I'M GOING TO DO WHAT I WANNA DO: LIVE AT MY FATHER'S PLACE 1978

Captain Beefheart

RIO/Avant-Prog

Captain Beefheart I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 album cover

Buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Music
Live, released in 2000

1. Tropical Hot Dog Night (4:36)
2. Nowadays a Woman's Gotta Hit a Man (5:07)
3. Owed T'Alex (5:20)
4. Dropout Boogie (3:13)
5. Harry Irene (3:46)
6. Abba Zaba (3:44)
7. Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles (4:12)
8. Old Fart at Play (2:26)
9. Well (3:55)
10. Ice Rose (3:56)
11. Moonlight on Vermont (3:52)
12. The Floppy Boot Stomp (4:19)
13. You Know You're a Man (3:26)
14. Bat Chain Puller (5:55)
15. Apes-Ma (0:47)
16. When I See Mommy I Feel Like a Mummy (6:04)
17. Veteran's Day Poppy (9:11)
18. Safe as Milk (0:42)
19. Suction Points (4:41)

Search CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 lyrics

Search CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 tabs

- Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) / vocals
- Jeff Moris Tepper / guitar
- Richard Redus / guitar, accordion
- Bruce Fowler / trombone
- Eric Drew Feldman / bass
- Robert Williams / drums, percussion

CD Rhino Handmade 7741 (2000) / CD Rhino 77741 (2003)

