BEYOND THE EXOSPHERE

Pyramid Theorem

Pyramid Theorem Beyond the Exosphere album cover

Buy PYRAMID THEOREM Music
Studio Album, released in 2020

1. Beyond the Exosphere (17:53)
2. Under Control (4:48)
3. Freedom (4:39)
4. Closer to the End (7:06)
5. Intonate (6:48)

- Stephan Di Mambro / keyboards, guitar, vocals
- Sam Ermellini / guitar, vocals
- Christian Di Mambro / bass, vocals
- Vito De Francesco / drums, percussion

Format: Digital
August 21, 2020

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to projeKct for the last updates

Buy PYRAMID THEOREM Beyond the Exosphere Music

More places to buy PYRAMID THEOREM music online

PYRAMID THEOREM Beyond the Exosphere ratings distribution

PYRAMID THEOREM Beyond the Exosphere reviews

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams
4 stars Glad to pick such a tempting album up, and simultaneously glad to bump into such a promising combo. An Ontario- oriented unit PYRAMID THEOREM (the moniker is good too!) founded in 2006 are apparently influenced by Progressive Metal vanguard Dream Theater and Heavy Prog ambassador Rush, especially upon playing style and dreamy composition, but I guess their intention would be over the mountain top of progressive metal. Their instrumental technique is beyond expression, and their composition and production is pretty dramatic and theatrical. And it's interesting they sincerely create a virtual musical world acceptable for every single progressive rock fan.

The first suite "Beyond The Exosphere" can be called as a jukebox of colourful prog-metal variation. From the very opening their brilliant melodic departure should move you completely. It's very impressive that you can be immersed in the development, not methodological but enthusiastic and sensitive. Full and good stomach with overintensive, complex but favourable phrases only through the 5 minute beginning 'Ascension', followed by 'Planetary Transit' filled with killer drumming. 'Regenesis' has much power to squeeze their serious messages and strong passion plays into your inner mind. Slightly exaggerated but upbeat inspiring sound and rhythm construction is exploring and explosive. Melody or rhythm lines are complex and diverse but very friendly in a mysterious manner. Guess their cheerful disposition would have done so? Over 17 minutes with their masterpiece is not so long actually. Their crazy crystallized performance and crazy innovative sound evolution should make you happy.

"Under Control" is one of the shortest tracks in this album but fantastic is their vitality. Melodic metal blended with catchy streams and complicated rhythmic vibes completely amazes you. Melancholic bluesy lines and lyrics all through the track cannot be depressing but drive you into something encouraging. "Freedom" has atmosphere leaning towards extreme metal but you can feel delightful texture and futuristic hope via this active stuff, like the title says. Even the following "Close To The End" with tragic lyrics sounds powerful and vivacious. Splendid, serious drumming should be your nutrition. Strict bass play beneath their soundcore is awesome. Uptempo, crying double guitar-based sound organization should kick your anxiety out. Wondering why their soundscape veils every fan softly even though it's deeply hard and heavy. The last "Intonate" would be another luxury (and one of my favourite ones). Hopeful mid-tempo bright passages seasoned with crazy metallic sound theatre are quite magnificent. Obviously suitable for the epilogue of this fascinating creation.

Lastly let me say thanks to the bassist Christian for recommending this great album. Do hope their artistic future will be more and more excellent.

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
4 stars Some wonderful sound innovations by this band from Toronto contrasted by some very old sounding metal music sounds and tricks. Weird! Upon re-listening to this album for the second and third times I even found myself wondering if songs #2 & #3 were recorded 30 years ago--or if it was even the same band members that recorded them!

1. "Beyond the Exosphere" (17:53) Some absolutely brilliant, gorgeous, and powerful musics side-by-side with some rather blasť run-of the mill metal--which is disappointing as this could've been one of the year's stellar epics. Still, my second favorite song on the album. (32/35) 2. "Under Control" (4:48) Time warp! we're in the 1980s! (8/10) 3. "Freedom" (4:39) More old metal! What happened to the band that made that excellent opening epic? (8.25/10) 4. "Closer to the End" (7:06) some cool effects--like the choral vocals and the alternating machine gun bass and kick drum riffs alternating with Mellotron "ohs." My third favorite song on the album. (13/15) 5. "Intonate" (6:48) great multi-voiced vocals throughout. The best song on the album. (14.5/15)

B+/4.5 stars; a near-masterpiece collection of songs, some reaching metal prog perfection while others feel as if they were pulled out of some 1980s metal-by-numbers playbook.

Review by Kempokid
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars I tend to find it great whenever I get requested to review some modern prog metal album, since while I've been very vocal about my dislike for the direction it's headed as a whole, these requests always tend to reveal the material in the genre I find more enjoyable to an extent, and this one's definitely no exception. As is fairly standard for these sorts of albums, there's no doubt that there's a lot of extremely clear influence taken from past giants of the genre, in this case Dream Theater, but as is also practically the standard these days, it's also a lot better than any of the material that DT have put out over the last 10 - 15 years or so. The fact that there's also some clear Rush influence in this further helps separate it from the sea of DT clones to an extent, with the sometimes catchy, more straightforward melodies and hooks giving the album some more lasting impact, rather than simply feeling like yet another band soloing for the sake of looking cool and proficient at their chosen instrument.

