ONE SMALL STEP...

Buy MANNING Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

1. In Swingtime (4:30)
2. Night Voices (5:56)
3. No Hiding Place (9:33)
4. The Mexico Line (7:02)
ONE SMALL STEP...(Parts (I-VIII)
5. One Small Step (Part I - Star Gazing) (4:34)
6. One Small Step (Part II - For Example) (3:03)
7. One Small Step (Part III - At The End Of My Rope) (2:04)
8. One Small Step (Part IV - Man Of God) (2:36)
9. One Small Step (Part V - A Blink Of The Eye) (4:56)
10. One Small Step (Part VI - God Of Man) (2:30)
11. One Small Step (Part VII - Black & Blue) (7:26)
12. One Small Step (Part VIII - Upon Returning) (3:28)

Search MANNING One Small Step... lyrics

Search MANNING One Small Step... tabs

- Guy Manning / vocals, keyboards, acoustic 6/12 & classical guitars, electric guitar, mandolin, bass, drums & percussion, kitchen sink

Guest musicians:
- Laura Fowles / saxes, vocals
- Gareth Harwood / electric lead guitars
- Ian Fairbairn / fiddle
- Rick Ashton / additional / bass, backing vocals
- Martin Orford / flute (5 & PARTS I-VIII)

CD Progrock PRR139 (2005)

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MANNING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANNING One Small Step... Music

