CRACK THE SKY

1. Hold On (3:00)
2. Surf City (3:54)
3. A Sea Epic (6:33)
4. She's A Dancer (3:54)
5. Robots For Ronnie (4:39)
6. Ice (4:36)
7. Mind Baby (4:32)
8. I Don't Have A Tie (3:04)
9. Sleep (7:48)

Search CRACK THE SKY Crack The Sky lyrics

Search CRACK THE SKY Crack The Sky tabs

- John Palumbo / lead vocals, keyboards, guitar
- Jim Griffiths / guitar, harmonies
- Rick Witkowski / guitar, harmonies
- Joe Macre / bass, harmonies
- Joey D'Amico / drums, harmonies

LP Lifesong #34994 (1975)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition
and to Snow Dog for the last updates

CRACK THE SKY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CRACK THE SKY Crack The Sky Music

Alexander Zonjic Reach For The Sky 2001 cd NEW! (small crack in case) USD $5.98 Buy It Now 1h 10m
CRACK THE SKY - From The Greenhouse - LP USD $11.96 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Crack in the Sky LP with Original Record Company Sleeve-LIVE SKY STEREO USD $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 52m
CRACK THE SKY Live Sky LP Vinyl VG Cover VG+ 1978 Lifesong 35620 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 32m
CRACK THE SKY Classic LP Vinyl VG Cover VG+ 1980 LS 8029 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 40m
CRACK THE SKY Safety In Numbers LP Vinyl VG++ Shrink 1978 BL 35041 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 40m
Crack The Sky "Lost In America" U.S. 7" Single USD $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Cut - Crack The Sky (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.00 Buy It Now 20h 38m
MACHINE [CRACK THE SKY/CRACK THE SKY] NEW CD USD $15.74 Buy It Now 22h 35m
CRACK THE SKY-Dog City 1990 Very Rare US AOR/Melodic Rock Org.GRUDGE records USD $15.50 [3 bids]
Crack The Sky-Live Recher Theatre 061999 CD NEW USD $18.91 Buy It Now 1 day
CRACK THE SKY - Dog City (1990 CD) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CRACK THE SKY s/t 1st album ** orig. US issue 1975 Prog USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Crack The Sky-Ostrich CD NEW USD $13.84 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN PALUMBO Innocent Bystander lp vinyl VG++ Crack The Sky Joey Molland USD $7.64 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY Safety In Numbers LP Vinyl VG++ Cover VG+ 1978 JZ 35041 Sterling USD $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY Safety In Numbers 8 track tape 1978 Original RARE USD $19.88 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY Live Sky 8 track tape 1978 Lifesong Original She's A Dancer USD $8.88 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY Animal Notes 8 track tape 1976 Lifesong Original USD $8.88 Buy It Now 2 days
MYLON FeFEVRE & BROKEN HEART..."CRACK THE SKY".....OOP GOSPEL ALBUM USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY LIVE SKY JZ35620 LP Ec3038 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
CRACK THE SKY 7" 45 rpm "I AM THE WALRUS" Lifesong 1978 PROMO BEATLES Song EX USD $3.00 [0 bids]
USD $4.00 Buy It Now
JOHN PALUMBO (CRACK THE SKY)-INNOCENT BYSTANDER +BLOWING UP DETROIT NM/VG+ LP USD $8.98 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY - Raw - vinyl LP Canada Grudge Records 1986 VG++/EX++ USD $5.83 [0 bids]
Crack The Sky - I Am The Walrus - '78 12" PROMO! USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY - Ice. New CD + sealed ** NEW ** USD $13.04 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY - SAFETY IN NUMBERS Lp - 1978 LIFESONG/CBS - LYRIC INNER SLV - NM USD $1.99 [0 bids]
USD $7.99 Buy It Now
