MESSAGE

Buy MESSAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Before Dawn (6:01)
2. Thoughts (5:40)
3. Is That The Way (4:12)
4. I Can See The World (3:15)
5. Waters(6:02)
6. Horroscope (3:28)
7. Back Home (4:50)
8. Train To Nowhere (4:00)

- Tom McGuigan: vocals, woodwinds, synthesizers

MessageMessage
Long Island 1995
$39.94

The Soldiers - Message to You (2011) USD $1.33 [0 bids]
The Lucy Show ?- New Message Big Time ?- ZB 41603 DJ Promo 7inch Vinyl Single USD $16.55 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Hear! Northern Soul Latin Promo 45 Dyna-Might - Sunshine Goddess / Message To My USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Maynard Ferguson - Message From Newport [New CD] Shm CD, Japan - Import USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
BEE GEES 7" old gold vinyl I'VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU 1968 1986 USD $7.60 [0 bids]
Grand Master Flash & The Furious Five The Message SHL117 Vinyl 12" Maxi-Single USD $13.23 [0 bids]
Teresa Teng - Enkano Message [New CD] Japanese Mini-Lp Sleeve, Hong Kong - Impor USD $27.92 Buy It Now 2h 9m
4him: Message Audio Cassette USD $6.57 Buy It Now 2h 16m
MISIA LOVE IS THE MESSAGE JAPAN CD BVCS-21014 2000 NEW USD $51.87 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Andrae Crouch and The Disciples - Take The Message Everywhere - New LP USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
NEW A MOTHER'S DAY MESSAGE YOU'RE STILL THE GREATEST GREETING GIFT CARD MUSIC CD USD $4.47 Buy It Now 2h 48m
The Police - Message in a Box (The Complete Recordings) (CD 1993) USD $29.20 [0 bids]
Rock Lp Kelly Willard Message From A King On Willing Heart USD $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
STEVE MCDONALD - Message - CD - **Mint Condition** - RARE USD $92.95 Buy It Now 3h
LOS INHUMANOS 9 CANCIONES WITH MESSAGE Y UNA RECAO CASSETTE TAPE CINTA SAPPHIRE USD $8.65 Buy It Now 3h
GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE - The Message - CD Album *Expanded Edition* USD $9.61 Buy It Now 3h 2m
THE EVERLY BROTHERS TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY/POOR JENNY CADENCE 1364 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Rock Sealed 12" Lp The Lucy Show New Message On Big Time USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Message - Kristen Clark (CD Used Very Good) USD $19.47 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Message By 4him (audio - 1996) - CD - **Mint Condition** USD $12.95 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Message By 4him (audio - 1996) - CD - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** USD $39.75 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Take A Message To Mary Don Cherry Monument Vinyl LP Album USD $7.95 Buy It Now 3h 47m
THE LUCY SHOW "NEW MESSAGE" PROMO (1987) 12" SYNTH GOTH *I combine shipping* USD $2.97 Buy It Now 3h 49m
LONESTAR I'm Already there w/ RARE MESSAGE FROM HOME EDIT PROMO DJ CD single USD $23.74 Buy It Now 4h
EVERLY BROTHERS SINGLE, TAKE A MESSAGE TO MARY/ POOR JENNY USD $2.99 Buy It Now 4h
Glitterbox Love Is The Message [CD] USD $14.55 Buy It Now 4h 3m
STING Russians / Gabriel's Message 45 with PicSleeve THE POLICE USD $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
The Message. Soul, Funk And Jazzy Grooves From Mainstream Records (CDBGPD 223) USD $13.20 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Reggae/Ska 12" - LACKSLEY CASTELL - SPEAK SOFTLY/MESSAGE TO MY WOMAN* HEAR USD $10.60 [0 bids]
BUDDY MILES A MESSAGE TO THE PEOPLE LP 1970 MERCURY GATEFOLD USD $1.50 [1 bids]
RAY CHARLES - Message From People - CD - **Excellent Condition** - RARE USD $68.95 Buy It Now 4h 19m
