THE DIRECTOR'S CUT

Buy FANTOMAS Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. The Godfather (2:46)
2. Der Golem (2:38)
3. Experiment in Terror (2:40)
4. One Step Beyond (2:58
5. Night of the Hunter (Remix) (0:58)
6. Cape Fear (1:48
7. Rosemary's Baby (3:20)
8. The Devil Rides Out (Remix) (1:38)
9. Spider Baby (2:26)
10. The Omen (1:49)
11. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (3:08)
12. Vendetta (1:59)
13. Untitled (0:04)
14. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (4:00)
15. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (3:28)
16. Charade (3:04)

Search FANTOMAS The Director's Cut lyrics

Search FANTOMAS The Director's Cut tabs

- Mike Patton / vocals/noises
- Buzz Osborne / guitar
- Trevor Dunn / bass
- Dave Lombardo / drums

Ipecac

FANTOMAS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FANTOMAS The Director's Cut Music

The Director's CutThe Director's Cut
Ipecac Recordings 2001
Suspended Animation (Limited Edition)Suspended Animation (Limited Edition)
Limited Edition
Ipecac Recordings 2005
FantomasFantomas
Ipecac Recordings 1999
Delirium CordiaDelirium Cordia
Ipecac Recordings 2004
Director's Cut Live: A New Years RevolutionDirector's Cut Live: A New Years Revolution
Multiple Formats
Ipecac Recordings 2011
DVD$4.35
Fantomas - The Director's Cut CD soundtrack covers 2001 Ipecac US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
3 Fantomas Promo CD Delirium + Directors + Experiment Mike Patton Faith No More US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 2m
DJ SPOOKY & DAVE LOMBARDO Drums of Death CD Slayer Fantomas Public Enemy Chuck D US $5.00 [1 bids]
FANTOMAS- The Director's Cut CD (PROMO 2001) Rare IPC 17, EX US $10.93 Buy It Now 15h 44m
MELVINS + FANTOMAS - Millennium Monsterwork CD US $9.82 [0 bids]
Fantomas "Delrium Cordia" 2003 CD Mike Patton US $9.99 [0 bids]
Fantomas "Directors Cut" 2001 CD Mike Patton US $9.99 [0 bids]
Fantomas "Suspended Animation" 2005 CD Mike Patton US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gluey Porch Treatments by The Melvins CD Ipecac Patton Fantomas Nirvana Boris US $7.99 [0 bids]
Mangled Demos from 1983 by Melvins CD Ipecac Nirvana Patton Fantomas Isis Boris US $7.99 [0 bids]
Fantomas Suspended Animation Yoshitomo Nara Limited Art Mike Patton Fantômas US $2.99 [0 bids]
PEEPING TOM 7" MOJO YELLOW VINYL MIKE PATTON MR BUNGLE MELVINS FANTOMAS SLAYER US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Fantomas/Faith No More AUSTRALIAN 2005 Tour RARE POSTER US $8.98 [0 bids]
DIRECTORS CUT BY FANTOMAS (CD) US $19.82 Buy It Now 1 day
LIVE FROM LONDON 2006 BY FANTOMAS (DVD) US $16.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Daiquiri Fantomas - Mhz Invasion [CD New] US $16.57 Buy It Now 1 day
MIKE PATTON FANTOMAS MELVINS MALDOROR CD LOT FAITH NO MORE LIVE DVD 1995 CHILE US $27.00 [0 bids]
THE MELVINS / FANTOMAS Sugar Daddy Split 12" splatter VINYL US $39.99 [0 bids]
The Fantomas Melvins Big Band - Millennium Monsterwork CD Ipecac 2002 US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Fantomas : Fantomas CD (2000) US $13.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Fantomas by Fant“omas (CD, 2001) Mike Patton Faith No More rare Amenaza al Mundo US $3.25 [0 bids]
Melvins/Fantomas Sugar Daddy Split Volume 10 UNPLAYED Clear Splatter /700 Copies US $39.99 [0 bids]
Director's Cut - Fantomas New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.46 Buy It Now 2 days
Delirium Cordia - Fantomas New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.85 Buy It Now 2 days
MISMOPLASTICO-Compilation-DJ SULTAN-Hyperfreak-VIRTUALMISMO-Fantomas-JAKYRO-Cd US $9.99 [0 bids]
Free*Postage Philm B/W Dave Lombardo Drum Fiction Melvins Fantomas Slayer US $18.50 [0 bids]
WON JAMES WON Tol's Toy CD (Russian Mr Bungle Fantomas Mike Patton Genghis Tron) US $4.99 [0 bids]
RARE PROMO Mr. Bungle CD California MIKE PATTON Secret Chiefs 3 Fantomas FNM '99 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
RARE PROMO Mr. Bungle CD Disco Volante MIKE PATTON Secret Chiefs 3 Fantomas FNM US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
FANTOMAS, Daiquiri - MHz Invasion - CD US $22.13 Buy It Now 3 days
Fantomas by Fantomas (Melvins Faith no more Mike Patton Mr Bungle) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Fantomas CD AMENAZA al MUNDO mike Patton tomahawk mr bungle faith no more zorn US $7.99 [0 bids]