Mylon Lefevre & Broken Heart - Crack The Sky USD $12.40 Buy It Now 2 days
Beauty Of Nothing - Crack The Sky 800212996821 (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.86 Buy It Now 2 days
Crack The Sky - Beauty Of Nothing [CD New] USD $17.03 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY: World In Motion LP (inner sleeve, cut corner, shrink) Rock USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Unknown Artist Cracks in the Sky CD USD $9.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Crack The Sky From The Greenhouse Promo CD Single USD $6.31 Buy It Now 3 days
CRACK THE SKY "Animal Notes/Safety In Numbers" '89 Lifesong 2 on 1 CD Prog Rock USD $8.50 [2 bids]
CRACK THE SKY - "I Am The Walrus"/"Lighten Up McGraw" 1978 - 7" 1st US PROMO USD $13.88 Buy It Now 3 days
CRACK THE SKY - ICE LIVE : Long Island NJ, 1976 (New & Sealed) CD USD $7.27 Buy It Now 3 days
Live: Recher Theatre 06/19/99 - Crack The Sky (CD Used Very Good) USD $16.57 Buy It Now 3 days
1987 MYLON LeFEVRE & BROKEN HEART - CRACK THE SKY CASSETTEE + PICTURE SLEEVE USD $2.61 Buy It Now 4 days
Safety in Numbers~Crack the Sky~1978 Lifesong Records~Polydor~FAST SHIPPING USD $10.75 Buy It Now 4 days
CRACK THE SKY "(We Don't Want Your Money) We Want Mine" Lifesong 45016 Promo! USD $0.99 [0 bids]
CRACK THE SKY "I Am The Walrus" Lifesong 1782 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
CRACK THE SKY "I Am The Walrus" Lifesong 1782 Promo! USD $0.99 [1 bids]
CRACK THE SKY "A Night On The Town (With Snow White)" Lifesong 1763 Promo! USD $0.99 [1 bids]
CRACK THE SKY "Techni Generation" Lifesong 45081 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
CRACK THE SKY Love Me Like RARE EDIT PROMO DJ CD Single USD $34.99 Buy It Now 4 days
CRACK THE SKY ~"MACHINE"~ NEW FACTORY SEALED MUSIC CD   USD $15.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Crack The Sky CD Rare! OOP '94 USD $21.85 [0 bids]
USD $33.45 Buy It Now
CRACK THE SKY - From the Greenhouse OOP '89 CD USD $9.00 [0 bids]
USD $16.25 Buy It Now
John Palumbo - Victim Of The Nightlife (CD, 1989, Grudge OOP CRACK THE SKY USD $8.75 [0 bids]
USD $12.75 Buy It Now
John and Ian Palumbo - Feed da cat '99 CD OOP Crack the sky BALTIMORE! USD $9.25 [0 bids]
USD $14.50 Buy It Now
? John Palumbo - Innocent Bystander (with 3 members of Badfinger) Crack the Sky USD $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
John Palumbo-Innocent Bystander (3 members Badfinger) Crack the Sky-timing strip USD $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
CRACK THE SKY - MACHINE CD NEW+ USD $20.05 Buy It Now 5 days
Crack The Sky Raw vinyl LP album record USA GR0963 GRUDGE 1987 USD $23.25 Buy It Now 5 days
Ostrich, 0800212996920, Crack The Sky USD $13.82 Buy It Now 5 days
Machine by Crack the Sky/Crack The Sky (CD, Mar-2010, Crack the Sky) USD $13.95 Buy It Now 5 days
The Sale by Crack the Sky (CD, Jul-2009, Crack the Sky) USD $13.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Ghost by Crack the Sky (CD, Apr-2011, Crack The Sky) USD $13.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Ostrich * by Crack the Sky (CD, Oct-2012, Aluminum Cat Recordings) USD $13.95 Buy It Now 6 days
Crack the Sky Saftey in Numbers orig Lifesong pressing 1978 (pre bar code vinyl USD $18.00 Buy It Now 6 days
CRACK THE SKY-WORLD IN MOTION 1-CRIMINAL PRT-1696 VG+/VG LP USD $5.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Mastodon - Crack The Sky Cd USD $3.63 [0 bids]
Monticello by Hard Road Trio CD Jun-2012 Baby distributor Crack in the Sky, more USD $9.00 Buy It Now 6 days
CRACK THE SKY 'RAW' US IMPORT LP USD $13.10 Buy It Now 6 days
