FANTASTIC FREAK SHOW CARNIVAL

Psychedelic/Space Rock

KingBathmat Fantastic Freak Show Carnival album cover

Buy KINGBATHMAT Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

1. Ghost in the Fire (4:31)
2. Fantastic Freak Show Carnival (3:58)
3. Rejected (3:04)
4. Kings Ransom (3:17)
5. Hornets Nest (1:24)
6. Sweet Iris (4:55)
7. Simpleton Know It All (3:18)
8. Illuminous Pups (3:26)
9. Wonderful Life (4:57)
10. Interval (1:36)
11. Soul Searching Song (11:27)

Search KINGBATHMAT Fantastic Freak Show Carnival lyrics

Search KINGBATHMAT Fantastic Freak Show Carnival tabs

- John Bassett / guitar, bass, vocals, drums, keyboards

CD StereoHead Records KINGBCD03 (2005 UK)

and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

KINGBATHMAT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KINGBATHMAT Fantastic Freak Show Carnival Music

Overcoming the MonsterOvercoming the Monster
Ais 2013
Truth ButtonTruth Button
Ais 2013
Fantastic Freak Show CarnivalFantastic Freak Show Carnival
2005
Audio CD$224.99 (used)

More places to buy KINGBATHMAT music online Buy KINGBATHMAT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KINGBATHMAT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KINGBATHMAT Fantastic Freak Show Carnival ratings distribution

KINGBATHMAT Fantastic Freak Show Carnival reviews

Review by Muzikman
5 stars Who is KINGBATHMAT? What kind of name is that for a band any way? Well, it is different, unique and original. Ok we are already a step ahead of most acts. You have a name that you cannot forget, now who is the man behind the music? His name is John Bassett and he is from the UK. The CD cover is just as colorful as the name-weird and bizarre or any other vernacular that fits out the ordinary. The title of the album is "Fantastic Freak Show Carnival", are you starting to catch on now?

Now to the music.it is nothing short of fantastic, easily one of the best rock albums I have heard this year, and believe me I hear a lot. To explain what this music sounds like could be a challenge, I heard so much in every song. Its all good, I absolutely loved every track. I would have to say PINK FLOYD is definitely an influence and certainly "Sgt. Pepper" era BEATLES, after that I am sure whomever hears this CD will say something different, and that is a tribute to the across the board appeal this CD will enjoy. For a rock album that is a monumental achievement as the genre can most certainly lend itself to a generic sound. This album is far from that. Bassett handles the entire gamut of musical instruments-guitar, bass, vocals, drums, keyboards, and the artwork for the project. He is a literal one-man band.

This is unequivocally progressive rock mixed with psychedelic and flat out rock jamming. The guitar playing is exceptional throughout this recording with a special note to the closer "Soul Searching Song" which runs over 11 minutes. The tour de force takes the entire album, ties it all together conceptually and musically, and then closes the curtain on one dynamite album that is hard to forget. . Where has this guy been all of these years anyway? Where have you been hiding him England?

Keith "MuzikMan" Hannaleck-http://www.muzikreviews.com

May 2, 2005

Rating - 9.5/10

Send comments to Muzikman (BETA) | Report this review (#35005) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Review by Finnforest
4 stars If Radiohead were fun

I have a confession to make that will lower my credentials even more than they already are. I really don't like Radiohead very much post-Bends. Are they good, sure, are they important, fine. But I'll do almost anything to keep from playing their discs. Need your lawn mowed? I'm there. Anyway, when I'm looking for a great indie alternative rock band in the Radiohead/crossover realm, but actually want to have some fun at the same time with musicians who don't come off as self-important, I can reach for Kingbathmat's "Fantastic Freak Show Carnival." Released in 2005 the album sports an alternative rock/melodic pop backbone with hints of psychedelia, experimentation, and imagination. Think of a cross between "The Who Sells Out" and a John Frusciante album and you might have an idea what the Freak Show feels like.

Given that this is a one-man album it is very impressive how Bassett manages such a full and rich sound, sounding more like a full band with dual guitars. Punchy melodic pop and harder rock numbers occasionally escalate into longer jams, but for the most part the songwriting is succinct with great instincts. The secret weapon is Bassett's amazing self-harmonizing on his vocals...he has a voice very much like Frusciante but is capable of doubling over himself to create lush and lovely vocal presentations. "Sweet Iris" was my favorite for this reason, just glorious hazy psych-pop, mostly vocal, with light guitar for color. Mixed with his whimsical and perhaps slightly Syd Barrett nods, along with superb and tasteful guitar leads, the result is a very satisfying modern rock album. The final track finds him stretching out to 12 minutes and getting wilder, almost Kingston Wall territory. This excellent under-the-radar release eluded me for too long. Check it out, along with his new album "Truth Button."

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#897724) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013

3 stars Kingbathmat is a surprise.. sometimes I like it, sometimes I hate it... Why? Simply, the album does not fit any known category at all. The progressive moments are really different, sometimes strange, magic, but then we have some annoying 'Neo Pop Rock' like passages mixed with some good ones. I h ... (read more)

Report this review (#161835) | Posted by Grobsch | Friday, February 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars An excellent album that grows and develops with every listen, "Fantastic Freak Show Carnival" is a remarkably diverse affair. The record plays like a rock opera and joyously combines War of the Worlds-era Jeff Lynne with The Who, circa Tommy. The title track begins to contort towards a more Sa ... (read more)

Report this review (#49547) | Posted by | Friday, September 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "Roll up and join the queue / To the Fantastic Freak Show Carnival," beckons John Bassett on the title track to his latest release as KingBathmat. Perhaps Bassett wishes his summons could be an invitation to escapism like the Beatles song to which it alludes, but the claustrophobic, deteriorat ... (read more)

Report this review (#46056) | Posted by | Friday, September 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Roll up and join the queue / To the Fantastic Freak Show Carnival," beckons John Bassett on the title track to his latest release as KingBathmat. Perhaps Bassett wishes his summons could be an invitation to escapism like the Beatles song to which it alludes, but the claustrophobic, deteriorati ... (read more)

Report this review (#45382) | Posted by | Saturday, September 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars To think that this album represents the work of just one man, is something of a mindblower. Ranging from lush orchestral pop to free roaming prog excess, Fantastic Freak Show Carnival sounds at times like an insane mash up between the Electric Light Orchestra, Led Zeppelin and The Verve while ... (read more)

Report this review (#38820) | Posted by | Friday, July 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars King Bathmat, whose ultra-cool, eclectic sophmore "Crowning Glory" caught my attention a year ago has now, in June 2005 released his third album "Fantastic Freak Show Carnival". King Bathmat are a most interesting pastiche of many diverse influences in styles, a more psych driven Sondre Lerche ... (read more)

Report this review (#37121) | Posted by | Tuesday, June 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The musical progress that British singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist John Bassett - AKA KingBathmat - has made in three albums boggles the mind. His 2003 debut, Son of a Nun, blended psychedelic pop, rock and folk into a captivating amalgam of eclectic sounds, and the following year' ... (read more)

Report this review (#35006) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KINGBATHMAT "Fantastic Freak Show Carnival"