INNER REVOLUTION

Adrian Belew

Adrian Belew Inner Revolution album cover

Buy ADRIAN BELEW Music
Studio Album, released in 1992

1. Inner Revolution Belew (3:13)
2. This Is What I Believe In (3:29)
3. Standing in the Shadow (3:45)
4. Big Blue Sun (3:49)
5. Only a Dream (3:33 )
6. Birds (2:24)
7. I'd Rather Be Right Here (3:08)
8. The War in the Gulf Between Us (3:30)
9. I Walk Alone (2:47)
10. Everything Belew (2:57)
11. Heaven's Bed (4:05)
12. Member of the Tribe (3:11)

Search ADRIAN BELEW Inner Revolution lyrics

Search ADRIAN BELEW Inner Revolution tabs

Adrian Belew / instruments and vocals
Chris Arduser / drums
Mike Barnett / string bass (2)
Jean Dickinson / violin (4)
Al Jewer / string arrangement (4)
Lizbeth Getman / viola (4)
Alison Lee Jewer / violin (4)
Martha Pickart / cello (4)

1992 Release from Atlantic/ Re-Released in 2004 from Wounded Bird

Thanks to Cygnus X-2 for the addition
and to Joren for the last updates

ADRIAN BELEW MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ADRIAN BELEW Inner Revolution Music

Inner RevolutionInner Revolution
Atlantic 1992

More places to buy ADRIAN BELEW music online Buy ADRIAN BELEW & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ADRIAN BELEW DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ADRIAN BELEW Inner Revolution ratings distribution

ADRIAN BELEW Inner Revolution reviews

Review by Cygnus X-2
3 stars Adrian Belew's 1992 release has him treading into upbeat and mainly poppy avenues. Still, his quirky style of guitar is quite evident, and he creates some truly interesting music, even if some of it is simplistic. As with his previous releases, Belew takes the liberty of performing all instruments on the album, save for a few string instruments and a string arrangement. It may not be Belew's most progressive, his most creative, or even his overall best album, but none the less there is something to enjoy about it.

Inner Revolution opens the album with a strong chord progression and some nice bass/drum interplay. The chorus is also catchy and concise. This Is What I Believe In has a strong opening riff that sounds like some of the interplay between Belew and Robert Fripp on the 80s King Crimson album (Three of a Perfect Pair specifically). Although the choruses are a bit contrived, I'm quite fond of the vocal performance as well. Standing in the Shadow has some overdriven and extrememly fuzzy sounding guitars and some distorted vocals from Belew. It's a pop song by and by, but it's a strong pop piece to say the least. Big Blue Sun is one of the more experimental pieces on the album. It is augmented by a variety of string instruments and has a very bleak yet majestic feel to it. Belew's underlying acoustic guitar molds quite well with the simple yet effective piano progression. It's a nice song that really invokes feelings of The Beatles and other artistic pop bands of the late 60s, albeit with a more modern edge. Only a Dream has some great drumming from Belew and some simple yet catchy guitar chords and vocals, and the solo at the end brings back memories of more energetic guitar efforts like Nave Guitar and Hot Sun.

Birds has a quirky feel to it, with a lot of background distractions and some catchy piano and guitar work. It's not the best piece, but it's not a bad one at all. I'd Rather Be Right Here has a formulaic approach and an unimaginative chord progression, but all in all it's a pretty safe pop piece that gets its point across fast. The War in the Gulf Between Us has some solid drumming and a catchy chorus, but other than that is pretty uninteresting. I Walk Alone has a mellow feel with some intuitive percussion/snapping and an interesting bass/piano motif. In my opinion one of the more creative pieces on the album. Everything has some guitar leads and some creative riffing as well as some precise drumming and a cohesive bass line. It's reminiscent of the song Bad Days off of Mr. Music Head. Heaven's Bed has a persistent guitar rhythm and a nice walking bass line, as well as an underlying guitar arpeggio that really creates an uneasy atmosphere for the song. Very cool song, in my opinion, with a great acoustic feel and a quirky guitar solo towards the end. Member of the Tribe closes the album with an upbeat feel by and by. It has a cool ascending guitar riff and some intuitive drumming and some fun lyrics as well as some underlying guitar sound effects underneath the mix. It ends the album on a high note and very well at that.