From the moment the opening epic Beyond the Exosphere kicks off, it immediately becomes clear how Rush inspired the band, with the opening few seconds sounding incredibly similar to Fountain of Lamneth before breaking into more traditional prog metal territory. The epic as a whole is honestly pretty well structured, constantly ebbing and flowing while also progressively becoming more intense with each build up, managing to actually sound worthy of being the length it is, rather than simply sounding like a regular track but long. I also get some occasional Symphony X vibes from the vocal delivery, the more powerful nature of it, which is another thing I quite appreciate, further separating itself from the overt similarities to Dream Theater. This also happens to be a rare case of a prog drum solo not being a complete waste of time, being rather short, yet also contributing to the progression of the song in the way it brings for a somewhat darker tone that ends up leading into an extremely solid groove as the song explodes into an absolutely amazing, climactic few minutes that completely reminds me why I used to have such a love for the genre. The song on the whole is just a really fun time to me and definitely sets the album up nicely.

The rest of the album unfortunately is a step down from this first track, although is still pretty good for the most part. Main issue with this part is that it sounds more like a dramatic, densely produced 80s metal album, rather than having the prog qualities that made the opening track as good as it was, but even so, it's not bad, albeit not too memorable for tracks 2 and 3 either, being vaguely nice to listen to rather than anything I have the desire to look deeper into. It's in Closer to the End where things get back on track, being yet another more straightforward song with a clear cut chorus and everything, but I really like it, it feels like there's a bit of genuine emotion behind it and evokes almost apocalyptic imagery with how downright grandiose and epic it sounds, especially with the choral vocals. Intonate closes the album off decently, with the vocals being of particular note here with the great harmonies bringing an additional powerful edge to the track, solidifying the sense of finality that it's able to bring to the close really nicely, especially when combined with the amazing symphonic outro.

Overall, it's stuff like this that ends up reminding me why prog metal was a genre I loved so much at one point, as while this may not be an album with anything particularly new or shocking, it takes from its influences rather well to make an enjoyable listen, especially when looking at the epic on it and the way it actually fully feels like it deserves all 17 minutes. While not really an album I'd recommend to change someone's mind about the genre, I do think that this is an album you should check out if you're a fan of Dream Theater and Rush, since it's clearly the audience this band seems to cater towards, and it pulls it off rather well.

Best tracks: Beyond the Exosphere, Closer to the End

Weakest tracks: Freedom

Review by rdtprog
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Heavy / RPI / Symphonic Prog Team
4 stars The adventure of this band started in 2007 by musicians that were big Rush and Dream Theater fans, They must have listened to the latter closely because it sounds a lot like the leader of that genre. The guitar playing is also very much Petrucci influenced, and the drum playing is impressive throughout the whole album. The first 18 minutes epic is a slap in the face with all the trademark of a solid symphonic prog metal song combining technique and melody to make you jump out of your seat. The first part of the song is highlighted by one of the coolest drum solos I have heard followed by an ambient passage where the song picks up his pace slowly with keyboards. It would be a difficult task to surpass the quality of that first song in the next short songs of the album, but the band succeeds to keep the momentum with some solid songwriting letting all musicians take their spot including the keyboards. In the end, you can hear some Symphony-X influence, but despite the fact that the band clearly shows their influences on their sleeves, they still managed to craft their own sound with more dynamics and melody than a lot of Prog Metal bands.

4 stars [Originally published at The Progressive Aspect] I'm indebted to Cydemind for introducing me to Pyramid Theorem. I'd never heard of the latter, until the former shared a link to Pyramid Theorem's latest album to introduce their fans to the band they'd be touring with. My memory puts that on Bas ... (read more)

Report this review (#2477941) | Posted by nick_h_nz | Saturday, November 21, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Beyond the Exosphere, by the Canadians Pyramid Theorem, is a forceful work, where high-voltage developments are nuanced with short and effective elements of the highest sensitivity and devoid of greater instrumental clothing, but as intense as the most vibrant moments. In the powerful musical pr ... (read more)

Report this review (#2454788) | Posted by Hector Enrique | Thursday, October 8, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Despite always being a big fan of what some call "heavy prog" (Rush, Porcupine Tree etc.) I've never really paid much attention to progressive metal. Now I've listened to this album, I now realise what a massive mistake that was. This album has really got me into the genre, and I've enjoyed it s ... (read more)

Report this review (#2446056) | Posted by FatherChristmas | Wednesday, September 9, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Hot Damn- Run, Don't Walk! Evolution of Brilliance It wasn't that long ago PYRAMID THEOREM posted videos ("Drive" anyone?) featuring smokin' hot 80's metal riffs and half-naked smokin' hot ladies plus classic hot cars. Not that there's anything wrong with that. You could hear the influ ... (read more)

Report this review (#2445223) | Posted by Steve Conrad | Sunday, September 6, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars PYRAMID THEOREM are a promising progressive metal band. On this album the band plays a style that reminded me of DREAM THEATER. The album opens up with a long song that kept my attention because it did not sound the same for the entire length of the song, instead it kept me interested and I re ... (read more)

Report this review (#2445210) | Posted by progtime1234567 | Sunday, September 6, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PYRAMID THEOREM "Beyond the Exosphere"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.