THE SPORT OF KINGS

Triumph

Triumph The Sport of Kings album cover

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

1. Tears in the Rain (3:55)
2. Somebody's Out There (4:04)
3. What Rules My Heart (3:52)
4. If Only (4:00)
5. Hooked on You (3:22)
6. Take a Stand (4:33)
7. Just One Night (3:40)
8. Embrujo (1:29)
9. Play With the Fire (5:18)
10. Don't Love Anybody Else But Me (3:55)
11. In the Middle of the Night (4:34)

Total Time: (42:41)

- Lou Pomanti / keys
- Johnny Rutledge / vocals

1986: Triumph/ TRC
2005: CD TRC #78009

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings Music

Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
TML Entertainment 2010
Just a GameJust a Game
Allied ForcesAllied Forces
Thunder SevenThunder Seven
SurveillanceSurveillance
Tml Entertainment 2005
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
Progressions of PowerProgressions of Power
Sport of KingsSport of Kings
ClassicsClassics
Tml Entertainment 2007
Never SurrenderNever Surrender
Frog Eyes / Paul's Tomb: A Triumph (CD 2010) US $7.25 Buy It Now 1h 5m
EMI DIGITAL LORD BERNERS The Triumph of Neptune etc WORDSWORTH US $14.19 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Stages by Triumph Brand New US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
TRIUMPH 1987 Surveillance MCA MCAD-42083 First Press NO BOOT No Remaster US $19.99 [0 bids]
WHILE HEAVEN WEPT - TRIUMPH:TRAGEDY:TRANSCENDENCE: LIVE AT THE - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.80 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Rhapsody of Fire: Triumph or Agony (2006) CD TAIWAN US $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
TRIUMPH CLASSICS CASSETTE US $1.59 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Grade , Audio CD, Triumph & Tragedy US $7.09 Buy It Now 2h 32m
PROMO WHITE LABEL TRIUMPH ROCK & ROLL MACHINE US $99.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
TRIUMPH - EXTENDED VERSIONS NEW CD US $10.52 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Grand Magus ?- Triumph And Power LP Brand New Sealed GREEN VINYL + POSTER 2014 US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Waipara Tama - Triumph Of Time NEW CD US $17.41 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Original Broadway Cast - Triumph Of Love NEW CD US $17.41 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Triumph "Just A Game" Vinyl LP Record Album US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Goddess Of Desire - Symbol Of Triumph / TH Cassette US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Triumph Progressions Of Power Cassette Tape 1986 MCA MCAC-1453 Remastered Rock US $4.49 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Triumph Allied Forces Cassette Tape 1981 Canada Canadian Progressive Hard Rock US $4.49 Buy It Now 4h 54m
Triumph - Thunder Seven - Vinyl LP US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
The Triumph of Sisyphus by Pluto Gang US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Brad is sex Triumph of good 12" in shrink with 7" numbered 332 Rare Indie US $4.99 [0 bids]
Triumph THUNDER SEVEN LP - NM 1984 MCA RECORDS MCA-5537 US $21.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
MICHAEL JACKSON MINT BOXED DOLL NON SINGING BLACK OR WHITE 1995 TRIUMPH SUPERB US $33.57 [0 bids]
Songs Of Triumph and Joy - Word - WST-8543 - Youth For Christ Presents US $3.29 Buy It Now 6h 7m
/////////////TRIUMPH//////PROGRESSIONS OF POWER/////// US $4.76 Buy It Now 6h 22m
Homage To Haydn/Triumph Of Sai - Orchestra Louisville New & Sealed CD US $17.51 Buy It Now 6h 49m
The Triumph Of Love - Camerata Trajectina NEW CD US $20.07 Buy It Now 6h 54m
