THE MAGUS

never released last album from 1974
now released on Angel Air SJPCD173

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Sean Trane for the last updates

THIRD EAR BAND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THIRD EAR BAND The Magus Music

The MagusThe Magus
ANGEL AIR 2009
LP alchemy ~ USD $23.45
CD the magus ~ USD $16.28

More places to buy THIRD EAR BAND music online Buy THIRD EAR BAND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THIRD EAR BAND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THIRD EAR BAND The Magus ratings distribution

THIRD EAR BAND The Magus reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Although this is a posthumous release , this was to be the next album after the McBeth soundtrack. But this is easily IMHO , their most accessible record and all tracks are SUNG if you can believe it (previously even vocalizing was rarely done) and this brings a whole new dimension to TEB.

This does not mean that they abandoned thei dronal medieval music feel at all , though but it did bring in that psychadelic touch that was absent since Alchemy and their past as psych band The Giant Sun Trolley and later on The Hydrogen Jukebox. Long dronal grooves allowing for plenty of soloing on wind instruments and some improvisation. Overall , this is a very even album with no weak tracks but The Key and The Phoenix as highlights. The title tracks ends in a flurry of electronics sound that would descibe their vision of the Apocalypse.

Easily their most accessible album.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#41668) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 05, 2005

Review by Finnforest
2 stars The lost 4th album

Simon House recalls his time recording with the TEB in their Basing Street studio: "Upon opening the door, my eyes, ears, and nose would be simultaneously assailed by plumes of sweet hashish smoke, entwined with tirades of Paul's oboe notes..As Ron's wicked spliff did its worst, I would join the others, take out my violin, switch on the VCS3 and start making sounds, ancient and modern with equal abandon, as we sailed off into the night exploring uncharted reaches of music..we only managed to do these few (songs) before fate would have its inexorable way and 30 years would flash by." [Simon House]

As Simon alludes to, this project stalled in the early 70s and it was decades before their proper 4th album surfaced. On this one the band has opened up the sound with more traditional sounding vocals and a wider array of instruments, including electronics. Because of this the sound occasionally veers into early Popul Vuh territory with trance music and electronic sounds. There's still plenty of droning including now in the lifeless vocals. Other parts are much more successful, some of the instrumental work quite wonderful. Listen to the lovely recorder work in "The Hierophant" or the violin on "The Key." While some point out this work is less weird and more accessible it is precisely that reason I would not choose it if you decide to sample TEB. Get "Alchemy" instead which gives you the purer and more vibrant dose of what this group was about. "The Magus" is nice for fans of the group but it is not TEB at their progressive peak. Frankly they sound a bit low on spark here if you ask me. The booklet does have a nice bio however. "Alchemy" is their finest and most important work in my opinion and perhaps a star better than I rated it. 5/10

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#171940) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars Though I never have grown as a huge fan of Third Ear Band, some charm from their earlier records had lured my thoughts enough still, making me want to skim their discography for any ancient minimalist droning or scarce beautiful sequences make me to understand their tale more deeper. With this album one is able to witness the final moments of their 1960's/1970's line-up, recorded after the "Macbeth" soundtrack, and released postponed after thirty years. Most radical changes in their sound for the earlier records heard are in my opinion heavier presence of electronics via Simon House's VCS3's, deeper emphasis for clumsy vocals of Mike Marchant and more solid rhythmic presence from the beat of Glen Sweeney's drum set, these factors locating the music more powerfully to the rock-music context from their earlier more acoustic tonal prayers. However Paul Minns' oboe sings still its recognizable joyless song, echoing with archaic power of ancient pagan history. These familiar events blended to the electronic rhythmic approach make some songs radiate slightly similar fuzzy vibrations as Hawkwind's cosmic explorations did; as for example the weird treatments of vocals on the title track are quite powerful with their surreal appearance. The singing voice is a factor which slightly disturbed my own listening experience, fitting most suitably to recital upon atavist textures of "The Phoenix". Though the album is not a huge monolith of aural revelation for me, I believe it is still a document of honest personalities, searching their own way from these notes of the underground. If the tracks were done more on guidance of tarot cards and spliff inhaling, it is not maybe surprising that the atmosphere and individual choices will be more dominant on compositions than lengthily matured, focused musical constructions. The album booklet has a quite definite history of the group and member's interviews, some of these giving strong impact for my orientation of observing this group from the human perspective, making the music appear more powerfully as rustic history documentations of these fellows' life from the flower power days than conventional music enjoyment.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#811176) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 27, 2012

3 stars THIS IS WHERE YOU COME FOR STUFF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD BEFORE (NOT NEO- PROG!) Have you ever ever heard of a movie called 'Dude, where's my moog?' ? (yes the two question marks are necessary!) No? Oh come on! Everyone's seen that one! Nup????? Oh well, I'll explain. There's a modern day neo-p ... (read more)

Report this review (#377474) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, January 10, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THIRD EAR BAND "The Magus"