AN EVENING OF YES MUSIC PLUS (DVD)

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

Additional musicians:
- Jeff Berlin / bass
- Julian Colbeck / keyboards
- Milton McDonald/ guitar

VHS Griffin Music GVAB-108 (1994)

Thanks to Guillermo for the addition
and to SouthSideoftheSky for the last updates

ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE An Evening Of Yes Music Plus (DVD) Music

0 result found for "ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results

More places to buy ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE music online Buy ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE An Evening Of Yes Music Plus (DVD) ratings distribution

ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE An Evening Of Yes Music Plus (DVD) reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
2 stars Once I bought this as a CD/Video set, after a few sessions I decided to sell it! I was very disappointed about the atmosphere, the lacklustre performance, so clinical, to me it seemed that the musicians on stage only had earning money in their minds. About the level of playing I won't complain but this super line-up should have offered more than just doing their job. Rick Wakeman said about the later AWBH project "Union" that it should have been named "Onion" because it made him cry! Well, this AWBH CD/Video set made me cry, I prefer 'post-"Yessongs"-Rick Wakeman' on "Keys to ascension", a bit underrated DVD in my opinion.

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars In The Big Dream, on my small screen

Thank you Voiceprint for finally re-releasing this fantastic live film on DVD. The live CD album of this show has long been a favourite of mine and here I have the complete show in both audio and video. For those of you who don't know, Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe it is the band that really deserved to be called Yes in the 80's, much more so than the line-up that owned the rights to that name during that time.

Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson had left Yes after the Tormato album in 1978 while Steve Howe stayed for another album before he left too. Chris Squire and drummer Alan White then brought Trevor Rabin into the band as well as original Yes member Tony Kaye (who played keyboards in the band before Rick Wakeman). Soon after, Jon Anderson re-joined and now they were three original members of Yes. However, the album that resulted did not sound like the classic Yes albums! It wasn't very progressive and rather commercial music aimed at radio play (which they did get with Owner Of Lonely Heart - the worst song ever to bear the Yes name).

Around the same time as this questionable version of Yes did another album called Big Generator, another band started working on a new album. This band involved original Yes-men Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson and Bill Bruford. They were not allowed to use the name 'Yes' so they called themselves 'Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe' instead. In my opinion, this band was the real Yes of the 80's in everything but name. They released a very good self-titled album in 1987 that sounded much more like Yes than Yes at the time. Then they toured and performed songs from this new album together with many classic Yes songs. During this tour this concert film was shot.

On this DVD we can see four of the very best musicians of all time, playing an amazing set list full of some of their very best songs ever! The show starts out good with Jon Anderson alone on stage singing a medley of three songs from different eras of Yes and from then on it just keeps getting better and better and better. First, with Steve Howe's great acoustic solo performance and then with Rick Wakeman's amazing solo spot which features the most amazing keyboard playing on earth! The next track Long Distance Runaround contains a powerful and diverse Bill Bruford drum solo (with snippets of Heart Of The Sunrise).

Other great tracks classic tracks are Close To The Edge, And You And I, Heart Of The Sunrise (now in full), Roundabout, Starship Trooper and I've Seen All Good People. Plus several tracks from the then new Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe album, here all sounding livelier than the studio versions.

The sound and picture quality is sadly not perfect though, and there are a few moments of sound problems. Still, this is essential for Yes fans and very good for all others!

My version is a limited edition double DVD set that comes in a digipack. It contains a bonus feature on the second disc called In The Big Dream which consists of three music videos from the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe album, plus some studio footage of the band while they were recording the album and some short interviews with Jon. I am a very happy owner of this treasure!!

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This concert video was recorded in 9-September-1989 at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, California. This concert was also released in audio in the CD format first in 1993 in Europe (without "Ive Seen All Good `People", "The Meeting", and "Starship Trooper") and later in 1994 in the U.S. (still without "Ive Seen All Good `People" and "The Meeting", but with "Starship Trooper" as a bonus track).

Bassist Jeff Berlin replaced Tony Levin (who became sick with hepatitis) for the last seven dates of the first leg of their tour in 1989 in North America. He had to learn all the songs in a very few days and with a very few rehearsals with the band, and he appears in this video doing a very good job. He did not play the stick bass like Levin but he made sound his bass guitar like a stick bass in some songs thanks to the use of some pedal sound effects.

