ONE SMALL STEP...

Buy MANNING Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

1. In Swingtime (4:30)
2. Night Voices (5:56)
3. No Hiding Place (9:33)
4. The Mexico Line (7:02)
ONE SMALL STEP...(Parts (I-VIII)
5. One Small Step (Part I - Star Gazing) (4:34)
6. One Small Step (Part II - For Example) (3:03)
7. One Small Step (Part III - At The End Of My Rope) (2:04)
8. One Small Step (Part IV - Man Of God) (2:36)
9. One Small Step (Part V - A Blink Of The Eye) (4:56)
10. One Small Step (Part VI - God Of Man) (2:30)
11. One Small Step (Part VII - Black & Blue) (7:26)
12. One Small Step (Part VIII - Upon Returning) (3:28)

Search MANNING One Small Step... lyrics

Search MANNING One Small Step... tabs

- Guy Manning / vocals, keyboards, acoustic 6/12 & classical guitars, electric guitar, mandolin, bass, drums & percussion, kitchen sink

Guest musicians:
- Laura Fowles / saxes, vocals
- Gareth Harwood / electric lead guitars
- Ian Fairbairn / fiddle
- Rick Ashton / additional / bass, backing vocals
- Martin Orford / flute (5 & PARTS I-VIII)

CD Progrock PRR139 (2005)

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MANNING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANNING One Small Step... Music

