FIREWORKER

Format: Vinyl, CD, Digital
September 18, 2020

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

Buy GAZPACHO Fireworker Music

More places to buy GAZPACHO music online

GAZPACHO Fireworker ratings distribution

GAZPACHO Fireworker reviews

3 stars I remember the buzz about this band around 2007 on here and the frustration that none of the North American vendors carried their music. I ended up getting a cdr of "Night" from a buddy in The Netherlands before their music was finally made available over here. So I have their 2005 "Firebird", 2007 "Night", 2009 "Tick Tock" and 2010 "Missa Atropus" before I bailed and waited to hear if they did anything close to "Night" which is by far their best recording. In fact if I hadn't have played it a couple of months ago I probably wouldn't have taken a chance on this their latest studio album from 2020. This may go down as my most regrettable purchase since getting back into the game. It's been a long time since I've popped a cd out because I didn't have the patience but that happened.

One thing that made this different was the choir that comes and goes on that 19 1/2 minute opener "Space Cowboy" and the next track "Hourglass". There is nothing in the liner notes that even mentions them let alone gives a credit. That opener is a long one and a little too sparse at times. It did get surprisingly heavy after 9 minutes. "Hourglass" is close to being ballad-like with the piano and vocals but then the choir replaces the vocals followed by the choirs being replaced by violin. I don't like the title track. Just a little too commercial sounding and the drums sound bad. "Antique" is another relaxed tune with vocals and atmosphere although we get some brief power after 5 minutes. "Sapien" ends it and again mellow stuff but with brief outbursts that come and go. There's vocals and not much else after 11 minutes before picking up some late without vocals.

Man this was so hard to get through but I'm at least thankful that I own "Night" a very special recording. This one went over my head.

5 stars For nearly 20 years, Norwegian sextet Gazpacho have excelled at creating atmospheric reflections on somewhat thought- provoking or troubling themes. With Fireworker they have outdone themselves, creating a concept which in some ways encompasses all that has come before and pushes the envelope ev ... (read more)

Report this review (#2456393) | Posted by thesimilitudeofprog | Thursday, October 15, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Despite a name that conjures up sunny Andalusian afternoons at the beach, Gazpacho are a creature of cold, dark Scandinavian nights. Hailing from Oslo, the Norwegian sextet has been around for about two decades, their debut album dating back to 2003. Their career truly picked up in 2007 though, with ... (read more)

Report this review (#2455225) | Posted by lukretio | Saturday, October 10, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars GAZPACHO is one of the groups that has carved out a place for itself in the melodic and atmospheric and symphonic and melancholic spleen, rock art universe! A feat of resisting all the drifts and the young wolves who try to do as well. GAZPACHO is releasing here its 11th album in nearly 20 years ... (read more)

Report this review (#2451690) | Posted by alainPP | Monday, September 28, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is a return to form by Gazpacho after two somewhat mediocre albums like Molok and Soyuz. It's their best album since Demon, and a step in the right direction for a band with great albums in their discography (Night, Tick Tock, March of Ghosts, Demon). It's almost 20 years for Gazpacho of ... (read more)

Report this review (#2451059) | Posted by maialaia | Friday, September 25, 2020 | Review Permanlink

2 stars It's been a long time coming --I'm giving up on Gazpacho. I became a huge fan of this band when I heard Night, just before their just as excellent Tick Tock came out. Unfortunately, their last few releases haven't been on par with either Night, Tick Tock or March of Ghosts. This is a shame becau ... (read more)

Report this review (#2449598) | Posted by Tasartir | Monday, September 21, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Jan Henrik Ohme's vocals sound like a less neurotic, more emotional version of Thom Yorke's own approach to singing, and that's not bad at all. I must say, however, that the most likable (for prog ears in any case) part of the recipe here is the instrumental and choral touches recurring with impecab ... (read more)

Report this review (#2448397) | Posted by Heart of the Matter | Thursday, September 17, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GAZPACHO "Fireworker"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.