THE SPORT OF KINGS

Triumph

Triumph The Sport of Kings album cover

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

1. Tears in the Rain (3:55)
2. Somebody's Out There (4:04)
3. What Rules My Heart (3:52)
4. If Only (4:00)
5. Hooked on You (3:22)
6. Take a Stand (4:33)
7. Just One Night (3:40)
8. Embrujo (1:29)
9. Play With the Fire (5:18)
10. Don't Love Anybody Else But Me (3:55)
11. In the Middle of the Night (4:34)

Total Time: (42:41)

- Lou Pomanti / keys
- Johnny Rutledge / vocals

1986: Triumph/ TRC
2005: CD TRC #78009

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings Music

Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
TML Entertainment 2010
Just a GameJust a Game
Allied ForcesAllied Forces
Tml Entertainment 2004
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
Jdc Records 2014
Vinyl$11.98
Sport of KingsSport of Kings
Cataract,CD,With Triumph Comes Loss US $5.99 Buy It Now 34m 49s
Triumph - The Sport of Kings - 1986 Vinyl Lp./ Exc./ Hard Rock Metal/ Rik Emmett US $5.99 Buy It Now 55m 47s
TRIUMPH - Surveillance - 1987 Promo Vinyl Lp/ Exc./ Hard Rock Metal/ Rik Emmett US $11.99 Buy It Now 58m 22s
TRIUMPH - Newer Surrender - 1983 Vinyl Lp./ Exc./ Hard Rock AOR / Rik Emmett US $4.99 Buy It Now 59m 50s
TRIUMPH - Allied Forces - 1981 Vinyl w/ Lyrics Exc/ Hard Rock Metal / Rik Emmett US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h
1984 TRIUMPH "Thunder Seven" Philippines LP US $40.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Triumph- Progressions of Power-includes insert- free uk post US $17.19 Buy It Now 3h 28m
The Triumph of Steel by Manowar (CD, Oct-1992, Atlantic (Label)) US $19.00 Buy It Now 3h 38m
TRIUMPH STAGES 2 LP SET GATEFOLD COVER 867 US $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Triumph & Agony by Warlock (Cassette, Mar-2003, Mercury) VG cond US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 14m
TRIUMPH progressions of power PL 13524 A1E/B1E uk 1980 LP PS EX/VG+ with insert US $14.66 Buy It Now 5h 51m
The jacksons Triumph US $3.00 [0 bids]
Triumph - Progressions of Power 1980 Lp. w/Lyrics Hard Prog. Rock AOR VG++ Vinyl US $0.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Just A Game LP US $12.97 Buy It Now 6h 43m
"CLASSICS" TRIUMPH CASSETTE VG+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 7h
Triumph-Allied forces LP 1981 US $10.54 [0 bids]
Triumph-Just a game LP 1979 US $10.54 [0 bids]
Triumph-Progessions of power LP 1980 US $10.54 [0 bids]
Triumph-Stages 2LP 1985 US $10.54 [0 bids]
Triumph-The sport of kings LP 1986 US $10.54 [0 bids]
Triumph-Thunder seven LP 1984 US $10.54 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH 4 LP Lot Allied Forces, Just A Game, Never Surrender, Thunder Seven US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 19m
2 LP's Philip Bailey Chinese Wall & Triumph Earth, Wind & Fire US $13.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - JUST A GAME - NEAR MINT RE-ISSUE RCA RECORD 1979 US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 29m
TRIUMPH Never Surrender LP With Inner Sleeve, 10 Track Vinyl Album, Pl-14382 (V US $11.34 Buy It Now 7h 53m
TRIUMPH Progressions Of Power LP With Insert, Pl 13524 (Vg/Ex) US $14.58 Buy It Now 7h 54m
TRIUMPH Triumph LP Pl 12982 (Vg/Ex, Sleeve Has A Little Damage On Spine) US $14.58 Buy It Now 7h 54m
TRIUMPH-THUNDER SEVEN 1984 MCA RECORDS LP MCA-5537 VG++ CANADIAN METAL!! US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 27m
TRIUMPH-JUST A GAME 1979 RCA VICTOR RECORDS GATEFOLD LP AFL1-3224 EXC. VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 27m
Santers Guitar Alley 12" vinyl LP '84 rock triumph US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 44m
JESSE WILLIS,MIKE MIDWESTERN,NEW CD,From Triumph to Tragedy US $5.79 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Goddess Of Desire - Symbol of Triumph (CD, Jul-1999, Metal Blade) US $4.00 Buy It Now 9h 9m
TRIUMPH-ALLIED FORCES-LP-RCA1981-SUPER CLEAN LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
Mortification-Triumph of Mercy tourniquet, extol, zao, living sacrifice horde US $4.99 [0 bids]
Never Surrender Triumph US $10.00 [0 bids]
Sheila Walsh--Triumph In The Air 1984 Vinyl LP Record US $10.50 Buy It Now 11h
Sheila Walsh--Triumph In The Air 1984 Cassette US $10.50 Buy It Now 11h
Triumph Thunder Seven Vinyl LP 1984 MCA Records MCA-5537 EX+/VG US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 16m
Winterfylleth - Threnody Of Triumph [Vinyl New] US $24.32 Buy It Now 11h 17m
TRIUMPH NEVER SURRENDER LP RECORD ON RCA #AFL1-4382 US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 22m
Triumph ?- The Sport Of Kings LP Vinyl MCA5786 US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 25m
TRIUMPH Stages (1985) Vinyl 2 LP Set EX/VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
2 Lot TRIUMPH Record Albums Rock & Roll " Allied Forces " Progressions of Power' US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 30m
THE TRIUMPH OF LOVE - CAMERATA TRAJECTINA - GLO6069 US $20.37 Buy It Now 11h 32m
Triumph ALLIED FORCES LP MCA-5542 VG+/EX US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 40m
Rik Emmett Absolutely USA Cassette Tape Triumph US $3.99 Buy It Now 12h 27m
Triumph Thunder Seven LP 1984 MCA-5537 Shrink Vinyl Record US $5.69 Buy It Now 12h 30m
Triumph Trident Triple Scoop / Paper Record US $4.00 [0 bids]
LAURA LEE 'Tell Tommy I Miss Him/I'm Sending Back Your Roses' Triumph 45 US $48.64 Buy It Now 12h 39m
WARLOCK - TRIUMPH AND AGONY / 1987 MERCURY RECORDS PROMO RECORD / DORO PESCH US $16.45 [4 bids]
The Jacksons - Triumph - CD US $6.47 [0 bids]
13h
TRIUMPH - PROGRESSIONS OF POWER GLASGOW APOLLO TICKET STUB 1980 US $8.09 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH never surrender JAPAN LP OBI it RPL-8165 US $16.19 Buy It Now 13h 17m
TRIUMPH: Rock & Roll Machine LP (promo stamp obc, few lite cover creases, disc US $15.00 Buy It Now 13h 38m
Destiny/Triumph by The Jacksons (CD, Sep-2010, 2 Discs, Sony Music... US $16.02 Buy It Now 13h 52m
VALERY KASTELSKY: Jolivet"Piano Concerto",Mannino"Triumph of love" MELODIYA LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Philip Bailey--Triumph 1986 Myrrh/A&M Vinyl LP Record Earth Wind & Fire US $8.00 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Philip Bailey--Triumph 1986 Myrrh Vinyl LP Record Earth Wind & Fire US $8.00 Buy It Now 14h 44m
TRIUMPH 1979 & 1982 TWO 12inch VINYLS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION PLEASE SEE SCANS US $0.81 [0 bids]
Classics - Triumph 05207084 US $12.42 Buy It Now 15h 2m
Stages (rmst) - Triumph US $12.42 Buy It Now 15h 2m
TRIUMPH -- Allied forces -- 1981 LP release US $4.00 Buy It Now 15h 5m
Ascending In Triumph - Nox Aurea US $5.99 Buy It Now 15h 7m
GRADE TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY US $1.99 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Deviator - To Forgotten Path-Triumph of the Will CD US $16.06 Buy It Now 15h 19m
