SADAKO E LE MILLE GRU DI CARTA

Logos

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Logos Sadako e le mille gru di carta album cover

Essential: a masterpiece of
progressive rock music

Buy LOGOS Music
Studio Album, released in 2020

1. Origami in SOL- (2:16)
2. Paesaggi di insonnia (11:27)
3. Un lieto inquietarsi (10:48)
4. Il sarto (6:00)
5. Zaini di elio (12:38)
6. Sadako e le mille gru di carta (21:20)

Bonus track on digital release:
7. Sadako e le mille gru di carta (radio edit) (5:19)

- Luca Zerman / lead vocals, keyboards
- Claudio Antolini/ keyboards
- Fabio Gaspari/ bass, guitars, mandolin, vocals
- Alessandro Perbellini / drums

With:
- Elisa Montaldo / vocals (4)
- Federica Zoccatelli / saxophone (2)
- Massimo Maoli / guitars (6)
- Simone Chiampan / drums (4)

CD Andromeda Relix - AND87 (2020, Italy)

Digital album (July 1st, 2020) with bonus track

Thanks to tszirmay for the addition
and to projeKct for the last updates

Buy LOGOS Sadako e le mille gru di carta Music

More places to buy LOGOS music online Buy LOGOS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

LOGOS Sadako e le mille gru di carta ratings distribution

LOGOS Sadako e le mille gru di carta reviews

Review by tszirmay
5 stars One of the greatest challenges any artist must overcome lies in its ability to surpass a previous masterpiece, finding the narrow source of consistency in inspiration to constantly go beyond and come up with a new offering. Often, some artists decide to alter their sound or style and forge into new realms of creativity, with mixed results, some managing brilliantly and others faltering. Italian prog band LogoS reached widespread acclaim in 2014 with their third album , the sublime L'Enigma della Vita , which was universally lauded and applauded in the global prog community, a scintillating effort that had all the classic hallmarks of Italian Prog (RPI) whilst maintaining an original flavour all to its own. Everything about it was magical: sound, production, atmosphere, talent, songs with great instrumental prowess and truly excellent vocals. The artwork left no stone unturned, flush with melancholy and grandeur. 6 years later, the band comes out with its much awaited follow up, with all fans wondering if the new work will equal or surpass the previous release, or if that they had decided to go into another realm altogether. Let me reassure you all right away, there is no need for any concern, as 'Sadako e le Mille Gru di Carta' maintains and even exceeds expectations! Still helmed by the incredible Luca Zerman on lead vocals as well as keys, aided and abetted by fellow ivory man Claudio Antolini, as well as devilish bassman Fabio Gaspari, who doubles on guitar, mandolin and vocals and adding terrific drummer Alessandro Perbellini. The album has a theme focused on a Japanese legend, an artistic style known as Origami and combining that with history, namely Hiroshima, through the eyes of a little girl Sadako, victim of the radiation released by the A-bomb. The cover and artwork are once again highly evocative and drenched in artistic flair and melancholia.

The majestic synths open the proceedings with 'Origami in Sol', a bold fanfare that sets the tone, the dual keyboards cooking up quite the storm, ending with a lovely Japanese lament that lasts only a few seconds. The spellbinding 11 and a half minute 'Paesaggi di Insomnia' showcases the band's strengths, namely the concept of musical unpredictability as the rumbling bass guitar takes over, helped along by string synths, switching gears into the vocal section, laden with sorrow and grace , then a soaring synthesizer melody that secures the main theme in a typical RPI manner. Sorry, but I am hooked already after only 6 minutes into this recipe! In stupendous and wholly unexpected fashion, a delirious saxophone courtesy of guest Federica Zoccatelli makes its way into the arrangement, united with the twirling keys. Prog does not get much better than this!

