MESSAGE

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

Search MESSAGE Message lyrics

Search MESSAGE Message tabs

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers
- Allan Murdoch / guitar
- Horst Stachelhaus / bass
- Manfred Von Bohr / drums, percussion

LP Nova 6.22213 / LP Decca SKL-R 5213

MESSAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MESSAGE Message Music

COLDPLAY X AND & Y CD SQUARE ONE WHITE SHADOWS A MESSAGE BRAND NEW NEVER PLAYED US $8.27 Buy It Now 1h 6m
INXS "I Send A Message" Great Oz 7" US $5.25 Buy It Now 1h 16m
AL GREEN (VOCALS) - AND THE MESSAGE IS LOVE: THE BEST OF AL GREEN - NEW CD US $12.78 Buy It Now 1h 19m
LP THE BEE GEES - "I've Gotta Get A Message To You" (1974) US $4.02 [0 bids]
The Message [1997] by 4Him (CD, Aug-1997, Verity) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Cappadonna Love is the Message ft Raekwon b/w We Know WU TANG CLAN 12" Hip Hop US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Club Nouveau cassette album - Listen To The Message US $6.12 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Gabriel's Message - Westwind Ensemble US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Hear {60s C&W Hillbilly} LOUVIN BROTHERS ~ I'm Glad That I'm Not Him / A Message US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Various Artists : The Message - The Roots Of Rap CD (2008) US $4.85 Buy It Now 2h 23m
THE PRETENDERS EXTENDED PLAY VINYL 12" EP SIRE MINI 3563 MESSAGE OF LOVE US $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Message in the Music - The Ashey Beedle Re-Edits - DOUBLE US $6.42 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Currulao,Currulao,Gough : Message From the Border CD (1996) US $2.04 Buy It Now 3h 11m
'80 MODERN SOUL/REGGAE LP JUNIOR TUCKER TAKE A MESSAGE ex ? US $170.00 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Bob Marley Message Poster Print (OTW 051) US $11.25 Buy It Now 3h 24m
AUGUSTUS PABLO East of the River Nile MESSAGE LP US $24.50 [4 bids]
Various Artists : The Message - The Roots Of Rap CD (2008) US $4.81 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Bee Gees 45 RPM Record-I've Gotta Get A Message To You US $1.00 [0 bids]
Grandmaster Flash and the Sugarhill Gang : The Message: The Best of Grandmaster US $6.39 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Love,Peace&happiness "(Only You)Message To The Establishment"Soul/Promo/45 RPM US $19.99 [0 bids]
Ray Charles A MESSAGE FROM THE PEOPLE US $9.89 Buy It Now 4h 7m
THE POLICE: EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE / Roxanne, Message in a Bottle / CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 4h 33m
RICHARD GROOVE HOLMES "Soul Message" orig '65 Prestige LP (mono/RVG) US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
EVERY LITTLE THING ~14 Message Every Balld Songs 2~ CD NEW $2.99 S/H US $13.89 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Club Nouveau Listen To The Message 12" LP US $3.19 Buy It Now 4h 55m
SANDIE SHAW Message Understood German Picture Sleeve US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 15m
MFSB - TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia) / Love Is The Message US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Ray Charles "A Message From The People" CASSETTE 1972 Tangerine GRT Hard Case US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE FANTASTIC VIOLINAIRES LP'S (2) Robert Blair "A Message to my Friends" US $14.95 [0 bids]
