Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt)

Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt) The Blue Effect & The Jazz Q Prague: Coniunctio album cover

Good, but non-essential

from partners
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Coniunctio I (19:15)
2. Návstěva U Tety Markéty, Vypití Sálku čaje / A Visit To Aunty Margaret For A Cup Of Tea (6:00)
3. Asi Půjdem Se Psem Ven / Perhaps We'll Probably Take The Dog Out (7:15)
4. Coniunctio II (7:15)

Total time 39:45

Search BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) The Blue Effect & The Jazz Q Prague: Coniunctio lyrics

Search BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) The Blue Effect & The Jazz Q Prague: Coniunctio tabs

- Radim Hladík / guitar, sound Fx
- Jiří Kozel / bass (1,2,4), bells
- Vlado Čech / drums (1,2,4)

With The Jazz Q Prague (1,3,4):
- Martin Kratochvil / piano, organ, trumpet
- Jiří Stivín / flute (solo track 2), Hawaiian flute, piccolo, alto saxophone, wood blocks, sound Fx
- Jiří Pellant / double bass
- Milan Vitoch / drums, harness bells

Artwork: Mikulás Medek (painting) with Stanislav Dvorský (design)

LP Supraphon ‎- 1 13 0845 (1970, Czechoslovakia) Stereo
LP Supraphon ‎- 0 13 0845 (1970, Czechoslovakia) Mono

CD Bonton ‎- BON 503100 2 (2001, Czech Republic) Remastered by Oldřich Slezák

and to Quinino for the last updates

BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) The Blue Effect & The Jazz Q Prague: Coniunctio Music

More places to buy BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) music online Buy BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) The Blue Effect & The Jazz Q Prague: Coniunctio ratings distribution

BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) The Blue Effect & The Jazz Q Prague: Coniunctio reviews

Review by snobb
5 stars Fantastic early jazz-rock album, combining two greatest Czech bands - Blue Effect and Jazz Q Praha. Second and last studio release still released by Blue Effect under such English name ( later under Socialist Czech government pressure they changed name for Modry Effekt, or just M Effekt).

Just four compositions, but what a bright, fresh and energetic free-jazz chaos they play there! Blue Effect, being a power trio with blues-rock roots, brings heavy electric guitar (by excellent guitarist Radim Hladik) and very energetic rock-jamming atmosphere. Jazz Q Praha is jazz quartet at his very early step mixing free jazz improvisation with jazz-rock knocking on the door ( the year is 1970). Their participation gave excellent flute, organ, acoustic piano and very free atmosphere as great addition to Blue Effect's power trio better structurized sound. (By the way, Jazz Q Praha flautist Jiří Stivín will participate on later Blue Effect albums).

Unique combination of two great components - free-jazz quartet and blues-rock based jamming power trio, both on their very early steps to fresh-born jazz fusion - gave very informal musicianship and have some pros against both band's later, more matured albums.

Absolute must have recordings for everyone interested in Eastern European jazz fusion roots. Originally released as LP in Czechoslovakia only, now it is available as Sony CD re-release.

Really 4,5!

5 stars 4.5 stars. This is what happens when two legendary bands get together to record an album. BLUE EFFECT who are a trio at this point (as the vocalist / flute player from the debut is gone) join forces with JAZZ Q in what has to be an unprecidented event. I've just never heard of two bands at this level doing this before for a whole album. It's also not what I was expecting at all music-wise.This is Avant-garde and very challenging.This is definitely for the adventerous music lover.

"Coniunctio I" is the over 19 minute side long suite to get us warmed up. Actually i'm sweating when this one ends. It explodes to begin with in a very Avant-garde way as dissonant sounds fill the air. Very chaotic then it settles in before a minute with guitar standing out. Nice. Check out the bass before 2 1/2 minutes.Then it starts to build like a slow moving train with organ and horns helping out. Sax before 4 minutes. The guitar solos after 7 minutes then we get a calm with flute a minute later. Piano replaces the flute after 10 1/2 minutes and then turns discordant. Guitar and drums are back after 12 minutes. Flute joins in too. Some great sounding bass after 16 minutes then it turns avant once again.

"A Visit To Aunty Margaret For A Cup Of Tea" opens with flute and other sounds then the tempo picks up a minute in. The guitar sounds great 2 minutes in then it settles back with flute but not for long as contrasts continue throughout. Excellent track. "Perhaps We'll Probably Take The Dog Out" opens in a dissonant way with drums, horns and piano. Check out the drumming 3 minutes in. Intense section. It then settles before 4 minutes before the intensity returns. "Coniunctio II" opens with guitar and flute then drums join in as it builds. Some nice bass too. It turns wild before 5 1/2 minutes then settles back as the guitar solos and drums pound. The insane finish did not come as a surprise (haha).

