THE SPORT OF KINGS

Triumph The Sport Of Kings album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1986

1. Tears In The Rain (3:55)
2. Somebody's Out There (4:04)
3. What Rules My Heart (3:52)
4. If Only (4:00)
5. Hooked On You (3:22)
6. Take A Stand (4:33)
7. Just One Night (3:40)
8. Embrujo (1:29)
9. Play With The Fire (5:18)
10. Don't Love Anybody Else But Me (3:55)
11. In The Middle Of The Night (4:34)

- Rik Emmett / guitars, Synclavier, Fairlight, lead vocals (2,4-6,9-11)
- Michael Levine / bass, keyboards
- Gil Moore / drums, percussion, lead vocals (1,3,5,7)

With:
- Lou Pomanti / keyboards, synth programming
- Scott Humphrey / keyboards, synth programming
- Michael Boddicker / keyboards, synth programming
- Neil Donell / backing vocals
- Johnny Rutledge / backing vocals
- David Blamires / backing vocals

Artwork: Tommy Steele

LP MCA Records ‎- MCA 5786 (1986, Canada)

CD TRC Records ‎- TRCD 6209 (1986, Canada)
CD TRC Records ‎- TRBD6209 (1995, Canada)
CD TML Entertainment ‎- TML 78009 (2004, Canada) Remastered by Brett Zilahi

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings Music

The Sport of KingsThe Sport of Kings
Remastered
ROUND HILL/TRIUMPH CATALOG 2017
$6.75
Sport of Kings by TRIUMPH (2005-04-12)Sport of Kings by TRIUMPH (2005-04-12)
Tml Entertainment
$18.12

