THIS IS OUR PUNK-ROCK, THEE RUSTED SATELLITES GATHER + SING

A Silver Mt. Zion

Post Rock/Math rock

A Silver Mt. Zion This Is Our Punk-Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy A SILVER MT. ZION Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. So Some Lonesome Corners So Many Flowers Bloom (16:27)
2. Babylon Was Built On Fire/Starsnostars (14:44)
3. American Motor Over Smoldered Field (12:05)
4. Goodbye Desolate Railyard (14:25)

Search A SILVER MT. ZION This Is Our Punk-Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing lyrics

Search A SILVER MT. ZION This Is Our Punk-Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing tabs

- Efrim Menuck / guitar, vocals, piano
- Thierry Amar / bass
- Sophie Trudeau / violin
- Jessica Moss / violin
- Rebecca Foon / cello
- Ian Ilavsky / guitar

CD Constellation #27 (2003)
LP Constellation #27 (2003)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

A SILVER MT. ZION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy A SILVER MT. ZION This Is Our Punk-Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing Music

Godspeed You Black Emperor! "F# A# ?" CD RE RM '98 A Silver Mt. Zion Mogwai Mono US $8.99 [0 bids]
Horses in the Sky [LP] by A Silver Mt. Zion (Vinyl, Mar-2005, Constellation) US $29.83 Buy It Now 3 days
A Silver Mt Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts of Light (CD) CST009 - Rare US $19.47 Buy It Now 5 days
A SILVER MT. ZION - 13 BLUES FOR THIRTEEN MOONS [SLIPCASE] - NEW CD US $11.30 Buy It Now 8 days
A SILVER MT. ZION - PRETTY LITTLE LIGHTNING PAW [EP] - NEW CD US $8.70 Buy It Now 11 days
F*** Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything by A Silver Mt. Zion/Thee... US $29.95 Buy It Now 13 days
F*** Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything by A Silver Mt. Zion/Thee... US $23.52 Buy It Now 14 days
"13 Blues for Thirteen Moons" New CD by A Silver Mt. Zion Post Rock Drone Prog US $16.91 Buy It Now 15 days
A SILVER MT. ZION - HE HAS LEFT US ALONE BUT SHAFTS OF LIGHT SOMETIMES - NEW CD US $12.43 Buy It Now 16 days
A Silver Mt Zion Born Into Trouble 2x 10" vinyl LP Record godspeed you black NEW US $26.99 Buy It Now 17 days
A SILVER MT. ZION - BORN INTO TROUBLE AS THE SPARKS FLY UPWARD - NEW CD US $12.75 Buy It Now 17 days
A SILVER MT. ZION/TH - KOLLAPS TRADIXIONALES - NEW CD US $13.83 Buy It Now 18 days
Fly Pan Am "N'╔coutez Pas" LP '04 Set Fire to Flames A Silver Mt. Zion Hangedup US $18.00 Buy It Now 18 days
Kollaps Tradixionales by A Silver Mt. Zion (CD, Feb-2010, Constellation) US $10.85 Buy It Now 19 days
A SILVER MT. ZION - THIS IS OUR PUNK-ROCK, THEE RUSTED SATELLITES - NEW CD US $12.97 Buy It Now 19 days
A SILVER MT. ZION - HORSES IN THE SKY - NEW CD US $11.32 Buy It Now 21 days
Horses in the Sky by A Silver Mt. Zion (CD, Mar-2005, Constellation) US $11.84 Buy It Now 22 days
13 Blues for Thirteen Moons [Slipcase] by A Silver Mt. Zion (CD, Mar-2008,... US $11.33 Buy It Now 22 days
A SILVER MT. ZION**HE HAS LEFT US ALONE**CD US $13.50 Buy It Now 22 days
Kollaps Tradixionales by A Silver Mt. Zion (CD, Feb-2010, Constellation) US $17.95 Buy It Now 25 days
Horses in the Sky by A Silver Mt. Zion (CD, Mar-2005, Constellation) US $17.95 Buy It Now 25 days
13 Blues for Thirteen Moons [Slipcase] by A Silver Mt. Zion (CD, Mar-2008,... US $17.95 Buy It Now 25 days
Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward by A Silver Mt. Zion (CD,... US $10.28 Buy It Now 25 days
A Silver Mt. Zion - F*** Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything (2014) US $18.69 Buy It Now 25 days
A Silver Mt. Zion - F*** Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything (2014) US $21.33 Buy It Now 28 days
Pretty Little Lightning Paw by A Silver Mt. Zion (CD, May-2004, Southern... US $3.07 Buy It Now 28 days
A SILVER MT. ZION**HORSES IN THE SKY**VINYL US $22.61 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy A SILVER MT. ZION music online Buy A SILVER MT. ZION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for A SILVER MT. ZION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

