GUNS

Cardiacs Guns album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy CARDIACS Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. Spell With a Shell (3:17)
2. There's Good Cud (2:17)
3. Wind and Rains Is Cold (3:20)
4. Cry Wet Smile Dry (3:27)
5. Jitterbug (Junior Is A) (7:31)
6. Sleep All Eyes Open (2:58)
7. Come Back Clammy Lammy (4:07)
8. Clean That Evil Mud Out Your Soul (2:25)
9. Ain't He Messy Though (2:03)
10. Signs (4:25)
11. Song of a Dead Pest (2:37)
12. Will Bleed Amen (7:30)

Search CARDIACS Guns lyrics

Search CARDIACS Guns tabs

- Tim Smith / guitar, vocals, keyboards
- Jim Smith / bass
- Bob Leith / drums
- Jon Poole / guitar
- Sharon Saddington / backing vocals

CD Alphabet Business Concern ALPHCD027

CARDIACS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARDIACS Guns Music

Heaven Born And Ever BrightHeaven Born And Ever Bright
Sing to God Parts 1 & 2Sing to God Parts 1 & 2
Alph
Audio CD$138.99 (used)
The Special Garage Concerts, London, Autumn 2003, Volumes I & II 2 x CDsThe Special Garage Concerts, London, Autumn 2003, Volumes I & II 2 x CDs
The SeasideThe Seaside
GunsGuns
Alph
Audio CD$19.95 (used)
Little Man & A House & The Whole WLittle Man & A House & The Whole W
Under license from The Alphabet Business by Torso 1995
The Sea Nymphs s/t cd cardiacs US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE CARDIACS original Vinyl LP On Land And In The Sea (1989) US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Cardiacs live concert Astoria London 10th of November 2006 poster print A5 size US $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
The Cardiacs live concert Klubfoot 23 June 1988 small mini poster print A5 size US $24.95 Buy It Now 3 days
ROUGH TRADE SAMPLER JAPANESE PROMO Robert Wyatt NENEH CHERRY Mabuses CARDIACS US $3.31 [0 bids]
CARDIACS-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $4.98 Buy It Now 7 days
William D. Drake s/t cd cardiacs US $29.99 Buy It Now 7 days
LP DOWLING POOLE (ex WILDHEARTS, CARDIACS) Bleak Strategies on vinyl, ltd issue US $16.46 Buy It Now 7 days
LP DOWLING POOLE (ex WILDHEARTS, CARDIACS) Bleak Strategies, GREEN VINYL! US $23.95 Buy It Now 7 days
LP DOWLING POOLE (ex WILDHEARTS, CARDIACS) Bleak Strategies, GREEN VINYL, rare US $23.95 Buy It Now 7 days
William D. Drake- Yew's Paw. Prog, psych, Cardiacs, Tim Smith, MINT! US $29.90 Buy It Now 7 days
Tim Smiths Extra Special OceanLandWorld s/t cd cardiacs US $29.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Cardiacs ?- Is This The Life RARE ORIG House Of Dolls MAGAZINE + 7" NEAR MINT US $16.63 Buy It Now 10 days
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 12 - CARDIACS/THE JANITORS/GONG/STONE COLD/MAYHEM US $24.95 Buy It Now 10 days
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 47 - CARDIACS/THE DANDY WARHOLS/CORROSION OF CONFORMITY US $14.96 Buy It Now 10 days
HOUSE OF DOLLS #2 sampler EP 7" Cardiacs/Orange Cartest/In Two A Circle ex 1988 US $6.64 Buy It Now 11 days
Cardiacs The Nighttracks Radio 1 Session UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) US $51.52 Buy It Now 12 days
Cardiacs Fuzztones live concert London 27 November 1988 poster print A5 size bw US $24.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Kinks tribute Shangri La DUTCH LP Reegs Cardiacs Droogs Fleshtones Wolfhounds US $24.99 Buy It Now 15 days
CARDIACS Is This The Life / I'm Eating In Bed ALPHABET 7" RARE 1988 UK ISSUE US $18.29 Buy It Now 15 days
CARDIACS Susannahs Still Alive / Blind In Safety Leafy In Love ALPHABET 7" RARE US $21.62 Buy It Now 15 days
