ONE SMALL STEP...

Buy MANNING Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

1. In Swingtime (4:30)
2. Night Voices (5:56)
3. No Hiding Place (9:33)
4. The Mexico Line (7:02)
ONE SMALL STEP...(Parts (I-VIII)
5. One Small Step (Part I - Star Gazing) (4:34)
6. One Small Step (Part II - For Example) (3:03)
7. One Small Step (Part III - At The End Of My Rope) (2:04)
8. One Small Step (Part IV - Man Of God) (2:36)
9. One Small Step (Part V - A Blink Of The Eye) (4:56)
10. One Small Step (Part VI - God Of Man) (2:30)
11. One Small Step (Part VII - Black & Blue) (7:26)
12. One Small Step (Part VIII - Upon Returning) (3:28)

Search MANNING One Small Step... lyrics

Search MANNING One Small Step... tabs

- Guy Manning / vocals, keyboards, acoustic 6/12 & classical guitars, electric guitar, mandolin, bass, drums & percussion, kitchen sink

Guest musicians:
- Laura Fowles / saxes, vocals
- Gareth Harwood / electric lead guitars
- Ian Fairbairn / fiddle
- Rick Ashton / additional / bass, backing vocals
- Martin Orford / flute (5 & PARTS I-VIII)

CD Progrock PRR139 (2005)

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MANNING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANNING One Small Step... Music