CHAIN Black & Blue / Lightning Ground 1971 Oz Blues 45 Matt Taylor Phil Manning US $25.65 Buy It Now 2h 44m
NEW - Drive by Manning-Dickson US $5.65 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Bob Manning - All Night Radio [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Manning,Kim - Good People [CD New] US $15.11 Buy It Now 3h 39m
ZRG 907 BENNETT Spells, Aubade MANNING PO WILLCOCKS ATHERTON ARGO STEREO UK 1979 US $8.43 Buy It Now 6h 49m
CD VARIOUS "TERRY MANNING AND WILD ONES EL PASO ROCK VOL 7" NORTON ROCK N ROLL US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 33m
GLENN MILLER AEF BAND/DINAH SHORE/IRENE MANNING- LOST RECORDINGS 2-CD (36 TRKS) US $4.01 Buy It Now 7h 44m
Barbara Manning - 1212 (1997) cd US $4.55 Buy It Now 8h
LINDA MANNING ~ I Feel A Cry Coming On ~rare country promo ~ RICE US $16.00 Buy It Now 12h 2m
ROYAL JESTERS: Sing A Song Of Peace / Manning Ave. 45 Soul US $25.00 Buy It Now 13h 31m
The Glands Of External Secretion Northern Exposure LP Barbara Manning US $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 26m
Barbara Manning One Perfect Green Blanket 1991 Rare US $50.00 Buy It Now 14h 49m
Terry Manning - Home Sweet Home LP NEW/SEALED 180 gram reissue US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h
One Night Only (CD) Honky Tonk Roadshow Bob Manning US $8.16 Buy It Now 15h 18m
Bill Snyder & Dick Manning "Hidden Valley/Cimarron" ABC-Paramount US $0.50 [0 bids]
BARBARA MANNING & GO-LUCKYS - YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW US $11.82 Buy It Now 15h 39m
The Banjo Barons Play Golden Hawaiian Hits - Marty Manning - Vinyl Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
Manning, John: tuba-Four Corners: Tuba Music fro CD NEW US $16.26 Buy It Now 16h 39m
"7"-Barbara Manning-Don't let it Bring you down '90 punk forced exposure US $9.99 [0 bids]
Barbara Manning - Wtih Flophouse - B4 We Go Under - Vinyl 7" single Silkscreened US $17.99 Buy It Now 19h 54m
Madeline Manning Jackson - Running for Jesus - Brand New LP in Orig Shrinkwrap US $23.00 Buy It Now 20h 46m
Jayne Manning-Encore CD NEW US $16.20 Buy It Now 1 day
MANNING-AKOUSTIK CD NEW US $20.16 Buy It Now 1 day
Linda Manning Buy Me Something Pretty Joey RARE 7" Single Country KING UK 66 EX+ US $5.05 Buy It Now 1 day
PHIL MANNING ROCK THIS BOAT 1990 CANADA ROCK LP SEALED US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gravel Road by Lisa Manning (CD, 2007, Lisa Manning) US $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BERNARD MANNING 'HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART?' UK 7" SINGLE US $8.43 Buy It Now 1 day
BERNARD MANNING- I ONLY LIVE FOR YOU VINYL 7" 45RPM US $1.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Imperial Drag - Imperial Drag, Roger Joseph Manning Jr PROMO ADVANCE CD NEW SEAL US $14.99 [0 bids]
MANNING SMITH & THE RHYTHM OUTLAWS "JOHNSON RAG" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Murray,Kimberly & Bob Manning - One Night Only [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 1 day
KIMBER MANNING-EVENTUALLY-RARE OOP ADVANCE PROMO CD-2006-11 TRACKS-R+K US $3.00 [0 bids]
BOB MANNING, " MY LOVE SONG TO YOU " US $3.00 [0 bids]
45 RPM-Margaret Manning/I'll Remember You - Silver Leaf Label - DJ Copy US $3.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Lynn Manning Clarity of Vision CD *SEALED* US $4.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Manning by Roger Manning Alternative Rock New And Sealed Free USA Shipping US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD01 MANNING PAULY CREDIT WHERE DUE ROCK STAR BONUS POWER PROG ROCK US $4.77 [0 bids]
RARE private seattle BLACK GOSPEL lp AMAZING MANNING BROTHERS LIVE xian SOUL 70s US $9.99 [0 bids]
BOB MANNING - JUST WHAT I WANTED NEW CD US $21.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Gospel Soul Bishop Manning And The Manning Family Manning's Gospel Train US $8.99 [2 bids]
MATT TAYLOR PHIL MANNING BAND OZ BLUES ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $52.22 Buy It Now 1 day
HEARTS DON'T LIE - Film Sheet Music - Fun And Games - Manning Sherwin US $23.66 Buy It Now 2 days
Bernard Manning-I Only Live For You 7" UK Decca 45 1974 US $5.92 Buy It Now 2 days
Bernard Manning(7" Vinyl)I Only Live With You-Decca-F 13511-UK-VG/Ex US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BARBARA MANNING - 1212 - NEW CD US $8.14 Buy It Now 2 days
FASCINATION Waltz Song - 50's Sheet Music - DICK MANNING - F.D Marchetti US $16.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Anthony Manning - Chromium Nebulae - VERY RARE 1995 UK CD MINT Ambient Abstract US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Barbara Manning "One Perfect Green Blanket" (Heyday) MINT Cndt CD - OOP US $0.99 [0 bids]
Terry Manning ?- Home Sweet Home Brand New Sealed CD Psychedelic Rock US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RAY MANNING SINGERS - BROTHER VERNARD JOHNSON PRESENTS (SEALED GOSPEL LP) US $9.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Barbara Manning Sings With the Original Artists by Barbara Manning (CD,... US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LINDA MANNING (60's OBSCURE COUNTRY) ~ I FEEL A CRY COMING ON ~ RICE PROMO US $5.99 [0 bids]
