THE WORKS

Buy QUEEN Music
Studio Album, released in 1984

1 Radio Ga Ga (5:49)
2 Tear It Up (3:28)
3 It's a Hard Life (4:08)
4 Man on the Prowl (3:28)
5 Machines (Back to Humans) (5:10)
6 I Want to Break Free (3:20)
7 Keep Passing the Open Windows (5:21)
8 Hammer to Fall (4:28)
9 Is This the World We Created...? (2:13)
10 I Go Crazy* (previously released as b-side) (3:42)
11 Radio Ga Ga* (Extended Version) (6:50)
12 I Want to Break Free* (Extended Mix) (7:12)

Search QUEEN The Works lyrics

Search QUEEN The Works tabs

- Freddie Mercury / piano, vocals
- Brian May / guitars, vocals, keyboards
- John Deacon / bass, guitar
- Roger Taylor / drums, vocals
with:
- Fred mandel / synthesiser programming and piano final on track 4

1984 & 1991 Queen Productions ltd. Rereleased in 1991 by Hollywood Records with bonus tracks noted with * in track listing. Produced by Queen and Mack

Thanks to tuxon for the addition

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN The Works Music

Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)
Hollywood Records 2014
Queen: Greatest Hits I & IIQueen: Greatest Hits I & II
Hollywood Records 1995
Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)
Box set
Hollywood Records 2002
Greatest Hits: We Will Rock You EditionGreatest Hits: We Will Rock You Edition
Remastered · Special Edition
Hollywood Records 2004
A Night at the Opera [Vinyl]A Night at the Opera [Vinyl]
Fontana Hollywood 2008
Vinyl$14.19
QUEEN - One Vision (Extended) 12" Yugoslavia 1985 EX/EX US $24.99 Buy It Now 31m 26s
ELEKTRA The First 50 Years 5 CD BOX SET The Doors, Queen & many more US $17.00 [1 bids]
31m 28s
RARE 10" x 8" COLOUR PHOTO (COA) HAND SIGNED BY BRIAN MAY "QUEEN" GUITAR LEGEND US $30.32 [1 bids]
37m 39s
LP The Best Of QUEEN Polish Poland + Insert US $35.00 Buy It Now 38m 28s
(DV415) Holy Vessels, Queen of Alimony - 2012 DJ CD US $4.02 Buy It Now 38m 52s
QUEEN tie your mother down EMI 7-inch DEMO EMI 2593! US $49.17 Buy It Now 39m 46s
Tchaikovsky: Queen of Spades - Great Scenes, New Music US $12.18 Buy It Now 42m 17s
Queen - Flash Gordan Soundtrack ... 1980 Electra/Asylum Records US $4.99 [0 bids]
42m 52s
QUEEN LATIFAH 10" X 8" PROMO PHOTO /PRINT / R&B / SOUL / JAZZ / L37AP US $1.13 [0 bids]
43m 49s
Queen Self Titled LP, Original Recording Elektra EKS-75064 1973 Vinyl Record US $5.00 [0 bids]
47m 47s
LOLEATTA HOLLOWAY queen of the night LP VG+ GA 9501 Vinyl 1978 Record US $7.20 Buy It Now 48m 12s
QUEEN LATIFAH 10" X 8" PROMO PHOTO /PRINT / R&B / SOUL / JAZZ / L38AP US $1.13 [0 bids]
49m 9s
NORMAN GREENBAUM - Petaluma/Dairy Queen | Rare PROMO Reprise 45 w/ comp. sleeve US $9.98 Buy It Now 53m 18s
The Game - Queen (Cassette 1980, Elektra) in VGC+/NM US $6.29 Buy It Now 54m 3s
45 rpm Queen "We Are the Champions"/"We Will Rock You" US $6.59 [0 bids]
54m 4s
YUNA YOONA KIM Skating Queen on Ice Classics Best Album 2 CD + DVD USA SELLER US $15.99 [0 bids]
54m 17s
QUEEN LATIFAH 10" X 8" PROMO PHOTO /PRINT / R&B / SOUL / JAZZ / L39AP US $1.13 [0 bids]
54m 21s
(CQ657) Jamie Pearce, Tabloid Queen - 2003 DJ CD US $3.26 Buy It Now 55m 49s
KATIE WEBSTER SWAMP BOOGIE QUEEN DEGREE BLUES RECORD LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 57m 20s
Queen Pen - My Melody CD 13trks 1997 US $3.83 [0 bids]
57m 29s
DeBarge - Rhythm Of The Night / Queen Of My Heart 45 rpm 1985 US $2.50 Buy It Now 58m 33s
Queen: We are the Champions, We Will Rock You 1977 45rpm US $3.99 [0 bids]
58m 40s
Pere Ubu Queen Elizabeth Hall setlist 5th April 1998 US $24.58 [0 bids]
SEALED JOHN BARRY: Mary Queen Of Scots LP DECCA RECORDS DL79186 US 1971  US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
