CLOSER THAN SKIN

David Cross Closer Than Skin album cover

Buy DAVID CROSS Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

1. Are We One? (5:47)
2. States of Deception (5:40)
3. Over Your Shoulder (6:44)
4. Only Fooling (8:19)
5. Awful Love (4:43)
6. Counting (5:23)
7. I Buy Silence (5:51)
8. Valley of the Kings (6:04)
9. Tell Me Your Name (4:43)
10. Anybody (6:19)

- Lloyd / drums
- Mick Paul / bass
- Paul Clark / guitar

CD Noisy records (2005)

and to marty mcfly for the last updates

DAVID CROSS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID CROSS Closer Than Skin Music

It's Not FunnyIt's Not Funny
Sub Pop 2004
Shut Up, You Fucking Baby!Shut Up, You Fucking Baby!
Explicit Lyrics
Sub Pop 2002
Bigger and BlackererBigger and Blackerer
Sub Pop 2010
Closer Than SkinCloser Than Skin
Imports 2005
Testing To DestructionTesting To Destruction
David Cross - It's Not Funny - 4 Track CD (B30) US $6.76 Buy It Now 10h 10m
David Cross Shut Up You F'ing Baby PROMO Sub Pop 2x CD mr. show adult Swim US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 5m
Deltron 3030 Event II Vinyl LP Record Lonely Island David Cross Mike Patton NEW! US $29.99 Buy It Now 17h 56m
DAVID CROSS Shut Up You Fucking Baby 3xLP Stand Up Red White Blue Limited to 500 US $39.99 [1 bids]
DAVID CROSS - EXILES NEW CD US $20.14 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID CROSS - BIGGER & BLACKERER NEW DVD US $19.01 Buy It Now 3 days
David Cross - Shut Up You Fucking Baby! & It's Not Funny on CD (3 Discs) Comedy US $13.19 [0 bids]
DAVID CROSS - Shut Up, You Fucking Baby! (CD, Nov-2002, 2 Disc) F****** Comedy ! US $5.99 [0 bids]
DAVID CROSS - BIGGER & BLACKERER (+DVD) (LTD) NEW VINYL US $38.18 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID CROSS IT'S NOT FUNNY COMEDY CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
David Cross Shut Up You Fucking Baby (red, white, blue vinyl) LP tobias arrested US $70.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Radius With David Cross - There Is No Place / Japan CD OBI MSIF-3328 [Sealed] US $38.99 [0 bids]
LES SAVY FAV obsessed with the excess 7" DAVID CROSS pavement sebadoh polvo karp US $8.99 [0 bids]
DAVID CROSS : ITS NOT FUNNY CD (2009) US $3.70 Buy It Now 6 days
ORGAN 38 various 7" 4 track freebie featuring david cross,rosa mota out of my ha US $8.46 Buy It Now 7 days
Shut Up, You F****** Baby! [PA] by David Cross (Comedy) (CD, Nov-2002, 2 Discs, US $2.00 Buy It Now 7 days
2 CD SET DAVID CROSS SHUT UP YOU FUCKING BABY! MINT/RARE DIGIPAK PROMO! US $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID CROSS Censored For Radio Airplay PROMO CD [5 TRACKS] 2002 US $2.99 Buy It Now 7 days
David Cross, It's Not Funny Audio CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 7 days
David Cross - Exiles CD US $16.90 Buy It Now 8 days
David Cross cd Shut Up ***** Baby 2 discs US $8.00 Buy It Now 9 days
DAVID CROSS Bigger Blackerer CD arrested Development 2010 Great Comedy BOSTON US $7.99 Buy It Now 9 days
David Cross - Exiles CD US $15.01 Buy It Now 9 days
Exiles - David Cross New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.79 Buy It Now 10 days
GERMANY import RADIUS Arc Measuring CD KING CRIMSON Red DAVID CROSS 1988 OOP US $99.98 Buy It Now 11 days
David Cross - Throbblehead Figure Limited numbered US $19.75 Buy It Now 11 days
David Cross - Exiles (EX SHOP CD) US $15.23 Buy It Now 11 days
DAVID CROSS Shut Up, You F****** Baby! [PA] (Comedy) (CD, Nov-2002, 2... US $19.89 Buy It Now 11 days
David Cross Testing To Destruction CD NEW UK 94 King Crimson Low Flying Aircraft US $34.95 Buy It Now 12 days
DAVID CROSS - SHUT UP YOU FUCKING BABY NEW CD US $22.85 Buy It Now 14 days
David Cross - Its Not Funny (R) (2004) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 14 days
David Cross ORIGINAL publicity PROMO photo press slide plate negative #361 US $8.47 Buy It Now 14 days