Broadway #1239: Harold Manning And Orchestra - "I'll Get By" & "Avalon Town" E- US $4.99 [0 bids]
MARTY MANNING & CHEETAHS: Sunny / Tarzan 45 (dj, tol, wol) Soul US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE RAY MANNING SINGERS ~ SELF TITLED ~ GOSPEL-FUNK-SOUL LP. VG+++ US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Manning,Terry - Home Sweet Home [Vinyl New] US $21.16 Buy It Now 2 days
CARGOE Feel Alright + Tokyo Love 45 US 1972 Terry Manning orig Ardent ADA-2901 US $47.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Manning songs from the bilston.. CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE_NETWORK (METAL) - BISHOP KENT MANNING [SLIPCASE] * - NEW CD US $6.61 Buy It Now 2 days
MANNING - AKOUSTIK - NEW CD US $14.93 Buy It Now 2 days
SF Seals "Still?" 7" OOP Barbara Manning vinyl US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
JIM KEAYS Boy From Stars Oz PROG LP Masters Apprentices 70s Vinyl PHIL MANNING US $59.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Clarity of Vision by Lynn Manning (CD, Aug-1994, New Alliance) US $3.77 [0 bids]
BERNARD MANNING mackeson surprise 7" flexi disc in pic slv uk - US $8.43 Buy It Now 3 days
MADELINE LP RUNNING FOR JESUS MADELINE MANNING JACKSON US $5.00 [0 bids]
45 RPM Vinyl Record Bob Manning, EAP 1-279, Capitol Records PS 45AME2 US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATNIK BEATCH 1988 Debut CD Roger Manning, Andy Strummer (Jellyfish) US $3.99 [0 bids]
ROGER MANNING SELF TITLED ROCK LP MINT US $4.95 Buy It Now 3 days
World Open Championships-Manning Bowl 1969-Volume 1-LP-Fleetwood-VG+ US $9.19 Buy It Now 3 days
Pop 45 Bob Manning - Gypsy Girl / The Nearness Of You On Capitol US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Saint Louis Commissions, Manning, Rorem, Good US $13.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Lilith Fair: A Celebration of Women in Music, Dayna Manning, Victoria Williams, US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CAPITAL VIRTUOSI Jonathan Plowright Rita Manning Briony Shaw SOUND PROJECTS US $11.75 Buy It Now 3 days
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Manning, Dayna: Shades Import US $43.94 Buy It Now 3 days
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ LIKE NEW CD Manning, Dayna: Shades Import US $30.95 Buy It Now 3 days
SEALED 12"~BOOMKAT~[TARYN MANNING]~Dj QUIK~THUNDERPUSS~The Wreckoning~[x4 Mixes] US $4.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Manning,Bob - Our Wedding Songs CD-R [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Manning - Akoustik [CD New] US $17.91 Buy It Now 3 days
Mccombs,Cass - Bradley Manning [Vinyl New] US $9.48 Buy It Now 4 days
Bernard Manning Everbody's Fool Sheet Music Ex 1974 US $16.90 Buy It Now 4 days
Rubinstein: Piano Quartets [Rita Manning, Morgan Goff, Justin Pearson, Leslie H. US $21.04 Buy It Now 4 days
ROMANCE 40's Sheet music- from The DESERT SONG- DENNIS MORGAN,IRENE MANNING US $16.90 Buy It Now 4 days
SKIP MANNING - HAM 'N' EGGS - HOT CHUCK BERRY STYLE BLACK JIVER - REPRO US $11.82 Buy It Now 4 days
GET YOUR LOVING FROM ME 40's sheet music MANNING SHERWIN US $23.66 Buy It Now 4 days
More Real Gone Girls - Linda Manning, Dottie Jones, Annie Wright, Peggy Upton ++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Bernard Manning(7" Vinyl)I Only Live With You-Decca-F 13511-UK-VG/Ex US $8.43 Buy It Now 4 days
BARBARA MANNING Don't let it bring you down US $13.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Jesters Sing a Song for Peace / Manning Ave. Bang B-595 7" 45 Single US $12.59 Buy It Now 4 days
ECLIPSE-Lunacy-1995 FOX ROX MUSIC-Anthony Manning-MATT ZURAT-Jay Parisella-METAL US $9.99 [0 bids]
Linda Manning TEEN ANSWER 45 (Rice 5010) The Girl From Saginaw Michigan US $10.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Mitch Manning EARLY R&R 45 (Cole 2) Tom Cat/Time Out For Love US $8.95 Buy It Now 4 days
MARTY MANNING & The CHEETAHS Tarzan/Sunny 45 Rare Soul Mod Exotica HEAR US $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Bernard Manning/Joe "Piano" Henderson's All 40 Singalong Party Hits Album LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
As Is by Renee Manning (CD) 717297001329 US $5.39 Buy It Now 4 days
BILL SNYDER & DICK MANNING - IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SPRING // STATE FAIR - MINT- US $3.50 [0 bids]
CHAIN, Matt Taylor, Phil Manning, Western Flyer lps, TOWARD THE BLUES, NM - MINT US $269.51 [0 bids]
Barbara Manning & Seymour Glass - February 8, 1992 - 7" 45rpm Majora US $22.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Various Artists,2-CD,Lilith Fair,Indigo Girls,Paula Cole,Dayna Manning,Tara MacL US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
EL PASO ROCK Vol. 7 Terry Manning & The Wild Ones LP NEW Bobby Fuller Stax VINYL US $14.89 Buy It Now 4 days
Terry Manning, 13th Floor Elevators, Red Crayola, Bubble Puppy - U.K. SEALED cd US $9.72 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy MANNING music online Buy MANNING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANNING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANNING One Small Step... ratings distribution