Fantomas Melvins Millennium Monsterwork w/Mike Patton, Dave Lombardo,King Buzzo US $0.99 [0 bids]
Fantomas The Directors Cut Cd US $7.99 [0 bids]
melvins FANTOMAS sugar daddy split series #10 Slayer US $49.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Mhz Invasion - Fantomas Daiquiri New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $22.43 Buy It Now 4 days
Fantomas Delirium Cordia 2 LP Vinyl Mike Patton Faith No More Mr Bungle Melvins US $64.99 [0 bids]
6 CD's Album From Micheal Patton, Mr. Bungle, Faith No More And Fantomas US $0.99 [1 bids]
FANTOMAS **SUSPENDED ANIMATION (LTD DLX CALENDAR)**CD US $13.78 Buy It Now 4 days
(EN179) Daiquiri Fantomas, Moogchile - 2013 DJ CD US $4.90 Buy It Now 4 days
Melvins -Ozma / Gluey Porch Treatments CD eyehategod fantomas jesus lizard US $3.99 [1 bids]
Suspended Animation [Limited] by Fantomas CD 2006 Mike Patton US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Mr. Bungle s/t cd Dillinger Escape Plan Fantomas Faith no more US $15.00 Buy It Now 5 days
BURST - Conquest : Writhe CD 1.p 2001 PRANK Records / fantomas solefald leprous US $33.00 Buy It Now 5 days
FANTOMAS - Fantômas CD 1999 Ipecac Recordings Faith No More US $39.00 Buy It Now 5 days
FAITH NO MORE - Angel Dust - GOLD DISC 1992 Globus Cze fantomas mr.bungle US $29.00 Buy It Now 5 days
HARDCORE ANAL HYDROGEN The Talas Of Satan CD Boredoms naked city fantomas praxis US $14.98 Buy It Now 5 days
Melvins SOLD OUT 2x10" VINYL MANGLED DEMOS FROM 1983 RECORD ( Fantomas US $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
FANTOMAS - SUSPENDED ANIMATION (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $18.54 Buy It Now 5 days
Faith No More Tomahawk Fantomas Mr Bungle Lovage Peeping Tom Mondo Cane US $134.77 Buy It Now 6 days
CD: FANTOMAS The Director's Cut US $9.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Fantomas / Mike Patton The Directors Cut - Like New US $9.92 Buy It Now 6 days
FANTOMAS - DIRECTOR'S CUT LIVE: A NEW YEARS REVOLUTION NEW DVD US $17.07 Buy It Now 6 days
Fantomas Delirium Cordia cd US $7.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Daiquiri Fantomas - Mhz Invasion CD US $18.28 Buy It Now 6 days
Fantomas - Directors Cut CD US $16.18 Buy It Now 6 days
Fantomas CD US $16.52 Buy It Now 6 days
Fantomas - Suspended Animation [CD New] US $12.01 Buy It Now 6 days
(EN408) Daiquiri Fantomas, Moogchile - 2013 DJ CD US $4.02 Buy It Now 6 days
FANTOMAS / MELVIN BIG BAND - LIVE FROM LONDON 2006 NEW DVD US $15.60 Buy It Now 7 days
FANTOMAS Custom Chrome OUTDOOR Vinyl Decal Sticker 8 x 3 patton faith no m *NEW* US $8.98 Buy It Now 7 days
TOMAHAWK: M.E.A.T. / CURTAIN CALL 2014 7" MIKE PATTON / FANTOMAS / SEALED US $9.82 Buy It Now 7 days
Mr Bungle Self Titled First Album 12" Vinyl LP Record fantomas/faith no more NEW US $23.39 Buy It Now 7 days
Mike Patton 'Adult Themes for voice' Faith No More,Fantomas,Mr Bungle US $4.49 [0 bids]
Mike Patton 'Mondo Cane' Faith No More,Fantomas,Tomahawk US $4.49 [1 bids]
DAIQUIRI FANTOMAS - MHZ INVASION - NEW CD US $13.59 Buy It Now 8 days
Fantomas by Fantômas (CD, Apr-1999, Ipecac (Label)) US $4.79 Buy It Now 8 days
Fantomas Melvins Big Band Live From London 2006 DVD US $14.14 Buy It Now 8 days
Fantomas - Suspended Animation CD US $16.52 Buy It Now 8 days
TOMAHAWK "Oddfellows" LP 2013, Ipecac (Vinyl) Mr Bungle/Fantomas/Jesus Lizard US $19.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Fantômas - Suspended Animation Japan CD! Fantomas US $18.99 Buy It Now 8 days
(EP63) Daiquiri Fantomas, Moon Raga - 2013 DJ CD US $2.54 Buy It Now 8 days
Fantomas by Fantômas (CD, Apr-1999, Ipecac (Label)) Mike Patton Dave Lombardo US $4.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Faith no more new bungle patton mr mike fantomas black tee t-shirt US $17.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Faith no more 2 new bungle patton mr mike fantomas black tee t-shirt US $17.99 Buy It Now 9 days
CHILD ABUSE self-titled CD no wave / grindcore flying luttenbachers fantomas NEW US $9.98 Buy It Now 9 days
The Fantomas Melvins Big Band : Millenium Monsterwork CD (2002) US $10.05 Buy It Now 9 days
Faith No More Lot of 3 1" pins buttons Punk Mike Patton Fantomas Mr Bungle Metal US $2.99 Buy It Now 10 days

