THE SPORT OF KINGS

Triumph

Triumph The Sport of Kings album cover

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

1. Tears in the Rain (3:55)
2. Somebody's Out There (4:04)
3. What Rules My Heart (3:52)
4. If Only (4:00)
5. Hooked on You (3:22)
6. Take a Stand (4:33)
7. Just One Night (3:40)
8. Embrujo (1:29)
9. Play With the Fire (5:18)
10. Don't Love Anybody Else But Me (3:55)
11. In the Middle of the Night (4:34)

Total Time: (42:41)

- Lou Pomanti / keys
- Johnny Rutledge / vocals

1986: Triumph/ TRC
2005: CD TRC #78009

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings Music

Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
TML Entertainment 2010
Never SurrenderNever Surrender
Allied ForcesAllied Forces
Tml Entertainment 2004
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
Jdc Records 2011
Vinyl$14.98
Triumph - Rock & Roll Machine (Mini Lp Sleeve) CD US $49.53 Buy It Now 42m 32s
Triumph - Live At The Sweden Ro CD US $35.66 Buy It Now 46m 32s
Jacksons : CD(Japan Only MINI LP) - Triumph - Jackson 5 / Michael Jackson US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Colson,Steve & The Unity Troup Triumph! CD (UK Import) NEW US $14.59 Buy It Now 2h 3m
TRIUMPH -"NEVER SURRENDER" RCA -1983 - AFL1-4382 - NM/EX Orig. Sleeve Rik Emmett US $5.75 Buy It Now 2h 35m
F*cked Up - Triumph of Life UK JUKEBOX 7" BLACK VINYL US $11.61 Buy It Now 2h 38m
V. Borisova-Ollas - Triumph Of Heaven [CD New] US $14.21 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Tragedy and Triumph US $4.09 Buy It Now 3h 5m
TRIUMPH rock & roll machine self titled PL 12982 A1E/B2E uk rca 1978 LP PS EX/EX US $14.93 Buy It Now 3h 18m
TRIUMPH progressions of power PL13524 A1U/B1U 1st press uk rca 1980 LP PS VG/EX- US $14.93 Buy It Now 3h 18m
TRIUMPH: Never Say Never metal PROMO vinyl single US $14.00 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Rik Emmett ( Triumph ) raw quartet CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Frog Eyes Paul's Tomb: A Triumph CD (UK Import) NEW US $13.33 Buy It Now 5h 29m
HOT SHOWER v/a LP nMINT UK 1981 RCA Budgie Hawkwind Slade Triumph US $13.27 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Guttler, Ludwig:corno de cac-TRIUMPH OF THE CORNO DA CACCIA (JEWL) CD NEW US $15.69 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Triumph - Diamond Collection (RARE / Deleted) (10 CD Box Set, 2010) US $154.43 [3 bids]
TRIUMPH-ALLIED FORCES-JAPAN Ltd.Ed MINI LP CD 0512 Fi83 US $35.50 Buy It Now 6h 59m
TRAVELERS INSURANCE Triumph Of Man - EP EP US 1965 red orig Travelers 4348 1/2 US $19.98 Buy It Now 7h 34m
STEVE COLSON & THE UNITY TROUPE - TRIUMPH NEW CD US $36.93 Buy It Now 7h 41m
Triumph - Surveillance [CD New] US $9.41 Buy It Now 7h 57m
@ CD Blood4 - Warning METAL JAPANESE PRESS + OBI CONCERTO MOON TRIUMPH 2006 SS US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 14m
D.O.A. TRIUMPH OF THE IGNOROIDS 7" EP NEW kbd #305/1100 black flag hardcore US $9.99 [0 bids]
Manowar Triumph Of Steel CD First USA pressing color picture disc US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 32m
(EQ13) Of Montreal, Triumph Of Disintegration - DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 8h 34m
1st Avenue - Tears And Triumph (Japan) / XRCN-1099 US $9.99 [1 bids]
TRIUMPH-FOLLOW YOUR HEART/STRANGER LIMITED EDITION RED VINYL 45+PS US $8.98 Buy It Now 8h 43m
TRIUMPH-ALLIED FORCES-LP-RCA1981-SUPER CLEAN LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