In the end, Inner Revolution isn't a very progressive album. So if you're looking for progressive rock, you'll be hard pressed to find anything of that style on this album. Although here and there you can detect some very creative ideas and some imaginative pieces, on the whole what you'll find here is a glorified pop record. Fans of Belew will probably like this one and 80s King Crimson fans may find some enjoyment out of this, but if you want some really cool Belew, go with one of his three latest albums. It's a good album, just not progressive. 3/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#84731) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Sorry Ade, you are not a Beatle.

Adrian Belew's Inner Revolution has very little outwardly revolutionary. The songs here are just plain pop. If it wasn't for Belew's somewhat interesting guitar sounds, there wouldn't be much to liten to here. The song all sound like Belew was trying to imitate the Beatles. In a slight way he succeeds, but in doing so comes across more like a wannabe like Jeff Lynne. His voice even sounds quite a bit like Lynne throughout the album. Although, one track, "I Walk Alone", sounds somewhat like Roy Orbison, and it precedes "Everything" which sound like George Harrison, so maybe he was going for a Travelling Wilburys sound.

If you like Belew's guitar playing, there are much better ways to get a fix than this disk.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#213068) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 30, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars We all have our ways of coping with different issues. But when Adrian Belew goes through personal problems he prefers to do an album session instead!

I really love these kind of personal albums because they bring out the artistic personalty and put the music in a whole new different perspective! This is one of the two Adrian Belew albums I own and originally I was very confused about his Eclectic Prog-categorization because both Inner Revolution and Here are straight forward contemporary pop/rock albums without any progressive rock in them. Having said that I still love them dearly because there are just so many great songs here!

The album begins with a weird fade in effect sound but as soon as the vocals of the album-titled composition come in it's obvious that Adrian is not trying to disguise his basic songwriting and is instead just having great fun with it.

My personal favorite composition here is Birds because it has such a care-free feel to it. The pre-chorus lyrics gives me goosebumps every time I hear the words: "Dear god, I know sometime I'm gonna die and when I do I hope you'll give me one more try up in the sky with those birds". Do I even have talk about the great guitar solo? All that in less than 2,5 minutes of pure bliss!

These types of personal albums deserve a genre of its own and although Inner Revolution may not be the Imperial Bedroom of the genre it's still very enjoyable from star to finish! Unfortunately the rules restrain me from giving the album anything more than a 3-star rating but hopefully this short review gave an indication of my actual rating.

***** star songs: Birds (2:24)

**** star songs: Inner Revolution (3:13) This Is What I Believe In (3:29) Standing In The Shadow (3:45) Big Blue Sun (3:49) Only A Dream (3:33) I'd Rather Be Right Here (3:08) The War In The Gulf Between Us (3:30) I Walk Alone (2:47) Everything (2:57) Heaven's Bed (4:05)

*** star songs: Member Of The Tribe (3:11)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#263267) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 29, 2010

2 stars Adrian Belew's sixth solo studio output is a strange shot at pop. Oddly simple, short, and vocally-led, Inner Revolution does not exactly offer the listener with anything fresh, unique, or stunning. Furthermore, it's mildly predictable, poorly produced, and, in short, lackluster. However, a few we ... (read more)

Report this review (#134170) | Posted by Shakespeare | Wednesday, August 22, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Not the best way to introduce yourself into Belew's solo discography. A nice album indeed but a little poppish and full of Beatles reminiscenses; simple and short songs even when all the album is perfectly composed and played by Adrian (he plays all the instruments on this album). At the end, ... (read more)

Report this review (#115368) | Posted by progadicto | Friday, March 16, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ADRIAN BELEW "Inner Revolution"