SEX & RELIGION (AS VAI)

Steve Vai Sex & Religion (as Vai) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy STEVE VAI Music
Studio Album, released in 1993

1. An Earth Dweller's Return (1:03)
2. Here & Now (4:47)
3. In My Dreams With You (5:00)
4. Still My Bleeding Heart (6:00)
5. Sex & Religion (4:24)
6. Dirty Black Hole (4:27)
7. Touching Tongues (4:33)
8. State Of Grace (1:41)
9. Survive (4:46)
10. Pig (3:36)
11. The Road To Mt. Calvary (2:35)
12. Down Deep Into The Pain (8:01)
13. Rescue Me Or Bury Me (8:25)

Search STEVE VAI Sex & Religion (as Vai) lyrics

Search STEVE VAI Sex & Religion (as Vai) tabs

- Devin Townsend / lead vocals
- T. M. Stevens / bass & vocals
- Terry Bozzio / drums & percussion
- Steve Vai / everything else

CD Epic/Sony, EPC 473947 2

Thanks to riversdancing for the addition
and to snobb for the last updates

STEVE VAI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STEVE VAI Sex & Religion (as Vai) Music

Sex & ReligionSex & Religion
Epic 2009
Ultra ZoneUltra Zone
Sbme Special Mkts. 1999
BAD 4 GOOD, REFUGEE, JAPAN, OBI, 1992, ORG, PROMO, AMCY-452, STEVE VAI US $39.99 Buy It Now 39m 22s
Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets 24HR POST!! US $7.62 Buy It Now 3h
Steve Vai - Sex & Religion (1998) US $5.86 Buy It Now 3h 9m
STEVE VAI -Warfare KOREA EX LP W/Insert US $27.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
STEVE VAI-Lot of 2 magazine pictures US $5.07 Buy It Now 3h 55m
SALT-N-PEPA,SELENA,STEVE VAI,ALL-4-ONE,PHIL COLLINS+: SONGS FROM WEST SIDE STORY US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 29m
STEVE VAI-Flex-Able/FLEXABLE/Stu Hamm/CHAD WACKERMAN-ss US $7.29 Buy It Now 4h 49m
STEVE VAI Sex & Religion CD 13 Track Album, 473947 2 US $8.06 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Passion and Warfare [LP] by Steve Vai (Vinyl, Dec-2008, Legacy Recordings)0168 US $59.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Steve Vai 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/7609 US $42.43 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Steve Vai - Fire Garden / Japan + 1 US $3.50 [1 bids]
Steve Vai 165 Guitar Tabs Software Lesson CD, 31 Backing Tracks US $6.80 Buy It Now 7h 23m
STEVE VAI - INFINITE STEVE VAI NEW CD US $17.90 Buy It Now 7h 23m
STEVE VAI - ESSENTIAL STEVE VAI (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $22.54 Buy It Now 7h 44m
STEVE VAI: Flex-able LP (color cover reissue, cover in shrink, nearly new!) Roc US $25.00 Buy It Now 9h 34m
KERRANG Classic Rock / Metal magazine Seb Bach & Steve Vai pics 16/12/89 #269 US $10.17 Buy It Now 10h 26m
Steve Vai: Flex-Able LP Food-For-Thought Label London GRUB 3 1984 US $8.50 [0 bids]
Steve Vai Passion and Warfare LP Picture Disc UK Press RARE  US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 17m
Steve Vai ** GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD- (132 Songs) US $6.85 [0 bids]
Sex & Religion by Steve Vai Japan(Promo)CD+1 bonus like New US $3.59 Buy It Now 15h 56m
Steve Vai The Ultra Zone CD 13 Fabulous Rock Songs!!! US $5.99 Buy It Now 16h 8m
STEVE VAI (2 CD) THE INFINITE : AN ANTHOLOGY ~ 90's / 00's GUITAR LEGEND *NEW* US $15.78 Buy It Now 16h 59m
Steve Vai FIRE GARDEN CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 17h 36m
FRANK ZAPPA VINYL man from utopia LP in PLASTIC ship US free Record Steve Vai 83 US $19.99 [0 bids]
Alcatrazz Disturbing The Peace vinyl LP Steve Vai Eddie Kramer Graham Bonnet US $9.99 [0 bids]
Steve Vai - Flexable CSCS-5377 CD Japan +OBI US $9.80 Buy It Now 19h 14m
STEVE VAI FLEXABLE AKASHIC UR777 ALBUM RECORD LP US $19.95 [0 bids]
STEVE VAI FIRE GARDEN + BONUS TRACK 1996 JAPAN CD OBI 2300yen SRCS 1ST PRESS US $19.99 Buy It Now 21h 14m
The Elusive Light and Sound, Vol. 1 by Steve Vai (CD, Jun-2002) US $5.99 Buy It Now 21h 27m
