THE SPORT OF KINGS

Triumph

Triumph The Sport of Kings album cover

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

1. Tears in the Rain (3:55)
2. Somebody's Out There (4:04)
3. What Rules My Heart (3:52)
4. If Only (4:00)
5. Hooked on You (3:22)
6. Take a Stand (4:33)
7. Just One Night (3:40)
8. Embrujo (1:29)
9. Play With the Fire (5:18)
10. Don't Love Anybody Else But Me (3:55)
11. In the Middle of the Night (4:34)

Total Time: (42:41)

- Lou Pomanti / keys
- Johnny Rutledge / vocals

1986: Triumph/ TRC
2005: CD TRC #78009

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings Music

Sport of KingsSport of Kings
Remastered
Tml Entertainment 2005
LP TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS **SHRINKWRAP** USD $15.99 Buy It Now 5h 11m
TRIUMPH Sport Of Kings LP 11 Track With Inner Seam Split On The Top Edge Of The USD $10.87 Buy It Now 10h 51m
TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings CD 1986 MEGA RARE OOP ORIG 1st PRESS JAPAN-for-USA!!! USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS MASTERDISK MASTER LP RECORD VG+ PROMO USD $10.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph Sport Of Kings Japan For US JVC-540 Original CD RARE!!! OOP USD $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
TRIUMPH LP "The Sport Of Kings" vg++ USD $11.95 Buy It Now 2 days
TRIUMPH "THE SPORT OF KINGS (REMASTERED)" CD NEW+ USD $20.49 Buy It Now 3 days
TRIUMPH SPORT OF KINGS CD 11 TRACK REMASTERED EU USD $11.84 Buy It Now 3 days
Sport Of Kings - Triumph USD $7.59 Buy It Now 3 days
Cassette Triumph - The Sport Of Kings 1986 MCA Records MCAC - 5786 USD $0.39 [0 bids]
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings - Terrific NM LP USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
TRIUMPH LP The Sport of Kings 1986 Rik Emmett ps Tears In The Rain Take A Stand USD $9.97 Buy It Now 4 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings /VG++ USD $6.95 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH Tape Cassette THE SPORTS OF KINGS 1986 Mca Records Canada MCAC-5786 USD $7.24 Buy It Now 4 days
Triumph / The Sport Of Kings / VG++ MCA-5786 / Mike Clink, Rik Emmett, M Levine USD $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days
PROMO TRIUMPH SOMEBODY'S OUT THERE 12" SINGLE LP 1986 MCA SPORT OF KINGS USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
TRIUMPH "THE SPORT OF KINGS" LP USD $6.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings Japan CD Rush Iron Maiden Saxon Helix Allied Forces USD $20.90 Buy It Now 6 days
Triumph: The Sport Of Kings Cassette NM Canada MCA CAC-5786 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 6 days
HARD ROCK/ Triumph - The Sport Of Kings (LP) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings - Cassette 1986 USD $1.59 Buy It Now 6 days
Triumph - The Sport of Kings PROMO Vinyl LP - MCA-5786 - Masterdisk - EX USD $9.95 Buy It Now 7 days
TRIUMPH LP THE SPORT OF KINGS MCA 5786 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 8 days
TRIUMPH - The Sport of Kings VG+/EX 1986 HARD ROCK w/ Inner Sleeve USD $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Triumph - 'The Sport Of Kings' Vinyl LP [Includes Inner Lyric Sleeve] USD $14.73 Buy It Now 8 days
Triumph CD lot Never Surrender Stages In Concert Classics Sport of Kings More USD $45.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings - Vinyl LP Record Album USD $3.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Triumph The Sport of Kings LP Japan Promo NEW Vinyl+Ins '86 Rik Emmett Hard Rock USD $39.00 Buy It Now 10 days
NM 1986 Triumph / The Sport of Kings LP . insert USD $5.50 Buy It Now 10 days
Triumph The Sport Of Kings MCA 5786 Import Lp Record (Grade To Follow) USD $29.61 Buy It Now 11 days
Triumph / The Sport Of Kings-1986-Cassette Tape USD $4.49 Buy It Now 11 days
Rik Emmett RARE Signed Triumph The Sport Of Kings Vinyl Lp Record + Candid Photo USD $124.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Triumph - Sport Of Kings CD TML ENT. USD $13.29 Buy It Now 12 days
TRIUMPH - The Sport Of Kings - 1987 Magazine Advertisment Poster USD $6.66 Buy It Now 12 days
Triumph - The Sport of Kings - Promo stamped on jacket - LP USD $8.99 Buy It Now 12 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings LP USD $7.64 Buy It Now 12 days
TRIUMPH - THE SPORT OF KINGS [REMASTER] - NEW CD USD $11.09 Buy It Now 13 days
TRIUMPH Sport Of Kings LP EX+ UK 1st Press //1 1986 MCA w/ Inner Sleeve USD $11.83 Buy It Now 14 days
Triumph ?- The Sport Of Kings LP Vinyl MCA5786 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 15 days
TRIUMPH "The Sports Of Kings" CD 1986 MCA USA 1st Press MCAD-5786 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 15 days
