THE BREATHING SHADOW

Nightingale

Nightingale The Breathing Shadow album cover

Buy NIGHTINGALE Music
Studio Album, released in 1995

1. Nightfall Overture (8:10)
2. Sleep... (4:40)
3. The Dreamreader (5:24)
4. Higher Than the Sky (6:15)
5. Recovery Opus (2:15)
6. The Return to Dreamland (3:04)
7. Gypsy Eyes (3:38)
8. Alone? (6:37)
9. A Lesson in Evil (5:53)
10. Eye for an Eye (7:22)

Search NIGHTINGALE The Breathing Shadow lyrics

Search NIGHTINGALE The Breathing Shadow tabs

- Dan Swanö / all instruments, vocals

CD Black Mark #66 (1995)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

NIGHTINGALE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NIGHTINGALE The Breathing Shadow Music

Light DanceLight Dance
Jay Records 1999
Various OST(Vinyl LP)Nightingale-TER-TER 1031-UK-Ex-/Ex US $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
AMELITA GALLIOURCI Russian Nightingale Song / Clavelitos / Estrellita HMV DA1095 US $20.85 Buy It Now 1h 11m
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE HOW FAR AM I FROM NEW YORK CITY-MAY THE BEST MAN WIN ON PRIDE US $7.00 [0 bids]
Bert Kaempfert. US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h
Alma Gluck Victrola 64566 - "Nightingale Song" US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
45 RPM Ollie Nightingale Standing on Your Promise US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
C6-84 Vinyl Record Album SEALED Maxine Nightingale Right Back Where We Started! US $29.95 Buy It Now 3h 12m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE love hit me UP 36215 near mint disc uk 7" WS EX/ US $11.22 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Kristuit Salu Vs. Morris Nightingale - My Mines I [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 4h 26m
GLENN MILLER (2) LP Sunrise Serenade 1972 {RCA} MINT Nightingale~Juke Box~Paga US $14.95 Buy It Now 5h 15m
MUSICAL MASTERPIECE Victor HANDEL 78-Speed CUCKOO & NIGHTINGALE Box Set M733 !!! US $9.95 [0 bids]
CAROLE KING nightingale 7" promo b/w you're something new (ods66106) uk ode 1974 US $9.28 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Ollie Nightingale May The Best Man Win DEEP SOUL 45 US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Ollie Nightingale: Standing On Your Promise / It's A Sad Thing 45 - Soul US $4.00 Buy It Now 6h 13m
JVC XRCD 24 PROKOFIEFF LIEUTENANT KIJE STRAVINSKY SONG OF THE NIGHTINGALE US $20.00 [0 bids]
The Everly Brothers 45 "On The Wings Of A Nightingale" US $3.49 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Maxine Nightingale 45 "(Bringing Out) The Girl In Me" w/Picture Sleeve US $3.49 Buy It Now 7h 21m
The German Nightingale 0636943272220, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $15.86 Buy It Now 7h 40m
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - THE BEST OF OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - NEW CD US $13.40 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Maxine Nightingale Right back where we started/Believe in what 7" vinyl United US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 20m
Oddball Motivational THINK AND GROW RICH Earl Nightingale Decorative Cover LP US $3.25 [0 bids]
Everly Brothers NM 45 rpm "On The Wings Of A Nightingale" US $2.00 Buy It Now 9h 57m
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE STANDING ON YOUR PROMISE /IT'S A SAD THING 45 MEMPHIS US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h
Ollie Nightingale - Make It Sweet [CD New] US $15.45 Buy It Now 12h 36m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE " GOTTA BE THE ONE " 45 1970s POP US $3.08 Buy It Now 12h 43m
Stereo MCs Emperor's Nightingale CD (2011) "Boy" Feat Jamie Cullum LIKE NEW/MC's US $19.24 Buy It Now 13h 26m
Gilberto Gil NIGHTINGALE Elektra 6E-167 Near Mint- US $9.95 Buy It Now 14h 54m
