MESSAGE

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

Various Artists-Blues With a Message CD NEW USD $16.07 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Message in the Music - The Ashey Beedle Re-Edits - DOUBLE USD $5.24 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Message To My Girl ~ ENZSO Cassette Tape USD $4.47 Buy It Now 3h 29m
GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE / THE MESSAGE / RAP HIP HOP 45 PC USD $6.95 [0 bids]
THE POLICE_MEssage In A Bottle_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_B1a USD $9.02 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Art Blakey-Jazz Messengers!!!!!/A Jazz Message CD NEW USD $16.37 Buy It Now 4h 17m
MICKIE MESSAGE & SONGBOOK NO. 4 1972 SLADE BOWIE T.REX BEATLES O'JAYS FOUR TOPS USD $13.11 Buy It Now 4h 38m
BLUE NOTE 50th Anniversary Collection Volume 2 1956-1965: The Jazz Message 2xLP USD $134.25 Buy It Now 4h 43m
WORLD PARTY - 'MESSAGE IN THE BOX' - UK PICTURE SLEEVE - 7" SINGLE USD $3.27 Buy It Now 4h 47m
When You Love a Woman/Message of Love, Journey (Artist), Good Single USD $5.98 Buy It Now 4h 54m
Message In A Bottle: Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture Various Arti USD $3.89 Buy It Now 5h 4m
THE O'JAYS -MESSAGE IN THE MUSIC / TRAVELIN' AT SPEED OF THOUGHT CD ALBUM (SOUL) USD $8.52 Buy It Now 5h 25m
ENSEMBLE EXVOCO - HOLSZKY message / 5 vocal works CPO CD STILL SEALED USD $7.49 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Message in Music Dr. Martin Luther Message in Music Dr. Martin Luther Audio CD USD $5.93 Buy It Now 5h 55m
THE PRIME CUT Message To The Ghetto SOUL R&B 45 RPM RECORD USD $9.60 Buy It Now 6h 15m
JUDIE TZUKE PORTFOLIO A MESSAGE FROM RADIO CITY cassette tape album T1023 USD $6.55 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Hoshi Kara no Message 2008 Koi wo Shiteiru Japan CD NEW USD $14.24 Buy It Now 6h 20m
LOUNGE JAYS - Message a Rama 12" House USD $7.86 Buy It Now 7h 16m
Get The Message 7" Electronic - 1991 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Love Is The Message (Remix) 12" Love Inc. feat. MC Noise - 1991 USD $31.40 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Message Of Love 7" The Pretenders - 1981 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 19m
Jean-Pierre Jacquillat "Messager:The Two Pigeons" LP in SHRINK UK PRESS USD $2.47 Buy It Now 7h 44m
Everly Brothers-Byb Bye Love & Take A Message To Mary 45 record USD $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Living Message, INO hidefumi, CD, Japan USD $45.56 Buy It Now 8h 4m
(FU70) The Brute Chorus, Send Me A Message - DJ CD USD $2.61 Buy It Now 8h 6m
BEE GEES - I'VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU - GERMANY 45 SINGLE USD $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 6m
ORIGINAL HOWLIN' WOLF " MESSAGE TO THE YOUNG " EXCELLENT CHESS RECORDS USD $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 8m
EVERLY BROTHERS TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY / POOR JENNY 45 RECORD CADENCE 1364 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 8h 20m
PANDEMIA - Spreading the Message CD 1999 Pyaemia Severe Torture Death USD $5.00 [0 bids]
USD $9.99 Buy It Now
NRBQ RARE MESSAGE FOR THE MESS AGE CD / LP COVER ART DRINK COASTERS TERRY ADAMS USD $17.95 Buy It Now 8h 41m
DJ KRUSH - MESSAGE AT THE DEPTH VINYL LP NEW USD $34.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Lp-MFSB-Love Is The Message-1973-Gamble/Huff-TSOP USD $5.99 [0 bids]
A Jazz Message [Remaster] by Art Blakey/Art Blakey Quartet (CD, Oct-1999, GRP... USD $15.00 Buy It Now 9h 36m
