MESSAGE

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

various - the message CD US $20.63 Buy It Now 51m 55s
Illinois Jacquet - The Message With Kenny Burrell (Chess) Lp US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Art Blakey - A Jazz Message W/ Sonny Stitt (Spain Gatefold) (Abc Impulse) Lp US $19.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
D-DYING MESSAGE-JAPAN CD DVD TYPE B D20 US $20.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
WOW Hi-Fi Message by Every Little Thing (CD 2006) Japan US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
HEARTLAND-III 1995 CD+1 BONUS JAPAN OBI DISTANCENEWMANMESSAGEOUSEY US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Lenny Hambro - Message From Hambro [CD New] US $11.47 Buy It Now 1h 43m
And The Message Is Love 0731454025522, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $15.92 Buy It Now 2h 6m
CAROLE SERAT-Message En Rouge 10tracks Japan CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 20m
INXS 'I Send A Message' 7" Single-1984 WEA-Jiffy envelope style sleeve-7-259620 US $17.55 Buy It Now 2h 22m
MOVE - MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $18.16 Buy It Now 2h 47m
WATASE MAKI - Message damour - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Message In Blood - Next of kin Skin Oi! hool isd US $2.24 [0 bids]
Various Artists - LOVE is the Message - Japan CD - NEW US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
MJT+3 - MESSAGE FROM WALTON STREET NEW CD US $14.21 Buy It Now 3h 4m
ADAM FAITH - A MESSAGE TO MARTHA - 7" VINYL 1964 PARLOPHONE RECORDS US $5.29 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Inxs I Send A Message Us Dj 12" 2 mixes US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Inxs I Send A Message , Mechanical German 12" US $22.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
David Russell - Message Of The Sea CD US $19.31 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Mjt & 3 - Message From Walton Street CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Move - Message From The Country CD US $16.64 Buy It Now 3h 31m
** DERRICK HARRIOTT MESSAGE FROM A BLACK MAN HUGE FUNKY REGGAE CLASSIC!! US $18.88 Buy It Now 3h 33m
** THE HEPTONES YOU TURNED AWAY MESSAGE FROM A BLACK MAN STUDIO ONE CLASSICS US $12.45 Buy It Now 3h 33m
GOSPEL PRAISE DUETS: MANY VOICES ONE MESSAGE / VAR NEW CD US $10.94 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Lester Young - Le Dernier Message De Lester Young - 180 Gr. Ltd Lp Reissue New US $45.00 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Gorillas - Message To The World CD US $19.85 Buy It Now 3h 49m
The Police - "Message In A Bottle" 7" (1979) EX / "Landlord" / AMS 7474 US $5.61 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Inca Babies - Death Message Blues CD US $13.06 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Guitar Crusher - Message to Man..New Sealed (1997) US $9.63 Buy It Now 3h 57m
The Police - "Message In A Bottle" 7" (1979) EX / "Landlord" / AMS 7474 A1 US $2.40 Buy It Now 3h 57m
POLICE~MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE~RARE PROMO~NEAR MINT~A & M 17122~~ 12" SINGLE US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Message To The Grass Roots From Malcolm X Lp Rare US $7.99 [1 bids]
Jonathan & Sicilian Defense Finlayson - Moment & The Message CD US $17.73 Buy It Now 4h 12m
MESSENGER-BRINGIN' THE MESSAGE-JAPAN CD F30 US $26.50 Buy It Now 4h 16m
MYNAME-MESSAGE-JAPAN CD DVD TYPE B D50 zd US $19.50 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Mfsb - Best Of-Love Is The Message CD SBME SPECIAL PRODUCTS US $9.94 Buy It Now 4h 26m
ANATAKIKOU - Message Pie - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
THE LIVING DIMENSION / THE CLEAR LIGHT message LP VG+ ART 7624 Vinyl 1976 Record US $21.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
TOMATO'S FACTORY MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE ** CD SINGLE ** US $9.23 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Arc Angel - Spikey Message - UK CD Single US $8.38 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Arc Angle - Spikey Message - UK Promo CD Single US $10.12 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Finger Poppin' Doo Wop Vol. 2 - Message of Love, Various Artists, Good US $2.24 Buy It Now 4h 47m
MR. MAGIC Magic's Message (There Has To Be Better Way) 12" single NM MINT Rare US $20.00 [0 bids]
Howlin' Wolf - Message to the Young - GET54046CD US $18.54 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Kool & The Gang ?- Music Is The Message-De-Lite Records ?- DE-2011-Reissue Funk US $5.99 [0 bids]
Roger Hallmark & the Thrasher Bros, A Message to Khomeini ~ 1979 Volcano 45 US $3.77 Buy It Now 5h 6m
MFSB love is the message LP Mint- KZ 32707 Vinyl 1973 USA Funk Soul Disco US $18.75 Buy It Now 5h 11m
REDBONE-MESSAGE FROM A DRUM/ONE MONKEY EPIC 10866 VG+ 45 US $5.98 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Brian Kennedy - Put The Message In The Box - UK CD Single US $5.76 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Brian Kennedy - Put The Message In The Box - 4 Track UK CD Single462272 US $7.51 Buy It Now 5h 20m
