DESERTED PALACE

Jean-Michel Jarre

Jean-Michel Jarre Deserted Palace album cover

Buy JEAN-MICHEL JARRE Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Poltergeist Party (2:10)
2. Music Box Concerto (2:40)
3. Rain Forest Rap Session (1:37)
4. A Love Theme For Gargoyles (1:10)
5. Bridge of Promises (3:15)
6. Exasperated Frog (0:45)
7. Take Me To Your Leader (1:55)
8. Deserted Palace (2:10)
9. Pogo Rock (1:05)
10. Wind Swept Canyon (8:00)
11. The Abominable Snowman (0:55)
12. Iraqi Hitch Hiker (2:24)
13. Free Floating Anxiety (2:15)
14. Synthetic Jungle (1:35)
15. Bee Factory (0:55)

Search JEAN-MICHEL JARRE Deserted Palace lyrics

Search JEAN-MICHEL JARRE Deserted Palace tabs

- Jean-Michel Jarre / EMS synthesizer, Farfisa organ

LP 1972 FR (Sam Fox 1029) [ps]
LP 1972 FR (Eden ROC ER 62502)

Thanks to Bj-1 for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

JEAN-MICHEL JARRE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JEAN-MICHEL JARRE Deserted Palace Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Rendez-VousRendez-Vous
Sony International 2004
Oxygene 7-13Oxygene 7-13
Sony 1997

More places to buy JEAN-MICHEL JARRE music online Buy JEAN-MICHEL JARRE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JEAN-MICHEL JARRE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JEAN-MICHEL JARRE Deserted Palace ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(6%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(0%)

JEAN-MICHEL JARRE Deserted Palace reviews

Review by Bj-1
2 stars "Deserted Palace" was Jarre's first solo output, released in 1972. It displays lots of experimentation and noodling and the overall result is pretty weird, very close to early avant-garde electronic. The songs rarely last over 2-3 minutes, all of them being varied and experimental, some of them are actually pretty good, though some of them also fail to pleasure me badly! The songs are not easy to like unless you are open mided to genres like Krautrock or early progressive electronic genres fan, cause this is completely different from later Jarre albums, such as Oxygene and Equinoxe. It's like The Residents meets some weird experimental 70's electronica. The song titles might give you another idea how this album sounds, considering their similarities with the title and the melody. Jarre uses only a few keyboards here; EMS synthesizer and the farfisa organ to create this weird music, but if you ask me, he should have added a couple of more different keyboards here to make this album more varied and perhaps a bit more interesting overall.

If you are interested, get it (if you can find it, the original vinyl is extremely hard to find), but don't expect too much. But if you liked "Les Granges Brulčes" (Jarre's second album, a movie soundtrack), you'll probably like this one too!

2 stars are the most I can give to this album. I would have rated it 3 if the production and some of the songwriting were improved further and if the works had better melodies. For fans!

Send comments to Bj-1 (BETA) | Report this review (#55870) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 10, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars "Deserted Palace" is a rather unconventional piece of music. I wouldn't say that it is as daring as the "Kraftwerk" debut, but it holds some minimalism which at times reminds me of the German band ("Poltergeist Party").

This album is quite pioneering the electronic music in France. Of course, you shouldn't expect anything a la "Oxygen" but I have to say that except some very short pieces like the avant- garde "Exasperated Frog", "Iraqi Hitch Hiker" or "Bee Factory", this album deserves a listen.

I particularly like the Floydean "Bridge Of Promises" which indeed holds some promise about what's to come. My fave is the long (for this album) "Windswept Canyon". It is a combination of very melodic parts mixed with more experimental and complex ones. The highlight and a beautiful song. At times, it competes with some great German electronic bands (if you see who I mean).

This debut album is sometimes daunting, but for the time of recording (1972) it was innovative and totally not commercial. But this is partially due to J-M background of experimental artist / student. Needless to say that this work fully corresponds to the electronic prog genre.

This is an average album (five out of ten): at times very good, at times weak. Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#252955) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009

Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions and Crossover Team
1 stars Jean-Michel Jarre was never been that high praised among the Proggers, the only exception being Oxygen (1976).

I am not a big fan myself, but I listen pretty much everything related to Progressive Rock, so of course I tried this one too.

Usually I don't bash an album just for do it, and I don't review it as well. But this one is irresistible. I mean, this is so bad. It's almost impossible to understand.

Deserted Palace (1972) is the first solo effort by Jean-Michel Jarre, and being a keyboard/elextronics kind of guy maybe made it this bad. Too much nonsense experiments and jamming away.

From far one of the most horrible albums I've heard.

Send comments to ProgShine (BETA) | Report this review (#358149) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 20, 2010

3 stars "Deserted Palace" by Jean-Michel Jarre is a quite strange experience, in that I fully agree with previous reviewer. In contrast to Jarre's successful following albums, where long and spacy tones dominated, it's in "Deserted Palace" the opposite. Short "blipp- blopp" sounds. The tracks are a lit ... (read more)

Report this review (#59698) | Posted by 1971 | Thursday, December 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JEAN-MICHEL JARRE "Deserted Palace"