CHAIN, Matt Taylor, Phil Manning, Western Flyer lps, TOWARD THE BLUES, NM - MINT US $217.18 [0 bids]
35m 37s
Jayne Manning-Encore CD NEW US $16.20 Buy It Now 5h 23m
MARTY MANNING & CHEETAS & OTHERS ROCK MEXICAN LP 1967 US $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 6m
SCHOENBERG / JANE MANNING - PIERRE LUNAIRE NEW CD US $27.30 Buy It Now 6h 30m
CHAD MANNING - CHICKEN ON A ROCKETSHIP NEW CD US $25.87 Buy It Now 6h 31m
GELBER & MANNING - MOONLIGHT PICNIC NEW CD US $26.58 Buy It Now 6h 46m
BOB MANNING 50's Sheet music THE MISSION SAN MICHEL US $16.24 Buy It Now 8h 9m
GELBER & MANNING - GELBER & MANNING GOES PUBLIC NEW CD US $26.58 Buy It Now 8h 20m
Gravel Road by Lisa Manning (CD, 2007, Lisa Manning) US $8.95 Buy It Now 11h 19m
BERNARD MANNING 'HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART?' UK 7" SINGLE US $11.35 Buy It Now 12h 18m
Gypsy Girl/Nearness of You~ RCA 45 RPM ~Bob Manning w/Monty Kelly US $3.00 Buy It Now 12h 37m
BIRTWISTLE-Decca UK NB Head 7 LP-NM-HACKER/MANNING-2A/2A-ATHERTON-Shrink US $9.99 [1 bids]
Bob Manning Lonely Spell near mint original Capitol promo label w Monty Kelly US $23.99 Buy It Now 15h 13m
MANNING SMITH & THE RHYTHM OUTLAWS "JOHNSON RAG" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 16h 10m
Kimberly Murray & Bob Manning - One Night Only [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 16h 42m
GUY MANNING Akoustik (Festival Music 201210) CD; Neo-Prog Rock ...The Tangent US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 39m
GUY MANNING Akoustik #2 (Festival Music 201408) CD; Neo-Prog Rock ...The Tangent US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 41m
GUY MANNING Charlestown (Festival Music 201010) CD; Neo-Prog Rock ...The Tangent US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 43m
GUY MANNING Margaret's Children (Festival Music 201111) CD; Neo-Prog Rock US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 43m
GUY MANNING Number Ten 'Extended Edition' (Festival Music 201312B) CD; Prog Rock US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 44m
GUY MANNING One Small Step... (Festival Music 201004C) CD; Neo-Prog Rock US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 44m
GUY MANNING Songs From The Bilston House (Festival Music 201004D) CD; Prog Rock US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 45m
GUY MANNING Tall Stories 4 Small Children (Festival Music 201004A) CD; Prog Rock US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 46m
GUY MANNING The Cure 'Special Edition' (Festival Music 201004B) CD; Prog Rock US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 46m
GUY MANNING The Ragged Curtain 'Extended' (Festival Music 201312A) CD; Prog Rock US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 46m
GUY MANNING The Root, The Leaf & The Bone (Festival Music 201310) CD; Prog Rock US $16.23 Buy It Now 17h 47m
Lynn Manning Clarity of Vision CD *SEALED* US $4.39 Buy It Now 19h 32m
Cargoe - S/T ~ Rare 1st Promo - 1972 Ardent Records - Big Star/Terry Manning US $2.25 [4 bids]
Roger Manning by Roger Manning Alternative Rock New And Sealed Free USA Shipping US $6.99 Buy It Now 21h 54m
Jellyfish / Spilt Milk (CD) Andy Sturmer, Roger Manning, Jack Joseph Puig GREAT US $2.29 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB MANNING - JUST WHAT I WANTED NEW CD US $20.51 Buy It Now 1 day
THE_NETWORK (METAL) - BISHOP KENT MANNING [SLIPCASE] * - NEW CD US $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
TV EYES cd Jason Falkner Roger Manning Brian Reitzell JAPAN (Jellyfish) US $27.99 [0 bids]
MICHAEL MANNING Thonk CD steve morse ALEX SKOLNICK US $1.04 [2 bids]
HEARTS DON'T LIE - Film Sheet Music - Fun And Games - Manning Sherwin US $22.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Banjo Party with the Banjo Barons Marty Manning Columbia CL 1689 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Bernard Manning-I Only Live For You 7" UK Decca 45 1974 US $5.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Bernard Manning(7" Vinyl)I Only Live With You-Decca-F 13511-UK-VG/Ex US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BARBARA MANNING - 1212 - NEW CD US $8.18 Buy It Now 1 day
ROGER MANNING S/T SST 203 1988 US $43.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FASCINATION Waltz Song - 50's Sheet Music - DICK MANNING - F.D Marchetti US $16.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Anthony Manning - Chromium Nebulae - VERY RARE 1995 UK CD MINT Ambient Abstract US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NETWORK THE - BISHOP KENT MANNING COLORED VINYL Punk US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Banjo Party with the Banjo Barons Marty Manning Columbia CS 8489 US $2.97 [0 bids]
RAY MANNING SINGERS - BROTHER VERNARD JOHNSON PRESENTS (SEALED GOSPEL LP) US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Barbara Manning Sings With the Original Artists by Barbara Manning (CD,... US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVE MANNING - VINCENT ROLLS NEW CD US $25.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Jellyfish : Spilt Milk CD (1993) Andy Sturmer Roger Manning Tim Smith Jon Brion US $0.97 [0 bids]