Andrae Crouch - Take The Message Everywhere [CD New] US $7.85 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Aya Ueto - Message [CD New] US $24.12 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message - CMRCD575 US $10.13 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Various Artists - The Message - The Roots Of Rap sugarhill gang melle mel (CD) US $1.61 [0 bids]
World Party - Message In The Box CD single (Ensign, 1990) with 3 non-LP cuts! US $8.03 Buy It Now 6h 22m
The Move - Message From The Country (NEW CD) US $14.07 Buy It Now 6h 22m
Electronic - Get The Message: The Best Of (NEW CD) US $14.07 Buy It Now 6h 22m
TETRACK Let's Get Started MESSAGE LP US $20.00 [9 bids]
MARC MAC - MESSAGE FROM SOULVILLE - NEW CD US $18.67 Buy It Now 6h 42m
Frederic Delarue - Dolphins A Message Of Love [CD New] US $21.98 Buy It Now 6h 44m
PROMO ONLY RED FLEXI / HOWARD JONES CHRISTMAS NEW YEARS MESSAGE / 7INCH PS US $299.99 Buy It Now 6h 46m
ELDER E. LOVEJOY EP JUST ONE WAY TRUE GOSPEL MESSAGE GUITAR BREAKS SOUL US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE REGENTS - SEE YOU LATER - A1/B1 - MESSAGE ON SLEEVE - 7" VINYL US $2.01 [0 bids]
Gods Last Message by AA Allen Lp US $19.00 [0 bids]
Electronic - Get The Message - The Best Of Elect NEW CD US $10.61 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Best of Mfsb:love Is the Message - Mfsb New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.49 Buy It Now 7h 31m
The Move - Message From The Country NEW CD US $10.61 Buy It Now 7h 32m
Spice Girls : 2 Become 1 exclusive gift pack cd with Xmas message postcard 1996 US $8.03 [0 bids]
MFSB ~ Love Is The Message LP ~ PIR ~ shrink! US $7.99 [0 bids]
MAYNARD FERGUSON: A Message From Birdland LP (sm corner bend) Jazz US $30.00 Buy It Now 7h 49m
TOPPER ZUKIE ~ VIEGO b/w A MESSAGE TO PORK EATERS ~ UK CACTUS 7" ~ ROOTS REGGAE US $56.34 Buy It Now 8h 6m
Get the Message by Art Blakey (CD, Jul-1995, Drive Archive) jazz drums US $2.99 [0 bids]
CD Single: Dance Floor Virus : Message In A Bottle US $2.40 [0 bids]
The O'Jays ?- Message In Our Music ? - 12" PROMO US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 31m
Message For The Mess Age - NRBQ (CD 1994) US $11.81 Buy It Now 8h 34m
Love 45603 A MESSAGE TO PRETTY/MY LITTLE RED BOOK Elektra Records 45rpm Vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 34m
INXS - I Send A Message / Mechanic - 1986 AUST oz Envelope Flip-top Cover 7in 45 US $7.99 [0 bids]
PRIME CUT: Message To The Ghetto / Mono (funk 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 51m
Nate James-The message-2005 promo cd single US $2.41 Buy It Now 8h 53m
Dolphins... a Message of Love by Frederic Delarue *New CD* US $19.06 Buy It Now 9h 5m
GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS 5 The Message LP Sugarhill Records with DL Card US $27.99 Buy It Now 9h 7m
VARIOUS ARTISTS**GOSPEL PRAISE: DUELS: MANY VOICES, ONE MESSAGE**CD US $6.95 Buy It Now 9h 7m
POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE LANDLORD A&M AMS 7474 GREEN VINYL STING NEW WAVE RARE US $6.70 [4 bids]
ARTHUR BAKER AND THE BACKBEAT DISCIPLES Message Is Love CD 3 Track 7" Mix B/w Cu US $8.44 Buy It Now 9h 9m
SPECIALS A MESSAGE TO YOU RUDY TWO TONE CHS TT 5 PAPER LABEL REGGAE SKA RARE 7" US $5.68 [2 bids]
SPECIALS MESSAGE TO YOU TWO TONE CDL TT 5001 TERRY HALL REGGAE SKA RARE ALBUM LP US $12.06 [2 bids]
J.R. Monterose: The Message (Prevue) - J.R. Monterose - Audio CD US $35.00 Buy It Now 9h 30m
Angel In Red - The Message - Tiger Records - 1986 US $10.80 Buy It Now 9h 33m
1236 PRINCE FAR I & CULTURE-MESSAGE FROM THE KING-CRY TUFF-REGGAE 45 7" US $99.00 [0 bids]
Christmas Message by Whalum,Kirk US $1.99 Buy It Now 9h 42m
THE POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE LANDLORD CLASSIC ROCK 7" POSTER SLEEVE US $5.15 [2 bids]