Arthur Baker & the Back Beat Disciples- The Message Is Love- CD Single USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 46m
Tommy Bankhead-Message To St Louis CD NEW USD $16.07 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Messager : Les Deux Pigeons ( Excerpts ) - Jean-Pierre Jacquillat : Stereo : NM USD $8.91 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Gabriels' Message - One Thousand Years of Carols CD NEW USD $10.09 Buy It Now 9h 49m
ANDRE CROUCH DISCIPLES TAKE THE MESSAGE EVERYWHERE LP IN SHRINK GOSPEL JESUS USD $1.99 Buy It Now 10h 7m
Big Jay McNeely 45 I Got the Message/Psycho Serenade Swingin' Blues Rocker Jump USD $7.80 Buy It Now 10h 8m
acceptable - Daniel Kondas ~ The Message (CARR-Iz-Matic CD) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 10h 13m
Public Enemy - Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age [PA] (CD, May-1994, Def Jam (USA) USD $4.67 Buy It Now 10h 13m
Inca Babies - Death Message Blues [CD New] USD $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 13m
FREDDY FENDER: Living It Down/ Take Her A Message I'm Lonely (45) - NM USD $0.99 Buy It Now 10h 22m
Nikolaj Steen: The message 12" vinyl record 5h USD $2.00 Buy It Now 10h 38m
Ray Charles A Message From The People Record USD $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
SOFIA SHINAS THE MESSAGE 12" ORIG '92 PROMO DEEP HOUSE GARAGE MK MARC KINCHEN NM USD $3.99 Buy It Now 10h 51m
The Police Message In A Bottle On Green Vinyl Single USD $9.17 [0 bids]
60s Jazz THE MITCHELL-RUFF TRIO After This Message NM EB328 USD $18.99 Buy It Now 11h 16m
Jah Message by Wailers (The) (CD, REAL AUTHENTIC) [Reggae, Rock Steady] USD $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 19m
Electronic - Get The Message / Free Will 7" Single 45 RPM Record USD $1.90 Buy It Now 11h 33m
ELECTRONIC Get The Message VINYL 7" SINGLE RECORD SUMNER MARR USD $2.48 [0 bids]
Message In A Bottle: Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture Various Arti USD $3.89 Buy It Now 11h 53m
THE POLICE - MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE 7" 79 VG- USD $2.61 Buy It Now 11h 59m
NRBQ-MESSAGE FOR THE MESS AGE CD NEW USD $5.48 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Cymande 45 ZION I / THE MESSAGE ~ Janus Records ~ VG+ USD $9.99 [0 bids]
12h
CLUB NOUVEAU Listen to the Message CD MINT 1988 Funky R&B USD $1.07 Buy It Now 12h 5m
THE POLICE 1979 vinyl 45rpm single MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE USD $3.92 Buy It Now 12h 7m
DONNA DOUGLAS - THE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - N/MINT PICCADILLY 45 USD $10.50 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Gabriels Message-Christmas Carols for Flute & Harp USD $3.99 Buy It Now 12h 13m
Stuart Mc Lean - Important Message From The Vinyl Cafe [CD New] USD $16.44 Buy It Now 12h 13m
RENEGADES: Uomo Solo / Take A Message 45 (Italy, PS) Rock & Pop USD $30.00 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Message From A Black Man - A Golden Classics Edition The Whatnauts Audio CD USD $20.54 Buy It Now 12h 33m
MFSB Love is the Message ECPM59PH LP Et8183 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
EVERLY BROTHERS Poor Jenny/Take A Message To Mary 45 RPM Cadence Records USD $7.00 Buy It Now 12h 50m
Stevie Wonder- Music of My Mind/ Ray Charles - Message From People 8 Track 1972 USD $23.00 Buy It Now 13h
Message From Home - Pharoah Sanders (CD Used Very Good) USD $14.45 Buy It Now 13h 32m
EDDY GRANT -CAN'T GET ENOUGH / MESSAGE MAN - TWO ALBUMS CASSETTE TAPE USD $2.62 Buy It Now 13h 35m
