THE SPORT OF KINGS

Triumph The Sport of Kings album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

1. Tears in the Rain (3:55)
2. Somebody's Out There (4:04)
3. What Rules My Heart (3:52)
4. If Only (4:00)
5. Hooked on You (3:22)
6. Take a Stand (4:33)
7. Just One Night (3:40)
8. Embrujo (1:29)
9. Play With the Fire (5:18)
10. Don't Love Anybody Else But Me (3:55)
11. In the Middle of the Night (4:34)

Total Time: (42:41)

- Lou Pomanti / keys
- Johnny Rutledge / vocals

1986: Triumph/ TRC
2005: CD TRC #78009

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings Music

Sport of KingsSport of Kings
Remastered
Tml Entertainment 2005
Sport Of Kings [Us Import] by Triumph (2005-04-11)Sport Of Kings [Us Import] by Triumph (2005-04-11)
Trc
Sport of Kings by Mca Special ProductsSport of Kings by Mca Special Products
Mca Special Products
Triumph: The Sport Of Kings Cassette NM Canada MCA CAC-5786Triumph: The Sport Of Kings Cassette NM Canada MCA CAC-5786
MCA
Audio Cassette$5.99 (used)

Triumph - Sport Of Kings [CD New] USD $10.04 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Sport Of Kings - Triumph (CD Used Very Good) USD $8.04 Buy It Now 5h 13m
TRIUMPH - THE SPORT OF KINGS. JAPAN.OBI USD $8.00 [2 bids]
LP TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS **SHRINKWRAP** **NM VINYL** USD $15.98 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH Sport of Kings 1986 U.S. release MCA Records Signed by Rik Emmett HTF CD USD $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings Japan CD Rush Iron Maiden Saxon Helix Allied Forces USD $20.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Triumph / The Sport Of Kings / UK 1st LP / 1986 UK 1st press LP / NM! USD $12.95 Buy It Now 3 days
TRIUMPH ~ THE SPORT OF KINGS VINYL RECORD LP USD $12.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Triumph - Sport Of Kings [CD New] - Remastered USD $16.12 Buy It Now 5 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings 1986 LP Album Record Vinyl US MCA-2-8020 USD $8.49 Buy It Now 5 days
triumph the sport of kings (cassette 1985 MCA) USD $4.25 Buy It Now 5 days
Triumph Cassette Tape The Sport Of Kings USD $1.00 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMPH - The Sport of Kings - LP Record Album Excellent Vinyl USD $2.99 Buy It Now 6 days
1986 TRIUMPH LP The Sport Of Kings Ex / VG+ in Shrinkwrap USD $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
LP TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS **SHRINKWRAP** **NM VINYL** 4 USD $15.99 Buy It Now 6 days
ALBUM =TRIUMPH=THE SPORT OF KINGS--1986 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 7 days
TRIUMPH SPORT OF KINGS CD 11 TRACK REMASTERED EU USD $8.42 Buy It Now 7 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings CD 2006 (11 Tracks) NEW & SEALED RARE USD $23.91 Buy It Now 8 days
Triumph "The Sport of Kings" 1986 12" NM Vinyl Record USD $10.00 Buy It Now 8 days
TRIUMPH - The Sport Of Kings - 1987 Magazine Advertisment Poster USD $5.83 Buy It Now 8 days
Sport of Kings - Triumph New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $12.25 Buy It Now 9 days
(Q95 PROMO) TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM (1986) USD $11.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Triumph "The Sport Of Kings" 12 Vinyl Record Album MCA-5786 NM Condition 1986 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
ROCK METAL TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS MASTERDISK MASTER LP RECORD VG+ PROMO USD $16.00 Buy It Now 10 days
TRIUMPH / THE SPORT OF KINGS / JAPAN JVC 540 / MCAD 5786 / TRIUMPH CD RARE CD USD $13.53 Buy It Now 10 days
TRIUMPH - THE SPORT OF KINGS - CD (DADC) 1986 MCA / CRC USD $12.99 Buy It Now 10 days
The Sport of Kings Triumph 12" LP Album 1986 MCA #MCA5786 Promo USD $12.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Triumph - Sport of Kings - cassette (1986, MCA/CBS Canada) 548123C USD $4.38 Buy It Now 11 days
TRIUMPH ~ THE SPORT OF KINGS ~ CASSETTE TAPE USD $4.99 Buy It Now 12 days
The Sport of Kings [Remaster] by Triumph (CD, Apr-2005, TRC Distribution) USD $6.82 Buy It Now 12 days
Triumph / The Sport Of Kings / LP / Used / VG+ / USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Triumph "Sport Of Kings" USD $7.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings - Very nice VG++ LP see description USD $5.00 Buy It Now 14 days
TRIUMPH-THE SPORT OF KINGS-MCA 5786 VG+/VG+ LP USD $7.48 Buy It Now 15 days
