LIFE ENIGMA

Jean-Luc Ponty

Jean-Luc  Ponty Life Enigma album cover

Buy JEAN-LUC PONTY Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Two Thousand-One Years Ago (4:20)
2. Signals from Planet Earth (6:03)
3. Infinite Human Caravan (6:37)
4. Lonely Among All (4:25)
5. Firmament (7:22)
6. Pizzy Cat (3:16)
7. Life Enigma (5:56)
8. Even the Sun Will Die (5:37)
9. Love at Last Sight (5:15)
10. And Life Goes On (6:01)

Search JEAN-LUC PONTY Life Enigma lyrics

Search JEAN-LUC PONTY Life Enigma tabs

- Jean-Luc Ponty / violin, keyboards, percussion
- Guy Christian Akwa N'Sangue / bass
- Moustapha Cisse / percussion
- William Lecomte / piano
- Thierry Arpino / drums

CD JLP 1 (2001)
CD JLP Productions 001 (2001)

Thanks to ivan_2068 for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

JEAN-LUC PONTY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JEAN-LUC PONTY Life Enigma Music

More places to buy JEAN-LUC PONTY music online Buy JEAN-LUC PONTY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JEAN-LUC PONTY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JEAN-LUC PONTY Life Enigma ratings distribution

JEAN-LUC PONTY Life Enigma reviews

Review by Flucktrot
2 stars Sanitized, unvirtuosic, meandering violin noodlings. Each song rarely distinguishes itself from the others, as they all start and end quietly, with no real climax or intensity in between. I see little fusion here: just a lot of violin above capable, yet unenthusiastic, session playing. For most of the songs, it's almost as if Ponty gave instructions for the players (especially the percussion and keys) to find a groove and continue it without variation for the duration of the song. Of course that's oversimplification, and some tunes (Signals from Planet Earth) deviate from the formula a bit, but there's no doubt that Ponty is the feature.

Unfortunately, Ponty often does not do enough in his leading role to keep the music interesting. The melodies are also not enticing enough to carry the tunes, leaving a pleasant, yet frequently boring, hodgepodge of songs. The title track is the epitome of this situation: a few places where Ponty cuts loose are cool, but the song is repetitive and overlong. At least the final two tracks demonstrate that the other players could contribute: a nice piano solo (Love at First Sight) and a capable bass solo (And Life Goes On).

This seems to me easy-listening, uninspired, adult contemporary Muzak with a slight Latin tinge. Not recommended for proggers. Ponty is light-years away from his early Zappa days.

Send comments to Flucktrot (BETA) | Report this review (#143599) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 11, 2007

4 stars I've been listening to JLP for years. I've seen him in person twice in my life. This is one of JLP masterpiece. The melody is humble and at the stratified level. The quality of sound is excellent and the melody and fusion context goes according with JLP past style. Albums like Imaginary Voyage ... (read more)

Report this review (#110069) | Posted by almc2242 | Wednesday, January 31, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Before I start, I just want to say I'm 22 years old, and was exposed to Jean-Luc Ponty via an old tape my dad made of "Enigmatic Ocean" when I was about 10. I really got into Fusion in high school, and it has since waned, but I still pop JLP, Weather Report, or Return to Forever once in a whi ... (read more)

Report this review (#68808) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 08, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JEAN-LUC PONTY "Life Enigma"