CARDIACS.SUSANAH'S STILL ALIVE.7'' VINYL MINT US $19.96 Buy It Now 16 days
Cardiacs-1996 magazine advert US $8.31 Buy It Now 16 days
Cardiacs Susannah's Still Alive UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) ALPH009T US $21.56 Buy It Now 16 days
Redbus Noface #1 If It Fights The Hammer It Will Fight The Knife cardiacs US $29.99 Buy It Now 18 days
MARQUEE HANDBILL/GIGS - LISTINGS INC. CARDIACS/TIGERTAILZ/CHELSEA/DEL AMITRI US $13.23 Buy It Now 20 days
MARQUEE HANDBILL/GIGS - LISTINGS INC. DIAMOND HEAD/IQ/CHELSEA/TRILOGY/CARDIACS US $13.23 Buy It Now 20 days
CARDIACS is this the life 7" b/w i'm eating in bed (alph008sp) pic sleeve uk alp US $20.32 Buy It Now 21 days
Cardiacs Rude Bootleg cd US $29.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Cardiacs ?On Land And In The Sea cd sealed US $39.99 Buy It Now 22 days
The Sea Nymphs Appealing To Venus 7" vinyl cardiacs US $39.99 Buy It Now 24 days
######## Cardiacs Live by Cardiacs (CD, May-1996, Alph) New CD ################# US $39.97 Buy It Now 24 days
Indie Top 20 CD88 CARDIACS WIRE HALF MAN HALF BISCUIT rare US $18.29 Buy It Now 25 days
---------------- Cardiacs - Archive Cardiacs - CD ALPH CD000------------------ US $36.97 Buy It Now 25 days
Free*Postage NEW Melvins Napalm Death Sugar Daddy Split #9 Cardiacs Cover Amrep US $175.00 Buy It Now 25 days
cardiacs press cutting rare! tim smith the cardiacs US $54.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Cardiacs Sing To God 2lp new vinyl one copy in stock! US $99.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Mr & Mrs Smith And Mr Drake ?- Mr & Mrs Smith And Mr Drake CD CARDIACS MINT US $99.86 Buy It Now 26 days
Cardiacs - Songs by and Affectionate Friends (2001) CD STILL SEALED US $41.60 Buy It Now 26 days
Cardiacs - All That Glitters is a Mares Nest - Cd NEW ALPH CD 018 US $32.97 Buy It Now 26 days
The Seaside [CD] by Cardiacs (CD, May-1995, Alphabet) NEW US $35.97 Buy It Now 26 days
Cardiacs- Heaven Born And Ever Bright. Prog, Tim Smith, Punk, 1st press! US $54.90 Buy It Now 26 days
Mr & Mrs Smith And Mr Drake- S/T. Prog, Tim Smith, Cardiacs, sealed! US $59.90 Buy It Now 26 days
The Cardiacs - Songs For Ships and Irons (CD) US $38.27 Buy It Now 27 days
William D. Drake The Rising Of The Lights cd cardiacs US $39.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Cardiacs Guns cd US $29.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Cardiacs ?Archive Cardiacs cd US $39.99 Buy It Now 29 days
CARDIACS heaven born and ever bright CD 11 track (alphcd017) uk alphabet 0 US $54.22 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy CARDIACS music online Buy CARDIACS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARDIACS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARDIACS Guns ratings distribution

CARDIACS Guns reviews

Review by russellk
2 stars This 1999 album is, sadly, likely to be CARDIACS' last full-length release. Even more sorrowfully, of all their incomparable catalogue this is the least essential.

What's missing? The energy, the vibrancy. The songs here are fine, but are played without the fire I worship them for. In fact I can't make up my mind whether they sound more like a BOWIE/MARC BOLAN glam rock pastiche or like a 70's SPLIT ENZ side project. This is certainly an enormous step down from 'Sing To God' released only a few years earlier.The flat, glossy production is partly to blame, but I think the fire has simply damped down too much.

