STRANGELANDS

Buy THE ARTHUR BROWN BAND Music
Studio Album, released in 1988

PART ONE: THE COUNTRY
1. Life Jacket (2:03)
2. Purple Airport Of Love (3:08)
3. All Over The Country (2:24)
4. The Lord Doesnt Want You (3:03)

PART TWO: THE CITY
5. The Sound Of The City (5:39)

PART THREE: THE COSMOS
6. All Forms And Distinctions (5:40)
7. Beyond The See (4:33)
8. Planets Of The Universe (6:18)
9. Twisted Wreckage (1:05)
10. Hold On Cosmos (6:49)

PART FOUR: THE AFTERLIFE
11. Endless Sleep (2:23)

Rustic Hinges: REPLICAS
On The Lawn For 3
12. a) Excitation Wavelength (3:32)
13. b) Litmus Transformation (2:05)
14. c) Opus Pocus (3:17)
15. d) Crystallized Petard (6:53)
16. e) Kinesis (2:37)
17. f) But That Was Then That Was But (4:39)
18. High Tide Play Rustic Hinge (4:06)
19. Macedonia (2:28)

- Dennis Taylor / bass
- Drachen Theaker / drums
- George Kahn / saxophone
- Jonah Mitchell / organ

LP/CD Reckless Records CDREC 2 (1988)

THE ARTHUR BROWN BAND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Fire! The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown , 1968

Buy THE ARTHUR BROWN BAND Strangelands Music

More places to buy THE ARTHUR BROWN BAND music online Buy THE ARTHUR BROWN BAND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE ARTHUR BROWN BAND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE ARTHUR BROWN BAND Strangelands ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(23%)

THE ARTHUR BROWN BAND Strangelands reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is supposedly the second album of The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown (recorded in the late 60's or early 70's but not released befotre 88) and I can tell that indeed this album is crazy and even insane. So insane that this comes across as even wilder than anything Kingdom Come had done also.

So insane that even after a three week stint in my deck getting regular rotation , I cannot seem to even grasp the slightest hint of the eventual concept behind this album. It might have come with liner notes , but this is a Voiceprint release , so I suppose this might have been a bit too much to ask of them. This album is obscure , psychic , weird (but this IS Arthur Brown) and voluntary done so , but unfortunately this is impenetrable for me but also to the few buddies of mine that have heard this. The sound quality is apt , but no miracle is to be expected as this was never released at the time. I suppose that some progheads might appreciate this album butit is likely to please more the space rock fans.

I will give this album a third star on the benefit of the doubt and as a mark of respect for Arthur Brown , but also in the hope that I might one day see better what this album is about.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#54084) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 31, 2005

Review by GruvanDahlman
2 stars ...and along came Arthur, one of the most extravagant and brilliant musicians of the day. From the bluesy origins of the british boom he took the bold step into territory rarely tread before him. Mad as a hatter, obviously, but equipped with the most focused of minds, visionary and brave he set forth digging out a piece of the musical world that belonged to him and him alone.

The first album was a sort of compromise between blues and progressive rock which turned out really well. I suppose the album made quite an impact with it's theatrical vocals and scary, to be frank, compositions. Yet I cannot feel that the album was anything but a compromise where Brown constrained himself beyond his strength to make an album that would appeal to parts or any of the audience. Why? Simply because the next album he recorded, yet never saw released back then, was a chaotic piece of musical tapestry far beyond any normal mind. The album was in fact abnormal. The only sane thing about it is it's title, Strangelands, which encapsulates everything the album is. Strange and set in a strange land.

To listen to this album you need to be prepared for something beyond complex. There are no songs or epics in the normal sense. What you get is a bunch of musicians painting a canvas of distorted, twisted and deranged motives, with colours able to scare you. Sort of like a horror movie twisting your brain. You will not find structure. Well, that's not completely true. I will explain.

The Arthur Brown band of 1969 is the equivalent of modern day Mayhem, the norwegian black metal band. The reason for this statement is the immaculate ability to walk the ever so thin line between utter chaos and some sense of structure. Buried between the chaos you do find traces of order, proof of the true visions and musical skill possessed by the band, or both bands in this case. That is the scary part, the slight presence of order in a chaotic setting. Sort of like a workplace for orchs, really. Amidst all that chaos and devestation they do manage to build something that's both functional and impressive, given the circumstances.

With all that said, I must bear witness and let my personal feelings fly high, which, all things concerned is the purpose of reviews, and proclaim that this is not particularily enjoyable. I find it intriguing and interesting but not enjoyable. There are no real paths to follow and no real songs to endear me. The only real reward is after the album is over is the feeling of being impressed by how anyone is able to produce something like this. That is impressive but does not transform the music into anything other than noise, albeit with a sugar coating. (Though the coating must have gone off.)

I recommend you, if you like Arthur Brown, to give it a spin or two since it is a sort of progressional phase. "Galactic zoo dossier" was totally different and "Kingdom Come" (my favorite) is a sort of blend between the latter and "Strangelands". Purely an interesting note in the annals of Brown.

Conclusion: I'll give this album two stars, based only only on the fact that it is an impressive piece of work. That's all.

Send comments to GruvanDahlman (BETA) | Report this review (#1235235) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 05, 2014

4 stars This album is just too crazy. I doubt the musicians were concious when recording this album. Although it lacks any concept, its first three pieces (Country, City and Cosmos) are all products of the same jam session. I'm sure I've never heard Drachen drumming so good and the organist is playing ... (read more)

Report this review (#864768) | Posted by gietek | Thursday, November 22, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE ARTHUR BROWN BAND "Strangelands"