GREGG BISSONETTE Submarine JAPAN CD VICP-61033 Richie Kotzen Steve Vai Satriani US $14.99 Buy It Now 22h 23m
Rare Metal CD STEVE VAI The Story Of Light ORG NEW & SEALED US $13.99 Buy It Now 23h 18m
G3 - LIVE IN CONCERT CD ~ JOE SATRIANI * ERIC JOHNSON * STEVE VAI ~ GUITAR *NEW* US $18.61 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Vai - In My Dreams With You - Deleted CD SEALED US $8.47 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE VAI - Passion & Warfare - 1990 CD, made in Austria US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Vai - Western Vacation (CD) VGC US $8.08 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Vai Passion & warfare Germany LP OIS 1990 US $13.99 [0 bids]
LEARN TO PLAY STEVE VAI SOLOS GUITAR LICK LIBRARY DVD US $28.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Alcatrazz..Disturbing the Peace LP, EX..Steve Vai, Graham Bonnett US $4.99 [0 bids]
THEODORE ZIRAZ -territory 4 CD ( VIRTUOSO GUITAR ) STEVE VAI , JOE SATRIANI US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE VAI - MYSTERY TRACKS ARCHIVES 3 NEW CD US $19.45 Buy It Now 1 day
The Epidemics~Shankar/Caroline SEALED vinyl LP - Steve Vai on guitar/Percy Jones US $14.99 [0 bids]
STEVE VAI**STORY OF LIGHT**CD US $11.01 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW CD - Steve Vai - Fire Garden - Brand New Sealed CD - Fast USA Shipping US $4.95 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE VAI**V1 ELUSIVE LIGHT**CD US $10.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Vai - Rare Albums and Cassette Flexible 12" and 10" 1984 and 1989 Rock US $130.00 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE VAI**STORY OF LIGHT (LIMITED EDITION)**CD + DVD SET US $15.35 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE VAI FLEXABLE UR-777 LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
STEVE VAI**ULTRA ZONE**CD US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Ex+!DAVID LEE ROTH Skyscraper JAPAN PROMO-ONLY CASSETTE TAPE PSC-153 Steve Vai, US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Flex-Able by Steve Vai (CD, Jun-1997, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE VAI - REAL ILLUSIONS: REFLECTIONS NEW CD US $22.94 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE VAI'S FLEX-ABLE CASSETTE US $0.49 [0 bids]
Alien Love Secrets by Steve Vai (CD, Jul-2007, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) US $3.33 Buy It Now 1 day
DUDES movie soundtrack 1987 VG++ Jane's Addiction Steve Vai Vandals Megadeth US $7.99 [0 bids]
steve vai 2 TAPE LOT rare promo + FREE S.H. IN U.S. SO511 US $12.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Whitesnake Slip Of The Tongue CD Steve Vai David Coverdale 10 Fabulous Songs! US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Fire Garden by Steve Vai (CD, Sony (USA)) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Alien Love Secrets by Steve Vai (CD, Jul-2007, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID LEE ROTH~EAT 'EM AND SMILE~LP~1986~MASTERDISK~STEVE VAI~1-25470~ROCK~ US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE VAI FLEX-ABLE RARE ARGENTINA EDIT LP CPP811 US $45.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Passion and Warfare/Sex & Religion by Steve Vai (CD) US $2.47 [3 bids]
David Lee Roth Eat em And Smile Cassette 1986 Warner Bros 25470-4 Steve Vai Rock US $2.49 [0 bids]
WHITESNAKE LIVE AT DONNINGTON 1990 2CD DAVID COVERDALE STEVE VAI VANDENBERG MINT US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Flex-Able by Steve Vai (CD Important/Akashic Records US $5.99 [0 bids]
Disturbing the Peace by Alcatrazz - 2012 L.E. Vinyl Lp. / Sealed New/ Steve Vai US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
