SIDE TWO

Adrian Belew Side Two album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy ADRIAN BELEW Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

1. Dead Dog on Aspahalt (4:05)
2. I Wish I Knew (3:19)

- Gary Tussing / cello
- Peter Hyrka / violin
- Leah Belew / whispers

CD Sanctuary Records (USA) Cat. # 84755

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition
and to Joren for the last updates

ADRIAN BELEW MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ADRIAN BELEW Side Two Music

Side TwoSide Two
Sanctuary Records 2005
Side Two by Belew, Adrian [Music CD]Side Two by Belew, Adrian [Music CD]
Sanctuary Records

More places to buy ADRIAN BELEW music online Buy ADRIAN BELEW & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ADRIAN BELEW DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ADRIAN BELEW Side Two ratings distribution

ADRIAN BELEW Side Two reviews

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars Part two of Adrian Belew's musical trio is something entirely different from the first. While Side One featured predominantly Krimson overtones and manic guitar, this one features a more synthetic approach, with drum loops and synth pads being the dominant rhytmic force. Adrian Belew still adds the manic guitar, though, but not as predominantly as in Side One. His musicianship on this album is top notch, everything sounds great, and everything is played to perfection.

Stand out tracks for me are Asleep, which features Adrian's daughter Leah whisphering into the speakers, but also contains wild guitar and a steady trance beat. Happiness has a circus feel to it, with haunting organ sounds filling the speakers. The lyrics on this album are all haikus according to the liner notes, and they still feature Adrian's wit and quirky flavor while trying to go in new directions. My overall favorite track on the album, though, is the opener Dead Dog on Asphalt. This song features dissonant guitar work that gives the song a more haunting feel. Adrian's solo on this one is among the best on the album, it also features that dissonance and keeps the feel of the song perfectly.

Overall, this is a slight improvement over Side One. While Side One was almost perfect, this one is even closer to perfection. My only gripe is that some of the more electronic pieces sound similar in structure. Regardless, this one is one of the best albums I've heard. Let's hope Side Three is the masterpiece the fans are waiting for. 4.5/5

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#40871) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 29, 2005

Review by Hangedman
4 stars Now this album blew me away. Side 1 while very good, was nothing to rant about. I only bought Side 2 on a curious whim. Never has one of my whims paid off so heavily. Adrian treads ground he's never walked over before, and that's saying a lot for such an accomplished musician. The only flaw is that the album is only 33 minutes and 12 seconds. It does not have enough substance to be a masterpiece.

The sparse simplistic vocals paired with the looping makes an amazing trancelike atmospheric sound. Every time I listen I'm completely absorbed into the patterns that lay the foundations to the songs. Now this wouldn't be Adrian Belew if there wasn't some his trademark drowning in whammy guitar. Id say the greatest accomplishment of the album is that despite its short length once you get to the end of the experience it doesn't leave you wanting more. You are completely satisfied with where the album has brought you, the thought that it evokes is impressive. Belew's lyrics don't get more than an amused smile from me, but he manages to pull you in emotionally and cognitively this time. Despite the fact the album is minimalist in nature, Belew and the guest musicians manage to pay some well put together and difficult compositions.

There isn't a weak track on the entire album, from the raw power of "Dead Dog On Asphalt" and its assault on the soul with Belew's furious yet held back guitar, right to "Sunlight" and its uplifting looping synth textures you don't lose interest once. Highlights include "Asleep" this song uses all of the albums focus very well, its a moving and creepy song which the synth/drum loops combine seamlessly with guitar instead of almost playing against each other as with the rest of the album. Also "Happiness" in where the song seems to mock the title, its short but gets across its meaning brilliantly.

Like I said just short of a masterpiece rating, and so far (with it being August 1st 2005) this is the album of the year. Id suggest you buy it even if you couldn't stand Side 1. Adrian fixes every fault (musically and conceptually anyways) and has made a very strong addition to an already great discography. Side 3 has a lot to live up to.

Send comments to Hangedman (BETA) | Report this review (#41190) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 01, 2005

Review by Tristan Mulders
2 stars Adrian Belew - Side Two

This was my first encounter with KING CRIMSON's Adrian Belew's solo work and I must say it wasn't that good if you ask me. It seems that Adrian doesn't really mind using any sort of standard pattern, instead you get ethereal melodies, weird drum(computer) rhythms and his trademark guitar playing. Personally, I quite like parts of it when I'm in a specific mood, but on the other hand, there are moments when I really can't listen to his music, if you get my point, it just isn't my cup'o tea so to speak. You really have to be in a certain kind of mood to appreciate the abstractness of Belew's compositions. I heard the other "Side" albums as well, but those didn't even remotely connect with me on any sort of level...

I mean.. Belew manages to make the most commercial track on this album to sound like an acid trip... hey, that sums all of his music up in one sentence.. Spaced-out music can be rather enjoyable, but this is something you listen to once and never again.

I think this will make a lot of King Crimson fans happy, but if you need some sort of 'guiding light' in a musical composition, please stay away from this as far as you can!

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#117236) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 03, 2007

3 stars My old records with Belew was all very diffrent in style, Lone Rhino, Desire cought by the Tail, and Young Lions. So i had no idear what to expect from this. Especialy because 15 year have gone by where i havent listened to anything from Belew, besides what he done with King Crimson. Turns ... (read more)

Report this review (#243636) | Posted by tamijo | Thursday, October 08, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ADRIAN BELEW "Side Two"