The Sport of Kings by Triumph (CD MCA) early pressing JAPAN smooth case USD $10.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Sport of Kings, Triumph, New Original recording remastered USD $14.18 Buy It Now 15 days
Triumph Sport Of Kings Cassette Tape 1986 Hard Prog Rock Rik Emmet Rush Saga USD $4.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Triumph The Sport of Kings LP EX/EX Lyrics 1986 MCA-5786 USD $4.96 Buy It Now 16 days
Triumph - The Sport of Kings (MCA 5786) ('86) (Rik Emmett) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 17 days
TRIUMPH-SPORT OF KINGS (RMST) CD NEW USD $10.65 Buy It Now 17 days
TRIUMPH Sport of Kings 1986 JAPAN For USA Oop JVC CD 80s Power Rock Rik Emmett USD $19.78 Buy It Now 18 days
SPORT OF KINGS BY TRIUMPH (CD) USD $16.05 Buy It Now 20 days
TRIUMPH Sport of kings CD 1986 MCA USA Press AOR w Somebody's Out There s1963 USD $10.91 Buy It Now 20 days
Triumph-The Sports of Kings-MCA 1986--Rik Emmett-Gil Moore-Album-Vinyl-LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 21 days
TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings CD 1986 MEGA RARE OOP ORIG 1st PRESS JAPAN-for-USA!!! USD $24.99 Buy It Now 22 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings LP USD $7.63 Buy It Now 22 days
The Sport of Kings [Remaster] by Triumph (CD, Apr-2005, TRC Distribution) USD $12.24 Buy It Now 22 days
TRIUMPH CD: "THE SPORT OF KINGS" JAPAN MADE 1986 JVC-540 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 23 days
TRIUMPH cd THE SPORT OF KINGS free US shipping USD $20.00 Buy It Now 23 days
TRIUMPH**THE SPORT OF KINGS (REMASTERED)**CD USD $6.95 Buy It Now 24 days
Triumph -The Sport of Kings(1986 CD,unplayed)Canadian Power Trio/Hard Rock USD $15.00 Buy It Now 24 days
TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings (MCAD-5786) CD 1986 ULTRA RARE OOP USD $16.00 Buy It Now 24 days
TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS CASSETTE TAPE 1986 BLUE PAPER LABEL MCA UK USD $5.82 Buy It Now 25 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings CD 1986 TRC Records USD $16.00 Buy It Now 25 days
TRIUMPH - The Sport of Kings 1986 LP insert EX USD $11.95 Buy It Now 25 days
The Sport of Kings [Remaster] by Triumph USD $16.77 Buy It Now 25 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings - LP Record G+ VG+ USD $5.32 Buy It Now 27 days
Sport Of Kings [Us Import] Triumph Audio CD USD $16.61 Buy It Now 27 days
Triumph CASSETTE NEW The Sport Of Kings USD $25.00 Buy It Now 27 days
Rik Emmett RARE Signed Triumph The Sport Of Kings Vinyl LP Record + Candid Photo USD $99.99 Buy It Now 27 days
The Sport of Kings by Triumph (Cassette) FREE SHIPPING USD $6.11 Buy It Now 27 days
TRIUMPH - THE SPORT OF KINGS (1986) CD RARE EARLY MCA JAPAN JVC-540 MCAD-5786 USD $12.50 Buy It Now 28 days
TRIUMPH LP The Sport of Kings 1986 Rik Emmett ps Tears In The Rain Take A Stand USD $9.97 Buy It Now 29 days
the sport of kings LP, TRIUMPH,Excellent, (NM-) This record won't be perfect an USD $13.08 Buy It Now 29 days
the sport of kings LP, TRIUMPH,Very Good, vinyl with cover art- VG/VG-aged coll USD $9.73 Buy It Now 29 days
The Sport of Kings by Triumph CD GREAT SHAPE HARD ROCK USD $14.99 Buy It Now 29 days
The Sport of Kings by Triumph (CD, Sep-1995, TRC Distribution) USD $13.99 Buy It Now 29 days
TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS 1986 12" LP NEAR MINT CONDITION USD $40.00 Buy It Now 30 days

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(12%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(15%)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings reviews

Review by Sinusoid
1 stars I didn't really know that much about Triumph when I found this album in my uncle's vinyl collection. I had maybe heard one or two songs on the radio but dismissed them as just another rock band that kind of sounds like early Rush. That sound was what I was expecting when I put the needle down on THE SPORT OF KINGS; needless to say, the album didn't have that sound, but the sound I did hear wasn't pleasing to my ears.

I could give a track by track explanation into the fabric of the album, but what would be the point? Think of the most stereotypical 80's pop-rock album complete with sappy love lyrics, AOR power guitars and poppy synths, and that pretty much takes care of the ten tracks beyond the three minute mark. I am more reminded of Steve Perry's Journey rather than early Rush, but I honestly don't have much affinity for the former band.

