THE DIRECTOR'S CUT

Buy FANTOMAS Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. The Godfather (2:46)
2. Der Golem (2:38)
3. Experiment in Terror (2:40)
4. One Step Beyond (2:58
5. Night of the Hunter (Remix) (0:58)
6. Cape Fear (1:48
7. Rosemary's Baby (3:20)
8. The Devil Rides Out (Remix) (1:38)
9. Spider Baby (2:26)
10. The Omen (1:49)
11. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (3:08)
12. Vendetta (1:59)
13. Untitled (0:04)
14. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (4:00)
15. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (3:28)
16. Charade (3:04)

Search FANTOMAS The Director's Cut lyrics

Search FANTOMAS The Director's Cut tabs

- Mike Patton / vocals/noises
- Buzz Osborne / guitar
- Trevor Dunn / bass
- Dave Lombardo / drums

Ipecac

FANTOMAS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FANTOMAS The Director's Cut Music

The Director's CutThe Director's Cut
Ipecac Recordings 2001
Director's Cut Live: A New Years RevolutionDirector's Cut Live: A New Years Revolution
Multiple Formats
Ipecac Recordings 2011
DVD$6.92
AN1-Fantomas The Director's Cut hoodie sweatshirt (longsleve available) USD $59.99 Buy It Now 11h 40m
AN1-Fantomas The Director's Cut hoodie sweatshirt (longsleve available) USD $59.99 Buy It Now 12h 8m
FANTOMAS **DIRECTORS CUT**CD USD $13.78 Buy It Now 3 days
Fantomas "Directors Cut" 2001 CD Mike Patton USD $9.99 [0 bids]
AN1-Fantomas The Director's Cut tank top (longsleve & hoodie available) USD $27.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Fantomas: The Director's Cut Live - A New Year's Revolution 0689230012993, DVD USD $19.97 Buy It Now 11 days
Fantomas-The Director's Cut CD NEW USD $14.37 Buy It Now 11 days
Fantomas : The Directors Cut CD (2001) USD $7.74 Buy It Now 13 days
FANTOMAS - THE DIRECTORS CUT CD ALBUM mike patton melvins slayer USD $8.50 Buy It Now 14 days
FANTOMAS - DIRECTOR'S CUT LIVE: A NEW YEARS REVOLUTION NEW DVD USD $15.40 Buy It Now 15 days
Director's Cut - Fantomas New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $19.46 Buy It Now 19 days
Fantomas - The Director's Cut - CD (IPC017 Ipecac 2001 Aus.) USD $16.20 Buy It Now 20 days
Fantomas The Director's Cut Feat. Mike Patton & Dave Lombardo USD $12.16 Buy It Now 21 days
Directors Cut - Fantomas (2001, CD New) USD $12.96 Buy It Now 23 days
FANTOMAS - DIRECTOR'S CUT NEW CD USD $16.73 Buy It Now 24 days
Fantomas - Directors Cut [CD New] USD $12.07 Buy It Now 24 days
Fantomas - Directors Cut CD USD $16.79 Buy It Now 24 days
AN1-Fantomas The Director's Cut t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) USD $23.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Fantomas / Mike Patton The Directors Cut - Like New USD $10.53 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy FANTOMAS music online Buy FANTOMAS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FANTOMAS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FANTOMAS The Director's Cut ratings distribution

FANTOMAS The Director's Cut reviews

Review by hdfisch
3 stars "The Director's Cut" is really the only accessible album of this band and not only this, it's moreover a very good album. Sometimes chaotic, mostly loud and scary but with some "nice" moments as well. For an album with mere music from horror movies soundtracks really good stuff, I've got to say. Really the only one of FANTOMAS I could not only support but even enjoy. I'm not sure whether one could call it a good addition to any prog collection but If you look for a good album of this band go for this one!!!

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#34056) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 07, 2005

Review by billyshears'67
4 stars Excellent, but I cannot give it the masterpiece stamp. Hey, it's basically a covers album, EXCEPT it's FANTOMAS covering the music, that's why I give it the 4 stars.

Excuse the 5 star rating, but I may be a bit biased here (my first album was "The Real Thing" by Faith No More at age 5, which features vocalist Mike Patton). Although, I don't really like the other material they've released (except Suspended Animation sounds really good, so far). You don't have to necessarily be a fan of the other works to like this one. It's more musical and very much less noise.

This album is a bunch of film score compositions covered by FANTOMAS. They do a brilliant job at recreating them in a very differnt fashion. Some films here are very obscure, some old, and some very popular "The Godfather" and "The Omen." This album is very fun to listen to and quite humorous. Mike Patton is a vocal acrobat, he always has been. Highlights are many, but I'd choose: The Godfather, The Omen: Ave Satani, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, and Charade. If you're looking for something different that you'll really enjoy and occasionally get a kick out of, then buy this album.