BLONZ-Queen Anne's Revenge/TORN LACE/Chaingang/BLONDES-Cassette tape-METAL-Vocal US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Queen Of Hearts - Uttal,Jai US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 8m
QUEEN + BOWIE UNDER PRESSURE, PAIR OF CD SINGLES/ US $7.54 [5 bids]
QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS ROOTS OF ROCK DOUBLE DVD SET + BOOK (FACTORY SEALED) US $28.76 [7 bids]
QUEEN LIVE AT WEMBLEY STADIUM 1986 Japan 1st Pressing 2DVD set with Obi SEALED! US $59.80 Buy It Now 1h 10m
QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS- STONE COLD CLASSICS. USA CD NEAR MINT US $5.24 [3 bids]
QUEEN + VANGUARD FLASH CD SINGLE + BONUS HEAVEN FOR EVERYONE CD2, CD SINGLE US $4.43 [3 bids]
QUEEN 2 DUTCH IMPORT PRESSING LP. VERY RARE 1974 EXCELLENT CONDITION US $13.93 [9 bids]
QUEEN A KIND OF MAGIC CD ALBUM USA WITH EXTRA TRACKS US $7.21 [5 bids]
Johnny Cash Big River / Ballad of a Teenage Queen 45 VG+ Sun U-284 US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
QUEEN A KIND OF MAGIC GLOSSY SLEEVE 7" ORIGINAL 1986 NEAR MINT, RARE LIKE THIS!! US $9.88 [5 bids]
QUEEN A KIND OF MAGIC NOVELTY WALLET. FANCLUB PASS HOLDER, US $15.39 [7 bids]
QUEEN A KIND OF MAGIC RARE FRENCH 7"PS (ORIG 1986) DIFF LAMBERT SLEEVE NR MINT US $11.03 [9 bids]
QUEEN A KIND OF MAGIC VERY RARE ORIGINAL PHONE CARD. NUMBERED US $9.01 [8 bids]
QUEEN A KIND OF MAGIC, GERMAN ORIGINAL 7"PS NEAR MINT, HARD TO FIND LIKE THIS!!! US $5.57 [2 bids]
QUEEN A NIGHT AT THE OPERA CD ALBUM + BONUS MIRACLE CD ALBUM US $5.24 [9 bids]
QUEEN A NIGHT AT THE OPERA JAPANESE CD ALBUM- WITH INNERS. NEAR MINT US $10.65 [5 bids]
GEORGE MICHAEL AND QUEEN**FIVE LIVE (EP)**CD US $5.65 Buy It Now 1h 15m
QUEEN A NIGHT AT THE WAREHOUSE RARE 1ST ISSUE DOUBLE LP.NEAR MINT.MEGARARE US $458.89 [61 bids]
Queen - Greatest Hits, Queen, Good US $0.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN ABSOLUTELY RARE DOUBLE RED VINYL. LIMITED EDITION. NEAR MINT US $50.81 [15 bids]
QUEEN ANOTHER ONE BITES 3" CD SINGLE/1988 LIMITED EDITION EXCELLENT CONDITION US $9.01 [6 bids]
QUEEN BECOMING QUEEN RARE DVD EXCELLENT CONDITION US $3.61 [4 bids]
QUEEN BICYCLE RACE MEGARARE RUSSIA ONLY LIMITED FLEXI US $9.01 [2 bids]
QUEEN BODY LANGUAGE GERMAN ORIGINAL 7"PS 1982 NEAR MINT-HARD TO FIND LIKE THIS!! US $5.24 [3 bids]
QUEEN BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY 3" CD SINGLE/1988 LIMITED EDITION EXCELLENT CONDITION US $12.29 [9 bids]
QUEEN BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY BLACK N GOLD 7"PS + BONUS KIND MAGIC FRENCH IMPORT 7"PS US $5.24 [2 bids]
QUEEN BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY UK 7" 1975 MADE IN TO A NOVELTY BOWL. US $1.62 [1 bids]
ARETHA FRANKLIN Queen of Soul: The Atlantic Recordings 4 CD box set PLUS 2 cds US $13.49 [2 bids]
QUEEN BRIAN MAY + FRIENDS STAR FLEET-/GERMANY 1983 LP EXCELLENT US $9.01 [4 bids]
QUEEN BRIAN MAY BACK LIGHT VERY RARE JAPAN JEWEL CASE,LIMITED FACTORY SEALED!! US $12.29 [5 bids]
LONDON BOBBY & QUEEN ANNE - STREETS OF LONDON - 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
QUEEN BRIAN MAY BACK TO LIGHT PT1 + PT2 DOUBLE CD SET- LIMITED 1992 US $9.16 [3 bids]
QUEEN BRIAN MAY UNIQUE PHOTO.BY KATHY EASTON. UNIQUE PHOTO. TRUE ONE OFF ! US $5.24 [2 bids]
QUEEN BRIAN MAY UNIQUE PHOTO.BY KATHY EASTON. WEMBLEY MAY 1978 A ONE OFF!! US $5.24 [2 bids]
QUEEN CALLING ALL GIRLS MEGARARE RUSSIA ONLY LIMITED FLEXI US $9.01 [2 bids]
QUEEN COMING SOON MEGARARE RUSSIA ONLY LIMITED FLEXI US $9.01 [2 bids]
QUEEN CRAZY LITTLE THING 3" CD SINGLE/1988 LIMITED EDITION EXCELLENT CONDITION US $6.39 [4 bids]
