TOUCH

Studio Album, released in 1968

1. We Feel Fine (4:41)
2. Friendly Birds (4:53)
3. Miss Teach (3:29)
4. The Spiritual Death Of Howard Greer (8:52)
5. Down At Circ's Place (4:00)
6. Alesha And Others (3:05)
7. Seventy Five (11:12)

Bonus Tracks CD Reissue::
8. We Finally Met Today (3:43)
9. Alesha And Others [alternative version] (3:17)
10. Blue Feeling (11:46)
11. The Spiritual Death Of Howard Greer [alternative version] (8:07)
12. The Second Coming Of Suzanne (12:17)

Search TOUCH Touch lyrics

Search TOUCH Touch tabs

- John Bordonaro / drums
- Don Gallucci / keyboards
- Bruce Hauser / bass
- Jeff Hawks / vocals
- Joey Newman / guitars

LP Coliseum/London #DS51004 (1968)
LP Deram (D)SML 1033 (1969)
CD Renaissance RCD 1001 (1993)

and to Rivertree for the last updates

TOUCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TOUCH Touch Music

Touch Plus ...Touch Plus ...
Import · Extra tracks
Atlantic
TouchTouch
Remastered · Import
Esoteric 2012
KILLING TOUCH One Of A Kind CD PROMO 2009 Scarlet ?- SC 176-2 US $9.99 Buy It Now 31m 39s
SAMANTHA FOX * 7" VINYL* TOUCH ME (I WANT YOUR BODY) * 1986 * FOXY 1 US $1.60 [0 bids]
37m 51s
TYGERS OF PAN TANG - Don't Touch Me There - Original 1979 UK 3-track 7" single US $20.98 Buy It Now 41m 29s
Ronnie Dyson 1970 Columbia 45rpm Why Can't I Touch You? b/w Girl Don't Come US $6.00 [0 bids]
41m 30s
DONT EVER TOUCH ANYBODY YOU DONT KN BY KILLER BEAZ (CD) US $19.92 Buy It Now 41m 31s
MINT/M- 45~the DOORS~TOUCH ME/WILD CHILD~ELEKTRA~~W/Sleeve~~HEAR US $24.99 Buy It Now 42m 18s
BLOODHOUND GANG - THE BAD TOUCH - VIDEO ENHANCED CD SINGLE - MI US $53.29 Buy It Now 44m 9s
DORSEY BURNETTE - FEMININE TOUCH US $4.99 [0 bids]
47m 21s
Marty Martel Kentucy NM/Touch Me Again NM Country 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 51m 51s
Cd Single with the sleeve 4 tracks MICHAEL BOLTON can i touch you there 6624382 US $4.88 Buy It Now 51m 57s
Michael Bolton TOUCH YOU Very Best Of 36 Song DELUXE New Sealed 2 CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 52m 58s
Captain Sky Don't Touch That Dial 12" Single US $15.34 Buy It Now 53m 46s
Fresh Touch - Fresh Touch (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $18.96 Buy It Now 55m 35s
Boy Friend - Don't Touch My Girl (2ND SINGLE) KOREA CD *SEALED* US $13.35 Buy It Now 55m 57s
ELVIS PRESLEY "A TOUCH OF GOLD" VOL2 ORIGINAL EP RCA RECORDS RCX-1048 7" US $5.98 [3 bids]
58m 25s
Vtg THE DOORS "Touch Me" "Hello I Love You" ELEKTRA Gold Records 45RPM US $19.99 Buy It Now 59m 7s
NEW - Touch by Mann, David US $6.98 Buy It Now 59m 8s
NEW - Touch of Italian by Jon, Carmen US $6.46 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Lee Greenwood - Touch And Go Crazy / Silver Dollar 45 1987 VG / VG+ US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
RODGER WILHOIT-"THE TOUCH OF GOLD / I'VE SPENT MY TIME IN HELL LOVING YOU"-EX US $3.00 [0 bids]
NANCY WILSON - A Touch Of Today ~ VINYL LP STEREO US $18.07 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Grady Martin - A Touch of Country LP DL-74865 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
DIVINYLS I touch Myself ULTRA RARE 1990 USA PROMO Radio DJ CD single PRCD 3666 US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
PHILL NIBLOCK - TOUCH FIVE NEW CD US $25.67 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Eurythmics TOUCH LP RCA AFL1-4958 EX/EX Shrink US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
JEFF & ALETA: The Longer We Stay Together / Love Touch (rare soul vinyl 45) US $75.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Cute Is What We Aim For - The Same Old Blood Rush with a New Touch (CD) US $0.99 [0 bids]