But then there's 'Will Bleed Amen,' the album's last track. This song is right up there with the best in their canon and, for the serious CARDIACS fan, 'Guns' must be purchased for this song alone. Manic, glorious, playful, creative, enjoyable. The rest of the album, less so. If you are new to CARDIACS, please start somewhere else.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#414576) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 11, 2011

Review by frippism
COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
4 stars I've been most careful with "Guns". It was either loved or rather disliked by many people, so I thought quite carefully about whether eventually getting it or not. The sound can be described many times with one word: Underwhelming. That is not a bad word at all. When I finally got it I listened to it once, and loved it. Many of them songs here are less in your face punk prog train smashing into a gigantic beehive made of steel. But they are beautiful. So very very beautiful. There always were so many layers in Cardiacs songs, that after more than 2,000 plays I have listening to this bands that I love more than words will ever be able to describe, there are always new things to find. And eventually even in the noisiest wildest moments of Cardiacs, I will find sincere and touching beauty. Here on "Guns" there are many moments of this beauty. After tens of listens I can say, that Cardiacs still had it back in '99, and managed to create a genius album and a worthy follow up to the sensational, mind blowing "Sing To God". Underwhelming is not a bad word at all.

A few things about the sound: it is more or less the same as any Cardiacs album, but different. It is quieter, more pastoral. It seems to me Tim Smith has been influenced by his mesmerizing side project "Spratley's Japs". The sound here at times is more psychedelic, more spacey, breathes more. The studio effects are put here to very good use, as these wonderful sound effects coat the songs in a supernatural aura.

A few things about the songs: They're spectacular. "Spell With A Shell", opens this album, and it's a bit of surprise. You can hear a change of sound. But it's grown on me and is a classic. "There's Good Cud" explodes with the insane energy you'd expect from Cardiacs, and wakes you up. "Cry Wet Smile Dry"- now that is a song. My god you can cry from the energy of this song, this wailing incredible chorus. "Jitterbug" has this long and twisting development until it slides into a very long and hypnotic psychedelic outro. Just bliss. "Clean That Evil Mud Out Your Soul"- this song is heaven. Cardiacs heaven. It takes this most hysterical and ridiculous line, twists it into so many time changes that I can hardly breathe, and opens into a chorus that always makes me think of go-go dancers (I don't know why don't ask me). "Signs"- this song is GENIUS. Tim Smith quivers like a mouse here on vocals, and it makes me grin. "Will Bleed Amen"- not much to say of this song. All there is to say it- it is the best thing to have been summoned to Earth by Tim Smith. It's bluesy riff (as bluesy as Cardiacs can be) gives me goosebumps especially when they get to the singing. I can't understand how someone can write something so beautiful and be human.

Unfortunately, "Come Back Clammy Lammy" is probably the one song separating this album from 5 stars. It is not a bad song, Cardiacs will never, ever write a bad song (Tim Smith himself said that he hates bad songs- proof right there). It's just not great as the rest of the album, and goes on a bit too long. "Sleep All Eyes Open", while having a great chorus, is not a masterpiece.

Musicians? All great. I don't really need to elongate. Listen to "Clean That Dirty Mud Out Your Soul". Case closed.

I really cannot think of a world without Cardiacs. Tim Smith is still recuperating from a stroke from '08 and is yet to get better. There is nothing as genius and pure, just pure music as Cardiacs. A world without them will just break the status quo of this planet.

Tim get well soon, all the best to you.

Send comments to frippism (BETA) | Report this review (#451017) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 22, 2011

3 stars Cardiacs is a band. I love them Cardiacs people and having read sundry reviews of their noise on this site it is clear that they is a quicksand minded band who pull you into their world and not lets go.....no never. So I guess I'm preaching to the converted in my scribblings. But hey ho, nothi ... (read more)

Report this review (#331155) | Posted by raggleman | Tuesday, November 23, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARDIACS "Guns"