The video starts with Jon Anderson walking to the stage from the back of the seats of the Amphitheatre, shaking hands with some members of the audience and walking to the stage and singing at the same time for his solo medley (accompanied from the stage by Milton McDonald on acoustic guitar and Julian Colbeck on keyboards). It was unusual to start a concert in this way with three solo sections by Anderson, Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman, respectively. Maybe it was not a very good idea, in my opinion (it`s a bit boring for my taste), but they did it anyway. Anderson`s solo medley consisted of "Time and a Word", "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and "Teakbois". This medley sounds good, and after this, Steve Howe appears on stage to play two solo acoustic guitar pieces, "Clap" and "Mood for a Day", with an unidentified instrumental piece between both. After this, Rick Wakeman appears on stage to play a solo keyboards medley of "Gone but Not Forgotten", "Madrigal", "Catherine Parr" and "Merlin the Magician". A very good solo section by Wakeman, it is my favourite from all the solo medleys played by ABWH. Very well played.

After this, all the other musicians appear on stage to play "Long Distance Runaround", followed by a good drums solo played by Bill Bruford. This is followed by "Birthright", which has Howe playing acoustic and electric guitars and a mandolin, Bruford playing very good drums and percussion, Wakeman playing a very good keyboards solo, and Anderson playing a bit of percussion instruments. The next song is "And You and I", played very well, and I consider this version as the best live version that I have listened to from this song. The next song, "Ive Seen All Good `People", is also played very well, and it also has an extended final section on which McDonald, Colbeck, Howe and Wakeman share solos. "Close to the Edge" is also very well played. "Themes" has Wakeman playing good solos too, and "Brother of Mine" is one of my favourite songs from the ABWH studio album, played with a lot of energy with good solos by Howe and Wakeman. For "The Meeting" only Anderson, Wakeman and Colbeck appear on stage, with Wakeman playing the piano and Colbeck the backing keyboards. "Heart of the Sunrise" is well played too, but in this song the electronic drums don`t sound very well for my taste in some parts. "Order of the Universe" is very well played, and it is mostly a rock song with some influences from the 80s Rock Pop music. "Roundabout" is very well played, very similar to the studio version. The concert is finished with a good version of "Starship Trooper", which also has an additional keyboards introduction and also a keyboards section before "Wurm" on which Anderson sings a bit from "Nous Sommes Du Soleil " (from "Ritual") and also gives final thanks to the audience. The final part of "Wurm" has good solos by Wakeman and Howe.

Bruford used mainly an electronic drum kit with also an acoustic snare drum, metal cymbals, two gongs, and a triangle. I am not a fan of the electronic drum kit, but the songs from the ABWH required a lot of changes in the sounds of the drum pads. I thought that Bruford programmed some parts, but no. It seems that he played everything live. Used in this way, the electronic drums sounded very well and offered more choices to Bruford to play interesting percussion sounds in this drum kit.

Anderson sang very well, and like the other members of the band he looks like he was enjoying playing the concert.

Wakeman used eight keyboards which also had a lot of pedals. The new technologies from the eighties really helped him to sound better. He used some Korg, Ensoniq and Roland keyboards, and it also was on stage an old analog Mini- Moog synthesiser which I never saw him play in this concert.

Howe also used a lot of electric and acoustic guitars (Fenders, Gibsons, and maybe others), a pedal steel guitar, plus a mandolin and a vachalia.

The backing vocals were sung by Howe, McDonald and Colbeck. I don`t know if Berlin sang backing vocals too. Of all the members of the band he is the only one from which there are fewer close-ups and he remains "in the dark" for most of the time. It seems that he was playing a five string bass guitar, but I am not really sure about this. He really did a very good job replacing Tony Levin at a very short notice.

Colbeck and McDonald played and sang very well, and gave some freedom to Wakeman and Howe to play in a more relaxed way, particularly in the songs from the ABWH studio album which really required their presence in this tour.

In conclusion, this is a very good video from a very good concert which was played with a lot of enthusiasm and energy from all the musicians. I enjoyed very much to watch to it.

3 stars This VHS features the same show of the double CD version of "A Night of Yes Music plus" and it features the entire gig. The CD had all the songs minus "I've seen all Good People" and "The Meeting", and it seems that the re-release of the CD doesn't have "Starship Trooper" either. The produc ... (read more)

Report this review (#46642) | Posted by Prosciutto | Wednesday, September 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I saw this tour in England when Tony Levin was in the line up, and this video is a fair representation of what was going on then. the concert opens with a few words from Jon, then he wanders through the crowd doing pseudo-unplugged sing-a-longs of 'Time and a Word', 'Owner of a lonely heart' ... (read more)

Report this review (#46595) | Posted by duncanparsons | Wednesday, September 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE "An Evening Of Yes Music Plus (DVD)"