BLACK HEART PROCESSION 2 Touch And Go Insert Three Mile Pilot Album Leaf VG++ US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Isao Suzuki TOUCH Japan LP w/OBI (TBM-57) TBM US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Touch It [5 Track Single #4] [Single] [PA] by Monifah (CD, Jul-1998,... US $3.54 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Mic Murphy : Touch CD (1991) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Lifestyle by Silkworm (CD, Aug-2000, Touch & Go) US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Beethoven - Classical Touch: Famous Symphonies - 3 Classical Music CD's! New! US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
HANK THOMPSON AUTOGRAPH & BAND MEMBERS 1977 THOMSPON TOUCH DOT RECORDS NICE! US $24.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Frederic Chopin - Classical Touch: Nocturnes, Romantic Piano - New 3 CD Set! US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Clear Out Of Touch With Time (CD, 1994, Boston Skyline) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Anne Murray - Keep In Touch Factory Sealed lp ST-11559 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
HK CD x2 Jacky Cheung ??? Touch of Love US $37.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
ZUCCHI, Nicola feat JAY JACOB - Just One Touch - 7 track CD single US $13.63 Buy It Now 1h 39m
TED LEO & THE PHARMACISTS sealed 2LP Living With The Living TOUCH & GO w/ mp3 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Baroque Classics (CD, Philips Touch of Classics) Albinoni, Bach, Vivaldi, Handel US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
QUASI sealed LP When The Going Gets Dark TOUCH & GO 9701 ORIGINAL PRESS US $9.99 [0 bids]
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN sealed LP Human Touch ORIGINAL PRESS columbia 53000 US $20.50 [7 bids]
MAGNETIC TOUCH: High Risk 45 Soul US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
CHARLIE BYRD The Touch of Gold EXC 1966 2-EYE COLUMBIA STEREO LP Charles Calello US $9.60 Buy It Now 1h 53m
GARY WRIGHT Touch And Gone 8-Track Tape US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
BILLY DANIELS Touch Of Your Lips 8-Track Tape US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Glen Adams/Peter Touch "Cat Woman" Reggae 45 Bullet mp3 US $26.45 [10 bids]
Stanley Jordan - Magic Touch Blue Note BT85101 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
DIANA ROSS Touch Me In The Morning LP US press Kory MOTOWN Imagine John Lennon US $1.05 [0 bids]
Mozart - Classical Touch - 3 New CD's! 3 Hours - Symphonies, Operas, Concertos! US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Antonio Vivaldi - Classical Touch: Four Seasons + Many Concertos! - 3 New CD's! US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h
SAMANTHA FOX-TOUCH ME -SPECIAL EDITION! RARE GREEK PRESSING!GATEFOLD! US $7.99 [0 bids]
SAMANTHA FOX-TOUCH ME RARE GREEK PRESSING! US $7.99 [0 bids]
2h
BUDDY LAMP YOU GOT THE LOVING TOUCH /WANNA GO HOME 45 WHEELSVILLE NORTHERN HEAR US $20.00 [0 bids]
2h
SKIN - LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH LIMITED EDITION 12" PICTURE DISC & GIANT POSTER US $8.06 Buy It Now 2h 8m
HARRY NILLSON Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night LP Vinyl Record Album EX+ UK US $4.44 [0 bids]
DJ Tony Touch Wreckin' Shit Hip Hop no. 57 Blaze Mag NY '98 US $7.99 [1 bids]
BODY Touch Me Up vinyl 12 Inch 1990 MCA Records US $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Dan Hill, Sometimes When We Touch/Still Not...45 rpm US $2.49 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Ike and Tina Turner Let Me Touch Your Mind Vinyl Record US $19.95 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Silent Rage - Don't Touch Me There 1989 RCA BMG Records Rare OOP HTF US $48.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
BEAUTIFUL MELODIES WITH A TOUCH OF THE CLASSICS MUSIC CD - USED US $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Vintage CD Michael Crawford A Touch Of Music In The Night US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
