I'M NOT A HERO

Buy METAMORPHOSIS Music
Studio Album, released in 2021

1. Dark World (7:37)
2. I'm Not a Hero (6:15)
3. Little Stars Desintegrate (7:24)
4. When Life Starts Again (3:39)
5. More Is Less (6:42)
6. I Will Leave Tonight (6:43)
7. Leftovers (7:00)
8. So Now What (4:15)
9. So Hard's the Road (6:52)

- Jean-Pierre Schenk / vocals, keyboards
- Olivier Guenat / guitars, bass
- Alain Widmer / drums

Label: Progressive Promotion Records
Format: CD, Digital
July 9, 2021

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

Buy METAMORPHOSIS I'm Not a Hero Music

More places to buy METAMORPHOSIS music online

METAMORPHOSIS I'm Not a Hero ratings distribution

METAMORPHOSIS I'm Not a Hero reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR PSIKE Team & Band Submissions
3 stars Now this is the 6th band album in the meanwhile, delivered by a trio deriving from the French speaking part of Switzerland. The moniker METAMORPHOSIS is standing for a project more or less driven by multi-instrumentalist Jean-Pierre Schenk (keyboards, vocals). On this occasion reduced to a trio, he's supported by Olivier Guenat (guitars, bass) and drummer Alain Widmer again. Former member Gabrielle Mäder still has contributed some lyrics. They are offering fine neo prog styled mid-tempo songs, occasionally arranged with a proper heavy note, also some spacey ingredients and a quite passable singing voice.

The opening dramatic Dark World delivers nice choir arrangements and heavy riffs. 'I've tried my best, I'm not a hero', this probably marks the album's essential statement, presented within the second track, which surely turns out to be an album highlight. So Now What stylistically differs due to it's groove and drive. I'd like to draw some references to the likes of Phi, Clepsydra, Collage, Satellite, Perfect Storm, Eloy, to name a few. Spheric and melancholic keyboard patterns all over, each and every guitar solo is well appointed. Not really spectacular, but still a solid album in any case. 3.5 stars on the PA scale are well deserved.

Review by friso
4 stars Metamorphosis, the neo-prog project of keyboardist/vocalist Jean-Pierre Schenk has released its sixth studio album in 2021. The band has Schenk's emotional voice and dark & melancholy style as its main recognizable traits, but there's always some Floydian ('Division Bell'-era) electric guitar as well. The types of synths and metal guitars are tasteful as ever on this record. The atmospheres remind me a bit of Marillion on the 'Clutching at Straws' album, though Metamorphosis is less sophisticated from a compositional point of view. Usually the songs are made up of a few chord patterns and some lead guitar themes. For me personally, the concept album 'Then All Was Silent' (2005) was the record on which Metamorphosis just clicked with me and it has remained on my playlist ever since. The other albums of the band are usually a bit too much alike, and though 'I'm Not a Hero' isn't going to change that completely, it does sound like the band has progressed over the years. The vocals and lyrics by Schenk are still - and I'm glad for it - filled with a childlike hope for a better world and an senior type of sadness because of it. He fights, he struggles, he looses, he simply doesn't have an answer for it all. He drowns in it, and so does the listener. I think this is why I have always had a soft spot for this Schenker and his sorrowful, bleak type of neo-prog. He kind of makes you feel for him - which in turn is a unique musical experience. This album has a strong run of songs with the slow burner 'Dark World' and the catchy title track and it even has an instrumental track 'When Life Starts Again'. 'More is Less' is another strong song. As with almost any album these days the album could have been more tightly knit together had the two least favorite songs been cut from the record. In the end this is a strong release for Metamorphosis and it should appeal to a lot of neo-prog and crossover prog fans out here. I'll round my rating up to a four star rating, because I don't want Schenker to feel even worse about life. That's just me joking, this album will stay on my playlist just like that other fine record.

4 stars METAMORPHOSIS is the 2001 project by Jean-Pierre Schenk. He released his 6th album on a Floydian sound, Teutonic on the notes of ELOY, RPWL, IQ too. A melancholic, intimate music, with dark and soft climates, nervous and melodic keyboards and a heavy side by the guitar. An album that comes more ... (read more)

Report this review (#2587661) | Posted by alainPP | Friday, August 20, 2021 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of METAMORPHOSIS "I'm Not a Hero"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.