+ Steve Vai : Passion And Warfare CD excellent condition US $4.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Kosta Vreto-Pictures Of A Broken Heart Steve Vai,Tafolla,Gilbert,Malmsteen,Pell US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Vai AUSTRALIAN Tour RARE POSTER US $9.41 [0 bids]
Steve Vai 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/7309 US $42.43 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI - FIRE GARDEN [STEVE VAI] [886972415628] - NEW CD US $3.33 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI - ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS NEW CD US $23.31 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI - PLAYLIST: THE VERY BEST OF STEVE VAI (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $13.27 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI - THE 7TH SONG: ENCHANTING GUITAR MELODIES ARCHIVES, VOL. 1 - NEW CD US $4.93 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI - WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE NEW VINYL US $38.33 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI "FLEX - ABLE" CASSETTE ROCK/METAL US $2.00 [0 bids]
DAVID LEE ROTH EAT 'EM AND SMILE LP STEVE VAI BILLY SHEEHAN VAN HALEN US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Vai - The Story Of Light NEW CD US $20.03 Buy It Now 2 days
SALE!! Alcatrazz Disturbing The Peace CD Japan Style Mini LP REMASTER Steve Vai US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI "FLEXABLE" EXCELLENT LP! US $15.00 [0 bids]
80s Hair METAL Cassette lot Warrant WASP Whitesnake TESLA Steve Vai Aldo Nova US $15.00 [0 bids]
Steve Vai Passion And Warface Cassette 1990 US $4.97 [0 bids]
DAVID LEE ROTH "Paradise" 12" SINGLE SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED by STEVE VAI! VAN HALEN US $89.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Elusive Light and Sound, Vol. 1 by Steve Vai (CD, Jun-2002, Favored... US $11.50 Buy It Now 2 days
The 7th Song: Enchanting Guitar Melodies-Archives Vol.1, Steve Vai, Good US $4.24 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI - WESTERN VACATION NEW CD US $19.45 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI - PLAYLIST: THE VERY BEST OF STEVE VAI [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $4.08 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Vai - Sex & Religion (CD 1998) US $6.77 Buy It Now 2 days
Playlist:very Best Of Steve Vai - Vai,Steve US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI The Essential 2CD BRAND NEW Best Of Greatest Hits US $11.00 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI - ELUSIVE LIGHT & SOUND 1 NEW CD US $19.45 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI In My Dreams With You US Picture Disc RARE Relativity Limited UNPLAYED US $49.95 Buy It Now 2 days
David Lee Roth RARE SEALED Skyscraper Vinyl Lp Record Steve Vai 1988 Van Halen US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI - KERRANG PLAYING CARD US $10.17 Buy It Now 2 days
PASSION AND WARFARE / STEVE VAI US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI_Warfare_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA_q1 US $9.42 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE VAI TAPE SEX AND RELIGION US $3.96 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Vai - Flex-Able Leftovers CD US $15.79 Buy It Now 3 days
Steve Vai - Where The Order Wild Things Are CD US $16.81 Buy It Now 3 days
25 CD LOT 1 HELLOWEEN GAMMA JAG PANZER STEVE VAI OZZY OSBOURNE BOB MOULD YES US $49.99 [0 bids]
Steve Vai - Vol. 1-Elusive Light & Sound CD US $16.09 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy STEVE VAI music online Buy STEVE VAI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STEVE VAI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STEVE VAI Sex & Religion (as Vai) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(17%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(25%)