HARRY NILSSON A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night And More BONUS TRACKS CD US $11.29 Buy It Now 2h 21m
John Klemmer "Touch" LP, ABC Records AB-922, 1975, VG++ US $1.49 [0 bids]
UN-TOUCHABLE, TUMMY TOUCH COLLECTABLES - DOUBLE LP US $19.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Bama DANCE LP Touch Me When Were Dancing 1979 USA ISSUE US $10.98 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch (1978 LP + Inner. CDS 4012) Mad Hatter Label US $16.13 Buy It Now 2h 31m
THE UNDERTONES *POSITIVE TOUCH*LP ORIGINAL*VINYL NEW WAVE PUNK ALBUM OI RECORDS US $1.60 [0 bids]
BEN SIDRAN: Too Hot to Touch - NM 1988 LP Beautiful Cover too US $6.55 [0 bids]
SEALED 80s SOUL LP - MARY WELLS - 51 WEST 16278 - "EASY TOUCH" US $8.50 Buy It Now 2h 39m
THE WAY I WANT TO TOUCH YOU captain & tennille 45 US $1.99 [0 bids]
Grateful Dead In The Dark 1987 LP Vinyl NM- Arsita AL-8452 Touch Of Grey US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
THE OMEGAS Froze / When You Touch ITALY original 1960 Rockabilly Elvis Presley US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE O'JAYS SO FULL OF LOVE FEVER LET ME TOUCH YOU 2 OOPCD GAMBLE HUFF PHILLY PIR US $23.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
ROSE ROYCE - GOLDEN TOUCH *1980 WHITFIELD 12" classic soul US $1.60 [0 bids]
BILLY MITCHELL: Magic Touch Of LP (WLP, some seam wear, sl cw, rubber promo sta US $60.00 Buy It Now 2h 53m
THE MANTOVANI TOUCH *Mantovani and His Orchestra 33Lp Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
TENDER TOUCH Can I see you tommorrow on PARAMOUNT US $9.67 [0 bids]
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs - CD - 1998 - Touch And Go Records US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Dirty Three - She Has No Strings Apollo - CD -Touch & Go (Label) US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 5m
DANNI LEIGH 29 nights / touch me decca records NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $24.00 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Rock 45 BROOK BENTON With the Touch Of Your Hand on Mercury US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
RONNIE DYSON Why Cant I Touch You 45 Col 4-45110 EX+ (45s-3795) US $6.49 Buy It Now 3h 7m
ROD STEWART Love Touch Legal Eagles Theme 45 W/SLEEVE EX (45s-5641) US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
ROD STEWART 45 28668 LOVE TOUCH VG-EX (45s-5976) US $6.49 Buy It Now 3h 7m
The Garland Touch, Judy Garland US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
WILMA BURGESS 45 Dec 31941 Don't Touch Me Turn Around T NM (45s-367) US $6.49 Buy It Now 3h 11m
THE BLACK KEYS - YOUR TOUCH 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS137 ## US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
CHARLIE RICH "Everytime You Touch Me" 33Lp Vintage Record 1975 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Royce Da 5'9" You Can't Touch me (VG) LP 12" US $6.96 Buy It Now 3h 16m
John Holt "Why Can't I Touch You" Reggae 45 Studio One mp3 US $7.99 [0 bids]
George Shearing Touch of Genius vinyl LP MGM Records EX US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 18m
SAMANTHA FOX TOUCH ME I WANT YOUR BODY 45 W/SLEEVE VG+ (45s-4909) US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 19m
THEE EASY TOUCH THE FLIM FLAM MAN/NO MORE LIVIN' TIME PROMO VG (45 6289) US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
The Three Suns Southern Star, The Touch RCA5874 VG (45-6315) US $6.49 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Stanley Jordan - Magic Touch NM+/NM- LP 1985 BLUE NOTE BT 85101 F NEAR TOP COPY US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Doors Touch Me Wid Child 45 RPM Elektra Record Vinyl Jim Morrison EK45646 US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 21m
SILENT RANGE don't touch me there LP Record 1989 VG US $14.98 Buy It Now 3h 21m