CHAIN toward the blues 1972 OZ PROG HEAVY BLUES Matt Taylor Phil Manning US $38.22 [7 bids]
CHAIN child of the street VERY RARE OZ PROG HEAVY BLUES Matt Taylor Phil Manning US $52.19 [11 bids]
Network - Bishop Kent Manning [Vinyl New] US $14.25 Buy It Now 1h 58m
PHIL MANNING S/T OZ BLUES PROG ROCK CHAIN Jim Keays Masters Apprentices MINT US $30.73 [10 bids]
Ziggy Elman & His Orchestra "1947" CIRCLE MONO JAZZ LP BOB MANNING & V. MAXEY US $22.99 Buy It Now 5h 11m
BERNARD MANNING All Time 40 Singalong Party 1975 UK Vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $7.47 Buy It Now 8h 56m
Train PAT MONAHAN w/ Roger Manning JELLYFISH Buddy Holly TRK PROMO DJ CD single US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 14m
Terry Manning - Home Sweet Home 180G LP REISSUE NEW Ardent Stax producer Memphis US $16.82 Buy It Now 13h 46m
JOAN MANNING: American Debut LP (some cw, sl corner bend) Vocalists US $18.00 Buy It Now 15h 12m
RARE 1970 Pop/Psych LP~~~RICHARD TWICE~~~Atkimns & Manning~~~PHS-600-332 US $5.99 [0 bids]
NETWORK - BISHOP KENT MANNING NEW VINYL US $21.26 Buy It Now 17h 49m
GRUNTZ / CHOTJEWITZ / MURPHY / MANNING / NEWTON - MAGIC OF A FLUTE NEW CD US $39.46 Buy It Now 17h 49m
Rare Country 45-Linda Manning-Completely Lose Control-Fraternity-#4890-M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 5m
LUYTENS / MANNING / LANE'S MINSTRELS / MONTGOMERY - CHAMBER CONCERTO 2 / NEW CD US $26.09 Buy It Now 23h 38m
PHIL MANNING I Wish There Was A Way 1974 OZ 45 - CHAIN US $13.50 Buy It Now 1 day
MONTGOMERY/MANNING/JANES MINST - PAYNE:DAY IN LIFE OF A MAYFLY [CD NEW] US $14.61 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Manning by Manning, Roger US $4.87 Buy It Now 1 day
The Network Bishop Kent Manning 2009 CD Metal Music Album Brand New US $11.64 Buy It Now 1 day
Barbara Manning & Seymour Glass - February 8, 1992 - 7" 45rpm Majora US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
OLLIE WOTNOT PROMO/DJ 45 VG CINEMA RECORDS DICK MANNING US $2.99 [0 bids]
Dick Manning 45 Dancing Princess NM/Space Express Theme 1962 Promo Jazz 45 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Charles Manning & His Granada Orch Schuberts Unfinished 10" 78 Rpm Gramophone US $19.96 Buy It Now 1 day
PAYNE / MANNING / NASH ENSEMBLE / BRADSHAW - PHOENIX MASS NEW CD US $26.09 Buy It Now 1 day
LINDA MANNING - YOU'RE LOVING ME TO DEATH // SHADE TREE MECHANIC - ROULETTE EX US $3.80 [0 bids]
MANNING SMITH: Square Dancing (country vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB MANNING All I desire / The nearness of you 78 CAPITOL CL13958 US $21.62 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB MANNING Lonely Spell JAPAN LTD MINI LP CD SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NETWORK - BISHOP KENT MANNING NEW CD US $16.93 Buy It Now 2 days
Marty Manning & The Cheetahs Sunny / Tarzan March Columbia 43749 VG 45 Promo US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Chuck Manning - Notes From The Real [CD New] US $14.17 Buy It Now 2 days
Skip Manning Ham N Eggs/Devil Blues RnB Blues Vinyl 45 Listen US $11.64 Buy It Now 2 days
Matthew Manning - Waltzin' an Angel (1996) US $8.97 Buy It Now 2 days
MAW / MILNER / MANNING / PALMER / HOWELLS - MUSIC FOR VOICES & ORCHESTRA NEW CD US $22.27 Buy It Now 2 days
JOHN MANNING WHITE BEAR 1971 VINYL LP ALBUM RECORD COLUMBIA C 30741 FOLK COUNTRY US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SAN FRANCISCO SEALS - No Where (1994) MATADOR Barbara Manning US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BOB MANNING, " MY LOVE SONG TO YOU " US $3.00 [0 bids]
MAX GOMEZ Rule the World SEALED CD w/ SHAWN MULLINS Roger Manning GREG LEISZ US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Barbara Manning 1212 1997 Matador US $16.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Double Fiddle Time - CD Lisa Manning & Derek Deakins 2004 Bobby Osborne Reels US $4.44 Buy It Now 2 days
Jesters Sing A Song of Peace Manning Ave 45 Hear it US $7.00 [0 bids]
Barbara Manning - "1212" - Matador OLE 221-1 - SEALED US $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
The Ray Manning Singers Songstylists On A Mission CASSETTE TAPE! US $7.19 Buy It Now 2 days
BOB MANNING - My Love Song To You / After My Laughter Came Tears CAPITOL 78rpm US $6.76 Buy It Now 2 days
MANNING SMITH/RHYTHM OUTLAWS of TEXAS--PICTURE SLEEVE + 45-SQUARE DANCE--PS-PIC US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
28th Day - self titled S/T 1985 LP Barbara Manning, Cole Marquis EX+ 1st press US $17.50 Buy It Now 2 days
MANNING SMITH SQUARE DANCING COLUMBIA LP US $25.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Clarity of Vision by Lynn Manning (CD, Aug-1994, New Alliance) US $3.77 [0 bids]
Cass McCombs - Bradley Manning / Empty Promises 7" w/ postcard US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Renee Manning Jazz CD " Uhm..Uhm..Uhmmm...! " 1991 NOS In Orig. Packaging US $16.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Volume 1 by Manning, Dayna US $2.80 Buy It Now 3 days
Bob Manning - The Nearness of You 45 rpm 7' Original Vinyl Issue US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Lynn Manning - Clarity of Vision CD Selected Poems US $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Roger Manning Alternative Folk SST LP 1988 with Insert US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Barbara Manning Forced Exposure 7" Rare! US $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LINDA MANNING"IF THERE'S NOT A HEAVEN/MONO"1970 DJ HEAR US $4.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Barbara Manning And The Go-Luckys! - You Should Know By Now LP - Innerstate - Ol US $19.70 Buy It Now 3 days
45rpm~SNYDER,Bill/Dick Manning~Fanny/It Might As Well Be Spring~Vinyl Record~VG US $2.00 Buy It Now 3 days
THE RAY MANNING SINGERS-Look What You're Missing-GOSPEL US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Manning - Root The Leaf & The Bone [CD New] US $23.18 Buy It Now 3 days
Barbara Manning W/ Flophouse B4 We Go Under US $17.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Broadway #1239: Harold Manning And Orchestra - "I'll Get By" & "Avalon Town" E- US $4.99 [0 bids]
Dayna Manning : Volume 1 CD (1997) US $3.25 Buy It Now 3 days
One Perfect Green Blanket cd Barbara Manning (1991 Heyday) ex 28th Day SF rocker US $6.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Marty Manning - The Dancing Voices Go Latin MGM E4106 Mono EX! US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Gelber & Manning - Gelber & Manning Goes Public [CD New] US $19.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Linda Manning "Sweeter Than Sweet/Our World Of Rock & Roll" Orig 45 RPM Bulletin US $31.99 Buy It Now 3 days
35K M- Linda Manning hello little lover Gaylord US $1.50 [1 bids]
BALLAD OF ARCHIE WHO? Archie Manning Ole Miss Rebels 1970 FOOTBALL HODDY TODDY US $0.99 [0 bids]
Brett Manning's Singing Success : A Systematic Vocal Training Program by Brett M US $69.88 [1 bids]
MATT TAYLOR PHIL MANNING BAND OZ BLUES VINYL RECORD LP 12" w/INNER US $60.52 Buy It Now 3 days
The San Francisco Seals-Now Here Barbara Manning US $4.00 [0 bids]
(MALCOLM McCALLUM-Naked to the Sky )-Phil Manning/Rick Formosa-G4-LP US $10.23 Buy It Now 4 days
"7"-Barbara Manning-Don't let it Bring you down '90 punk forced exposure US $9.99 [0 bids]
BOB MANNING Shine On You 12" US $13.73 Buy It Now 4 days
V/A- El Paso Rock: Vol. 7 - Terry Manning & The Wild... NEW SEALED LP ROCK VINYL US $18.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Dayna Manning, Vol. 1 Dayna Manning MUSIC CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Roger Joseph Manning Jr JELLYFISH New Mistake RADIO PROMO DJ CD Single 1993 US $39.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Barbara Manning - In New Zealand USA Shipping Included US $6.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Pop Promo 45 VIC DAMONE WITH MARTY MANNING Unafraid on Columbia (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Pop Promo 45 BUNNY PAUL WITH MARTY MANNING'S MUSIC Who Am I Foolin'? on Capitol US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Capitol Records 45 RPM Bob Manning The Very Thought Of You EAP 1-585 US $4.99 [0 bids]
CASS MCCOMBS**BRADLEY MANNING (7 INCH W/POSTCARD**VINYL US $7.38 Buy It Now 4 days
28th Day 1985 LP Barbara Manning US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
star wars theme cd interstellar force Roger Manning dj swamp Randy J US $8.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SAN FRANCISCO SEALS No Where '94 nowhere MATADOR Barbara Manning 28th day LP OOP US $35.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Roger Manning : Roger Manning CD (1994) US $4.87 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Manning Robinson ~ Phoenix Rising 1993 (RARE) Audio CD US $6.55 Buy It Now 4 days
Dayna Manning : Volume 1 CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 4 days
JOHN MANNING / White Bear MINI LP CD NEW The American Dreamer , Nick Venet US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
RARE private seattle BLACK GOSPEL lp AMAZING MANNING BROTHERS LIVE xian SOUL 70s US $9.99 [0 bids]
RENEE MANNING AS IS Ken record US $20.79 Buy It Now 5 days
Barbara Manning - One Perfect Green Blanket - CD - FASTPOST US $16.63 Buy It Now 5 days
Roger Manning - Self-Titled LP with Insert US $9.49 Buy It Now 5 days
VILLA-LOBOS / GOMEZ / MANNING / PLEETH CELLO OCTET -LOBOS / GOMEZ / NEW CD US $17.69 Buy It Now 5 days
ROGER MANNING - Roger Manning (CD 1988) US $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
IMPERIAL DRAG+1 JAPAN CD Roger Joseph Manning Jellyfish US $15.29 Buy It Now 5 days
BARBARA MANNING-SUPER SCISSORS-REMASTERED 2007 3xCD BOX-MINT US $19.96 Buy It Now 5 days
JOHN MANNING / RHOADS / YI-YANG -YANG - FOUR CORNERS NEW CD US $22.27 Buy It Now 5 days
Carol Ann Duffy: Manchester Carols (Sasha Johnson Manning, Richard Tanner) (Nax US $8.51 Buy It Now 5 days
Manning - Margaret's Children [CD New] US $15.52 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy MANNING music online Buy MANNING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANNING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANNING One Small Step... ratings distribution