MANNING One Small Step... reviews

3 stars 3.5 stars.This latest release from Guy is less complex instrumentally than his past work but he makes up for it with amazing melodies and lyrics. Other than the usual instruments we have fiddle, sax and flute. Actually Martin Orford (IQ) guests on flute. It's interesting that Guy uses some of the same melodies on different songs, so he takes you back to what is familiar.

There are a few songs that really stand out for me,"Night Voices" is simply beautiful and uplifting, "The Mexico Line" featuring fiddle and piano, is just a really good tune. I like Guy's passionate vocals too. And "Black And Blue" which is guitar driven, including some beautiful soaring guitar. I like the flute from Orford as well.

The last 8 songs are really 8 parts of one song called "One Small Step...". From what I understand he's asking the question "Why are we so intent on exploring space when ?...and we have 8 different topics, scenerios or questions to that main question. A lot of thought went into this record, especially the lyrics and song structures, and on top of all this if you like Folk, well... you'll die for this one !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#95542) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 23, 2006

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
2 stars This prolific British troubadour focuses on space exploration on this 2005 release. The first few couple of songs are actually the highlights, suffused with his warm baritone and elegant lyrical and musical phrasings. "In Swingtime" is suave and suits its title, with gently bouncing arrangements, while "Night Voices" is a classic melodic Manning ballad. While "No Hiding Place" and "The Mexico Line" are more complex, they lack the simple appeal of the previous tracks while remaining song oriented.

As is usual for Manning, the lion's share of his efforts, and his main beef, is applied to a suite. While several components are emotional and communicated with conviction, such as "Man of God" and its bookend, "God of Man", the majority seems to forget to generate excitement. "Star Gazing", "Black and Blue" and "Blink of an Eye" are far more verbose than what we have come to expect, a bit too blunt, even trite lyrically ("we're only here for a moment", "the great escape of the monkey into man", oof), while the instrumentation seems overly subservient to Guy's message. A plodding bluesy feel seems to be the mood du jour here, and not what we have come to expect from Manning, whatever theme he may be exploring. Unfortunately it doesn't really work, as it needs some sort of infusion. All the instrumentation is there, the voice is there, but the material and the execution are both somewhat wanting.

Compared to Manning's earlier efforts, "One Small Step" is at best sideways, at worst a retrenchment.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#168769) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 26, 2008

Review by Gatot
3 stars Progcustic!

One thing for sure when the first time I spun this album it reminded me to Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull acoustic work in terms of style and compositions. But when I look into deep there are differences between the two. First is the fact that this one by Manning does not depend in itself with flute rather it relies on saxes. Second, Manning's voice has less accentuation as compared to Anderson's even though there are some similarities in some music passages. Third, the use of acoustic guitar in this album is much more intense. Despite the differences, I almost pretty sure that if you like Jethro Tull acoustic version, you would definitely like this album. It's a joy listening to this album.

The opening track "In Swingtime" (4:30) is basically an upbeat music performed unplugged using acoustic guitar as main rhythm section augmented beautifully with string arrangements and drum beats. Through this track you might say close proximity of the song with Jethro Tull's acoustic music. Of course the nice sax solo played by Laura Fowles makes it different. It's a good track especially in terms of the smooth flow as well as melody line. The second track "Night Voices" (5:56) is my favorite due to it has an excellent tagline melody with reasonable number of changes in moods. The opening part with acoustic guitar augmented beautifully with string section has made a good impression in the very beginning of the track. When the vocal line by Manning enters into music stream, it sounds nicely. The chorus line is excellent. As with the opening track this one has a good flow as well. "The Mexico Line" (7:02) is a bit different with the first two tracks as it has some country elements.

The central focus of this album is probably the epic that comprises 8 parts where each part is represented by one track. It starts nicely with dynamic acoustic guitar at first part "Part I - Star Gazing" (4:34) which has some kind of mellotron work. Again, Manning vocal line is similar with Anderson. The music turns into more energetic nature in the second part "Part II - For Example" (3:03) where acoustic guitars sound aggressively here. "Part III - At The End Of My Rope" (2:04) provides some sort of musical break as the music is cooling down. "Part IV - Man Of God" (2:36) is another favorite of mine especially in the way Manning sings - it's excellent! The use of flute in "Part V - A Blink Of The Eye" (4:56) is really nice especially with the combination of acoustic guitar work. The epic flows nicely until Part VIII with consistent use of acoustic guitars as main rhythm section and sometimes takes control of melody as well. "Part VII - Black & Blue" (7:26) has a great opening especially with its bluesy nuance coupled with flute and saxes. The electric guitar solo is also stimulating. The epic concludes with "Part VIII - Upon Returning" (3:28).