QUEEN CROWN JEWELS MEGA RARE USA 8CD BOXSET.LIMITED EDITION. NEAR MINT US $73.42 [17 bids]
QUEEN DAYS OF OUR LIVES. DEFINITIVE DOCUMENTARY DVD 2011 NEAR MINT US $6.88 [6 bids]
QUEEN DONT STOP ME NOW RARE SHEET MUSIC DATED 1978 ORIGINAL US $17.34 [9 bids]
QUEEN FIRST EP 3" CD SINGLE/1988 LIMITED EDITION EXCELLENT CONDITION US $6.88 [5 bids]
QUEEN FOREVER MEGARARE RUSSIA ONLY LIMITED FLEXI US $9.01 [2 bids]
Billy Ocean Suddenly inc Caribbean Queen Mystery Lady + LP US $4.92 Buy It Now 1h 24m
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY A PICTORIAL TRIBUTE, EXCELLENT CONDITION US $3.61 [4 bids]
Queen Flash Gordon Original Soundtrack + Insert Inner Sleeve 1980 Elektra EXC Lp US $9.95 [0 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY EVENING POST NEWSPAPER NOV 1991 ORIGINAL US $26.22 [8 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY FOOLIN AROUND MEGARARE RUSSIA ONLY LIMITED FLEXI US $3.61 [3 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY LIVING ON OWN ARE SPAINISH SLEEVE 7"PS DIFFERENT SLEEVE, US $50.81 [3 bids]
NEW SIGNED Queen Latifah CD Persona U.N.I.T.Y. 2009 US $25.49 Buy It Now 1h 25m
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY LOVE IS DANGEROUS MEGARARE RUSSIA ONLY LIMITED FLEXI US $5.24 [2 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY LOVE KILLS RARE UK PICTURE DISC 7" 1985 US $44.25 [17 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY MR BAD GUY UK LP + BONUS WANT IT ALL 12"PS US $8.19 [5 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY MR BAD GUY USA RARE CD ALBUM US $26.22 [9 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY NICE OFFICIAL PROMO PICTURE EXCELLENT CONDITION US $1.97 [2 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY THE DEFINITIVE BIOGRAPHY BOOK 1997/. US $12.29 [5 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY TRIBUTE OFFICIAL FAN CLUB MAGAZINE 1991 EXCELLENT CONDITIO US $12.29 [7 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY VERY RARE OFFICIAL LIMITED EDITION STAMP + OFFICIAL CARD US $7.70 [5 bids]
POSTER - THE RISE OF BROTALITY - I Killed The Prom Queen, The Ghost Inside US $17.96 [0 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY-LOVE TRUST HOPE. AIDS AWARENESS T-SHIRT. MED US $1.62 [1 bids]
QUEEN FREDDIE MERCURY-RED RIBBON - AIDS AWARENESS T-SHIRT. XL US $2.29 [2 bids]
QUEEN FRIENDS WILL BE FRIENDS 7" PICTURE DISC 1986 LTD VERY LIMITED US $26.22 [8 bids]
QUEEN FRIENDS WILL BE FRIENDS RARE SPAINISH SLEEVE 7"PS DIFFERENT SLEEVE, US $73.75 [10 bids]
QUEEN GEORGE TREMLETT THE QUEEN STORY, 1976 PAPERBACK,VERY RARE US $9.01 [7 bids]
QUEEN GOOD COMPANY MEGARARE RUSSIA ONLY LIMITED FLEXI US $9.01 [2 bids]
QUEEN GREATEST HITS 1 & 2 DOUBLE CD -FACTORY SEALED, RARE LIKE THIS 2CD US $18.03 [6 bids]
MAGGIE BELL 8 TRACK TAPE Queen of The Night TESTED nw pad & splice US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
QUEEN GREATEST HITS 1 CD ALBUM DUTCH CD ALBUM + BONUS MADE IN HEAVEN CD ALBUM US $4.92 [5 bids]
QUEEN GREATEST HITS 2 VERY RARE ORIGINAL PROMO BOXSET- US $32.78 [9 bids]
QUEEN GREATEST HITS 3- LIMITED EDITION CD WITH PRINTED CASE, VERY RARE US $13.93 [7 bids]
QUEEN HAMMER TO FALL RARE SPAINISH SLEEVE 7"PS DIFFERENT SLEEVE, LIMITED US $73.75 [5 bids]
QUEEN HAMMER TO FALL. LOT OF FOUR 7"PS UK (1984 ORIGINALS) NICE LITTLE SET US $10.65 [4 bids]
QUEEN HEADLONG UK CD SINGLE-1991 EXCELLENT CONDITION US $6.88 [4 bids]
OTIS REDDING KING & QUEEN LP CARLA THOMAS STAX 716 MONO 1967 ORIGINAL US $29.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN The Works ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