DAVID CROSS - Bigger And Blacker - RARE PROMO CD 2010 US $6.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Bigger And Blackerer - David Cross New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $17.62 Buy It Now 14 days
David Cross - Shut Up You Fucking Baby! CD US $18.39 Buy It Now 15 days
JAPAN import DAVID CROSS Memos From Purgatory CD KING CRIMSON Red 1991 Rare OOP US $99.88 Buy It Now 15 days
It's Not Funny [PA] [Digipak] by David Cross (Comedy) (CD, May-2004, Sub Pop ... US $6.89 Buy It Now 15 days
Shut Up, You F****** Baby! [PA] by David Cross (Comedy) (CD, Nov-2002, 2... US $14.03 Buy It Now 15 days
DAVID CROSS - IT'S NOT FUNNY NEW CD US $17.47 Buy It Now 15 days
David Cross, It's Not Funny Audio CD US $6.23 Buy It Now 16 days
DAVID CROSS (COMEDY) - IT'S NOT FUNNY [PA] [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $8.61 Buy It Now 16 days
It's Not Funny - David Cross New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $18.27 Buy It Now 17 days
Vice Vol 11 Num 4 THE STREETS DAVID CROSS UNCUT SWITCH BLADE PROMO US $2.99 Buy It Now 17 days
RARE PROMO David Cross CD Censored For Radio Airplay MR. SHOW comedy Shut Up You US $8.00 Buy It Now 18 days
David Cross - Its Not Funny CD US $14.86 Buy It Now 18 days
David Cross - Bigger and Blackever - PROMO POSTER US $8.46 Buy It Now 18 days
DAVID CROSS - ITS IT'S NOT FUNNY CD ALBUM US $14.07 Buy It Now 19 days
DAVID CROSS (COMEDY) - BIGGER AND BLACKERER [PA] [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $10.13 Buy It Now 19 days
It's Not Funny [PA] [Digipak] by David Cross (Comedy) (CD, May-2004, Sub Pop... US $3.99 Buy It Now 20 days
David Cross - Shut Up You Fucking Baby (R) (2002) - Used - Compact Disc US $2.97 Buy It Now 20 days
Angel Cage, David Cross, Out Of My Hair, Rosa Mota EP US $5.99 Buy It Now 21 days
DANIELLE DAX,blast the human flower/KARL BLAKE/Lemon Kittens/DAVID CROSS/Tape US $5.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Exiles David Cross CD Brand new US $11.63 Buy It Now 24 days
DAVID CROSS Exiles RARE KING CRIMSON SOLO CD JOHN WETTON PETER HAMILL US $5.99 Buy It Now 24 days
2 Comedy CDs - David Cross "It's Not Funny" & Tom Mabe "Revenge Telemarketers" US $4.99 Buy It Now 24 days
David Cross Shut Up You Fucking Baby Audio CD US $7.29 Buy It Now 25 days
DAVID CROSS (ROCK) - EXILES [DAVID CROSS (ROCK)] [5018584017524] - NEW CD US $11.66 Buy It Now 25 days
Clearlight ?Forever Blowing Bubbles Japan CD David Cross (King Crimson) US $29.99 Buy It Now 26 days
DAVID CROSS &NAOMI MAKI UNBOUNDED JAPAN CD King Crimson US $12.99 Buy It Now 26 days
DAVID CROSS**BIGGER & BLACKERER(LTD ED)**VINYL+DVD US $24.77 Buy It Now 26 days
DAVID CROSS - BIGGER & BLACKERER (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $20.14 Buy It Now 27 days
David Cross - Bigger & Blackerer CD US $16.63 Buy It Now 27 days
DAVID CROSS - EXILES - CDR109 US $15.42 Buy It Now 27 days
DAVID CROSS - IT'S NOT FUNNY *PA* (CD 2004) US $5.99 Buy It Now 27 days
DAVID CROSS - CENSORED FOR RADIO AIRPLAY 2002 SUB-POP rare collectible promo US $3.80 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy DAVID CROSS music online Buy DAVID CROSS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID CROSS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID CROSS Closer Than Skin ratings distribution

DAVID CROSS Closer Than Skin reviews

Review by Dick Heath
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock Specialist
4 stars

I have to confirm Krimson biographer, Sid Smith's comments in the 'Closer Than Skin's' press release, that this is probably the best album released by a former member of the 'Larks Tongue In Aspic' perod of King Crimson. However, in no way does 'Closer Than Skin' dwell in the '72 to '74 period of Krimson, in fact it is album of modern rock and prog rock, the best I've heard for severla years - and in passing don't take the fusion tag that Progarchives use for Cross's music too seriously.

