LIVE IN MAINZ, GEMANY 1974

King Crimson

King Crimson Live in Mainz, Gemany 1974 album cover

Buy KING CRIMSON Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2001

1. Improv: The Savage (2:12)
2. Dr Diamond (5:48)
3. Improv: Arabica (2:29)
4. Exiles (7:01)
5. Improv: Atria (6:14)
6. The Night Watch (5:07)
7. Starless (12:27)

- Robert Fripp / guitar, mellotron, electric piano
- David Cross / violin, mellotron, electric piano
- John Wetton / bass guitar, vocals
- Bill Bruford / drums, percussion

King Crimson Colletors' Club, Discipline Global Mobile DGM (Club15)
Soundboard recording from the 30th of March, 1974 concert in Mainz, Germany.

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

Buy KING CRIMSON Live in Mainz, Gemany 1974 Music

DGM 2014
DisciplineDiscipline
Red 30th Anniversary Edition RemasteredRed 30th Anniversary Edition Remastered
Discipline Us 2004
Starless (Deluxe box set)Starless (Deluxe box set)
Box set · Limited Edition
Discipline Global Mobile 2014
Three of a Perfect PairThree of a Perfect Pair
Extra tracks
Discipline Us 2006
Starless and Bible Black - 30th Anniversary Edition RemasteredStarless and Bible Black - 30th Anniversary Edition Remastered
Remastered
Discipline Us 2006
Islands: 40th Anniversary SeriesIslands: 40th Anniversary Series
Extra tracks · CD+DVD · Remastered
Discipline 2010
DVD Audio$15.45
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, 40th Anniversary EditionLarks' Tongues in Aspic, 40th Anniversary Edition
CD+DVD
CD starless and bibleblack ~ USD $11.23
CD the 21st century guide to king crimson vol. 2 ~ USD $37.72
LP the power to believe ~ USD $22.21
CD usa ~ USD $11.23

More places to buy KING CRIMSON music online Buy KING CRIMSON & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KING CRIMSON DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KING CRIMSON Live in Mainz, Gemany 1974 ratings distribution

KING CRIMSON Live in Mainz, Gemany 1974 reviews

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars This concert recording is actually a very good supplement for any serious collection of King Crimson's 1972-1974 era albums. There are lots of improvised material here, and also many special versions of their basic tracks. Surely many of these features can be found on other DGM releases as well, but this CD offers a very good selection of these on one disc. The recording quality is good in my opinion, though the sound tones aren't exceptional.

The first three of the songs are pleasantly extended with impressionistic free form sound wall openings, from where the composed songs then emerge. The starter "Improv: The Savage" / "Dr Diamond" is an excellent performance, clearly among the best versions of this song about "Train to Hell" so far which I have heard. This composition didn't do it on any of the band's studio albums, but it's present on many of their live recordings of years 1973-1974. "Improv: Arabica" opens "Exiles" with nice layers of percussions, and the performance is a very good, lasting ten minutes. "Improv: Atria" has some good parts, but there seems to be some problems to find a common direction in some moments too, and I think that this wasn't the best performance this group can do. Upcoming "The Night Watch" is then maybe the best version of this song, as it is here perfect with no edits or switches from one performance to other. Solos, changes and everything go perfectly well, for example when comparing to performances captured to "The Great Deceiver" box set. "Starless" is a good song, and this is a decent version, featuring those a bit clumsy early lyrics which may be interesting to spot if they not yet familiar. "Lament" is a good track too, and the next song "Improv: Trio" is an interesting track, as it isn't technically a complete improvisation anymore, it's more like a reprise of an earlier improvisation from the Amsterdam concert 1973. It has maybe evolved as a jam pattern, and a small embryo of composition growing up from it. Some themes of the songs "Lament", "Dr. Diamond" and "Fallen Angel" can be witnessed to born in the live recordings of the Muir-era line-up at 1972 in similar manner. And it's a pretty tune, a relieving contrast for the aggressive material done by this band. The final tune "Easy Money" is a finer version too, and it also had bit different lyrics on stage as it had on the studio album. If you like this band's live stuff, this is of course essential, and it's also a recommendable item for all prog fans.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#79852) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Review by Gatot
4 stars Are you Crimson lover? Get this!

It's still morning here when I am writing this review and it's raining. I have been running a personal project since two months ago: converting the CD collection that I have to 320 bit rate MP3 in order to make the music mobile, not carrying the physical CDs that are too heavy and space-hungry. After all, how can I do my regular cycling with bunch of CDs at my pannier? No way! I have to compromise it with my ears to accept whatever best sound coming out from my iPod. So I initiated the project and it's so tiring because too many already ini my collection. I start to think selling some of non-progressive CDs ....maybe.

This time is the time to convert all the King Crimson CDs. I was playing the music also when the PC did the ripping into MP3. I started with Lizard, In The Wake of Poseidon. In The Court ....and finally I got this 'Live in Mainz' which I think is one of the best King Crimson live records. Well, actually almost all of King Crimson records are excellent - especially if you a the Crimson lover. If you are the fan of KC I don't think you have the rationale for not buying this excellent concert with classic line-up and classic compositions. Oh man ... I really enjoy this concert very much and I repeated the album in its entirety because I love it. Yes there are many improvisations as you can see from the songs list ... But ...trust me, the improvisations are really excellent especially if you have Crimson mind and heart. I cannot believe with my ears listening how great these four gentlemen played their music. Awesome!

It started with Improv: The Savage (2:12) which basically the instrumental exploration of the four members and it serves the stage for next tracks. Dr Diamond (5:48) follows beautifully with great vocals of Wetton combined with jaw dropping Bruford drumwork. Oh man .... Bruford is a really uniqe drummer and fits 100% with King Crimson's music. Of course Mr Cross also provides his stunning violin work supported with howling guitar work of Fripp. Next tracks showcase how brilliant these musicians craft their performance differently from the studio version with improvisation (making new explorative songs like The Savage - Arabica) and modify their basic tracks but maintaining the tagline melody. Even, I can bet you if you are not KC lover but you have great attitude about prog music, you would definitely enjoy this musical exploration. It's really an excellent record!

Oh my God .... the band plays classic tracks 'Exiles' beautifully, continued with stunning performance of 'The Night Watch' after exploring with an improvisation track Atria. I tell you, you would really love it. It's classic and it's memorable. The other great talks include 'Starless' with great drumwork with nice 'feel' as the music turns into interlude and slow in tempo. Another favorite of mine Easy Money is also played excellently by the band.

For sure this is a MUST have for prog fans especially those who are fans of this legendary and inventor of progressive music. Highly recommended. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

(I repeat this album three times already this morning)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#444061) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 07, 2011

Post a review of KING CRIMSON "Live in Mainz, Gemany 1974"