More places to buy TOUCH music online Buy TOUCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TOUCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TOUCH Touch ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(29%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(46%)

TOUCH Touch reviews

Review by soundsweird
4 stars This album is the direct result of what happens when the band members take copious amounts of hallucinogenic drugs. Inspired and pretentious, brilliant and unfocused, pop and progressive, and above all self-indulgent. Imagine a blend of Vanilla Fudge, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and The Nice, but you still won't quite have a handle on it. I can't say I love this album yet (just bought it over the weekend), but I'm really glad I finally got it. It's like a missing link between psychedelic rock and progressive rock, and it's in a class by itself. One moment it's fairly tame 60's rock, the next it's a feedback and effects freakout. Note: the final bonus track, "The Second Coming of Suzanne", is an instrumental recorded several years later, with better sound and lots of mellotron. Even if you don't like the rest of the album, this track is sort of a prog masterpiece that meanders along quietly for a long time, and then turns into a barrage of loud rock and bizarre effects. It makes one wish that the main guy, keyboard player Don Gallucci, had stuck with it (the liner notes indicate that he became a producer). This album is not for purists, though. Most listeners will find something objectionable about each track (the singer's voice, the panning of instruments, the typical guitar work, the overall sense of excess), but the album is still worth having for its uniqueness.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#34491) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Review by Dick Heath
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock Specialist
4 stars I grew up with progressive rock from its earliest days when I worked weekends in a local record shop and had ample opportunity to hear all sorts of music. The seismic change of progressive rock brought a revolution to my popular musicexperience, and came upon the heels of the British variant of the summer of love and then the British blues boom. And then the definition of "progressive rock" was simply music pushing the frontiers of rock into other musical territories, initially hybridised with folk, jazz, classics, blues, Indian music, etc.. The somewhat quirky and novel approach to arrangements made by American groups such as the Electric Prunes (e.g. "Mass" album) and Vanilla Fudge (e.g. "You Keep Me Hanging On", the UK single) would have given some British musicians ideas for change and innovation. Away from the pop charts, rock music progressed beyond the basic tune structure of verse/chorus/verse/chorus etc.. The unison of The Moody Blues with the Decca Records house orchestra, resulted "Days Of Future Past" , long said to be one of the earlier examples of progressive rock - musically something more ground-breakingl than derived, how ever unsatisfactory much of record was to many of us at the time.

However, an American recording slipped in the UK and really got me - it still holds on 37 years later. This was Touch's first and only album. And this was 1969. Friends whocould afford to regularly weekend in the London underground clubs, quickly picked up on Touch, buying the import. These clubs were where Hendrix and many of the rock celebs went after hours, where the DJs had to be on the ball with new music. I willing to gamble that members of Yes, Genesis and many other bands, then still to make the break into the big time, were listening to this stuff and were influenced. Some months after the USA release "Touch" was finally released in the UK by Decca on their Deram speciality label. At the time this release was rumouredto be in exchange for a Pentangle album being released in the USA!! (In passing, the difference between the US and UK releases: both were gatefolded, the US version folding out to a full 18 by 12, while the UK less clever but folding out to 24 by 12 and also included a poster -I still have it).

Touch's record readily meets my criteria for progressive rock: music that progressed rock music to new boundaries - and in 1967 to 68 when this was recorded, there was little risk of overlap with other bands' music. I don't deny that with the sun in west, the wind behind you and on a downhill run, you may hear their garage and psychedelic antecedents but.... But I point you to the ideas expressed in the lyrics on several of their tunes, that predate similar ideas touted better known prog bands, (e.g. the anti-school thing of Waters/Floyd in "The Wall", shown in "Miss Teach"). Compared to many prog recordings of the 70's, instrumentation here may sound primitive but the major developments in musical technology exploited by prog bands, occurred from 1970 onwards. Even so the playing is good, and the arrangement by Gallucci outstanding: it is evident innovative studio techniques were being used to produce new sonic effects. With the particular examples of the two tracks (particular long term favourites, played over and over again) "Alesha & Others" and "75" - particularly when run in sequence for a 13 minute plus prog gem - these have many forms of arrangement heard later in British prog releases, e.g. the rondoing used by Tony Banks.