Triumph - The Sport Of Kings CD 1986 TRC Records USD $17.22 Buy It Now
Rik Emmett Rare Signed Triumph The Sport Of Kings Vinyl LP Record + COA Photo USD $99.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Rock Lp Triumph The Sport Of Kings On Mca USD $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 52m
The Sport of Kings by Triumph (CD, Sep-1995, TRC Distribution) RIK EMMETT USD $6.25 Buy It Now 11h 19m
Triumph The Sport Of Kings Cd MCA 1986 Good USD $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 36m
2 TRIUMPH Thunder 12" LP Thunder Seven & The Sport of Kings Classic Hard Rock USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph, The Sport of Kings, LP 1986 MCA Records USD $6.59 Buy It Now 2 days
TRIUMPH - The Sport Of Kings - 1987 Magazine Advertisment Poster USD $6.04 Buy It Now 2 days
Triumph The Sport of Kings 254258-1 Tears in the Rain If Only Vinyl Record USD $36.07 Buy It Now 3 days
the sport of kings LP, TRIUMPH,Excellent, (NM-) This record won't be perfect an USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
TRIUMPH - THE SPORT OF KINGS [REMASTER] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $8.79 Buy It Now 5 days
TRIUMPH 'THE SPORT OF KINGS' RECORD ALBUM in EXCELLENT+ cond USD $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings JAPAN CD PSCW-5331 1995 USD $58.70 Buy It Now 5 days
TRIUMPH - Sport Of Kings [CD New] - Remastered USD $14.10 Buy It Now 6 days
Triumph CD The Sport Of Kings ? Somebody's Out There ? 1986 MCAD-5786 Japan USD $12.00 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMPH Tape Cassette THE SPORTS OF KINGS 1986 Mca Records Canada MCAC-5786 USD $7.27 Buy It Now 7 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings CD 1986 MCA Records ORG MCAD 5786 Rik Emmett Canada USD $7.99 Buy It Now 7 days
TRIUMPH SPORTS OF KING - SURVEILLANCE 2 CD ALBUMS - ***2 FOR 1*** USD $7.75 Buy It Now 7 days
Triumph The Sport of Kings LP Vinyl Album 1986 MCA MCA-5786 USD $7.05 Buy It Now 8 days
LP< USD $15.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Triumph - 4 x LP / Record Sport of Kings, Just a Game, Progression of Power + 1 USD $13.41 Buy It Now 8 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings CD MCAD-5786 JVC-540 JAPAN USD $22.86 Buy It Now 8 days
TRIUMPH-THE SPORT OF KINGS-MCA 5786 VG+/VG+ LP USD $7.48 Buy It Now 9 days
The Sport of Kings Triumph 12" LP Album 1986 MCA #MCA5786 Promo USD $12.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Triumph ?- The Sport Of Kings P-13366 Japan Insert Obi Near Mint USD $22.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Triumph ~ The Sport of Kings Original Studio Album Vinyl 12" LP (1986) USD $16.10 Buy It Now 10 days
TRIUMPH "The Sport Of Kings" NEW (CD, 1986/2017) USD $13.99 Buy It Now 10 days
TRIUMPH-SPORT OF KINGS (RMST) CD NEW USD $10.27 Buy It Now 10 days
Triumph "Sport Of Kings" USD $6.39 Buy It Now 11 days
Triumph - The Sport of Kings (MCA 5786) ('86) (Rik Emmett) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 11 days
TRIUMPH, The Sport of Kings [with hype sticker] NEW OLD STOCK SEALED USA LP USD $13.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Triumph "The Sport of Kings" 1986 12" NM Vinyl Record USD $10.00 Buy It Now 12 days
Triumph CASSETTE NEW The Sport Of Kings USD $20.00 Buy It Now 12 days
ROCK METAL TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS MASTERDISK MASTER LP RECORD VG+ PROMO USD $13.00 Buy It Now 13 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings MCAC5786 Cassette Tape USD $7.75 Buy It Now 13 days
inma used cassette tape Triumph - The Sport of Kings (1986 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 14 days
20/9/86pg16 Album Advert 15x10" Triumph, The Sport Of Kings USD $33.55 Buy It Now 14 days
the sport of kings LP, TRIUMPH,Very Good, vinyl with cover art- VG/VG-aged coll USD $12.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Triumph 3 Cassette Lot - The Sport of Kings SURVEILLANCE Never Surrender USD $8.99 Buy It Now 15 days
@ CD TRIUMPH - THE SPORT OF KINGS / TRC RECORDS 1986 / MELODIC AOR CANADA USD $9.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Triumph The sport of kings USD $3.12 Buy It Now 16 days
Triumph - Sport Of Kings (CD Used Like New) USD $7.97 Buy It Now 17 days
Triumph ~ The Sport of Kings/ Japan LP/ OBI Sheet USD $16.99 Buy It Now 18 days
TRIUMPH cd SPORT OF KINGS trc reissue free US shipping USD $15.00 Buy It Now 19 days
TRIUMPH - THE SPORT OF KINGS [REMASTER] NEW CD USD $9.96 Buy It Now 19 days
Triumph - Sport of Kings [New SEALDED CD] TRC CANADA IMPORT USD $6.99 Buy It Now 19 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings Cassette Tape RARE USD $2.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Triumph - The Sport of Kings (1986, Cassette) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Triumph - Sport of Kings [New CD] Rmst USD $9.97 Buy It Now 20 days
Triumph - Sport of Kings [New CD] Rmst USD $12.98 Buy It Now 20 days
Triumph - The Sport of Kings (1986, LP) USD $8.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Triumph - Sport of Kings CD NEW USD $15.44 Buy It Now 20 days
TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings (CD) CANADA Millennium Remastered Series TML 78009 USD $12.34 Buy It Now 21 days
TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings MCAC5786 Cassette Tape USD $5.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Triumph-The Sport Of Kings 12" LP MCA-5786 Rock 1986 In Shrink Near Mint USD $12.99 Buy It Now 21 days
The Sport of Kings [Remaster] by Triumph (CD, Apr-2005, TRC Distribution) USD $11.79 Buy It Now 22 days
TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS 1986 12" LP NEAR MINT CONDITION USD $30.00 Buy It Now 23 days
Triumph "Sport of Kings" LP USD $4.95 Buy It Now 24 days
Triumph The Sport Of Kings Lp Vinyl Free Shipping USD $10.00 Buy It Now 25 days
Triumph The Sport of Kings NM vinyl Rare In shrink ( orig. ) USD $34.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings Japan CD HTF Clean OOP USD $11.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Triumph - The Sport Of Kings Japan CD Rush Iron Maiden Saxon Helix Allied Forces USD $16.72 Buy It Now 26 days
Triumph-The Sport Of Kings-1986-Cassette Tape USD $5.99 Buy It Now 27 days
TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF KINGS record album LP USD $5.99 Buy It Now 27 days
TRIUMPH 2 CD The sport of kings 86 (manuf. in Japan) + Surveillance 1987 on MCA USD $24.65 Buy It Now 29 days
TRIUMPH ~ THE SPORT OF KINGS VINYL RECORD LP / 1986 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(14%)

TRIUMPH The Sport Of Kings reviews

Review by Sinusoid
1 stars I didn't really know that much about Triumph when I found this album in my uncle's vinyl collection. I had maybe heard one or two songs on the radio but dismissed them as just another rock band that kind of sounds like early Rush. That sound was what I was expecting when I put the needle down on THE SPORT OF KINGS; needless to say, the album didn't have that sound, but the sound I did hear wasn't pleasing to my ears.

I could give a track by track explanation into the fabric of the album, but what would be the point? Think of the most stereotypical 80's pop-rock album complete with sappy love lyrics, AOR power guitars and poppy synths, and that pretty much takes care of the ten tracks beyond the three minute mark. I am more reminded of Steve Perry's Journey rather than early Rush, but I honestly don't have much affinity for the former band.

The only track I can really stomach is the short, guitar piece ''Embrujo''; it's sort of a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the album. It's not a great guitar thing, especially when I've heard a few other guitar pieces like the ones from Tony Iommi.

On the whole, the album is drab to my ears. Progressive rock contents are extremely minimal if not completely absent. Only proggers with a sweet tooth for AOR-pop stuff should be interested in this album.

Review by Chicapah
1 stars Call me a glutton for aural punishment but I assure you that I'm not a masochist. I've found that in Progland there are not only glorious peaks to admire but shadowy valleys and a lot of in-between plateaus to navigate and explore so, as a reviewer, I must honestly rate the product manufactured by its inhabitants accordingly. A few years back an assortment of albums by Triumph came into my possession and I finally got around to giving the group a listen in hopes of discovering some savory prog rock to chew on. Unfortunately I'm finding that instead of steak and lobster I'm being presented with unseasoned cauliflower and beets. I started with their '81 release, "Allied Forces," and by the final cut I thought it should've been called "Let's do what those other guys are doing" instead because rarely have I heard anything so imitative and mimicking in my life. However, being the forgiving sort that's ever willing to give artists another chance to redeem themselves (even the best lay a rotten egg from time to time) I gave their "Sport of Kings" from '86 an unbiased spin. The good news is that it's not quite as despicable as the aforementioned turd. The bad news is that the improvement is negligible.

They open with "Tears in the Rain," a pop rock song indistinguishable from the lame offerings of a thousand other groups that swarmed like flies on a week-old wildebeest carcass in the mid 80s. Think Jefferson Starship mating with Toto and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this track sounds like especially since drummer Gil Moore could've been the shrill vocalist Mickey Thomas' stand-in. "Somebody's Out There" is next and it would've fit into the soundtracks for "Footloose" or "Flashdance" perfectly. It's slick as a quart of Quaker State, formulaic to the nth degree and contains incredibly vapid lyrics that were probably jotted down on a coffee-stained Denny's napkin at the eleventh hour. Scorpions come to mind on "What Rules My Heart" and I don't mean that to be a compliment. This is a prime example of faux metal and it's so blatantly derivative as to be a disgrace. My guess is the answer to the tune's title is "an insatiable yearning for a Top 40 hit single." "If Only" follows and to that I'd add in parentheses "we had an atom of originality." I'll concede that singer/guitarist Rik Emmett owns an impressively strong set of lungs and if there'd been an American Idol competition in those days he might've made the judges drool all over themselves but maybe he was just born too soon for such a fate. As for this particular number I find no redeeming qualities to report. "Hooked on You" is as banal as its moniker suggests and even though I hate to keep making comparisons this is an obvious rip off of the "rawk" hairballs Billy Squier was repeatedly coughing up in that era. The trio tosses in a few audio tricks to try to fool us into thinking they're clever but they're woefully ineffective.

Their mutual Canadian upbringing notwithstanding, "Take a Stand" is most likely what Rush would've sounded like if they'd decided to abandon their inventive muse and chase the almighty dollar. (May we all pause for a moment and thank the prog gods they didn't.) I deem this track pathetic schlock. Moore steps back up to the mike to croon "Just One Night," a ditty that may've been written with Michael Bolton in mind. It's a pedestrian power ballad signifying nothing. Next comes a short instrumental, "Embujo," and wow, that detour into Tijuana really paid off for you guys, huh? I will grant them this, though. At least they display a modicum of inspiration even if it's only for a few minutes. "Play With the Fire" sports the tired boogie rock beat that I so despise because it unfailingly wears out its welcome in a nanosecond and then you're stuck with it for the duration. The song's words must've been assembled from a dollar store rhyming dictionary with no regard for content whatsoever. Emmett does get to show off his fretboard tapping technique at one point but it comes off cheesy and patronizing. The name they stuck on "Don't Love Anybody But Me" is as insipid as their designation as a prog-related band. This tune is so commercial that it should have a price tag hanging off it.

In their defense putting out this brand of rock & roll is the trap that a great number of their peers stepped into during that dismal decade so perhaps they simply fell victim to a fatal strain of the MTV virus that sapped them of all progressive tendencies. I have no doubt they were giving it all they had but it's like trying to make a cake without flour. A vital ingredient was missing. As I said before, they could've been leaning in a prog direction in their early years but nothing I've heard so far convinces me that they should be given the time of day by any serious progger. 0.7 stars.

3 stars I feel really embarrassed with some of the reviews on this band. Actually, these reviews and the overall abyssal ratings detracted me from trying Triumph again after something like a thirty years hiatus. Fortunately, traveling from link to link on Youtube, I happened to stumble upon some Trium ... (read more)

Report this review (#1340915) | Posted by Bupie | Tuesday, January 6, 2015 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "The Sport Of Kings"