THE SPORT OF KINGS

Triumph

Triumph The Sport of Kings album cover

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

1. Tears in the Rain (3:55)
2. Somebody's Out There (4:04)
3. What Rules My Heart (3:52)
4. If Only (4:00)
5. Hooked on You (3:22)
6. Take a Stand (4:33)
7. Just One Night (3:40)
8. Embrujo (1:29)
9. Play With the Fire (5:18)
10. Don't Love Anybody Else But Me (3:55)
11. In the Middle of the Night (4:34)

Total Time: (42:41)

- Lou Pomanti / keys
- Johnny Rutledge / vocals

1986: Triumph/ TRC
2005: CD TRC #78009

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings Music

Allied ForcesAllied Forces
Tml Entertainment 2004
Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
TML Entertainment 2010
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
Rock N Roll MachineRock N Roll Machine
Just a GameJust a Game
StagesStages
Tml Entertainment 2004
TRIUMPH Mind Games Empty Inside 12" Vinyl Promo Promotional Record MCA 1985 US $9.99 Buy It Now 56m 57s
D.O.A. ~Triumph of the Ignoroids~ Special censored Edition~ US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
TRIUMPH-A World Of Fantasy/Too Much Thinking UK 7" Pic Disc EX Cond US $16.58 Buy It Now 2h 14m
JACKSONS TRIUMPH FT CAN YOU FEEL IT WALK RIGHT NOW VINYL LP ALBUM EPIC 86112 US $5.79 Buy It Now 4h 6m
3 CD, EU, The Jacksons, Michael Jackson, Victory, Triumph, Gold (Best Of) US $31.90 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Triumph 2000 - Phazed & Confused (1999) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Berners - Triumph of Neptune - Complete Ballet / Man with Moustache etc - M Polo US $4.13 [1 bids]
Wonders of His Love [LP] by Philip Bailey (of Earth Wind & Fire) plus Triumph US $0.99 [0 bids]
triumph_MAGAZINE ARTICLE CUTTINGS CLIPPINGS ships from AUSTRALIA US $9.30 Buy It Now 6h 36m
TRIUMPH PROGRESSIONS OF POWER 1980 JAPAN CD OBI 1800yen US $39.99 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Birtwistle: The Triumph Of Time; Gawains Journey CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 7m
GOSPEL GREATS 10: SONGS OF TRIUMPH / VARIOUS NEW CD US $10.45 Buy It Now 7h 12m
TRIUMPH - LIVE AT SWEDEN ROCK FESTIVAL (+DVD) NEW CD US $23.79 Buy It Now 7h 12m
MAXELL ROCK SAMPLER LP 1979 VG+ DPL-1-0400 GATE FOLD TRIUMPH/ STRAWBS US $1.50 [0 bids]
THE JACKSONS - DESTINY/TRIUMPH - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.81 Buy It Now 7h 40m
BIRTWISTLE / HOWARTH / PO / LONDON SINFONIETTA - TRIUMPH OF TIME / NEW CD US $21.50 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Come Poop With Me - The Insult C. Triumph New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.89 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Triumph, Allied Forces. 180 Gram 33rpm Sealed Vinyl LP US $54.99 Buy It Now 8h 17m
VORAK - Triumph of the will CD Rare 1996 1.p DSTK US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Triumph [CD 1] [Single] [Maxi] [Audio CD] Wu Tang Clan US $6.67 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Triumph [CD 2] [Single] [Maxi] [Audio CD] Wu Tang Clan US $6.67 Buy It Now 8h 58m
TRIUMPH / PROGRESSIONS OF POWER / 1980 LP EX/EX US $8.28 Buy It Now 8h 58m
TRIUMPH / THUNDER SEVEN / 1984 USA LP WITH INNER SLEEVE US $8.28 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Triumph - Rock & Roll Machine LP Limited Signed/ Inscribed by Rik Emmett Canada US $21.12 [0 bids]
SHARON MAREE - TRIUMPH NEW CD US $14.63 Buy It Now 9h 3m
triumph, scorpions, pat benatar, jethro tull, the police, record lot, LP lot US $80.00 Buy It Now 9h 10m