A tough album to digest at times but man this is a blast. This may turn into a 5 star record for me in the future. It did.

Review by Seyo
Seyo avatar
2 stars This was a painful listening for me! As a newcomer to this Czech legendary band, I was led by relatively high marks of this album here on PA. I love jazz-rock. But I don't like "Coniunctio". Perhaps I should start somewhere else in the MODRY EFEKT catalogue. There is too much soloing, too much improvising and too much technical approach to the instrumental part of the album. I can't hear much consistent ideas or melodic developments so I was bored to death! I am sure they are a great band but this album just don't stick on me. I guess this is only for devoted fans of all sorts of jazz-rock experimentation. The only decent track here is "Návstěva u tety Markéty, vypití ?álku čaje". The remaining stuff is music for musicians and I am not the one.

Review by octopus-4
3 stars Totally different from the debut that was almost all made of blues, this album marks a sudden change in the band's direction.

The album is opened by a side long track: "Coniuctio I" which has still some blues inside but it's more hard. It would be more correct speaking of two different tracks joined together. I really don't hear any Jazz or Fusion in the first half. This is almost a psychedelic long track which contains chaotic parts, rock parts and also a flute solo in a Ian Anderson style (but without the folk tunes). Only when the bass replaces the flute at minute 10, it sounds like free jazz, of good quality too. The piano parts are chaotic and turn into less eclectic with guitar and flute.

The second track starts with a Canterbury flavour due to strings and flute, but many parts are more bluesy with psychedelic suggestions. Similar to early Caravan, just more rock.

"Perhaps we'll probably take the dog out". Perhaps and probably sound strange in the same sentence, but regardless the title, this is free jazz. It's a kind of music that requires some excercise from the listener. If youare not familiar with it I suggest to avoid concentrating on a single instrument and try to take pleasure from the ensemble. Let the music flow to your neck.

"Coniucto II" is the only track which can be defined as 100% Jazz Rock Fusion. It contains some blues, too and the general sensation is like Soft Machine meeting the Cream.

It's still a non-essential album, even if it's more mature and experimental than the debut, so I'm rating it with three stars, but in any case is a good album and if you like bop or other cold forms of jazz you won't be disappointed.

Review by Bonnek
Bonnek avatar
3 stars Blue Effect's second album is entirely different from their more streamlined symphonic sound of later years. Actually it's a clash between the acid blues-rock of their beginnings and another Czech band, Jazz Q Praha, a renowned local free jazz ensemble. The result is a sizzling album, brimming with chaotic tension and excitement. Much of it may seem like a terrifying slab of seemingly random noise but it's so vibrating with life and conviction that it remains entirely captivating.

The first track takes up half the album and is my favorite, it takes 7 minutes till it launches into a wild guitar solo. What preceded was pure sonic attack, bordering on free-jazz but with loads of rocking energy added into it. The rhythm section reminds of Led Zeppelin, with chunky bass and big pounding drums. Track2 is more melodic and traditional, bluesy in a Captain Beefheart sort of way. Track3 and 4 are largely free-jazz based jams with organs and sax clashing against guitars and drums.

Cool stuff. Approach at own risk.

Review by GruvanDahlman
3 stars The fifth album I explore by Modry Efekt is actually quite an amazing one. Coming off the blues and heading straight into this jazz rock-thing impresses me immensely. At first I listened only casually, on low volume, thinking it must be my future favorite by the band. When re-discovering it with headphones on I soon realised that it may not be.

The music on Coniunctio is very experimental and of it's time. The free form experiment on here is a bit much for me to swallow. The title track is cuirously enough a strange brew of free form and some sort of sturcture, which makes it all the more puzzling. The second track is slightly more conventional and the only track I truly enjoy. The remainng two is harder to digest.

I like the sound of the album, that is the sound of early 70's jazz rock with flutes and organ and whatnot. The problem for me lies more in the lack of structure. To me it becomes simply an exepriment in free form and I am not there. Yet, anyway. Maybe I will sometime change my mind but for now it is not really suited for my taste.

As a result of that, I will give the album two stars for the musical content and one star for the great effort and sound. If I want to listen to free form I will listen to Coniunctio, and I am going to return to it many more times to see if I grasp it. Until then, three stars.

2 stars Crazy jam for free-jaz fans only. It's interesting how quick the blues-rock band tried to turn into a jazz band. Yes, "tried" is a good word. This recording captures two most promising, and yet most avant-garde, groups of Czechoslovakia. Four tracks presents free-jazzrock jams. There is a l ... (read more)

Report this review (#266013) | Posted by b-side | Saturday, February 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) "The Blue Effect & The Jazz Q Prague: Coniunctio"