CRACK THE SKY Classic LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ 1980 Lifesong LS 8029 Sterling USD $11.99 Buy It Now 6 days
CRACK THE SKY White Music LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ 1980 Lifesong LS 8028 Sterling USD $12.99 Buy It Now 6 days
* CRACK THE SKY - From the Greenhouse USD $29.95 Buy It Now 6 days
CRACK THE SKY: Live Sky LP (WLP, djt & promo stamp obc, slight cover wear) Rock USD $18.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Machine Crack The Sky Audio CD USD $23.68 Buy It Now 7 days
Knuckles Japanese Title CD Single Cracked Sky CSR-001 1997 USD $37.49 Buy It Now 7 days
? John Palumbo - Blowing Up Detroit (HME 39950) (of Crack the Sky) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Crack The Sky - Crack The Sky-Ghost [CD New] USD $13.05 Buy It Now 7 days
Crack The Sky - Crack Attic CD (autographed) USD $79.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Uncle Louie Crack the Sky JOHN PALUMBO Drifting back to Motown PROMO CD Single USD $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
John Palumbo Innocent Bystander 1978 Crack The Sky Lifesong Records Near Mint USD $6.00 Buy It Now 7 days
PLANT 43 Grey Sky Cracks 12" NEW VINYL A.i. Ltd Ed USD $14.99 Buy It Now 8 days
CRACK THE SKY: Techni Generation / Suspicion USA Lifesong Rock 45 VG++ USD $4.50 Buy It Now 8 days
VINYL 45 Crack the Sky - ( We Don't Want Your Money ) We Want Mine mono/stereo USD $7.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Crack in the Sky- From the Greenhouse- new/sealed cassette tape USD $10.00 Buy It Now 8 days
RAW CRACK THE SKY - US LP - MINT - STILL SEALED USD $8.73 Buy It Now 8 days
Crack The Sky From The Greenhouse US Promo CD Single USD $3.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Crack The Sky 45 SHE'S A DANCER mono / stereo ~ VG++ USD $2.12 Buy It Now 8 days
Crack the Sky-Ghost Crack the Sky CD USD $23.98 Buy It Now 9 days
Crack The Sky-Ghost - Crack The Sky (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.05 Buy It Now 9 days
Crack The Sky "Live!" 1976 U.S. Gold Stamp Promo Rock LP Lifesong SPDJ-100-1 USD $50.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Mylon LeFevre & Broken Heart~Crack The Sky~Myrrh Records~Xian~FAST SHIPPING!! USD $10.75 Buy It Now 9 days
Power Pop Rocker 45 CRACK THE SKY Lost In America GRUDGE 4750 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Crack The Sky - Safety In Numbers, 1978 LP Vinyl Records EX! #18 USD $14.63 Buy It Now 9 days
CRACK THE SKY -Raw NEW SEALED TAPE USD $4.98 Buy It Now 9 days
Crack The Sky - Cut [CD New] USD $15.49 Buy It Now 10 days
Crack The Sky - Lifesong 1764 - Long nights (M-) PROMO USD $3.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Crack The Sky - Lifesong 45016 - (We don't want your money) We want mine PROMO USD $2.50 Buy It Now 10 days
BEATLES COVER - Crack The Sky - Lifesong 1782 - I am the walrus PROMO USD $3.00 Buy It Now 10 days
CRACK THE SKY, ANIMAL NOTES, LP 1976 UK 1ST PRESS A1/B1 EX/EX INNER/SL USD $9.82 Buy It Now 10 days
Mylon Lefevre - Crack The Sky CD 1987 Myrrh [7016841618] USD $9.49 Buy It Now 10 days
CRACK THE SKY: Photoflamingo LP Sealed (corner bend) Rock & Pop USD $18.00 Buy It Now 10 days
LP Crack The Sky Safety In Numbers 1978 Original Lifesong JZ-35041 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Crack The Sky "Live Sky" 1978 VG+/VG Lifesong JZ 35620 Promo Copy USD $14.95 Buy It Now 10 days
CRACK THE SKY "LOST IN AMERICA / SAME" 45wPS PROMO MINT USD $4.75 Buy It Now 10 days
Crack the Sky Safety in Numbers vinyl LP original inner sleeve Lifesong records USD $5.99 Buy It Now 10 days

