PICTURES FROM CYCLUS 7

Ache

Ache Pictures From Cyclus 7 album cover

Buy ACHE Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. Cyclus 7, Introduction (3:20)
2. Roses (Registering) (6:17)
3. Still hungry (Vampyre song) (7:03)
4. What Can We Do? (0:47)
5. Still registering (2:53)
6. Our Lives (5:53)

- Finn Olafsson / guitars
- Peter Mellin / keyboards, harmony vocals
- Steen Toft Andersen / bass
- Gert Smedegaard / drums

LP CBS 81216 (1976, Denmark)

Thanks to progbear for the addition

ACHE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ACHE Pictures From Cyclus 7 Music

Ache - Pictures From Cyclus 7Ache - Pictures From Cyclus 7
Green Tree Records
CD de homine urbano ~ USD $8.67
CD green man ~ USD $15.01

More places to buy ACHE music online Buy ACHE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ACHE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ACHE Pictures From Cyclus 7 ratings distribution

ACHE Pictures From Cyclus 7 reviews

Review by Progbear
3 stars A collaboration with poet Bo Lillesöe, Ache's third album PICTURES FROM CYCLUS 7 is a concept album which seems to attempt to recap current history with hypothetical future events. Pink Floyd's DARK SIDE OF THE MOON is a fairly obvious influence.

The revamped Ache is now fronted by two lead vocalists: Stig Kreutzfeldt and Johnnie Gellett. Both have understated, low-key singing voices. At times, this works against them, as on the overture-like introduction, where their chirpy, sing-songy voices seem rather at-odds with the dark subject matter. Conversely, some of the melodrama present in the material (e.g.: the faintly ludicrous "Still hungry (Vampyre song)") pushes this into Spinal Tap mode at times.

Don't expect great complexity and you won't be disappointed. Andante 4/4 rhythms make up the vast bulk of the material. Keysman Peter Mellin does a fine job on organ and piano mostly, but adding some subtle synthesizer touches here and there too. Finn Olafsson's guitarwork is not-Gilmour-unlike. More about moods than blaring displays of musicianship, some of the tunes establish moods brilliantly. "Roses (Registering)" and "Our Lives" are high points.

Send comments to Progbear (BETA) | Report this review (#43763) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 22, 2005

Review by Finnforest
3 stars Progbear nails it with "don't expect great complexity and you won't be disapointed." I'm going 3 stars but this could easily be 4 if you don't need great complexity in your prog sandwich.

This is a marvelously accessible record, so much so I'd say it would be a great pick to play for someone who's not sure if they like prog, to break them in. If Dennis Deyoung sang vocals on this you could mistake it for a lost late 70s Styx album. There is a fair amount of cheese factor to parts of it but this is forgivable because there is just enough payoff to make this an interesting release. Bouncy and melodic in spots with a nice mix of textures and pretty good sound on the CD. Nice acoustic interludes pop up here and there. The vocals are very good and the band is able enough, though I was found myself wishing they would tear into a little more aggressive guitar work than they do. I guess that's why I can't go to 4 stars personally, while I like the record, it just seems stuck in mid gear a bit too much.

The photo on the back cover is almost worth the price of admission alone, reminding me of what fun was being had in the late 70s euro-prog scene. Let's just say there may well have been a great party the night that photo was taken! If you want a pleasant and solid album you can sing along to, go for it. Just don't expect anything too serious.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#116230) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 23, 2007

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars I waited a long time to get this CD (the first one was a mistake and had inside the Pictures... cover Acheīs next release in fact). After all this expectation I canīt really say I was thrilled when I finally heard it. According to one reviewer this album is inlfuenced by Pink Floydīs Dark Side Of The Moon, but - with all due respect - I canīt hear ANY musical connection with that record (the lyrics, maybe?). To me the music here is a mix of melodic rock and progressive music not very far away from bands like early ELO or Styx. The only obvious influence at this point is latter day Beatles.

Not that the music inside is not good. I found it to be quite pleasing in many parts and it is obvious that those musicians are skillful (the piano and guitar parts are the highlights). Besides, you donīt hear too many bands coming from Denmark at that time, do we? So I guess it is a kind of first in a time most rock bands were either from US or the UK (Holland and Italy aside, prog wise of course). However, this concept album is quite short (39 minutes) and it fails to generate much excitement. It sounds like they could have be a little more bolder and innovative, but they were holding back somehow. Thatīs the feeling I got. Several tracks seem to go near that prog direction you expect something symphonic or extraordinaire, but rarely it comes near to that. A pity. Production is quite good for the time.

The band would however do a beter job on their next Bla Som Altid.

Rating: 2,5 stars, really, but I will give it an extra half one for the concept and the good musicanship of all involved. 3 stars in total. Good, ok, but maybe essential only for the Danish prog scene sttory.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#291245) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 20, 2010

4 stars If there is melodic rock,how about melodic prog? If you look past the first track, which sounds like a bad attempt on a Beatles sounding single,there is indeed some very catchy music to be had here. The harmony vocals are strong,with a very crisp guitar and some great keyboards plus the a gre ... (read more)

Report this review (#455928) | Posted by gr8dane | Thursday, June 02, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Released in 1976 5 years after their second album Green Man and with a completely revised line up, Pictures From Cyclus 7 was not only Ache's best album, but the best Danish prog album period. I have heard quite a few bands from Denmark, Norway, et all and been hugely let down trying to find s ... (read more)

Report this review (#99375) | Posted by | Friday, November 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ACHE "Pictures From Cyclus 7"