AUTO RECONNAISSANCE

The Tangent Auto Reconnaissance album cover

Buy THE TANGENT Music
Studio Album, released in 2020

1. Life on Hold (5:34)
2. Jinxed in Jersey (15:59)
3. Under Your Spell (5:51)
4. The Tower of Babel (4:36)
5. Lie Back & Think of England (28:24)
6. The Midas Touch (5:54)
7. Proxima (bonus track) (12:30)

- Andy Tillison / vocals, keyboards, composer, producer, lyrics
- Jonas Reingold / bass
- Theo Travis / saxophone, flute, producer
- Luke Machin / guitar
- Steve Roberts / drums

The follow-up to "Proxy" (2018)

Cover: Ed Untisky
Label: InsideOut
Format: Vinyl, CD, Digital
Release date: August 21, 2020
Limited edition CD Digipak (with bonus track), Gatefold 2LP + CD + LP Booklet

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to projeKct for the last updates

Buy THE TANGENT Auto Reconnaissance Music

More places to buy THE TANGENT music online

THE TANGENT Auto Reconnaissance ratings distribution

THE TANGENT Auto Reconnaissance reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Reviewer
4 stars All you really need to know about this album can be summed up in this quote from Andy Tillision, who said, "Possibly one of a very few albums to be influenced by ELP, The Isley Brothers, Steely Dan, Aphex Twin, National Health, Rose Royce, Squarepusher and Return to Forever that will be released this summer". I must confess I had to google Squarepusher, but while I have plenty of ELP, Steely Dan and National Health in my collection, and I have a nodding acquaintance with Return to Forever, the others have never interested me so I will have to take his word for it. Of what there is no doubt whatsoever is that this is a progressive album in the very truest sense of the word. There are plenty of Canterbury musical references in particular, and tracks such as the epic "Jinxed in Jersey" show here are a band who are consistently refusing to conform to what anyone really think they should be doing, even from those within the prog scene. Andy's storytelling is incredibly vivid, and one can imagine him undertaking the journey he describes, bringing the characters to life.

One has no idea where the music is going to lead from one minute to the next, as they treat progressive rock as an ideal as opposed to a style, no Genesis or Pink Floyd clones these, rather The Tangent is continuing to push boundaries just like it used to be. We can go from pleasant gentle harmony to a Hammond being ripped to pieces with a guitar hard over the top, no drums to a driving beat, electronics to quiet, one just never knows. We have the same line-up on this album as the last one, and the quintet are obviously comfortable with each other, egging each other on with layers that pay repeated playing and deep listening. The Tangent are undoubtedly one of the most interesting progressive bands around, and as someone who has followed Andy's career with keen interest since Parallel or 90 Degrees all I can say is that this is yet another outstanding album.

3 stars The Tangent is one of those bands where you never know what they will bring to the table. Since The Music That Died Alone from 2003, which is to this day my favorite album from the band, they roamed trough various sub genres of prog and delivered cool music to the listener. Auto Reconnaissance i ... (read more)

Report this review (#2480203) | Posted by prog_traveller!! | Thursday, November 26, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars My two favourite albums for this pandemic year which appears to have reduced the available new music in the year so far, are Pendragon's Love Over Fear and The Tangent's Auto Reconnaissance. The two albums couldn't be more different but great melodies are what they both share. The music of The Tange ... (read more)

Report this review (#2442233) | Posted by CeeJayGee | Saturday, August 29, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Another strong candidate for the album of the year. I really think this is one of the best albums composed by this band. However, I am a little dissapointed because while i love the shorter tracks, I feel that the two longer ones are overlong and some of the ideas could have been left out, especiall ... (read more)

Report this review (#2440696) | Posted by Soul2Create | Monday, August 24, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The Tangent is one of the best prog creators of the new millenium, but for my second most expected album of the year, I'm a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong: the new album is very good but I think my expectations were too high (5 stars maybe ?!?). I love all the jazzy touches of the record, I ... (read more)

Report this review (#2439609) | Posted by emisan | Thursday, August 20, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE TANGENT "Auto Reconnaissance"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.