# TRAMPS & HAWKERS The Nightingale CD excell condition US $3.99 Buy It Now 14h 59m
Caterina Valente - The Hi-fi Nightingale NEW CD US $14.50 Buy It Now 17h 45m
Bogna Skorska - The Warsaw Nightingale US $9.00 Buy It Now 18h 11m
Gilberto Gil - Nightingale CD US $14.49 Buy It Now 20h 2m
Lyrian - Nightingale Hall CD Pop Rock US $17.45 Buy It Now 20h 10m
V. Bellini - I Puritani CD NIGHTINGALE US $36.21 Buy It Now 20h 11m
Maxine Nightingale Love me like you mean it/Lead me on 7" vinyl Windsong US $3.99 Buy It Now 21h 49m
ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING - NIGHTINGALE - CDJAY1327 US $18.85 Buy It Now 21h 56m
Edison Record 50991, 8463/8464. Hawaian Nightingale/Flower of Hawaii. Palakik US $1.99 Buy It Now 22h 40m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Love Hit Me 7" Vinyl US $1.61 Buy It Now 1 day
Erna Sack(Vinyl LP)The German Nightingale-Telefunken-GMA 86-UK-VG/NM US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Love Hit Me UK 7" 45 US $3.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Don McCaffferty//whatha gonna'bout it//nightingale///1975/EX//Nazareth US $3.19 Buy It Now 1 day
The Best of Ollie Nightingale by Ollie Nightingale (CD, 1999, Ecko Records) US $10.44 Buy It Now 1 day
78rpm library music DOLF VAN DER LINDEN the nightingale / the fountain PR 538 US $44.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Bayrakdarian,I. - Troubadour & The Nightingale [CD New] US $18.01 Buy It Now 1 day
Outsinging The Nightingale-Lost Treasure [CD New] US $22.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale Right Back Where We Started From 1976 Stereo LP VG++ US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Vintage Song of the Nightingale Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra 78 RPM set BRK US $7.99 [0 bids]
CAROLE KING, NIGHTINGALE / YOU'RE SOMETHING NEW. RARE 1974 ODE PROMO SINGLE US $1.59 [0 bids]
I.BEZRODNY/KONDRASHIN:Oscar Wald"Nightingale and rose(Fairy tale)"MELODIYA LP US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NIGHTINGALE - I [NIGHTINGALE] - NEW CD US $16.09 Buy It Now 1 day
POP ROCK/ The Everly Brothers - On The Wing Of A Nightingale (Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SLPM 138 006 Stravinsky The Firebird The Nightingale Lorin Maazel 1960s EX/EX US $20.07 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Lead Me On WINDSONG NM- US $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Troubadour & the Nightingale (CD, Nov-2013, MCO Records (Classical)) US $15.08 Buy It Now 1 day
Handel: Water Music; Organ Concertos HWV 295 "The Cuckoo and the Nightingale"... US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
45 RECORD MAXINE NIGHTINGALE- LEAD ME ON US $0.99 [0 bids]
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE 45 RPM Promotional Record "Turn To Me" VG++ condition US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Luke Bedford: Wonderful Two-Headed Nightingale (CD, Jul-2012, Col Legno) US $13.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Bellini Portraits (CD, Jul-2012, Nightingale Classics) US $11.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Lied - Duette (CD, Apr-1996, Nightingale Classics) US $10.50 Buy It Now 1 day
GILBERTO GIL - NIGHTINGALE [GILBERTO GIL] [090431659625] - NEW CD US $10.90 Buy It Now 1 day
ELLY AMELING**DUTCH NIGHTINGALE**8 CD SET US $46.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Don Cossack Chorus-Nightingale/Tachanka, RCA Victor 11825, 12 Inch 78 RPM Record US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Soul NM! 45 OLLIE NIGHTINGALE A Good Woman At Home (Is Better Than Two In The St US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