Peace & take care

Send comments to billyshears'67 (BETA) | Report this review (#34058) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 07, 2005

Review by frenchie
2 stars Fantomas are crazy! This is the 3rd album I have heard by this band. They have always been hit or miss for me as their material is so unpredictable, edgy, psychotic and difficult to listen to. I found "Delirium Cordia" to be an interesting yet highly messy experimental epic and i found "Suspended Animation" to be an amazing combination of metal and strange digital effects. This album however doesn't really excite me as much as the previous ones that I have listened to, maybe because it is still an early part of their discogrpahy.

I found "The Directors Cut" to be a neat idea, mainly consisting of twisted cover versions of horror movie theme music. The Fantomas sound is definitely there but it seems like a rather uninspiring and less epic album. The thing i liked about the other albums is that they seem to be one giant epic (regardless of how many tracks they may have), whilst this one seemed less like an epic and more like a collection of random tunes. There is little to enjoy here, the album is quite annoying and the whole movie concept seems a bit lacking in ideas.

It is interesting to see how well the band have worked these tunes and claimed them as their own, but I would much rather have heard some of the bands own written material. Overall this is quite an interesting listen, yet not an album I really get on with very well.

Send comments to frenchie (BETA) | Report this review (#55864) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 10, 2005

Review by Tristan Mulders
4 stars Fantômas - The Director's Cut

I suppose unlike most people I never heard of Mike Patton before I heard a song of this Fantômas album.. That's right.. I must have been living under a rock; I never heard a single song of his world famous Faith No More band. I know, I'm a cultural nitwit...

So back to Fantômas then... It was actually here on ProgArchives that I first a song by this innovative project. It was the incredible cover of the theme song for the film Rosemary's Baby that really excited me to discover more of the same. This song is true to the original, yet it is clearly an own rendition by this talented bunch of musicians.

In the meanwhile I discovered more of Patton's musical escapades and I learned that he is quite the genius... He has this very typical sound and style of music. I also discovered that most of his music shares the same type of tendencies, especially vocal wise, just like on this song "Rosemary's Baby"... Either you have his dreamy clean vocals or you get his high-pitched 'screaming voice'... What's also pretty remarkable about his voice is that Patton uses it as an instrument as well on certain moments. Something else that I noticed while listening to Fantômas as well as those other projects by Mike Patton was that the man is not too ashamed of putting a bit of humour in his compositions...

Well back to "The Director's Cut" then. As you might have noticed already, the 16 compositions on this album are all covers of famous and lesser famous film soundtracks. To be quite honest, I love watching films and I've seen quite a bunch of them, but I was not really familiar with any of the ones included here... But that did not keep me from enjoying this album. Quite the opposite actually: after listening to this album over and over again, I began to get very interested in hearing the original scores to the films and I started searching the various films. I mean, I became a David Lynch fan mostly because Fantômas' cover of the Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me theme kept haunting me for days!

Fantômas recreate 15 (the one remaining track -#13- is just a few seconds of silence) film soundtracks in their highly original manner, ranging from still from spacey electro rock to trash metal and back... As I said before the vocals are pretty varied and this in combination with several extreme metal parts might make this album a bit tough to 'get into', but nevertheless I think it's one hell of a progressive effort nevertheless, so don't get fooled by the extreme short track lengths (at least short by 'progressive' terms)!

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#117492) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 06, 2007

Review by Syzygy
3 stars 3.5 stars

Ladies and Gentlemen ... Mike Patton sings!

In Fantomas' discography so far, The Director's cut is the joker in the pack. We have the high concept - cover versions of famous film theme songs; the Zorn reference - Naked City's debut album likewise featured several adaptations of movie themes; but on this occasion Mike Patton chose to sing at least some of the songs with intelligible lyrics in the English language and recognisable melodies. The results are highly - and surprisingly - enjoyable, and show yet another intriguing facet of Mike Patton's bizarre imagination.

The Director's cut works for several reasons. First and foremost it's a valuable reminder of just how good a singer Mike Patton can be, and his voice lends itself especially well to the themes of the films noir and horror movies which have been such a strong influence on his work. It's also a project that doesn't take itself too seriously - although Mike and the boys play it more or less straight, their tongues are planted firmly in their cheeks and there's a camp, slightly ghoulish sense of humour in evidence throughout. None of which means that Fantomas have gone soft - far from it. Many of the songs feature an interlude of the ear bleeding death metal that they do so well, but some of the genre blending eclecticism of Mr Bungle is also in evidence; their take on the cocktail hour jazz of 1960s is remarkably convincing. Finally, they pull off the neat trick of remaining faithful to the spirit of the original versions while still sounding unmistakably like themselves. Stand out tracks include Rosemary's Baby and Experiment in Terror, the latter featuring a relatively straightforward vocal part, but there isn't a weak track on here.

