ZABRISKIE POINT - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations)

Various Genres

Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations) Zabriskie Point - Original Soundtrack album cover

Good, but non-essential

Studio Album, released in 1970

LP/CD1: (36:05)
1. Pink Floyd - Heart Beat, Pig Meat (3:11)
2. The Kaleidoscope - Brother Mary (2:39)
3. The Grateful Dead - Dark Star [Excerpt] (2:30)
4. Pink Floyd - Crumbling Land (4:13)
5. Patti Page - Tennessee Waltz (3:01)
6. The Youngbloods - Sugar Babe (2:12)
7. Jerry Garcia - Love Scene (7:02)
8. Roscoe Holcomb - I Wish I Was A Single Girl Again (1:54)
9. The Kaleidoscope - Mickey's Tune (1:40)
10. John Fahey - Dance Of Death (2:42)
11. Pink Floyd - Come In Number 51 , Your Time Is Up (5:01)

Bonus disc Rhino Records 1997 release
CD2: (55:03)
1. Jerry Garcia - Love Scene Improvisations - Version 1 (6:18)
2. Jerry Garcia - Version 2 (8:00)
3. Jerry Garcia - Version 3 (7:52)
4. Jerry Garcia - Version 4 (8:04)
5. Pink Floyd - Country Song (4:37)
6. Pink Floyd - Unknown Song (6:01)
7. Pink Floyd - Love Scene - Version 6 (7:26)
8. Pink Floyd - Love Scene - Version 4 (6:45)

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Zabriskie Point - Original Soundtrack lyrics

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Zabriskie Point - Original Soundtrack tabs

LP MGM SE 4668ST (1970 USA)
CD MCA 25032 (1986 USA)
CD Sony AK 52417 (1992 USA)
2CD Rhino Records 72462 (1997 USA)

Thanks to zabriskiepoint for the addition
and to Rivertree for the last updates

VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Zabriskie Point - Original Soundtrack Music

More places to buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) music online Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Zabriskie Point - Original Soundtrack ratings distribution

VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Zabriskie Point - Original Soundtrack reviews

Review by soundsweird
3 stars Fans of post-Barrett/pre-Dark Side Pink Floyd will appreciate the four "new" tracks found on disc two of this expanded version of the Antonioni film soundtrack. Many of those fans already have the original soundtrack, and it's a tough decision whether or not to shell out the bucks for this expensive package. On one hand, the other four tracks on disc two are dreadful guitar improvisations by Jerry Garcia (I like his solo work, as well as his work with the Grateful Dead, but this stuff is drivel). On the other hand, all four Floyd tracks are fairly long, so it's quite a bit of new material. Most of it is pretty good, too. As far as disc one, the Floyd tracks make it worth having. All told, it's about an LP's worth of Pink Floyd, so think of the price as, say, about what you'd pay for an import. I bought mine at a record convention, so I saved a few bucks.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#53642) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 28, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Floyd plays seven songs on this soundtrack. I haven't seen the movie and I will only review the Floyd tracks here.

"Heart Beat, Pig Meat " is remininsent of the Ummagumma" studio album and quite crappy.

"Crumbling Land" is a bit psychedelic and is reminiscent of the Barrett era. It is mostly acoustic. Although it is not a great track, it is not bad at all and could easily be featured on "The Piper...".

With "Come In Number 51, Your Time Is Up" it is a completely different story. It is actually another title for "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" one of my all time fave. This song will never be featured on a classic studio album (only as a single). You can also find a version on the compilation "Relics". It is of course, the Floyd in its pure psychedelic grandeur. The highlight here.

"Country Song" is a mellow ballad with an accousitc and na´ve introduction but a quite good chorus with some electric guitar sounds and turns out to be a good track.

"Unknown Song" is an accoustic psychedelic improv which is interesting in the sense that most of their psyche work was quite electric. This gives another dimension. But don't get me wrong : this is not a great track.

"Love Scene-Version 6" is a pure blues track. Quite unexpected for Floyd and also very, very dispensible. "Love Scene-Version 4" is a smooth piano-jazz track. Maybe that those two work better watching the movie, because as such they are really not worth anything.

In total, we get a bit over thirty four minutes of the Floyd's music of which fourteen are acceptable to very good.

