I'M GOING TO DO WHAT I WANNA DO: LIVE AT MY FATHER'S PLACE 1978

Captain Beefheart

RIO/Avant-Prog

Captain Beefheart I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 album cover

Buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Music
Live, released in 2000

1. Tropical Hot Dog Night (4:36)
2. Nowadays a Woman's Gotta Hit a Man (5:07)
3. Owed T'Alex (5:20)
4. Dropout Boogie (3:13)
5. Harry Irene (3:46)
6. Abba Zaba (3:44)
7. Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles (4:12)
8. Old Fart at Play (2:26)
9. Well (3:55)
10. Ice Rose (3:56)
11. Moonlight on Vermont (3:52)
12. The Floppy Boot Stomp (4:19)
13. You Know You're a Man (3:26)
14. Bat Chain Puller (5:55)
15. Apes-Ma (0:47)
16. When I See Mommy I Feel Like a Mummy (6:04)
17. Veteran's Day Poppy (9:11)
18. Safe as Milk (0:42)
19. Suction Points (4:41)

Search CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 lyrics

Search CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 tabs

- Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) / vocals
- Jeff Moris Tepper / guitar
- Richard Redus / guitar, accordion
- Bruce Fowler / trombone
- Eric Drew Feldman / bass
- Robert Williams / drums, percussion

CD Rhino Handmade 7741 (2000) / CD Rhino 77741 (2003)