FATHER MACHADO A Message To The Children LP Spanish kids Christian songs USD $2.25 Buy It Now 4h 21m
BEE GEES 45 I've Gotta Get A Message To You / Kitty Can - NM USD $7.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
The Lucy Show LP 12" single New Message 1987 Big Time records USD $12.95 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Pretenders - Message of Love - 198 Real Records ARE15 Picture Sleeve in Ex/Ex USD $7.90 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Unable to Leave Message on a Delicate Matter by Wintermittens (CD Dec-1997 Bent) USD $2.97 Buy It Now 5h
ANDRE MESSAGER "LES DEUX PIGEONS BALLET SUITE/VERONIQUE OVERTURE" WL 5412 12" LP USD $4.17 Buy It Now 5h 5m
MFSB Love Is The Message LP 1974 Vinyl Record ZQ 32707 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
(GH933) Switches, Message From Yuz - 2006 DJ CD USD $3.97 Buy It Now 5h 13m
I-Kon - Got A Message - Tp Records - 1999 #752252 USD $2.64 Buy It Now 5h 22m
The Police USA Promo CD Selections From Message In A Box Hard to Find Promo CD USD $13.95 Buy It Now 5h 24m
I've Gotta Get A Message To You Comp Vinyl (Bee Gees - 1978) CN 2028 (ID:15060) USD $5.95 Buy It Now 5h 26m
The O'Jays Message In The Music NEAR MINT Philadelphia Records Vinyl LP EX COND USD $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 32m
STING RUSSIANS / GABRIEL'S MESSAGE 45 NM A&M AM-2799 1985 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 5h 50m
TESTED, INSPECTED - Barry White - The Message is Love - 8 track tape USD $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Kellogg's Classic Rock CD single The Police Bryan Adams Message in A Bottle 1998 USD $3.97 Buy It Now 5h 50m
DJ SHADOW - THE PRIVATE PRESS / Q-BURNS ABSTRACT MESSAGE - OEUVRE - 2 x CD USD $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 18m
THE MESSAGE BIBLE - CD -EUGENE PETERSON - 11 CD Set Job - Song Of Songs USD $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Spoken Word EP - Tom Clay - Tom's Personal Message / Little Dancing Doll +2 USD $2.00 Buy It Now 6h 52m
Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings [Box] by The Police (CD, Sep-1993, 4 D USD $6.29 [0 bids]
Message In A Box: The Complete Recordings [4 CD Box Set] by The Police (1993) USD $21.99 Buy It Now 7h 48m
Blue Magic - Message From The Magic LP New Sealed SD 38-104 1978 Vinyl Record USD $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 49m
HOWLIN' WOLF: Message To The Young LP Sealed (corner cut, price sticker on shri USD $75.00 Buy It Now 8h 7m
MISTRESS OF THE DEAD - Henriette's Message CD 2011 - Funeral Doom UDOM USD $6.64 [0 bids]
EYEHATEGOD - PREACHING THE "END-TIME" MESSAGE USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $15.05 Buy It Now 8h 38m
KONSTRUKT & BROTZMANN,PETER-MESSAGE: LIVE AT KARGART VINYL LP NEW USD $45.14 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Invisible Airline by Q-Burns Abstract Message (CD,2001,Astralwerks) See Pictures USD $2.24 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Genesis The Book of Origins An 18 Message Series by Dale Ebel (CD) USD $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 48m
Radioshark - Message from the Creeps [New CD] USD $12.47 Buy It Now 8h 50m
Message In A Box: The Complete Recordings [4 CD Box Set] USD $22.90 Buy It Now 9h 12m
France Gall Sylvie Vartan Japan Message Interview Flexi Teen Beat Magazine Ye Ye USD $99.99 Buy It Now 9h 35m
THE GORILLAS - MESSAGE TO THE WORLD VINYL LP 13 TRACKS CLASSIC ROCK USD $33.58 Buy It Now 9h 38m
Lot of 3 NEW SEALED Perry Stone Message of the Month Cd's Jan,Sept 2015,Feb 2016 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 49m