This record takes references from a much broad range than simply the Krimson of 30 years ago, indeed a lot of the new, and melds them into tunes which sound very 21st Century and better still: exciting. The KC references provide that contact to 72-74 , with the enimatic lyrics by Richard Palmer James, or one very brief but pungent instrumental sample about 3 and half minutes into Awful Love (track 5), here you'll find a classic Fripp guitar riff (from 'Lark's Tongues' itself), employed to provide both a dramtic break and a counter-rhythm to the middle eastern feel in the song. At the end of listening to 'Closer Than Skin', I left with the thrill that I'm hearing a modern album loosely in the style of the mid 70's King Crimson but significantly affected by 30 years of experience and change in David Cross, tempered by the young musicians who has around him.

The band David Cross has gathered is very good. Mick Paul with an excellent no thrills electric bass, Paul Clark on rock guitar (who Cross told me is always being pushed into new territories slightly beyond the fringes of rock and excelling in them - and he is into Dream Theater), Arch Stauton (who has a warm mellow voice - there are moments when he reminds me of the vocals on the High Tide album - and again Cross has let on that Stauton was auditioned singing the song heard on track 6), and Lloyd with some great drums.

And compared with two other David Cross albums in my collection (i.e. 'Exiles', 'Testing To Destruction'), this is a far more satisfactory and consistently good album. A must for Krimson fans. As I'm reluctant to commit to 5 stars at this early stage in the album life - e.g. will it survive time and me! I have no hesitation for going for Progarchives' 4 stars.

Send comments to Dick Heath (BETA) | Report this review (#36775) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 17, 2005

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Nice cover, innovative (I have to say). This is review on (let's call it) request, or at least suggestion. I have this album for some time, so I'm able to write this. But I wasn't about to do it anytime soon. Nevermind, let's begin with reviewing.

This is music that is not jazz at all, I never heard any his previous album (except his work with Crimson guys of course), so I can't compare. But one thing I know for sure, this album can be enjoyed by many. Yes, this is not one of these "only-for-elite", or these where you have to "suffer thirteen repeated listens to begin enjoying it", nope. This is good album that has a lot to offer and is offering it straight from first listen. Are We One, just slight hint, reminds me deserts, Arabian songs. Second one, States of Deception brings on little bit of promised jazz in "intro", but then it's more like something that's not so easy to describe. Because of violin, it makes everything brand new and original. One have to wonder how it's possible (it's just violin, isn't it ?), but hell, here we are and it sounds good (note that I'm not stick with second song anymore, more like talking about this album in general).

4(+), there are of course disadvantages. Guitar solos are here, yeah. But riffs sounds pretty much the same and it beats it a little bit. It's pleasant to listen (dark music a little bit, not so optimistic though except Awful Love of course), it satisfies you, but this is not so big fault that would prevent me from giving masterpiece rating. There are others of course, but in overall, it's very good album. And yes, this interesting violin can sounds disharmonic at times (mostly in climax parts).Of course, it's dominated by violin and as violin experimentation album it's masterpiece, but other instruments here sounds like just accompanying their leader, string instrument. Which is great though. So let's take this as it is and overlook this.

And I wondered why everyone so far gave 4 stars. But anyway, I'll do the same, because this feeling of repeated background is somehow fault for close listening (thorough, thinking about music you're listening, evaluating, you know).

So to answer the unspoken question, "What's closer than skin ?" It's music of course, so penetrating that it can get under your skin. Both in good and bad way of this word. In case of this album, we're talking about very good way. Almost masterpiece.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#251185) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 17, 2009

4 stars A very impressive album. Krimson refernces and indeed influences abound, but that's no bad thing. Interestingly, the album evokes a cross between the pummelling power of Starless/Red period Crimson with the more 'arty' compostions of the Belew-period line-up...and a fascinating mix it is! Great ... (read more)

Report this review (#159007) | Posted by barp | Saturday, January 19, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Excellent alnum. After having read very comprehensive review of it by Dick Heath, I cannot do much else but to agree with almost everything he is saying, except one small thing - I do not think this is the best work of David Cross. IMO "Exiles" and "Testing to destruction" are slightly better, ... (read more)

Report this review (#39665) | Posted by eugene | Sunday, July 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID CROSS "Closer Than Skin"