We are far from the masterpiece here, believe me. For die-hard fans only. Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#107753) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Ah this thing. The film is terrible art house trash. Yes I saw it years ago and had no idea what the heck was going on. I remember the end of the film because a house is demolished in super slow motion to some very creepy music. The music sparked my interest as I was always intrigued by psychedelic music. Having watched the end credits I discovered the music was by Pink Floyd and that really had me intrigued as I had only heard more mainstream music from them such as The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon. I began to realise why the band had the reputation they had.

Admittedly the album is quite a disaster as there is not enough Pink Floyd to warrant purchase, and there is far too much throwaway material for soundtrack buffs. The Kaleidoscope are quite a good psych band but I could have done without Patti Page. Overall this is an icon from the distant past and to be honest it has nothing of interest apart from the three Pink Floyd tracks especially the last one. Disc 2 looks good but I only heard the vinyl. Collectors only need apply.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#753759) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars Even though the movie is considered by somebody a cult, I have tried several times to get into it but I've never found it interesting enough. The famous last scene with the explosion underlined by Careful With That Axe (here entitled "Come on #║51 It's Your Turn") is the only think that I remember of it.

The story of this album is quite bad: the director Antonioni appreciated the two works made by Floyd with Barbet Schoereder (More and Obscrued By Clouds)....and who wouldn't? But he quickly went into conflicts with the band, and we now something about the temper of Roger Waters. In the end Pink Floyd left him seven quite incomplete tracks and the director had to fill the movie with Grateful Dead and a bunch of artists from the SouthWest USA psychedelic scene.

This is the only album including official releases of "Point Me At The Sky" and "Crumbling Land" and unfortunately this is the only good reason that I see to have it (and why I actually bought it).

They're just a couple of uninspired songs with a country-rock flavor, specially the second, that might have been one of the reasons of the broken relationship. Antonioni hired Pink Floyd but was looking for something like Steppenwolf.

In the end it's Grateful Dead who have provided the most interesting effort while a country classic like Tennessee Waltz sounds extraneous to the story, even if I love this song in Eva Cassidy's version.

An album for Floyd's completists that I don't rate 1 star only because of Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#758895) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 26, 2012

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If the soundtrack of this legendary movie is relatively uninteresting for the average or casual proghead (unless he's in search for some rarities from the groups concerned), the movie itself is an astonishing time piece from director Antonioni, as much so as his other legendary movie Blow Up (with the Yardbirds' appearance).

Some may not enjoy the movie because of its loose storyline, but it's fairly typical of the spirit of the times. Indeed, the plot ir relatively patchy, but it holds a few avant-garde topics, namely the human expansion and environemental concerns. The end of the movie is particularly poignant with the scene of that modern mansion exploding under an early form of Floyd's Careful With That Axe, Eugene. Even 40 years later, that scene still sends chills down my spine. Aside that finale for the rest of the music's plece in the movie, it's a lot less noticeable, partly due to the difference between the soundtrack presenting the entire "songs" when the movie featured only bits and extracts. To be honest, for the proghead, it's ostly the Floyd tracks that matter. The second disc is somehow interesting because of the Love Scene's several trials, both from Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia and Floyd's runs. In some ways, it's kind of too bad Floyd lost that "bid" as well, but history won't be remade. If the Dead/Garcia pieces and the Kaleidscope (US group) songs are relevant pure psychedelia, the Floyd pieces are even more relevant. They're sonically somewhere in between the More Soundtrack and Ummagumma's live disc.

Zabriskie Point is like a few other movies depicting the later-60's era, such as easy Rider, Blow Up, The Trip, Model Shop (from French director Jacques Demy, with the involvment of the group Spirit), and a few more, often taking place in California(or London) All essential pieces of an psychedelic era gone by. Sorry if this reads more like a review of the movie rather than the soundtrack, but this new "expanded" reissue is not really more interesting than the original vinyl version that I'd borrowed from a frend in the mid-70's. I understand an extensive and luxurious boxset was released a few years ago, with even more unreleased material, but one might wonder why, since the movie was not included in it. If the soundtrack gets three stars for me, the movie gets nearly five in my book, hence the average I made.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#875610) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012

5 stars How such an incredible album is so obscured is something i can't understand. The sound is just like Obsucred by clouds (another essencial album), but with something extra i can't describe. In a way, it antisipates dark side of the moon, although there are 3 years in between and two albums. Just i ... (read more)

Report this review (#53513) | Posted by | Wednesday, October 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) "Zabriskie Point - Original Soundtrack"