ASTRAL PROJECTOR

Zon

Zon Astral Projector album cover

Buy ZON Music
Studio Album, released in 1978

1. Put on the Show (4:18)
2. Time for Your Love (3:15)
3. Point of View/Where to Spend My Dollars (8:02)
4. Man in the Mirror (5:24)
5. Talkin' About (3:08)
6. Melody (2:40)
7. On the Road (4:26)
8. Astral Projector (4:48)
9. Hollywood (4:18)

- Brian Miller / guitar, vocals
- Ken Hunt / drums
- Jim Sampson / bass

LP Escape Records

ZON MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ZON Astral Projector Music

Astral Projector/Back Down to EarthAstral Projector/Back Down to Earth
Escape 2007
Astral ProjectorAstral Projector
Epic
Vinyl$145.66

More places to buy ZON music online Buy ZON & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ZON DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ZON Astral Projector ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(13%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

ZON Astral Projector reviews

Review by loserboy
4 stars ZON were a 70's Canadian band who started out life with strong progressive rock leanings. "Astral Projector" is a wonderful album somewhere in the SAGA / STYX vein with powerful instrumentation and highly listenable song writing. ZON were a 5 piece band with the centre piece of the band lying in the theatrical vocals of lead singer (Denton Young) and the winding keyboard runs of Howard Helm. One of the trademarks of ZON were the vocal harmonies of Young, Helm and Brian Miller (guitars) who manage to cover the entire album with great energy.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#49591) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 30, 2005

Review by Tony R
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
1 stars I recently rescued this album from the attic and gave it a spin on my turntable for probably the first time in 25 years or so.I first became aware of Zon through Sounds a then prominent Uk Music Paper,who were fortunate to have among their editorial team a certain Geoff Barton.Geoff really helped to break the likes of Rush and to a lesser extent Max Webster in the UK and I remember him doing a feature on Canadian bands in the late 70's.Rush,Max Webster,April Wine who I was already familiar with were mentioned but I got drawn towards Zon because of the image of their striking album cover for Astral Projector.I managed to acquire it on import in an electric blue vinyl which made it difficult to select individual tracks,which turned out to be a blessing in disguise!

So my feelings now are much as they were then-there is a whole load of nothing going on here! "Hollywood" is the only track here that can hold my attention for longer than a couple of minutes.It has an interesting synth and guitar break as its set-piece and a theatrical vocal and that's it for the best track.

Trust me when I say that this album and indeed its dreadful follow up "Back Down To Earth" should never be allowed to trouble your ears.Take the worst of Styx and mix it with the worst of,well any late 70's AOR band and you get the picture.This may be Prog-Related but it is neither progressive nor rocky! They may need to be here for the purposes of the completionists but they really neednt be heard by Prog fans....

A massive thumbs down from me.

Send comments to Tony R (BETA) | Report this review (#49598) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 30, 2005

3 stars 3,5 stars !!! In this first work from the Canadian Band ZON "Astral Projector", as soon the track 1 "Put on the Show" starts is practically impossible not make some type of comparison with bands like Styx, The Sweet and Reo Speedwagon and others from prog/art rock molvement from the 70's. Is e ... (read more)

Report this review (#1280507) | Posted by maryes | Saturday, September 20, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars im sittin here crankin MAN IN THE MIRROR brings back memories, this came out in the days of early MAX WEBSTER, GODDO, TRIUMPH etc, this album rocks, if your born post 1970, stop reading now!! i first saw this band at my high school THE WOODLANDS knew every word and rocked with denton young.... ... (read more)

Report this review (#101183) | Posted by moondog | Thursday, November 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is a Canadian band I think from Toronto and if you want to try them I recommand ASTRAL PROJECTOR dont even try (BACK DOWN TO EARTH and I'M WORRIED ABOUT THE BOYS) because they are «TRASH«. You could say they are a mix between Styx, Saga and Deep Purple. Hard rock with a touch of prog or comm ... (read more)

Report this review (#70209) | Posted by pots | Wednesday, February 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars A friend of mine taped me a copy of this album on a blank cassette and the quality was preety hissy and poor, he taped me a copy saying if you like "PROG" you will like this, so I said "OK I will give a listen" I played the whole album and was very dissapointed not just of the tape copy I had ... (read more)

Report this review (#67860) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ZON "Astral Projector"