NEW - Such Triumph by Narrator US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h
TRIUMPH: Allied Forces CD+OBI JAPAN 1981 MINT Very Rare 1st Pressing US $69.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
TRIUMPH: Never Surrender CD+OBI JAPAN 1986 MINT Very Rare 1st Pressing US $69.99 Buy It Now 7h 15m
Lot of 5 Vinyl LPs - Triumph - Keel x2 - Dio - White Wolf US $8.99 [1 bids]
THE HISS Triumph Limited 7 Inch Red Vinyl Single US $11.74 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Allied Forces Triumph CD US $10.51 Buy It Now 7h 37m
Mortification Triumph Of Mercy CD 1998 Metal Blade US $2.99 [0 bids]
Triumph (Brazil) - Dominium:Torment to He - black metal US $6.00 Buy It Now 8h 6m
TRIUMPH STAGES 2 LP VINYL LIVE ORIG. GATEFOLD PRESS 1985 CANADA ROCK US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 10m
VINYL 45 & Picture Sleeve Triumph - Somebody's Out There US $10.99 Buy It Now 8h 34m
Triumph/Praying mantis/Dedringer-1980 magazine advert US $8.38 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Triumph Allied Forces 8 Track Tape with sleeve tested US $20.00 Buy It Now 9h 56m
QRUJHUK Triumph of the Glorious Blasphemy CD Korean Black Metal Infinite Hatred US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 15m
LOT OF (10) CASSETTE TAPES AEROSMITH MEATLOAF DIRE STRAITS NILSSON TRIUMPH US $8.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH "SOMEBODY OUT THERE" / "WHAT RULES MY HEART" 7" PICTURE SLEEVE 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 11h 3m
PHILIP BAILEY "NM WAX" Triumph C28Y3141 OBI LP u0792 US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 31m
Triumph by The Jacksons (CD, Oct-1990, Epic (USA)) US $4.35 [0 bids]
Allied Forces Triumph CD US $2.24 [3 bids]
Progressions of Power Triumph CD US $2.24 [2 bids]
Triumph Vinyl LPs ~ Never Surrender/Rock & Roll Machine/Progressions of Power ~ US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 11m
THE CLEE-SHAYS 45 The Man from U.N.C.L.E. / Dynamite TRIUMPH Garage VG++ #CC144 US $30.00 Buy It Now 13h 11m
Triumph Rock N Roll Machine 12" Record 1977 Emmett Moore Levine US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 40m
ANOTHER TRUMPET TRIUMPH FOR ALL HIRT VINYL LP RECORD US $2.50 Buy It Now 13h 50m
TRIUMPH SURVEILLANCE JAPAN US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 54m
Rik Emmett The Spiral Notebook CD 1995 solo Triumph GTR US $1.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - A WORLD OF FANTASY / FIGHT A GOOD FIGHT - POLYDOR 12' SINGLE US $5.00 Buy It Now 15h 12m
MICHAEL JACKSON THE JACKSONS TRIUMPH RARE LP record vinyl INDIA INDIAN 161 VG+ US $79.99 [0 bids]
1st Avenue - Tears And Triumph (CD, 1992, Europe) RARE US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 44m
TRIUMPH - NEVER SURRENDER - NEW CD US $10.47 Buy It Now 15h 53m
MANOWAR - THE TRIUMPH OF STEEL US $45.00 [0 bids]
Albums: Jackson Family album "The Jackson's Triumph" (1980) and The Jacksons's G US $0.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH-PROGRESSIONS OF POWER-JAPAN MINI LP CD Fi83 US $39.99 Buy It Now 18h 38m
Bjork-Triumph Of A Heart (CD 1 and 2 SINGLE PACKAGE) US $8.31 Buy It Now 18h 55m
Joe Meek Work in Progress The Triumph Sessions CD 27 Rare Tracks Brand New US $14.99 Buy It Now 19h 9m
TRIUMPH - The Sport Of Kings - 1987 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.56 Buy It Now 20h 23m
Warlock - Triumph And Agony (2011) - Used - Compact Disc US $6.91 Buy It Now 22h 21m
Triumph Of Lethargy Skinned Alive To Death - Some Of Us Are In This Tog [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 22h 27m
Lord Bernes - Triumph of Neptune/Fugue -Nicholas Nickleby - Incidental Music/etc US $4.67 Buy It Now 22h 32m
