OUT OF PLACE

7. Ghosts of the Lost Planet
8. Solitary Star
9. Instrumetal
10. Moving Engines
11. Time Has Been Broken (Solitary Particles)

Search SONIC PULSAR Out Of Place lyrics

Guest Musicians:
- Fernando Flores / djambe
- Josefa Maria / female vocals

CD Mellow Records (2005)

SONIC PULSAR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SONIC PULSAR Out Of Place Music

Out of PlaceOut of Place
CD Baby 2006
Playing the UniversePlaying the Universe
CD Baby 2003

More places to buy SONIC PULSAR music online Buy SONIC PULSAR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SONIC PULSAR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SONIC PULSAR Out Of Place ratings distribution

SONIC PULSAR Out Of Place reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars I am not really into progressive metal but when I got this CD as a promo I was stunned by this Portuguese trio: most of their music is dynamic and energetic progmetal (fortunately not those endless scale-acrobatics) with lots of exciting ideas and variety and splendid metallish guitarwork (many biting and howling soli and propulsive heavy riffs), this man is a sensation! Sonic Pulsar also creates moments to relax featuring acoustic rhythm guitar, great keyboards (wonderful piano, classical orchestrations and a soaring string-sound) and some panflute. In my opinion Sonic Pulsar has made a progmetal album on an international level, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#45924) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Review by Menswear
3 stars Perhaps the progressive metal section'd be more appropriate?

This really rocks all the way, all the time. There's not much rest on this record; the band's really pouring it's heart out to impress the listener. Was I impressed? Hmm, I'd say by moments I was stunned by the amount of stuff they actually crammed in the record. There's sooo much stuff to digest, were to begin?

First, this is truly a prog metal album, in the Ayreon way. Which means big guitar chords, big voices and big space-travelling keyboards. Despite the ressemblance with Star One and other such, Sonic Pulsar is really living it's name: the concept of space travelling and cosmos exploration is well fulfilled. We could even state some Star Trek influences on the narration/ computer voice, welcoming you many times. On some tracks, the feeling is different...there's actually some good pop moments in the end. And boy oh boy, they didn't hide their influences; this sounds like, hold on tight: Depeche Mode! Yes, I couldn't hide a smile either. The voice, the beat box, the keyboards and the choruses are truly a spin-off from the Violator album. Hey, who knows? Maybe progressive pop's the future? Tee hee.

Overall, this album didn't made noise in 2005. The Portugese trio didn't reached out too much people at first, but I'm sure that word-to-mouth will make this record get a better crowd. Despite the thickness of the record (changing pace, obscur melodies, the amount of everything) it's an album were you hear the apply they've given from start to finish. From Ayreon to Dream Theater by Rush and finally Depeche Mode, you will find something interesting there, for sure!

An ambitious record from a rigorous band that obviously wants to be part of the greats.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#65900) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 21, 2006

2 stars Well I have to agree with Eric and Menswear that this particular recording is more of a Prog- Metal album then anything else. The guitar is all over it and very impressive. Unfortunately the sound quality is not good at all. Not a fan of the programmed drumming either. Oh and the vocals are weak.

"Out Of Place" kicks in with heavy drums quickly. Vocals a minute in. I like the guitar solo before 3 minutes and the synths that follow. "Burning Inside Me" is laid back as guitar cries out. Vocals and drums take over and it gets heavier before 1 1/2 minutes. The guitar is grinding away after 3 minutes then we get a blistering guitar attack after 5 minutes. "Schizophrenic Playground" is the highlight,a 10 minute instrumental with tons of guitar and aggressiveness. "Always Knew" is a lightweight tune with strummed guitar and reserved vocals. "Intro" opens with spoken words and synths. It kicks in before a minute with some amazing guitar.

"I Heard Of A Place Called Earth" opens with synths. Processed vocals before a minute. It's building, then it kicks in after 2 1/2 minutes. The guitar is lights out good. "Ghosts Of The Lost Planes" features lots of atmosphere. "Solitary Star" has some spoken words and piano early. A relaxed melody takes over with vocals. It's heavier 1 1/2 minutes in. "Instrumental" opens with bass as riffs follow. Lots of tempo and mood shifts on this one. "Moving Engines" opens with spoken words and atmosphere. Reserved vocals before a minute as the music comes in. Lots of atmosphere still. "Time Has Been Broken" opens with vocals then the music kicks in quickly.

At almost 70 minutes it's way too long. I really like the guitar but I have too many complaints unfortunately.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#248323) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 05, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The debut album from this Portuguese band (although more the job of one man ? their leader Hugo Flores) was a pleasant surprise: some good mix between prog metal and symph.

"Out Of Place" is using the same principles and consequently is pretty much similar to the "Ayreon" inspired "Playing The Universe". Still, the metal angle is more blatant ("Burning Inside Me") and therefore I don't like it as much.

One of the most elaborate song is the mini suite (just over ten minutes) "Schizophrenic Playground". It opens as a Floydean affair, very spacey and aerial as the name of this section imposes ("Falling Asleep").

This song is supposed to depict a standard night: fall asleep, dreams, nightmare and awakening. At times, KC is at reach (especially the guitar play). The "Nightmare" part mainly. But is this a surprise with such a title?

This instrumental track is a highlight for sure.

Some short numbers are sounding like fillers and could have been avoided ("Always Knew", " A Chain Of Actions") but the long "I Hear Of A Place Called Earth" is quite attractive. Once again, Floyd is the reference (the intro has a lot to share with "Hey You") with some added prog metal lines. Skilled guitar work as well during this quite good piece of music.

The closing parts from "Out Of Place" are not do good: but that's only due to their metal progressiveness I guess ("Solitary Star" and the well named " Instrumetal"). Fortunately the melodic closing "Time Has Been Broken" brings some variety again.

This album is not as good as its predecessor. Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#255723) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 12, 2009

Post a review of SONIC PULSAR "Out Of Place"