TRIUMPH ~ The Sport Of Kings ~ nm 12" vinyl LP with the original inner sleeve USD $4.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Triumph/The Sport of Kings/Cassette/Canada/VG++ HEAR USD $2.68 Buy It Now 16 days
triumph the sport of kings lp USD $3.49 Buy It Now 16 days
TRIUMPH: The Sport Of Kings (rock & pop vinyl LP) USD $12.00 Buy It Now 17 days
TRIUMPH**THE SPORT OF KINGS (REMASTERED)**CD USD $7.95 Buy It Now 17 days
TRIUMPH SPORT OF KINGS 1986 LP MCA 5786 USD $3.98 Buy It Now 18 days
TRIUMPH-THE SPORT OF KINGS-MCA 5786 VG+/VG+ LP USD $7.48 Buy It Now 18 days
5383 Triumph The Sport Of Kings Ex Con USD $7.39 Buy It Now 18 days
Triumph : "The Sport of Kings". 1986 MCA Record w/inner sleeves. Record is NM. USD $6.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Triumph The Sport Of Kings W/Hype Sticker In Shrinkwrap LP USD $6.50 Buy It Now 19 days
TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS PROMO LP ALBUM USD $7.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Triumph - Sport Of Kings SEALED USD $8.87 Buy It Now 20 days
? Triumph - The Sport of Kings (MCA) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 20 days
TRIUMPH-THE SPORT OF KINGS 1986 LP + INNER USD $5.91 Buy It Now 21 days
Triumph / The Sport of Kings JAPAN PSCW-5331 *O USD $34.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Triumph The Sport of Kings LP EX/EX Lyrics 1986 MCA-5786 USD $5.98 Buy It Now 22 days
TRIUMPH " THE SPORT OF KINGS " CASSETTE USD $1.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Triumph Cassette Tape The Sport Of Kings USD $3.99 Buy It Now 23 days
TRIUMPH Sport of kings CD 1986 MCA USA Press AOR w Somebody's Out There s1963 USD $19.96 Buy It Now 24 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings LP 1986 MCA 5786 Lyric Liner USD $4.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Triumph-The Sports of Kings-MCA 1986--Rik Emmett-Gil Moore-Album-Vinyl-LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Triumph The Sport Of Kings Cd MCA 1986 Very Good!!* USD $10.49 Buy It Now 25 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings (Cassette) MCA 1986 Hard Rock USD $1.99 Buy It Now 25 days
TRIUMPH-The Sport Of Kings-RIK EMMETT-Toronto CANADA USD $5.49 Buy It Now 25 days
triumph the sport of kings lp rock metal levine emmett moore EX 12" 1986 guitar USD $8.99 Buy It Now 25 days
3 Record Albums TRIUMPH Allied Forces Just a Game The Sport of Kings USD $12.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Triumph - The Sport of Kings Japan cd 1986 MCA Rik Emmett Strung-Out Troubadours USD $24.90 Buy It Now 26 days
TRIUMPH SPORT OF KINGS VINYL ALBUM. USD $7.99 Buy It Now 27 days
The Sport Of Kings - Triumph (Cassette 1987) in NM USD $6.49 Buy It Now 27 days
SPORT OF KINGS BY TRIUMPH (CD) USD $16.05 Buy It Now 28 days
TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS CASSETTE TAPE 1986 BLUE PAPER LABEL MCA UK USD $13.31 Buy It Now 28 days
Triumph The Sport of Kings LP NM Vinyl "Merchandice Insert" USD $8.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Triumph CASSETTE NEW The Sport Of Kings USD $25.00 Buy It Now 28 days
TRIUMPH - The Sport of Kings 1986 LP insert EX USD $11.95 Buy It Now 28 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings UK LP + inner 1986 ex+/ex+ USD $11.83 Buy It Now 29 days
The Sport of Kings by Triumph (CD) USD $12.98 Buy It Now 29 days
Triumph "Sport Of Kings" USD $7.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Lot of 2 Triumph Cassettes: Allied Forces (1981) & The Sport of KIngs (1986) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 29 days
0 result found for "TRIUMPH"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(18%)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings reviews

Review by Sinusoid
1 stars I didn't really know that much about Triumph when I found this album in my uncle's vinyl collection. I had maybe heard one or two songs on the radio but dismissed them as just another rock band that kind of sounds like early Rush. That sound was what I was expecting when I put the needle down on THE SPORT OF KINGS; needless to say, the album didn't have that sound, but the sound I did hear wasn't pleasing to my ears.

I could give a track by track explanation into the fabric of the album, but what would be the point? Think of the most stereotypical 80's pop-rock album complete with sappy love lyrics, AOR power guitars and poppy synths, and that pretty much takes care of the ten tracks beyond the three minute mark. I am more reminded of Steve Perry's Journey rather than early Rush, but I honestly don't have much affinity for the former band.