More places to buy CRACK THE SKY music online Buy CRACK THE SKY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CRACK THE SKY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CRACK THE SKY Crack The Sky ratings distribution

CRACK THE SKY Crack The Sky reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars A few weeks ago, I had the surprise to find CTS had been included on the Archives, but from memories of my Canadian teenhood and the few aural encounters I had with them, I had problems relating them to prog. My souvenir was of an average radio-friendly hard-rock band that had a promising debut album, but little more to offer the teen I was then and the prog buff adult I have become. So I set out to see if the national library had anything to lend, and much to my surprise, they did

CTS's debut album is a rather tight rock that approaches progressive moments - their third track Sea Epic is not far from Kansas (for the guitars) meeting Ambrosia (for the string arrangements), but mostly develops straight-forward short rock songs dominated by the guitars in general but the keys make regular appearances on this record, something that is to diminish with further albums. Robots and Sleep are also rather pleasant tracks, and Ice is quite inspired and maybe the most progressive track on the album, but there are some real stinkers (Dancer just to name one). On the whole this first album is, as I remembered it, worthy of notice. Too bad the following albums do not hold the promise made with this one.

Just in case you care enough to investigate, this album was coupled with their fourth studio - but fifth overall - album (an odd non-sequential pairing) by Lifesong Record in 8! (cat# LSCD 8801). While the debut is worth your investigation in case you have no other inspiration, the other record is definitely not.

Review by loserboy
4 stars Here is where it all began...the debut hard hitting album by the band known as CRACK THE SKY. This explosive art rock album is a true stonker housing many of the most fan loved tunes "ICE", "Hold On" and "Surf City". Musically this band play a slice of pure original progressive rock creating for themselves definitely their own unique sound and approach. On the Lifesong remaster they have included 4 extra bonus tracks offering some rare and unreleased bits for their past. The album even has a little bit of mellotron. An awesome album and deserves a lot for attention then they got.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars This was a very good debut for Crack The Sky. The songs are tight, well written and arranged. Although there are only two complete songs, plus a few instrumental parts on other songs I would say qualify as prog.

One thing that stands out is the way the musicians play together so perfectly. Joe Macre's snaky, rubbery bass is perfectly aligned with Joey D'Amico's drumming. And guitarists Jim Griffiths and Rick Witkowski aound like they grew up playing together.

One standout song is "A Sea Epic", which is, well, a sea epic. I won't give away the punch line. Another good one is "She's A Dancer", a gender-bender song with a great solo section at the end, featuring the Brecker Brothers and David Sanborn on horns. The best song is "Ice", the most proggy song on the record. This song is only four and a half minutes here, but live versions have been know to go over twice that.

Beware of the CD version coupling this album with the awful "White Music". It's missing "Mind Baby" from this album, where, if they needed the space, there are plenty of stinkers they could have dropped from the other album.

Review by Roland113
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog and Crossover Teams
4 stars In My Not So Humble Opinion:

Crack the Sky's eponymous debut is surprisingly good.

So, the bands for 3RP were being announced last winter and it was time for another big announcement. They had just announced It Bites and IQ, I'll admit, I was hoping for Frost*. Instead they announced "Crack the Sky". My first thought was "Who?" I mentioned this to my uncle who was a progger in his day and he mentioned how much he loved them. Sure enough, a couple of weeks later, I was given their first few albums to listen to. . . They're really good.

For starters, they do have a somewhat dated sound; this was obviously recorded in the seventies, though with progressive rock, that tends to be more of a badge of honor rather than a problem.

I'm hard pressed to describe exactly what they sound like, the best that I can come up with is this. Take the quirkiness of Mr. Frank Zappa's lyrics sung by a mellower John Fogherty and throw it over a more progressive version of Led Zeppelin. All in all, it's a pretty good combination. Guitarist Rick Witkowski in particular seems to emulate the classic Jimmy Page guitar sound.

"Crack the Sky" starts out with "Hold On" a rocking Zep sounding tune with some wonderful four part harmonies punctuating the chorus and odd musical breaks. This goes directly into the funky "Surf City". Again, the music has some odd moments of silence intermixed within the almost doo wop vocals.

