THE SEASIDE

RIO/Avant-Prog

Cardiacs The Seaside album cover

Buy CARDIACS Music
Studio Album, released in 1984

1. Jibber And Twitch (4:34)
2. Gena Lollabridgida (3:12)
3. Hello Mr.Sparrow (4:34)
4. It's A Lovely Day (3:25)
5. A Wooden Fish On Wheels (3:23)
6. Hope Day (6:25)
7. Ice A Spot And A Dot On The Dog (3:34)
8. R.E.S. (5:26)
9. To Go Off And Things (2:13)

Search CARDIACS The Seaside lyrics

- Tim Quy / percussion
- Mark Cawthra / drums on tracks 5, 7 & 9

LP/CAS Alphabet Business Concern ALPH001

and to Rune2000 for the last updates

CARDIACS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARDIACS The Seaside Music

BellyeyeBellyeye
Org
Audio CD$206.90 (used)
On Land and in the SeaOn Land and in the Sea
Mr & Mrs Smith And Mr Drake ?- Mr & Mrs Smith And Mr Drake CD CARDIACS MINT US $97.39 Buy It Now 16h 59m
Cardiacs - Songs by and Affectionate Friends (2001) CD STILL SEALED US $40.57 Buy It Now 16h 59m
Cardiacs - All That Glitters is a Mares Nest - Cd NEW ALPH CD 018 US $32.97 Buy It Now 22h 12m
The Seaside [CD] by Cardiacs (CD, May-1995, Alphabet) NEW US $35.97 Buy It Now 22h 12m
Cardiacs- Heaven Born And Ever Bright. Prog, Tim Smith, Punk, 1st press! US $54.90 Buy It Now 22h 59m
Mr & Mrs Smith And Mr Drake- S/T. Prog, Tim Smith, Cardiacs, sealed! US $59.90 Buy It Now 22h 59m
William D. Drake The Rising Of The Lights cd cardiacs US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Cardiacs,Cardiacs,Including lyric/picture insert,LP US $47.88 Buy It Now 4 days
Sleepy People Typhoid And Swans Cardiacs US $8.10 [0 bids]
CARDIACS:BIG SHIP,1987,ALPHABET,W/LYRIC SHEET US $17.05 [4 bids]
Cardiacs "Sing To God" OOP 2 cd LIMITED EDITION SEALED & RARE IMPORT 22 tracks US $14.99 [1 bids]
CARDIACS-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $4.85 Buy It Now 11 days
William D. Drake s/t cd cardiacs US $19.99 Buy It Now 11 days
LP DOWLING POOLE (ex WILDHEARTS, CARDIACS) Bleak Strategies on vinyl, ltd issue US $17.84 Buy It Now 11 days
LP DOWLING POOLE (ex WILDHEARTS, CARDIACS) Bleak Strategies, GREEN VINYL! US $25.96 Buy It Now 11 days
LP DOWLING POOLE (ex WILDHEARTS, CARDIACS) Bleak Strategies, GREEN VINYL, rare US $25.96 Buy It Now 11 days
cardiacs press cutting rare! tim smith the cardiacs US $44.99 Buy It Now 12 days
William D. Drake- Yew's Paw. Prog, psych, Cardiacs, Tim Smith, MINT! US $29.90 Buy It Now 12 days
Cardiacs ?- Is This The Life RARE ORIG House Of Dolls MAGAZINE + 7" NEAR MINT US $16.22 Buy It Now 14 days
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 12 - CARDIACS/THE JANITORS/GONG/STONE COLD/MAYHEM US $24.34 Buy It Now 14 days
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 47 - CARDIACS/THE DANDY WARHOLS/CORROSION OF CONFORMITY US $14.59 Buy It Now 14 days
HOUSE OF DOLLS #2 sampler EP 7" Cardiacs/Orange Cartest/In Two A Circle ex 1988 US $6.48 Buy It Now 15 days
Cardiacs The Nighttracks Radio 1 Session 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK US $55.12 Buy It Now 17 days
Kinks tribute Shangri La DUTCH LP Reegs Cardiacs Droogs Fleshtones Wolfhounds US $24.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Cardiacs-1996 magazine advert US $8.10 Buy It Now 20 days
CARDIACS Live University Of London Rare Original Official 2004 UK Concert POSTER US $24.34 Buy It Now 20 days
Cardiacs Susannah's Still Alive 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK ALPH009T US $22.65 Buy It Now 21 days
Cardiacs Cardiacs Live cd US $29.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Cardiacs Rude Bootleg lp vinyl US $139.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Redbus Noface #1 If It Fights The Hammer It Will Fight The Knife cardiacs US $29.99 Buy It Now 22 days
MARQUEE HANDBILL/GIGS - LISTINGS INC. CARDIACS/TIGERTAILZ/CHELSEA/DEL AMITRI US $12.91 Buy It Now 24 days
MARQUEE HANDBILL/GIGS - LISTINGS INC. DIAMOND HEAD/IQ/CHELSEA/TRILOGY/CARDIACS US $12.91 Buy It Now 24 days
THE TRUDY - LOST SUMMER OF LOVE - PROMO CD CARDIACS US $11.35 Buy It Now 24 days
CARDIACS is this the life 7" b/w i'm eating in bed (alph008sp) pic sleeve uk alp US $19.81 Buy It Now 25 days
######## Cardiacs Live by Cardiacs (CD, May-1996, Alph) New CD ################# US $39.97 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy CARDIACS music online Buy CARDIACS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARDIACS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARDIACS The Seaside ratings distribution