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 Music

Live 1966-67Live 1966-67
Keyhole 2014
Spotlight Kid & Clear SpotSpotlight Kid & Clear Spot
Reprise / Ada 1990
Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
Import · Remastered
Astralwerks 2006
Unconditionally GuaranteedUnconditionally Guaranteed
Import · Remastered
Emd Int'l 2006
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band- Trout Mask Replica 2LP NEW US $31.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Captain Beefheart 'Unconditionally Guaranteed' Mercury SRM-1-709 EX vinyl GD+ co US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND-ICE CREAM FOR CROW 1982 EPIC ARE 38274 EXC VG US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART i'm going to do USA 2-CD like new LIMITED EDITION live 1978 US $75.00 Buy It Now 3h 24m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART SAFE AS MILK MONO EDITION SUNDAZED CD US $16.98 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band Lick My Decals Off Baby 1970 Straight RS 6420 US $60.00 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND-THE MIRROR MAN SESSIONS-CD 1999-MINT US $6.62 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Captain Beefheart- Six Pack Six Track - 7" Pic Disc MINT US $50.00 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Lot of 25 Frank Zappa Mothers of Invention Captain Beefheart Vinyl Albums US $750.00 Buy It Now 8h 12m
FRANK ZAPPA -CAPTAIN BEEFHEART MOTHERS - BONGO FURY-LP/Vinyl/Record US $5.50 [6 bids]
HENRY KAISER-THE FIVE HEAVENLY TRUTHS-Drumbo from Captain Beefheart-RARE NEW CD! US $9.98 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART: The Rarest Previously Unreleased 1970's Live US $35.00 Buy It Now 9h 57m
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Bands - RailRoadism CD Live In The USA 72 - 81 US $21.99 Buy It Now 10h 14m
Captain Beefheart - Don's Birthday Party CD - Safe As Milk Bat Chain Puller US $21.99 Buy It Now 11h 38m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART 35"X25" INCH MOSAIC WALL POSTER TROUT MASK MAGIC BAND US $19.90 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Grow Fins: Rarities (1965-1982) [Box] [ECD] by Captain Beefheart (CD,... US $99.99 [0 bids]
MU- s/t (Vinyl- Lp) (Captain beefheart magic band) US $29.99 Buy It Now 12h 47m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Bluejeans & Moonbeams Remastered CD NEW & SEALED US $8.22 Buy It Now 14h 11m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Doc At The Radar Station Remastered CD NEW & SEALED US $8.22 Buy It Now 14h 16m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) Remastered CD NEW US $8.22 Buy It Now 14h 33m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Unconditionally Guaranteed Remastered CD NEW & SEALED US $8.22 Buy It Now 14h 36m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - AN ASHTRAY HEART NEW CD US $24.18 Buy It Now 14h 46m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART AND HIS MAGIC BAND, SHINY BEAST, LP 1980 HOLLAND A1/B1 EX/EX US $28.55 Buy It Now 16h 35m
Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band: Unconditionally Guaranteed - Vinyl LP US $15.00 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band: The Spotlight Kid - Vinyl LP US $22.00 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART 'LONDON 1974' CD US $16.58 Buy It Now 20h 57m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND - TRANSLUCENT FRESNEL (NAN TRUESHOLE NEW CD US $25.71 Buy It Now 21h 4m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART MAGIC BAND - SAFE AS MILK - CD - 1999 - BUDDHA - FREE SHIPPING US $5.49 Buy It Now 21h 9m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - RAREST UNRELEASED 1970S LIVE & STUDIO (COLOURED) NEW VINYL US $43.84 Buy It Now 21h 33m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND - Trout Mask Replica - 180 gram vinyl 2xLP US $38.99 Buy It Now 21h 59m
Captain Beefheart/Mirror Man.U.S Coloured Vinyl Factory Sealed LP. US $33.19 Buy It Now 22h 10m
Captain Beefheart - Best of and the Magic Band (2002) 28F US $7.45 Buy It Now 22h 15m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - SAFE AS MILK NEW VINYL US $38.72 Buy It Now 22h 34m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND Abba Zaba M- 45 RPM P/C M- US $12.00 Buy It Now 22h 58m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART AND THE MAGIC BAND Upon The My-O-My M- 45 RPM P/C M- US $12.00 Buy It Now 22h 59m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - CB & MB IN GB - NEW CD BOXSET US $61.28 Buy It Now 23h 9m
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica, Straight Reprise 2MS 2027 US 1979 VG+ NM- US $24.95 [0 bids]
I May Be Hungry but I Sure Ain't Weird: The Alternative Captain Beefheart by... US $5.99 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band SAFE AS MILK Buddah Records BDS 5001 Stereo US $49.99 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart - Spotlight Kid/clear Spot NEW CD US $7.92 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - TROUT MASK REPLICA (180GM) NEW VINYL US $47.26 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART A Carrot is as Close as a Rabbit Gets CD NEW SS PSYCH ROCK US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart "Bat Chain Puller" LP 2 Copies YELLOW & 180 Gram BLUE #d/50! US $35.69 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Trout Mask Replica 2xLP SEALED Scorpio reissue color vinyl US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - SAFE AS MILK NEW CD US $11.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Vinyl LP Record Double Album - CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Troutmask Replica US $58.09 Buy It Now 1 day
CD-Underground 4 Play-Flamin Groovies/Ducks Deluxe Captain Beefheart.. US $9.99 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & MAGIC BAND - TROUT MASK REPLICA 70 CD: AND NR MINT US $5.31 [2 bids]
Captain Beefheart "Bat Chain Puller" LP YELLOW VINYL #d/50 made! Frank Zappa US $21.69 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND "A&M SESSIONS" RARE PROMO WITH PRESS KIT US $35.00 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND "DUST SUCKER" RARE OZIT 8006 COLORED WAX US $25.00 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart TROUT MASK REPLICA New Sealed HQ 180 Gram VINYL 2 LP US $25.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Don Van Vliet Magic Band Live Bickershaw Festival 2xLP vinyl Captain Beefheart US $44.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Mirror Man Sessions, Captain Beefheart, New US $6.65 Buy It Now 1 day
Bongo Fury by Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention/Captain Beefheart (CD,... US $8.99 [0 bids]
Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band Audio CD US $10.71 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART ice cream for crow USA promo CD 2006 remaster US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Mirror Man 180 Gram LP SEALED US $14.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Best of Virgin & Liberty Years Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band Audio CD US $10.26 Buy It Now 1 day
NM captain beefheart and his magic band clear spot LP heavy vinyl ms2115 reprise US $33.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SLADE Lambchop PULP Captain Beefheart NAZZ comp CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DON VAN VLIET Captain Beefheart Son of dust sucker PURPLE Vinyl LP RSD 2014 NEW US $58.07 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART CLEAR SPOT RED COLORED VINYL LP SEALED BRAND NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - AN ASHTRAY HEART IMPORT 2LP LIMITED GREY VINYL GTAEFOLD US $41.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - DOC AT THE RADAR STATION [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART MIRROR MAN BUDDAH RECORDS BDS-5077 US $9.99 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART SAFE AS MILK BUDDAH RECORDS BDS-5063 US $9.99 [1 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART STRICTLY PERSONAL BLUE THUMB RECORDS BTS-1 US $10.49 [2 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART TROUT MASK REPLICA STRAIGHT RECORDS 2 LP SET STS-1053 US $31.00 [12 bids]
Bongo Fury by Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention/Captain Beefheart (CD,... US $3.99 [1 bids]
THE MAGIC BAND Oxford UK June 6 2005 Featuring Music of Captain Beefheart NEW US $8.49 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band - Poet rock mus... US $18.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart Mirror Man Japan Original CD with OBI Factory Sealed Copy US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART MAGIC BAND-ICE CREA~-JAPAN SHM-CD ttt US $38.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND 'Doc At The Radar Station' 180g Vinyl LP US $25.12 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND 'Ice Cream for Crow' 180g Vinyl LP US $25.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica 2 LP Set Vinyl Record LP US $40.32 Buy It Now 1 day
CASH COWS captain beefheart/xtc/pil/skids/professionals/the ruts/etc LP PS EX/EX US $14.92 Buy It Now 1 day
Captain Beefheart Blue vinyl 180 gram Frank Freemans new unplayed US $43.15 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND SAFE AS MILK 180GM LP VINYL RECORD NEW US $46.99 Buy It Now 1 day
5 CAPTAIN BEEFHEART BADGES. Trout Mask Replica, Psychedelia. US $8.28 Buy It Now 1 day
LP CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - BLUEJEANS & MOONBEAMS (VIRGIN V 2023) SCARCE 1974 BRITISH US $33.11 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW ORDER Back to Mind CD Captain Beefheart Groundhogs Primal Scream Can US $5.00 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART- Doc At The Radar Station 1980 UK LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Blues Psych LP : Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band ~ Safe As Milk ~ Buddah US $30.00 [0 bids]
Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) by Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band UK Import US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - SAFE AS MILK - USED VINYL LP RECORD (1970 BUDDAH BDS 5063) US $4.00 [2 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA / CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Mothers BONGO FURY VG++ US $27.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND Diddy Wah Diddy 2 x 7" RSD 2012 NEW US $29.97 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart Top Secret ( 12" Picture Disc) US $24.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Hear - Rare Garage 45 - Captain Beefheart - Diddy Wah Diddy - A&M # 794 US $29.99 [1 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND - Doc At The Radar Station - LP US $30.46 Buy It Now 2 days
Captain Beefheart Unconditionally Guaranteed (1974 UK Virgin LP) US $24.88 Buy It Now 2 days
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND: Safe As Milk LP (Mono, reissue) Rock & Pop US $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Captain Beefheart Clear Spot LP UK 1st A1/B1 VG+ US $1.64 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART: THE LEGENDARY A&M SESSIONS ~ Original 1984 Vinyl EP US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & MAGIC BAND Live - London '74 RARE 2006 UK 12-track CD album US $11.60 Buy It Now 2 days
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART The Spotlight Kid REPRISE RECORDS Sealed COLORED VINYL LP US $16.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND Lick My Decals Off Baby UK STRAIGHT - EX US $24.90 [0 bids]
MU - MU || 1971 USA WEST COAST PSYCHEDELIA LP RE CAPTAIN BEEFHEART , FANKHAUSER US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART music online Buy CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAPTAIN BEEFHEART DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 ratings distribution