STEVE VAI Sex & Religion (as Vai) reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars Supposed to be titled Dirty Black Hole .

Steve Vai has never been in my attention even though I have purchased almost all of his albums. Someone asked me to spin the CD, especially "Sex and Religion" and give my comments. Well, I am trying to put down my comments on this album.

The opening track "An Earth Dweller's Return" (1:03) serves as an overture with guitar solo in howling mode. It creates a promising nuance for the music. I really like this overture because it does rock! It then flows to energetic music in relatively fast tempo with "Here & Now" (4:47). I can hear clearly how good Vai's guitar work is. Devin Townsend vocal enters the music with his powerful tiny vocal line. Bass guitar is played in the vein like those played by Stanley Clarke. Steve Vai gives his guitar solo during music interlude - it's a stunning guitar solo. The next track "In My Dreams With You" (5:00) sounds like a programmed music with some sampling.

"Still My Bleeding Heart" (6:00) opens with an acoustic guitar fills followed by a groovy music which relies its pillar on riffs created from bass guitar work combined with acoustic guitar. The title track "Sex & Religion" (4:24) kicks off with Vai's guitar riffs but the music flows like a pop song and nothing likes rock music at all. It's quite disappointing with the fact that this is the album title track which supposed to be a well composed, well-written track. I can not find something beautiful from this a bit boring track.

"Dirty Black Hole" (4:27) has an interesting opening with music that bashes off with nice riffs followed with relatively fast tempo music accompanying high register notes vocal line. This song is quite energetic and as far as a listener, not a great fan of Vai, I would rather put this title as album name because it's much more attractive, musically than Sex & Religion. So, how about that Mr. Vai?

"Touching Tongues" (4:33) is a mellow song with guitar as lead melody. I think, Vai's guitar solo is good even though nothing special to my ears. It's probably the parts which sound like keyboard are the best parts. "Survive" (4:46) combines guitar effects and groovy music. It has vocal line and tight bass lines like Stanley Clarke's style. "Deep Down Into The Pain" (8:01) is essentially a rockin' track with unique guitar work and vocal line. "Rescue Me Or Bury Me" (8:25) has a good acoustic guitar work plus some guitar solo.

Overall, this is not a bad album at all but I do not consider something really unique from all songs offered in this album. It's probably this is not the kind of music that I enjoy most. Some people consider that this album as Vai's best album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild ...

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#152872) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Are you ready for the here & now?!

Sex & Religion really stands out in Steve Vai's discography. Indeed, it isn't a Steve Vai solo album, but credited instead to the band simply called Vai. As such, it is much more of a band effort instead of Steve Vai's usual individualistic guitar pyrotechnics. Here we have a strong set of proper progressive Metal songs with Devin Townsend on vocals. As is commonly the case when an album is different from its closest relatives, it gets a somewhat mixed reaction: some love it, others hate it. Personally, I really like this album and strongly prefer it over any Steve Vai album. There are admittedly a few very annoying moments here and there, but they are rather short and far between and can therefore be forgiven. Though, I initially gave this album a lower rating, it has stood the test of time and I have upgraded my rating to four stars.

The weakest part of the album comes towards the end with Pig and The Road To Mt. Calvary standing out as rather pointless. But these moments are in the end bearable in the context of and outweighed by the good music that dominates this disc.

There is overall a nice balance between rockers and ballads and between vocal and instrumental material. Vai's guitar work is, of course, fantastic, but it is the vehicle it gets through the band format and proper songs that really makes it gel. Devin Townsend does a good job behind the microphone and ranges from soft to harsh (though, a bit less of the latter would be good for me).

If Prog Metal is your favourite subgenre, this album is essential, especially given that it was released in 1993 when the genre was young. Sex & Religion is an underrated album that was before its time.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#228089) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 23, 2009

Review by The Crow
4 stars Just my favourite Steve Vai album!

Ok, I've not have heard all his studio albums yet, but "Sex & Religion" is just great... In this album, the awesome guitarist made a true band, and we can hear it through the songs. They sound really cohesionated, with protagonism of every insturment, not only the Vai's guitar.

And of course, here we have also the Devin Townsend's presence... It's his first official recording, and he has only 21 years, but he sounds really mature. His singing is just savage here! So variated as he would later offer us in his albums, but less restrictied, totally wild, sounding really spectacular. And Steve Vai gave him a lot of protagonism, letting his voice and screams sound in almost every second. For die hard Vai's fans, it can be annoying... But I really enjoy Townsend's voice, so I find it just great!