Shift forward 20 years and the 90's. I couldn't understand why virtually every American acquaintance, who professes a long term love of prog rock, has never heard of Touch - remember I'm a Brit. Surely somebody recalls this classic album across the Atlantic? Edward Macan makes no reference to Touch in his book "Rocking the Classics" - although mention of Touch would throw one of Macan's central theses about the origins of prog, off kilter. Checking US web sites of prog artists you won't found reference to Touch until recently. Jerry Lucky's entry on Touch (Progressive Rock Files) is very brief. In deed a forgotten gem but a record which is seminal in the development of UK and USA progressive rock.

A fuller Touch discography: Touch (Colisseum/London Records,USA LP, 1969)ˇ Touch (Deram DML 1033 [mono] SML1033[stereo] UK LP, 1969) ˇ Touch (Remastered/remixed, inc. outtakes) (Renaissance CD cat no RCD1001, 1992) ˇ Buried Treasures (outtakes plus tracks by Stray Dog and Gracious, Renaissance CD, cat no. RCD 1006, 1992) ˇ Touch (for North American market: remastered/remixed, inc. all outtakes, Wild Places Records CD, 2003 - currentlyavailable directly from the label) Touch (for European market: remastered/remixed, inc. all outtakes on CD issued 2003, Eclectic Records , ECLCD 1005)

Send comments to Dick Heath (BETA) | Report this review (#34493) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 15, 2005

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars This is an extremely overlooked USA progressive rock band! The made their music in the era of Vanilla Fudge, Collosseum, The Nice and The Moody Blues but how many progheads know them? I didn't until I got this promo. Listening to their eponymous album I enjoy the powerful Hammond organ with strong echoes from Tony Kaye when he played in Yes. The compositions contain a lot of variety, along the Hammond organ I'm delighted about the piano play, from sparkling to swinging or jazzy. I notive influences from Yes and Fruup but Touch has a more raw and dated sound, typical progressive rock from the late Sixties. The producers must have had a painstaking job with the mastering but the sound quality remains at the level of an average bootleg, to me this was not a problem. Besides the original 7 songs, this CD contains 5 bonustracks including the unpreviously released single "We finally met today" and the movie soundtrack "The second coming of Suzanne (featuring majestic flute-Mellotron and fine pieces with harpsichord and piano). WITH A RUNNNG TIME OF 80 MINUTES I'M SURE YOU WILL ENJOY MANY PARTS FROM THIS EARLY PROGROCK MUSIC!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#38942) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 09, 2005

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Touch is one of the definitive proto-prog album linking psychadelia with pure prog rock (along with Caravan's debut and Vanilla Fudge's Renaissance album) and was forgotten for many years. I encountered the first CD version in the mid-90's at the library , was sufficiently impressed by it to remember one day to buy it. Thanks to Dick's advice , I now have THE definitive version of this with the excellent bonus tracks.

The original album was impressive enough, especially the 75 track and Spiritual Death developping lenghty athmospheres very reminiscent of Vanilla Fudge's best moments , most notably in the torured Hammond organ sound , heavy drumming and even at times the vocals. The shorter tracks while still reminding you of VF, are more in acid-psych rock one might find on Kaleidoscope (US psych not UK folk group).

As for the bonus tracks , two are oustanding Blue Feeling and We Finally Met Today , both recorded at the time but not included for space reasons. Two other are live studio demos and less interesting , but the last one if not really in scope with the rest of the album is an excellent full-blown prog pieces written for 73 soundtrack (although never released). Eerie and grandiose...... Makes you cry that there was not another bunch of tracks like that one.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#41563) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 04, 2005

Review by Garion81
5 stars Discovering a treasure long buried and finding with delight it was all that the rumors made it to be. That is how I would describe Touch. Over the years we have heard of its legend status only heard by a few of the members of the prog community. It turns out it is a heavy foundation to what prog became in the 70's.

In 1968 a group of musicians from the West Coast of the United States came together to record this shinning example of what we now call symphonic prog rock. Yes, it immersed in the psychedelic sound and yes, has some extremely popish moments but in the end you can't deny that you have heard prog rock. This album is NOT proto-prog it is prog.

The keyboards played by Don Gallucci are certainly on par with what Keith Emerson was doing with the Nice at the same time some great organ sounds and piano. He uses a variety of organs to achieve different moods since that would be his only choice at the time. The arraignments are very symphonic especially when you consider the time.