QUEEN The Works reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
1 stars Well sometimes a change of rules does produce side effects. The weighing factor, installed to prevent reviews as bad as the one you are about to read, has forced me to actually write a review. I had been content on giving a low rating to bad Queen albums (this means from The Game until Innuendo), but now it has to come out , just like Freddy Mercury did his coming out (I'd rather Freddy Kruger doing his coming out than Mercury >> less gory ;-) once more with the awful and atrocious Radio Gaga. Unfortunately, this track is not the only bad one on this album! Actually, if you can believe Radio Gaga is almost an average track on such a crappy album.

So here is my coming out: AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#41703) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 05, 2005

Review by clarke2001
4 stars An excellent album from the 80's, bordering progressive genre.

After a terrifying disco attempt "Hot Space", the guys are back on the right track with their "Works". To be very honest, most progressive thing from this album is the cover itself, which reminds a lot of EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER's "Works" (One and Two) album. Design is similar, the album title is similar, the font is similar. Coincidence?!?

Anyway, QUEEN's "The Works" does not sound like a ELP's namesake (luckily). The album is sort of a mixed bag, but overall it's very good. There are few hard-rock numbers such are "Tear It Up", often played on gigs with zeppelinesque intro added, and "Hammer To Fall", neat glam-metal tune with lyrics about desperate struggle in everyday's existence. "Man In the Prowl" resembles rockabilly style already seen in "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" five years earlier, but it's not even close. Forgettable and weakest track which doesn't fit into album sci-fi/machinery spleen at all. "It's A Hard Life" was a huge hit, borrowing intro from the Leoncavallo's opera "Pagliacci", but connection with prog rock is ending here, because rest of the track is poppish and chorus is literally the carbon-copy of their 1979 hit "Play The Game".

"Radio Ga Ga" and "I Want To Break Free" are the most known hits from this album both ranking very high on charts, and both gained an anthem-like status. High quality-pop songs with nice bass guitar and synth work on "Radio Ga Ga" (including band's use of a vocoder - Roland VK330 - for the first time in their career), and "I Want To Break Free" houses the highlight of the solos - that famous synth solo that was played so expressive, full of pitch bending and guitar-like pronunciations. It's NOT Brian's guitar, it's a keyboard! I do not want to sound like a snob, but I guess you have to be a keyboard player to fully appreciate this.

