REALM

The Bloody Mallard Realm album cover

Buy THE BLOODY MALLARD Music
Studio Album, released in 2020

1. Haemoglobin (11:24)
2. Subject To Entropy (4:22)
3. Reversion (2:10)
4. Noble Rot (4:55)
5. Ceremonious Synapses (i) (6:52)
6. Ceremonious Synapses (ii) (6:22)
7. Dawn (3:12)

- Tom Walding / guitar
- Jake Bradford-Sharp / drums
- Raihan Ruben / bass

LP Onslaught Music - ONSLP017 (2020, UK) Limited Edition
Digital album (May 8th, 2020)

Thanks to rdtprog for the addition
and to projeKct for the last updates

Buy THE BLOODY MALLARD Realm Music

More places to buy THE BLOODY MALLARD music online

THE BLOODY MALLARD Realm ratings distribution

THE BLOODY MALLARD Realm reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Reviewer
3 stars I have been a fan of Matt Stevens from TFATD pretty much since his first release, and a new TFATF album is always a source of excitement for me, so when he dropped me an email asking me if I would be interested in hearing an instrumental band he was helping out I was immediately intrigued. He described them as being for fans of King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Baroness, Yob and Elder producing heavy psychedelic/alt/prog stuff, instrumentals, and I can certainly see where he is coming from. They are the brainchild of guitarist Tom Walding, who brought in drummer Jake Bradford-Sharp and bassist Raihan Rubin and worked with Jarred Hearman (Katy B, Wretch 32, Mammal, John Butler Trio, The Prodigy, Slipknot) to soundboard the sessions. The result is something which is often intense, distorted and powerful, yet also containing a simplicity and directness.

They can be powering along one minute, crunching out the power riffs and then they can move into something far more delicate. Their sound is quite doom-laden, with drums providing the cut through (loads of great fills and different approaches from Bradford-Sharp), and they sometimes use feedback as a drone, while there is also room for acoustic guitar and a bass being played high on the neck. There is a lot of confidence in the music and it certainly does not seem like a debut album. It takes a lot of balls to get out there and play instrumentally, and I can certainly see why Matt Stevens is interested as I can see them sharing a lot of the same fanbase. Softer and gentler numbers such as "Reversion" are a musical mouthwash for the ears, a reset so that the heaviness can be fully appreciated when it returns. I get the impression from what I have read they haven't played live, but that is something they want to address when the current situation is over and I can certainly hear why they have already been booked by HRH Prog for 2021. Instrumental and heavy, this is well worth discovering.

3 stars [Originally published at The Progressive Aspect] The Bloody Mallard are a new band for me. The tags on their Bandcamp page indicate, in various permutations, that the music will be heavy, psychedelic and progressive. The band's website states that "musical influences can be heard from bands Kin ... (read more)

Report this review (#2478067) | Posted by nick_h_nz | Saturday, November 21, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE BLOODY MALLARD "Realm"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.