TRIUMPH-Allied Forcesd vinyl LP 1981 VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH-Thunder Seven vinyl LP 1984 VG+ US $1.99 [0 bids]
The Triumph of Steel- Manowar (CD, 1992, Atlantic (Label)) US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h
Frog Eyes - Paul's Tomb: A Triumph: A Triumph - DOC019CD US $18.34 Buy It Now 10h
Elgar Philharmonia/Howarth - Birtwistle: Triumph Of Time [CD New] US $13.97 Buy It Now 10h 22m
Battlesword - Failing In Triumph [CD New] US $13.99 Buy It Now 11h
THE SANTERS - Guitar Alley NM/EX-1984 Hard Rock Metal Triumph "Rare" Passport US $16.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Stages by Triumph (Cassette, Sep-1995, TRC Distribution) US $4.00 Buy It Now 11h 10m
Triumph Sport of Kings Sealed LP & Somebodys Out There EP Promo 12" vinyl rock US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 47m
Triumph Progression of Power in shrink 12" vinyl LP EXC RCA AYL1-4561 rock emmit US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 47m
Cataract : WITH TRIUMPH COMES LOSS CD (2004) US $3.29 Buy It Now 12h
Heavy Metal Vinyl TRIUMPH "The Sport Of Kings" 12" Record, Rock 80's. US $2.99 [0 bids]
Wu Tang Clan Ghostface Killah 12" Vinyl Record Lot Triumph Bulletproof Wallets US $59.99 Buy It Now 12h 38m
Franz Liszt record album Tasso Lament & Triumph US $4.99 Buy It Now 12h 45m
Grand Belial's Key Triumph of the Hordes Demo Tape OFFICIAL PAGAN RECORDS US $19.99 [1 bids]
@ CD Triumph - In Concert KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR RARE 1996 ORG US $24.99 Buy It Now 13h 21m
WARLOCK - TRIUMPH & AGONY NEW CD US $14.27 Buy It Now 13h 32m
TRIUMPH AMERICAN GIRLS. DEMO 7" P/S RARE US $6.62 Buy It Now 14h 4m
THE JACKSONS ( TRIUMPH ) 1980 ISSUED MINT MINUS LP US $2.99 Buy It Now 14h 13m
The Jacksons "Triumph" 1980 R&B LP, VG, Original, Michael US $4.95 Buy It Now 14h 21m
Goddess of Desire : Symbol of Triumph CD (1999) US $6.98 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Triumph - Allied Forces (30th Anniversary Edition) 180g Vinyl LP Record + MP3 US $22.80 Buy It Now 14h 54m
TRIUMPH Hold On / Just A Game rare 45 RPM vinyl Attic Records US $2.99 Buy It Now 15h
Triumph - Rocky Mountain Way/Little Texas Shaker 7" 45 RPM Vinyl Record US $1.99 Buy It Now 15h 5m
Manowar The Triumph Of Steel Cassette US $15.00 Buy It Now 15h 8m
Triumph The Sport Of Kings Excellent Condition With Photo/Lyric Insert LP US $6.50 Buy It Now 15h 8m
Thunder Seven - Triumph New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $15.55 Buy It Now 15h 35m
Triumph & Agony by Warlock (CD, Mar-2003, Mercury) US $5.17 Buy It Now 15h 43m
Triumph Rock & Roll Machine original ATTIC 197& Canadian pressing US $7.00 Buy It Now 15h 43m
Triumph - Stages (CD 2006) US $14.92 Buy It Now 16h 5m
Grade - Triumph NEW 7" 45 vinyl US $8.99 Buy It Now 16h 18m
HINNIES too fat for triumph 12" 4 trk b/w beautiful, the grace and gong (bgrl008 US $8.28 Buy It Now 18h 11m
Winterfylleth - Threnody of Triumph CD 2012 Candlelight USA black metal pagan US $13.95 Buy It Now 18h 17m
Sharon MaRee Triumph CD US $4.03 Buy It Now 18h 26m
RHAPSODY OF FIRE - TRIUMPH OR AGONY - BONUS TRACKS (IMPORT) NEW CD US $55.07 Buy It Now 18h 32m
PHILIP BAILEY Triumph 1986 CD RARE EARTH WIND & FIRE GEORGE DUKE US $31.95 Buy It Now 18h 36m
Triumph Surveillance Vinyl LP Record Album US $15.99 Buy It Now 18h 36m
THE O'JAYS-Best Of-CANTON OH-Mascots-TRIUMPH-Soul-Cd's US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 42m
TRIUMPH - PROGRESSIONS OF POWER ,lp album, EXC. "i live for the weekend" US $4.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH LP NEVER SURRENDER RCA US $5.99 Buy It Now 19h 14m