Nevertheless, people who want to enjoy the Steve Vai's guitar playing, will also have lots of reason of hearing this album... On every song we can enjoy the incredible speed of his fingers (he is the fastest guitarist in the world...), and his adventorous guitar tricks and melodies. You just have to hear the guitar solo in Here & Now... Songs like Touching Tongues and Rescue Me or Bury Me are perfect examples of his instrumental side, while in the rockier track his playing is also very enjoyable to fans of virtuoso guitar.

Best tracks: I really like every track in the album... I think every song has enough details and interest to be enjoyed. The rockier and hard rock oriented tracks (Here & Now, Sex and Religion, Survive...) the poppier ones (In my Dreams With You, Still My Bleeding Heart...) , the instrumentals and the most experimentals and proggier (Down Deep Into The Pain, Pig...) are great!

Conclusion: if you are a fan of virtuous guitar playing, experimental hard rock, or just good rock music... You should give "Sex & Religion" an opportunity. The hard rock and pop orientation (Desmond Child helped with In My Dreams With You) are also special in the Vai's discography... Mainly because Steve Vai was able to form a real band for this one, and it's noticeable in the protagonism of every instrument, and the very valuable presence of the awesome Devin Townsend, who was an essential part of the soul of this album. Strongly recommended!

My rating: ****1/2

Send comments to The Crow (BETA) | Report this review (#230169) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Review by Prog Leviathan
4 stars High energy, deceptively complex, rigorously creative, and rousing from start to finish, "Sex and Religion" is one hell of a rock album.

Vai's songwriting is instantly appealing, catchy, and spirited. Most of the songs have a straight- ahead rock vibe, sometimes approaching pop status, but underlying all of it is a nuanced production and truly dense sounding performances. The listener is constantly hit with infectious melodies, technical flourish, and razor's edge guitar work; these songs will stick with you. Vai's virtuosity is present everywhere with sonically creative and exciting solos, but never so overwhelming that one would guess that this is a "solo" album. "Sex and Religion" is very song-oriented, with each member contributing equally to the overall effect (and what a rhythm section!). Well... except one member...

If "Sex and Religion" will do one thing, it will either remind/initiate the listener into the loving fandom of Devin Townsend... or affirm the listener's relentless hatred of Townsend's powerfully excessive vocals. I LOVE Devin's screams, squeeks, wails, croons, and sustains, and am more than satisfied-- he is more crazy here than on most of his solo albums. How he hasn't suffered an aneurism from these screams is beyond me. He belts out Vai's engaging lyrics with passion and wild abandon, giving "Sex and Religion" a memorable and distinguishalbe stamp of style and pizzazz that only Devin can deliver. He almost passes out at the conclusion fo the title track (seriously). Recommended!

Songwriting: 3 Instrumental Performances: 4 Lyrics/Vocals: 4 Style/Emotion/Replay: 4

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#255810) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 13, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars So. Steve Vai assembled this band, and recorded this album with them under the name "Vai" (I suppose like the band "Bruford"). Essentially it's a power trio of Vai, Terry Bozzio on drums and T.M. Stevens on bass. Devin Townsend, apparently in his recording debut, provides the lead vocals, and does a fine job. So it's established that there is a lot of talent here.

The cover makes this album appear to be metal. But for the most part, it sounds like Vai was channelling his time with Whitesnake. There are a few very good songs, mostly where the energy is amped up (Vai does this better than just about anyone). But the majority of the songs are very well played arena rock.

I just don't come back to this album very often. And time after time, it doesn't live up to expectaqtions.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#561225) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Review by Negoba
2 stars The Grand Experiment Fails But....

At the time that SEX AND RELIGION was released, I had been a fully enmeshed guitar nerd for several years. I had Steve Vai's previous two solos records memorized as well as much of his sideman work. When I learned that Vai was assembling a new vocal supergroup which was to be progressive and pushing the boundaries, well I was extremely excited. I'd heard of Terry Bozzio and even T.M. Stevens before, but who the heck was Devin Townsend? The picture on the front cover was actually pretty encouraging. This seemed like a young art nerd rather than another big hair poser.