STRAVINSKY Firebird Song of the Nightingale Maazel Vinyl LP HELIODOR 2548 145 US $20.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Soul NM! 45 OLLIE NIGHTINGALE Here I Am Again on Pride US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BUCK RYAN FOLLOW THE FIDDLE NIGHTINGALE WALTZ 7" 45 RPM RARE US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ollie Nightingale - Vol. 2-At His Best [CD New] US $10.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Dee Felice Trio - Nightingale 7": Jazzman Records US $1.59 [1 bids]
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE (bringing out) the girl in me 12" VG+ CD 11730 Vinyl 1979 US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GILBERTO GIL: Nightingale (latin vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CATERINA VALENTE the hi-fi nightingale LP deep groove DECCA mono Superb VG++ US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
GILBERTO GIL LP "NIGHTINGALE"WHITE LABEL PROMO COPY CUSTOM INNER SLEEVE XCELLENT US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - MAKE IT SWEET NEW CD US $21.06 Buy It Now 1 day
OUTSINGING THE NIGHTINGALE: LOST TREASURES / VAR NEW CD US $36.21 Buy It Now 1 day
I. BAYRAKDARIAN - TROUBADOUR & THE NIGHTINGALE NEW CD US $26.11 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE LEAD ME ON NM 45RPM SLSR 157 ACL US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STRSVINSKY PULCINELLA SUITE NIGHTINGALE KEGEL JAPAN 32TC 74 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Nightingale [Original London Cast] by Original Cast (CD, Aug-1999, Jay Records) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Mindfulness Meditation Jon Kabat Zinn Nightingale Conant CD US $15.45 Buy It Now 1 day
Stravinsky / Ansermet / Pulcinella Suite/Song Of The Nightingale/Fire Bird LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Napoleon Hill THINK AND GROW RICH Narrated By Earl Nightingale LP 1960 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Dorati STRAVINSKY Song of Nightingale LP Mercury SR90387 Living Pres DJ EX RFR1 US $150.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Stravinsky: Petrouchka / Song of the Nightingale, , Acceptable US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale 45 "Lead Me On/Love Me Like You... US $3.49 Buy It Now 1 day
ANSERMET; STRAVINSKY" PULCINELLA" "SONG OF THE NIGHTINGALE;" LONDON STS STEREO US $10.00 [0 bids]
1M NIGHTINGALE 1027 CONTINENTAL TRIO DANUBE WAVES WALTZ IVANOVICI DOLORES US $39.99 [0 bids]
1M NIGHTINGALE 1007 LATIN I TRE MESSINESI NOVELLA DAMORE MELUZIO NEL PROFONDO US $39.99 [0 bids]
1M NIGHTINGALE 1003 J LUPPINO & A ALONGI POLKA GALANTE SCOTTIS ALLA PAESANA US $39.99 [0 bids]
1M NIGHTINGALE 1093 QUINTETTO COLONIALE GIOVANNI VICARI DEL CUORE CAMPESTRE US $39.99 [0 bids]
1M NIGHTINGALE 1037 LATIN CONTINENTAL TRIO IL PORTAVOCE VALTZER ELVIRA SILVESTRI US $39.99 [0 bids]
1M NIGHTINGALE 1058 CONTINENTAL TRIO TERSORO MIO MY TREASURE MAZURKA DE BIMBA US $39.99 [0 bids]
1M NIGHTINGALE 1069 M GRAMUGLIA M ARIS TARANTELLA DI BAGNARA RIGITANA US $39.99 [0 bids]
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE, Right Back Where We Started From(#2-Mar-Apr '76)-Will You Be US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Dick Contino 78 Adios / Nightingale Mercury Records 70536 US $14.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MILIZA KORJUS (Soprano) "The Nightingale"/"Laughing Song" 78rpm 12" 1947 EB374 US $8.71 Buy It Now 1 day
JUDY COLLINS, AMAZING GRACE / NIGHTINGALE 1, 7"x45rpm SINGLE RECORD US $4.39 Buy It Now 1 day
EVERLY BROTHERS PAUL McCARTNEY on the wings of a nightingale TEST PRESSING 12" US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Right Back Where We Started From WLP PROMO 45 COPY NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Right Back Where We Started WLP PROMO COPY 45 STEREO/MONO NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nat King Cole - Nightingale Sang (Tribute to [DVD]/Live Recording/+DVD, 2003) US $3.21 [0 bids]