"Is This The World We Created...?" is a lovely acoustic ballad with lyrics so typical for the mid-eighties, and "Keep Passing The Open Windows" is one of the best unknown songs that QUEEN ever did, with relatively simple chord structure, beautiful melodies and bass & piano driven pattern that is really making driving impression (they will do the similar thing on "Breakthru" five years later, but the result wouldn't be even close). Brilliant!

For the very end, the track that deserves all the rating stars for itself: "Machines (or Back To Humans)": perhaps one of the finest examples of science fiction genre in (prog!) rock music. This track is just perfect, with perfect amount of lobotomising-dehumanising sounds, mechanical rhythm, and excellent rock vocals and guitar. It's like the mixture of PINK FLOYD, Peter Gabriel circa "Shock The Monkey"-era and the best KRAFTWERK's moments, all that wrapped in the perfectly digestible 5-minute pop package. You must be both genius and highly-experienced professional to create this.

At the end of the day, this album deserves four stars. It's fantastic, and you won't get any closer to prog than this - we are talking about the famous band in the middle of the 80's. Get it.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#97756) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 09, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars This is another album that I do not favor but the album itself was quite popular, especially through the song "Radio Gaga" which I never understand at all. For me "Radio Gaga" is a song with a boring composition and repetitive loops as rhythm. But for some reason that I never understand, this song was one of major hits of the band, even from friends around me. I'd rather listen to "Tear It Up" which is much more rockin' than the Radio gaga hit. "It's a Hard Life" is another good song that represents the old style. I can hear clearly during Brian May's guitar solo at the interlude part. Freddie Mercury vocals seem so powerful and clear. Another major hit is "I Want To Break Free" which, again, for me sounds so boring as well. "Keep Passing The Open Window" combines the piano and repetitive bass guitar lines continued with a pop beat that sounds boring too.

It's recommended only for completionist.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#121023) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Queen dropped so low during their last three albums that at some point they have to release another good album to satisfy the disappointed and early fans, don't they?

But when you listen to "Radio", you can't really be overwhelmed by this "machin-chose" (can't translate this). Same disco-electro beats than during most of the disgusting "Hot Space". The only difference resides in its melody. Maybe.

Is it to keep some rock fans awake that the band is recording the poor AOR-ish "Tear It Up". Awful drum noises (sorry Roger). It sounds almost as a Gary Glitter track. Press next of course.

It's a hard life, the one of reviewer. At times there are such poor works from once great bands. But in this case, "It A Hard Life" is the next track... Almost a relief after these two opening numbers. A melodic track, with nice vocals, great guitar from Brian, like he used to produce ages ago. Of course, it is a very commercial ballad but it sounds so much as a breathe of fresh in the midst of so much mediocrity like "Man On The Prowl" which is one of the worst track on "The Works".

My feeling are pretty mixed about "Machines". Isn't it the poorest song out here? Or just only one of them? Dreadful beat (similar to ""Tear It Up"). The second average moment is "I Want To Break Free" the second hit single from this album. Good vocals from Freddie and catchy melody are much appreciated. Finally a good song.

And even if "Keep Passing The Open Windows" is rocking alright, it is far from being great. At times it reminds me of the very good "Stepping Out" from Joe Jackson. But that one was a great song. The queen one only average.

My fave (if any) is "Hammer To Fall". I guess that it should be the song that most early days "Queen" fans should tolerated (but these heavy drumming are annoying at times). It is almost a classic Queen song. The highlight.

Did the band got inspired by the great Worksfrom ELP that they chose the same title for this album? Who knows. This album is slightly better than their later ones and I rate this one with two stars. I can't really understand those high ratings here.

Is it necessary to tell you that you shouldn't expect any prog in here. Maybe for their next album?

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#160364) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars A return to formula perhaps, but not yet a big return to form

With the previous Hot Space album, Queen tried out a slightly different approach compared to earlier albums. This led some critics to accuse them of abandoning their Rock based sound. This was only partly true, but Hot Space was a rather weak album anyway, so with this album they reverted somewhat to the formula of The Game. Man On The Prowl, for example, is a blatant try at making another Crazy Little Thing Called Love (which was not very good in the first place!). However, there were also new elements introduced to the ever evolving Queen sound. The Works is the most electronic sounding Queen album, most clearly noticeable on Radio Ga Ga and Machines (or Back To Humans) which almost seem to be influenced by the likes of Kraftwerk! Side by side with the traditional Rock 'N' Roll influences, this creates a quite interesting mix, I must say.