TRIUMPH - JUST A GAME - NEW CD US $10.47 Buy It Now 23h 23m
TRIUMPH - CLASSICS [TRIUMPH] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $11.13 Buy It Now 23h 25m
FERENCE NEMETH - TRIUMPH NEW CD US $16.26 Buy It Now 23h 28m
TRIUMPH Progressions Of Power ORIG LP Rush Riot NWOBHM US $18.47 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH-JUST A GAME-JAPAN Ltd.Ed MINI LP CD 0512 Fi83 US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH S/T ATTIC 76 CANADA IMPORT HEAVY METAL TRIO PSYCHEDELIC COVER MINT LP US $19.99 [1 bids]
TRIUMPH "ROCK & ROLL MACHINE" ATTIC LAT 1036 77 CANADA IMPORT HEAVY METAL LP US $19.99 [1 bids]
Never Surrender by Triumph (CD, 1984 ORIGINAL RELEASE-NOT REMASTERED) US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH Stages 1985 MCA ORIG DOUBLE LIVE 2LP ROCK METAL ALBUM NICE EXCELLENT US $8.83 Buy It Now 1 day
Iuvenes-Triumph of the Will Patch infernal!!!!! US $2.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Thunder Seven - Triumph (2004, CD New) US $6.88 Buy It Now 1 day
The Jacksons. Triumph. LP Vinyl Record 1980 US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Grand Magus - Triumph & And Power (NEW CD) US $16.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Nox Aurea - Ascending In Triumph (NEW CD) US $17.20 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - Classics (Best Hits) Emmett US $6.00 [0 bids]
Greatest Hits: Remixed by Triumph (CD, May-2010, 2 Discs, TML Entertainment... US $10.29 [3 bids]
RARE MINNESOTA HIP-HOP LOT 3 CD'S LAST TRIUMPH 5 CUT E.P. US $9.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Tessier-Ashpool - Rhythm Interuptus - Triumph #236741 US $8.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Interlect 3000 - Volcano - Triumph - 1993 #403001 US $8.38 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH ~ Thunder Seven LP 1984 EXC! US $3.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Extended Versions by Triumph (CD, Oct-2006, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) US $3.44 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH SELF TITLED UK LP US $13.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Nocturnal Breed: Triumph Of The Blasphemer CD 2005 Painkiller Recs PKR-039 NEW US $16.95 Buy It Now 1 day
the hiss - triumph - 7" vinyl single - red vinyl US $15.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Qrujhuk Triumph Of The Glorious Blasphemy cd US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph Vinyl LP RCA Records 1979 (2nd press, 198?), AYL1-4784, Just a Game US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
12 Various Vinyl Records: Styx, Triumph, Polly and Her Pop US $4.00 [0 bids]
Gospel Greats, Vol. 10: Songs of Triumph (CD, Jan-20... US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CBS 61431 Lord Berners The Triumph Of Neptune Thomas Beecham 1974 NM/VG Mono LP US $10.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph "Just A Game" 1979 Rock LP, RCA, VG+, Vinyl US $3.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph Thunder Seven CD US $8.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Prefab Sprout Triumph Motorcycle Record LP Cover Epic 1985 US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH *DJ COPY* "ALL THE WAY" 45 RPM US $3.49 Buy It Now 1 day
VINTAGE TRIUMPH - ALLIED FORCES - RCA VICTOR RECORDS VINYL LP - VG++ CONDITION!! US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Harrison Birtwistle - : The Triumph of Time (2012) cd digipak -new -freefastpost US $11.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph, Surveillance Promotional Copy US $15.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(17%)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings reviews