Overall this is a good album which has solid composition, brilliant songwriting by Guy Manning and there are many prog elements in this album. I'd rather categorize the music as progressive acoustic (progcustic). The other interesting point of this album is its artwork by Ed Unitsky who used to design The Tangent albums. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#176597) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars After listening to Guy Manning´s latest two releases (the magnificent Ten and the brilliant Songs From The Bilson House) I felt the urge to find out more about this talented and prolific artist. A few years ago I bought One Small Step but I was disappointed at the time (I guess I was expecting something like The Tangent, the main reason I went looking for one of Manning´s records). So I felt the urge to hear it again under a new light. After all, Manning may be an important part of The Tangent, but his solo career has a style of his own. Besides, I had no recollection of what One Small Step sounded like.

Well, as much as I adore his later work, after repeated spins of the record, I still think One Small step as not at the same league as the last two. At least partially. The first two tracks, In Swingtime and Night Voices are excellent songs bearing all the trademarks of his best works: great melodies, clever lyrics, stunning arrangements and the overall feeling they couldn´t be better delivered. Both songs would be featured on either Ten or Songs... Unfortunatly the introduction and chorus of No Hiding Place reminds too much of 80´s pop cliches for my taste. Not a bad song (the maniacal sax solo during the strange middle section kind of saves the day), but not my cup of tea. The next track is Mexican Border, another tune that is not very inspiring. Again not bad, but quite below Manning´s usual excelent standard composition.

The centerpiece of the album is the 30 minute suite One Small Step. It is devided in 8 parts and while I found the lyrics very well done and interesting, the music fell short on this one. It seemed that Manning could not give the words the same exciting and varied musical landscape to go with them as he did so brilliantly on some of his works (like the masterpiece The House On The Hill from Ten). I like it, but I feel some kind of musical climax is missing. I guess it sounds better live than on the studio (the storytelling is fine).

All in all I found this CD to be better than I first thought. It has its merits and I´m glad to have bought it after all. But it is not for the newbie. If you´re new to Manning´s career you better get either Ten or Songs From The Bilson House before tackling this one. My final rating3,5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#233398) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009

4 stars Mixed impressions about this album. Based mainly in an acoustic mode, the first half consist in four traditional songs, and the rest is an epic tracked in 8 parts. The first half is simply outstanding, specially the first three songs. Great melody lines with Guy Manning voice shining all the t ... (read more)

Report this review (#1076599) | Posted by genbanks | Thursday, November 14, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Prog down the acoustic path. This is the seventh album from Guy Manning. The long album songs hints on Guy Manning going symph prog. To a certain degree, this is true. But instead of layer upon layers of electric instruments like keyboards and electric guitars, Guy Manning has largely gone acou ... (read more)

Report this review (#584039) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, December 07, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is a superb album centered around the ambitious 30 minute epic suite One Small Step... A different again album to its predecessor A Matter of Life and Death, but there again I am quickly finding out that the patterns & style of a MANNING album seem to change on an album by album basis. T ... (read more)

Report this review (#160318) | Posted by Topograph | Thursday, January 31, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars As a big fan of Guy, I have to say that my initial impression of this new album is disappointment. It is nothing to do with the musicianship but I find that the epic is not quite at the level of his previous ones and, for the first time, find that some of the songs are a bit too much for Guy' ... (read more)

Report this review (#70907) | Posted by | Thursday, March 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Manning - One Small Step Progrock Records (PRR139) The latest release from the prolific 'Manning', One Small Step, sees the talented troubadour in a more thoughtful and dare I say artistic mood. Fear not, all the usual Manning trademarks are still here, superb melody, strong rhythm, vocals ... (read more)

Report this review (#62171) | Posted by Paul Baker | Thursday, December 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guy Manning makes intriguing music every time and this won't be the one to let you down. At this pace, he may never slip or fall. He's surely made steps in the right direction. While his albums are broken into tracks, they usually follow one long theme. The whole album could be seen as one ... (read more)

Report this review (#58953) | Posted by | Friday, December 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guy Manning doesn't like to be called a singer/songwriter. That evokes images of the Joni Mitchells and the Bob Dylans of the world, and it's true that his music has little in common with those luminaries. Manning's sound is very different - it is full, with layer upon layer of progressive ins ... (read more)

Report this review (#58884) | Posted by | Friday, December 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars After last years almost perfect "A Matter Of Life and Death", my expectations for this new album were very high indeed. I really thought that Guy would have a hard job equalling, never mind bettering the quality of songwriting and playing on that disc. But he has and how! Whereas "A Matter of ... (read more)

Report this review (#58883) | Posted by larky | Friday, December 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MANNING "One Small Step..."