TRIUMPH RARE 12" WHITE LABEL PROMO SINGLE FOLLOW YOUR HEART / MINT- US $2.95 Buy It Now 15h 20m
JACKSONS - DESTINY/TRIUMPH (IMPORT) NEW CD US $26.78 Buy It Now 15h 44m
Triumph Just A Game RCA Victor AFL1-3224 VG Vinyl VG+ Cover US $0.99 [1 bids]
TRIUMPH * I CAN SURVIVE & NATURE'S CHILD * 45 RPM US $9.00 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Lillian Axe Poetic Justice Cassette 1992 Heavy Hair Metal Winger Warrant Triumph US $6.29 Buy It Now 15h 57m
LP / JACKSONS / TRIUMPH (USA) US $1.99 Buy It Now 16h
Rap VINYL- TRIUMPH THE INSULT COMIC DOG - I Keed - 12" Vinyl NM - Promo US $10.00 [0 bids]
Warlock - Triumph And Agony (cassette) doro pesch US $10.99 Buy It Now 16h 50m
triumph, scorpions, pat benatar, jethro tull, the police, record lot, LP lot US $60.00 [0 bids]
CHARLES MINGUS - TRIUMPH OF THE UNDERDOG NEW DVD US $24.93 Buy It Now 17h 24m
1980s Vintage Bumper Stickers!! Classic Rock!! TRIUMPH!! OUTLAWS!! SAGA!! US $11.55 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH LP PROGRESSIONS OF POWER RCA 3524 US $6.99 Buy It Now 18h 25m
Triumph, Rock n Roll Machine, LP US $5.00 [0 bids]
Triumph; Follow Your Heart on 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 48m
TRIUMPH - PROGRESSIONS OF POWER ,lp album, EXC. "i live for the weekend" US $4.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Concert Ticket Stub 10/24/1986 Westwood One Concert @ Spectrum US $4.95 [0 bids]
20-LP LOT Van Halen UFO Blue Oyster Cult GRAND FUNK Krokus JUDAS PRIEST Triumph US $23.00 [5 bids]
MAXELL Rock II Sampler RCA LP '80 OG Cello Triumph Airplay Robert Gordon NM US $2.99 [0 bids]
1980 PROMO ARENA ROCK Triumph - Progressions of Power Demo Vinyl LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
Triumph The Jacksons Original Vinyl Record album 12" LP Excellent 33 RPM, Motown US $7.99 [0 bids]
RIK EMMETT,absolutely,RANDY COOKE,colleen allen,TRIUMPH US $6.99 Buy It Now 22h 15m
TRIUMPH " ALLIED FORCES " LP VINYL US $0.50 [0 bids]
Triumph - Rock & Roll Machine LP - Limited Edition Silver Vinyl Attic LATX 1036 US $6.99 [0 bids]
Handel The Triumph of Time and Truth Darlow Fisher UK US $69.69 Buy It Now 22h 52m
TRIUMPH - Thunder Seven LP MCA SEALED co US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 21m
TRIUMPH THUNDER SEVEN RECORD LP 12" US $9.02 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH STAGES LIVE DOUBLE RECORD LP 12" GATEFOLD US $9.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Come Poop with Me [PA] by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (CD, Nov-2003) US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
A924 THE JACKSONS / TRIUMPH JAPAN CD 25.8P-5141 OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph - Progressions of Power -1980 Vinyl Lp. w/ Lyrics / Hard Prog. Rock AOR US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WARLOCK 'Triumph And Agony' 10 song cd 1987 Doro US $4.95 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH / THUNDER SEVEN LP w/OBI Insert Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph "Thunder Seven" 12" LP Quiex II Pressing, promo; 1980, MCA USA US $4.00 [0 bids]
GODDESS OF DESIRE - Symbol of Triumph (CD) US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JACKSONS (US GROUP) triumph LP 9 track (32366) dutch epic 1980 US $8.09 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(16%)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings reviews