Review by Sinusoid
1 stars I didn't really know that much about Triumph when I found this album in my uncle's vinyl collection. I had maybe heard one or two songs on the radio but dismissed them as just another rock band that kind of sounds like early Rush. That sound was what I was expecting when I put the needle down on THE SPORT OF KINGS; needless to say, the album didn't have that sound, but the sound I did hear wasn't pleasing to my ears.

I could give a track by track explanation into the fabric of the album, but what would be the point? Think of the most stereotypical 80's pop-rock album complete with sappy love lyrics, AOR power guitars and poppy synths, and that pretty much takes care of the ten tracks beyond the three minute mark. I am more reminded of Steve Perry's Journey rather than early Rush, but I honestly don't have much affinity for the former band.

The only track I can really stomach is the short, guitar piece ''Embrujo''; it's sort of a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the album. It's not a great guitar thing, especially when I've heard a few other guitar pieces like the ones from Tony Iommi.

On the whole, the album is drab to my ears. Progressive rock contents are extremely minimal if not completely absent. Only proggers with a sweet tooth for AOR-pop stuff should be interested in this album.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#242202) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Review by Chicapah
1 stars Call me a glutton for aural punishment but I assure you that I'm not a masochist. I've found that in Progland there are not only glorious peaks to admire but shadowy valleys and a lot of in-between plateaus to navigate and explore so, as a reviewer, I must honestly rate the product manufactured by its inhabitants accordingly. A few years back an assortment of albums by Triumph came into my possession and I finally got around to giving the group a listen in hopes of discovering some savory prog rock to chew on. Unfortunately I'm finding that instead of steak and lobster I'm being presented with unseasoned cauliflower and beets. I started with their '81 release, "Allied Forces," and by the final cut I thought it should've been called "Let's do what those other guys are doing" instead because rarely have I heard anything so imitative and mimicking in my life. However, being the forgiving sort that's ever willing to give artists another chance to redeem themselves (even the best lay a rotten egg from time to time) I gave their "Sport of Kings" from '86 an unbiased spin. The good news is that it's not quite as despicable as the aforementioned turd. The bad news is that the improvement is negligible.

They open with "Tears in the Rain," a pop rock song indistinguishable from the lame offerings of a thousand other groups that swarmed like flies on a week-old wildebeest carcass in the mid 80s. Think Jefferson Starship mating with Toto and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this track sounds like especially since drummer Gil Moore could've been the shrill vocalist Mickey Thomas' stand-in. "Somebody's Out There" is next and it would've fit into the soundtracks for "Footloose" or "Flashdance" perfectly. It's slick as a quart of Quaker State, formulaic to the nth degree and contains incredibly vapid lyrics that were probably jotted down on a coffee-stained Denny's napkin at the eleventh hour. Scorpions come to mind on "What Rules My Heart" and I don't mean that to be a compliment. This is a prime example of faux metal and it's so blatantly derivative as to be a disgrace. My guess is the answer to the tune's title is "an insatiable yearning for a Top 40 hit single." "If Only" follows and to that I'd add in parentheses "we had an atom of originality." I'll concede that singer/guitarist Rik Emmett owns an impressively strong set of lungs and if there'd been an American Idol competition in those days he might've made the judges drool all over themselves but maybe he was just born too soon for such a fate. As for this particular number I find no redeeming qualities to report. "Hooked on You" is as banal as its moniker suggests and even though I hate to keep making comparisons this is an obvious rip off of the "rawk" hairballs Billy Squier was repeatedly coughing up in that era. The trio tosses in a few audio tricks to try to fool us into thinking they're clever but they're woefully ineffective.

Their mutual Canadian upbringing notwithstanding, "Take a Stand" is most likely what Rush would've sounded like if they'd decided to abandon their inventive muse and chase the almighty dollar. (May we all pause for a moment and thank the prog gods they didn't.) I deem this track pathetic schlock. Moore steps back up to the mike to croon "Just One Night," a ditty that may've been written with Michael Bolton in mind. It's a pedestrian power ballad signifying nothing. Next comes a short instrumental, "Embujo," and wow, that detour into Tijuana really paid off for you guys, huh? I will grant them this, though. At least they display a modicum of inspiration even if it's only for a few minutes. "Play With the Fire" sports the tired boogie rock beat that I so despise because it unfailingly wears out its welcome in a nanosecond and then you're stuck with it for the duration. The song's words must've been assembled from a dollar store rhyming dictionary with no regard for content whatsoever. Emmett does get to show off his fretboard tapping technique at one point but it comes off cheesy and patronizing. The name they stuck on "Don't Love Anybody But Me" is as insipid as their designation as a prog-related band. This tune is so commercial that it should have a price tag hanging off it.

In their defense putting out this brand of rock & roll is the trap that a great number of their peers stepped into during that dismal decade so perhaps they simply fell victim to a fatal strain of the MTV virus that sapped them of all progressive tendencies. I have no doubt they were giving it all they had but it's like trying to make a cake without flour. A vital ingredient was missing. As I said before, they could've been leaning in a prog direction in their early years but nothing I've heard so far convinces me that they should be given the time of day by any serious progger. 0.7 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1105516) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 02, 2014

Post a review of TRIUMPH "The Sport of Kings"