MERRELL FANKHAUSER (HMS BOUNTY/FAPARDOKLY) 1986 -"Message to Universe" UK US $15.15 [0 bids]
MFSB LP Love Is The Message 1973 TSOP Soul Train Theme Philly Soul Shrink M- US $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m
The Pretenders - Message Of Love/Porcelain- Single (1981) US $1.61 [0 bids]
The Move - Message from the Country 2005 Remaster CD bonus tracks Roy Wood ELO US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
THE BEE GEES -(45)- I'VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU / KITTY CAN - ATCO-6603-1968 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Vinyl records full size album Buddy Miles A message to the people Mercury US $17.00 [0 bids]
BARRY WHITE LP - THE MESSAGE IS LOVE US $1.61 [1 bids]
Electronic: Get the message German 12" EX+ New Order US $11.24 Buy It Now 6h 18m
i-Kon - Got A Message - UK CD Single US $10.12 Buy It Now 6h 20m
WORLD PARTY - Message In The Box - Ex Con 12" single US $11.24 Buy It Now 6h 22m
Boys Video Message From The Boys (1989 MCA) VHS NTSC music videos US $11.50 [0 bids]
SANDIE SHAW- MESSAGE UNDERSTOOD US $16.00 [0 bids]
SOFIA SHINAS - The Message - 12" Vinyl 1992 WB Records POP ROCK CLUB MIX US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 33m
REDBONE / MESSAGE FROM A DRUM LP / 70'S PSYCH US $5.99 [0 bids]
MINT 7" I'VE GOT TO GET A MESSAGE TO YOU BEE GEES BARRY ROBIN & MAURICE GIBB US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Black Velvet Peace & Love Is The Message 7"Single 1969 US $15.44 Buy It Now 6h 56m
MESSAGE THE DISCIPLES..uk steppas RARE DUB lp- SUNRISE...uk dub US $129.00 [0 bids]
CLUB NOUVEAU Listen To The Message WARNER BROTHERS LP '88 OG RnB Swing Jay King US $1.99 Buy It Now 7h 24m
ILLINOIS JACQUET THE MESSAGE WITH KENNY BURRELL LONEHILL JAZZ CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Country Hymns 20/21 78 EP Message to my Mother Looking through the windows US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 27m
Buddy Miles - A Message To The People LP - Mercury VG++ US $6.00 [1 bids]
Club Nouveau - Listen To The Message (CD - 1988) - VERY GOOD CONDITION US $5.25 Buy It Now 7h 36m
John Forte Ninety Nine( Flash The Message) Prod. Wyclef John Pras Hiphop US $0.99 [0 bids]
Stuart Mc Lean - Important Message From The Vinyl Cafe [CD New] US $14.92 Buy It Now 7h 45m
HANK MOBLEY-MOBLEY'S MESSAGE-JAPAN SHM-CD D73 US $20.50 Buy It Now 7h 48m
HANK MOBLEY-JAZZ MESSAGE OF VOL 1-JAPAN CD 1201 B75 US $14.50 Buy It Now 7h 51m
THE MOVE - MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY - 3303422 US $13.36 Buy It Now 7h 54m
ELECTRONIC - GET THE MESSAGE - THE BEST OF - 3714052 US $12.87 Buy It Now 7h 58m
GRANDMASTER MELLE MEL - STEP OFF / THE MESSAGE SUGARHILL ORIG 12" US $1.59 [0 bids]
8h
JUDIE TZUKE-A MESSAGE FROM RADIO CITY-1988 US $5.61 [0 bids]
8h
MYNAME-MESSAGE-JAPAN CD DVD TYPE A D50 zd US $19.50 Buy It Now 8h 13m
The Message [1997] by 4Him (CD, Aug-1997, Verity) Christian praise FREE SHIPPING US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 14m
BLUE NOTE 4004 A MESSAGE FROM ART BLAKEY VOL.1 ORIG US LP 47W 63RD DG ED1 NM US $71.00 [11 bids]
BLUE NOTE 4005 A MESSAGE FROM ART BLAKEY VOL.2 ORIG US LP 47W 63RD DG ED1 NM US $71.00 [11 bids]
CLUB NOUVEAU Listen To the Message LP OOP late-80's dance-pop promo US $2.99 Buy It Now 8h 20m
MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE- Soundtrack/Score CD (1999) Gabriel Yared/Laura Pausini/Cohn US $7.06 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Finger Poppin' Doo Wop Vol. 2 - Message of Love CD (Harptones/Capris/Penguins) US $7.06 Buy It Now 8h 29m
MESSAGE The Dawn Anew is Coming '73 French LP PROG PSYCH KRAUTROCK Bacillus 7008 US $99.99 [0 bids]
Sting I Burn For You Russians Gabriel's Message Shrink Vinyl Record LP US $4.74 Buy It Now 8h 39m
BRIAN WILSON What I Christmas w/MESSAGE #16612 UK CD BEACH BOYS SEALED USA Sellr US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
GHANDI-GRATEFUL MESSAGE-cd-1990-first German pressing US $40.19 Buy It Now 8h 41m
The Bee Gees - I've Gotta Get A Message To You. 1968 UK 7" Ex! US $0.80 [0 bids]
Gabriel's Message - Westwind Ensemble US $15.99 Buy It Now 8h 52m
1993 Benson Music Group Sampler Artists Music Message CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Soul 45 DIONNE WARWICK Message To Michael on Scepter 8 US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 55m
The Cure Cd, Message From Jupiter, Live 96 US $25.00 Buy It Now 8h 56m
PAUL OTT CARRUTH a message to mankind LP VG+ USR 2722 Vinyl Record US $24.00 Buy It Now 9h 17m
JOE STAMPLEY I'm Gonna Love You Back To Loving Me Again LP The Message Jukebox US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 21m
DAR WILLIAMS - MORTAL CITY - HAND SIGNED - STRONG & CLEAR SIGNATURE & MESSAGE US $17.95 Buy It Now 9h 21m
LE MESSAGE 45 FRENCH QUEBEC GARAGE PSYCH CANADA LISTEN US $9.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Send comments to Progbear (BETA) | Report this review (#45681) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Send comments to Melomaniac (BETA) | Report this review (#71356) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Send comments to historian9 (BETA) | Report this review (#658769) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"