The Directors Cut is the most accessible Fantomas album to date, but also the least representative of their ever mutating sound. Apparently What A Feeling from Flashdance was to have been included, which would have been intriguing, and it would have been interesting to hear their interpretation of a James Bond theme (From Russia With Love would get my vote, in the extremely unlikely event that any of the band read this [and should they decide to make Directors Cut vol. 2]), but you can't have everything. Recommended.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#168607) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 24, 2008

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars I'm basically a sucker for Mike Patton. No matter if it's his work with Faith No More, Tomahawk, Mr.Bungle, Fantômas, Peeping Tom or the solo material Patton manages to put his own twist into every single one of these projects.

Doing covers of popular movie scores would seem quite harmless unless you let Fantômas handle the project! Yes, this type of music idea has already been explored by others, most notably John Zorn's Naked City, but just like I mentioned earlier Patton's projects have his unique twist to them that I just adore. Especially if you have an excellent Death Metal drummer like Dave Lombardo on board who adds that Slayer flavor into the mix that we all expect him to.

This set of compositions is just another crazy output from Mike Patton and the lineup that I can't quite explain so you just have to take my word for it. This material is definitely not recommended to everyone out there which can be understood by looking at the RIO/Avant-Prog tag that this project has received. Sometimes the music is intense, sometimes very diverse but most of the time it's just freaking out-of-this-world!

***** star songs: Experiment In Terror (2:40) Vendetta (1:59)

**** star songs: The Godfather (2:46) Der Golem (2:38) One Step Beyond (2:58) Night Of The Hunter (Remix) (0:58) Cape Fear (1:48) Rosemary's Baby (3:20) The Devil Rides Out (Remix) (1:38) The Omen (1:49) Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (3:08) Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion (4:00) Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (3:28) Charade (3:04)

*** star songs: Spider Baby (2:26) Untitled (0:04)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#259760) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 07, 2010

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Weird (but somehow cool) soundtrack covers.

The music of Fantomas is not that easy to listen or dig, nor to classify, they also have something quite different to offer from one album to other, but with somewhat their own sound.

If you are familiar with Mike Patton´s works, you might know that he is an incredibly innovative and imaginative singer, he has incurred to different styles and always managed to sound interesting; with Fantomas, and in particular in this album, his vocal work is pretty good because together with the music it makes a weird but nice communion, so as a result their compositions are pretty good.

What you will find, in this album named "The Director's Cut", are 16 short songs taken from some soundtracks of interesting movies, and transformed to that Fantomas sound, with aggressiveness in several moments, but quietness in others, inviting the listener to explore and imagine those songs ala Fantomas taking you to the film itself. I have to be honest, and tell you that the first time I listened to The Godfather's Theme, I really laugh about it, I said that was ridiculous, but with time and actually opening my mind, I understand that all of that had a goal.

This album has 16 songs and a total time of 39 minutes, so the songs are pretty short; their tag here is a RIO-Avant band, yeah that may be accurate but in this case some of their songs sound as a metal band (you know, I am not an expert on that matter, so after all that is not important)

My favourite songs are "Experiment in Terror"; "Rosemary's Baby" and "Twin Peaks", strong songs that will catch you.

The album is nice, you will hear something different and even entertaining, but as a prog fan, I only listen to this every once in a while, not very keen on Fantomas music actually, but this is good. My final grade is 3 stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#276517) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 05, 2010

5 stars Mike Patton, the genius behind Faith No More, Mr. Bungle and countless other projects is also the genius behind Fantomas. With Fantomas, he has explored a wide array of musical styles by putting his own stamp of craziness on it, but this project is one of his most eclectic. What you have in th ... (read more)

Report this review (#1327648) | Posted by TCat | Tuesday, December 23, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Best album i have heard i long, long time when it comes to say about album being PROGRESSIVE. This one is truly madly deeply PROGRESSIVE and experimental album covering horror movie tunes which you couldnt recognise if you heard the real one afterwards in exception of godfather. Other Fantom ... (read more)

Report this review (#50163) | Posted by | Wednesday, October 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is Fantomas at their best, that's not to say their other two albums aren't either though. It's chaotic, creepy and loud. Some of the are very intense (The Godfather, Vendetta) but many build up and explode in your ears (Rosemary's Baby, Henry-Portrait of a Serial Killer, and Investig ... (read more)

Report this review (#34055) | Posted by Spanky | Friday, January 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is REALLY, REALLY GOOD and it ideed has more "sense" and "frames" than the first album, but isnt any less experimental. Album contains theme tunes from horror movies heavily modified. For example theme from godfather opens with that original, beautiful theme from movie but then...nex ... (read more)

Report this review (#34054) | Posted by | Friday, January 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FANTOMAS "The Director's Cut "