Tappa Zukie 7" 45 Message To Pork Eaters TEST PRESSING re HEAR REGGAE Veego US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 55m
THE POLICE - Message In A Bottle - NEW WAVE ROCK 45 - A&M Promo Copy US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 5m
DOCTOROLIVE DR OLIVE the rhythm of life Q BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE DOCTOR OLIVE US $9.75 Buy It Now 10h 13m
KENNY CLARK / FRANCY BOLAND - JAZZ IS UNIVERSAL / AFTER THIS MESSAGE NEW CD US $18.07 Buy It Now 10h 20m
Darrell Glenn Pompeii 66680 The Message US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Soulful Strings m- 7 Message to Michael / The Sidewinder US $9.75 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings [Box] by The Police (CD, Sep-1993,... US $10.00 [0 bids]
Rock 45 Jorney Message Of Love On Columbia US $7.00 Buy It Now 10h 54m
Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel - 12" Single Lot (White Lines & The Message) US $5.99 [0 bids]
The Gaylads - River Jordan / Message to My Girl (Coxsone) Ska 7 US $3.20 [0 bids]
ATSUMI HIRANO-JAZZ MESSAGE-JAPAN CD F08 US $27.50 Buy It Now 11h 10m
The O'JAYS LP PZ 34245 MESSAGE IN The MUSIC DESIRE ME + R EX- C EX- (SKU-3803) US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 16m
D.J. Rogers LP The Message Is Still The Same PROMO US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 25m
THE WHATNAUTS 45 Message From a Black Man / Dance to the Music A US $16.00 Buy It Now 11h 43m
VIC GARCIA-A MESSAGE FROM ABC 601 VG+/VG+ LP US $8.98 Buy It Now 11h 44m
49ERS The Message 12" Ps, 3 Tracks Club/Radio/Mars Plastic Mixes US $16.08 Buy It Now 11h 52m
Radio Show: BAPTIST HOUR 5 LP'S 10 30 MIN SHOWS CHRISTIAN MUSIC US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 55m
THE POLICE MESSAGE IN A BOX SET VERY GOOD CONDITION 100% COMPLETE US $17.00 [0 bids]
Kool And The Gang MUSIC IS THE MESSAGE De Lite Records NEW SEALED VINYL LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 11h 58m
Kool And The Gang MUSIC IS THE MESSAGE De Lite Records NEW Colored Vinyl LP US $13.99 Buy It Now 11h 58m
ARTHUR BAKER Message Is Love 12" Ps, 3 Tracks Cupid+7 Inch Mixes+Message Is Clu US $17.69 Buy It Now 11h 59m
DIONNE WARWICK 45 MESSAGE TO MICHAEL / HERE WHERE THERE IS LOVE US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 4m
Dionne Warwick: Here where there is / Message to michae 7" 45rpm vinyl record 5b US $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 5m
PRINCE FAR 1 - MESSAGE FROM THE KING NEW CD US $15.92 Buy It Now 12h 13m
Gene Eugene-The Music.The Message.The Memories CD(NEW)* US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 18m
THE METERS - MESSAGE TO THE METERS 7" ORIGINAL US US $10.00 Buy It Now 12h 26m
ELECTRONIC Get The Message 12" Ps, B/W Free Will US $14.47 Buy It Now 12h 27m
Eyehategod - Preaching The "End-Time" Message LP Gatefold Blue Vinyl 200 NEW US $39.99 Buy It Now 12h 31m
Songs from the Message: Way of Love by Various Artists (CD, May-1997, Word/Epic) US $4.99 Buy It Now 12h 37m
Message-From Books and Dreams German prog psych cd US $18.99 Buy It Now 12h 44m

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MESSAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Send comments to Progbear (BETA) | Report this review (#45681) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Send comments to Melomaniac (BETA) | Report this review (#71356) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Send comments to historian9 (BETA) | Report this review (#658769) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"