More places to buy FANTOMAS music online Buy FANTOMAS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FANTOMAS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FANTOMAS The Director's Cut ratings distribution

FANTOMAS The Director's Cut reviews

Review by hdfisch
3 stars "The Director's Cut" is really the only accessible album of this band and not only this, it's moreover a very good album. Sometimes chaotic, mostly loud and scary but with some "nice" moments as well. For an album with mere music from horror movies soundtracks really good stuff, I've got to say. Really the only one of FANTOMAS I could not only support but even enjoy. I'm not sure whether one could call it a good addition to any prog collection but If you look for a good album of this band go for this one!!!

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#34056) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 07, 2005

Review by billyshears'67
4 stars Excellent, but I cannot give it the masterpiece stamp. Hey, it's basically a covers album, EXCEPT it's FANTOMAS covering the music, that's why I give it the 4 stars.

Excuse the 5 star rating, but I may be a bit biased here (my first album was "The Real Thing" by Faith No More at age 5, which features vocalist Mike Patton). Although, I don't really like the other material they've released (except Suspended Animation sounds really good, so far). You don't have to necessarily be a fan of the other works to like this one. It's more musical and very much less noise.

This album is a bunch of film score compositions covered by FANTOMAS. They do a brilliant job at recreating them in a very differnt fashion. Some films here are very obscure, some old, and some very popular "The Godfather" and "The Omen." This album is very fun to listen to and quite humorous. Mike Patton is a vocal acrobat, he always has been. Highlights are many, but I'd choose: The Godfather, The Omen: Ave Satani, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, and Charade. If you're looking for something different that you'll really enjoy and occasionally get a kick out of, then buy this album.

Peace & take care

Send comments to billyshears'67 (BETA) | Report this review (#34058) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 07, 2005

Review by frenchie
2 stars Fantomas are crazy! This is the 3rd album I have heard by this band. They have always been hit or miss for me as their material is so unpredictable, edgy, psychotic and difficult to listen to. I found "Delirium Cordia" to be an interesting yet highly messy experimental epic and i found "Suspended Animation" to be an amazing combination of metal and strange digital effects. This album however doesn't really excite me as much as the previous ones that I have listened to, maybe because it is still an early part of their discogrpahy.