How about another epic, back to back? Well, Luca and the ragazzi oblige with another nearly 11-minute whopper, and I find myself giggling nervously at their audacity! Their ability to combine the simple and gorgeous melodies with complex arrangements laden with twists and turns will excite progsters to no end. The first few moments of 'Un Lieto Inquietarsi' have a distinctive ELP flavour, swirling keys and a chugging organ, booming and nasty bass line, pushed along by precise killer drumming. A serene mid-section weaves a delicate path, a brief respite before diving once again into a sonic fray, this time fueled by dual vocals from Luca and Fabio, the mean bass shoving the melody to higher planes. Spectacular, vibrant and grandiose, Prog does not get much better than this!

'Il Sarto' is a shorter piece also featuring the vocals of guest Elisa Montaldo of Il Tempio delle Clessidre , very much in the Le Orme style which should come as no surprise as LogoS started out learning their chops as a Le Orme cover band. A beautiful ballad, pastoral and bright, the voices united in passion and hope, a typical Italian accordion sound to highlight their native folk roots, often present in RPI. Delightful interlude.

How about 2 more epics to seal the deal? Va bene, let's set up a 12 and half minute composition, 'Zaini di Elio', this time adorned with harpsichord-like effects (which I feel lags in prog but it's a difficult instrument to copy, according to my musician pals), still frantic and moody, folding in some interesting additions with choppy sections, bewildering synth solos and some manic drumming from signore Perbellini! The crisp, precise and ingenious instrumental display is simply outstanding, and the vocals maintain a dazzling level of expression, the massive final chorus being as spirit rousing as it gets, tubular bells in support. I am conquered! Prog does not get much better than this!

Can this go on? Well, the grand finale is the title track, and a 21minute and 20 second masterpiece it is, perhaps their crowning career achievement up to now. Five seconds in, the desolate piano notes hit one in the gut, dripping with sorrow and dejection, a melody of classic proportions. The synthesizer takes over boldly, still flavoured with the soft piano emanations, the crushing vocals invoke the quest for the end of war, indeed of all wars and to let peace finally rule forever more. A Japanese motif creeps in amid the electronic keyboard fray, showcasing a glittering array of tonal variations, balancing bombastic with elegance, a real tour de force. A guest cameo, former guitarist Massimo Maoli lets his electric guitar rip with subtle abandon. Every sound is highly melodic, well thought out, creative and inspired. At the 13-minute mark, the arrangement shifts into a more modern groove, an electronic chugging mood that orients towards the final vocal passage, in companion with a slippery synth solo and the lurking menace of a throbbing bass guitar. The finale ends in crescendo of sound and fury, the raging guitar slicing through the mushroom cloud, the voice exalted and despondent, the piano slowly ending its march along the black and white board. The cranes have been folded. Prog does not get much better than this!

As a bonus track, a mini 5-minute version of the title track, a radio edit, recaps the entire album perfectly. I am quite sure that previous fans and critics will love this opus, which I believe not only surpasses the previous gem but will be the 2020 album of the year for many. To think that this was completed during the Italian crisis of the pandemic, clearly shows the dedication and the courage of musicians of this calibre in overcoming odds to display their talent and to entertain us with their beautiful music.

5 Orizuru (paper cranes) but there is really 1000 of them!

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams
5 stars Usually I need more listens before writing a review, and I'm not used to rate an album very high after just few listens, but this is the exception. First of all because I've listened to the whole three times in a row and while I'm writing the title track, a 21 minutes epic, is playing again.

First thing: this is RPI. If you have in mind the classic RPI, this is what you can expect from this album: keyboard driven epics of the kind that unfortunately bands like PFM today seem to have become unable to write. Second thing: it's a concept album based on a very moving true story with lyrics which deserve to be understood, and you can find them translated in several languages on the band's website, even if the poetry looses power with the translation. Third: it's skillfully played and produced. In some passages the keyboard sounds remind to the old Rick Wakeman, with the usual little touch of Genesis influence which is characteristic of the RPI, but the story is so dark that the music can't not be dramatic and intense.

