THE SPORT OF KINGS

Triumph

Triumph The Sport of Kings album cover

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

1. Tears in the Rain (3:55)
2. Somebody's Out There (4:04)
3. What Rules My Heart (3:52)
4. If Only (4:00)
5. Hooked on You (3:22)
6. Take a Stand (4:33)
7. Just One Night (3:40)
8. Embrujo (1:29)
9. Play With the Fire (5:18)
10. Don't Love Anybody Else But Me (3:55)
11. In the Middle of the Night (4:34)

Total Time: (42:41)

- Lou Pomanti / keys
- Johnny Rutledge / vocals

1986: Triumph/ TRC
2005: CD TRC #78009

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings Music

ClassicsClassics
Tml Entertainment 2007
Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
Edge of ExcessEdge of Excess
Universal Music & VI 1993
Progressions of PowerProgressions of Power
Tml Entertainment 2005
Triumph - Somebody's Out There / same 45 rpm 1986 NM- Promo US $2.25 Buy It Now 45m 57s
TRIUMPH-The Sport Of Kings-RIK EMMETT/Toronto CANADA-Cd US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Triumph - Rock & Roll Machine (Mini Lp Sleeve) [CD New] US $49.49 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Triumph - Live At The Sweden Ro [CD New] US $21.25 Buy It Now 1h 7m
triumph 2lp stages mca2-8020 vg+/m- US $4.79 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Triumph - Somebody's Out There / What Rules My Heart 45 rpm 1986 US $2.75 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Dark Triumph - The Life of Victoria Lancaster Smith (CD) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Vanilla Muffins - Triumph Of Sugar Oi! [CD New] US $23.97 Buy It Now 2h 6m
TRIUMPH Progressions Of Power LP US $17.87 Buy It Now 2h 18m
"Triumph Of Man" red vinyl record. New York Worlds Fair 1964-1965. US $2.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH "NM WAX" Just A Game AFL1-3224 OBI LP Ad4372 US $7.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH "NM WAX" Allied Forces RPL-8103 OBI LP Af7013 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Waipara Tama - Triumph Of Time NEW CD US $19.17 Buy It Now 3h 8m
MANOWAR - The Triumph of Steel - 1992 Atlantic US $4.86 [1 bids]
TRIUMPH, Just A Game LP US $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Triumph-Thunder Seven-LP-OGSleeve-MCA-MCA5537-VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
(DJ312) The MoStar Diving Club, Triumph of Hope - 2012 DJ CD US $4.86 Buy It Now 3h 48m
JACKSONS: Triumph LP (inner sleeve, light cover crease) Soul US $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
15 Cassettes Box -- Triumph,Nirvana,Poison,Heart,George Thorogood,U2 US $39.99 [0 bids]
4h
Triumph Progressions of Power 8 Track Tape TESTED US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h
(DG308) The Hiss, Triumph - DJ CD US $3.98 Buy It Now 4h 15m
(AX847) The Hiss, Triumph - 2003 CD US $4.47 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Triumph Never Surrender 10 track 1983 CASSETTE TAPE US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
MANOWAR-THE TRIUMPH OF STEEL SEALED JAPAN PRESS CD WPCR-15924 US $22.00 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Progressions of Power - Triumph (Cassette 1986, MCA) in NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 32m
The Sport Of Kings - Triumph (Cassette 1987) in NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m
SHEILA WALSH . TRIUMPH IN THE AIR . SPARROW LP 1984 US $3.25 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - SURVEILLANCE NEW CD US $13.71 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Triumph Allied Forces Afl1-3902 Rock Lp 1981 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Come Poop with Me [PA] by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (CD, Nov-2003, Warner Bro US $2.96 Buy It Now 6h 28m
TRIUMPH surveillance LP Record SEALED 1987 US $42.50 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Triumph "Never Surrender", 1983 Vinyl LP, Excellent Condition, RCA Records US $5.95 Buy It Now 6h 40m
TRIUMPH - SOMEBODY'S OUT THERE / What Rules My Heart - 1986 Vinyl 45'Pic.sleeve US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 15m
TRIUMPH Never Surrender CD MCAD 31069 Manufactured in Japan 1983 US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 3m
7" promo EDDIE JEFFERSON Body and Soul // Sherry TRIUMPH US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH: FOLLOW YOUR HEART / STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND 45 RPM LIMITED RED VINYL US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
TRIUMPH: SPELLBOUND / COOL DOWN 45 RPM HARD ROCK HAIR METAL US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
TRIUMPH: SOMEBODY'S OUT THERE/WHAT RULES MY HEART RIK EMMETT HARD ROCK US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Triumph - Surveillance (Cassette 1987 MCA) VG+ w/Lyrics Free 1st Class US S US $7.64 Buy It Now 8h 45m
triumph, scorpions, pat benatar, jethro tull, the police, record lot, LP lot US $72.50 [0 bids]
METALIUM:STATE OF TRIUMPH CHAPTER II (CD)/POWER METAL US $4.00 [0 bids]
Winterfylleth The Threnody Of Triumph Lp Vinyl Black Metal US $24.95 Buy It Now 9h 53m
TRIUMPH CLASSICS (1989) JAPAN CD PSCW-5333 US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 50m
TRIUMPH EDGE OF EXCESS (1993) ORIGINAL JAPAN CD VICP-5243 US $49.99 Buy It Now 10h 50m
ANDY J. FOREST - NOTOWN STORY: THE TRIUMPH OF TURMOIL NEW CD US $26.58 Buy It Now 11h 28m
With Triumph Comes Loss by Cataract (CD, Sep-2004, Metal Blade) US $3.30 Buy It Now 11h 41m
TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KING Cassette Tape US $14.21 Buy It Now 12h 22m
TRIUMPH - S/T (ROCK AND ROLL MACHINE) UK PRESS WITH DIFFERENT COVER US $10.00 Buy It Now 12h 49m
Triumph s/t debut lp Attic LAT 1012 First Press NM US $8.00 [1 bids]
Symbol of Triumph by Goddess of Desire (CD, Jul-1999, Metal Blade) US $1.00 [0 bids]
Surveillance by Triumph *New CD* US $6.45 Buy It Now 13h 24m
Rock & Roll Machine by Triumph *New CD* US $6.18 Buy It Now 13h 26m
Progressions of Power by Triumph *New CD* US $6.18 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Triumph - Allied Forces CD US $17.74 Buy It Now 13h 50m
Jacksons - Triumph CD SBME SPECIAL PRODUCTS US $10.60 Buy It Now 14h 21m
Triumph The Sport of Kings LP NM Vinyl "Merchandice Insert" US $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 40m
Triumph Rock n Roll Machine LP NM Vinyl US $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 40m
Triumph - Rock & Roll Machine (Mini Lp Sleeve) CD US $49.53 Buy It Now 14h 49m
WARLOCK ALBUM "TRIUMPH AND AGONY"/ AUTOGRAPHED BY DORA+NIKO+TOMMY /1987/ MINT * US $43.99 [0 bids]
Triumph - Live At The Sweden Ro CD US $35.66 Buy It Now 14h 53m
TRIUMPH ,PROGRESSIONS OF POWER,33 RPM,12",1980,RCA US $20.99 Buy It Now 15h 25m
TRIUMPH - ALLIED FORCES ,RECORD,RCA,1981,12",HARD ROCK US $24.99 Buy It Now 15h 25m
Jacksons : CD(Japan Only MINI LP) - Triumph - Jackson 5 / Michael Jackson US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 59m
F*cked Up - Triumph of Life UK JUKEBOX 7" BLACK VINYL US $11.35 Buy It Now 16h 45m
V. Borisova-Ollas - Triumph Of Heaven [CD New] US $13.91 Buy It Now 16h 58m
TRIUMPH -"NEVER SURRENDER" RCA -1983 - AFL1-4382 - NM/EX Orig. Sleeve Rik Emmett US $5.75 Buy It Now 17h 7m
TRIUMPH Allied Forces LP RARE !! US $9.74 Buy It Now 17h 31m
TRIUMPH progressions of power PL13524 A1U/B1U 1st press uk rca 1980 LP PS VG/EX- US $14.60 Buy It Now 17h 51m
TRIUMPH rock & roll machine self titled PL 12982 A1E/B2E uk rca 1978 LP PS EX/EX US $14.60 Buy It Now 17h 51m
HELLRAISER III 3 cd soundtrack Clive Barker MOTORHEAD triumph SOUP DRAGONS US $19.99 Buy It Now 18h 4m
Triumph Extended Versions CD (Oct-2006) US $7.99 Buy It Now 18h 6m
TRIUMPH: Never Say Never metal PROMO vinyl single US $14.00 Buy It Now 18h 16m
MANOWAR - THE TRIUMPH OF STEEL - NEW CD US $6.48 Buy It Now 18h 33m
Triumph Of Love by Original Cast (CD, Oct-1998, Jay Records) US $2.50 [0 bids]
HOT SHOWER v/a LP nMINT UK 1981 RCA Budgie Hawkwind Slade Triumph US $12.98 Buy It Now 19h 38m
THE GREAT SCOTTS BALL AND CHAIN 45 ORIGINAL 1966 TRIUMPH 66 NM US $24.99 [0 bids]
Guttler, Ludwig:corno de cac-TRIUMPH OF THE CORNO DA CACCIA (JEWL) CD NEW US $15.69 Buy It Now 20h
PHILIP BAILEY triumph JAPAN LP OBI C28Y3141 kR4 US $10.99 Buy It Now 20h 2m
THE JACKSONS - TRIUMPH [THE JACKSONS] [886972399829] - NEW CD US $6.94 Buy It Now 21h 25m
WARLOCK - TRIUMPH & AGONY [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.12 Buy It Now 21h 29m
Progressions of Power by Triumph Vinyl, RCA tmk 1980 demonstration not for sale US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Triumph * by Deathstar (CD, Nov-2009, Facedown Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
WARLOCK - TRIUMPH AND AGONY 12" LP NM SINGLE SLEEVE 1987 VERTIGO PROMO US $11.37 [0 bids]
Triumph/Never Surrender Tour Program (Still in Shrink Wrap) US $32.99 [0 bids]
22h
WARLOCK - TRIUMPH AND AGONY 12" LP NEAR MINT GATEFOLD SLEEVE 1987 VERTIGO US $11.37 [0 bids]
22h
Triumph - Surveillance [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 22h 4m
@ CD Blood4 - Warning METAL JAPANESE PRESS + OBI CONCERTO MOON TRIUMPH 2006 SS US $24.99 Buy It Now 22h 20m
cataract - with triumph comes loss JAPAN CD OBI SEALED K128 US $9.99 [0 bids]
NORIFUMI SHIMA with Concerto Moon: Gate Of Triumph JAPAN CD OBI K545 US $9.99 [1 bids]
Manowar Triumph Of Steel CD First USA pressing color picture disc US $14.99 Buy It Now 22h 39m
(EQ13) Of Montreal, Triumph Of Disintegration - DJ CD US $4.86 Buy It Now 22h 41m
TRIUMPH-FOLLOW YOUR HEART/STRANGER LIMITED EDITION RED VINYL 45+PS US $8.98 Buy It Now 22h 50m
KOSCAK YAMADA /TRIUMPH AND PEACE1912 w/OBI JPN SJX-1170 US $21.00 Buy It Now 23h 13m
UNKNOWN PEOPLE - TRIUMPH (EP) NEW CD US $19.80 Buy It Now 23h 39m
Lot of 15 Hard Rock CD's, like Triumph, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink Floyd, Rush US $26.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - IN THE BEGINNING CD REMASTERED EDITION MINT CONDITION US $8.95 [0 bids]
triumph programme / tour book 1980 plus ticket and badge US $31.67 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH-ALLIED FORCES-JAPAN Ltd.Ed MINI LP CD 0512 Fi83 US $35.50 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH TWO RECORD DEAL VINYL LP'S US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH/thunder seven/1984 quiex II audiophile pressling lp US $35.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(16%)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings reviews

Review by Sinusoid
1 stars I didn't really know that much about Triumph when I found this album in my uncle's vinyl collection. I had maybe heard one or two songs on the radio but dismissed them as just another rock band that kind of sounds like early Rush. That sound was what I was expecting when I put the needle down on THE SPORT OF KINGS; needless to say, the album didn't have that sound, but the sound I did hear wasn't pleasing to my ears.

I could give a track by track explanation into the fabric of the album, but what would be the point? Think of the most stereotypical 80's pop-rock album complete with sappy love lyrics, AOR power guitars and poppy synths, and that pretty much takes care of the ten tracks beyond the three minute mark. I am more reminded of Steve Perry's Journey rather than early Rush, but I honestly don't have much affinity for the former band.

The only track I can really stomach is the short, guitar piece ''Embrujo''; it's sort of a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the album. It's not a great guitar thing, especially when I've heard a few other guitar pieces like the ones from Tony Iommi.

On the whole, the album is drab to my ears. Progressive rock contents are extremely minimal if not completely absent. Only proggers with a sweet tooth for AOR-pop stuff should be interested in this album.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#242202) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Review by Chicapah
1 stars Call me a glutton for aural punishment but I assure you that I'm not a masochist. I've found that in Progland there are not only glorious peaks to admire but shadowy valleys and a lot of in-between plateaus to navigate and explore so, as a reviewer, I must honestly rate the product manufactured by its inhabitants accordingly. A few years back an assortment of albums by Triumph came into my possession and I finally got around to giving the group a listen in hopes of discovering some savory prog rock to chew on. Unfortunately I'm finding that instead of steak and lobster I'm being presented with unseasoned cauliflower and beets. I started with their '81 release, "Allied Forces," and by the final cut I thought it should've been called "Let's do what those other guys are doing" instead because rarely have I heard anything so imitative and mimicking in my life. However, being the forgiving sort that's ever willing to give artists another chance to redeem themselves (even the best lay a rotten egg from time to time) I gave their "Sport of Kings" from '86 an unbiased spin. The good news is that it's not quite as despicable as the aforementioned turd. The bad news is that the improvement is negligible.

They open with "Tears in the Rain," a pop rock song indistinguishable from the lame offerings of a thousand other groups that swarmed like flies on a week-old wildebeest carcass in the mid 80s. Think Jefferson Starship mating with Toto and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this track sounds like especially since drummer Gil Moore could've been the shrill vocalist Mickey Thomas' stand-in. "Somebody's Out There" is next and it would've fit into the soundtracks for "Footloose" or "Flashdance" perfectly. It's slick as a quart of Quaker State, formulaic to the nth degree and contains incredibly vapid lyrics that were probably jotted down on a coffee-stained Denny's napkin at the eleventh hour. Scorpions come to mind on "What Rules My Heart" and I don't mean that to be a compliment. This is a prime example of faux metal and it's so blatantly derivative as to be a disgrace. My guess is the answer to the tune's title is "an insatiable yearning for a Top 40 hit single." "If Only" follows and to that I'd add in parentheses "we had an atom of originality." I'll concede that singer/guitarist Rik Emmett owns an impressively strong set of lungs and if there'd been an American Idol competition in those days he might've made the judges drool all over themselves but maybe he was just born too soon for such a fate. As for this particular number I find no redeeming qualities to report. "Hooked on You" is as banal as its moniker suggests and even though I hate to keep making comparisons this is an obvious rip off of the "rawk" hairballs Billy Squier was repeatedly coughing up in that era. The trio tosses in a few audio tricks to try to fool us into thinking they're clever but they're woefully ineffective.

Their mutual Canadian upbringing notwithstanding, "Take a Stand" is most likely what Rush would've sounded like if they'd decided to abandon their inventive muse and chase the almighty dollar. (May we all pause for a moment and thank the prog gods they didn't.) I deem this track pathetic schlock. Moore steps back up to the mike to croon "Just One Night," a ditty that may've been written with Michael Bolton in mind. It's a pedestrian power ballad signifying nothing. Next comes a short instrumental, "Embujo," and wow, that detour into Tijuana really paid off for you guys, huh? I will grant them this, though. At least they display a modicum of inspiration even if it's only for a few minutes. "Play With the Fire" sports the tired boogie rock beat that I so despise because it unfailingly wears out its welcome in a nanosecond and then you're stuck with it for the duration. The song's words must've been assembled from a dollar store rhyming dictionary with no regard for content whatsoever. Emmett does get to show off his fretboard tapping technique at one point but it comes off cheesy and patronizing. The name they stuck on "Don't Love Anybody But Me" is as insipid as their designation as a prog-related band. This tune is so commercial that it should have a price tag hanging off it.

In their defense putting out this brand of rock & roll is the trap that a great number of their peers stepped into during that dismal decade so perhaps they simply fell victim to a fatal strain of the MTV virus that sapped them of all progressive tendencies. I have no doubt they were giving it all they had but it's like trying to make a cake without flour. A vital ingredient was missing. As I said before, they could've been leaning in a prog direction in their early years but nothing I've heard so far convinces me that they should be given the time of day by any serious progger. 0.7 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1105516) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 02, 2014

Post a review of TRIUMPH "The Sport of Kings"