The only track I can really stomach is the short, guitar piece ''Embrujo''; it's sort of a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the album. It's not a great guitar thing, especially when I've heard a few other guitar pieces like the ones from Tony Iommi.

On the whole, the album is drab to my ears. Progressive rock contents are extremely minimal if not completely absent. Only proggers with a sweet tooth for AOR-pop stuff should be interested in this album.

Review by Chicapah
1 stars Call me a glutton for aural punishment but I assure you that I'm not a masochist. I've found that in Progland there are not only glorious peaks to admire but shadowy valleys and a lot of in-between plateaus to navigate and explore so, as a reviewer, I must honestly rate the product manufactured by its inhabitants accordingly. A few years back an assortment of albums by Triumph came into my possession and I finally got around to giving the group a listen in hopes of discovering some savory prog rock to chew on. Unfortunately I'm finding that instead of steak and lobster I'm being presented with unseasoned cauliflower and beets. I started with their '81 release, "Allied Forces," and by the final cut I thought it should've been called "Let's do what those other guys are doing" instead because rarely have I heard anything so imitative and mimicking in my life. However, being the forgiving sort that's ever willing to give artists another chance to redeem themselves (even the best lay a rotten egg from time to time) I gave their "Sport of Kings" from '86 an unbiased spin. The good news is that it's not quite as despicable as the aforementioned turd. The bad news is that the improvement is negligible.

They open with "Tears in the Rain," a pop rock song indistinguishable from the lame offerings of a thousand other groups that swarmed like flies on a week-old wildebeest carcass in the mid 80s. Think Jefferson Starship mating with Toto and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this track sounds like especially since drummer Gil Moore could've been the shrill vocalist Mickey Thomas' stand-in. "Somebody's Out There" is next and it would've fit into the soundtracks for "Footloose" or "Flashdance" perfectly. It's slick as a quart of Quaker State, formulaic to the nth degree and contains incredibly vapid lyrics that were probably jotted down on a coffee-stained Denny's napkin at the eleventh hour. Scorpions come to mind on "What Rules My Heart" and I don't mean that to be a compliment. This is a prime example of faux metal and it's so blatantly derivative as to be a disgrace. My guess is the answer to the tune's title is "an insatiable yearning for a Top 40 hit single." "If Only" follows and to that I'd add in parentheses "we had an atom of originality." I'll concede that singer/guitarist Rik Emmett owns an impressively strong set of lungs and if there'd been an American Idol competition in those days he might've made the judges drool all over themselves but maybe he was just born too soon for such a fate. As for this particular number I find no redeeming qualities to report. "Hooked on You" is as banal as its moniker suggests and even though I hate to keep making comparisons this is an obvious rip off of the "rawk" hairballs Billy Squier was repeatedly coughing up in that era. The trio tosses in a few audio tricks to try to fool us into thinking they're clever but they're woefully ineffective.

Their mutual Canadian upbringing notwithstanding, "Take a Stand" is most likely what Rush would've sounded like if they'd decided to abandon their inventive muse and chase the almighty dollar. (May we all pause for a moment and thank the prog gods they didn't.) I deem this track pathetic schlock. Moore steps back up to the mike to croon "Just One Night," a ditty that may've been written with Michael Bolton in mind. It's a pedestrian power ballad signifying nothing. Next comes a short instrumental, "Embujo," and wow, that detour into Tijuana really paid off for you guys, huh? I will grant them this, though. At least they display a modicum of inspiration even if it's only for a few minutes. "Play With the Fire" sports the tired boogie rock beat that I so despise because it unfailingly wears out its welcome in a nanosecond and then you're stuck with it for the duration. The song's words must've been assembled from a dollar store rhyming dictionary with no regard for content whatsoever. Emmett does get to show off his fretboard tapping technique at one point but it comes off cheesy and patronizing. The name they stuck on "Don't Love Anybody But Me" is as insipid as their designation as a prog-related band. This tune is so commercial that it should have a price tag hanging off it.

In their defense putting out this brand of rock & roll is the trap that a great number of their peers stepped into during that dismal decade so perhaps they simply fell victim to a fatal strain of the MTV virus that sapped them of all progressive tendencies. I have no doubt they were giving it all they had but it's like trying to make a cake without flour. A vital ingredient was missing. As I said before, they could've been leaning in a prog direction in their early years but nothing I've heard so far convinces me that they should be given the time of day by any serious progger. 0.7 stars.

3 stars I feel really embarrassed with some of the reviews on this band. Actually, these reviews and the overall abyssal ratings detracted me from trying Triumph again after something like a thirty years hiatus. Fortunately, traveling from link to link on Youtube, I happened to stumble upon some Trium ... (read more)

Report this review (#1340915) | Posted by Bupie | Tuesday, January 06, 2015 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "The Sport of Kings"