The only track I can really stomach is the short, guitar piece ''Embrujo''; it's sort of a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the album. It's not a great guitar thing, especially when I've heard a few other guitar pieces like the ones from Tony Iommi.

On the whole, the album is drab to my ears. Progressive rock contents are extremely minimal if not completely absent. Only proggers with a sweet tooth for AOR-pop stuff should be interested in this album.

Review by Chicapah
1 stars Call me a glutton for aural punishment but I assure you that I'm not a masochist. I've found that in Progland there are not only glorious peaks to admire but shadowy valleys and a lot of in-between plateaus to navigate and explore so, as a reviewer, I must honestly rate the product manufactured by its inhabitants accordingly. A few years back an assortment of albums by Triumph came into my possession and I finally got around to giving the group a listen in hopes of discovering some savory prog rock to chew on. Unfortunately I'm finding that instead of steak and lobster I'm being presented with unseasoned cauliflower and beets. I started with their '81 release, "Allied Forces," and by the final cut I thought it should've been called "Let's do what those other guys are doing" instead because rarely have I heard anything so imitative and mimicking in my life. However, being the forgiving sort that's ever willing to give artists another chance to redeem themselves (even the best lay a rotten egg from time to time) I gave their "Sport of Kings" from '86 an unbiased spin. The good news is that it's not quite as despicable as the aforementioned turd. The bad news is that the improvement is negligible.

They open with "Tears in the Rain," a pop rock song indistinguishable from the lame offerings of a thousand other groups that swarmed like flies on a week-old wildebeest carcass in the mid 80s. Think Jefferson Starship mating with Toto and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this track sounds like especially since drummer Gil Moore could've been the shrill vocalist Mickey Thomas' stand-in. "Somebody's Out There" is next and it would've fit into the soundtracks for "Footloose" or "Flashdance" perfectly. It's slick as a quart of Quaker State, formulaic to the nth degree and contains incredibly vapid lyrics that were probably jotted down on a coffee-stained Denny's napkin at the eleventh hour. Scorpions come to mind on "What Rules My Heart" and I don't mean that to be a compliment. This is a prime example of faux metal and it's so blatantly derivative as to be a disgrace. My guess is the answer to the tune's title is "an insatiable yearning for a Top 40 hit single." "If Only" follows and to that I'd add in parentheses "we had an atom of originality." I'll concede that singer/guitarist Rik Emmett owns an impressively strong set of lungs and if there'd been an American Idol competition in those days he might've made the judges drool all over themselves but maybe he was just born too soon for such a fate. As for this particular number I find no redeeming qualities to report. "Hooked on You" is as banal as its moniker suggests and even though I hate to keep making comparisons this is an obvious rip off of the "rawk" hairballs Billy Squier was repeatedly coughing up in that era. The trio tosses in a few audio tricks to try to fool us into thinking they're clever but they're woefully ineffective.

Their mutual Canadian upbringing notwithstanding, "Take a Stand" is most likely what Rush would've sounded like if they'd decided to abandon their inventive muse and chase the almighty dollar. (May we all pause for a moment and thank the prog gods they didn't.) I deem this track pathetic schlock. Moore steps back up to the mike to croon "Just One Night," a ditty that may've been written with Michael Bolton in mind. It's a pedestrian power ballad signifying nothing. Next comes a short instrumental, "Embujo," and wow, that detour into Tijuana really paid off for you guys, huh? I will grant them this, though. At least they display a modicum of inspiration even if it's only for a few minutes. "Play With the Fire" sports the tired boogie rock beat that I so despise because it unfailingly wears out its welcome in a nanosecond and then you're stuck with it for the duration. The song's words must've been assembled from a dollar store rhyming dictionary with no regard for content whatsoever. Emmett does get to show off his fretboard tapping technique at one point but it comes off cheesy and patronizing. The name they stuck on "Don't Love Anybody But Me" is as insipid as their designation as a prog-related band. This tune is so commercial that it should have a price tag hanging off it.

In their defense putting out this brand of rock & roll is the trap that a great number of their peers stepped into during that dismal decade so perhaps they simply fell victim to a fatal strain of the MTV virus that sapped them of all progressive tendencies. I have no doubt they were giving it all they had but it's like trying to make a cake without flour. A vital ingredient was missing. As I said before, they could've been leaning in a prog direction in their early years but nothing I've heard so far convinces me that they should be given the time of day by any serious progger. 0.7 stars.

3 stars I feel really embarrassed with some of the reviews on this band. Actually, these reviews and the overall abyssal ratings detracted me from trying Triumph again after something like a thirty years hiatus. Fortunately, traveling from link to link on Youtube, I happened to stumble upon some Trium ... (read more)

Report this review (#1340915) | Posted by Bupie | Tuesday, January 6, 2015 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "The Sport of Kings"