GINGERBREAD MAN

The Residents Gingerbread Man album cover

Buy THE RESIDENTS Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. The Weaver (3:52)
2. The Dying Oilman (3:13)
3. The Confused Transsexual (3:12)
4. The Sold-Out Artist (3:47)
5. The Ascetic (4:07)
6. The Old Soldier (3:31)
7. The Aging Musician (4:51)
8. The Butcher (3:04)
9. The Old Woman (4:32)
10. Ginger's Lament (2:23)

Search THE RESIDENTS Gingerbread Man lyrics

Search THE RESIDENTS Gingerbread Man tabs

Diana Alden / vocals
Laurie Amat / vocals
Todd Rundgren / vocals
The Residents / everything else

-Released in 1994 on CD by EuroRalph
-Released in 1995 on CD by East Side Digial

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition

THE RESIDENTS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE RESIDENTS Gingerbread Man Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Not AvailableNot Available
CRYPTIC CORP 2012
LP residue of the residents ~ USD $37.10
7" santa dog ~ USD $24.69
LP third reich r'n roll ~ USD $26.68

More places to buy THE RESIDENTS music online Buy THE RESIDENTS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE RESIDENTS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE RESIDENTS Gingerbread Man ratings distribution

THE RESIDENTS Gingerbread Man reviews

Review by snobb
2 stars Almost underground cult band The Residents recorded there kind of half-spoken, minimalistic played, with some electronic loops, album. Is this music unusual, experimental? For sure. It this music progressive avant-garde? I am not sure.

Very theatrical short compositions could be a good soundtrack for some unreleased movie. (Originally album contains PC-based animation on it). I can hear some deep tradition of FZ or Captain Beefheart there. But do these short grotesque minimalistic/primitive musical pictures have separate value as musical work? Ten compositions, 35+ minutes of ... music?

"Once upon a time I played an electric guitar and they said I was a rock 'n' roll star. Now nobody calls me on the telephone, so I sit and watch my TV all alone. Maybe if I put a bullet in my brain they'll remember me like Kurt Kobain. And the parasites on MTV would wipe their eyes and act like they knew me. But I wouldn't be a hero I'd be dead. Just a corpse beside a note that read. If you like to pretend you'll never get old, you've got what it takes to rock and roll."

Hmmm, ok, let say RIO ...

I believe that RIO/avant is one of most unpredictable area of tastes, everything there could be beautiful and terrible at the same time. Watching from musical point of view , I can't find attractive sides in this album. Or, let say, watching from prog-avant point of view.

Possibly not my cup of tea, but I hardly will listen this again.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#263274) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 29, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Where the Residents' previous album, "Freak Show", was a character study of performers in a carnival freak show, set to some lush and eerily beautiful music, this one, which also has some character studies, is much more restricted.

First of all, each piece begins with the same theme, with slight variations, before it veers into the theme of the character of the song. Because of this, each song is much to similar in rhythm and tone. It makes it very difficult to differentiate between each track. Adding to this, many of the lyrics are obscured behind vocal affectaions and digital effects. Even the talents of Todd Rundgren as some of the characters doesn't help much.

I hate to say it, but The Residents actually made an album that could be described as boring.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#325759) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 18, 2010

Review by historian9
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin / JRF Team
3 stars As soon as the band started with concept and story albums, there was maybe more emphasis on lyrics and presentation which doesn't mean it's bad music but it's more of an way of delivering ideas around. As they progressed through the years I really do think now that every RESIDENTS release got more and more like an soundtrack to the actual album; I don't know if it's because internet piracy or just because the band wants to their listeners greater experience with bunch of artwork, animation, movies, God knows how much booklets with more info on lyrics and such.

This CD originally went along with animations that would describe each of the characters in the songs. Like "Freak Show" before him, "Gingerbread Man" contains one song per character; culminating in 9 characters with Gingerbread Man going in and out of songs at random as well wrapping it all up in his last song. The theme that begins "The Weaver" of The Gingerbread Man song might sound cool at first, but then it surprises you because it repeats itself for the next 9 times. The music itself is almost completely the same every track, with just a bit of variation for every character which does grab your attention because you're hearing it all the time so every change is noticeable. The format of the songs is basically the Gingerbread Man tune which follows the character in the song singing in verse, maybe a bit of interlude here and there, and the rest of the song (usually a good half of it) is the said character in spoken word, or mumbling, yelling, whatever the case may be. The album is obviously something that you listen with lyrics in your hands as the spoken word can sometimes be too hard to grasp.

Other than that, I find the album interesting and if you're ready to ignore the negative points it might interest you too. There is no actual plot going on except Gingerbread Man who just sort of observes the characters. Characters aren't freaks like on the last album but everyday humans whose inner thoughts we hear. Sometimes they might be weird or dark but on some level I can see that some might relate to them (weaver who is paranoid her child will die on the way from school, butcher jealous of his coworker etc.). I should mention that these thoughts throughout the album mostly focus on the depressing feelings and never arise from that dark space of modern life. It really isn't for everyone and should definitely be listened along with animations as intended.

Send comments to historian9 (BETA) | Report this review (#662269) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012

4 stars I am no "true" fan of progressive music, I don't intend to make a very learned review about this album or to compare it with other albums or bands of this genre. Nevertheless I wish to give my point of view about it, which is that this CD is a must in itself. Never have I heard such a thing, i ... (read more)

Report this review (#49503) | Posted by | Friday, September 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE RESIDENTS "Gingerbread Man"