So I listened to the promo singles. Monster disappointment. Townsend's voice was actually really ordinary in tone, though holy crap he was willing to abuse it. The songs were pretty pop-oriented. The guitar playing wasn't anything I hadn't heard before. I borrowed the cassette tape from someone, lent it back, and never thought much more about this project. I was leaning toward blues and jazz at that point in my life, my shred lover phase was ending.

Fast forward to 2008 when I join this website. As I'm going through the charts I come to Experimental Metal and see Devin's name all over the album list. My reaction was "Holy Crap! That Guy???" Yes I had been in a hole for 10 years in terms of metal, guitar, and progressive music. No I had never heard of Strapping Young Lad. So bought Terria, was monstrously confused, and then it clicked. I am now a colossal Devy fanboy as most on this site know.

So here I am back at SEX AND RELIGION. It could have been amazing. But it's a mess. Hearing Devy young and raw is delicious as a historic reference, and in retrospect I don't know how other vocalists would have been able to tackle some of the wierdness on this disc. But all of the players are being forced to conform to the confines of Vai's compositions, and occasionally it works. Mostly it doesn't. If Townsend had been able to write melodies and lyrics this would have been a prog metal legend. The single song he did co-write, "Pig" sounded like massive noise at the time. But now it's delicious. Vai is being pushed out of his comfort zone, and Townsend's palette has been massively expanded. It alternates between an Extreme-like groove metal to Mr. Bungle with a PhD in music theory. To my knowledge, neither has ever produced another track quite like it.

The interlude tracks are also really good. When Vai is composing, rather than showing off, he's really quite good. The overture "An Earth Dweller's Return" and "State of Grace" are beautiful, quirky, and original. "Touching Tongues" is Steve's obligatory slow burn guitar solo piece and it's quite strong. But the core of the album is a slightly grooving angle on glam metal a la Extreme's Pornograffiti. "In My Dream With You" is frankly painful. "Still My Beating Heart" is nice enough but has an inane central melodic chorus and a painfully stupid outro. "Here and Now" is straight from Vai's Whitesnake or DLR bag of tricks. "Sex and Religion" and "Dirty Black Hole" are just trying way too hard by everyone. "Deep Down in the Pain" is probably the most successful of these kind of songs, with Devin being in his lyrical element. There are of course, yummy passages here and there throughout, but there is also a lot of stuff that just doesn't work.

One could argue that Devin Townsend was going to be part of popular music regardless of where he got his break. But I'm not so sure. Vai took a big risk with the kid and this band and for the most part lost. But the world won with Townsend getting big time exposure that has led to him now being one of the most important metal musicians of the last 15 years. Vai has gone on to do some work that it quite amazing, and some quite forgettable.

I would love to hear a mature project where these two musicians just go bonkers and push each other as far as they possibly can. It will never happen. This album is important historically but not particularly fun to listen to without very careful picking and chosing.

Thanks Steve for giving the kid a chance and introducing him to all of us.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#652128) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 09, 2012

3 stars Sex & Religion is technically an album by a band called Vai, distinct from Steve's solo work. The album features Devin Townsend on vocals, which is what initially made me excited to listen to this album. However, the actual music, while played by talented musicians and a talented vocalist, remains ... (read more)

Report this review (#921245) | Posted by Earendil | Friday, March 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars After Passion & Warfare (1990) my excpectation about the next work of Steve Vai was high... Sadly, at first moment Sex & Religion dissapointed me at the same level. But the years pass and you have to listen some albums from a differente perspective. So that's happen to me with S&R a very underr ... (read more)

Report this review (#103724) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, December 19, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I was just a kid in high school, learning to play guitar when I first heard Steve Vai's Flex-Able and it was an instant favorite. The guitar work was stunning, the compositions fascinating, and the quirky sense of humor made it an incredibly entertaining album I still enjoy to this day. Passion a ... (read more)

Report this review (#89946) | Posted by EvilGnome | Monday, September 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This was the second CD of Steve Vai I got and after "Passion & Warfare" my expectations were quite high. Unfortunately this time Vai didn't win me. Let me tell you why. "An Earth Dweller's Return" leads into the album like an erupting volcano, something Van Halen had done before on their debut ... (read more)

Report this review (#78883) | Posted by Guzzman | Saturday, May 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STEVE VAI "Sex & Religion (as Vai)"