"Sea Epic" is just that, a jaunting six and a half minute shanty about a sinking ship; chock full of mystery, intrigue and humor. The 'hero' starts the song out, nobly requesting that God save the Admiral and the Captain. Half way through, he apparently comes to his senses and prays for salvation for both himself and the cook. This is a well done song, again fully of epic harmonies and salty intrigue.

"She's a Dancer" reminds us to look before we leap; you never know quite what's lurking down there. Another well done song. "Robots for Ronnie" laments the fate of a boy who just can't seem to make any friends. The tearful chorus cries that we need to make robots for the child to keep him company.

All in all, the first five songs are all fantastic, each worthy of four stars in their own right.

"Ice" is another Zep sounding song, I'm not too terribly familiar with Zeppelin, but I'm thinking it's kind of a clone of "Children of the Sun". "Mind Baby" is forgettable.

"I Don't Have a Tie" has a Steely Dan feel to it, good vocals, good harmonies and kind of a funky groove to it This is the best track of the back half of the CD. "Sleep" is another classic rock sounding track with kind of an America feel to it.

And voila, we have "Crack the Sky", basically, the first five songs are great while the last half is a tour of the seventies classic rock scene. I give this one a four star rating, more like a three and a half which rounds to four. If you're looking for fun seventies rock, this is a band worth exploring.

Review by stefro
3 stars The frankly non-existent sub-genre of danceable prog seemingly begins and ends with the brazen American outfit Crack The Sky, a short-lived group who somehow fused a funky art-pop sensibility onto their furiously-inventive pop-prog melodies - and got away it. Featuring some wonderfully sharp lyrical observations, impressive musical interplay and some rather un- proggishly short songs, this quirky group's 1975 debut is living proof that there really was an artful side lurking beyond the limited confines of the mid-seventies American prog scene, a scene dominated by a handful of once-decent groups - Journey, Styx, Starcastle, Kansas - who nonetheless all managed to eventually adhere to the commercially-viable, stadium-rock sized aspirations of the cynical record company executives who controlled the purse strings. Crack The Sky, it seems, were the eccentric exceptions that prove this rule. Very much a product of the 1970's but sounding like they both: a) belonged to the eighties and: b) had been piping a certain drug found in their name, this was a group who sought to add a touch of hysterically campy new-wave glamour to proceedings, blending the high-brow creativity of groups like Yes and Genesis with the playful pazzaz of David Bowie, Roxy Music et al. It doesn't always work - sometimes the group overcook their formula to the point of silliness - yet when they do click, as on tunes such as the wonderfully absurd 'She's A Dancer', Crack The Sky really show their bones. Pity, then, that the five-piece are unable to fill-out an entire album with nuggets like these, as much of this debut album is divided between either the inspired or the insipid. Tracks like 'Surf City' seem half-formed, yet on the other end of the scale you'll find complex witticisms adorning tricksy time-signatures in almost perfect harmony, the excessively energetic 'I Don't Have A Tie' a testament to Crack The Sky's indulgent style. That said, this a very singular release, and at times the music defies labelling, a sure signifier of true progressive instincts. An uneven first try then, but this nicely ironic debut is just as technically enthralling as anything by your more serious-minded groups, and it's a genuine relief to find actual humour in the progressive rock genre that doesn't rely on the surreal or the fantastical. To put it mildly: you ain't heard anything quite like this before. STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars Crack the Sky ? What can I say? This band was about as unique and witty as it could get in 1975. Progressive Rock was just starting to mature, when this edgy Prog-Crossover group hit the scene. It is actually quite controversial among Progressive Rock fans as to whether this band is progressive o ... (read more)

Report this review (#846454) | Posted by TechnicallySpeaking | Sunday, October 28, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The best album from CTS. Progressive elements together with an often very groovy 70's hard rocking vibe. Very good arrangements within the group as well as horn and string sections. I like all the songs on the album but Ice is a very original track in 3/4 time. Its clever twists and effective br ... (read more)

Report this review (#187184) | Posted by Sacred Baboon | Monday, October 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CRACK THE SKY "Crack The Sky"