MANNING One Small Step... reviews

3 stars 3.5 stars.This latest release from Guy is less complex instrumentally than his past work but he makes up for it with amazing melodies and lyrics. Other than the usual instruments we have fiddle, sax and flute. Actually Martin Orford (IQ) guests on flute. It's interesting that Guy uses some of the same melodies on different songs, so he takes you back to what is familiar.

There are a few songs that really stand out for me,"Night Voices" is simply beautiful and uplifting, "The Mexico Line" featuring fiddle and piano, is just a really good tune. I like Guy's passionate vocals too. And "Black And Blue" which is guitar driven, including some beautiful soaring guitar. I like the flute from Orford as well.

The last 8 songs are really 8 parts of one song called "One Small Step...". From what I understand he's asking the question "Why are we so intent on exploring space when ?...and we have 8 different topics, scenerios or questions to that main question. A lot of thought went into this record, especially the lyrics and song structures, and on top of all this if you like Folk, well... you'll die for this one !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#95542) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 23, 2006

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
2 stars This prolific British troubadour focuses on space exploration on this 2005 release. The first few couple of songs are actually the highlights, suffused with his warm baritone and elegant lyrical and musical phrasings. "In Swingtime" is suave and suits its title, with gently bouncing arrangements, while "Night Voices" is a classic melodic Manning ballad. While "No Hiding Place" and "The Mexico Line" are more complex, they lack the simple appeal of the previous tracks while remaining song oriented.

As is usual for Manning, the lion's share of his efforts, and his main beef, is applied to a suite. While several components are emotional and communicated with conviction, such as "Man of God" and its bookend, "God of Man", the majority seems to forget to generate excitement. "Star Gazing", "Black and Blue" and "Blink of an Eye" are far more verbose than what we have come to expect, a bit too blunt, even trite lyrically ("we're only here for a moment", "the great escape of the monkey into man", oof), while the instrumentation seems overly subservient to Guy's message. A plodding bluesy feel seems to be the mood du jour here, and not what we have come to expect from Manning, whatever theme he may be exploring. Unfortunately it doesn't really work, as it needs some sort of infusion. All the instrumentation is there, the voice is there, but the material and the execution are both somewhat wanting.

Compared to Manning's earlier efforts, "One Small Step" is at best sideways, at worst a retrenchment.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#168769) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 26, 2008

Review by Gatot
3 stars Progcustic!

One thing for sure when the first time I spun this album it reminded me to Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull acoustic work in terms of style and compositions. But when I look into deep there are differences between the two. First is the fact that this one by Manning does not depend in itself with flute rather it relies on saxes. Second, Manning's voice has less accentuation as compared to Anderson's even though there are some similarities in some music passages. Third, the use of acoustic guitar in this album is much more intense. Despite the differences, I almost pretty sure that if you like Jethro Tull acoustic version, you would definitely like this album. It's a joy listening to this album.

The opening track "In Swingtime" (4:30) is basically an upbeat music performed unplugged using acoustic guitar as main rhythm section augmented beautifully with string arrangements and drum beats. Through this track you might say close proximity of the song with Jethro Tull's acoustic music. Of course the nice sax solo played by Laura Fowles makes it different. It's a good track especially in terms of the smooth flow as well as melody line. The second track "Night Voices" (5:56) is my favorite due to it has an excellent tagline melody with reasonable number of changes in moods. The opening part with acoustic guitar augmented beautifully with string section has made a good impression in the very beginning of the track. When the vocal line by Manning enters into music stream, it sounds nicely. The chorus line is excellent. As with the opening track this one has a good flow as well. "The Mexico Line" (7:02) is a bit different with the first two tracks as it has some country elements.

The central focus of this album is probably the epic that comprises 8 parts where each part is represented by one track. It starts nicely with dynamic acoustic guitar at first part "Part I - Star Gazing" (4:34) which has some kind of mellotron work. Again, Manning vocal line is similar with Anderson. The music turns into more energetic nature in the second part "Part II - For Example" (3:03) where acoustic guitars sound aggressively here. "Part III - At The End Of My Rope" (2:04) provides some sort of musical break as the music is cooling down. "Part IV - Man Of God" (2:36) is another favorite of mine especially in the way Manning sings - it's excellent! The use of flute in "Part V - A Blink Of The Eye" (4:56) is really nice especially with the combination of acoustic guitar work. The epic flows nicely until Part VIII with consistent use of acoustic guitars as main rhythm section and sometimes takes control of melody as well. "Part VII - Black & Blue" (7:26) has a great opening especially with its bluesy nuance coupled with flute and saxes. The electric guitar solo is also stimulating. The epic concludes with "Part VIII - Upon Returning" (3:28).

