TRIUMPH (AKA IN THE BEGINNING...)

Triumph

Triumph Triumph (aka In the Beginning...) album cover

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. 24 Hours a Day (4:35)
2. Be My Lover (3:17)
3. Don't Take My Life (4:45)
4. Street Fighter (3:30)
5. Street Fighter - reprise (3:02)
6. What's Another Day of Rock 'n' Roll (4:49)
7. Easy Life (3:56)
8. Let Me Get Next to You (3:00)
9. Blinding Light Show/Moonchild (8:43)

Search TRIUMPH Triumph (aka In the Beginning...) lyrics

Search TRIUMPH Triumph (aka In the Beginning...) tabs

- Rik Emmett / guitars, vocals
- Gil Moore / drums, vocals
- Michael Levine / bass
- Laurie Delgrande / keyboards

LP Attic Records (1976)

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH Triumph (aka In the Beginning...) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
Just a GameJust a Game
StagesStages
Progressions of PowerProgressions of Power
Tml Entertainment 2005
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH Triumph (aka In the Beginning...) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(12%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(31%)

TRIUMPH Triumph (aka In the Beginning...) reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

It has been almost twenty years since I listened to a Triumph album (all my vinyls stayed in Canada) so I got the albums from a friend on loan. Triumph to most Torontonian kids meant a whole lot more than just the second trio of the city. The debate whether they should be included here is a minor issue especially regarding their early albums. Yes Triumph were a good times and party RNR band but they had some good wildcards in their line-up. First a superb guitarist with an exceptional acoustic guitar skill In Rick Emmett, but also able to dish out the riffs like the best of the hard rock genre. A sort of crossover between Stotzem and Paco De Lucia on the acoustic side and Blackmore and Steve Perry on the riff side. Then they had also one of the hardest skin pounder in Gill Moore around rivalling with Moon, Powell Bonham etc... and he was the main singer on top of it. Mike Levine's bass playing is fine but not often heard clearly enough on the first generation Cds and he doubles up on Kbs but those remains discreet and just as symphonic layers.

The first three tracks are all good kick-ass RnR tracks with many tempo changes and heavy drumming and they resemble a bit the early Rush (Working Man & Anthem) , sometimes going to Aerosmith and Journey. The two part Street Fighter is the fist glimpse of their brilliance as the fist part is still riffy but there are many qualities that you will enjoy most notably Moore's good vocals sustain powers (while drumming away, he did those in concert too) and the second part starting from scratch to build up through many moods the song to end up with the full powered riffs of the first part.

The second side is built a little similar with three rock tracks depicting rock and roll lifestyle (one of their favourite subject) and resembling the first side but they are less inspired. Then comes the real monster: the Blinding Light Show, a full blown progressive track clocking in at almost 9 minutes and full of delightful atmospheres, good virtuosity, and great interplay. This is Triumph at their most......... Triumphant moment and the second most prog moment in their career after the three part epic The City in the following album.

Well after twenty years of rest, Triumph came back to liven up the many souvenirs of my turbulent teendom, and I had a real joy rediscovering (I had not forgotten any tracks) them , but to be fair from a prog point of view , they do sound a bit dated , a bit boyish rock and I cannot help but blush a bit at how I was so into the fabulous three bands from Toronto (Rush , Max Webster and Them) , but none seem to have the same effect nowadays. I hope I have not grown old before I die...... would say Roger Daltrey nowadays.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#51316) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
2 stars I picked up the album for only one reason, and it was a good reason. That was to hear the track from my youth for the first time in decades, "The Blinding Light Show/Moonchild". I knew in advance that this would probably remain the only reason to have this album, and indeed it is.

The other 8 tracks are generally tepid hard rock of the most mundane kind. Lyrics like "be my lover, slip under the cover" didn't even appeal to me when I was 18, and they sure don't now, nor do the street smart pretensions of living the rock and roll lifestyle exposed in "What's another Day of Rock and Roll". To me this is far more disingenuous than anything done by prog bands of the era - that "look Ma, we're stars, can't sing or write but can sure pick up chicks" attitude. Add to that the Geddy Lee-isms of "Street Fighter" among others and you have nearly unparallelled drivel. "Don't Take my Life" is the best of the bad lot, mostly because it borrows from classic 60s artists like Hendrix.

Yet where on earth does the brilliant "Blinding Light Show" come from? I submit it is a by product of the era. Any rock band in 1976 would have absorbed prog influences, and while Triumph made it clear early on that they were opting for sludge, they obviously left part of their heart in King Crimson/Led Zeppelin country. Even the "Moonchild" theme harkens back to KC. In any case, make no mistake that this song is worth the price of admission. It is not a suite but more a long piece of spacey prog with a number of recurring movements in different forms. The singing is passionate, the contrasts masterfully executed, and the acoustic guitars and string synths incorporated with care and skill.

2 stars just for track 9...do yourself a favour and skip the others.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#127781) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 06, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars In the beginning there was... confusion!

There seem to be a number of different versions of Triumph's debut album some of which include tracks from their second album. Some versions are simply called Triumph, while others are called In The Beginning and yet others Rock 'N' Roll Machine. The version I have is not identical with any album listed here but has several of the same tracks as this album. It starts with Takes Time which is a rather straightforward party hard rocker. It continues with Bringing It On Home which features acoustic verses and a hard rocking chorus and some nice riffs and solos. Rocky Mountain Way is, I think a cover song, and it is not too interesting as it is a rather straightforward Blues rocker.

Then there is the two part Street Fighter and Street Fighter (Reprise), the latter of which is an acoustic song with a strong vocal performance and the first a fast tempo Hard Rock song. The next number is the party rocker 24 Hours A Day which might have the cheesiest chorus ever created. But the verses are musically and vocally strong. And then there is the almost nine minutes long Blinding Light Show/Moonchild which alone makes this album worthwhile (regardless of which version we're talking about as long as it features this song). Triumph is not a great band and also not a progressive band, but they surely have their moments and this song is their very finest and most progressive moment. It features a very strong vocal melody, symphonic keyboards in higher quantity than on any other Triumph song, great electric and acoustic guitar parts, some choir and several changes in sound and tempo throughout. It is a truly excellent song! To think that this brilliant song would rub shoulders with such pedestrian Rock 'N' Roll numbers as 24 Hours A Day and the album closer Rock 'N' Roll Machine is hard to believe.

One thing is for sure, Triumph could make great music when they put their minds to it. They are great musicians with a certain charm to their sound. Sadly, they wanted to focus mainly on rather straightforward Rock numbers. There are certainly some less than good moments here (and that seems to be so regardless of which version you find), there are though a few good moments and one excellent song that almost make up for that, but not quite still. Therefore I will rate this with two strong stars. It is not Triumph's best album overall, but it does feature their best song. The song is highly recommended, but as album considered this is not for everybody.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#250633) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 14, 2009

Post a review of TRIUMPH "Triumph (aka In the Beginning...)"