A SILVER MT. ZION This Is Our Punk-Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing ratings distribution

A SILVER MT. ZION This Is Our Punk-Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing reviews

Review by progmonster
1 stars If albums were points in a timeline, then "This is Our Punk Rock" represents the one from wich i got definitely tired by the post rock aesthetic. Yes, it is always easy and funny to criticize progressive rock and how quickly they turned out to be caricatures of themselves ; but post rock proved - even quicker - they were unable to reinvent themselves too. Their previous effort, "Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upwards" sounded more Godspeed You Black Emperor! than the latest Godspeed You Black Emperor!, so gone was the more intimate approach that did define at first A Silver Mt.Zion. Now, they play with a choir, but what would be next ? They cleaned up the surface but deep inside it is the same story repeated over and over, again and again. Unless you are still addicted to this kind of music and need more new fix, not listening to their third album will not make a hole in your musical culture but instead a useless one in your wallet...

Send comments to progmonster (BETA) | Report this review (#42608) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 12, 2005

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This third album of the Montreal-based GYBE! offshoot is one the two more essential ones they made so far - alongside with their previous Born Into Trouble album. This however does not mean that it is a more accessible or any less obscure than other of their records.

The opening track is maybe my favourite and the most symphonic - maybe the most Gybe!- like of all, with an absolutely splendid climax. The second track returns to a more usual ASMZ with lenghty and repetitive vocals while the next one is a quaint fusion or mix of the first two track styles. The last track is getting a little lost with its huge endless choral-like chants with the lead reminding of the most depressing Neil Young (circa Tonight Is The Night). Not yet essential in my eyes, this record is a typical Constellation Records product with its ups and downs.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#55904) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 11, 2005

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars The third offering from the Mt. Zion (etc. etc.) collective takes a dip a little in terms of being interesting or innovative. They try (I think), but sometimes innovation can backfire. That’s probably why this is called experimental music.

I can’t decide if the cheap-looking cover is simply a reflection of apathy on the part of the band, or if they actually thought it was clever. I didn’t.

The music is scored quite a bit different than previous albums. This time the band takes more of a ‘Yanqui U.X.O.’ approach, with only four tracks that wind on for more than ten minutes each. Like the album that would follow, this one starts of with some sort of recording of what I assume to be Sophie Trudeau sounding a bit like an annoying participant in some sort of rehearsal. There are actually some fairly decent female backing harmonies here that add a nice new dimension to the music, but overall the vocals take the form of a polyphonic type of chanting that I used to see bald guys in white robes do in the Denver airport while trying to sell me posies. Tim DeLaughter and his Polyphonic Spree actually already traveled this ground and frankly they are much better at it, so maybe the Mt. Zion folks should stick to what they’re good at.

Anyway, that pretty much describes the first track “So Some Lonesome Corners So Many Flowers Bloom”, Menuck and some other guy (bassist Thierry Amar maybe?) doing their chanting thing with the rest of the group forming a kind of uber-creepy choral backing. This was actually kind of interesting the first couple of times I heard it, but if I want really good pseudo-religious chanting I’ll buy a Gregorian monks CD.

Eventually the singing fades away and the ubiquitous strings take center stage, but by the time they manage to work up a slightly frenzied crescendo I realize it’s really the drummer and Menuck’s guitar doing most of the work and I kind of lose interest.

“Babylon was built on fire/Starsnostars” takes forever to get going, starting with just silence and slowly adding a pulsating guitar, then strings, then some bells and electronic static (I assume that’s not actually from the studio tapes), and eventually Menuck starts with the singing again. By the band’s third album I have actually tired of this, and am distracting a bit by Thierry’s upright bass, which is more prominent here than I recall in any previous work by the band. There appears to be some sort of experiment in quadraphonic vocals toward the end, but since I don’t have a fancy home entertainment system it just ends up sounding like one of my speakers is cutting out. I actually have to admit I didn’t like this track much and have skipped it several times when playing this CD.