Overall this is a good album which has solid composition, brilliant songwriting by Guy Manning and there are many prog elements in this album. I'd rather categorize the music as progressive acoustic (progcustic). The other interesting point of this album is its artwork by Ed Unitsky who used to design The Tangent albums. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#176597) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars After listening to Guy Manning´s latest two releases (the magnificent Ten and the brilliant Songs From The Bilson House) I felt the urge to find out more about this talented and prolific artist. A few years ago I bought One Small Step but I was disappointed at the time (I guess I was expecting something like The Tangent, the main reason I went looking for one of Manning´s records). So I felt the urge to hear it again under a new light. After all, Manning may be an important part of The Tangent, but his solo career has a style of his own. Besides, I had no recollection of what One Small Step sounded like.

Well, as much as I adore his later work, after repeated spins of the record, I still think One Small step as not at the same league as the last two. At least partially. The first two tracks, In Swingtime and Night Voices are excellent songs bearing all the trademarks of his best works: great melodies, clever lyrics, stunning arrangements and the overall feeling they couldn´t be better delivered. Both songs would be featured on either Ten or Songs... Unfortunatly the introduction and chorus of No Hiding Place reminds too much of 80´s pop cliches for my taste. Not a bad song (the maniacal sax solo during the strange middle section kind of saves the day), but not my cup of tea. The next track is Mexican Border, another tune that is not very inspiring. Again not bad, but quite below Manning´s usual excelent standard composition.

The centerpiece of the album is the 30 minute suite One Small Step. It is devided in 8 parts and while I found the lyrics very well done and interesting, the music fell short on this one. It seemed that Manning could not give the words the same exciting and varied musical landscape to go with them as he did so brilliantly on some of his works (like the masterpiece The House On The Hill from Ten). I like it, but I feel some kind of musical climax is missing. I guess it sounds better live than on the studio (the storytelling is fine).

All in all I found this CD to be better than I first thought. It has its merits and I´m glad to have bought it after all. But it is not for the newbie. If you´re new to Manning´s career you better get either Ten or Songs From The Bilson House before tackling this one. My final rating3,5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#233398) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009

4 stars Mixed impressions about this album. Based mainly in an acoustic mode, the first half consist in four traditional songs, and the rest is an epic tracked in 8 parts. The first half is simply outstanding, specially the first three songs. Great melody lines with Guy Manning voice shining all the t ... (read more)

Report this review (#1076599) | Posted by genbanks | Thursday, November 14, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Prog down the acoustic path. This is the seventh album from Guy Manning. The long album songs hints on Guy Manning going symph prog. To a certain degree, this is true. But instead of layer upon layers of electric instruments like keyboards and electric guitars, Guy Manning has largely gone acou ... (read more)

Report this review (#584039) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, December 07, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is a superb album centered around the ambitious 30 minute epic suite One Small Step... A different again album to its predecessor A Matter of Life and Death, but there again I am quickly finding out that the patterns & style of a MANNING album seem to change on an album by album basis. T ... (read more)

Report this review (#160318) | Posted by Topograph | Thursday, January 31, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars As a big fan of Guy, I have to say that my initial impression of this new album is disappointment. It is nothing to do with the musicianship but I find that the epic is not quite at the level of his previous ones and, for the first time, find that some of the songs are a bit too much for Guy' ... (read more)

Report this review (#70907) | Posted by | Thursday, March 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Manning - One Small Step Progrock Records (PRR139) The latest release from the prolific 'Manning', One Small Step, sees the talented troubadour in a more thoughtful and dare I say artistic mood. Fear not, all the usual Manning trademarks are still here, superb melody, strong rhythm, vocals ... (read more)

Report this review (#62171) | Posted by Paul Baker | Thursday, December 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guy Manning makes intriguing music every time and this won't be the one to let you down. At this pace, he may never slip or fall. He's surely made steps in the right direction. While his albums are broken into tracks, they usually follow one long theme. The whole album could be seen as one ... (read more)

Report this review (#58953) | Posted by | Friday, December 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guy Manning doesn't like to be called a singer/songwriter. That evokes images of the Joni Mitchells and the Bob Dylans of the world, and it's true that his music has little in common with those luminaries. Manning's sound is very different - it is full, with layer upon layer of progressive ins ... (read more)

Report this review (#58884) | Posted by | Friday, December 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars After last years almost perfect "A Matter Of Life and Death", my expectations for this new album were very high indeed. I really thought that Guy would have a hard job equalling, never mind bettering the quality of songwriting and playing on that disc. But he has and how! Whereas "A Matter of ... (read more)

Report this review (#58883) | Posted by larky | Friday, December 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MANNING "One Small Step..."