CARDIACS The Seaside reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars It was exactly a year ago that I discovered a band called Cardiacs and after purchasing the A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window they skyrocketed into a position among my top ten all-time favorite bands. I really want to thank Trouserpress for recommending me to look up Cardiacs on iTunes, since it was there that I finally was able to get most of their hard to find back-catalog.

The Seaside was originally released back in 1984 and distributed by cassette only to be re-released in 1990 with a couple of omissions in the track-listing due to the loss of some original master tapes. Luckily most of these omissions resurfaced on later albums like A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window and Sing To God, so this loss is strictly effecting the completionists out there. Besides, judging from the rough version of R.E.S. presented here, these songs did benefit from a polished treatment.

The album kicks off with the superb Jibber And Twitch which reminded me immediately of why I loved Cardiacs so much! There is just so much of everything mishmashed into this music that I can surely understand why the band received the RIO/Avant-Prog labeling even though they sound nothing like most other bands in this sub-category. Gena Lollabridgida starts off with an indie pop-sounding intro that originally didn't really impress me but did manage to grow on me with time. Hello Mr.Sparrow is where Cardiacs sound closest to their masterful performance on A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window, while tracks like It's A Lovely Day and A Wooden Fish On Wheels help to spread that greatness evenly around the surface of this album.

Hope Day is the longest composition of the album giving the band a chance to jump all around the place until they finally take things down a notch... two minutes into their performance! Ice A Spot And A Dot On The Dog sounds like something that would have worked well on Sing To God with its strong focus on the guitar sound, while To Go Off And Things concludes the album on another upbeat high note that made me want to reset the album right after it was over!

There's really no denying that Cardiacs is a very unique band that has had undeservingly little attention from the general audience and The Seaside certainly highlights these unique qualities quite well. The only downsides to this album is that it lacks the coherency that the band achieved with their later releases and that the omission of a few tracks makes it quite short. Other than that, I really don't see why anyone would overlook this excellent piece of music now that it's finally available on iTunes!