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 Music

Trout Mask ReplicaTrout Mask Replica
Reprise / Ada 1990
Spotlight Kid & Clear SpotSpotlight Kid & Clear Spot
Reprise / Ada 1990
Doc at the Radar StationDoc at the Radar Station
Remastered
Astralwerks 2006
Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
Import · Remastered
Hi Horse Records 2012
Vinyl$16.60
Harpos Detroit Dec 11th 1980Harpos Detroit Dec 11th 1980
United States Dist 2014
MU - MU || 1971 USA WEST COAST PSYCHEDELIA LP RE CAPTAIN BEEFHEART , FANKHAUSER US $29.99 Buy It Now 45m 35s
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - THE BUDDAH YEARS 2006 UK CD * NEW * US $11.86 Buy It Now 1h
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART AND HIS MAGIC BAND "SAFE AS MILK" BUDDAH BDS 5001 12" LP PSYCH US $79.98 Buy It Now 1h 5m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND Safe As Milk CD RE 7 BONUS TRAX BUDDHA SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND - Safe As Milk - CD CLACD 234 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND - Unconditionally Guaranteed - CD US $11.69 Buy It Now 1h 32m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND - The Mirror Man Sessions - CD US $11.69 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Captain Beefheart "Live 'n' Rare" IMPORT 2x CD (clear spot safe as milk) US $35.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Captain Beefheart "Prime Quality Beef" CD (clear spot safe as milk live n rare) US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 24m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART SPOTLIGHT KID COLORED VINYL LP SEALED US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart/Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band... US $5.99 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart - Abba Zabba - Cassette Tape - Pre-Owned - Zappa US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica On Warner Brothers Reissue US $17.50 [7 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND SAFE AS MILK LP ON BUDDAH! US $75.00 Buy It Now 5h
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART "AND THE SPOTLIGHT KID" REPRISE RECORDS MS-2050 US $25.00 Buy It Now 6h 36m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - SAFE AS MILK (REISSUE) NEW CD US $27.95 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Vinyl LP British Pressing 1998 - Captain Beefheart - Unconditionally Guaranteed US $15.00 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Music in Sea Minor DOW 15 Long Play 10" UK US $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 38m
* CAPTAIN BEEFHEART doc at the radar station QIAG-70020 JAPAN SHM-CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 58m
^ CAPTAIN BEEFHEART mirror man BVCM-35627 JAPAN MINI LP CD US $79.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Captain Beefheart The Best Of Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band CD Blues 2002 N US $10.17 Buy It Now 14h 25m
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Mirror Man Sessions [CD New] US $6.28 Buy It Now 16h 25m
Captain Beefheart - Live At Bickershaw Festival 1972 - OZITCD9006 US $20.98 Buy It Now 17h 34m
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) - CDVR2149 US $9.73 Buy It Now 17h 39m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - THE DOCUMENT (CD+DVD) - CDDVD34 US $19.04 Buy It Now 17h 41m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND-TROUT MASK REPLICA-Rare Psych Blues Album US $129.99 [0 bids]
The Buddah Years by Captain Beefheart (CD, Feb-2006, Sony BMG) US $4.99 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - HARPOS DETROIT DEC 11TH 1980 - GZO104CD US $20.91 Buy It Now 21h 36m
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Lost Broadcasts [Vinyl New] US $25.45 Buy It Now 21h 36m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & MAGIC BAND: Translucent Fresnel : Live 72/73-the Nan True's US $40.00 Buy It Now 22h 52m
Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk - Original UK Pye Pressing - Stunning! US $16.96 [2 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - THE MIRROR MAN SESSIONS [886972463629] - NEW CD US $3.31 Buy It Now 23h 24m
Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band "Shiny Beast" BSK-3256 - Colored Vinyl US $20.00 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Strictly Pe NEW CD US $8.33 Buy It Now 23h 54m
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Best Of (th NEW CD US $5.96 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - MIRROR MAN SESSIONS NEW CD US $10.58 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart - An Ashtray Heart UK CD Live 1981 show US $16.68 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART best batch yet USA 2-LP limited edition LIVE 1981 US $55.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MAGIC BAND**PLAYS THE MUSIC OF CAPTAIN BEEFHEART: LIVE IN LONDON 2013**CD US $16.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - The Lost Broadcasts NEW LP US $23.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Unconditionally Guaranteed Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band UK Import CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band Plastic Factory/Where There's Woman 45 w/PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DENNY KING - Evil Wind Is Blowing (1972) BLUES CD Captain Beefheart US $10.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart - Rarest Previously Unreleased 1970s Live & Studio [Vinyl New] US $33.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Bongo Fury by Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention/Captain Beefheart (CD,... US $8.99 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART AND HIS MAGIC BAND Mirror Man LP frank zappa pere ubu can US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk [CD New] US $5.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band "Safe As Milk" 1999 Buddha Used CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band "Mirror Man" BDS-5077 - Colored Vinyl US $20.00 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART**SAFE AS MILK**VINYL US $10.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART-SAFE AS MILK-SIMPLY VINYL SVLP 122 LIMITED UK NEW SEALED 2LP US $31.98 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART-UNCONDITIONALLY GUARANTEED -VINYL LP RECORD-ITALY IMPORT-I US $29.92 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Electric Poetry/Through the Eyes of Genius '80 Live 2 LP US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND " SHINY BEAST " WARNER US $8.99 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Top Secret (Sealed Import) US $1.25 [2 bids]
Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk [Vinyl New] US $24.93 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Collection with Rock, Jazz & Independent Frank Zappa Captain Beefheart Rare US $126.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk LP - BDS 5063 US $19.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Unconditionally Guaranteed [Remaster] by Captain Beefheart/Captain Beefheart... US $9.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart Clear Spot 180g vinyl record LP near mint NM M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Doc At The Radar Station (LP) (180 gram vinyl) US $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ZAPPA ALICE COOPER GTO's CAPTAIN BEEFHEART TIM BUCKLEY WILD MAN FISCHER more NM US $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART AND HIS MAGIC BAND**SAFE AS MILK (180 GRAM VINYL)**VINYL US $13.50 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND. 1993. US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART The Buddah Years Best Of Greatest Hits CD NEW US $8.40 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND - Bluejeans & Moonbeams - LP US $19.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band-180 GRAM SEALED LP US $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart Bongo Fury Music Cassette Barking Pumpkin Label US $23.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart And His Magi - Best Of (The EMI & Liberty Years) - 5393832 US $9.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart And His Magi - Strictly Personal - CZ529 US $11.58 Buy It Now 1 day
Gutbucket,Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band,Alexis Korner,Canned Heat,LP US $26.29 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART AND HIS MAGIC BAND SAFE AS MILK - VINYL LP RECORD BDS 5063 US $32.98 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" Straight 6420 US $9.99 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART abba zaba / yellow brick 45 BUDDAH - psych garage - LISTEN US $24.50 [2 bids]
ay/ handmade greetings / birthday card CAPTAIN BEEFHEART US $10.18 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart, Doc At The Radar Station, 1980, Mint-minus wax, stamped PROMO US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Translucent Fresnel [CD New] US $18.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Roots Of Captain Beefheart [CD New] US $8.90 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Lick My Decals Off Baby ORG 1970 STRAIGHT White Label PROMO LP US $49.49 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) [CD New] US $8.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart-Mirrorman Sessions-PSYCH BLUES-NEW2LP US $47.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Safe as Milk by Captain Beefheart/Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band (Vinyl,... US $11.99 [0 bids]
2 CAPTAIN BEEFHEART BADGES. 60's rock US $4.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart Spotlight Kid 180 Gram LP SEALED 180g US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & MAGIC BAND.ICE CREAM FOR CROW.UK 1986 VIRGIN REISSUE OVED121 US $5.07 [1 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Safe As Milk SEALED LP 180 Gram US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - UNCONDITIONALLY GUARANTEED NEW LP SEALED US $11.80 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART BLUEJEANS AND RARE ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV 1ST PRESS 1975 EX/EX US $34.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Captain Beefheart - 6 Track 7" EP Framed Picture Disc US $54.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band (NEAR MINT CONDITION) US $170.00 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band Trout Mask Replica, CD US $6.99 [1 bids]
Captain Beefheart Abba Zaba 7" RSD Black Friday BF Magic Band Yellow Brick Road US $9.98 Buy It Now 2 days
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND "DUST SUCKER" RARE OZIT 8006 COLORED WAX US $30.00 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart "Doc At The Radar Station" Original Virgin Pressing US $9.99 [1 bids]
Doc at the Radar Station by Captain Beefheart/Captain Beefheart US $7.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Captain Beefheart Clear Spot LP color vinyl reissue sealed frank zappa psych US $13.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Captain Beefheart - Grow Fins Vol. I ~ Rare 2LP Gatefold- 1999 Xeric W/ Booklet US $15.00 [8 bids]
Captain Beefheart - Grow Fins Vol. II ~ Rare 2LP Gatefold-1999 Xeric W/ Booklet US $15.80 [10 bids]
Captain Beefheart - Grow Fins Vol. III~ Rare 2LP Gatefold-2001 Xeric W/ Booklet US $15.50 [10 bids]
Fast 'N' Bulbous Tribut to Captain Beefheart LP XTC Sonic Youth Memranes UK US $22.95 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART music online Buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAPTAIN BEEFHEART DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 ratings distribution