Review by Sinusoid
1 stars I didn't really know that much about Triumph when I found this album in my uncle's vinyl collection. I had maybe heard one or two songs on the radio but dismissed them as just another rock band that kind of sounds like early Rush. That sound was what I was expecting when I put the needle down on THE SPORT OF KINGS; needless to say, the album didn't have that sound, but the sound I did hear wasn't pleasing to my ears.

I could give a track by track explanation into the fabric of the album, but what would be the point? Think of the most stereotypical 80's pop-rock album complete with sappy love lyrics, AOR power guitars and poppy synths, and that pretty much takes care of the ten tracks beyond the three minute mark. I am more reminded of Steve Perry's Journey rather than early Rush, but I honestly don't have much affinity for the former band.

The only track I can really stomach is the short, guitar piece ''Embrujo''; it's sort of a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the album. It's not a great guitar thing, especially when I've heard a few other guitar pieces like the ones from Tony Iommi.

On the whole, the album is drab to my ears. Progressive rock contents are extremely minimal if not completely absent. Only proggers with a sweet tooth for AOR-pop stuff should be interested in this album.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#242202) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Review by Chicapah
1 stars Call me a glutton for aural punishment but I assure you that I'm not a masochist. I've found that in Progland there are not only glorious peaks to admire but shadowy valleys and a lot of in-between plateaus to navigate and explore so, as a reviewer, I must honestly rate the product manufactured by its inhabitants accordingly. A few years back an assortment of albums by Triumph came into my possession and I finally got around to giving the group a listen in hopes of discovering some savory prog rock to chew on. Unfortunately I'm finding that instead of steak and lobster I'm being presented with unseasoned cauliflower and beets. I started with their '81 release, "Allied Forces," and by the final cut I thought it should've been called "Let's do what those other guys are doing" instead because rarely have I heard anything so imitative and mimicking in my life. However, being the forgiving sort that's ever willing to give artists another chance to redeem themselves (even the best lay a rotten egg from time to time) I gave their "Sport of Kings" from '86 an unbiased spin. The good news is that it's not quite as despicable as the aforementioned turd. The bad news is that the improvement is negligible.

They open with "Tears in the Rain," a pop rock song indistinguishable from the lame offerings of a thousand other groups that swarmed like flies on a week-old wildebeest carcass in the mid 80s. Think Jefferson Starship mating with Toto and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this track sounds like especially since drummer Gil Moore could've been the shrill vocalist Mickey Thomas' stand-in. "Somebody's Out There" is next and it would've fit into the soundtracks for "Footloose" or "Flashdance" perfectly. It's slick as a quart of Quaker State, formulaic to the nth degree and contains incredibly vapid lyrics that were probably jotted down on a coffee-stained Denny's napkin at the eleventh hour. Scorpions come to mind on "What Rules My Heart" and I don't mean that to be a compliment. This is a prime example of faux metal and it's so blatantly derivative as to be a disgrace. My guess is the answer to the tune's title is "an insatiable yearning for a Top 40 hit single." "If Only" follows and to that I'd add in parentheses "we had an atom of originality." I'll concede that singer/guitarist Rik Emmett owns an impressively strong set of lungs and if there'd been an American Idol competition in those days he might've made the judges drool all over themselves but maybe he was just born too soon for such a fate. As for this particular number I find no redeeming qualities to report. "Hooked on You" is as banal as its moniker suggests and even though I hate to keep making comparisons this is an obvious rip off of the "rawk" hairballs Billy Squier was repeatedly coughing up in that era. The trio tosses in a few audio tricks to try to fool us into thinking they're clever but they're woefully ineffective.

Their mutual Canadian upbringing notwithstanding, "Take a Stand" is most likely what Rush would've sounded like if they'd decided to abandon their inventive muse and chase the almighty dollar. (May we all pause for a moment and thank the prog gods they didn't.) I deem this track pathetic schlock. Moore steps back up to the mike to croon "Just One Night," a ditty that may've been written with Michael Bolton in mind. It's a pedestrian power ballad signifying nothing. Next comes a short instrumental, "Embujo," and wow, that detour into Tijuana really paid off for you guys, huh? I will grant them this, though. At least they display a modicum of inspiration even if it's only for a few minutes. "Play With the Fire" sports the tired boogie rock beat that I so despise because it unfailingly wears out its welcome in a nanosecond and then you're stuck with it for the duration. The song's words must've been assembled from a dollar store rhyming dictionary with no regard for content whatsoever. Emmett does get to show off his fretboard tapping technique at one point but it comes off cheesy and patronizing. The name they stuck on "Don't Love Anybody But Me" is as insipid as their designation as a prog-related band. This tune is so commercial that it should have a price tag hanging off it.

In their defense putting out this brand of rock & roll is the trap that a great number of their peers stepped into during that dismal decade so perhaps they simply fell victim to a fatal strain of the MTV virus that sapped them of all progressive tendencies. I have no doubt they were giving it all they had but it's like trying to make a cake without flour. A vital ingredient was missing. As I said before, they could've been leaning in a prog direction in their early years but nothing I've heard so far convinces me that they should be given the time of day by any serious progger. 0.7 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1105516) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 02, 2014

Post a review of TRIUMPH "The Sport of Kings"