Gospel album GENERATIONS II " Triumph " US $5.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH 2 LP LOT NEVER SURRENDER JUST A GAME RIK EMMETT CANADA PROG METAL 1970'S US $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 20m
TRIUMPH: ALLIED FORCES (1981, MCA CASSETTE) MINT & COMPLETE US $0.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH: Thunder Seven metal vinyl US $11.00 Buy It Now 19h 30m
TRIUMPH: Self Titled (metal VG++ vinyl LP rare 1st album LAT-1012 Attic) US $45.00 Buy It Now 19h 30m
Triumph Allied Forces LP NM 1981 AFL1-3902 RCA US $12.95 Buy It Now 19h 32m
RARE PROG ROCK STYX "The Best Of Times" - 45 rpm 1980 VINYL - no triumph kansas US $0.99 [0 bids]
JACKSONS, THE: Triumph (rock vinyl LP) US $11.00 Buy It Now 19h 46m
Triumph The Sport of Kings LP EX/EX Lyrics 1986 MCA-5786 US $5.99 Buy It Now 19h 57m
Surveillance by Triumph (CD, Jun-2005, TRC Distribution) US $4.99 Buy It Now 20h 2m
Original 1981Triumph Allied Forces LP US $3.00 [0 bids]
JIMMY (NIGHT TRAIN) FOREST COCKTAILS FOR TWO/ NIGHT FLIGHT 45 VINYL TRIUMPH US $20.00 Buy It Now 20h 31m
NEW - Triumph And Agony by Warlock US $10.22 Buy It Now 20h 44m
ALMOST:Triumph:The:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $27.92 Buy It Now 20h 56m
WU TANG CLAN Triumph EDIT & INSTRUMENTAL PROMO DJ CD Single Method Man US $24.99 Buy It Now 22h 8m
Triumph - Just A Game - LP Record VG VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 22h 37m
Triumph-Thunder Seven-LP-OGSleeve-MCA-MCA5537-VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
Triumph by The Jacksons (CD, Feb-2008, Epic (USA)) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Elgar Philharmonia Howarth - Birtwistle: Triumph Of Time CD US $18.27 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH 8 TRACK TAPE Just a Game TESTED nw pads & splice ~ Lay It On The Line US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Narrator Such Triumph CD A1-02 US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph Just a Game Album US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph Thunder Seven Album US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Manowar - Cassette tape BULGARIA RARE Unison records Triumph of steel US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE JACKSONS TRIUMPH epic 80 A2 B1 uk PROMO Lp US $11.60 Buy It Now 1 day
RHAPSODY OF FIRE - TRIUMPH OR AGONY [RHAPSODY OF FIRE] [4988002515004] - NEW CD US $38.39 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - ROCK & ROLL MACHINE [TML] - NEW CD US $15.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Attacker Bloody Axe - "Triumph Of The Demon Axe" EP US $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH rock & roll machine self titled PL12982 A1E/B2E uk rca 1978 LP PS EX/EX US $16.25 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH rock and roll machine PL 12982 A1E/B2E early press uk 1977 LP PS EX+/EX+ US $31.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Warlock - True as Steel / Triumph and Agony (CD-Maximum`99) Russian Pressing!!! US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph, The Sport Of Kings Vinly Record MCA-5786 US $5.00 [0 bids]
Triumph - Just A Game (1979) - cassette US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph - Surveillance (1987) - cassette US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(10%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(15%)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings reviews

