20TH ANNIVERSARY MACHIAVEL : THE VERY BEST OF

Machiavel 20th Anniversary Machiavel : The very best of album cover

Buy MACHIAVEL Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1996

1. Rope dancer
2. Jester From "Jester" (1977)
3. Cheerlesness From "Machiavel" (1976)
4. Let me live my life From "Urban Games" (1979)
5. Wisdom From "Jester" (1977)
6. Over the hill From "Urban Games" (1979)
7. Mary From "Mechanical Moonbeams" (1978)
8. Summon up your strength "From Mechanical Moonbeams" (1978)
9. Beyond the silence From "Mechanical Moonbeams" (1978)
10. After the crop From "Mechanical Moonbeams" (1978)
11. Fly From "New Lines" (1980)
12. A life From "New Lines" (1980)
13. City Flowers From "Urban Games" (1979)
14. Fade Away From "New Lines" (1980)
15. Nobody knows From "Break out" (1981)

Search MACHIAVEL 20th Anniversary Machiavel : The very best of lyrics

- Roland de Greef / bass
- Albert Letecheur / keyboards
- Jean Paul Devaux / guitar
- Luc O / manager

MACHIAVEL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MACHIAVEL 20th Anniversary Machiavel : The very best of Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
JesterJester
E.M.I. Music
Break OutBreak Out
Arcad 2000
Vinyl$79.75 (used)

More places to buy MACHIAVEL music online Buy MACHIAVEL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MACHIAVEL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MACHIAVEL 20th Anniversary Machiavel : The very best of ratings distribution

MACHIAVEL 20th Anniversary Machiavel : The very best of reviews

Review by Gerinski
2 stars As usual for us proggers I do not fancy compilations, but when in the late 90's I moved to Belgium and some local guy adviced me to check out Machiavel I didn't know anything at all about this band, and when I saw this compilation album in a store I thought it might be a good starting point. Probably it was not, because later on I have learnt that their 3 first albums seem to be really good while this compilation is at most average.

This compilation was released in '96 and gathers the period from the band's debut in '76 until '81 (they would rejoin and release further albums). '76 was quite late for a prog band to start and the '80's were at the end of the corner, and indeed we see a clear shift in direction as from '79. Luckily the compilation gives dominance to the period '76 - '78 with around 45 minutes out of the total 70+, but still the total package is somehow harmed by the most modern tracks.

The tracks from '76 to '78 are not impressive but they are good enough and at times quite original, the band performs a kind of soft prog, to mention some references I would say something like early Alan Parsons, Supertramp, The Moody Blues, Ambrosia etc.

The '79 - '81 tracks have a more '80's feel, with influences such as The Police.

Not bad but far from impressive. Since this compilation failed to impress me I never went on to check their studio albums, but by the ratings in PA it can well be that the first 3 albums are worth giving a try (3 stars for the debut and 4 stars for the 2nd and 3rd albums). Something to check out some day.

Send comments to Gerinski (BETA) | Report this review (#296416) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010

Post a review of MACHIAVEL "20th Anniversary Machiavel : The very best of"