THE SPORT OF KINGS

Triumph

Triumph The Sport of Kings album cover

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

1. Tears in the Rain (3:55)
2. Somebody's Out There (4:04)
3. What Rules My Heart (3:52)
4. If Only (4:00)
5. Hooked on You (3:22)
6. Take a Stand (4:33)
7. Just One Night (3:40)
8. Embrujo (1:29)
9. Play With the Fire (5:18)
10. Don't Love Anybody Else But Me (3:55)
11. In the Middle of the Night (4:34)

Total Time: (42:41)

- Lou Pomanti / keys
- Johnny Rutledge / vocals

1986: Triumph/ TRC
2005: CD TRC #78009

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings Music

Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
Rock N Roll MachineRock N Roll Machine
In the BeginningIn the Beginning
Sport of KingsSport of Kings
Tml Entertainment 2005
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
Hot Shower (Slade, Triumph, Alkatrazz, Heaven...) comp. import vinyl LP '82 US $9.99 Buy It Now 53m 56s
Come Poop with Me [PA] by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (CD, Nov-2003, Warner... US $6.99 [0 bids]
58m 53s
Triumph [Digipak] by Circle (CD, Nov-2009, 2 Discs, Fourth Dimension) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
TRIUMPH - Progressions of Power 1980 HARD ROCK w/ INNER US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
TRIUMPH ROCK ROLL MACHINE CASSETTE SEALED ? ? US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Triumph - Never Surrender LP Record 1983 US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Revenge Triumph Patch Order From Chaos Angelcorpse Slayer Black Death Metal US $7.50 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Santers-Guitar Alley RARE CD 2009 Remaster AOR Triumph April Wine Honeymoon Suit US $9.99 [0 bids]
SAGA "Marathon" Import CD SPV PROG (Rush, FM, Styx, Jadis, Cairo, Yes, Triumph) US $14.99 [0 bids]
Revenge Triumph Genocide Antichrist/ Rare underground cd US $1.99 [0 bids]
triumph never surrender record US $2.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH Rock & Roll Machine. Canada Rockers. 1978 RCA Vinyl LP Mint! US $14.88 Buy It Now 3h 24m
45 RPM GARAGE PHYCHE ARCH OF TRIUMPH RADIO STATION COPY MY YEAR IS A DAY NM- US $12.00 [0 bids]
The Triumph of Steel by Manowar (CD, Oct-1992, Atlantic Label) US $3.25 [2 bids]
TRIUMPH: Album Oriented Rock N' Roll (allied Forces) (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 28m
TRIUMPH/somebody's out there/1986 12" single US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 44m
TRIUMPH: Progressions Of Power LP RCA RECORDS AYL14561 US 1980 VG+ US $6.29 Buy It Now 4h 45m
WHILE HEAVEN WEPT - TRIUMPH: TRAGEDY: TRANSCENDENCE (+DVD) NEW CD US $24.35 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Triumph-Thunder Seven-LP-Vinyl Record-OGSleeve-MCA-MCA5537-VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
WINTERFYLLETH - THRENODY OF TRIUMPH NEW VINYL US $39.44 Buy It Now 5h 23m
TRIUMPH STAGES JAPAN US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 29m
CD: Triumph - Just A Game US $10.54 Buy It Now 6h 5m
CD: Triumph - Never Surrender US $9.14 Buy It Now 6h 13m
CD: Triumph - The Sport Of Kings US $8.44 Buy It Now 6h 19m
WARLOCK-TRIUMPH AND AGONY-MERCURY RECORDS-1987-LP. LOOKS BRAND NEW US $36.00 Buy It Now 6h 25m
Triumph - Never Surrender US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h
Vintage 78 rpm "On a Note of Triumph" by Norman Corwin, Columbia, MM-575, 1945 US $99.95 Buy It Now 7h 19m
VG++ TRIUMPH NEVER SURRENDER VG++ LP RCA AFL1-4382 US $4.98 Buy It Now 8h 12m
TRIUMPH SPORT OF KINGS 1986 LP MCA 5786 US $3.98 Buy It Now 8h 19m
TRIUMPH "Just A Game" (CD) HEAVY ROCK Classic US $13.10 Buy It Now 8h 25m
TRIUMPH Thunder Seven JAPAN LP w/OBI l19825 US $10.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Anthro Halaust - Triumph of Satan CD US $16.75 Buy It Now 9h 39m
CLASSICS FOR ETERNITY *** 3 X CD SET new *** inspiration tranquillity triumph US $18.74 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Winterfylleth - Threnody Of Triumph LP Vinyl Record US $33.24 Buy It Now 11h 43m
Manowar - Cassette tape BULGARIA RARE Unison records Triumph of steel US $22.99 Buy It Now 12h 41m
PHILIP BAILEY Japan LP with OBI, TRIUMPH US $11.99 Buy It Now 13h 24m
UNKNOWN PEOPLE - TRIUMPH [EP] (828600404925) - NEW CD US $11.93 Buy It Now 13h 27m
TRIUMPH (CANADIAN ROCK/METAL GROUP) progressions of power LP 9 track deletion cu US $8.52 Buy It Now 13h 57m
1984 NM Ltd Ed Colored Vinyl 7" Single 45 RPM, Triumph, "Follow Your Heart" US $9.99 [0 bids]
JIMMY (NIGHT TRAIN) FOREST COCKTAILS FOR TWO/ NIGHT FLIGHT 45 VINYL TRIUMPH US $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 14m
6 METAL ALBUMS RAINBOW, ONLY CHILD, TRIUMPH AND KROKUS NICE ! US $9.99 [1 bids]
Triumph of Steel [VINYL] * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $28.36 Buy It Now 14h 52m
KOSCAK YAMADA /TRIUMPH AND PEACE1912 w/OBI JPN SJX-1170 US $21.00 Buy It Now 15h 20m
Triumph - Thunder Seven LP Vinyl record VG+ US $3.99 Buy It Now 15h 35m
TRIUMPH-ALLIED FORCES-JAPAN Ltd.Ed MINI LP CD 0512 Fi83 US $35.50 Buy It Now 15h 41m
Sheila Walsh - Triumph In The Air - LP US $2.50 Buy It Now 15h 45m
TRIUMPH-I LIVE FOR THE WEEKEND 1980 RCA PROMO 7" US $6.81 Buy It Now 15h 56m
Joe Meek Triumph Session Work In Progress double LP Sealed Import US $27.97 Buy It Now 16h
BATTLESWORD - Failing In Triumph CD Neon Knights 2003 RARE Melodic Death Metal US $7.99 Buy It Now 16h 18m
Triumph_MAGAZINE CLIPPINGS CUTTINGS_ships from AUSTRALIA! bs1 US $10.30 Buy It Now 16h 23m
Vintage Triumph Allied Forces Vinyl Record Lp with Original Sleeve 1981 VG 3902 US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 52m
Warlock - Triumph and Agony 1987 Metal vinyl record. From Germany US $12.00 Buy It Now 17h 13m
Triumph / The Sport Of Kings / VG++ MCA-5786 / Mike Clink, Rik Emmett, M Levine US $4.29 Buy It Now 17h 41m
TRIUMPH Somebodys Out There bw Rules My Heart 45 rpm Vinyl Record Jukebox US $4.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH "ALLIED FORCES" 1981 Record Album US $5.99 Buy It Now 17h 58m
D.O.A./ Triumph Of The Ignoroids/ Friends/ 1981 Pressing/ KBD/ NM US $39.95 Buy It Now 18h 12m
TRIUMPH - Classics (1989) OOP Cassette NEW US $24.98 Buy It Now 18h 37m
RARE OOP NOURISH THE FLAME TRIAL INTO TRIUMPH RARE OOP CD LOOK US $19.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Of The Spirit Soundtrack CD Cliff Eidelman RARE OOP US $12.99 [0 bids]
CD: Blade of Triumph - Iron Fire - Sealed US $15.34 Buy It Now 18h 58m
THE CHALLENGERS GO SIDEWALK SURFING LP TRIUMPH RECORDS MONO 723 US $35.99 Buy It Now 19h 8m
NEW - State of Triumph by Metalium US $13.95 Buy It Now 19h 24m
TRIUMPH LP-ALLIED FORCES/RCA VICTOR RECORDS, AFL1-3902 STEREO VG++ US $9.98 Buy It Now 19h 25m
Dark Triumph - The Life of Victoria Lancaster Smith, BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED CD US $11.78 Buy It Now 19h 34m
TRIUMPH-THE SPORT OF KINGS-MCA 5786 VG+/VG+ LP US $7.48 Buy It Now 19h 54m
TRIUMPH-SURVEILLANCE-MCA 42083 VG+/VG+ LP US $8.98 Buy It Now 19h 54m
TRIUMPH-PROGRESSIONS OF POWER--MCA 1453 NM/VG+ LP US $9.98 Buy It Now 19h 55m
TRIUMPH-JUST A GAME-MCA 37268 VG+/VG+ LP US $7.98 Buy It Now 19h 55m
THE JACKSONS / TRIUMPH / CASSETTE TAPE / CBS (UK) 1980 US $11.42 Buy It Now 20h 23m
Triumph - Rock And Roll Machine LP AFL1-2982 US $10.00 Buy It Now 20h 26m
Misanthropic Triumph / Ravendark's Monarchal Canticle: Breath Of Deadly Silence US $9.95 Buy It Now 20h 27m
TRIUMPH - HOLD ON MON / STEREO PROMO 45 RECORD US $2.75 [2 bids]
Rik Emmett ( Triumph guitarist ) - Swing Shift RARE OOP ORIG Canadian CD (Mint!) US $27.00 Buy It Now 21h 3m
TRIUMPH PROGRESSIONS OF POWER LP 1980 MCA RECORDS RARE HTF OOP RUSH US $7.00 [0 bids]
ADRIAN WESTNEY JR cd A Triumph of Grace PIANO VERY NICE US $14.95 Buy It Now 21h 23m
TRIUMPH - ROCK & ROLL MACHINE CD REMASTERED EDITION MINT US $8.95 [0 bids]
Triumph MCA Promo 45 Record #52898 VG+ PS Somebody's Out There US $6.00 Buy It Now 21h 37m
TRIUMPH - The Sport Of Kings CD Early Pressing JAPAN DISC Original MCA JVC 5786 US $2.99 [1 bids]
Triumph~The Sport Of Kings~1986 Canada MCA 5786 Cassette VG++ US $5.00 Buy It Now 22h 11m
Triumph- Surveillance- new/sealed cassette tape US $2.50 Buy It Now 22h 26m
Ipso Facto by Rik Emmett/Triumph/new cd/Japan issue same tracks US $50.00 Buy It Now 22h 49m
Ksak Yamada: Symphony in F major 'Triumph and Peace', New Music US $6.51 Buy It Now 22h 59m
Triumph Surveillance Vinyl LP Record Album US $15.99 Buy It Now 23h 3m
TRIUMPH"Thunder Seven & Just A Game PROMO"Two Album Lot NM-/NM- Vinyl US $13.25 [0 bids]
Permafrost Devil Worship Digi-CD (Blutrache, Menneskerhat, Triumph Genus) US $16.45 Buy It Now 23h 18m
ERIC STEEL infectious LP SEALED passport 1988 canada metal april wine triumph US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH outlaws STYX michael stanley HALL & OATES robert gordon POCO LP SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH OF DEATH"V/A"ORG cd Turbo 92,Acheron,Death Yell,Beherit,Carcass... US $24.99 Buy It Now 23h 57m
NM 1980 Triumph / Progressions of Power LP in shrink US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph * by Sharon MaRee NEW (CD, Mar-2009, T Records) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
triumph-mca-thunder seven-sealed US $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - ALLIED FORCES, AFL1-3902 RCA US $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - NEVER SURRENDER LP 1983 VG++ VINYL US $4.83 [0 bids]
Triumph / Classics US $3.99 [0 bids]
Triumph "Westwood One, Off The Record w/ Marry Turner" 5/6/85 (2) LP's US $38.95 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH usa dj 45 ALL THE WAY, RCA 13539, 1983 metal US $4.50 Buy It Now 1 day
SUGARCUBES Deus 12" Single One Little Indian 1988 U.K. Pressing JOHNNY TRIUMPH US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Come Poop With Me Triumph the insult comic dog with BONUS DVD 99 CENT CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE SPORT OF KINGS - TRIUMPH NEW FACTORY SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXELL Rock II Sampler RCA LP '80 OG Cello Triumph Airplay Robert Gordon NM US $2.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(10%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(15%)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings reviews