I contend that when you listen to Friendly Birds you will hear the origins of Yes and Genesis. There are parts of Alisha and Others and Seventy Five where I swear it is Jon Anderson signing. (Part of this is born out in the liner notes where it states members of Yes consider this an early influence). I hear Pink Floyd and Kansas in other parts. (Again Kerry Livgren states Touch and the song seventy five were a major influence on his writing). I can hear where Uriah Heep were influenced in the music.

If anyone out there cares about the origins of this great music we embrace you cannot ignore this CD. Having undergone a re-master process an re-released a in 2003 by UK Eclectic records you now can experience this again. Find it Amazon among other stores.

It has been unburied and the legend of this CD has to come to light. This album was written and recorded in 1968 and released in early 1969 before In the Court of The Crimson King. Unlike Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Freak Out this music is very structured using classical and jazz influences as well as having some of trappings of the psychedelic bands of the time. In other words it sounds more like the music from the period of 1970-5 than the music that became before it. It was also written and recorded in Los Angeles, Ca not England.

The only reason this CD is not well known is because the group refused to tour and it faded quickly after a successful start in 1969 because the record company would no longer support it. It is too bad because there are a couple of live in the studio tracks in the bonus section which showed these fine musicians could have pulled it off on stage. If they had then this album would be the album everyone would point to.

Ignore it at your own peril when speaking of the beginnings of the genre. It is essential to everyone who listens to prog. 5 Stars

Send comments to Garion81 (BETA) | Report this review (#67462) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 30, 2006

3 stars I'm a little surprised at the high ratings for this one although it is one of the early Prog albums as it was released in 1968.The sound quality isn't the best either.TOUCH were an American band led by Don Gallucci a keyboardist who at 15 years of age played with THE KINGSMEN on their 1963 hit "Louie, Louie". Unfortunately he couldn't tour with the band because of his age and had to stay at home and go to school. By 1966 he had formed a band called DON AND THE GOODTIMES and scored a top 20 hit with that band. It was while recording a followup to their hit that Don decided to do something completely different. He states "The TOUCH album was first and foremost a spiritual quest put to music; a search for the holy grail of it's generation by way of sound. It was designed to go where no one had musically gone before in order to break down barriers and walls in the mind; to cause the listener to achieve an altered state of consciousness, not through meditation or drugs, but through music".These guys were smart because after they got a manager they held rehearsals in a Moorish castle in Hollywood Hills and invited record company executives to listen to their music.They would get them stoned and place them in the best spots to experience their unique sonic assault.The result was being signed for a then record breaking 25,000 dollar advance after much competitive bidding from labels.This allowed them to make the record they wanted to at Sunset Sound. Word got out and there certainly was buzz about this band and their unique sound. People started showing up to the studio, lots of people. Mick Jagger dropped by and spent a lot of time with them during these sessions, as did Grace Slick. Jimi Hendrix bought extra studio time just so he could listen to playbacks of everything the band had recorded. When the album was released it sold very well but it soon tailed off and when the record label suggested they needed to tour the band said no saying the studio album couldn't be duplicated live.

Kerry Livegren from KANSAS had this to say about TOUCH. "I first heard their music while driving back from a gig in western Kansas sometime in 1969 or 70. It was about 2am and I was listening to a powerful AM station out of Arkansas. I got about halfway through the song "Seventy Five" before I had to pull off the road and listen (it's been a long time since i've done that).The next day I bought two copies of their album, one to absorb and one for posterity.Their song writing, musicianship and arrangements were quite an inspriration to me.They were way ahead of their time, and one of the best American progressive bands". The music is good but I wouldn't consider this a 4 stars album by any means.