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 reviews

Review by HolyMoly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl and Canterbury Teams
4 stars Beefheart and his freshly-assembled Magic Band hit the road to support the well-received comeback "Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)" album, and it's immediately clear that he's back on his game, as evidenced by this superbly presented live document by Rhino/Handmade. The repertoire relies heavily on "Shiny Beast" material, though it also favors the smoother strains of "Clear Spot" material (Nowadays a Woman's Got to Hit a Man, Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles) as well as a generous number of "Trout Mask Replica" songs (Well, Old Fart at Play, Moonlight on Vermont, Veterans Day Poppy), and a couple of songs that are even older (Dropout Boogie, Abba Zaba, Safe as Milk). The era of his misguided attempts at mainstream acceptance is wisely avoided. This catches Beefheart right in the midst of a turning point in his career, and I can only imagine how elated his fans were to see him back in such commanding form.

Sound quality is impeccable throughout, leading me to think this was professionally recorded with the intention of being released, or broadcast over the radio. It was an unusual-sounding lineup. Bruce Fowler (ex-Zappa) plays the bass parts on trombone (or "air bass" as Beefheart amusingly calls it), Robert Williams provides the kind of tom-heavy offbeat rhythms that are a hallmark of Beefheart's music, Eric Drew Feldman fills in the spaces jumping around between keyboards, guitar, and bass. Jeff "Moris" Tepper plays the slide with even more joyful abandon than his precursor Zoot Horn Rollo (if not as expertly). The band handles the Trout Mask material adequately, though they do seem more comfortable with the "Shiny Beast" material they helped to create.

Beefheart himself sounds confident and in charge. He communicates with the crowd with humor and good-natured sarcasm (best moment: yelling at an audience member for clapping in 4/4 time during "Well", an acapella piece that is in anything but 4/4). All in all, this is probably the best live document of Captain Beefheart you are likely to find. 4 stars.

Send comments to HolyMoly (BETA) | Report this review (#834014) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 06, 2012

4 stars This is a great concert of CB having a good time with both the band and the crowd. This live recording is of very good quality and makes me jealous that I was not part of the crowd. The band is hot and so is CB. If you are looking for a live set of CB and the Magic Band, this is the place to ... (read more)

Report this review (#124165) | Posted by FoonTheElder | Thursday, May 31, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is a fantastic live recording, FM broadcast. If you enjoy the Magic Band this is the best of the bootlegs for sound quality, and Don's on great form with the audience - the material from Shiny Beast Bat Chain Piller is heavily featured with great exuberance. Beware the other versions of t ... (read more)

Report this review (#50972) | Posted by | Sunday, October 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAPTAIN BEEFHEART "I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978"