BABE RUTH / STEALIN' HOME

Babe Ruth Babe Ruth / Stealin' Home album cover

Buy BABE RUTH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2000

1. Dancer (6:05)
2. Somebody's Nobody (3:10)
3. A fistful Of Dollars (2:42)
4. We People Darker Than Blue (4:48)
5. Jack O'Lantern (3:20)
6. Private Number (3:45)
7. Turquoise (3:12)
8. Sad But Rich (3:54)
9. The Duchess Of Orleans (5:03)
10. It'll Happen In Time (5:35)
11. Winner Takes All (4:01)
12. Fascination (6:07)
13. 2000 Sunsets (3:47)
14. Elusive (6:45)
15. Can You Feel It (4:19)
16. Say No More (2:41)
17. Caught At The Plate (2:57)
18. Tomorrow (5:05)

- Alan Shacklock / guitars, vocals, percussion
- Ed Spevock / drums
- Steve Gurl / keyboards
- Bernie Marsden / guitars

CD Beat Goes On 491 (2000)

and to Joolz for the last updates

BABE RUTH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BABE RUTH Babe Ruth / Stealin' Home Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Stealin HomeStealin Home
Babe RuthBabe Ruth
One Way Records Inc 1993
Amar CaballeroAmar Caballero
EMI Japan 2013
First Babe (Replica Gatefold Sleeve)First Babe (Replica Gatefold Sleeve)
101 DISTRIBUTION 2010
CD babe ruth ~ USD $15.51
LP first base ~ USD $20.17

More places to buy BABE RUTH music online Buy BABE RUTH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BABE RUTH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BABE RUTH Babe Ruth / Stealin' Home ratings distribution

BABE RUTH Babe Ruth / Stealin' Home reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars Babe Ruth / Stealin' Home is a compilation album featuring the third and the fourth albums by UK hard rock act Babe Ruth. The compilation was released in 2000. 1998 had seen the release of a compilation album First Base / Amar Caballero featuring the first two albums by the band, so the release of Babe Ruth / Stealin' Home was only natural.

Babe Ruth:

Babe Ruth is the third full-length studio album from UK ( Hatfield, Hertfordshire) rock act Babe Ruth. I was really impressed with the debut from Babe Ruth called First Base (1972) while my response to their second album Amar Caballero (1973) werenīt quite as enthusiastic even though that album was pretty good too. For me Babe Ruth is a return to form for the band and a really good album. There are a couple of flaws that keeps it from being really excellent though.

The style of music Babe Ruth plays is hard rock with a few jazz, latin and progressive rock elements. Their style reminds me a bit of a mix between Wishbone Ash ( Thereīs a Rub), early Thin Lizzy and early Rush ( the debut album and especially the way that Jenny Haan and Geddy Lee sings) with a few added progressive moments.

The album starts out very well with Dancer and Somebodyīs Nobody. Two powerful rock tracks where Jenny Haanīs powerful and distinct voice really shines and we get to hear some really great hard rock riffing. The third track called A Fistful Of Dollars is an instrumental song with a western theme. Pretty good that one. We People Darker Than Blue is a mid paced song where Jenny Haan shows that she can also sing a bit more softy ( well not to soft). Lots of good moments in that song. Jack-O-Lantern is another fast rocker and a great track. Private Number is my least favorite on the album and kind of a sleazy commercial song IMO. Turquoise is the most latin influenced song on the album with itīs Spanish guitar. Not a favorite either but a good song. The two last songs on the album Sad But Rich and The Duchess of Orleans are good songs as well without showing quite the same power as the first couple of songs on the album.

The musicianship is excellent. Great interplay and sharp hard rock riffing. Jenny Haan needs a special mention. A real rock mama with attitude. I really like her vocal style. Very powerful.

The production is excellent and brings out the power in the music well.

Babe Ruth is an album that shows both the great sides and the more trivial sides of Babe Ruth. I think itīs a bit of a disappointment that they couldnīt keep the momentum from the first five songs on the whole album because I would have rated the album 4 stars if it had been so. As the second part of the album isnīt as exciting I can only give a 3 star rating. Itīs still a good album and recommendable to hard rock fans though.

Stealinī Home:

Stealinī Home is the fourth full-length studio album by UK hard rock act Babe Ruth. Main composer and guitarist Alan Shacklock left the band after the third self-titled album and I was really worried how Stealinī Home would sound without his contributions.

As it turns out Stealinī Home isnīt that far in sound from its predecessor. Babe Ruth is basically a rock/ hard rock act in the vein of Wishbone Ash ( without the twin guitar attack). A kind of soft hard rock album. The vocals by Jenny Haan sound like a female Geedy Lee ( Rush). She is a very skilled singer with a great rock mama attitude IMO. The only element on this album that links the music to progressive rock is the inclusion of keyboards/ synths on some songs which gives the music a slightly progressive touch, best examplified on the opening track Itīll Happen In Time. I enjoy most of the album but I especially enjoy the songs that emphasise the harder rock side of the bandīs sound. When they slow things down my fascination drops. A song like Can You Fell It with its regaae rythm is close to a disaster.

The production is enjoyable, warm and pleasant.

While I enjoy most of the album there are parts that doesnīt do anything for me and a 2.5 - 3 star rating is warranted. I would listen to any of the three first studio albums before this one.

Conclusion:

While I find both albums enjoyable itīs definitely Babe Ruth that I find is the album of most value here. Stealinī Home is more of an additional bonus IMO. A 3 star rating is warranted. The idea to release both albums on a single CD is of course great for those of us who havenīt got the original vinyl albums.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#240960) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Post a review of BABE RUTH "Babe Ruth / Stealin' Home"