NIGHTFALL OVERTURE

10. Better Safe Than Sorry

Search NIGHTINGALE Nightfall Overture lyrics

Search NIGHTINGALE Nightfall Overture tabs

CD Black Mark Productions

NIGHTINGALE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NIGHTINGALE Nightfall Overture Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
RetributionRetribution
Imports 2014
Light DanceLight Dance
Jay Records 1999

More places to buy NIGHTINGALE music online Buy NIGHTINGALE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NIGHTINGALE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NIGHTINGALE Nightfall Overture ratings distribution

NIGHTINGALE Nightfall Overture reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars Nightfall Overture is a best of/ compilation of songs from the first four studio albums from Swedish progressive rock/ metal act Nightingale ( The Breathing Shadow (1995), The Closing Chronicles (1996), I (2000) and Alive Again: the Breathing Shadow part IV (2003)). Nightfall Overture is not your average best of collection though as all songs have been re-recorded for the occasion and in addition to the songs from the first four studio albums there´s also a re-recorded version of Losing Myself ( an Edge of Sanity song from the 1997 Infernal album) and a new song called Better Safe Than Sorry. Each of the four studio albums are represented by two songs which means that there are a total of ten songs on Nightfall Overture.

The music is melodic progressive rock/ soft metal with an occasional hard rock drive but also with some neo progressive elements. Nightingale have always had their own sound IMO. Dan Swanö´s vocals have always been the center of Nightingale´s sound and he really gets to showcase his more mature vocal range on these re-recordings. The biggest asset on Nightfall Overture is that we get to hear some of the older songs in new versions ( Especially the two songs from The Breathing Shadow which had programmed drums in their original form). The song selection is pretty good even though I wouldn´t have chosen I Return and Alonely from the I (2000) album. But I guess they represent the more mellow/ ballad type songs from Nightingale. Glory Days from Alive Again: the Breathing Shadow part IV (2003) is one of my favorites from the band so I´m happy it´s been included here. The Edge of Sanity cover is pretty good while I´m not too happy about the new song Better Safe Than Sorry which has some pathetic/ broken romance relationship lyrics that ruins that song for me.

The musicianship is excellent and I´m actually really impressed with Dan Swanö´s performance here.

The production is good but it´s an aquired taste if you like this sound better than the sound on the original albums. Personally I prefer the original productions even though some of them are questionable at best.

Nightfall Overture is a great best of/ compilation album that´s actually worth purchasing and I´m seriously considering giving the album 4 stars. There are a few weaker moments that drag the album down just enough for me only to give it 3 stars though. If you´re new to Nightingale this could be a great place to start, but for us old fans who enjoy the original albums as they are this is more of a must have fan item.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#195211) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 27, 2008

Post a review of NIGHTINGALE "Nightfall Overture"