More places to buy NIGHTINGALE music online Buy NIGHTINGALE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NIGHTINGALE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NIGHTINGALE The Breathing Shadow ratings distribution

NIGHTINGALE The Breathing Shadow reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "The Breathing Shadow" is the debut full-length studio album by Swedish goth/progressive rock/metal act Nightingale. The album was released through Black Mark Productions in 1995. Nightingale was at this point a one-man side project for Edge of Sanity frontman Dan Swanö, where he could live out his goth and neo progressive rock dreams. An interest that had been hinted at a couple of times on Edge of Sanity´s otherwise death metal oriented albums with tracks like "Sacrificed" and "Black Tears". "The Breathing Shadow" was recorded and mixed by Dan Swanö at his own Unisound Studio within a week in January 1995.

Later releases by Nightingale also embrace hard rock and AOR, but the music on "The Breathing Shadow" can be described as a combination of goth rock and neo progressive rock with a slight metal edge. Picture how a combination of The Sisters of Mercy and The Mission mixed with Marillion and IQ would sound like and you´re half way there.

The music is driven by very melodic guitar riffs, soaring guitar leads and Dan Swanö´s melodic vocals. Keyboards are also used extensively and for the most part feature eighties synth sounds (check out the synth bass in "Gypsy Eyes"). The goth rock element in the sound is mainly due to the low register vocal sections by Dan Swanö and the programmed drums that remind me of The Sisters of Mercy. The material on "The Breathing Shadow" is generally of high quality but highlights that deserve a mention are "Nightfall Overture", "Sleep...", "The Dreamreader" and "A Lesson in Evil". The lyrics form a concept story that is continued on subsequent albums.

The musicianship on the album is strong. Dan Swanö is a multi-instrumentalist and plays everything but the drums. The drums are programmed and if you ask me they could have been a bit more varied. It´s a minor issue though and they don´t ruin my listening experience. Dan Swanö´s vocals need a mention too. He masters both very melodic clean vocals and also more monotone goth rock styled low register vocals. The vocal lines are very melodic and hook laden.

The sound production is decent but it´s obvious that Dan Swanö didn´t have much time to fine tune the sound. It´s a sound production that has taken me a while to appreciate, but I guess you can forgive much when the music is good.

To my ears "The Breathing Shadow" is a pretty original sounding album with it´s mix of goth rock and neo progressive rock, but it´s the strong vocals and the memorable vocal lines that take the prize. The sound production is a slight show stopper but I´d say a 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#164820) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 24, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars What if, back in 1989, Marillion had not hired Hogarth but would have chosen Andrew Eldritch from Sisters Of Mercy as the replacement for Fish? I think the prog community would still not have fully recovered from the shock and the goth fans would still get shivers down their spine from the disbelief that Eldritch switched over from the coolest band on the planet to that cheesy prog-pop band. Just imagine tasteful medleys like "Alice, I just wanna say I'm sorry!"

Now, that could have been fun!

And I would have been in the clouds! Believe it or not, but around 1989 I had two favourite bands: I was fading out my years of Marillion adoration and fading in my Sisters phase. You could say that I went from sparkling rainbows, magpies and jolly jesters to pitch black nihilism over the course of a few months.

At least one other person on the face of the planet must have had a similar dream: Dan Swanö, the brain behind the progressive death metal phenomena Edge Of Sanity (and around 20 other bands). He made his dream come true in 1995 on the debut of his Nightingale project where he combined his love for Marillion with the stark red-on-black decadence of the Sisters. He only uses his powerful clean lower register here in a strong set of catchy rock songs that celebrate both goth-rock and at the same time neo-prog.

As you see from the number of ratings, 99% of the PA community is certainly not losing their sleep over the same dream. In fact, people are probably quite relieved that this nightmare never turned into a trend. However, for the few lovers of goth that got stranded on these pages here, this is an absolute must.