MARTY MANNING & CHEETAHS: Sunny / Tarzan 45 (dj, tol, wol) Soul US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE RAY MANNING SINGERS ~ SELF TITLED ~ GOSPEL-FUNK-SOUL LP. VG+++ US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Terry Manning - Home Sweet Home [Vinyl New] US $21.16 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Manning - Spotlight on - Great..(CD) -24HR POST! US $24.59 Buy It Now 1 day
Manning songs from the bilston.. CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MATT TAYLOR PHIL MANNING BAND OZ BLUES ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $30.53 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Manning [Shanachie] * by Roger Manning (CD, Jan-1997, Shanachie) US $7.00 [0 bids]
MANNING - AKOUSTIK - NEW CD US $14.93 Buy It Now 2 days
SF Seals "Still?" 7" OOP Barbara Manning vinyl US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Sampler:Cloud Nine Music (Matthew Manning 1980s Music Sampler) US $1.61 [0 bids]
REGGAE ROOTS GLASFORD MANNING PROPHECY CALL LBL /OBSERVER US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BERNARD MANNING mackeson surprise 7" flexi disc in pic slv uk - US $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
Matthew Manning & The Enid 'Healing Hearts' CD New US $12.98 Buy It Now 2 days
45 RPM Vinyl Record Bob Manning, EAP 1-279, Capitol Records PS 45AME2 US $11.24 Buy It Now 2 days
BOB MANNING CAPITOL 50's LAUGHTER CAME TEARS US $0.99 [0 bids]
ROGER MANNING SELF TITLED ROCK LP MINT US $4.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Pop 45 Bob Manning - Gypsy Girl / The Nearness Of You On Capitol US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
1971 Ric Martinez Archie Fever Before/After the Game New Orleans Saints Manning US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Saint Louis Commissions, Manning, Rorem, Good US $13.45 Buy It Now 2 days
BOB MANNING Lonely Spell CAPITOL T682 Jazz Vocal 1950s US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
CAPITAL VIRTUOSI Jonathan Plowright Rita Manning Briony Shaw SOUND PROJECTS US $11.29 Buy It Now 2 days
TARYN MANNING cd rap BOOMKAT boom kat cat THE RECKONING wreckoning JAPANESE US $7.99 [0 bids]
Dave Manning - Vincent Rolls [CD New] US $18.98 Buy It Now 2 days
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Manning, Dayna: Shades Import US $43.94 Buy It Now 2 days
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ LIKE NEW CD Manning, Dayna: Shades Import US $30.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Sarah Manning CD Live at Yoshi's Two Rooms Same Door Digipak Rare Jazz US $3.00 [0 bids]
Bob Manning - Our Wedding Songs CD-R [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 3 days
EARL MANNING I WANNA PLAY FOR YOU BEAR /COLLECT CALL FOR SHUG RARE ORIGINAL VG US $2.99 [0 bids]
PHIL MANNING Manning LP 70s AUSSIE ROCK BLUES Chain US $26.16 Buy It Now 3 days
World Open Championships-Manning Bowl 1969-Volume 1-LP-Fleetwood-VG+ US $5.51 Buy It Now 3 days
John Manning White Bear 1971 Album VG/VG+ RARE Columbia C 30741 Folk Country US $124.99 [0 bids]
Cass Mccombs - Bradley Manning [Vinyl New] US $9.48 Buy It Now 3 days
ROMANCE 40's Sheet music- from The DESERT SONG- DENNIS MORGAN,IRENE MANNING US $16.24 Buy It Now 3 days
Barbara Manning B4 We Go Under 7" vinyl single record USA TEENBEAT102 TEENBEAT US $22.32 Buy It Now 3 days
Barbara Manning with the San Francisco SF Seals Nowhere - CD - 10Tracks US $23.74 Buy It Now 3 days
SKIP MANNING - HAM 'N' EGGS - HOT CHUCK BERRY STYLE BLACK JIVER - REPRO US $11.35 Buy It Now 3 days
GET YOUR LOVING FROM ME 40's sheet music MANNING SHERWIN US $22.74 Buy It Now 3 days
The Network - Bishop Kent Manning - 2009 (NEW CD) US $16.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Clarity of Vision by Lynn Manning (CD, Aug-1994, New Alliance) US $3.77 [0 bids]
More Real Gone Girls - Linda Manning, Dottie Jones, Annie Wright, Peggy Upton ++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Bernard Manning(7" Vinyl)I Only Live With You-Decca-F 13511-UK-VG/Ex US $8.10 Buy It Now 3 days
BARBARA MANNING Don't let it bring you down US $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
FLOPHOUSE Right Now 7" Vinyl HARP San Francisco Barbara Manning JC Hopkins US $8.10 [0 bids]
Linda Manning TEEN ANSWER 45 (Rice 5010) The Girl From Saginaw Michigan US $10.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Mitch Manning EARLY R&R 45 (Cole 2) Tom Cat/Time Out For Love US $8.95 Buy It Now 3 days
BOB MANNING, " MY LOVE SONG TO YOU " US $3.00 [0 bids]
MARTY MANNING & The CHEETAHS Tarzan/Sunny 45 Rare Soul Mod Exotica HEAR US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
As Is by Renee Manning (CD) 717297001329 US $5.39 Buy It Now 3 days
Jesters Sing A Song of Peace Manning Ave 45 Hear it US $7.00 [0 bids]
TARYN MANNING HAND SIGNED WITH COA ORIGINAL 8X10 PHOTO ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK US $69.78 [0 bids]
FARMER JOHN RABBITS RUN AUSTRALIAN LP 70s COUNTRY BLUES ROCK CADD RUDD MANNING US $82.85 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy MANNING music online Buy MANNING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANNING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANNING One Small Step... ratings distribution