Review by Sinusoid
1 stars I didn't really know that much about Triumph when I found this album in my uncle's vinyl collection. I had maybe heard one or two songs on the radio but dismissed them as just another rock band that kind of sounds like early Rush. That sound was what I was expecting when I put the needle down on THE SPORT OF KINGS; needless to say, the album didn't have that sound, but the sound I did hear wasn't pleasing to my ears.

I could give a track by track explanation into the fabric of the album, but what would be the point? Think of the most stereotypical 80's pop-rock album complete with sappy love lyrics, AOR power guitars and poppy synths, and that pretty much takes care of the ten tracks beyond the three minute mark. I am more reminded of Steve Perry's Journey rather than early Rush, but I honestly don't have much affinity for the former band.

The only track I can really stomach is the short, guitar piece ''Embrujo''; it's sort of a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the album. It's not a great guitar thing, especially when I've heard a few other guitar pieces like the ones from Tony Iommi.

On the whole, the album is drab to my ears. Progressive rock contents are extremely minimal if not completely absent. Only proggers with a sweet tooth for AOR-pop stuff should be interested in this album.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#242202) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Review by Chicapah
1 stars Call me a glutton for aural punishment but I assure you that I'm not a masochist. I've found that in Progland there are not only glorious peaks to admire but shadowy valleys and a lot of in-between plateaus to navigate and explore so, as a reviewer, I must honestly rate the product manufactured by its inhabitants accordingly. A few years back an assortment of albums by Triumph came into my possession and I finally got around to giving the group a listen in hopes of discovering some savory prog rock to chew on. Unfortunately I'm finding that instead of steak and lobster I'm being presented with unseasoned cauliflower and beets. I started with their '81 release, "Allied Forces," and by the final cut I thought it should've been called "Let's do what those other guys are doing" instead because rarely have I heard anything so imitative and mimicking in my life. However, being the forgiving sort that's ever willing to give artists another chance to redeem themselves (even the best lay a rotten egg from time to time) I gave their "Sport of Kings" from '86 an unbiased spin. The good news is that it's not quite as despicable as the aforementioned turd. The bad news is that the improvement is negligible.

They open with "Tears in the Rain," a pop rock song indistinguishable from the lame offerings of a thousand other groups that swarmed like flies on a week-old wildebeest carcass in the mid 80s. Think Jefferson Starship mating with Toto and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this track sounds like especially since drummer Gil Moore could've been the shrill vocalist Mickey Thomas' stand-in. "Somebody's Out There" is next and it would've fit into the soundtracks for "Footloose" or "Flashdance" perfectly. It's slick as a quart of Quaker State, formulaic to the nth degree and contains incredibly vapid lyrics that were probably jotted down on a coffee-stained Denny's napkin at the eleventh hour. Scorpions come to mind on "What Rules My Heart" and I don't mean that to be a compliment. This is a prime example of faux metal and it's so blatantly derivative as to be a disgrace. My guess is the answer to the tune's title is "an insatiable yearning for a Top 40 hit single." "If Only" follows and to that I'd add in parentheses "we had an atom of originality." I'll concede that singer/guitarist Rik Emmett owns an impressively strong set of lungs and if there'd been an American Idol competition in those days he might've made the judges drool all over themselves but maybe he was just born too soon for such a fate. As for this particular number I find no redeeming qualities to report. "Hooked on You" is as banal as its moniker suggests and even though I hate to keep making comparisons this is an obvious rip off of the "rawk" hairballs Billy Squier was repeatedly coughing up in that era. The trio tosses in a few audio tricks to try to fool us into thinking they're clever but they're woefully ineffective.

Their mutual Canadian upbringing notwithstanding, "Take a Stand" is most likely what Rush would've sounded like if they'd decided to abandon their inventive muse and chase the almighty dollar. (May we all pause for a moment and thank the prog gods they didn't.) I deem this track pathetic schlock. Moore steps back up to the mike to croon "Just One Night," a ditty that may've been written with Michael Bolton in mind. It's a pedestrian power ballad signifying nothing. Next comes a short instrumental, "Embujo," and wow, that detour into Tijuana really paid off for you guys, huh? I will grant them this, though. At least they display a modicum of inspiration even if it's only for a few minutes. "Play With the Fire" sports the tired boogie rock beat that I so despise because it unfailingly wears out its welcome in a nanosecond and then you're stuck with it for the duration. The song's words must've been assembled from a dollar store rhyming dictionary with no regard for content whatsoever. Emmett does get to show off his fretboard tapping technique at one point but it comes off cheesy and patronizing. The name they stuck on "Don't Love Anybody But Me" is as insipid as their designation as a prog-related band. This tune is so commercial that it should have a price tag hanging off it.

In their defense putting out this brand of rock & roll is the trap that a great number of their peers stepped into during that dismal decade so perhaps they simply fell victim to a fatal strain of the MTV virus that sapped them of all progressive tendencies. I have no doubt they were giving it all they had but it's like trying to make a cake without flour. A vital ingredient was missing. As I said before, they could've been leaning in a prog direction in their early years but nothing I've heard so far convinces me that they should be given the time of day by any serious progger. 0.7 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1105516) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 02, 2014

Post a review of TRIUMPH "The Sport of Kings"