***** star songs: Jibber And Twitch (4:34) Hello Mr.Sparrow (4:35) Ice A Spot And A Dot On The Dog (3:34)

**** star songs: Gena Lollabridgida (3:12) It's A Lovely Day (3:25) A Wooden Fish On Wheels (3:24) Hope Day (6:25) R.E.S. (5:26) To Go Off And Things (2:13)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#296756) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 30, 2010

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
4 stars I'm not ashamed to confess that I liked the punk and I still buy bands like the Offspring, as well as in the 80s I didn't dislike the DEVO. I have discovered the CARDIACS only recently, even if I have found that I already knew some of their songs without knowing who was the artist, and the first impression that I had was of a post-punk or post-modern band in the vein of DEVO, specially with songs like "It's A Lovely Day" and "A Wooden Fish On Wheels" on which they really seem the DEVO, specially thanks to Tim Smith's vocals.

I have also to say that the opener "Jibber And Twitch" sounds Avant enough to justify why this band is on PA and the yellow guys are not.

Another remark is about the funny "Gena Lollabridgida", an Italian movie-star of the 60s whose name is wrongly written but it may be a way to avoid lawsuits. The actress is "Gina Lollobrigida". The spelling is almost right instead.

Said so, I haven't payed much attention to the lyrics, but the music is fun, sometimes crazy, very often uptime and energetic. The imprinting of the 80s is evident as well as the punk/new wave origins, but they are on the right side of the fence. Their music is fun and sometimes easy, but never trivial and very far from the boring 80s stuff, like the DEVO were.

The difference? there's a lot prog in "Hope Day", as probably you won't find in any DEVO's song (apart maybe "Too Much Paranoias").

Another band that songs like the mentioned Gena Lollabridgida and "Ice Spot And A Dot On The Dog" can remind is TALKING HEADS. Probably a reason is in Tim's voice that can also sound similar to DAVID BYRNE.

I have missed this band and this album in 1984 when it was released. It could have made me change my opinion about the poorness of these years.

I know that the Cardiacs have become more avantgarde during the years. This is a post- modern post-punk album, and I like it for this.

An excellent addition to my personal collection that includes "Are We Not Men?", I hope it's the same for yours.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#561265) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Review by siLLy puPPy
4 stars THE SEASIDE is the third release by the CARDIACS and like the previous two it was initially only released on cassette and only available at the band's concerts and through the fan club. The CD release which came out in 1995 was an abridged version. The original cassette tracks of "Nurses Whispering Verses," "Is This The Life?," "A Little Man And A House" and "Dinner Time" were not included because the master tape containing them had been damaged or lost. On another note "Is This The Life?," "A Little Man And A House" and "R.E.S." were re-recorded and included on the following album. "Nurses Whispering Verses" was also re-recorded and found a home on "Sing To God."

This is really where the interesting period with the CARDIACS begins where all the ska punk meets all those progressive layerings to make something unparalleled in the musical world. It has been called post punk, progressive punk, zolo and even pronk. Yes, they remind me a bit of Devo meets Madness with maybe some Zappa and countless other influences thrown in for good mix but I think anyone who has heard their music will admit that NOBODY sounds like the CARDIACS except they themselves.

This album takes what was started on their previous albums and adds, refines, perfects and intensifies. The album hosts no more than 12 musicians including sax, alto sax, two keyboardists, marimba, trumpets and trombone in addition to the standard rock ones. Despite this album being somewhat of a transitional one between two different lineups it manages to emerge as a very strong album and the first to be released on their own label. Not quite as good as their following but not too far off.

Send comments to siLLy puPPy (BETA) | Report this review (#1108274) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 05, 2014

4 stars Forget the preceding poor quality tape release (Toy World) by the Cardiacs - this is where things really kick off... For 1984 this is completely out of place with regards to everything that was developing around them at that time. They were a band so completely out of synch with the mainstream ... (read more)

Report this review (#518754) | Posted by Dobermensch | Friday, September 09, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is my personal favourite Cardiacs Album. Also a good great starting point for anyone new to the band. Tim Smith and company are at their whimsical best here with compositions blending together intricate time signatures and Zappa-esque jazz noises with punk, ska and even circus music. Who ... (read more)

Report this review (#56826) | Posted by Greyhound | Friday, November 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARDIACS "The Seaside"