I found "The Directors Cut" to be a neat idea, mainly consisting of twisted cover versions of horror movie theme music. The Fantomas sound is definitely there but it seems like a rather uninspiring and less epic album. The thing i liked about the other albums is that they seem to be one giant epic (regardless of how many tracks they may have), whilst this one seemed less like an epic and more like a collection of random tunes. There is little to enjoy here, the album is quite annoying and the whole movie concept seems a bit lacking in ideas.

It is interesting to see how well the band have worked these tunes and claimed them as their own, but I would much rather have heard some of the bands own written material. Overall this is quite an interesting listen, yet not an album I really get on with very well.

Send comments to frenchie (BETA) | Report this review (#55864) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 10, 2005

Review by Tristan Mulders
4 stars Fantômas - The Director's Cut

I suppose unlike most people I never heard of Mike Patton before I heard a song of this Fantômas album.. That's right.. I must have been living under a rock; I never heard a single song of his world famous Faith No More band. I know, I'm a cultural nitwit...

So back to Fantômas then... It was actually here on ProgArchives that I first a song by this innovative project. It was the incredible cover of the theme song for the film Rosemary's Baby that really excited me to discover more of the same. This song is true to the original, yet it is clearly an own rendition by this talented bunch of musicians.

In the meanwhile I discovered more of Patton's musical escapades and I learned that he is quite the genius... He has this very typical sound and style of music. I also discovered that most of his music shares the same type of tendencies, especially vocal wise, just like on this song "Rosemary's Baby"... Either you have his dreamy clean vocals or you get his high-pitched 'screaming voice'... What's also pretty remarkable about his voice is that Patton uses it as an instrument as well on certain moments. Something else that I noticed while listening to Fantômas as well as those other projects by Mike Patton was that the man is not too ashamed of putting a bit of humour in his compositions...

Well back to "The Director's Cut" then. As you might have noticed already, the 16 compositions on this album are all covers of famous and lesser famous film soundtracks. To be quite honest, I love watching films and I've seen quite a bunch of them, but I was not really familiar with any of the ones included here... But that did not keep me from enjoying this album. Quite the opposite actually: after listening to this album over and over again, I began to get very interested in hearing the original scores to the films and I started searching the various films. I mean, I became a David Lynch fan mostly because Fantômas' cover of the Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me theme kept haunting me for days!

Fantômas recreate 15 (the one remaining track -#13- is just a few seconds of silence) film soundtracks in their highly original manner, ranging from still from spacey electro rock to trash metal and back... As I said before the vocals are pretty varied and this in combination with several extreme metal parts might make this album a bit tough to 'get into', but nevertheless I think it's one hell of a progressive effort nevertheless, so don't get fooled by the extreme short track lengths (at least short by 'progressive' terms)!

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#117492) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 06, 2007

Review by Syzygy
3 stars 3.5 stars

Ladies and Gentlemen ... Mike Patton sings!

In Fantomas' discography so far, The Director's cut is the joker in the pack. We have the high concept - cover versions of famous film theme songs; the Zorn reference - Naked City's debut album likewise featured several adaptations of movie themes; but on this occasion Mike Patton chose to sing at least some of the songs with intelligible lyrics in the English language and recognisable melodies. The results are highly - and surprisingly - enjoyable, and show yet another intriguing facet of Mike Patton's bizarre imagination.

The Director's cut works for several reasons. First and foremost it's a valuable reminder of just how good a singer Mike Patton can be, and his voice lends itself especially well to the themes of the films noir and horror movies which have been such a strong influence on his work. It's also a project that doesn't take itself too seriously - although Mike and the boys play it more or less straight, their tongues are planted firmly in their cheeks and there's a camp, slightly ghoulish sense of humour in evidence throughout. None of which means that Fantomas have gone soft - far from it. Many of the songs feature an interlude of the ear bleeding death metal that they do so well, but some of the genre blending eclecticism of Mr Bungle is also in evidence; their take on the cocktail hour jazz of 1960s is remarkably convincing. Finally, they pull off the neat trick of remaining faithful to the spirit of the original versions while still sounding unmistakably like themselves. Stand out tracks include Rosemary's Baby and Experiment in Terror, the latter featuring a relatively straightforward vocal part, but there isn't a weak track on here.