By this time in their career, Queen had transformed into more of a singles band than an albums band. Keeping this in mind we ought to expect some fillers on their albums from this period, and indeed there are some fillers here like the aforementioned Man On The Prowl and Keep Passing The Open Windows. Tear It Up is also not a particularly strong number and it certainly doesn't offer any surprises. Radio Ga Ga and I Want To Break Free became big hits, but they have never been favourites of mine. However, the latter has a keyboard solo that shows the band having fun in the studio, I love that solo!

The rest of the tracks are pretty good though, even if the lyrics to Machines are hard to take seriously (I'm thinking of Kraftwerk's Man Machine album). The strongest tracks are It's A Hard Life, Hammer To Fall and Is This The World We Created?, the latter two closing the album on a high note. The guitar work of Brian May, when it is present, is very strong as always, but while his presence is stronger here than on Hot Space, it is still weaker than on future albums like A Kind Of Magic and The Miracle.

The Works constituted an improvement over Hot Space and with every subsequent album starting with the present one, things would improve further, culminating with the excellent Innuendo. The Works features some good moments but it is still one of Queen's weaker albums.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#189931) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Review by b_olariu
3 stars After the mediocre and the worst Queen album ever produce Hot space, they released in 1984 The works. An improvement is made but not expect to something great here. Another album in charts and another more than 2 pieces on top 100. To me this is a good album if you want to listen to something easy, accesible, for everybody, nothing groundbreaking here . The comercial attitude were at their peak, but with all that they manage to create something enjoyble. The music from this album is pop with some rock flavours, typical Queen album in the '80's. One piece from this album is absolute excellent: Keep Passing the Open Windows , I think one of the best they ever done, catchy tune. 3 stars for this album . Better than predecesor for sure Hot space , at same level with the nest one , not among their best but not among their worst.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#207825) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 20, 2009

Review by The Truth
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
5 stars People are going to look at this review and think I'm crazy when they see this rating but to tell you the truth, I just don't see any bad tracks on this album. Sure it's dance music, but a lot of the time it sounds like prog-dance. (a new genre?) Anyways, if your not a prog-dance fan look no further than the excellent songs Keep Passing the Open Windows and It's a Hard Life which will please any music fan. But if your like me, I enjoy the tracks I Want to Break Free, Hammer to Fall, and the ever-so soft ballad Is This the World We Created. People may call other tracks on this album weak, and they may seem so at first listen but I assure you that they were just Queen experimenting with a new sound. They even, you must admit are at the least bit enjoyable. Queen's best eighties album in my opinion!

Send comments to The Truth (BETA) | Report this review (#229105) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 30, 2009

Review by Matthew T
4 stars Back in 1984 when I used to watch video clips a lot more frequently along comes the new Queen single Radio Ga Ga and I immediately loved it. While I would be the first to say that Queen was not my favourite band at the time, I heard them frequently as my wife and friends loved them. ( A Night at The Opera, Day at The Races etc).The next single, I Want to Break Free I heard on the radio and so found myself down at the record store on the way home.

This album is a creature of the eighties period and of course starts off with Radio Ga Ga and then straight onto the Brian May song Tear It Up and really the title says it all with that great start, Are You Ready is how the tune is introduced with a qiuck blistering guitar solo from Brian May and we are off. Wonderful song. Track 4 Man On The Prowl with its rockabilly influence which was written by Freddie Mecury is another song worth a mention but for me this album really has no weakpoints and the track selection was done to perfection for the songs on the album which keeps things interesting right throughout. Another Freddie tune that I find interesting on this album is Keep Passing the Open Window but where would it be without I Want to Break Free and even though John Deacon wrote the song,who else could have sang it but Freddie.

Although the majority will say that A Night At The Opera, Queen 2 and A Day at the Races are the high points in this bands career, it is this album that grabbed me. Also I would like to mention, miss you Freddie. Great vocalist,songwriter and last but not least showman.