“American motor over smoldered field” starts off with one male and one female voice singing what sort of sounds like some fifties hillbilly tune, or maybe an old Green on Red recording. Just an aside, but every time I hear this album I picture Trudeau, violinist Jessica Moss, and cellist Rebecca Foon standing on a concrete studio floor barefoot with hairy armpits and baggy tie-died tshirts, looking bored. That’s probably rude, but hey – I can’t control my thoughts, I blame the music.

This one has a very cool buildup in the middle though, as energetic as anything Mt. Zion have done to-date, with the guitar dominating but both violins and the cello working themselves to a frenzy alongside. Unfortunately this doesn’t last nearly long enough and we’re left with the spacey violins and Menuck’s brain-addled ramblings again to close the song out.

The band saves the best for last on this album. “Goodbye desolate railyard” is an excellent tune, although quite a departure for these guys. The song starts out with acoustic guitar which is soon joined by Menuck’s Kermit the Frog vocals, but here he’s at least fully coherent and I can follow the lyrics. They don’t make much sense, but I can follow them. Here he really does sound like the guy from Green on Red, by the way. This is a very stark work, mostly piano and one violin and Menuck singing like a dying cat. There is an extended instrumental buildup in the middle here as well, but this one sounds like the quittin’ time whistle at a chicken processing plant played over the sound of a freight train being loaded and sent off into the night. Clever maybe, but drawn out much too long to really hold the listener’s attention.

I really do like these guys, this album aside. This one certainly doesn’t represent their finest moment. The ‘clever’ sound effects mostly backfire, the arrangements are largely listless and don’t seem to lead anywhere, and Menuck should really quit singing. There’s more good music coming from our crazy Canadian cousins on subsequent albums, but this one is for collectors only. Two stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#96110) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 28, 2006

Review by Prog-jester
3 stars No, this is NOT Punk Rock :)

ASMZ is a Post-Rock band, and I’m sure that half of readers will stop reading right now. Post-Rock is a unique kind of music; you must be sure if you like it or hate it, there are no compromises. ASMZ is a GYBE off-shot (Efrim’s side-project), but it’s rarely sounds like GYBE. There are acoustic guitars, pianos, vilons, female and male vocals...but wait, they even have choir here! Very minimalistic and a little bit more up-lifting than GYBE, ASMZ shined on their debut 2000 record, but later lost some part of their charm (IMHO) and became just boring in parts. Recommended for Post-Rock (because this is very good CD after all) devotees, but beginners should begin with ASMZ’s “He has left us alone…” album or better any GYBE one.

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#132125) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Review by Warthur
4 stars Adding an amateur choir to the lineup and mutating their band name yet again, A Silver Mt. Zion embrace the vocal performances and found sounds which parent band Godspeed You Black Emperor abandoned on Yanqui UXO. Efraim does a brilliant job of weaving all these disparate elements into a cohesive whole - for instance, on the closing track Goodbye Desolate Railyard, on which the band's playing reaches a crescendo which seamlessly becomes a mechanical shriek heralding a series of railroad noises before these once again mutate into the band and choir singing farewell to the listener. Sure, maybe the post-rock thing was getting old when this one came out, but few bands do it better.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#660963) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 16, 2012

4 stars This time, a 22-piece choir has been added to the band. A Silver Mt. Zion have now become way more of a separate entity from Godspeed You Black Emperor, in which they're often compared to. It's an odd yet fitting touch, the breathtaking drops and pickups are all still here however. Efrim's voi ... (read more)

Report this review (#44166) | Posted by | Wednesday, August 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Although virtually indistinguishable from the larger and more powerful Godspeed You! Black Emperor on their first two releases, with the exception of a marginally quieter volume, it isn't surprising that with "THIS IS OUR PUNK ROCK," THEE RUSTED SATELLITES GATHER AND SING, A Silver Mt. Zion is a ... (read more)

Report this review (#42644) | Posted by morpheusdraven | Friday, August 12, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of A SILVER MT. ZION "This Is Our Punk-Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing"