US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
RICHARD GROOVE HOLMES - SOUL MESSAGE: RUDY VAN GELDER REMASTERS NEW CD US $23.23 Buy It Now 2h 29m
1973 FUNK MFSB Love Is The Message Vintage Vinyl LP W/ SOUL TRAIN THEME TSOP US $3.99 [0 bids]
BEE GEES-3 Orig Hit 45's-I've Gotta Get A Message/Massachusetts/How Can You Mend US $8.04 Buy It Now 2h 45m
HEAR Topper Zukie Viego/Message To Pork Eaters JUNGLE Jamaican Pressing FHM7904 US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 47m
OL DIRTY BASTARD - MESSAGE TO THE OTHER SIDE - BONUS DVD NEW CD US $19.19 Buy It Now 2h 58m
THE WHATNAUTS - MESSAGE FROM A BLACK MAN - NEW CD US $10.05 Buy It Now 3h 42m
MISIA - Love Is the Message US $4.50 [0 bids]
ARTHUR BAKER & BACKBEAT DISCIPLES FEAT. AL GREEN - MESSAGE IS LOVE - 5 TRACKS US $12.95 Buy It Now 4h 17m
MOJOBONE - CROSSROAD MESSAGE & TALES FROM THE BONE NEW CD US $23.96 Buy It Now 4h 18m
[12'' MAXI] Arthur Baker And The Backbeat,The Message Is Love (A US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
LOVE/A Message To Pretty/My Little Red Book/Elektra Records 45603/7"/45rpm/VG+ US $51.36 Buy It Now 4h 55m
MEN without HATS " I Got The Message" VG+ VG++ UK VIRGIN-45 105-925-100 US $0.99 [0 bids]
J SHANK - THE MESSAGE UG G-RAP CD US $29.98 Buy It Now 5h 28m
GRANDMASTER MELLE MEL & FURIOUS FIVE The Message 12" Vinyl Sugar Hill RE Promo US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Richard Groove Holmes - Soul Message CD US $20.07 Buy It Now 6h 44m
Andrae Crouch - Take The Message Everywhere CD US $11.81 Buy It Now 6h 57m
@ CD Position -The Message RARE MEL. HARDROCK INDIE 97 SS US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h
ANDRAE CROUCH & DISCIPLES - TAKE THE MESSAGE EVERYWHERE NEW CD US $12.38 Buy It Now 7h 18m
The O'Jays - Message in Our Music/Travelin' at the Speed of Thought (2004) US $13.16 Buy It Now 7h 20m
The Police Message In A Bottle 7" 45 UK Blue Vinyl Pressing 1979 M- US $13.41 [0 bids]
THE EVERLY BROTHERS-Take A Message To Mary/Poor Jenny USA 7" EX Cond US $9.77 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE Ouevre 12" Vinyl LOW 4.00 US $11.99 Buy It Now 7h 33m
LP BUDDY MILES A Message To The People '70 PROMO soul funk jimi hendrix WLP RARE US $55.00 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Sealed! Pict Disc POPE JOHN PAUL II A Message Of Peace ORIG Sealed EB655 US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
THE WAILERS BAND - JAH MESSAGE US $1.94 [3 bids]
DIONNE WARWICK "MESSAGE TO MICHAEL" '66 DUTCH PS 45 SOUL GIRL PS 7" US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 14m
THE MCKAMEYS - THE MESSAGE [THE MCKAMEYS] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $12.25 Buy It Now 8h 18m
gulff - The Message LP - Japan CD-NEW J-POP J-ROCK US $10.44 Buy It Now 8h 27m
GORILLAS - MESSAGE TO THE WORLD NEW CD US $24.70 Buy It Now 8h 29m
PRINCESS PANGOLIN - MESSAGE FROM THE SEA (LTD) NEW VINYL US $40.48 Buy It Now 9h 18m
Patricia Cahill,Summer's Daughter,Signed with message,Rare Folk/Pop,LP US $48.92 Buy It Now 9h 23m
GREG STRANGE - Message For You - Christian Music CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 9h 57m
V.A.-JAZZ MESSAGE FROM TOKYO-JAPAN CD C75 US $20.50 Buy It Now 10h 8m
A Message from the Ghetto by The Sons of Truth (CD, Nov-2010, Ace (Label)) US $13.19 Buy It Now 10h 10m
The Message: Soul Funk Grooves from Mainstream Recordings by Various Artists... US $16.69 Buy It Now 10h 11m
NEW NATIONS-Listen To The Message-DALLAS TX.Spiritual Gospel/CHRISTIAN-Vocal-Cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 23m
POLICE - Message In A Bottle - Excellent Condition 7" Single A&M AMS 7474 US $6.49 Buy It Now 10h 33m
POLICE - Message In A Bottle - Excellent Condition 7" Single A&M AMS 7474 US $6.51 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Message In A Bottle: Original Motion Picture Score (1999 Film), , Good Soundtrac US $6.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
Prince Far I - Message From The King NEW CD US $8.01 Buy It Now 10h 59m
ELECTRONIC - GET THE MESSAGE - (FACTORY) CASS SINGLE ( BERNARD SUMNER/MARR) US $2.45 Buy It Now 11h 26m
GRAND MASTER FLASH & FURIOUS FIVE THE MESSAGE Original 12"- SUGARHILL 584 - EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 40m
EDDY GRANT - CAN'T GET ENOUGH/MESSAGE MAN CASSETTE - RARE US $6.51 Buy It Now 11h 57m
Bent Axen LET'S KEEP THE MESSAGE Near Mint 210gr Think! (Japan) re-issue US $150.00 [0 bids]
RICHARD "GROOVE" HOL - SOUL MESSAGE [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $11.46 Buy It Now 12h 21m
Buddy Miles - Message to the People LP US $1.99 [0 bids]
SING THE MESSAGE KPM LIBRARY SOUNDS MUSIC CD US $14.66 Buy It Now 12h 28m
Bee Gees(7" Vinyl)I've Gotta Get A Message To You-Polydor-56273-UK-VG/VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 56m
Sound Of Blackness Kings & Queens Message Music From The Movement (CD 2007) NEW US $18.69 Buy It Now 12h 59m
INXS USA 1984 PROMO 12" Single I SEND A MESSAGE PR618 US $11.40 Buy It Now 13h 6m
Bee Gees 'Gotta Get A Message To You / Tribute Album' 1998 CD Album Promo US $6.51 [1 bids]
The Specials A Message To You Rudy 7" Vinyl 2 Tone 1979 Ska Nite Klub Double A US $4.40 [3 bids]
John Salisbury SEALED LP A Message For Americans - Patriotic Spoken Word US $8.50 Buy It Now 13h 20m
BEE GEES-GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU UK classic rock LP US $4.98 Buy It Now 13h 26m
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five rap hip hop 12" The Message 1982 VG++ ORIG US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 33m
LOVE, Psych Rock 45, A Message to Pretty / My Little Red Book, electra 45603 US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 36m
CHRIS BROKAW AND GEOFF FARINA - THE ANGEL'S MESSAGE TO ME (CD 2010) US $5.99 [0 bids]
ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO Message To Our Folks ACTUEL Sealed 180 Gram Vinyl LP US $16.00 Buy It Now 13h 44m
BIRMINGHAM SUNDAY-A MESSAGE FROM BIRMINGHAM SUNDAY-CD US $26.99 Buy It Now 13h 46m
INXS I SEND A MESSAGE MUSIC RECORD 12" SINGLE VINYL ATCO RECORDS PROMO PR 618 US $4.99 [0 bids]
LP THE BEE GEES - "I've Gotta Get A Message To You" (1974) US $4.40 [0 bids]
THE POLICE Message In A Botle Picture Disc US $145.00 Buy It Now 13h 56m
MARION WILLIAMS - THE NEW MESSAGE W/ JUNIOR MANCE (US) NM NM (ATLANTIC) LP US $34.50 Buy It Now 13h 57m
ROBERT BANKS: The Message (black gospel vinyl LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 2m
FANNY ADAMS got to get a message to you 45 KAPP --- hard rock psych --- LISTEN US $9.99 [0 bids]
RICHARD 'GROOVE' HOLMES: Soul Message (soul vinyl LP) US $35.00 Buy It Now 14h 16m
* 4HIM - The Message US $1.50 Buy It Now 14h 18m
CYMANDE-THE MESSAGE /ZION I-FUNK 45 on Janus US $8.00 [1 bids]
Japan BoA Message / Call my name ????? 2013 Taiwan w/obi CD+DVD Special Pack N US $17.49 Buy It Now 14h 38m
Rock Promo NM! 45 GARY MYRICK Message Is You on Epic (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 42m
CYMANDE The Message - dj m/s 45 EX US 1972 orig Janus 203 US $47.00 Buy It Now 14h 50m
CYMANDE The Message + Zion I 45 US 1972 orig Janus US $21.98 Buy It Now 14h 50m
Samantha Janus A Message to Your Heart UK 1991 Hollywood HWD 104 US $6.51 Buy It Now 14h 54m
RYUHEI THE MAN/VARIOUS - Next Message From The Man 4 - mixed CD US $47.69 Buy It Now 15h
HEAR- Rare Early Country 78- The Carter Family- Jim Blake's Message- Decca #5467 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Soul 45 DIONNE WARWICK Message To Michael on Scepter US $5.00 Buy It Now 15h 14m
ARTISTIC SOUNDS - message to a nation - SAVOY SEALED! US $7.99 [0 bids]
EJ19) 7" HEPTONES - MESSAGE FROM A BLACK MAN US $12.80 [0 bids]
EJ55) 7" BOBBY SOUL - MESSAGE FROM THE CONGO US $50.82 [2 bids]
THE LUCY SHOW NEW MESSAGE 12" US $11.49 Buy It Now 15h 26m
John Collier Suits advertising EP a message from Brian Matthew early 1960s US $8.14 [0 bids]
RICHARD GROOVE HOLMES - soul message - PRESTIGE 7435 VAN GELDER BERGENFIELD US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Bee Gees "I've Gotta Get a Message To You/Kitty Can" 45 US $3.47 Buy It Now 15h 46m
BoA - Message/Call My Name & Shout It Out (Type A USB) US $32.85 [3 bids]
MFSB: Love Is The Message (soul vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Buddy Miles "A Message to the People" 1971 US $5.59 [0 bids]
16h
Treasure Boy - Tears Won't Help/A Message To Martha - Harry J HJ-6704A/B - 1974 US $24.45 [0 bids]
Club Nouveau Listen to the Message by (CD, Jan-1988, Warner Bros.) US $4.99 Buy It Now 16h 6m

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Send comments to Progbear (BETA) | Report this review (#45681) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Send comments to Melomaniac (BETA) | Report this review (#71356) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Send comments to historian9 (BETA) | Report this review (#658769) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"