This album when it finishes always makes me think,what about another play. Has to be 4 Stars

Send comments to Matthew T (BETA) | Report this review (#257763) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 25, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
1 stars All we play is radio caca"

Queen followed up the atrocious disco abomination "Hot Space" with another brown jewel for the litter box that is their ninteen eighties production. Where they once wrote and performed with style and daring, they now alternate schmaltz and cliche. To make the album even more frustrating, at a few points, the band almost sounds like they are going to play something that doesn't sound fit for a dentist's waiting room, but then, every time, the song veers into the predictable MOR that Queen was then making their trademark.

"You had your time, you had the power" You've squandered away your finest hour

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#383924) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 21, 2011

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars "All we hear is Radio Gagging..."

Not a good Queen album by any stretch of the imagination, "The Works" is a product of the dreaded 80s, and sounds like the saccharine synth soaked manufactured pop that churned out of the music industry. The music was chewed up and regurgitated by radio airwaves, and remains the sound of the 80s undoubtedly. 'Radio Ga Ga' is one of the main culprits complete with handclaps that crowds loved to emulate in live performances.

'It's a Hard Life' continues the harmonies and strong melodies till we get to 'Man on the Prowl' and throwaway 'Machines (Back to Humans)' with synths to the wall and Mercury as the robotic debonair capitaine. It gets unbearable with radio stalwart 'I Want to Break Free' that admittedly is infectious and clever but Mercury admits his preferences all too blatantly especially in the over produced over played videoclip. The musicianship disappears to make way for multi tracked mixing and lots of processed vocals.

'Hammer to Fall' rocks out for a while reminding us of how capable the band could play but it is all too late. This is a very outdated album and vanished in the stale onslaught of other radio friendly tripe. Not really worth the effort and not a shred of prog to be found.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#677775) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 23, 2012

3 stars The works is definitely not a bad album at all. While I love 70's Queen the most and wouldn't sit this among their best, it certainly showed that they had found thier feet for the 80's and this marked a new era for the band. Hats off to them I say, they had to somehow re-invent their sound wit ... (read more)

Report this review (#810167) | Posted by Frankie Flowers | Saturday, August 25, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 8/10 "Let's give them the works!" Queen slowly returns to its roots. And that's more than good, given the mediocrity of his two predecessors efforts. Yes, there are still a lot of synthesizers here - and they will not leave most of the band - but I can not complain about them! Indeed The W ... (read more)

Report this review (#733212) | Posted by voliveira | Thursday, April 19, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The Works ? 1984 (2.8/5) 10 ? Best Song: I Want to Break Free So now we've finally succumbed entirely to the dreaded 1980's recording and production values and are forced into recording such massive hits as 'I sucked a big dick today and recorded it on sunset strip while nikki Sixx lit my ... (read more)

Report this review (#445882) | Posted by Alitare | Wednesday, May 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Whether it's because he realised that continuing down the Hot Space route wouldn't have been too clever an idea is beyond me, but drummer Roger Taylor was heard to remark "let's give them the works!" during the formulative stages of this album. That statement, in brief, sums up everything about t ... (read more)

Report this review (#285594) | Posted by Fuselage | Tuesday, June 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A lot better than Hot Space, Queen found their way again. There are pop songs on The Works but by far superior to those on their previous album. The album starts with Radio Gaga, a Roger Taylor song, poppy and full of synths, but inspired and catchy, overall an enjoyable track. Tear It Up i ... (read more)

Report this review (#88920) | Posted by Cristi | Monday, September 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A huge step in the right direction!!!!! For this release the band decided to leave the disco and the rockabilly alone and do what they do best, hard rock and melodic balladry! At most times, the hard rock on this disc is slightly diluted (listen to something from Queen or Queen II and see what ... (read more)

Report this review (#70564) | Posted by silversaw | Sunday, February 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Not bad songs but very commercial (radio gaga)...I like only Hammer to Fall and the initial part of Tear it Up...the rest is old pop that doesn't express the musicians feelings (and that have nothing in common with prog!!!)..Listening to this album I think: "is Queen a real prog related band or it i ... (read more)

Report this review (#65643) | Posted by Kord | Friday, January 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Fabulous album. After Queen's daring (and relatively failed) atempt at disco music with Hot Space they took a year off, to gather their senses, and work on solo material. After the much needed break they took a step back, and instead of their usual routine of seeking their borders maintained w ... (read more)

Report this review (#42146) | Posted by tuxon | Monday, August 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of QUEEN "The Works"