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 reviews

Review by HolyMoly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl and Canterbury Teams
4 stars Beefheart and his freshly-assembled Magic Band hit the road to support the well-received comeback "Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)" album, and it's immediately clear that he's back on his game, as evidenced by this superbly presented live document by Rhino/Handmade. The repertoire relies heavily on "Shiny Beast" material, though it also favors the smoother strains of "Clear Spot" material (Nowadays a Woman's Got to Hit a Man, Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles) as well as a generous number of "Trout Mask Replica" songs (Well, Old Fart at Play, Moonlight on Vermont, Veterans Day Poppy), and a couple of songs that are even older (Dropout Boogie, Abba Zaba, Safe as Milk). The era of his misguided attempts at mainstream acceptance is wisely avoided. This catches Beefheart right in the midst of a turning point in his career, and I can only imagine how elated his fans were to see him back in such commanding form.

Sound quality is impeccable throughout, leading me to think this was professionally recorded with the intention of being released, or broadcast over the radio. It was an unusual-sounding lineup. Bruce Fowler (ex-Zappa) plays the bass parts on trombone (or "air bass" as Beefheart amusingly calls it), Robert Williams provides the kind of tom-heavy offbeat rhythms that are a hallmark of Beefheart's music, Eric Drew Feldman fills in the spaces jumping around between keyboards, guitar, and bass. Jeff "Moris" Tepper plays the slide with even more joyful abandon than his precursor Zoot Horn Rollo (if not as expertly). The band handles the Trout Mask material adequately, though they do seem more comfortable with the "Shiny Beast" material they helped to create.

Beefheart himself sounds confident and in charge. He communicates with the crowd with humor and good-natured sarcasm (best moment: yelling at an audience member for clapping in 4/4 time during "Well", an acapella piece that is in anything but 4/4). All in all, this is probably the best live document of Captain Beefheart you are likely to find. 4 stars.

Send comments to HolyMoly (BETA) | Report this review (#834014) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 06, 2012

4 stars This is a great concert of CB having a good time with both the band and the crowd. This live recording is of very good quality and makes me jealous that I was not part of the crowd. The band is hot and so is CB. If you are looking for a live set of CB and the Magic Band, this is the place to ... (read more)

Report this review (#124165) | Posted by FoonTheElder | Thursday, May 31, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is a fantastic live recording, FM broadcast. If you enjoy the Magic Band this is the best of the bootlegs for sound quality, and Don's on great form with the audience - the material from Shiny Beast Bat Chain Piller is heavily featured with great exuberance. Beware the other versions of t ... (read more)

Report this review (#50972) | Posted by | Sunday, October 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAPTAIN BEEFHEART "I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978"