UNKNOWN PEOPLE - TRIUMPH (EP) NEW CD US $21.23 Buy It Now 9h 14m
Metalium: State Of Triumph - Chapter Two CD 2000 2 Massacre MAS DP0243 Digipak US $9.95 Buy It Now 9h 18m
Progressions of Power by Triumph Vinyl, RCA tmk 1980 demonstration not for sale US $5.00 [0 bids]
METALIUM state of triumph +1 Japan cd 12tracks sample cd US $7.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH TWO RECORD DEAL VINYL LP'S US $16.00 Buy It Now 10h 57m
THE CHALLENGERS GO SIDEWALK SURFING LP TRIUMPH RECORDS MONO 723 US $35.99 Buy It Now 11h 9m
TRIUMPH/thunder seven/1984 quiex II audiophile pressling lp US $35.99 Buy It Now 11h 23m
Vinyl LP - The Triumph Of An A4 Pacific, Sounds Of The Steam Age US $1.66 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH 2000 MK3 OUT THERE UK 7" *NEW* Spacemen 3 US $10.69 Buy It Now 12h 2m
Mortification-Triumph Of Mercy CASSETTE FREE SHIPPING (Brand New-Sealed) US $5.49 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Triumph - Just A Game (AFL1-3224) US $6.97 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Classics by Triumph (CD, Sep-1995, TRC Distribution) US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Warlock Triumph And Agony US $9.99 [0 bids]
Victoria De Los Angeles - Der Dezente Triumph [CD New] US $47.99 Buy It Now 12h 55m
TRIUMPH OF THE SPIRIT - JEFFREY ALLAN FISHER - MINT CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 13h
Triumph Spellbound 45 7" Picture Sleeve White Label Promo Hard Rock US $4.99 [0 bids]
13h
Triumph Progressions Of Power Cassette 1980 US $1.64 [0 bids]
Triumph 7" 45 PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY Hold On RCA 1979 Just A Game US $10.00 Buy It Now 13h 14m
NEW YORK WORLDS FAIR 1964' 65 TRIUMPH OF MAN RECORD US $20.00 Buy It Now 13h 27m
TRIUMPH "Thunder Seven" Lp (1st Canada Press) NM/EX Rush Max Webster Gil Moore US $16.59 [0 bids]
Triumph - spellbound 45 7 Inch. US Promo US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - ALLIED FORCES - NEW CD US $7.93 Buy It Now 14h 12m
xDEATHSTARx 'The Triumph' 10 song hardcore cd 2008 US $3.95 [0 bids]
Triumph CASSETTE NEW Stages US $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Triumph CASSETTE NEW The Sport Of Kings US $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Iron Fire / Blade of Triumph JAPAN+2 Helloween Gamma Ray OOP!!!!!! D US $34.99 Buy It Now 14h 56m
Triumph CD..King Biscuit Flower Hour (In Concert) LIVE RIK EMMETT US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 28m
HELLHAMMER 2X7" TRIUMPH OF DEATH CELTIC FROST THRASH METAL VENOM BATHORY PUNK US $19.00 Buy It Now 15h 38m
Gene Loves Jezebel, Triumph, Jayhawks, Television, Asia - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $7.63 Buy It Now 15h 44m
Grade Triumph & Tragedy CD US $3.96 Buy It Now 15h 59m
TRIUMPH - ROCK & ROLL MACHINE ,lp album, EXC. Rick Emmett , Mike Levine ,Moore US $4.99 Buy It Now 16h 18m
Triumph 2 LP Collection-Never Surrender,Progressions of Power-RCA-Shrink-NM US $3.99 [0 bids]
THEATRE 4 cd's LERNER LOEWE LANE, TRIUMPH OF LOVE, PRIME TIME MUSICALS US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 2m
TRIUMPH - The Sport of Kings 1986 LP insert EX US $11.95 Buy It Now 17h 53m
Lot 4 Triumph LPs Thunder 7, Progressions of Power, Sport Kings, Allied Forces US $21.99 Buy It Now 17h 57m
Bach: The Stoned Guest; Two Madrigals from The Triumph Of Thusnelda by Bach, P. US $3.98 Buy It Now 18h 5m
Triumph - Thunder Seven (MCA 5537) 1984 EX/NM US $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 13m
15 Cassettes Box -- Triumph,Nirvana,Poison,Heart,George Thorogood,U2 US $39.99 [0 bids]
Led Zeppelin ?- Triumph Rehearsals Box 3 x Colored Vinyl 2 x Cd US $653.77 Buy It Now 18h 33m
Original Soundtrack NAZI Triumph of the Will US $0.99 [0 bids]
Triumph - The Sport of Kings, CD, 1986 MCA "Somebody's out there" US $5.00 [0 bids]
Surveillance by Triumph (CD, Jun-2005, TRC Distribution) US $4.99 Buy It Now 19h 23m
Lugburz - Triumph Of Antichrist (CD 2006 Circle Of The Tyrants) Black Metal VG US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 24m
Triumph Classics MCAD-42283 MCA US $4.99 [1 bids]
U2, Triumph, Robbie Robertson, Depeche Mode, Replacements - 1987 U.S. PROMO cd US $19.98 Buy It Now 20h 3m
Masson, Lakey, Clapton, Barry, Triumph of Beauty & Deceit Audio CD US $22.99 Buy It Now 20h 24m
With Triumph Comes Loss by Cataract (CD, Sep-2004, Metal Blade) US $5.50 Buy It Now 20h 56m
C. Hacquart - Triumph Of Love Camerata Trajectina [CD New] US $17.89 Buy It Now 21h
DOA Live triumph of the ignoroids 7" Record numbered vinyl #387 of 1000 , d.o.a. US $9.95 Buy It Now 21h 15m
TRIUMPH - "Rock & Roll Machine" LP 1978 1st US PROMO IN SHRINK RCA - No UPC - NM US $22.88 Buy It Now 21h 40m
8 PHOTO Head Shot LOT 89s Metal Hair New Wave Music Bangles Triumph Original NM US $20.99 Buy It Now 22h 38m
TRIUMPH STAGES RARE OOP 2x DOUBLE LP VG+ COVER/VG++ VINYL! GATEFOLD METAL 1985! US $7.99 Buy It Now 23h 32m
Triumph self titled debut first LP Original Attic LAT 1012 1976 Canada Hard Rock US $39.95 Buy It Now 1 day
@ CD Dunkelgrafen - Triumph Des Fleisches / LAST EPISODE RECORDS 2001 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph - Never Surrender (Vinyl, 1983) EX US $2.99 [0 bids]
ECLIPSE-TRIUMPH OF THE PAIN US $2.99 [0 bids]
IRON FIRE - BLADE OF TRIUMPH - NEW CD US $8.65 Buy It Now 1 day
GRAND MAGUS - Triumph & Power - 180 gram vinyl LP + poster US $25.08 Buy It Now 1 day
SOUNDCLASH: UNDO (UK 2CD ALBUM UNMIXED + MIXED) Triumph 2000*Funki Porcini etc US $4.14 Buy It Now 1 day
TAMA WAIPARA - TRIUMPH OF TIME [823889910129] - NEW CD US $7.37 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR (IN CONCERT) [TRIUMPH] - NEW CD US $21.48 Buy It Now 1 day
ON A NOTE OF TRIUMPH, by Norman Corwin 78rpm Record Set US $99.95 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH -Stages KOREA 2 LP set Blue Cvr US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph I live for the weekend 7" RCA13 VG/EX UK US $12.31 Buy It Now 1 day
Live at Sweden Rock Festival * by Triumph (CD, Aug-2012, 2 Discs) US $15.98 Buy It Now 1 day
WELTBRAND-RADIANCE OF A THOUSAND SUNS-THE APOCALYPTIC TRIUMPH US $2.99 [0 bids]
Grand Magus - Triumph and Power (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $28.22 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH-PROGRESSIONS OF POWER 1980 RCA VICTOR RECORDS LP AFL1-3524 EXC. VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - Progressions of Power 1980 HARD ROCK w/ INNER US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Jacksons Triumph 9 Trk CD Album US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph LP 1981 Allied Forces US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Various(CD Album)Music Miracle In Mind-Triumph-Cheetah-CM1003-UK US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicken Soup For The Soul: The Triumph Of The Spirit - US $4.79 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(10%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(15%)

TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings reviews

Review by Sinusoid
1 stars I didn't really know that much about Triumph when I found this album in my uncle's vinyl collection. I had maybe heard one or two songs on the radio but dismissed them as just another rock band that kind of sounds like early Rush. That sound was what I was expecting when I put the needle down on THE SPORT OF KINGS; needless to say, the album didn't have that sound, but the sound I did hear wasn't pleasing to my ears.

I could give a track by track explanation into the fabric of the album, but what would be the point? Think of the most stereotypical 80's pop-rock album complete with sappy love lyrics, AOR power guitars and poppy synths, and that pretty much takes care of the ten tracks beyond the three minute mark. I am more reminded of Steve Perry's Journey rather than early Rush, but I honestly don't have much affinity for the former band.

The only track I can really stomach is the short, guitar piece ''Embrujo''; it's sort of a breath of fresh air in comparison to the rest of the album. It's not a great guitar thing, especially when I've heard a few other guitar pieces like the ones from Tony Iommi.

On the whole, the album is drab to my ears. Progressive rock contents are extremely minimal if not completely absent. Only proggers with a sweet tooth for AOR-pop stuff should be interested in this album.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#242202) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Review by Chicapah
1 stars Call me a glutton for aural punishment but I assure you that I'm not a masochist. I've found that in Progland there are not only glorious peaks to admire but shadowy valleys and a lot of in-between plateaus to navigate and explore so, as a reviewer, I must honestly rate the product manufactured by its inhabitants accordingly. A few years back an assortment of albums by Triumph came into my possession and I finally got around to giving the group a listen in hopes of discovering some savory prog rock to chew on. Unfortunately I'm finding that instead of steak and lobster I'm being presented with unseasoned cauliflower and beets. I started with their '81 release, "Allied Forces," and by the final cut I thought it should've been called "Let's do what those other guys are doing" instead because rarely have I heard anything so imitative and mimicking in my life. However, being the forgiving sort that's ever willing to give artists another chance to redeem themselves (even the best lay a rotten egg from time to time) I gave their "Sport of Kings" from '86 an unbiased spin. The good news is that it's not quite as despicable as the aforementioned turd. The bad news is that the improvement is negligible.

They open with "Tears in the Rain," a pop rock song indistinguishable from the lame offerings of a thousand other groups that swarmed like flies on a week-old wildebeest carcass in the mid 80s. Think Jefferson Starship mating with Toto and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this track sounds like especially since drummer Gil Moore could've been the shrill vocalist Mickey Thomas' stand-in. "Somebody's Out There" is next and it would've fit into the soundtracks for "Footloose" or "Flashdance" perfectly. It's slick as a quart of Quaker State, formulaic to the nth degree and contains incredibly vapid lyrics that were probably jotted down on a coffee-stained Denny's napkin at the eleventh hour. Scorpions come to mind on "What Rules My Heart" and I don't mean that to be a compliment. This is a prime example of faux metal and it's so blatantly derivative as to be a disgrace. My guess is the answer to the tune's title is "an insatiable yearning for a Top 40 hit single." "If Only" follows and to that I'd add in parentheses "we had an atom of originality." I'll concede that singer/guitarist Rik Emmett owns an impressively strong set of lungs and if there'd been an American Idol competition in those days he might've made the judges drool all over themselves but maybe he was just born too soon for such a fate. As for this particular number I find no redeeming qualities to report. "Hooked on You" is as banal as its moniker suggests and even though I hate to keep making comparisons this is an obvious rip off of the "rawk" hairballs Billy Squier was repeatedly coughing up in that era. The trio tosses in a few audio tricks to try to fool us into thinking they're clever but they're woefully ineffective.

Their mutual Canadian upbringing notwithstanding, "Take a Stand" is most likely what Rush would've sounded like if they'd decided to abandon their inventive muse and chase the almighty dollar. (May we all pause for a moment and thank the prog gods they didn't.) I deem this track pathetic schlock. Moore steps back up to the mike to croon "Just One Night," a ditty that may've been written with Michael Bolton in mind. It's a pedestrian power ballad signifying nothing. Next comes a short instrumental, "Embujo," and wow, that detour into Tijuana really paid off for you guys, huh? I will grant them this, though. At least they display a modicum of inspiration even if it's only for a few minutes. "Play With the Fire" sports the tired boogie rock beat that I so despise because it unfailingly wears out its welcome in a nanosecond and then you're stuck with it for the duration. The song's words must've been assembled from a dollar store rhyming dictionary with no regard for content whatsoever. Emmett does get to show off his fretboard tapping technique at one point but it comes off cheesy and patronizing. The name they stuck on "Don't Love Anybody But Me" is as insipid as their designation as a prog-related band. This tune is so commercial that it should have a price tag hanging off it.

In their defense putting out this brand of rock & roll is the trap that a great number of their peers stepped into during that dismal decade so perhaps they simply fell victim to a fatal strain of the MTV virus that sapped them of all progressive tendencies. I have no doubt they were giving it all they had but it's like trying to make a cake without flour. A vital ingredient was missing. As I said before, they could've been leaning in a prog direction in their early years but nothing I've heard so far convinces me that they should be given the time of day by any serious progger. 0.7 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1105516) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 02, 2014

Post a review of TRIUMPH "The Sport of Kings"