MANNING One Small Step... reviews

3 stars 3.5 stars.This latest release from Guy is less complex instrumentally than his past work but he makes up for it with amazing melodies and lyrics. Other than the usual instruments we have fiddle, sax and flute. Actually Martin Orford (IQ) guests on flute. It's interesting that Guy uses some of the same melodies on different songs, so he takes you back to what is familiar.

There are a few songs that really stand out for me,"Night Voices" is simply beautiful and uplifting, "The Mexico Line" featuring fiddle and piano, is just a really good tune. I like Guy's passionate vocals too. And "Black And Blue" which is guitar driven, including some beautiful soaring guitar. I like the flute from Orford as well.

The last 8 songs are really 8 parts of one song called "One Small Step...". From what I understand he's asking the question "Why are we so intent on exploring space when ?...and we have 8 different topics, scenerios or questions to that main question. A lot of thought went into this record, especially the lyrics and song structures, and on top of all this if you like Folk, well... you'll die for this one !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#95542) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 23, 2006

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
2 stars This prolific British troubadour focuses on space exploration on this 2005 release. The first few couple of songs are actually the highlights, suffused with his warm baritone and elegant lyrical and musical phrasings. "In Swingtime" is suave and suits its title, with gently bouncing arrangements, while "Night Voices" is a classic melodic Manning ballad. While "No Hiding Place" and "The Mexico Line" are more complex, they lack the simple appeal of the previous tracks while remaining song oriented.

As is usual for Manning, the lion's share of his efforts, and his main beef, is applied to a suite. While several components are emotional and communicated with conviction, such as "Man of God" and its bookend, "God of Man", the majority seems to forget to generate excitement. "Star Gazing", "Black and Blue" and "Blink of an Eye" are far more verbose than what we have come to expect, a bit too blunt, even trite lyrically ("we're only here for a moment", "the great escape of the monkey into man", oof), while the instrumentation seems overly subservient to Guy's message. A plodding bluesy feel seems to be the mood du jour here, and not what we have come to expect from Manning, whatever theme he may be exploring. Unfortunately it doesn't really work, as it needs some sort of infusion. All the instrumentation is there, the voice is there, but the material and the execution are both somewhat wanting.

Compared to Manning's earlier efforts, "One Small Step" is at best sideways, at worst a retrenchment.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#168769) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 26, 2008

Review by Gatot
3 stars Progcustic!

One thing for sure when the first time I spun this album it reminded me to Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull acoustic work in terms of style and compositions. But when I look into deep there are differences between the two. First is the fact that this one by Manning does not depend in itself with flute rather it relies on saxes. Second, Manning's voice has less accentuation as compared to Anderson's even though there are some similarities in some music passages. Third, the use of acoustic guitar in this album is much more intense. Despite the differences, I almost pretty sure that if you like Jethro Tull acoustic version, you would definitely like this album. It's a joy listening to this album.

The opening track "In Swingtime" (4:30) is basically an upbeat music performed unplugged using acoustic guitar as main rhythm section augmented beautifully with string arrangements and drum beats. Through this track you might say close proximity of the song with Jethro Tull's acoustic music. Of course the nice sax solo played by Laura Fowles makes it different. It's a good track especially in terms of the smooth flow as well as melody line. The second track "Night Voices" (5:56) is my favorite due to it has an excellent tagline melody with reasonable number of changes in moods. The opening part with acoustic guitar augmented beautifully with string section has made a good impression in the very beginning of the track. When the vocal line by Manning enters into music stream, it sounds nicely. The chorus line is excellent. As with the opening track this one has a good flow as well. "The Mexico Line" (7:02) is a bit different with the first two tracks as it has some country elements.

The central focus of this album is probably the epic that comprises 8 parts where each part is represented by one track. It starts nicely with dynamic acoustic guitar at first part "Part I - Star Gazing" (4:34) which has some kind of mellotron work. Again, Manning vocal line is similar with Anderson. The music turns into more energetic nature in the second part "Part II - For Example" (3:03) where acoustic guitars sound aggressively here. "Part III - At The End Of My Rope" (2:04) provides some sort of musical break as the music is cooling down. "Part IV - Man Of God" (2:36) is another favorite of mine especially in the way Manning sings - it's excellent! The use of flute in "Part V - A Blink Of The Eye" (4:56) is really nice especially with the combination of acoustic guitar work. The epic flows nicely until Part VIII with consistent use of acoustic guitars as main rhythm section and sometimes takes control of melody as well. "Part VII - Black & Blue" (7:26) has a great opening especially with its bluesy nuance coupled with flute and saxes. The electric guitar solo is also stimulating. The epic concludes with "Part VIII - Upon Returning" (3:28).