Review by Sinusoid
1 stars I didn't really know that much about Triumph when I found this album in my uncle's vinyl collection. I had maybe heard one or two songs on the radio but dismissed them as just another rock band that kind of sounds like early Rush. That sound was what I was expecting when I put the needle down on THE SPORT OF KINGS; needless to say, the album didn't have that sound, but the sound I did hear wasn't pleasing to my ears.

I could give a track by track explanation into the fabric of the album, but what would be the point? Think of the most stereotypical 80's pop-rock album complete with sappy love lyrics, AOR power guitars and poppy synths, and that pretty much takes care of the ten tracks beyond the three minute mark. I am more reminded of Steve Perry's Journey rather than early Rush, but I honestly don't have much affinity for the former band.

The only track I can really stomach is the short, guitar piece ''Embrujo''; it's sort of a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the album. It's not a great guitar thing, especially when I've heard a few other guitar pieces like the ones from Tony Iommi.

On the whole, the album is drab to my ears. Progressive rock contents are extremely minimal if not completely absent. Only proggers with a sweet tooth for AOR-pop stuff should be interested in this album.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#242202) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Review by Chicapah
1 stars Call me a glutton for aural punishment but I assure you that I'm not a masochist. I've found that in Progland there are not only glorious peaks to admire but shadowy valleys and a lot of in-between plateaus to navigate and explore so, as a reviewer, I must honestly rate the product manufactured by its inhabitants accordingly. A few years back an assortment of albums by Triumph came into my possession and I finally got around to giving the group a listen in hopes of discovering some savory prog rock to chew on. Unfortunately I'm finding that instead of steak and lobster I'm being presented with unseasoned cauliflower and beets. I started with their '81 release, "Allied Forces," and by the final cut I thought it should've been called "Let's do what those other guys are doing" instead because rarely have I heard anything so imitative and mimicking in my life. However, being the forgiving sort that's ever willing to give artists another chance to redeem themselves (even the best lay a rotten egg from time to time) I gave their "Sport of Kings" from '86 an unbiased spin. The good news is that it's not quite as despicable as the aforementioned turd. The bad news is that the improvement is negligible.

They open with "Tears in the Rain," a pop rock song indistinguishable from the lame offerings of a thousand other groups that swarmed like flies on a week-old wildebeest carcass in the mid 80s. Think Jefferson Starship mating with Toto and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this track sounds like especially since drummer Gil Moore could've been the shrill vocalist Mickey Thomas' stand-in. "Somebody's Out There" is next and it would've fit into the soundtracks for "Footloose" or "Flashdance" perfectly. It's slick as a quart of Quaker State, formulaic to the nth degree and contains incredibly vapid lyrics that were probably jotted down on a coffee-stained Denny's napkin at the eleventh hour. Scorpions come to mind on "What Rules My Heart" and I don't mean that to be a compliment. This is a prime example of faux metal and it's so blatantly derivative as to be a disgrace. My guess is the answer to the tune's title is "an insatiable yearning for a Top 40 hit single." "If Only" follows and to that I'd add in parentheses "we had an atom of originality." I'll concede that singer/guitarist Rik Emmett owns an impressively strong set of lungs and if there'd been an American Idol competition in those days he might've made the judges drool all over themselves but maybe he was just born too soon for such a fate. As for this particular number I find no redeeming qualities to report. "Hooked on You" is as banal as its moniker suggests and even though I hate to keep making comparisons this is an obvious rip off of the "rawk" hairballs Billy Squier was repeatedly coughing up in that era. The trio tosses in a few audio tricks to try to fool us into thinking they're clever but they're woefully ineffective.

Their mutual Canadian upbringing notwithstanding, "Take a Stand" is most likely what Rush would've sounded like if they'd decided to abandon their inventive muse and chase the almighty dollar. (May we all pause for a moment and thank the prog gods they didn't.) I deem this track pathetic schlock. Moore steps back up to the mike to croon "Just One Night," a ditty that may've been written with Michael Bolton in mind. It's a pedestrian power ballad signifying nothing. Next comes a short instrumental, "Embujo," and wow, that detour into Tijuana really paid off for you guys, huh? I will grant them this, though. At least they display a modicum of inspiration even if it's only for a few minutes. "Play With the Fire" sports the tired boogie rock beat that I so despise because it unfailingly wears out its welcome in a nanosecond and then you're stuck with it for the duration. The song's words must've been assembled from a dollar store rhyming dictionary with no regard for content whatsoever. Emmett does get to show off his fretboard tapping technique at one point but it comes off cheesy and patronizing. The name they stuck on "Don't Love Anybody But Me" is as insipid as their designation as a prog-related band. This tune is so commercial that it should have a price tag hanging off it.

In their defense putting out this brand of rock & roll is the trap that a great number of their peers stepped into during that dismal decade so perhaps they simply fell victim to a fatal strain of the MTV virus that sapped them of all progressive tendencies. I have no doubt they were giving it all they had but it's like trying to make a cake without flour. A vital ingredient was missing. As I said before, they could've been leaning in a prog direction in their early years but nothing I've heard so far convinces me that they should be given the time of day by any serious progger. 0.7 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1105516) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 02, 2014

Post a review of TRIUMPH "The Sport of Kings"