SVITANIE

Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt)

Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt) Svitanie album cover

Essential: a masterpiece of
progressive rock music

Buy BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) Music
Studio Album, released in 1977

1. Vysoká stolička, dlhý popol / High chair, long ashes (10:12)
2. Ej, padá, padá rosenka / Dew is falling, falling (6:36)
3. V sobotu popoludní / On Saturday afternoon (4:15)
4. Svitanie / Dawning (19:35)

Bonus track on 1998 CD re-issue:
5. Golem (1976 Supraphon) (6:47)

Search BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) Svitanie lyrics

Search BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) Svitanie tabs

- Vlado Čech / drums, percussion
- Fedor Freso / bass, bass mandoline, vocals, percussion
- Radim Hladík / acoustic & electric guitars
- Oldřich Veselý / acoustic & electric pianos, organ, Arp & string synths, vocals

Recorded in January 1977, in Pezinok (Slovakia) (tracks 1-4)

LP Opus 9116 0541
CD Opus 91 2629-2331 (1998) with 1 bonus track (in track listing)

and to marty mcfly for the last updates

BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) Svitanie Music

More places to buy BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) music online Buy BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) Svitanie ratings distribution

BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) Svitanie reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Now known as M Efekt, this group is almost entirely rebuilt from scratch from its previous incarnation of 73 (even if the album was released in 75) around Hladic and Cech, welcoming ex Collegium Musicum Fedor Freso on bass and Synkopy61 Oldrich Vesely keyboardist. The quartet now formed some sort of CzechMoravianSlovakian supergroup, modifying their sound to a very Yes-like soundscape. Generally known as their better works among progheads, this writer can't help but preferring their more fusion-esque album like their 73 album. While I have yet to see this album in Cd format with its original red & orange artwork instead of this bland b&w photo, this album IS indeed one of ME's best, because while being sort of derivative, ME manages to sound like their own group with its own sound.

With a very pleasant start with the 10-min Vysoka track, the group manages to foray through a large panel of moods and ambiances without sounding like "going through the motions", and it shows in the group's enthralling music. The shorter (relatively) Pada Rodenska is an absolutely fantastic Moravian folk song interrupted by some bold and daring Daffy/Donald Duck-like synth noises, but the track is probably the most memorable. Closing the album's first side is the Popoludni track is a bit jazzier than the rest of the album but closing weird synths

The sidelong title-track "epic" is a slow starter, with some multi-voiced lines, sending us towards Yes and early Soft Machine, finally lifting off around the 9-min mark, when the group takes Yes and Genesis-like unison march and adapt it to Slavic charms. The track gets lost a bit in a lengthy slower passage before returning to the early opening passages of the track. Considering the 19-min+ of the track, it seems this track could've been held to some 12 mins without losing a note, the useless expansion stopping this track from being of epic proportions. I find that ME's vocal delivery on this album is very much Italian-like, but timbre-wise, it sounds like a cross of Jon Anderson and Ian Gillan, if you can picture that.

The Cd re-issue comes with one bonus track, the harder-edged almost 7-min Golem, which would fit the album superbly if it had been better sung, but overall it is a very worthy addition. Almost quite as good as their 73 album, but quite different as well, you can easily jump on thios album, if you are into a symphonic mood.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#148288) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
5 stars That Radim Hladík is Czech Steve Howe ? That bass is very great here ? Let's see if these rumours are true.

Partially, this is very symphonic album. Not like their 1975 one which is great too, but in different way. Here, you can enjoy every sound produced, close your eyes and dream. You won't even notice that second track is Czech (in fact dialect of Czech, Moravian language) folklore song, performed in "this" style. Well, maybe it's Slovakian (they're very similar). I was little bit afraid of last track, so called epic. But even first minutes were not masterpiece, towards the end, it become one of the most original (so new sound), but still interesting LP side.

5(-) guys, one of the best of Czech 70's, but I wasn't expecting less from Modrý Efekt.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#250649) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 14, 2009

4 stars I wasn't blown away like I hoped I would be but this is very good music regardless. Not as good as say SBB or FERMATA's best albums, and I mention them because they're all in the same ballpark when it comes to music style. Anyway this is top notch playing with some inventive arrangments making this a must have.

"Vysoka Stolicka, Dlhy Popol" settles in with organ before a minute. Drums join in as it builds. Nice prominant bass here too. Guitar after 3 minutes. A calm 4 1/2 minutes in with synths. A classical vibe 6 1/2 minutes in then the guitar returns and it's outstanding. Great section. "Ej, Pada Rosenka" builds to an impressive instrumental display then it settles with vocals. Beautiful guitar work before 4 minutes with crisp drumming and throbbing bass lines. Gorgeous. Vocals come in as it settles again late.

"V Sobotu Popoludni" sounds amazing with huge bass lines. It picks up with guitar before 1 1/2 minutes. Synths follow. Check out the guitar before 3 minutes. There's that bass again. "Svitanie" is the side long closer. Atmosphere to opens. Vocals before 4 1/2 minutes as the atmosphere continues. Finally it comes to life 7 1/2 minutes in with drums then guitar leading the way. The guitar is lighting it up 9 1/2 minutes in. More killer guitar after 13 minutes. It's spacey with string synths after 16 minutes. The guitar solos beautifully as drums and bass support. Vocals are back before 18 minutes as it becomes atmospheric again like the start of this song.

A solid 4 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#290309) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Review by GruvanDahlman
4 stars This is my second album by Modry Efekt and I am pleasently surprised, yet again. It is a step forward, in some ways, from the previous effort. The previous album was in many ways very hard rock or heavy prog in it's sound and composition, while "Svitanie" is more symphonic and in some respecs more elaborate and complex.

My favorite track is "Ej, pad', pad' rosenka". I have no idea what it means but I do understand the music. Excellent playing, great organ and a guitar solo to die for. The track mixes heavier sounds with great subtlety and sensibility. It is a track I cannot stop listening to.

The first four tracks are all great and provides the listener with symphonic, complex yet instant prog. The jazz rock of the album before is almost gone, giving way for the sound of the last years of Modry Efekt. I do hear echoes of Yes but also other bands of the genre, like Exodus. Great stuff, retaining a true personality of it's own.

The title track begins really interesting but grows into a blues workout which I do not approve of. I am not impartial to blues. On the contrary. It is simply so that blues performed in this way, although it is the roots of the band, belongs somewhere else. The track becomes a blues number dressed in a framework of prog. It hides the brilliance that so obviously is there. Shame, really. I may change my mind but at the moment I am not amused.

Overall, though, "Svitanie" is yet again a great album from a great band. Easily four stars. More symphonic than the previous, which shows just how progressive this band was. Amazing stuff!

Send comments to GruvanDahlman (BETA) | Report this review (#935289) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 26, 2013

4 stars Good album, but a bit too derivative of then-current jazz-rock trends (i.e. too much Fender Rhodes and Starsky-and-Hutch funkery) and yes, the instrumental break in Svitanie is MUCH too long. But there is genuine talent here, as was evidenced by the even-better Svet Hledacu and the truly excel ... (read more)

Report this review (#94842) | Posted by Paul Stump | Tuesday, October 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one of the best prog records I've ever heard and my favorite by this outstanding Czechoslovak band. The amazing thing is, that the LP can be bought for a dollar or two here in Slovakia:) The note on the cover says: "Within the world frame we might find some common features by carefully ... (read more)

Report this review (#33859) | Posted by Pety | Monday, March 07, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BLUE EFFECT (MODRÝ EFEKT; M. EFEKT) "Svitanie"