The Directors Cut is the most accessible Fantomas album to date, but also the least representative of their ever mutating sound. Apparently What A Feeling from Flashdance was to have been included, which would have been intriguing, and it would have been interesting to hear their interpretation of a James Bond theme (From Russia With Love would get my vote, in the extremely unlikely event that any of the band read this [and should they decide to make Directors Cut vol. 2]), but you can't have everything. Recommended.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#168607) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 24, 2008

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars I'm basically a sucker for Mike Patton. No matter if it's his work with Faith No More, Tomahawk, Mr.Bungle, Fantômas, Peeping Tom or the solo material Patton manages to put his own twist into every single one of these projects.

Doing covers of popular movie scores would seem quite harmless unless you let Fantômas handle the project! Yes, this type of music idea has already been explored by others, most notably John Zorn's Naked City, but just like I mentioned earlier Patton's projects have his unique twist to them that I just adore. Especially if you have an excellent Death Metal drummer like Dave Lombardo on board who adds that Slayer flavor into the mix that we all expect him to.

This set of compositions is just another crazy output from Mike Patton and the lineup that I can't quite explain so you just have to take my word for it. This material is definitely not recommended to everyone out there which can be understood by looking at the RIO/Avant-Prog tag that this project has received. Sometimes the music is intense, sometimes very diverse but most of the time it's just freaking out-of-this-world!

***** star songs: Experiment In Terror (2:40) Vendetta (1:59)

**** star songs: The Godfather (2:46) Der Golem (2:38) One Step Beyond (2:58) Night Of The Hunter (Remix) (0:58) Cape Fear (1:48) Rosemary's Baby (3:20) The Devil Rides Out (Remix) (1:38) The Omen (1:49) Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (3:08) Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion (4:00) Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (3:28) Charade (3:04)

*** star songs: Spider Baby (2:26) Untitled (0:04)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#259760) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 07, 2010

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Weird (but somehow cool) soundtrack covers.

The music of Fantomas is not that easy to listen or dig, nor to classify, they also have something quite different to offer from one album to other, but with somewhat their own sound.

If you are familiar with Mike Patton´s works, you might know that he is an incredibly innovative and imaginative singer, he has incurred to different styles and always managed to sound interesting; with Fantomas, and in particular in this album, his vocal work is pretty good because together with the music it makes a weird but nice communion, so as a result their compositions are pretty good.

What you will find, in this album named "The Director's Cut", are 16 short songs taken from some soundtracks of interesting movies, and transformed to that Fantomas sound, with aggressiveness in several moments, but quietness in others, inviting the listener to explore and imagine those songs ala Fantomas taking you to the film itself. I have to be honest, and tell you that the first time I listened to The Godfather's Theme, I really laugh about it, I said that was ridiculous, but with time and actually opening my mind, I understand that all of that had a goal.

This album has 16 songs and a total time of 39 minutes, so the songs are pretty short; their tag here is a RIO-Avant band, yeah that may be accurate but in this case some of their songs sound as a metal band (you know, I am not an expert on that matter, so after all that is not important)

My favourite songs are "Experiment in Terror"; "Rosemary's Baby" and "Twin Peaks", strong songs that will catch you.

The album is nice, you will hear something different and even entertaining, but as a prog fan, I only listen to this every once in a while, not very keen on Fantomas music actually, but this is good. My final grade is 3 stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#276517) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 05, 2010

5 stars Best album i have heard i long, long time when it comes to say about album being PROGRESSIVE. This one is truly madly deeply PROGRESSIVE and experimental album covering horror movie tunes which you couldnt recognise if you heard the real one afterwards in exception of godfather. Other Fantom ... (read more)

Report this review (#50163) | Posted by | Wednesday, October 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is Fantomas at their best, that's not to say their other two albums aren't either though. It's chaotic, creepy and loud. Some of the are very intense (The Godfather, Vendetta) but many build up and explode in your ears (Rosemary's Baby, Henry-Portrait of a Serial Killer, and Investig ... (read more)

Report this review (#34055) | Posted by Spanky | Friday, January 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is REALLY, REALLY GOOD and it ideed has more "sense" and "frames" than the first album, but isnt any less experimental. Album contains theme tunes from horror movies heavily modified. For example theme from godfather opens with that original, beautiful theme from movie but then...nex ... (read more)

Report this review (#34054) | Posted by | Friday, January 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FANTOMAS "The Director's Cut "