BARTOS, KARL-I`m The Message (Matthew Herbert Mix) (12IN) (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $13.56 Buy It Now 10h 23m
GOSPEL HARMONY BOYS Message of Love 1991 (SIGNED/Autograph) CD Rare Southern USD $43.16 Buy It Now 10h 35m
NEW CD ??? JJ Lin ??? Message In A Bottle (Original Artist&Recording) New Album USD $24.50 Buy It Now 10h 38m
JULIO IGLESIAS 7" PS Japan NATHALIE w/message s3770 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 10h 44m
SANDIE SHAW - MESSAGE UNDERSTOOD 7" EP OZ ASTOR PRESS female vocals girl groups USD $14.80 Buy It Now 11h 12m
Q-Burns Abstract Message . Feng Shui . CD USD $3.00 Buy It Now 11h 23m
Arthur Baker, Backbeat Disciples, Al Green - The Message is Love (12" Single) USD $2.64 Buy It Now 11h 27m
SOHO - Message From My Baby ~ 12" Single PS USD $4.78 Buy It Now 11h 39m
Club Nouveau - Listen To The Message JAPAN CD 1988 9trk 32XD-1053 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 41m
The Police - Message in a Box (The Complete Recordings) 1993 4xcd + book USD $26.54 Buy It Now 11h 55m
ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO: A JACKSON IN YOUR HOUSE/MESSAGE TO O.FOLKS... 2 CD NEW+ USD $23.19 Buy It Now 12h 36m
THE SONS OF TRUTH - A MESSAGE FROM THE GHETTO CD NEW+ USD $20.26 Buy It Now 13h 3m
ALBUM 1 CD SUBLIMINAL VARIOUS GET THE MESSAGE VOL 1 Ref 0153 USD $20.01 Buy It Now 13h 32m
Burt Bacharach:Are you there (with another girl)/Message to Michael: Popcorn USD $15.93 Buy It Now 13h 41m
ELECTRONIC GET THE MESSAGE 5 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $26.53 [0 bids]
Burt Bacharach:Are you there (with another girl)/Message to... A USD $10.62 Buy It Now 13h 42m
WORLD PARTY - Message In The Box - 12" Single PS USD $3.19 Buy It Now 13h 46m
Vinyl LP Records AC-10004 Skah Shah # 1 - Message w/OBI USD $31.90 Buy It Now 13h 54m
CURTIS AMY PAUL BRYANT Blues Message LP JAPAN TOSHIBA PACIFFIC JAZZ PJ-0009 OBI^ USD $24.99 Buy It Now 14h
SAMMY LEVI - Love Is The Message ~ 12" Single WHITE LABEL USD $11.93 Buy It Now 14h 10m
The Postal Service T-shirt - All sizes in stock : send message after purchase USD $14.58 Buy It Now 14h 10m
O'Jays CD 1976 Message in the Music USD $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 19m
Ray Charles, A Message from The People, Album, (Vinyl) USD $13.20 [0 bids]
[CD] Hokkori Horori Kodomo no Ii Uta Atsumemashita -Sotsugyou & Message Song- USD $42.59 Buy It Now 14h 30m
Illinois Jacquet w/Kenny Burrell/The Message/Cadet/CA722/Mint USD $29.99 Buy It Now 14h 42m
THE BEE GEES 7" VINYL - I'VE GOT TO GET A MESSAGE TO YOU USD $2.99 [0 bids]
MELLE MEL & DUKE BOOTEE ~ Message II (Survival) ~ 12" Single PS USD $4.78 Buy It Now 15h 51m
Shane Macgowan T-shirt All sizes : send message after purchase / pogues mcgowen USD $14.58 Buy It Now 16h 8m
STING Russians / Gabriel's Message 45 - Police USD $7.38 Buy It Now 16h 25m
Message From Newport MAYNARD FERGUSON CD USD $17.39 Buy It Now 16h 35m
Rare Paul Mauriat Japan CD-Message D'Amour USD $37.48 Buy It Now 16h 50m
7" single; the POLICE; MESSAGE in a BOTTLE; shaped picture disc; rarity; USD $57.86 Buy It Now 17h
JMO ~ Jack Is The Message ~ 12" Single USD $3.19 Buy It Now 17h
Art Blakey - Jazz Messengers!!!!! / A Jazz Message (NEW CD) USD $8.61 Buy It Now 17h 8m
Messager - The Two Pigeons - Mackerras ROHO - CFP - CFP 40298 - Vinyl LP USD $9.49 Buy It Now 17h 11m
Compassion: Special Message from His Holiness The XIVth Dalai Lama (Audio CD) USD $14.06 Buy It Now 17h 13m
GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE feat MELLE MEL & DUKE BOOTEE - The Message USD $13.32 Buy It Now 17h 16m