Overall this is a good album which has solid composition, brilliant songwriting by Guy Manning and there are many prog elements in this album. I'd rather categorize the music as progressive acoustic (progcustic). The other interesting point of this album is its artwork by Ed Unitsky who used to design The Tangent albums. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#176597) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars After listening to Guy Manning´s latest two releases (the magnificent Ten and the brilliant Songs From The Bilson House) I felt the urge to find out more about this talented and prolific artist. A few years ago I bought One Small Step but I was disappointed at the time (I guess I was expecting something like The Tangent, the main reason I went looking for one of Manning´s records). So I felt the urge to hear it again under a new light. After all, Manning may be an important part of The Tangent, but his solo career has a style of his own. Besides, I had no recollection of what One Small Step sounded like.

Well, as much as I adore his later work, after repeated spins of the record, I still think One Small step as not at the same league as the last two. At least partially. The first two tracks, In Swingtime and Night Voices are excellent songs bearing all the trademarks of his best works: great melodies, clever lyrics, stunning arrangements and the overall feeling they couldn´t be better delivered. Both songs would be featured on either Ten or Songs... Unfortunatly the introduction and chorus of No Hiding Place reminds too much of 80´s pop cliches for my taste. Not a bad song (the maniacal sax solo during the strange middle section kind of saves the day), but not my cup of tea. The next track is Mexican Border, another tune that is not very inspiring. Again not bad, but quite below Manning´s usual excelent standard composition.

The centerpiece of the album is the 30 minute suite One Small Step. It is devided in 8 parts and while I found the lyrics very well done and interesting, the music fell short on this one. It seemed that Manning could not give the words the same exciting and varied musical landscape to go with them as he did so brilliantly on some of his works (like the masterpiece The House On The Hill from Ten). I like it, but I feel some kind of musical climax is missing. I guess it sounds better live than on the studio (the storytelling is fine).

All in all I found this CD to be better than I first thought. It has its merits and I´m glad to have bought it after all. But it is not for the newbie. If you´re new to Manning´s career you better get either Ten or Songs From The Bilson House before tackling this one. My final rating3,5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#233398) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009

4 stars Mixed impressions about this album. Based mainly in an acoustic mode, the first half consist in four traditional songs, and the rest is an epic tracked in 8 parts. The first half is simply outstanding, specially the first three songs. Great melody lines with Guy Manning voice shining all the t ... (read more)

Report this review (#1076599) | Posted by genbanks | Thursday, November 14, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Prog down the acoustic path. This is the seventh album from Guy Manning. The long album songs hints on Guy Manning going symph prog. To a certain degree, this is true. But instead of layer upon layers of electric instruments like keyboards and electric guitars, Guy Manning has largely gone acou ... (read more)

Report this review (#584039) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, December 07, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is a superb album centered around the ambitious 30 minute epic suite One Small Step... A different again album to its predecessor A Matter of Life and Death, but there again I am quickly finding out that the patterns & style of a MANNING album seem to change on an album by album basis. T ... (read more)

Report this review (#160318) | Posted by Topograph | Thursday, January 31, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars As a big fan of Guy, I have to say that my initial impression of this new album is disappointment. It is nothing to do with the musicianship but I find that the epic is not quite at the level of his previous ones and, for the first time, find that some of the songs are a bit too much for Guy' ... (read more)

Report this review (#70907) | Posted by | Thursday, March 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Manning - One Small Step Progrock Records (PRR139) The latest release from the prolific 'Manning', One Small Step, sees the talented troubadour in a more thoughtful and dare I say artistic mood. Fear not, all the usual Manning trademarks are still here, superb melody, strong rhythm, vocals ... (read more)

Report this review (#62171) | Posted by Paul Baker | Thursday, December 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guy Manning makes intriguing music every time and this won't be the one to let you down. At this pace, he may never slip or fall. He's surely made steps in the right direction. While his albums are broken into tracks, they usually follow one long theme. The whole album could be seen as one ... (read more)

Report this review (#58953) | Posted by | Friday, December 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guy Manning doesn't like to be called a singer/songwriter. That evokes images of the Joni Mitchells and the Bob Dylans of the world, and it's true that his music has little in common with those luminaries. Manning's sound is very different - it is full, with layer upon layer of progressive ins ... (read more)

Report this review (#58884) | Posted by | Friday, December 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars After last years almost perfect "A Matter Of Life and Death", my expectations for this new album were very high indeed. I really thought that Guy would have a hard job equalling, never mind bettering the quality of songwriting and playing on that disc. But he has and how! Whereas "A Matter of ... (read more)

Report this review (#58883) | Posted by larky | Friday, December 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MANNING "One Small Step..."