The album starts with a two minutes instrumental with GOBLIN's like keys. It's followed by "Paesaggi d'Insonnia"(Insomnia Landscapes) whose lyrics are quite cryptic. I think to the Philip Dick's chronicles. Again, some sounds and passages bring to my mind No Earthly Connection, but without losing the strong RPI flavor. I hope that Luca Zerman won't be disappointed by being compared to Rick Wakeman. The central part of the track is very melodic and when it returns to the dark realms it features the sax of Federica Zoccatelli who drives the long instrumental coda.

"Un Lieto inquietarsi"(A happy unrest) has a cinematic flavor which is now closer to Keith Emerson than to Wakeman. I'm spending a lot of words about the keyboards, but the band has two keyboardists; Zerman and Antolini, and almost no guitar, with Alessandro Perbellini and Fabio Gaspari playing the role of Palmer and Lake respectively. It's an excellent truely progressive track.

"Il Sarto"(The Tailor) Is a little moment of relief in the sadness of the story. The vocal harmonies of Elisa Montaldo are remarkable. The song is "short and sweet".

"Zaini Di Elio"(Helium Backpacks) is opened by a Genesis like instrumental intro. This is RPI after all. The lyrics are linked to the Pandora's myth. I haven't written a single word about the concept up to now. Let's wait a bit more. This track could have been an excellent closer, but there's still the 21 minutes epic.

Now it's time to speak about the concept: it's an album about war and about the story of Sadako, a girl survived to the Hiroshima bomb when she was 2 years old, who died of leukemia at 11. In the hospital she was told a legend: if you are able to create 1,000 crane origamis you'll have a desire realized. She died after making 644.

The album, and this track in particular have very strong lyrics, written by Marco Zuffo. The band was told the story of Sadako by the paintress Marica Fasoli who realized also the album cover. The project was completed by the video director Elia Cristofoli (aka Solingo) as a multimedial opera, but I haven't seen the video yet.

Anyway, this is a moving album perfectly in line with what one can expect from something labeled RPI. This is not my favorite genre, so if it has had the poweer of keeping me stuck on it for more than 3 hours it surely deserves the 5 stars I'm going to give it as rate. I

Review by Progfan97402
4 stars Logos is an Italian band that's been around since the 1990s, although the current incarnation features a totally different lineup aside from Luca Zerman. I am not familiar with anything this groups has done, aside from Sadako e le mille gru di carta. I'm under the impression after two albums in 1999 and 2001 the band broke up and then reappeared many years later. This is their second album from their return, and this is a concept album of a child that survived the Hiroshima bombing. Where there's a clear Japanese theme to the album, including the cover that depicts folding creases for origami. Despite that, don't expect any Japanese ethnic styles, no koto, shamisen or shakuhachi, what you get is straight up Italian prog, much like Banco or Le Orme. The vocals aren't as dramatic as Banco, but the band features tons of great keyboard work, including Moog, organ, and Mellotron (or possibly the M4000D). Some digital synths do rear their heads, though, but never intrusive. "Il Sarto" features guest female vocals from Elisa Montaldo of Il Tempio Delle Clessidre fame. Musically this is very much symphonic prog, Italian style and it's a rather nice album.

5 stars Probably the best album of 2020 This may very well be the best album that was released in the year 2020. I hoped, but didn't really expect, that Logos could top their fabulous album from 2014 named L'enigma della vita. But they do. What an album this is! There is one hour of great music on the al ... (read more)

Report this review (#2433855) | Posted by Andis | Friday, July 31, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I'm not a huge fan of Rock Progressivo Italiano, although I consider PFM, one of the best and original bands in the 70's. Previous Logos' albums didn't spoke to me that much but this album, oh, I have no words... Musicianship is near perfection; this might be the best album of the decade, next to Wo ... (read more)

Report this review (#2431306) | Posted by emisan | Wednesday, July 22, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album has had such an early flurry of five star reviews, including no less than two by PA collaborators, that I had to give it a try. After a full listen on Bandcamp I decided to buy but as Bandcamp were offering the complete LogoS Bandcamp catalogue for not much more than the latest album, I o ... (read more)

Report this review (#2431088) | Posted by CeeJayGee | Tuesday, July 21, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LOGOS "Sadako e le mille gru di carta"