THE JANUARY TREE

Experimental/Post Metal

DeadSoul Tribe The January Tree  album cover

Buy DEADSOUL TRIBE Music
Studio Album, released in 2004

1. Spiders and Flies (6:01)
2. Sirens (4:28)
3. The Love of Hate (3:44)
4. Why? (6:42)
5. The Coldest Days of Winter (3:32)
6. Wings of Faith (4:38)
7. Toy Rockets (5:32)
8. Waiting for the answer (5:32)
9. Just Like a Timepiece (7:18)
10. Lady of Rain (3:35)

- Adel Moustafa / drums
- Roland Ivenz / bass
- Volker Wilschko / guitar

CD SPV / InsideOut #IOMACD 2089

DEADSOUL TRIBE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEADSOUL TRIBE The January Tree Music

A Lullaby for the DevilA Lullaby for the Devil
Limited Edition
Inside Out Music / SPV Recordings 2007

More places to buy DEADSOUL TRIBE music online Buy DEADSOUL TRIBE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEADSOUL TRIBE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEADSOUL TRIBE The January Tree ratings distribution

DEADSOUL TRIBE The January Tree reviews

Review by semismart
4 stars Having been tepidly appreciative of Deadsoul Tribe's sophomore effort, A Murder of Crows, I decided to pick up their junior release, The January Tree a few days ago and that was a great move if I do say so myself.

For me Deadsoul Tribe's strength is that they remind me of Tool, one of my favorite bands. They have a dark morose sound and lyrics, a similar disjointed, syncopated style, a heavy stop and go drum and guitar beat with unusual melodies, somewhat de- emphasizing the vocals for the sake of the strong instrumentation. That's not to say that, as a singer, Graves doesn't have his moments. He has a pleasant mid to high pitched voice and a decent style that together, with echo chambers and dual tracks, happens to compliment the music.

For those familiar with Tool, you know that the music is all but impossible to describe except in generalities, as is Deadsoul Tribe. The first six tracks from "Spiders And Flies" to "Toy Rockets" have a feel strongly reminiscent of Maynard James Keenan, either Tool or A Perfect Circle, except track five "The Coldest Day of Winter". "Spiders And Flies" and "The Love of Hate" feature heavy bass drums and a crunchy guitar throughout. "Sirens" starts with a little jazzy guitar intro, then settles in but finishes with a slow ethereal ending, on "Why" we have more crunchy guitars and heavy drums but it slows down in the middle and Graves is accompanied by an acoustic guitar building to a cresendo.

"Wings of Faith", my personal favorite, has a snappy medium fast beat but is sung at half speed. It also features at least one or two female background singers, a nice touch. "Toy Rockets" is similar to most of the songs except it features a flute, another nice touch.

While I'm not yet quite ready to describe, The January Tree as 'sensational', after only a few listens, it is nonetheless, a very strong effort, warranting a five star rating.

If you have never heard of these guys or know little of them, I suspect that is about to change!

Send comments to semismart (BETA) | Report this review (#33337) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 01, 2004

4 stars Devon Graves formally known as Buddy Lachey from PSYCHOTIC WALTZ is such an incredible talent, lyrics are very important to him and he actually wrote the lyrics to this album first, then created the music to go with them.

This record reminded me a little of the "Mosquito" record from PSYCHOTIC WALTZ, I really like the heavy bass and guitars especially on the first song "Spiders And Flies", this is heavy duty ! "Sirens" doesn't disappoint either and has a catchy chorus.

"Why" features some great riffs and a nice solo as well. More beautiful guitar and bass on "Wings Of Faith" another favourite. We finally have some flute on "Toy Rockets". "Waiting For The Answer" features a dark and heavy undercurrent, and is slower paced. "Just Like A Timepiece" is an old Buddy Lachey song that Devon reworked, it features piano and flute and is the longest song on the record.

This is a powerful record that I highly recommend.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#95554) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 23, 2006

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Third album for Deadsoul Tribe in an equal amount of years. There are few bands with such continuously flowing output. It's a good thing for the fans but slightly frustrating for critical nitpickers like myself. Deadsoul Tribe revolves around the powerful voice of Devon Graves but lacks the creativity and musicality to keep such a huge output interesting.

The album starts interesting enough with Spiders and Flies, heavily in dept to Tool but with far more accomplished vocals, both in expression and in melodic feel. The opening bars of Sirens even bring Psychotic Waltz back, but after 30 seconds, we're back to unremarkable and slowly plodding Sabbath/Tool riffs, the vocal melody saves the song though. With the next couple of songs, The Love of Hate and Why?, the mid-paced monotony of the material creates a weary mood and the lack of character makes the songs dwindle in anonymity. The Coldest Days of Winter is a charming little song, Wings of Faith tries to add an industrial angle but remains flat and dull. Toy Rockets and Waiting for the Answer are two more mediocre and faceless songs. Just Like a Timepiece is a rather ordinary ballad that brings Devon's Jethro Tull influences to the fore. Lady of the Rain ends the album with more balladry

Deadsoul Tribe is basically a one man project and not a real band, Devon Graves is an excellent vocalist but I'm not much impressed with his rudimentary guitar playing and song writing. He is only accompanied by Adel Moustafa, a deserving drummer but he approaches all songs too much in the same way. With hardly 15 minutes of great material and 35 dreary mediocrity 2 stars seem more appropriate then 3 but I'll round up for the nice artwork.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#258755) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 01, 2010

3 stars My interest for Deadsoul Trime arised from the fact, that I know Deon Graves as Buddy Lackey from my favourite progressive metal band Psychotic Waltz. Another fact is that this is still my only Deadsoul Tribe recording, so you can guess, that I am much less impressed by DST than by the quintett ... (read more)

Report this review (#269672) | Posted by Norbert | Friday, March 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Thick and powerful intellectual metal. This is Deadsoul Tribe's release The January Tree. The songs flow well together, and it is best if you listen to the album in their entirety. The lyrics are imagery-laden, and interesting. Devon Greaves is a wonderful vocalist. He gives me goosebumps eac ... (read more)

Report this review (#212465) | Posted by Alitare | Saturday, April 25, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Since listening to, and loving "A Murder of Crows" (the first DST album I had heard, after my dad's recommendation, as he saw them live as Threshold's support act.), I've become a big fan of Dead Soul Tribe and Devon Graves in general. This was the third album I heard ("The Dead Word" being th ... (read more)

Report this review (#85582) | Posted by Tailscent | Thursday, August 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This album (I don't have the first two) does not apply to the 5 star option "Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music" due to it's not all too original. I hear little hints of Psychotic Waltz, and Tool in it. If you want repetition through "Progressive Metal" (Not that Dead Soul Tribe is ... (read more)

Report this review (#37739) | Posted by The Ryan | Sunday, June 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Brilliant is nothing less than what this album deserves. The "The January Tree" was my first DST album and probaly not my last. It took me a few listins to fully appreciate the album and then I was hooked. You can never listin to this masterpiece to many times. Devon Graves does a great job in ... (read more)

Report this review (#33340) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEADSOUL TRIBE "The January Tree "