NICE DEVICE Love Is The Message/Divine Miss D - 1993 EU Maxi-CD - Hip House RARE USD $1.97 Buy It Now 13h 42m
Sending A Message-Contemporary Indigenous-CD-2002-Frank Yamma-Blake Ralph-12782 USD $22.50 Buy It Now 13h 47m
THE POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE AMP1052 EP ww4552 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
Message From a King Audio CD USD $25.46 Buy It Now 13h 52m
THE POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE AMP1052 EP ww0974 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
JIMI HENDRIX / Crash Landing/ PRINTED Promo Label/ '75- Reprise/DEAD WAX MESSAGE USD $34.99 Buy It Now 14h 34m
Message from Beat Street: The Best of Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel USD $7.00 [0 bids]
STL Message Of Sound Part 1 12" NEW VINYL Echocord Stephan Laubner Luke Hess Qua USD $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 37m
Nelson Eddy "Because/Message" 78rpm Columbia Masterworks #MM 571(Grn Label) USD $10.50 Buy It Now 14h 59m
MAHATMA GANDHI COLUMBIA 78 RPM RECORD 17523 HIS SPIRITUAL MESSAGE USD $30.00 Buy It Now 15h
Public Enemy - Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age [CD New] USD $8.87 Buy It Now 15h 13m
Every Little Thing - 14 Message: Every Best Songs 2 [CD New] USD $18.97 Buy It Now 15h 14m
WAYNE WONDER MESSAGE EP ww4600 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
CLUB NOUVEAU Japan 1988 32XD-1053 NM CD+Obi LISTEN TO THE MESSAGE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 15h 31m
BUDDY MILES: A Message To The People LP MERCURY RECORDS SRM1608 US 1970 NM-  USD $19.99 Buy It Now 15h 32m
12" BOOGIE Barbara Joyce LuLu 2000 Message In The Love USD $15.00 Buy It Now 15h 35m
Roger Hallmark Vulcan 10004 45rpm A Message To Khomeini Maharishi NR USD $3.99 Buy It Now 15h 36m
JOHN LANCHBERRY messager the two pigeons LP Mint- ASD 2700381 Audiophile DMM USD $17.50 Buy It Now 15h 46m
Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age [PA] by Public Enemy (CD, May-1994, Def Jam (USA)) USD $6.23 Buy It Now 15h 54m
FANTASTIC VIOLINAIRES A MESSAGE TO MY FRIENDS LP BLACK GOSPEL SOUL Jewel 0116 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 56m
CAROLE SERRAT Japan 1991 NM CD MESSAGE EN ROUGE sings by JAPANESE SONG YUMI ARAI USD $29.99 Buy It Now 16h 13m
Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age - Public Enemy (CD Used Very Good) USD $6.97 Buy It Now 16h 16m
SANDIE SHAW MESSAGE UNDERSTOOD 1965 VG+ CONDITION USD $5.25 [0 bids]
EDDY'S GROOP Message to the world So fine BT Puppy promo Tokens USD $11.99 Buy It Now 16h 32m
(CC761) Music Automatir, Message From Mars - 2011 DJ CD USD $7.55 Buy It Now 16h 40m
THE O'JAYS LP MESSAGE IN THE MUSIC PHILIDELPHIA INTERNATIONAL USD $7.99 Buy It Now 16h 48m
EVERLY BROTHERS, THE---TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY (Teens) USD $13.00 Buy It Now 17h 6m
AMY WINEHOUSE A Message To You Rudy (Live) COLOURED VINYL 7" 45 record NEW RARE! USD $30.04 Buy It Now 17h 6m
Heatseeker, World Wide Message Tribe, Excellent USD $5.94 Buy It Now 17h 20m
LOT 3 rap hip hop 12" GRANDMASTER FLASH Style New York New York Message EXC USD $9.95 Buy It Now 17h 25m
The Everly Brothers Take a Message to Mary 45 RPM USD $1.99 [0 bids]
ANTHONY HILL - A MESSAGE TO JESUS - NEW SEALED CD USD $12.95 Buy It Now 17h 45m
Message in a Bottle [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] by Gabriel Yared (CD... USD $3.95 Buy It Now 17h 50m

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"

Other sites in the MAC network: JazzMusicArchives.com — jazz music reviews and archives | MetalMusicArchives.com — metal music revuew and archives