"The Spiritual Death Of Howard Greer" is my favourite although there is a poppy section around 5 minutes."Seventy Five" ends in an experimental manner which would have been unique for that time i'm sure. A good album that deserves to be heard just because of it's status as one of the first Prog albums.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#368086) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review by stefro
2 stars Touch formed sometime during the mid-sixties and, despite rubbing shoulders with some pretty big fish during their brief tenure as an up-and-coming band(Jimi Hendrix was said to be a fan) fate, fortune and luck seems to have been very much against them. An American outfit featuring former Kingsmen alumnus Don Galluci, Touch would issue just one fairly unsuccessful album, a self-titled affair, eventually disbanding before the 1960s were out. It's an album that has certainly grown in stature over the intervening decades since it's release in 1968, and it's fair to say that 'Touch' is one of the earliest examples of progressive rock to appear on either side of the Atlantic, coming across very much like a kind of Yankee version of Procol Harum and featuring a sound part influenced by the then burgeoning psychedelic scene, though much of the music is of a rather complex and curious nature that pre-figures the likes of Genesis, Yes and King Crimson. Very much a stand- alone release style-wise - this is nothing like the progressive rock produced by such leading American acts as Kansas, Styx and Journey - 'Touch' is genuine oddity that takes several listens to truly grasp. It's also an album that hasn't dated especially well, with a sound based around eccentric vocal harmonies and busy keyboards, strange lyrics and jerky rhythms. The album's real downfall, however, lies in a maddening lack of melodic invention, making this another entry into the 'interesting-yet-flawed' category of supposedly 'lost classics', albums that became obscure for a very good reason. Released on CD for the first time via Mark Powell's usually terrific reissue label Esoteric Recordings, 'Touch' is a frustratingly overwrought mixture of early prog meanderings, theatrical pop, and colourful, Brit-style psychedelia featuring perhaps too many ideas for it's own good. To put it simply: there is a genuine lack of memorable tunes. Only on the album's twelve-minute closer 'Seventy Five' does the group manage to work up a proper head of steam, yet even this is a composition flooded with overwrought instrumental passages, crudely stitched together to create an unconvincing whole. Those with a sincere interest in progressive rock's early days may find Touch's style more to their tastes, especially those who dig the likes of Procol Harum, Spring or The Byrds, though this is certainly no classic. Initially intriguing, and not completely without merit, yet ultimately 'Touch' is both frustrating and consistently unexceptional.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#661615) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 16, 2012

5 stars I was in my first year at university when we spotted the unusual cover which the Touch album had at the time. Once hearing it for the first time, it immediately became one of our unique pieces of music that we shared many hours turning new listeners on to it. I would love to buy a new C.D. re ... (read more)

Report this review (#455805) | Posted by groucho | Wednesday, June 01, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars this is one of the greatest albums of all time... SO perfect. When I first heard it I didn't see what was so special about it but when I listened to it more something snapped and I was blown away, SO good. I highly recommend getting this album for all fans of any old school progressive rock or ... (read more)

Report this review (#101616) | Posted by | Monday, December 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Great album. I saw the group Touch in 1968 at a nightclub in Hollywood, Ca. I was impressed by their performance. I bought the album when it came out. I still have it. I enjoy all the songs. "We Feel Fine" reminds us of when everyone thought L.A. was going to slide into the ocean. "Miss Teach" ... (read more)

Report this review (#84104) | Posted by RikyLopez | Tuesday, July 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Oh how in love I was with this album from the late 60s! I was somewhere around 13 or 14 and listened to this, Zappa's "We're Only In It For The Money" & "Lumpy Gravy" and whatever Beatles album was out at the time. I was seriously smitten. Touch is the story of a record label saying, "You won't ... (read more)

Report this review (#79991) | Posted by x_bruce | Thursday, June 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This record is not perfect, but close enough. Released a full year before King Cimson's 1st,this seems to be the original blueprint for many symphonic prog records to come. This must have sounded striking in 1968 . Sure, there were the Mothers, Velvets, Pink Floyd and other amazing bands precedin ... (read more)

Report this review (#71593) | Posted by | Friday, March 10, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars There is a great recent cd reissue of this album readily available so there is no excuse for not owning it and yet only a handfull of people can be bothered to check it out. This is a real shame because this album blows away much of the best output of the major bands and let's not forget the h ... (read more)

Report this review (#62298) | Posted by | Friday, December 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars To call this album anything less than a masterpiece would be a sin to prog rock. I first heard this record in (1969) and I have been hooked ever since. I have my original copy of their album and an 8 track I found in a bargen bin in Ohio in (1970). As a touring musicain I've never met anyone who ... (read more)

Report this review (#34494) | Posted by | Tuesday, May 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A wonderfull, lost album that has just been released on CD with bonus tracks. We feel fine the opener is a powerful opener which rocks hard with some great guitar. The best track is "Down at Circe's Place" which sounds like nothing else on earth. Production is stunning for the time (1969). Thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#34490) | Posted by Steve Boyce | Tuesday, March 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TOUCH "Touch"