4 Black Planets!

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#252811) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009

4 stars I was inspired to get this album because of Bonnek and UMUR's reviews. This is basically a Dan Swano solo album where he's the only musician, and of course he's also the singer as well. The Gothic flavour that has been mentioned is what made this attractive to me.This is very much a straight forward Rock album with a Gothic flavour. Check out the lyrics, album cover and those vocals at times to see what I mean. Dan mentions MARILLION first when he lists the bands and people who have inspired him. He also mentions just about everybody by name in MARILLION. It is an eclectic list though with GENTLE GIANT, THE MISSION, JUDAS PRIEST, SLOWDRIVE, FM, DREAM THEATER, GENESIS, John Wetton and many others being mentioned. For me the band LAKE OF TEARS comes closest to what i'm hearing here, only this is better. This was love at first listen i'll tell you that.The melodic guitars and warm baritone vocals make this a real treat. Not what i'd call meat and potatoes by any means, more like dessert that is fun to have once in a while.

"Nightfall Overture" opens with a dark atmosphere before guitar and drums kick in quickly. Great sound. Vocals after a minute. I really like the sound of the guitar. Keys before 3 1/2 minutes. A calm after 4 1/2 minutes as almost spoken words come in. It kicks back in around 6 1/2 minutes. "Sleep..." opens with vocals and a beat. It's much better when the guitar comes in grinding away. Catchy stuff. A second guitar comes in after 3 1/2 minutes. Drums and vocals are the focus early on "The Dreamreader" until the guitar takes over before a minute. Contrasts continue. Good song. Piano only before 3 1/2 minutes, guitar follows then vocals. The guitar sounds outstanding a minute later. "Higher Than The Sky" kicks in quickly. Vocals around a minute. A calm with atmosphere before 3 1/2 minutes, it kicks back in before 5 1/2 minutes. The vocals are gothic here at times.

"Recovery Opus" is a short laid back tune with reserved vocals and relaxed guitar. "The Return To Dreamland" is the only instrumental on here. It sounds relaxed yet full with guitar and drums leading. It picks up before 2 minutes. A little heavier around 2 1/2 minutes. "Gypsy Eyes" contrasts well the vocal parts with the guitar led sections. "Alone ?" opens with laid back guitar as deep almost spoken vocals join in. It kicks in before 4 minutes with the heaviest passage on the album. Nice. Spoken words late with keyboards. "A Lesson In Evil" is uptempo with lots of guitar and vocals. Piano only after 3 minutes before guitar then vocals join in again. Spoken words and static ends it. "Eye For An Eye" opens with mournful guitar solos before it kicks in with vocals around a minute. It's more aggressive after 3 minutes then it settles. A scream ends it.

This album has plenty of faults but it's just so darn charming. More dessert please.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#261672) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Nightingale's The Breathing Shadow is a gothic rock narrative concept album underpinned by technical metal and progressive rock songwriting and production aesthetics. I personally prefer this one to the sequel, on which Dan Swan' slips back into his more accustomed tech/prog metal style and consequently the unique flavour of the project ended up somewhat diluted; here, he lets his multi-insturmentalist flag fly high and masquerades as the sort of progressive gothic rock band I kind of wish we had more of on the scene. Of interest both to prog fans who like a little goth and goth fans with fond memories of that genre's more progressive moments (like Elizium by Fields of the Nephilim).

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#978545) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 15, 2013

3 stars I rarely get an album if it only gets mediocre reviews, but I'm glad I have this one. It's enjoyable, but not very demanding at all. The Breathing Shadow is simple, catchy and has an interesting theme and atmosphere. All the tracks are solid. It is far from a masterpiece, but it is well deserving ... (read more)

Report this review (#141613) | Posted by BobFrank | Tuesday, October 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars "The Breathing Shadows" is the first Nightingale album - which was written and recorded only in one week time - but it can be considered as a Dan Swano soloalbum, because at that time he was the only member in the band. He played all the instruments on this album, but unfortunately Dan decided t ... (read more)

Report this review (#45255) | Posted by riversdancing | Friday, September 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NIGHTINGALE "The Breathing Shadow"