More places to buy MESSAGE music online Buy MESSAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MESSAGE Message ratings distribution

MESSAGE Message reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars Less hard-rock, more jazzy and song-oriented than FROM BOOKS AND DREAMS. Some of the tunes (e.g.: "Horrorscope") tend to be a bit silly, but some others are pretty strong ("Before The Dawn", "Waves"). Allan Murdoch's guitar tone has grown to become quite unique, more clear-toned with lots of tremolo and reverb. He is easily at the forefront of the band's sound. There's some uncredited keyboards and female vocals on this album, too.

Something of a transitional release, decent but hardly essential.

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars This album being the only one I know from Message, I cannot compare it to their previous or latter offerings. Therefore, my review will not be biased by the other albums.

What an album it is! Opener "Before Dawn" sets the mood perfectly, fading in with a superb melody courtesy of McGuigan on woodwinds. Every instrument sounds just fantastic, in my humble opinion (listen to that bass sound!!!). The middle section of the song, complete with breathtaking strings arrangments, is superb.

"Thoughts" reminds me of a Moody Blues song (sorry, forgot the title!) with its catchy hook all the way through. The intro is a perfect exemple of McGuigan's mastery of the saxophone, sending shivers down your spine with his stretched notes finishing the intro... You have to be amazed at the solo section, with all instruments building a frantic crescendo in intensity, double-bass drums beat included (and we were in 1975!). Great entertaining song!

The jazzy "Is That the Way" starts off as a ballad building into a somewhat complex mid-tempo middle section with a nice sax solo. Tom McGuigan plays the role of "let down" lyrics wise, sneering his feelings towards the woman object of his dismay... Tongue-in-cheek ballad, nicely done.

"I Can See the World" showcases what is one of the 2 best basslines of the entire album. A wonderfully catchy song with a female chorus. Very upbeat !

"Waters" is definitely my favorite here. The tremolo used in Murdoch's guitar gives the song a weird feel. The main riff could have come from a Voivod or King Crimson album, twisted and dissonnant. The bass line in the instrumental chorus section is just fantastic, Murdoch's offbeat guitar shuffle completing it perfectly, while Von Bohr just slams away as tight as one can be, all supporting McGuigan's wonderful saxophone intervention. Murdoch's solo here is the best of the album, with an octave-fuzz effect making it sound... well... insane!

"Horrorscope" is the funniest track on the album, where McGuigan laughs his butt out at horoscope and their readers. Reminiscent of Gentle Giant, Free Hand, Interview period. Nice percussion jam in the middle.

"Back Home" is another great song (though probably my least favorite, which goes to show how much I appreciate this album), which, strangely enough, reminds me of Iron Maiden in places (listen to the twin harmony guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Album closer "Train to Nowhere" is my other favorite track. The guys really created the perfect train mood musically, and you just have to roll along with them.

All in all, this album never fails to put a smile on my face. I have been listening to it for 10 years now, and it still sounds as marvellous as when I first heard it. If I can find the other albums, I am sure to buy them all!

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars This self titled album MESSAGE really got me thinking. It wasn't the first album that I heard by them. First I stumbled upon the second album "From Books And Dreams" which blew my mind and only the last song "Dreams And Nightmares (Nighmares)" on that album kind of slowed things down for me, not making it the psychedelic/space/heavy/proto-metal masterpiece that it otherwise would be (strong 4 stars though).

After hearing such stuff I was prejudiced when I found this album which was a lot more commercial and less progressive or heavy (you kind of expect it when you see the cover); yet I couldn't find flaws honestly in it. This album really doesn't make me wanna nitpick it at all, it's really an enjoyable listen and from my side, replayed very often. The sound of the band has changed a lot since the debut and their subgenre here on PA barely applies. It's not completely without progressive roots, as for other music like this I was personally reminded of maybe something like heavy progsters BIRTH CONTROL but only after their most creative years, more around the "Increase" album era in 1977. This album by MESSAGE is pretty accessible like that, however, unlike BIRTH CONTROL, it's more jazzy, gives more space to saxophones than their previous efforts, and just frankly, they pull it of better. It's worthy to remind that MESSAGE is a British/German band where vocals belong to the British member. Now I'm not that picky about how strong an accent a singer has, but this may be a feature that gives pretty charming results which maybe wouldn't work if it was Germans who were singing a pop tune. For example "Is That The Way" is a very laid back jazzy ballad and even though it gets complicated in the middle, the rest of it really made me think of RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS for some reason; it's really one of those vintage gem songs that you wouldn't be surprised if it would turn up sampled in a hip hop song one of these days. There is also some humour in "Horrorscope" which also reminds me of BIRTH CONTROL.

Not their most progressive effort, but it is in competition for the best album. Unlike others, it's pretty even throughout and fun, and I have trouble separating highlights from the rest of the songs. Well, "Is That The Way" and "I Can See The World" with female backing vocals might be the lightweight ones, but it still isn't just background music. Weird how they failed to achieve mainstream success as this is pretty good. In any case, I recommend it. It's fun, healthy and good for you.

Post a review of MESSAGE "Message"